Page 1

Student Handbook 2010-2011

Contents 5



aCademiC information


GeneraL PoLiCies


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


student aCtiVities


student serViCes


student-uniVersitY reLations





This handbook is provided to students and applicants for their general information and guidance only. It does not constitute a contract, either express or implied, and is subject to revision at the University’s discretion.

Southern: Leading the way in graduate studies in health/life sciences, education and social/public services.

dear students:


elcome to Southern Connecticut State University! As the great writer Oliver Wendell Holmes once said: “A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions.� You are about to embark on a journey through higher education, one that will offer you every opportunity to stretch your mind and pursue your dreams through a wide array of intellectual, social and creative opportunities. Here at Southern, you will find a diverse and dynamic campus in the midst of exciting change, both academic and physical. Southern offers a challenging and rich array of academic offerings — one that has grown and evolved to keep pace with the changing needs of our students and the greater community. Recently, for example, new programs have been added in fields such as nanotechnology, forensics, and creative writing. The university is also at the forefront of technology-driven learning initiatives, offering the largest number of online courses in the state. And, because students learn by doing, Southern undergraduates receive wonderful opportunities for experiential learning, both in Greater New Haven and around the world, in such diverse locations as Guatemala, Italy, and Ethiopia. On campus, you will find a university that is in the midst of a renaissance. Southern is nearing the end of the largest construction program in its 117-year history, highlighted by a major addition that doubles the size of the library, and the state-of-the-art Michael J. Adanti Student Center. Today, Southern students and faculty are enjoying the benefits of newly renovated classrooms and laboratories, many of which are equipped with the latest in educational technology. Beyond the classroom, you will find countless opportunities to broaden your perspective with lectures, plays, concerts, workshops, and more. Off campus, discover New Haven, the cultural capital of the region, offering you the chance to take in the performing and visual arts, athletics, and, of course, the most celebrated pizza in the state! Southern is a vibrant campus community, ready to provide you with the support, the guidance, and the inspiration to realize your goals. Have a successful year!


administration stanley f. Battle

Interim President

selase W. Williams

Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

James e. Blake

Executive Vice President

ronald d. Herron

Vice President for Student and University Affairs

megan a. rock

Vice President for Institutional Advancement

marcia smith Glasper

Executive Assistant to the President, Director of Diversity and Equity

Wendy C. Chang

Chief Information Officer

marianne Kennedy

Associate Vice President for Assessment, Planning, and Academic Programs

robert G. sheeley

Associate Vice President for Capital Budgeting and Facilities Operations

Peter f. troiano

Assistant Vice President and Dean, Student Affairs

donnaJean a. fredeen

Dean, School of Arts and Sciences

sharon P. misasi

Interim Dean, School of Education

Henry r. Hein

Interim Dean, School of Business

sandra C. Holley

Dean, School of Graduate Studies

Gregory J. Paveza

Dean, School of Health and Human Services

southern: Leading the way in graduate studies in health/life sciences, education and social/public services.


introduCtion Historical View — southern embarks on a Period of unprecedented Growth Southern Connecticut State University is in a period of change and growth unrivaled in its 117year history. Today, Southern is nearing the end of a $260 million construction program that is transforming the 168-acre campus. This program has already included the state-of-the-art Michael J. Adanti Student Center and a major renovation and expansion of Engleman Hall, the university’s main academic building. Work is currently in progress on the renovation and expansion of Buley Library. When completed, the library will be about double its present size. But bigger and better projects lie ahead for the university, thanks to the $950 million “CSUS 2020” plan approved in 2008 by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. M. Jodi Rell. The plan calls for the largest-ever construction program for the entire Connecticut State University System, including Southern. Under CSUS 2020, Southern will be able to address student program needs with various construction projects. Among the proposals is the construction of a new science building that would provide state-of-the-art laboratory space to prepare students to meet the state’s needs for science, technology, engineering and math professionals. The building would be designed for such disciplines as physics, chemistry, biology and computer science and hone students’ problem-solving skills, which are increasingly sought after by employers. Another potential project is a new health and human services building that would


the library and reading room at southern’s original campus on Howe street in new Haven, circa 1923.

