March 2014 Pīpīwharauroa

Page 1



Pipiwharauroa Paenga Whāwhā 2014

Ko taua wā anō!

Pukapuka: Rua Te Kau Ma Tahi

Panui: Tua Toru

Ka tū te rua tī ā te tangata Ka ka ia he tangata Waata. He would like to publicly acknowledge and thank everyone who supported him in gaining this promotion including those from Gisborne who travelled to Wellington for the interview.

Waata Shepherd - He ingoa i rangona whānuitia i tēnei rohe i ngā tau kua taha ake. I taua wā ko ia te Āpiha Rangatira o Te Tari Pirihimana o te Tairāwhiti. Inaianei kua tohua a ia hai Tumuaki Whakahaere i ngā Pirihimana o ngā Moutere i Whanganui ā Tara.

Te tīmatanga o te hīkoi ā ngā tauira o Tūranga Ararau. Ko te marae ō Whakatō

Ia tau ka pōhiritia ngā tauira ō Tūranga Ararau kia whakakotahi i raro i te maru ō Tūranganui ā Kiwa, nā reira ia tau ka whakaritea he marae nō Tūranganui hei whakatau i a rātou. Ahakoa nō ngā mātāwaka, nō ngā hau e whā kāre he aha. I raro i te maru ō Tūranga Ararau,ka noho kotahi, ka mahi tahi, ka ākona ki ngā kaupapa e tōtika ai rātou hai oranga mō rātou me ō rātou whānau. Koia rā te wawata. I pōhiritia rātou ki te marae o Whakatō e Moera Brown, ā, nā tōna tungāne nā George Brown i whakatau. Ānō te ātaahua o te tū a te tungāne me te tuahine. Tika tonu ma rāua e tū tō rāua marae. Tau ana! Te Waimarie mārika ō Tūranga Ararau. Ka mihi hoki ki te kaumātua ō Tūranga Ararau ki a Temepara Isaac. Nāna i whakatau ngā tauira i taua rā whakahirahira. Ana, rua rau i whanake i runga i te karanga. I muri i ngā whaikōrero me te paramanawa ka neke te tira ki Mōrere ki reira kaukau ai i roto i ngā ngāwhā me te tākaro whakakotahi i a rātou. Ahakoa te karawhiuwhiu a te hau, kāre he aha ki ngā taiohi me ngā pākeke i noho ki te kai miiti rorerore.

Previous Area Commander in Gisborne Waata Shepherd has recently been promoted to Superintendent and Executive Director of the Pacific Islands Chiefs of Police and is based in Wellington. ‘The new role involves working with the Chiefs of Police of 21 countries in the Pacific towards building the capacity in those organisations. NZ Police works in conjunction with the Australian Federal Police and NZ Foreign Affairs and Trade in doing this,’ says Superintendent Waata Shepherd. ‘I will have four staff in Wellington based at Police National Headquarters but will spend some time in various countries across the Pacific carrying out the new role.’ Waata has held various roles since leaving Gisborne in March 2009. He initially went to Manly in Sydney to work for the Australian Institute of Police Management for a year before returning and working at the Police College in Porirua. Following a year of leave without pay and working for Tūranga Ararau, Waata then worked for the Māori Pacific Ethnic Affairs division (Cultural Affairs) at Police National Headquarters in Wellington before applying for, and gaining, his new role. ‘Taking up the new role is exciting however there are many challenges that the Pacific and their Police organisations face leading into the future and my role is to help them in meeting those challenges,’ concludes

E ai ki a ia e whaipānga tēnei tūnga ki te rua tekau ma tahi moutere o Te Moananui ā Kiwa ki te whakaraukaha i ngā mahi i waenga i aua roopu whakahaere. Ka mahitahi ngā Pirihimana ō Aotearoa, ngā Pirihimana ō Ahitereiria, Te Manatū mō ngā Take ō Tāwāhi me te Tauhokohoko hai whakatutuki i ēnei āhuatanga. Tokowhā ana kaiāwhina kai te Poari-aMotu ō Whanganui a Tara, engari ko te nuinga o te wā kai te huri haere ia i ngā moutere ki te mahi i ngā mahi kua whakatauria. He nui ngā tūnga rerekē i riro i a ia i tana mutunga mai i te Tari Pirihimana ō Tūranganui i te tau 2009. I haere ia ki Manly ki te mahi mo te Mana Whakahaere o Ahitereiria mo te tau, ka hoki mai anō ki te mahi i Te Kāreti Pirihimana i Porirua. Nō muri mai ka mahi i Tūranga Ararau mō te wā poto. Inā tata tonu nei ka heke atu ki Whanganui ā Tara ki te mahi mō Te Manatū Tikanga a Iwi mo ngā Māori me ngā Iwi o ngā Moutere i te Tari Takutahi Pirihimana ō Whanganui ā Tara i mua i tana tononga mō tēnei tūnga hou, ā waimarie atu ana. “Ahakoa rā, te whakaihiihi o tēnei tūnga, he nui ngā pikinga kei mua mo ngā Pirihimana o ngā moutere, ā, ko taku mahi he āwhina i a rātou ki te taumata o aua pikinga.” Ko tāna, he mihi ki te rahi o Tūranganui i heke ki te Ūpoko o te Ika ki te tautoko, ki te āwhina i a ia i te wā uiui mo tēnei Tūranga.

Te waiata whakatau a te paetapu

Morere Springs - Kei te mahi takaro ngā Tauira o Tūranga Ararau

Kei te haruru ngā Tauira ki te hau kaingā Kei te whaikōrero ā Temepara Isaacs mō ngā Tauira o Tūranga Ararau

Inside this month...

Pages 4-5

Te Hīkoi ā Te Aitanga ā Māhaki

Middle Pages Whānau Show

Page 12

Te Hau Ki Tranga

Page 16

Page 15

tranga health

tranga Ararau

Tolaga Bay Kids Horse Sports 2014 For more information on Horse Sports locally visit the facebook page:

Pīpīwharauroa takes its name from ‘He Kupu Whakamārama Pīpīwharauroa’, which was printed in October, 1899 by Te Rau Print and edited by the late Reverend Reweti Kohere. Pīpīwharauroa was re-launched on 20 October, 1993. Produced and edited by: Te Rūnanga o Tūranganui-ā-Kiwa Tūranga Ararau Printed by: The Gisborne Herald Email: Phone: (06) 868 1081

Photos courtesy of Marg Price

And on the next field over, a mighty game was going on




Founded October 1898 Pukapuka: Rua Te Kau Ma Tahi Pānui: Tua Toru Te Marama: Paenga Whāwhā Te Tau: 2014 ISSN: 1176-4228 (Print) ISSN: 2357-187X (Online)

Eke Hoiho


Pipiwharauroa Pipiwharauroa Page 2

Pipiwharauroa He Kōrero

behind the person in front and therefore there is no real opportunity to talk with anyone. That was definitely testing especially for me. I enjoyed every minute of the run, even though my legs were killing me!

Kōrero Time with Mātai Smith

Is it as much a mental game as it is a physical one? My injuries really tested me physically, but it is the mental game that will get you over the line. Some of the most athletic people did not finish the race. While my body was as prepared as it could be, my mind was more than ready and there was no way I was not going to finish.

Last month, my whanaunga David Jones participated in an event most of us can only dream of, the Taupo Ironman! I had heard through the grapevine that he was going to attempt it and I must admit, I didn’t think he’d follow it through but, man, did he prove me wrong! After months of training and blood sweat and tears, David became the pride of Manutuke and Rongowhakaata when it became public knowledge via social media aka Facebook that he had completed the Ironman and crossed that event off his bucket list! He had me close to tears when I saw the images and I could only imagine what physical, emotional and mental stress he went through to complete that amazing feat. Therefore I just had to know more and said, “Whanaunga I need to interview for the Pīpīwharauroa, get your breath back and here we go…” So David, what on earth motivated you to do the Iron Man? I had many things motivating me, I had just completed my first Ironmāori and I had this little whakaaro in my head that I could maybe do the whole Ironman. Ironmāori is a half ironman but still challenging. I had trained for a year with some of our roopu in Wellington of Tri Poneke. One of the Tri Poneke wahine, Ginny Whatarau was training for Ironman throughout 2012. She trained for a whole year but, on the day, she got a tummy bug and was really sick. However she decided to continue on and although it was really difficult she struggled through the whole day. She couldn’t get any nutrition into her body so did the whole thing off adrenalin. She was the last person to cross the finish line just 20 seconds before the official cut off time, her journey was inspiring. I told her so and she told me to sign up and volunteered to coach with a training framework. With no other excuses available to me I thought, ‘Why not?’ and signed up. When I was training for Ironmāori, I didn’t tell many people. However, word soon got around about my decision to try out the Taupo Ironman, some people said, “kā pai you” while others were having a bit of a laugh at my expense and questioned whether I could do it. That type of kōrero is human but it was also the fuel to get me motivated. What training did you do? I had been training for just under a year, but the training I did had to be tailored to my situation. All year I had problems with my IT band syndrome which pretty much means that when you run, after a while you start getting what feels like daggers in the side of your knees. I had to substitute some long runs with aqua jogging. In August I ended up in a moon boot after my foot was hit by a hockey ball causing all sorts of ongoing issues. I also had a nasty crash on my bike where I flew off on the motorway. So my training runs had to be quality sessions and my rest days were just as important. After the Ironmāori, I continued to train with two to three hour runs, one to one and a half swims and four to seven hour bike rides. Many times, especially during the Christmas break, I was doing combinations and all of these at the same time in one training session. My longest and hardest session was a 1.5 hour swim, a 6.5 hour bike and a 4 hour hill run. Needless to say, the training paid off, but boy was it testing on the body and the mind. Were there times you thought I “CAN’T DO THIS” during the prep? You have some fleeting moments where you ask yourself whether you can do it and why are you doing it. I think it is the ‘why’ that keeps you going. For me, I had committed to something and come hell or high water, I was going to finish it. The only way I could finish it was to do the training. About a week before Christmas, I rolled my ankle while training and was pretty cut up, I even started to doubt whether I could get through my

