Arrange a Conference at
the University of Vaasa 1
The beautiful seaside campus of the University of Vaasa also offers services to nonuniversity customers.
We offer modern facilities that are perfect for conferences, training and entertainment at Palosaari near the city centre. The campus area combines a seaside park, modern architecture and an old industrial milieu in a unique way. The University offers three auditoriums of different sizes for 100 to 500 people. The sizes of other facilities vary from classrooms, which are ideal for group work, to lecture halls for up to 120 people. Our facilities are also 3 suitable for trade fairs.
a Wide Range of Needs
The University of Vaasa Campus â€“ the Pearl of Palosaari The new buildings, Tervahovi and Luotsi, were completed in 1994. They were designed in the spirit of former provincial architect Axel Setterberg, who created the most important public buildings in Vaasa in the 1860s. The library building, Tritonia, was completed in 2001. It is home to a joint science library and learning centre for five higher education institutions in Vaasa. The new campus is designed by architects KĂ¤py and Simo Paavilainen. The older campus houses Fabriikki, Konttori, the Puuvilla Houses and the Technobothnia Research Centre for technology, built into the weaving hall of the former cotton mill.
The principal’s mind was made up when he saw the thick smoke rising from the hall.
Tervahovi The marble gate leads into the University’s main building, built on the site of a former tar hall. It was later transformed into a storage facility for the cotton mill, but was destroyed in a fire in 1973. At the time, there was heated debate about the future location of the University of Vaasa and Principal Mauri Palomäki’s mind was made up when he saw the thick smoke rising from the hall.
The light and airy glass-covered lobby area is the centre of Tervahovi. The building also houses the University’s large auditoriums: Levón, Wolff and Kurtén.
The Wolff auditorium can accommodate up to 250 people. The auditorium is named after Councillor of Commerce Carl Gustaf Wolff (1800–1868). Wolff was the largest private ship owner in the Nordic countries in the mid-1800s and he owned a shipyard in Palosaari strait.
The largest of the auditoriums is Levón, which can accommodate up to 500 people. The auditorium is named after Councillor of Commerce August Alexander Levón (1820–1875). He founded the Vaasa cotton mill, steam mill and the Vaasa steam boat limited companies and played a part in many other businesses. The Levón auditorium can be used for large international conferences, as the lecture hall offers modern equipment for audio, video, simultaneous interpretation and translation.
The Kurtén auditorium has a maximum capacity of 100 people. The auditorium is named after Councillor of Commerce Joachim Kurtén (1863–1899). Kurtén was the Chief Executive Officer of Vaasan Puuvillateollisuus Oy (Vaasa Cotton Industry) and also participated in the operations of Vaasan Höyrymylly (Vaasa Steam Mill) and Vaasan Saippua (Vaasa Soap).
Konttori The former cotton mill’s office building, Konttori, is located on the old campus. The University’s sauna facilities, suitable for meetings and conferences, are located on the basement floor. The facilities were comprehensively refurbished in 2006. The sauna environment is steeped in the historical atmosphere of the industrial milieu and seaside park. The sauna facilities include a pleasant meeting and relaxation space, as well as a fully equipped kitchen. The meeting facilities can accommodate up to 25 people. A bust of Councillor Levón decorates the front of Konttori, which was built in 1924. It was renovated based on a design by architect Gunilla LångKivilinna.
The sauna facilities were comprehensively refurbished in 2006.
Student accommodation and staff offices.
Puuvillatalot In addition to the office building, Puuvillakuja is home to three red-and-white wooden houses, Puuvillatalot, or Cotton Houses. The houses, previously the homes of cotton mill workers, are now used as student accommodation and staff 10 offices.
Fabriikki The cotton mill, built in 1857, represents the neo-gothic style with towers and unplastered brick surfaces. The cotton mill was in operation until 1979. Following renovations completed in 2008, Fabriikki now offers modern teaching and research facilities for two faculties. Fabriikki houses many lecture halls with capacities ranging from 15 to 120 people.
A Wide Range of Restaurant Services
High-quality restaurant services with expert staff are available on our campus. They serve conference lunches and coffee, and can also provide impressive dinners customised according to your wishes. The restaurant has a licence to serve alcoholic beverages.
Art in the Campus Area
Doctoral thesis wall Tervahovi In line with academic traditions, freshly printed doctoral theses are nailed on the wall ten days before the public examination. The wall is located by the main entrance and designed by architect Simo Paavilainen. It is decorated with Myrkytetty mieli (The poisoned mind), a lead sculpture by Professor of Finnish Academy of Fine Arts Radoslaw Grytan.
Agreement A meeting point on campus The Tervahovi yard contains a gold-coloured circle with a ten-metre diameter and a 55metre long steel beam. Together they form the Sopimus (Agreement) sculpture by Jyv채skyl채based sculptor Anne Alho, commissioned for the University of Vaasa by the Finnish State Art Collection. Sopimus depicts the union of different fields of study, and is intended as a piece of applied art.
Principal portraits Konttori The portraits of the University’s principals are displayed on the wall of the Konttori building’s conference room. The portrait of Principal Mauri Palomäki was painted by artist Per-Olof Hjortell. The portrait of Principle Tryggve Saxén was painted by Veikko Vionoja, Principle Ilkka Virtanen was immortalised by Friz Jakobsson and the portrait of Principle Ari Salminen was painted by Eeva Rihu.
Tar barrel Tervahovi At 10am on Tuesday 25 September 1973, a fire that started in Palosaari completely destroyed the last tar hall in Finland. The Tervahovi tar hall was completed in 1871 and operations there ended in 1926. The University’s Tervahovi building is named after the tar hall. A barrel gifted by the city is located in the lobby of the main building to remind us of Palosaari’s tar heritage. The tar barrel was gifted to the University on 27 January 1998 by the City of Vaasa to mark its thirtieth year as a university.
The beautiful environment of Palosaari Tervahovi (The main building and main entrance)
The Campus on Palosaari
ffi nt ie
Student Union House ity
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information! Sales of facility services Tel. +358 29 449 8101 or firstname.lastname@example.org uva.fi/en/about/campus/facilities/