expand Southern’s efforts to educate professionals to serve the wider community. The new building would house the university’s growing degree programs in nursing, public health, social work, and communication disorders, along with the clinic space needed for those programs. And while the massive construction program reflects the university’s evolving academic mission as it adjusts to the changing needs of its students and the greater community, facilities are only one piece of the puzzle. The university continues to develop programs that meet the needs of today’s marketplace and anticipate the trends of tomorrow. In recent years, Southern has added new offerings in nanotechnology, media studies and early childhood education; introduced a new master’s degree in computer science; and launched a fully online version of its existing graduate program in library science. An accelerated nursing program is geared toward professionals in other fields who already have a bachelor’s degree, and recently, the Nursing Department was awarded a $100,000 grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, to be used for nursing scholarships for students in the Accelerated Career Entry program. A new business course is empowering students to more closely study the stock market by making real investments, rather than just simulated trading. Any profits are maintained in the fund. A new bachelor’s degree program in athletic training was launched in fall 2007, and in 2008 the university received approval to offer a Master’s of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing. The university has also been successful in obtaining major grants that will benefit the community. For example, a $2.25 million federal grant enabled about 100 paraprofessionals in New Haven and three other major Connecticut cities to obtain tuition-free certification in spe-



cial education — a field with a shortage of teachers. In partnership with Yale University, Southern has established a National Science Foundation-funded center in materials science, which includes the creation of technologically advanced items such as computer chips and biological implants. It was made possible through a $7.5 million grant from the NSF, $1.5 million of which went to Southern. The National Science Foundation (NSF) has also awarded the university a $600,000 grant for the creation of a Pathways to Academic Excellence (PAcE) program, in which 26 outstanding high school and community college students wishing to pursue math, computer science, biology, chemistry, physics or earth science will receive full 4-year scholarships to Southern during the next several years. Already the only public college in the state to offer a graduate concentration in autism spectrum disorders, Southern now is home to the new Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders, which will provide training, conduct autism research, and offer services including evaluations and clinics. The university also reaches out beyond the state – and in fact, across the globe. Southern students have been exploring Antarctica to study the formation of continents. They also participate in public health field studies in Guatemala. And an Office of International Programs has been created that is expanding study-abroad possibilities for students. Southern’s origins were humble: a small school building on State Street in New Haven in 1893. At that time, the school’s sole task was to train teachers. The original 84 students in the old Skinner School would be proud to see what has happened to their alma mater since then. They would be astonished by the breadth and quality of academic offerings – 114 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. And they would certainly be awestruck to know that Southern’s enrollment has ballooned to nearly 12,000 students each fall. In fact, the university set several enrollment milestones during the fall 2009 semester with the largest number of both full-time students (8,346) and full-time undergraduates (7,366) in its history. Southern’s academic stature received a further boost when the university gained approval to offer its first-ever doctoral program — a Doctorate in Education (Ed.D.) This degree is specifically geared to offset the shortage of qualified candidates for top school administrative posts in the state and has been designed as an affordable, accessible option for Connecticut residents. The new doctoral program further enhances the reputation of Southern’s graduate school, which is already among the largest in New England. And it underscores the university’s commitment to train and educate Connecticut’s leaders in the health/life sciences, education, and social/public services. As part of this effort, hundreds of Southern students and faculty are involved each year in community initiatives and partnerships, such as internships, volunteer projects and collaborations with city schools and other organizations. In addition, thousands of youngsters and adults come to campus each year for educational workshops and seminars, cultural and sporting events, college-preparation programs and summer camps. Southern has become an integral part of the arts community as well. Partnerships have been established with Long Wharf Theatre, the New Haven Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra New England, and the International Festival of Arts and Ideas. Campus events at the John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts bring a wide range of excellent and affordable cultural



activities to the public, including the annual jazz series and the annual Mary and Louis Fusco Distinguished Lecture Series. Among those who have spoken at the Southern lecture series are Colin Powell, Madeleine Albright, Christopher and Dana Reeve, Rudolph Giuliani, Mario Cuomo, Bill Belichick, Whoopi Goldberg, and Tim Russert. In athletics, Southern has one of the top NCAA Division II programs in the country, with 10 national team titles and 71 individual championships. In 2007, the women’s basketball team won its first-ever national title.