Page 3

Well on the way for the enduring 180km bike ride

Photo courtesy of Pimia Hewitt

‘self imposed’ challenge. But then I thought about how all that training would be wasted if I didn’t even get to the start line. I tested to see if my leg could weight bear, fixed it up, took a couple of days off and started again. Who did you train with? In Wellington, I trained with another whanaunga from home, Piripi Rangihaeata. He was good value and we kept each other company when we did meet up for trainings. We also had some awesome support from our Tri Poneke roopu in Wellington but most of my training sessions, especially the long ones, were by myself. How intense is it actually? The ironman is as intense as your mind makes it. I’m not saying it is easy, definitely not. The Ironman is there to test you, like a taniwha there to take you down. Either you face the challenge and conquer it or you let the taniwha conquer you. To put it into perspective, it is a 3.8km lake swim, a 180km bike ride and a 42.2km marathon run to finish. So it’s a bit of a big taniwha. So, talk us through the morning… On the morning I woke up at 4:30am, had my set breakfast of porridge, played my sounds to get me into the zone and headed down to rig my bike. My dad came with me to the rigging station and helped me for which I was really grateful. There were around 1,700 people doing the same thing. The sun broke through the darkness and light appeared on the horizon. We were then at the lake front and all of our whānau past and present Ironmaori contenders were standing together under the Ironmaori banner having karakia. We greeted each other, made our way to the water and waited for the canon to fire at 7am. 1,700people wading in the water ready to get set and go is a sight to see! And the actual race, when was tipping point for you? I enjoyed most of the race and reminded myself how hard I had worked to get there, I knew that it was my time. The swim was really good. Many people get kicked in the head, and others get swum over but I had a nice patch of water around me and took off. The bike ride was not easy. It was an undulating 90km course that you had to do twice. At the turn around point on the return you had to go up a steady incline that not only tests you physically, but mentally as well. The wind picked up and was blowing in our faces. At one stage I saw some big twisters in the paddock and knew I had to get moving! The last 30kms for me was the toughest. The fatigue started setting in, I had been on the bike for just under 6 hours straight by that stage and the last 30kms is the most hilly. I got cramps in my legs and the mental games start happening. I was heading up a hill at 10kms an hour and keep arguing with myself. One voice was saying, “hurry up, you should be going faster” and the other was saying, “you have done the Wharerata hills, this is nothing! Keep turning those legs.”

Who went to support you? All my immediate whānau came to support me, my mates from Wellington, my Tri Pōneke whānau from Wellington, the Ironmaori whānau, my mum’s whānau who live in Taupo and of course, my coach who conquered that taniwha the year before. How important was it for you knowing you had whānau there to cheer you on? Having whānau support is the number one thing for me. It is a hard road to get to the start line, but having them there cheering you on gives you a bit more energy and lifts the wairua to keep you going. I am really grateful for all the whānau support, it made what is a really hard day that much easier. How did you feel when you crossed the finish line When you cross the finish line, there are five words the commentator yells: “David, you are an Ironman!” Those words, along with seeing my whānau waiting there is such an awesome feeling. You get a bit overwhelmed having everyone around you at the end of what was a full year’s commitment and sacrifice. Even today, the enormity of it all still hasn’t really sunk in. What does this mean to David Jones? For me, this was about taking on a big kaupapa and finishing it for no other reason than it would test me physically and mentally. More importantly, it was about me working on getting my hauora right. I’m not fully there on the weight front but I’m healthier, fitter and stronger for having completed the ironman. What next? New York? I have thought about New York, but have just seen a marathon on the Great Wall of China in May next year. That would be cool to go and do, so you never know! Any words of advice to others contemplating doing it? If you are contemplating doing it, have a plan. It is time consuming, it costs a lot of money with the $950 registration fee plus gear, training nutrition every week and physio, doctors, chiropractors and the likes if you get hurt, but it’s rewarding. I would recommend you find a coach or someone who can help you with a training framework so that your training is focussed. Finally, if you make the decision, go for it! It is a hard and, at times, a lonely journey, but it definitely builds character and you will be all the more thankful for the experience when it’s all over. As I heard at Ironman, “nothing is impossible to the willing mind”. Ka nui aku mihi ki a koe e te uri ō Taharākau, ka tika hoki te kōrero ā tō tātou tipuna, “He tata a runga, he roa a raro.”

By the time I had finished the argument with myself I was at the top of the hill. Arriving back at Taupo It felt really good to know that all I had to do was get through the run and I would have conquered it. It gets lonely on the bike as you have to stay 10 metres The 3.8km lake swim has commenced

Photo courtesy of Pimia Hewitt

Page 4

Pipiwharauroa Te Hīkoi ā Te Aitanga ā Māhaki

TE AITANGA Ā MĀHAKI HĪKOI FOR TE TREATY OF WAITANGI CLAIMS Pōpō! Pōpō! E tangi ana tama ki te kai māna The sacred being seeks sustenance and sustainability The purpose of the hīkoi for Te Aitanga-ā-Māhaki was to discuss and explain the Te Aitanga-āMāhaki Trust Mandate to our Iwi living away from Tūranganui-ā-Kiwa. Saturday 15th March Left Tūranga at 9.15am after karakia by Charlie Pera, Te Pou Tikanga o Te Haahi Ringatu. Our team consisted of John Tupai Ruru, Chairman of Te Aitangaā-Māhaki Claims Wai 283 and 274, Pehimana Brown, Chairman of Te Aitanga-ā-Māhaki Trust, Willie Te Aho, Lead Negotiator and Robyn Rauna, Project Manager and other roles. Support kuia were Matriarch Paeroa Rawinia Te Kani, Mereaira Kerr and Win Ruru with Koroua Charlie Pera. Tūranga Health provided the van and driver Max Reardon. Many thanks Reweti and Max. After a quick stop at Wairoa we headed to Napier for our first mandating hui which was held at the Quality Inn at 2pm. There was an excellent attendance of whānau who were all pleased to be meeting each other and the home kāinga group. Some of the whānau present had never been to a Māhaki hui regarding the Treaty claims but felt it was time they informed themselves and their whānau about what was happening and show their support for their Iwi. After karakia by Charlie and a kōrero from John, Willie Te Aho did his presentation which was well received then he took questions from the floor. After the hui people ensured they had registered themselves and their whānau. A rolling afternoon tea was available to all and much appreciated. Our contact person here was Casey Whaitiri Tapara, kia ora Casey. I must mention here that Robyn had set up the venue for the meeting with large coloured photos of our Māhaki Whare Tipuna. These were inspiring and drew our people to them as did the many booklets titled ‘Tūranga Marae directory’ that had photos of ngā Marae in Tūranga. Also available for our iwi was the February edition of Pīpīwharauroa. As is usual with our people who live away from home, many were reluctant to leave but eventually saw us off as we had to be at the airport to fly to our next destination which was Auckland. As we boarded our plane we had a downpour of rain and that was about all we experienced of ‘Cyclone Luci’ at 5.35pm.

grandfather Karauria Ruru. Rawinia spoke of two areas where this took place, one handy to Rangatira Marae and the other at Repongāere where the river overflowed onto the grass. There she could grab the eels by hand and throw them straight into a sugar bag. He also showed her how to feel for them. It’s hard to imagine a little eight year old girl going out and catching tuna but listening to her it seems to have been no trouble at all to her. 16th March Sunday After a good night’s rest we headed to our next venue being Awanuiārangi Unitech, Mt Albert for a 10am start. Our contact folk there were Tapeta and Annette Wehi , kia ora korua mo tō awhi a mātou te whānau whānui. Again the venue set up with ngā Whare Tipuna was well received. The hui commenced with karakia by Charlie followed by kōrero from John and Pene then everyone at the hui introduced themselves which was really good as you could hear the comments ‘that’s so and so’s whānau, that’s George Parekowhai’s son Michael the well known artist’ and so it went on. Willie once again did his presentation took questions of which there were many from the whānau. I must mention here that young Alex Hawea was present with his aunty Betty Whakatau and his mum Barb Hawea. When Te Rūnanga o Tūranganui-ā-Kiwa was in its infancy, Barb brought baby Alex to every Rūnanga hui and he cried consistently every time. I used to refer to him as our ‘Rūnanga Baby’ and there he was taking an active interest in the affairs of his Iwi. As elders we look to our young people like Alex to be part of moving us into the future. There was again excellent attendance at this hui with a third being from the Wehi/Kerekere whānau. Prior to the hui closing Pare Keiha thanked the group for all their work and to John for submitting the claim for Māhaki. The hui closed at 11.30, registrations and voting took place and after a fabulous brunch we took off to the airport and flew out to Christchurch arriving at 3.30pm. We kept wondering when ‘Cyclone Luci’ was going to show herself but there was no sign of it, only slight rain on our arrival. Prior to our meeting in Christchurch which commenced at 6pm at the Sudima Hotel where we were staying our kuia Rawinia shared her Māhaki whakapapa with us which was so interesting. Again at the venue for our hui photos of ngā Whare Tipuna were displayed and very much appreciated. Although the group was smaller they were very interested and after Willie’s presentation he again took questions. A light meal was enjoyed by all after our hui. Kia ora to Angelia Tahameto-Ria our contact person. Monday 17th March After a good night’s rest we flew out for Wellington at 9am. Who said it’s always windy and wet in Wellington! The sun was shining and it was a beautiful

day. After checking into our hotel and with a bit of time to spare Willie organised with Arapata Hakiwai the Kaihautū and Associate Director of Te Papa Tongarewa to visit and view ngā taonga in the Māori Section. This required us to go down into the bowels of the earth, well that’s what it felt like to me, where Shayne James, a Māori Collection Manager, showed us around. It was absolutely wonderful, we saw carvings and tools, korowai, kete, piupiu and the original flag that was flown when the Treaty of Waitangi was signed. What a feast for the eyes and oh how talented our people of yesteryear were with their hands and their hinengaro. We also viewed taonga that belonged to Wi Pere, Rongowhakaata and Māhaki. The whole collection in this section is huge and I guess not everything will find its way to be exhibited to the public. Finally we visited and sat in Te Hau Ki Tūranga. Kia ora Arapata me Shane mo tō manaaki i a mātou. It wasn’t long before it was time for our 6pm hui at the hotel where we were staying. Again our Whare Tipuna were on display and well received. The hui was started with karakia then John opened the meeting. All present introduced themselves followed by Willie with his presentation and then questions from the floor taken. Prior to registrations being completed David Kingi, Helen Lomax, and Rangi Cairns thanked the group for all their mahi over the past 22 years since the claim was first submitted and George Ria concluded with encouragement to the group. Charlie closed the hui and we all enjoyed a snack together. Our contact person here was Raana Tangira-Kerekere – kia ora Raana.

Beatrice Brown (daughter of Barry and Moana Brown) with Pene Brown, chairman of Te Aitanga ā Māhaki Trust, at the Christchurch Hui

Tuesday 18th March Well whānau it was back to sunny Tūranga arriving at 9.30am. It was good to be home. Sunday 23rd March Te Aitanga-ā-Māhaki met at Rongopai to discuss the hikoi, its purpose and other matters that arose. There was an excellent attendance that included Te Whānau-ā-Kai and Ngāriki Kaipūtahi of at least 90 people. After the hui Willie advised that requests had been made by whānau from Waimana, Opotiki and surrounding areas for us to visit Whakatane, Rotorua and Hamilton as they were not able to come to the previous hui. So with this in mind we took off once again on Monday 24th March in the late afternoon in preparation for a 9.30 hui at Whakatane the next day. Tuesday 25th March

Rawinia Te Kani with Casey and her tane at the Napier hui.

9.30am at Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa. The CEO Enid Leighton came and welcomed us prior to our hui.

Auckland We arrived in Tāmaki Makaurau about 7pm. While waiting at the airport prior to going to our hotel, the ladies had a session with Rawinia who related how she was taught to catch tuna by hand at the tender age of eight years. Her teacher was John’s

Christchurch Hui. L/R Robyn Rauna, Raewyn Trafford, Beatrice Brown, Rawinia Te Kani, Angelia Tahameto-Ria with her daughter, Mereaira Kerr, and Win Ruru

The pictures of ngā Whare Tipuna were again displayed and much appreciated and again there was a good attendance. Charlie opened the hui with karakia followed with kōrero from John with Willie completing his presentation. Questions from the floor were received after which registrations were

Pipiwharauroa Te Hīkoi ā Te Aitanga ā Māhaki

Page 5

Willie Te Aho has the floor at Te Rūnanga o Ngati Awa, Whakatane. Next to John Ruru is Bill Keiha (seated) who lives in Whakatane.

completed. The meeting concluded at 11.30am.

Kia ora Gail.

Tom Ruru wished to let his 25 mokopuna know what was happening and asked how he could contact them all. Robyn recorded him speaking to his mokopuna then sent the message around the world via what I guess is ‘Facebook.’ What technology ! A cup of tea was made available and we are grateful to Ngāti Awa for their manaakitanga.

Our team headed to have a kai and spotted Kingi Tuheitia with his wife Te Atawhai and Tukuroirangi Morgan with their visitors having a meal. John went over and spoke to them and brought Tuku back to our table to meet us.

Arrived at Rotorua close to 1pm, had lunch and made our way to the Te Puni Kōkiri offices for our next hui. While there we noted on the whiteboard that Te Arawa had listed all its teams for their regional kapa haka competitions numbering, wait for it, 23. I commented to Willie that we are having a hard time finding enough teams to be able to send four teams to the next Matatini. I wanted to write on the board next to all their teams ‘Waihirere was here’ but instead Willie told them they were ‘show-offs’ leaving all those names there for us to see. Another great attendance with the youngest being the 13 days old daughter of Heidi Symon-Ngawhika of Takipu, and the oldest was 85 year old Nuki Hemana of Tapuihikitea, sister of the late Mick Brown. Nuki choose to sit directly under the photo of her whare tipuna. Being there with her son Tony, his daughter Renee and great grandchild made for four generations of her whānau at the hui. Charlie opened with karakia followed by a welcome from John. Willie completed his presentation and again took questions from the floor after which registrations were taken. Following whakawhanaungatanga the group reluctantly left as we carried on to Kirikiriroa for our next hui at 6pm.

Ipod experts Rawinia Te Kani and Mereaira Kerr!

Well whānau that was us and after a good night’s rest we headed back to Tūranga although on a sad note as Charlie visited his nephew at the hospital that evening and told us at breakfast the next day that he had died while he was there. No reira Charlie kei te tino aroha matou ki te whānau mo te mate ō tēnei tamaiti. Haere rā, te tamaiti, haere, haere, haere rā. We arrived back in Tūranga safely at 4.30pm. Thank you to our drivers throughout this hikoi, Willie, Pene and Robyn.

L/R - Nuki Hemana (sister to the late Mick Brown), son Charlie, granddaughter Renee, grandson Tony at the Rotorua hui.

Te Kaituhituhi Nā Win Ruru

Hui in Rotorua. Note the list on the whiteboard, those are the 23 teams performing for Te Arawa at their Regional Kapa Haka! In the foreground left is Karen Lardelli. Far left background is Heidi Symon-Ngawhika with baby. Balance of attendees are of Hemana/Brown whānau.

Hamilton At the offices of Te Puni Kōkiri, Gail Campbell welcomed us. She was attending the hui on her Māhaki whakapapa. A gentleman from te hau kāinga welcomed us and opened our hui with karakia. John introduced the team and Willie commenced his presentation after which questions were taken from the floor. Linda Te Aho, Lecturer at Waikato University spoke to the meeting from her experiences with their claims that was very informative and much appreciated. A cup of tea was provided and again after much whakawhanaungatanga we all reluctantly departed.

Hui at Te Rongopai

Hui in progress at Kirikiriroa with all ears listening to Willie Te Aho. In foreground left, Gail Campbell, Hine August of Takipu, Linda Te Aho and in the background are members of the Tamatea, Terekia and Ruru whānau.

Whānau at Napier hui

Page 6

Pipiwharauroa He Whakatūpato

Ngā Kaitiaki o

Te Maungārongo Kia Orana Koutou, I have spent the last week kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face) with all 140 members of my staff during three full staff days. We were fortunate enough to have an awesome environment for us to come together and plan our year ahead. The focus of the staff day was around "Operationalising Prevention First" which is one of three strategies that guide the NZ Police. The other two strategies are "Turning of the Tide," an Iwi led crime and crash prevention strategy and "Safer Journeys" Road policing programme. My police staff work across our communities from Kotemāori in the south to Te Araroa in the north. It was quite humbling for us to share each others’ experiences connecting with either victims, offenders or community groups or agencies to have an impact on preventing crime and crash throughout Tairāwhiti. The favourable impact this approach has had with some has been instantaneous, others have been negative and there were many feeling somewhat in between. I was overwhelmed with the influence that police have with our people and whānau and it needs to continuously grow. We do have some challenging

Tairāwhiti Community Law Centre URGENT

whānau to work with at times and it was important that we put our hand out to help those who are struggling. We never give up, this is my motto because our communities need us.

In my mind, it didn't matter what type of policing group my staff worked in, there is always the opportunity to prevent crime and crash from occurring and we will work with anyone willing to achieve the same outcome. Most of my staff believe in prevention first being part of how we do business, some need more convincing. While we will continue to respond, we must also look at ways to prevent a re currence happening. My challenge to our communities is that when they engage, or come into contact with police, talk to us about prevention, everyone should contribute. We all deserve the right to "feel safe and be safe." Surely this is what we want for ourselves and our whānau. All Tairāwhiti communities have a role in prevention, if your family member, work colleague or a friend need help or are struggling, let’s not wait until something bad happens then react. Put your hand out and help them along their journey. If they fall, then help them up and don’t give up on them. Tairāwhiti is an amazing place to live. My Police will continuously be working in this space to achieve our vision which is "Policing Tairāwhiti:fewer victims, less crime and crash and a great place to work and live". Kia Manuia Inspector Sam Aberahama Area Commander:Tairāwhiti Ngā Pirihimana Student Loans: The student support changes announced in Budget 2013 focus on improving repayments from overseas-based borrowers and increasing personal responsibility for debt. Information matching with Department of Internal Affairs

As we head into another academic year there are some This will allow the Department of Internal Affairs to share important changes to the student loan system that you contact details from adult passport applications and renewals with Inland Revenue. The details will be matched against need to be aware of. Inland Revenue's database of overseas-based borrowers in default, for student loans, and liable parents in default, or Changes to Student Allowances and Loans whose contact details are out of date, for child support. This Find out about the changes to Student Allowances and will enable Inland Revenue to get in touch with individuals to confirm their correct contact details and discuss their Student Loans that the Government announced in May. outstanding arrears. This will be implemented once the For study starting on or after 1 January 2014: relevant regulations have been approved later in 2013. •

• • •

Students who are not New Zealand citizens, refugees, or protected persons will need to have lived, and been entitled to reside indefinitely, in New Zealand for three years before they will qualify for the Student Allowance or Loan. The Student Allowance 200-week limit will reduce to 120 weeks for students aged 40 years or over. The Student Allowance will not be available to students aged 65 and over. Students aged under 18 who are studying fees-free level 1 or 2 programmes will not be able to access any component of the Student Loan scheme. Changes to Repayments:

The following proposed changes were also announced that will affect students when they commence repayments (subject to legislation to be introduced later in 2013): • From 1 April 2014, Inland Revenue will be able to request an arrest warrant for borrowers who knowingly defaulted on their overseas-based repayment obligation and are about to leave New Zealand. • An information sharing agreement between Inland Revenue and the Department of Internal Affairs will be implemented, once the relevant regulations have been approved later in 2013, to allow sharing of contact details for overseas-based Student Loan defaulters when they renew or apply for their passport. Changes to the overseas-based borrower repayment rules from 1 April 2014: • •

Adjusting the overseas-based repayment regime Adjustments will be made to the overseas-based borrower repayment regime by introducing a fixed repayment obligation threshold and adding two more steps to the current overseas-based repayment regime, so borrowers with higher loan balances have a higher repayment obligation. This will be included in a bill later this year. Introducing the ability to arrest non-compliant borrowers who are about to leave New Zealand Making it a criminal offence to knowingly default on an overseas-based repayment obligation will allow Inland Revenue to request an arrest warrant to prevent the most non-compliant borrowers from leaving New Zealand. Similar provisions already exist under the Child Support Act. This will be included in a bill later this year. Changes to the calculation of the cost of lending in the Student Loan Scheme The cost of lending in the Student Loan Scheme is now calculated using annual interest rate data applicable from the year the borrowing occurs. The new approach came into effect from 1 January 2013. Previously, the cost of lending was calculated for each borrower, based on the interest rate in the year the borrower first entered the scheme, even if they draw from the scheme in subsequent years. The change will increase the accuracy of the scheme and provide Government with better information on the cost of lending.

Fixed repayment obligations from when borrowers For further information contact study link and/or IRD. Nā Nikorima Thatcher leave New Zealand. Two additional steps to the current overseas-based repayment regime.

Edwin (Eruera) Pohatu

Hi, Kia ora, everyone, it is with great sadness that I write to you today. On the 4th Of March Edwin Pohatu, also known to his family by his given name, Eruera, collapsed and died on his way to his Aquaculture course at Tūranga Ararau. He was only 61 years old. Edwin was a student with a big heart, his presence seemed to fill and overflow into every corner of the room. It was a pleasure to have him with us on our courses when he took time to redevelop his skills to study at a higher level. He was an A1 student and very articulate. He was a very bright student at school but as soon as he turned fifteen he left which was a great pity and a huge disappointment to his family. He was the eldest of 13 children and brought up by his great grandmother, Erena Brown nee Maynard. On leaving school he headed off to the South Island where he secured employment at the Ocean Beach Freezing Works. He remained there quite happily through his teen years, eventually working his way home via employment in the shearing sheds around the North Island. Auckland beckoned and he moved there with his partner Fiona Hall, whom he married in 1977 and started work with the Auckland Gas Company. In 1980 he and his family moved to Perth in Western Australia where he worked for the BHP Mining Company. However in 2004 Edwin decided that there was no place like home and returned to Tūranga to become an adult student and also helped out with the Super Grans and was spokesperson for the E Tu Elgin Group. Edwin is survived by his only son, Dallas Kline Pohatu, daughter in-law Hannah and gorgeous mokopuna Mia. Dallas was two years old when they moved to Australia, where he, Hannah and Mia still live. His favourite quote was “Tell someone who cares!” which was regularly heard in our classroom. Here is my favourite poem for you Eruera because “I cared.” Safe journey my friend from Bub Taipana Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there I do not sleep I am a thousand winds that blow, I am the diamond glint on snow, I am the sun on ripened grain, I am the gentle autumn rain, When you awake in the morning’s hush, I am the swift uplifting rush Of quiet birds in circle flight I am the soft stars that shine at night, Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there I did not die. -Mary Elizabeth Frye, 1932 Many thanks to Eruera’s sister for her help with this acknowledgement of him.



Pipiwharauroa Ngai Tāmanuhiri


Page 7

Tēnā koutou i tēnei wā. Ngā tangi hoki ki ngā mate e hinga mai nā, e hinga atu nei. Moe mai e te hunga kua moe. Greetings from Ngai Tāmanuhiri, the following is an update on some of the kaupapa being progressed by the Iwi. Ngā mihi mahana ki ngā kaitautoko, warm heartfelt thanks to all those whose continued support and inspiration enables the fruition of our vision and dreams. Ngai Tāmanuhiri Marae development took another step forward with the kōhanga whare being uplifted and relocated to Waiari, making way for the new wharepaku. Our whānau Uncle Mangu and cousin Selwyn Pohatu have been busy preparing the site for

Richard Brooking addressing the National Landscape Architects Conference powhiri on 28 February 2014

Steve and Lee clearing the Toi Tāmanuhiri exhibition at Muriwai Marae that closed on 2 March 2014

Currie construction. The kōhanga for the time being is operating from the Whare Kai area whilst planning for their new Whare.

We are fortunate to have a relationship with Ngāti Koata who gifted Tuatara that are cared for by Ecoworks up at the Te Kuri Sanctuary.

The relationship we have with the Alan Wilson Centre (Academic excellence institute) takes us into new sharing and learning spaces. Recently Professor Lisa Matisoo-Smith presented back some of the whānau DNA samples provided out of interest for her work with the National Geograhic 'Mapping the Human Family Tree' - 'Out of Africa'.

Toi Tāmanuhiri has set our Iwi on a journey. With the exhibitions closing more thought is being given to further kaupapa. A recent 'Conservation techniques for Whāriki' was led by Rangi Te Kanawa from Te Papa at Tairāwhiti Museum and Muriwai Marae. Hei konei ra

Upcomming Events April 5th: Whānau Day at Wharerata Forest, sponsored by Juken Nissho April 7th: 10am - Pōwhiri at Muriwai Marae for the closure of Toi Tāmanuhiri, Waka Hoe returning to Te Papa April 9th: 10am - Te Hunga Pakeke Hui, Muriwai Marae nd

On 2 March Papa Temple led a karakia for the relocation of the kōhanga.


On 20 Match the kōhanga building was lifted up and relocated next to Waiari Marae

April 10th: 5.30pm - Gisborne District Council Update at Muriwai Marae Easter; April 18 to 20th: Papa Temple’s 80th at Muriwai Marae April 25th: ANZAC at Muriwai Marae

Kōhanga is lifted and moving down the road

Muriwai Kōhanga next to Waiari Marae

Rangi explaining the technique and process of preserving and conserving the whariki to the team

Professor Lisa and Aunties Kaa and Kay explaining how unique our DNA is Professor Nicky Nelson, Tuatara guru and part of the Alan Wilson Centre team presenting Tuatara kaupapa to our Pakeke, and introducing us to Spike, a 25 year old Tuatara

The National Geograhic team filming Papa Temple, Nanny Kui and Rodney Faulkner at Matiti (the Pā site of Tāmanuhiri)

Cory Ferris monitoring the wellbeing of Tuatara with ECOWORKS team.

For more news and photos visit our facebook page ( or visit our website ( ) where you can register as a an iwi member, or as a friend to the iwi, and panui can be emailed to you

Aunty Drin, Athena and mokopuna Noa with Nanny Kui working on conserving our taonga

The large turn-out thoroughly enjoying themselves

Caregiver,Tania & Hiwi Wilson

All eyes on guess who?

Another view of the lively crowd

The band in full swing

Kem Wairau from Hawkes Bay


Pipiwharauroa Whト]au Show


Page 8

Charlie and hula girls swaying

Walter 'The Wiz' Walsh singing Portrait Of My Love

Lindsay Henare & Dennis August

The attendees giving their full attention to the speaker


Page 9

WhÄ nau Show

Moko Magic with their grandfather Charlie Culshaw of Mohaka

Wiz at Poroporoaki I can hear her singing from here

The band Tequilla

Lindsay & Marilyn Kingi

Hiwi Wilson singing to the crowd

Our turn!

Kem Wairau

Anyone for a banana?

And loook at us!

The boys giving it their all!

The serenade Directions from the MÄ ori Wardens

"Tumeke, tumeke"

"Look at me!"

Members of our Tūākana/Tēina team pose with Bronwyn Bevin

Last month, the Tūākana/Tēina Programme Sidewalk Sunday School was very fortunate to host a Sidewalk Sunday School Conference at Equippers Church Gisborne. Sidewalk Sunday School is a fun, action packed programme with a powerful gospel message. Pastor Bill Wilson, founder of Sidewalk Sunday School, established Metro World Child in what was one of Brooklyn’s roughest neighbourhoods, the Bushwick Community, most commonly known for its history of gang violence, crime, drugs, and poverty. It is known as ‘the biggest Sunday School in the world’ and since 1986, Sidewalk Sunday School has taken the gospel of Jesus Christ to over 200 locations in New York City and ministers to over 45,000 children all over the world! More recently, a Sidewalk Sunday School has been established here in Gisborne, New Zealand. We were blessed to have the opportunity to train our rangatahi and leaders involved with our tūākana/tēina programme, and also provide an opportunity for the wider community to also attend the conference. Our keynote speaker was Bronwyn Bevin, a Sidewalk Sunday School Leader in Metro World Child in New York who has been serving with the ministry for 8 years. She is passionate about their Sidewalk Sunday School site in Staten Island New York. She is the only New Zealander on the ministry team at Metro World Child and proud of it. The training was based on the training workshops delivered at Metro World Child in Brooklyn, NYC. Participants were ‘immersed’ in all aspects of Sidewalk Sunday School from training workshops and team building to real ministry.

Welcome Te Atawhai Rose Findlay

Bronwyn gets the crowd moving.

The members of the Sidewalk Sunday School team in no particular order, would like to acknowledge all Pastors and Leaders within our community who supported this event, special thanks to Equippers Church for the use of their premises to facilitate the training, House of Breakthrough for contributing toward the morning tea, all our ringawera, and helpers behind the scene, Delicia and John Scott for hosting Bronwyn at their home, and finally to all those who supported the conference, financially, in prayer and/or in person. Special thanks also to Tūranga Ararau which has been able to support this valuable leadership initiative through Ministry of Youth Development funding. Ngā manaakitanga ā te Atua ki runga i a tātou katoa.

Introducing Te Atawhai Rose Findlay Born on the 21st of February 2014 at 12.19 pm Weighing 9lb 2oz. Moko of the Late Edward (Kit) Findlay and Hinepua Henare and John and Liz Rose Goodrich. Adored daughter of Fraser and Kate and a beautiful new sister for Caleb and Kahukura. She was born with her backpack all ready for kōhanga!

Miriama Manuel takes to the microphone during training at the conference.

Bronwyn Metro World Child

It was in Brooklyn that I met Eru Findlay and Rawiri McGhee who had come from Gisborne to visit the ministry. When I heard they had returned to Gisborne and started Sidewalk Sunday School, I was so excited, and when Eru and the Sidewalk Sunday School team invited me to come to Gisborne I jumped at the chance.

I was born in Napier but spent most of my life in the Bay of Islands and Tauranga. I was working with children in my church and in schools but then my life changed when in 2006 I went to New York City for a four month internship with Metro World Child. Founded by Pastor Bill Wilson in 1980, Metro World Child is a global faith-based, humanitarian organization dedicated to serving inner-city children throughout New York City and various urban centers around the world. Metro World Child serves nearly 100,000 children each week with after school programs, Sunday School services, child sponsorship, special programs and personal home visits.


Sidewalk Sunday School Conference 2014


Pipiwharauroa Ruia Te Rongopai

Sunday School Services in Arlington, New York

When I went to New York City I didn't quite know what to expect, but within a few weeks I had fallen in love with the city, and its people. I love what I get to do with Metro World Child - going into the roughest neighborhoods of the city, to the people that everyone has given up on, and building relationships with them.

Through those relationships we have the opportunity to share a message of hope, that God loves them and has a good plan for their lives. My role at Metro World Child is in Sidewalk Sunday School, where we take a fun filled program to the streets and we have church right there on the sidewalk. My team goes to the borough of Staten Island and I love being able to go out every day to see "my kids".

This is my first time in Gisborne and I can tell this is a special place. Of course I have been impressed by the sunshine and the scenic beauty of the area, but I have also seen the beauty of the people. I have felt so welcomed, and from just a few days here I can see how important family and community are, and how proud the people are of their culture and where they come from. In Gisborne I have met people with a heart and a vision to influence their community in a positive way, and that is what we need to see a community changed, whether it is in New York City or Gisborne, New Zealand.I will definitely be leaving a little piece of my heart here in Gisborne and I hope I will be able to visit again soon.

Pipiwharauroa 'Māori in WW1'

Māori in the First World War 1914-1918 ...Continued from last month

Second-in-Command Sought When Godley became aware of the friction between Herbert and his Māori officers is not clear, but he was dealing with the matter a month before the August offensive. On 14 July, 10 days after the Contingent landed at Gallipoli, the General wired Allen asking for ‘the services of someone with good knowledge of Māoris and influence with them to act as a Second-in-Command.’ He asked the Minister to appoint Arnold ‘A.B.’ Williams, a prominent farmer and businessman at Waipiro Bay, to the position, and if Williams was agreeable to ‘send him here as soon as possible.’ Allen was reluctant to appoint a person lacking the necessary military training or experience to the position of 2IC, so he told Godley that Williams did not have ‘sufficient military experience’ and advised him to appoint someone already overseas. Nine days later, Godley cabled informing the Minister that a suitable person could not be found. He explained that military education was not as necessary as a ‘complete knowledge of language and customs,’ that he needed someone of ‘high standing, mana and influence’ and that he was confident, after asking around, that ‘Williams is everything that is right.’ The 2IC was to act as a ‘go between’ between Herbert and his officers. Godley also wrote privately to Allen, setting out the circumstances of what he called the Māori officers’ ‘disloyalty’ and ‘incapacity.’ ‘He [Herbert)] finds a good deal of difficulty now, as orders which he gives are mis-interpreted, sometimes wilfully, by the rather indifferent Māori officers.’ Back in New Zealand, Allen sought LieutenantColonel Robin’s opinion. Robin noted that ‘a second in command for 500 men who all speak English’ was a strange request. He asked why Dr Buck, who spoke Māori and had mana and knowledge of Māori customs, could not be appointed to the position. Allen also sought the MCC’s opinion. They, too, did not see why a specialist should be sent when ‘the Contingent had the services of tactful men and specialists like Dr Buck.’ They urged a change of command and recommended the original C.O., now Major Peacock, be reappointed. Peacock was not fully recovered from enteric fever and was about to train the Second Māori Contingent at Narrow Neck. General Robin suggested that if someone had to go, then Godley’s recommendation should be adhered to and that if the MCC objected to Arnold Williams, they should submit a name strictly in accordance with the terms of Godley’s cable. This the MCC did; their recommendation was Ken (‘K.S.’) Williams of Tuparoa, an older cousin of ‘A.B.’ Williams. Williams agreed to go even though no one was really clear in what capacity he was to serve. He was told he was to be more of a commissioner than a combatant officer. Williams put his affairs in order, reported to Wellington and awaited his embarkation KENNETH STUART WILLIAMS Forty-three-year-old Ken ‘KS’ Williams, also a successful farmer and businessman, was the chairman of both the Waiapu County Council and the Tokomaru Harbour Board. His ability to speak fluent Māori had earned him great respect among Ngāti Porou and was a tremendous asset to him in the public life of the East Coast community.

date. In the meantime Godley cabled Allen to say that Williams’ services were no longer required as the he had made other arrangements. The whole exercise had put Williams through some inconvenience and, although disappointed, there was nothing further he could do but return to the East Coast. In the interim Allen told Godley that Archdeacon Hector Hawkins had embarked as chaplain with the latest Māori reinforcements ‘and he will do all you want, I think, as a go-between with the men, if this is necessary.’ By this time, however, Allen was anxious about Herbert’s ability to lead the Māori Contingent. He cabled Godley expressing his concern:

“Your request for Williams [sic] assistance raised some doubt in my mind about the officer commanding the Māoris. This doubt has been increased by representations from Māori Members of Parliament. Hope there is no reason for such and should be glad of assurance that everything is or will be placed on satisfactory footing.” In response Godley continued to defend Herbert: “There were also, I understand, various little intertribal jealousies and difficulties, which Herbert of course could not understand, and which there seemed to be nobody to put right, and this is why I asked you for Arnold Williams. Dr Buck did his best and has behaved very well all through, but he could not keep things quite right.” As far as Godley was concerned the blame for the situation sat squarely with the Māori officers who, by then, he had ordered back to New Zealand.

Godley’s Report The other arrangements that Godley referred to had been detailed in his official report of 20 August. This involved splitting up the contingent, reassigning its senior officers and sending the four Māori officers home.1 His report was sent by post and seems not to have been received in New Zealand until the last week of October. In response Allen wrote privately to Godley accepting the general’s decision ‘you are on the spot and can best judge’ before providing an official response in which he noted his disappointment that the general had returned Captains Pitt and Dansey.2 This was after he met with Pomare to discuss a copy of a letter that the MCC had received, written at Gallipoli and signed by every Māori officer of the contingent except Dansey, Hiroti and Hetet, requesting an inquiry into the allegations Herbert had brought against their fellow officers.3 The three officers had arrived back in New Zealand aboard the Moeraki a fortnight earlier, apparently on 10 days’ leave before reporting for ‘special duties’ or at least that is what the public were initially told through the media.4 Even the troops in Egypt were unaware of the real reason why the officers had departed. Dansey’s older brother Harry, who had reached Egypt with the Second Māori Contingent, told his fiancée: I notice from a local paper that my brother Roger passed through here three days ago on his way to NZ. I believe he is going back and to return again to the front in charge of the next reinforcements. He is 5 doing quite well I’m glad to say. While on leave the three Māori officers were utilised in the various recruitment drives held in their districts.6 When they reported at the expiration of their leave, the issue arose of what to do with them. Because they had no Territorial unit to return to and, given Godley’s adverse report about them, Robin advised Allen that there was no alternative but to place them on the reserve of officers: that is, effectively they would become ex-officers of the military, but obligated to future service if and when required.7

Page 11

Māori Reaction

It was not until 3 November that Allen made Pomare aware of Godley’s report.8 With the three officers back, the details began to unravel of what transpired at the front. Various members of the Māori Contingent Committee heard the officers’ first-hand accounts and also received copies of letters about the situation from other Māori soldiers. Allen interviewed Hetet and Hiroti in Wellington and learnt that they, along with Lieutenant Coupar, the other platoon commander in Dansey’s company, had also tried for an inquiry by writing to Brigadier Russell through Herbert.9 ‘No inquiry was ever held,’ they said, ‘but the first thing we knew was, that we had been ordered back to New Zealand.’10 When the Māori Contingent Committee received a copy of Godley’s report, they were more perturbed and asked Allen for the matter to be fully investigated.11 The Committee’s request led to a flurry of telegrams 12 between Allen and Godley. Allen sought further clarification as to how Godley had reached his decision and urged the general to prioritise the matter as the ‘position has assumed serious aspect here and necessitates searching enquiry by you.’ Serious was right; Pomare was in Wanganui fending off criticism from Hiroti’s people and he had only mollified them by promising a ‘full and just inquiry’, while the other Māori MPs were threatening to stop recruiting in their electoral districts. What is more, the Māori-language newspaper, Te Kopara, publicised the matter: ‘Kua hoki mai ētahi o ngā āpiha o te Taua Māori tuatahi. Te take nāna rātou i kawe mai he rerekē nō ngā whakahaere a te rangatira atu o Niu Tireni nei. Ko tō rātou hiahia kia whakakorea atu taua tangata e te Kāwanatanga a kia hoatu he mea hou ki tōna tūnga; ki te kore me mutu te tuku Māori hei whakahaere kino ma taua tangata. Kei te tirotirohia tēnei take ināianei e te Kāwanatanga.’ Even the Māori officers still in Gallipoli were being taken to task by returned veterans, who felt the remaining officers had not done enough to prevent the breaking-up of the unit. Irritated by the attacks, Wainohu had his written reply to one of the veterans published in Te Kopara. To Be Continued... Nā M.Soutar References: 1. Pomare, Carroll, Ngata to Allen, 8 Dec 1915, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ; Pomare to Allen, 27 July 1915 AD 1 906, 43/175, ANZ. 2. Allen to Godley, 26 Oct 1915, Allen[1 1 check?], M1/15 Pt 2, ANZ. In a cable dated, 15 Nov 1915, Godley asked if Allen had received his letter dated 20 Aug. Clearly Godley had not yet seen Allen’s letter dated 29 Oct confirming the minister’s receipt of the 20 Aug report. The November cable and October letter are in AD 10 20, 42/4, ANZ. 3. Capt. W. Pitt et al to Herbert, 11 Aug 1915, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. 4. Grey River Argus, 13 Oct 1915, p. 2; Wanganui Chronicle,14 October 1915, p.4; King Country Chronicle, 16 Oct 1915, p. 5 5. Harry Dansey to Winifred Barter, 1 Oct 1915, MS 873 Harry D. B. Dansey Papers, Box 2, File 2, Auckland War Memorial Museum. 6. Otago Daily Times, 23 Oct 1915, p. 10; King Country Chronicle, 16 1915, p. 5. 7. Robin to Allen, 2 Nov 1915, AD 10 20, 42/4, ANZ. 8. Allen to Pomare, 3 Nov 1915, AD 10 20, 42/4, ANZ. 9. Capt. W. Pitt, et al to Herbert, 11 Aug 1915, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. Capt. Tahiwi, Dansey’s 2i/c, had been wounded and already evacuated. 10. Hetet & Hiroti to Allen, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. 11. F. G. Mathews to Pomare, 3 Nov 1915, AD 10 20, 42/4, & Allen to Godley, 5 Nov 1915, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. 12. Allen to Godley, 4, 5 & 12 Nov 1915, & Godley to Allen, 4, 6, 7 & 15 Nov 1915, in AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. 13. Pomare to Allen, 13 Nov 1915, AD1 707 9/32/1, ANZ. 14. Translation - ‘Some of the officers from the First Maori Contingent have arrived home. The reason for their early return is by order of the man in charge of the New Zealand forces [i.e. Godley]. The troops want the Government to replace the current leader [i.e. Herbert] with another man. If this is not done, Maori troops should not be sent overseas to be mistreated by this man. The Government is now investigating the matter.’ Te Kopara, OctNov, 1915, No. 24–25, p. 6. 15. Wainohu to Hatara Te Awarau, 26 May 1916, in Te Kopara, 15 July, 1915, No. 33, pp. 4–5.

the arrival of the Rongowhakaata representatives. However the payment itself contradicted Richmond’s claim that Te Hau Ki Tūranga was gifted. It was some years before the Colonial Government investigated Richmond’s actions sufficiently to uncover the truth as to what did happen at Orakaiapu Pa in March 1867. It instead chose to accept Richmond’s self serving and contradictory account.

While the Herald’s account of the taking of Te Hau Ki Tūranga may have reflected Richmond’s version of events he did not formally put his views in writing until August 1867 in his response to the petition from Rukupo and others before the Public Petitions Committee.

‘The petition of your true and faithful friends, some of the people of Tūranga, prays that you will look into one of our troubles. Our very valued carved house has been taken away, without pretext, by the Government; we did not consent to its removal.’ – Petition of Raharuhi Rukupo and others, Tūranga, 8 July 1867. The First Petition, July 1867

It was some years before Richmond’s actions were properly investigated to uncover the truth as to what really did happen at Orakaiapu. The government of the day simply appeared to be willing to accept what has been described as Richmond’s self serving and contradictory account of the acquisition of Te Hau Ki Tūranga. Protests began only a few months after the removal of Te Hau Ki Tūranga with a petition being submitted to the House of Representatives by Raharuhi Rukupo and seven others of Rongowhakaata in July 1867. As a result the 1868 Commission of Inquiry was set up to establish whether the removal of the house could be morally or legally justified. Just a month prior to this a Tūranga correspondence for the Auckland newspaper, the ‘Southern Cross’ published an article stating that Te Hau Ki Tūranga had been “taken away without the owners being consulted on the subject any more than that one old man was pressed into giving his unwilling consent.” The paper also criticised the government for “aggravating land disputes by giving Māori the impression that the whole aim of our institutions is to get all the plunder we can lay hold of.” This article was strongly condemned by its rival and pro government paper the New Zealand Herald claiming that their source, “an old and respected resident” had asserted that the “proper owners had actually made [Te Hau Ki Tūranga] over to the government as a gift. The item went on to say that, despite this gift, the government had, allegedly through Read, paid one hundred pounds to the “proper owners,” identified in the article as Raharuhi Rukupo and “Te Matiki Tumuoko.” The following day the ‘Southern Cross’ responded repeating that “the owners have never been paid” and claiming that the ‘old man’ who it earlier said had been “pressed into giving his consent” was indeed Raharuhi Rukupo although there is no other evidence to substantiate their claim. (Brown 1996) Although both accounts contained errors it is clear from the 1867 petition headed by Rukupo that he did not receive the one hundred pounds actually paid by Biggs, not Read, for Te Hau Ki Tūranga as the story claimed. In reality the recipients of the payment are unknown but appear to be among those present when the Whare was being dismantled and could have numbered anywhere from two to ten depending upon whose account it is. Whoever they were, they would have been well gone with the cash before

The petition was presented to the committee by George Graham whose brother William Graham had been closely involved with the Iwi of Tūranga during the late 1860s. George advised that he had received a private letter informing him that, “the natives protested against having their house removed.” The letter was sent in with the petition and in respect to Te Hau Ki Tūranga noted that, “There are contradictory reports in the Bay regarding it, but the natives all and some of the Europeans assert that the government never came to terms with them, but gave the natives one hundred pounds for it, and that was not until after it was on board the steamer, Captain Fairchild of the Sturt told me himself that the natives were protesting the whole time they were taking it away and speaking of how well they managed it, he said he kept arguing with them while his men were carrying the boards away.’ Graham also provided another letter given to him by another parliamentarian involved with Māori issues by the name of Carleton that also recorded Maori opposition to the taking of Te Hau Ki Tūranga. It recommended that the taonga be returned to Tūranga, “for I believe that the natives would receive at as [a] peace offering, and would return the hundred pounds.” The assertion that the whare had been gifted to Tareha appears to have been put to Graham by the committee. In closing Graham stated that he was not aware that the House had been made over by the tribe to any other party. A member of the committee, Ormond requested that McLean be called to the next meeting to advise them on the supposed ‘gifting’ and raised the raupatu issue in saying that ‘he was himself cognisant of the fact that the land on which the House stood had been the property of persons lately in rebellion had been assumed by McLean'. (The crossed out section appears in the original document.) However McLean could not clarify the matter admitting as he had little connection with Tūranga at the time of the removal of Te Hau Ki Tūranga but claimed to know that Mokena Kohere of Ngāti Porou had objected to the gifting as “he and the government had the best right to it.” Tareha apparently then “relinquished his claim to it.” Since Rukupo's changing allegiances were well documented, any possible grounds for the confiscation of Te Hau ki Tūranga's could not have been certain. History suggests that as a leader he always followed the most favourable course for his people. For example, as spokesman for the Manutuke people in the early 1850s, he was vocal in his opposition to the establishment of a Pākehā township on Māori land (Fowler 1974:9). But in that same decade, at Donald McLean's request, he persuaded Te Waka Perohuka not to drive Pākehā settlers out of Rongowhakata territory. By the time of the New Zealand Wars in the 1860s, his conciliatory position toward the Pākehā and their institutions had changed again, when he announced to Governor Gore-Brown that as a non-signatory of the Treaty he was exempt from his rule (Barrow 1976:7-8; Oliver 1990:341).



Te Hau Ki Tūranga



Page 12

With or without compensation, Fowler has claimed that Rukupo never forgave the government for taking Te Hau ki Tūranga, illustrating his consequent distrust of Pākehā in the construction of a new, radically different house called Te Mana o Tūranga built on Whakato marae (Kernot 1984:155). By appropriating emblems of resistance into this whare, Rukupo and his people demonstrated that they were not going to make any more concessions to the government. To be continued… References: Barrow T 1976 ‘A Guide to the Maori Meeting House Te Hau ki Turanga’ Wellington National Museum Binny Judith and Others ‘The People and the Land - Te Tangata Me Te Whenua 1820–1920’ 1990 Brown, Deidre S 1996 ‘The Journal of the Polynesian Society’ Vol 105 No 1 Fowler L ‘Te Mana o Turanga e Mana O Turanga: The Story of the Carved House Te Mana O Turanga on the Whakato Marae at Manutuke Gisborne NZ’ Historic Places Trust 1974 Journals of the House of Representatives of New Zealand 1867

TE HAU KI TŪRANGA ‘Ko te inoi o o koutou Tangata pono, o o koutou tino hoa, o etahi o ngā Tangata o Tūranga e mea ana, kia tirohia e koutou e te Rūnanga Rangatira tetahi o o matou pouritanga, ko to matou taonga nui ko to matou whare whakairo kia mauria huhua koretia, e te Kawanatanga, kihai matou i whakae’ – Petition of Raharuhi Rukupo and others, Tūranga, 8 July 1867. Ko Te Petihana Tuatahi, Hongongoi 1867 E hia tau ki muri ka āta tirotirohia ngā mahi ā Richmond ka puta te tino tikanga o ngā mahi i Orakaiapu. Whakapono ana hoki te Kāwana o taua wā ki ngā whakamārama me ngā whakatau ā Richmond ki ngā āhuatanga i riro ai i a ia Te Hau Ki Tūranga. Kāre i roa i muri mai ka tīmata te whakahaere a Rukupo me te tokowhitu ō Rongowhakaata i te petihana ki te Rūnanga Paremata mō te nekehanga o Te Hau Ki Tūranga i te marama o Hongongoi 1867. Ko te hua i puta arā ko te whakatūnga Kōmihana Tirotiro i te tau 1868 hai āta titiro mēna i mauria tika te whare nei, ā tēra rānei e tika ana i runga i ngā ture whakarite. E ai ki te kairīpoata o Tūranga mo te niupepa o Tāmaki Makaurau “Southern Cross”, “I haria noatia taua whare. Kāre ngā tāngata nō rātou ake taua whare i mōhio, ā, nā tētahi koroua noa ahakoa tana whakahē, i whakaae i raro i te pēhi ā tauiwi. I whakahē hoki taua niupepa ki ngā tikanga ā te Kāwanatanga ‘mo te āhuatanga whakatau tutū mō ngā whenua, arā kia mahara ai ngā Māori, koira noa te pūtake a te whakahaere whai mana ko te muru ahakoa he aha te aha.” Pākaha te whakahē a ngā hoa taiwhanga ki taua pānui i puta i te Herora ō Niu Tīreni te kaitautoko i te Kāwanatanga e whakapae ana,’nā tētahi koroua rongonuitia’ i kii, arā, ‘nā ngā tāngata nō rātou ake te whare (Te Hau Ki Tūranga) i tākoha ki te Kāwanatanga. Ka haere tonu te tuhinga ki te kii, ahakaoa i tākohatia, ko te whakapae i hoatu e te kawana he rau taara ($100) ki a Read ma te hunga nō rātou ake taua whare, arā, e mōhiotia ana ko Raharuhi Rukupo me “Te Matiki Tumuoko”. Ao ake ko te whakautu a te niupepa ‘Southern Cross’ e kii anō ana,’kāre i utua ngā tāngata nō rātou ake te whare,’ me te whakapae ko te koroua i whakaae i raro i ngā whakawhiu, arā ko Rukupō tonu. Ahakoa kāre i kitea he kōrero hai tautoko i taua whakapae (Brown1996) . Ahakoa ngā hapa o ngā whakapae e rua, mārama tonu ana te kitea i te petihana i whakahaeretia e Rukupō, arā kāre te rau taara i utua ki a ia. Ko te tikanga i utua e Biggs, ehara i a

Pipiwharauroa Te Hau Ki Tūranga

Te Mana ō Tūranga at its original location

Read mo Te Hau Ki Tūranga arā te whakapae a ngā kōrero. Tika tonu ko te moni i utua, kāre tonu imōhiotia i ngaro ki whea engari ko ngā kōrero e ai kii, i ngaro i te wā i a rātou e nuku tonu ana i te whare, arā i waenga i te tokowaru ki te ngahuru ngā tāngata e whakareri ana i te whare ki te nuku. Ahakoa ko wai, tae rawa atu a Rongowhakaata, ka aua atu rātou me te moni. Nā taua moni ka raru te whakapae a Richmond i tākohatia Te Hau ki Tūranga. Nō ngā tau ō muri noa mai ka tīmata te tirotiro a te Kāwana ō Ingarangi ki ngā mahi i mahia e Richmond i te pā ō Orakaiapu i te Poutū o te Rangi 1867. Ahakoa rā i whakapono ia ki ngā kōrero a Richmond. E ai ki ngā whakamārama a te Herora mo te haringa o Te Hau Ki Tūranga i rerekē ki ngā kōrero ā Richmond kāre tonu ia i tuhituhi i ōna whakaaro tae noa ki te marama o Hereturikōka 1867 i ana whakautu ki te petihana a Rukupō me ētahi atu i mua i te Komiti Petihana ā Iwi.

Nā George Graham i whakatakoto te petihana ki te komiti. Ko tana tuakana a William Graham mahi tata ana ki ngā iwi ō Tūranganui i ngā tau 1860. Ko te whakatakoto kōrero a George, arā kua tae atu te pānui whakamōhio ki a ia, arā,’kei te whakahē ngā tangata whenua mō te nekenga o tō rātou whare’.Tāpiri atu ki taua reta, ko te whakahē, ko te petihana, arā mō Te Hau ki Tūranga. He maha ngā rīpoata whakahē i te Whanga e pā ana ki tēnei kaupapa, engari ko te katoa o ngā tāngata whenua me ētahi o ngā Pākehā kāre i whakaae te kāwana ki ngā take i whakatauria e rātou, engari i hoatu kotahi rau ($100) taara ki ngā tāngata taketake, inā rā kua eke kē te whare ki runga i te kaipuke o Kāpene Fairchild ō Sturt. I kōrero mai a Kāpene Fairchild ki au i te porotēhi, i te whakahē tonu ngā tāngata taketake i a rātou e hiki ana i ngā papa o te whare ki runga i tana kaipuke. I te whakamihi hoki ngā kaikawe i te pai ō tā rātou mahi. I tohetohe a ia ki ngā tāngata i a rātou e nuku ana i ngā papa. I whakatauria hoki e Graham tētahi reta i hoatu e Carleton nō te paremata e whaipānga ki ngā take Māori, e whakaatu ana i te kaha whakahē i te hikingatanga o Te Hau ki Tūranga. Ko tana tūtohutanga kia whakahokia te taonga ki Tūranga, “e whakapono ana ahau me whakahoki te taonga nei kia tau ai ngā tāngata taketake, ā, ka whakahokia mai e rātou te rau taara($100).” Ko te āhua nei, ko te kōrero a te komiti ki a Graham, i tākohatia te whare ki a Tareha.Ko te kōrero whakamutunga a Graham, kāre ia i mōhio i hoatu te whare e te iwi ki tētahi atu. Ko Ormond, he mema nō te komiti i tono kia karangatia a McLean ki te hui whai ake hei whakamārama i te tikanga o te tākoha me take o te raupatu me tana kii,’I te mōhio ia ki ngā

Nga Kapa Haka Tuarua o Aotearoa Tairāwhiti are excited to host Ngā Kapa Haka Tuarua o Aotearoa 2014, the National Secondary Schools Kapa Haka festival. The festival will start with the powhiri in Tūranga/Gisborne on 28 July 2014 and end on 1 August 2014. “This festival will be bigger than Te Matatini 2011 held here in Tairāwhiti. 42 teams are confirmed. It is exciting” said Tairāwhiti spokesman Willie Te Aho. For the first time the National Secondary Schools Committee and Executive have decided to follow the familiar Te Matatini process of three pools, with the top three in each pool going to a Final 9 performance. “With the number of teams participating, this is seen as a natural progression to ensure that the teams from Day One get the same opportunity as those on Day Three to make the finals. Then it is back to square one with any of the Top 9 teams having the chance to take out the top prize. The top 9 and the order of performance for the finals will be announced after the third pool performances are completed. Te Aho said that there is a truly exciting array of teams from across the 14 regions that make up the National Committee. The draw for the pools and order of performance was completed by the National Secondary Schools Committee and Executive. “Our Tairawhiti Iwi are looking forward to hosting this exciting event on our lands at Houhoupiko, the Gisborne Showgrounds. Haramai e te motu!” FOR ALL QUERIES PLEASE CONTACT WILLIE TE AHO 021768462

ORDER OF PERFORMANCE The following draw was made at the NZPPTA Office in Wellington by the National Committee and Executive Members. This is the official and final order of performance for Nga Kapa Haka Tuarua o Aoteroa 2014. Pool A ~ Tuesday 29th July 2014 1

Te Kapa Rau Aroha


Te Kura Maori o Porirua


Te Huatai Katorika


Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Rawhitiroa


Te Waka Kotuia


Te Aute College


Page 13

take e pā ana ki te whenua i runga i te whare e tū ana, ā, koira te whakaaro o McLean. Otirā, kāre tonu i taea e McLean te whakamārama, nā te mea kāre noa ia i whaipānga ki ngā āhuatanga i te nukunga o Te Hau ki Tūranga engari i whakapae i mōhio, i whakahē a Mokena Kohere kia tākohatia te whare, arā, ki tāna,’e mōhio ana rāua ko te kawana e whai mana ana ki taua mea”.Nā reira ka tukua e Tareha tana mana ki taua whare. I te mea i tuhia whai tikanga te huritanga o ngā whakaaro o Rukupo, ko te tikanga i murua ai Te Hau ki Tūranga, kāre i te tino mārama. E ai ki ngā kōrero i ngā hītori, ko tana ka whai ko te āhuatanga e tika ana mo tana iwi. Hei tauira, kaha tonu tana whakahē kia whakatauria he taone ki runga i ngā whenua Māori. Engari, i taua ngahurutanga ka tono a Donald McLean, ka patipati ki a Te Waka Perohuka kia kaua e panaia ngā Pākehā noho i runga i ngā whenua ō Rongowhakaata. Tae rawa ake ki ngā pakanga o 1860, ko tana taha whakaratarata ki ngā pākehā me te mana whakahaere kua huri anō, arā i tana kiitanga atu ki a Kāwana Gore-Brown kāre ia i haina i te Tiriti me whakawātea mai ia i taua ture. Nā tēnei whakaaro, kore tautoko i te kāwana, ehara ānō nei e tautoko ana ia i ngā pakanga a te Paimārire ki ngā Pākeha. E ai ki a Te Kani Te Ua i mate te tama kotahi ā Rukupūō i ngā pakanga ki ngā hoia ā te karauna, ā i roto i ngā tuhinga aā Robert Hall hoatu tētahi wāhanga o te taone ki a mō tana pono ki te Karauna i te wā o aua pakanga. Nō reira kāre tonu i te mārama mehemea tika ana te muru a te kāwana i Te Hau Ki Tūranga. Ahakoa i utua, kāre noa rānei, ki te whakapae a Fowler tino kaha whakamau a Rukupō ki te Kāwanatanga mo te haringa i Te Hau Ki Tūranga, arā i whakaatungia nei e ia i tana hangatanga i Te Mana ō Tūranga i Whakatō. Kei ngā whakairo e whakaatu ana tana kahawhakahē ki te Kāwanatanga ā, kei noho tana iwi ka tuku noa anō ki te Kāwana. Ā tēra marama anō ...


Te Puawaitanga


Te Kura Kauapa Maori o Rakaumangamanga


Te Wharekura o Ruatoki


Hato Paora College


Te Wharekura o Arowhenua




Kia Aroha College


Otaki Rahui


Nga Toka Hapai


Te Wharekura o Hoani Waititi Marae


Lytton High School Pool C ~ Thursday 31st July 2014


Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Ngati Kahungunu ki Heretaunga

Te Kura Kaupapa Maori a Rohe o Mangere


Te Wharekura o Nga Taiatea


Massey High School


Te Roopu Raukura


Turakina Maori Girls College


Te Maurea Whiritoi


Te Whanau a Apanui Area School


Western Heights High School


TKKM o Kawakawa Mai Tawhiti


Turanga Wahine Turanga Tane


Nga Taiohi a Hauiti


Cullinane College


Wanganui City College


Auckland Girls Grammar School


Iti Rearea


Naenae College


Te Kura Maori o Te Rau Aroha


Opotiki College Pool B ~ Wednesday 30th July 2014


Te Wairoa


Nga Puna o Waiorea


Te Kura Kauapa Maori o Whangaroa


Te Piringa


Te Rourou Kura


Te Puku o Te Ika




Pipiwha'rauroa Page 14

Pipiwharauroa "TŪRANGA HEALTH"

Page 15

Monday 30 March 2014

Tū Marae Whānau It’s back!

between one and two kilometres each; and Grab your comfy walking shoes whānau be- 4 run legs, between two and five kilometres each. cause Tū Marae is back! The first of this year’s Marae to Marae duathlons goes from Takipu Marae on State Highway 2 in Te Karaka, via Tapuihikitia Marae, then on to Mangatu Marae on Te Whiwhi St Whatatutu, Sunday 4 May.

Transition stations along the way include Tapuihikitia Marae, the Puha Bridge, and Waikohu Health Centre.

“We had nearly 160 tāne, wahine and tamariki in last year’s event,” says Tūranga Health event organiser Denzil Moeke. Denzil says the biking legs have been dropped from this year’s event in an effort to attract more whānau. “Sourcing a bike is a hurdle some whānau can do without, so this year we have made it easy and there are running and walking legs only.”

People who qualify for the free vaccination include: pregnant women, people aged 65 and over, and anyone under 65 with long term health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, respiratory disease including asthma, kidney disease, and most cancers.

Denzil says using Marae-to-Marae routes for this fun event promotes connectedness It’s 20km between the start and end Marae with Marae, as well as healthy living. Tū Marae will also be used to promote the upand Tūranga Health staff are hoping huncoming influenza season. dreds will take up the challenge and walk and run their way from point to point. Influenza immunization is free from a GP or They want to try and match participant numbers the last time Tū Marae was held in nurse until July 31, 2014 for anyone in the district at high risk of complications. the area.

See you at Tū Marae Whānau!

Tū Marae Whānau has 8 legs: 4 walking legs Tū Marae Whānau, Sunday 4 May, 2014.

INFLUENZA VACCINE FOR GISBORNE FISHERIES STAFF Gisborne Fisheries staff including Chief Executive Salve Zame will avoid the miseries of influenza this year after they were vaccinated onsite at their fish processing facility on Peel St this week. Gisborne Fisheries is owned by the Zame family and distributes fish throughout New Zealand and overseas. Thirteen out of 15 staff received their influenza vaccination from Tūranga Heath nurse Margaret Parsons on Thursday during the afternoon tea break.

ous winter disease. “It’s a serious disease that can put you in hospital, or even kill,” said Mr Zame. He should know. A few years back he was knocked down with the debilitating illness and doesn’t hold back when he describes its effects. “I was lying on the couch in the foetal position. It’s ugly”. Tūranga Health Clinical Nurse Leader Karen Staples reminded locals that anyone can be vaccinated and it’s worth checking with your general practice to see if you are eligible for a free one. “Influenza immunization is free from a GP or nurse until July 31, 2014 for anyone in the district at high risk of complications”. People who qualify for the free vaccination include: pregnant women, people aged 65 and over, and anyone under 65 with long term health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, respiratory disease including asthma, kidney disease, and most cancers.

She applauded Mr Zame for showing foresight and a dedication to staff ahead of the Mr Zame had no hesitation offering his staff influenza season. the opportunity to stay safe from the seri-

Gisborne Fisheries boss Salve Zame receives his influenza vaccination from Tūranga Health nurse Margaret Parsons. Image: Alexandra Green.

Quit smoking now and win!

It’s never too late to quit! Join the competition for enrolled patients to celebrate World Smokefree Day on Saturday, 31 May 2014. Sign up for quit smoking support during April and May 2014 and be in to win a supermarket voucher for $175. This amount is equivalent to seven packets of 25 cigarettes. Enrolled patients at the following medical centres are eligible for this competition: Waikohu Health Centre - 06 862 3630 City Medical Gisborne - 06 868 6104 Three Rivers Medical Centre - 06 867 7411 Contact your medical centre team now!

Pipiwharauroa 'Tūranga Ararau'

Page 16


Te Ao Māori –Youth Programmes With this programme you can complete a range of national certificates aligned to your interests and goals as well as NCEA levels 1 – 2 with vocational pathways.

Sport Recreation & Fitness

Ngā Toi – Māori Performing Arts

Personal Fitness Personal Well Being Gym Techniques Outdoor Adventure

Waiata ā Ringa Mōteatea New Māori dance Haka

Toi Māori – Māori Arts & Crafts


Whakairo Bone Carving Kōwhaiwhai Tukutuku

Atawhai Taiohi - Preparation For Services Leadership Tikanga ā Iwi Fitness and Swimming Tramping &Camping Trips to Waiōuru Army Camp & Devonport Naval Base Maths & English and lots more …

Through this programme you can achieve the high academic and fitness standards required to gain entry to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police or Fire Service. An added bonus is the opportunity for you to complete the National Certificate in Cadet Forces (Foundation Skills) Level 2.

Computer Graphics Web Searching Power Points Word Processing


Retailing Customer Service Food and Beverages Health and Nutrition

On offer is a range of Youth Guarantee programmes for 16 to 19 year olds leading directly to employment and higher learning. ALL OF OUR YOUTH GUARANTEE PROGRAMMES:

Primary Industry Programmes Take your choice from farming, forestry, horticulture or aquaculture. As well as gaining national certificates in these industries you can complete NCEA levels 1 and 2 with primary vocational pathways. All programmes include health and safety, nutrition and first aid.


Forestry Logging


Marine Biology and Ecology Farm Repair and Maintenance Land Based Operations Water Quality Monitoring

General Requirements Nursery Work Fire Fighting Gardening Skills Chainsaw Maintenance & Operations Pruning and Picking


Farming Stockwork Fencing and Shearing Tractor Driving


Tūranga Ararau Iwi Education Provider Corner of Kahutia & Bright Streets

Ph: +64-6-868 1081

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.