the student Handbook The Southern Connecticut State University Student Handbook, which complements the University Catalog, contains information about campus life. This handbook is provided to students and applicants for their general information and guidance only. It does not constitute a contract, either express or implied, and is subject to revision at the university’s discretion. It is prepared and published by the Office of Student Affairs in cooperation with the Office of Public Affairs. Southern Connecticut State University reserves the right to change announcements, procedures, and regulations whenever necessary. The Student Handbook can also be found on the university Web site

discrimination and sexual Harassment Prevention Policy It is the policy of Southern Connecticut State University to prohibit discrimination based on all protected classes including, but not limited to, race, color, religious creed, age, sex, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation. Discrimination includes harassment on any basis mentioned above, and sexual harassment as defined in the Connecticut General Statutes, U.S. EEOC Guidelines of Sexual Harassment, and in Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972. Discrimination or harassment will not be tolerated at Southern Connecticut State University, whether by faculty, students or staff, or by others while on property owned by or under the control of the University. The purpose of this policy is to help prevent acts of discrimination/harassment and to offer students and employees who believe they have experienced discrimination or harassment a means to promptly redress any such claim. The University's goal is to end the discrimination or harassment and promote a learning and working environment free of discrimination and harassment. Any employee, student, or applicant for employment or admission to the University, who believes that he or she has been discriminated against or harassed as defined by this policy may file a complaint by following the Procedures for Discrimination and Harassment Complaints available on the SCSU Web site through the Office of Diversity and Equity Web address at Inquiries regarding the university’s compliance with state and federal laws regarding discrimination may be directed to the Office of Diversity and Equity Programs at (203) 392-5492 or (203) 392-5491 at Southern Connecticut State University; the Commission of Human Rights and Opportunities, West Central Region Office, 55 West Main St., Suite 210, Waterbury, CT 07602; or the Office of Civil Rights, United States Department of Education, 8th Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109-3921, (617) 289-0111, 8


aCademiC information absences from Class Faculty outline the class attendance policy in each course syllabus, and, typically also inform students of the portion of the final course grade that will be determined by class attendance/ participation. In an instance where the student knows in advance of a critical need to miss class, the student should, in advance of the absence, discuss the upcoming absence with the faculty member and explore arrangements that need to be made to make up missed work. Students who miss class because of unforeseeable circumstances should contact the faculty member(s) as soon as feasible after the missed class, to inform the faculty member and, if deemed appropriate by the faculty member, to learn what the student might be able to do to make up for the missed work. Students who are absent from class(es) for six or more consecutive days for physical or mental health reasons are advised to consult with the Health or Counseling Center, especially when faculty are asking for documentation about class absence. In these instances, the student must present documentation from the off-campus treating physician or mental health provider. In the case of physical health issues, the documentation must be provided to the


Health Services; in the case of mental health issues, the documentation must be provided to the Counseling Center. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The directors of health services and counseling center provide verification of the illness to each faculty member, who may, if the facts merit it, make adjustments to course requirements. In cases where a significant portion of coursework has been missed and it may be difficult to make up all the coursework, students should confer with the Dean of Students Affairs or designee or a representative in the Registrar’s Office to consider their various options.

academic Programs Descriptions of all academic programs are presented in depth in the University Undergraduate Catalog and on the university Web site.

academic standings Policy Undergraduate students (matriculated; part-time or full-time) achieving a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better are in good standing. Students with a GPA less than 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. A student’s GPA is determined by the number of GPA hours for which the student received a grade of “A”, “B”,“C”, “D”, or “F”. A student is placed on non-matriculated status and can no longer be enrolled as a full-time student if he or she: • has attempted at least 30 credits and does not have a GPA of 1.5 or greater; or • has attempted at least 45 credits and does not have a GPA of 1.8 or greater; or • has attempted at least 60 credits and does not have a GPA of 2.0 or greater. A student who holds academic deficient status may enroll on a part-time basis as a nonmatriculated student. A student who was in good standing while attempting the 60 credits, but later fails to maintain a 2.0 GPA will be given one semester on probation to raise it to 2.0. A student placed on non-matriculated status may submit a written appeal to the Academic Standings Committee through the Registrar’s Office. The committee will decide whether the student has a reasonable chance to achieve the required GPA within one additional semester and, if so, may reinstate the student to probationary status. The decision of the Academic Standings Committee may be appealed in writing to Office of Academic Affairs, Engleman A210 prior to the first day of classes. Academic Affairs will then make a final decision before the end of the add/drop period.

application for readmission A student who officially withdrew from the University in good standing and has not attended any other colleges or universities should apply to the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building for readmission. A student who has been academically dismissed may apply for readmission for full-time status at the end of the semester that he or she has attained at the least probationary status. Application is made through the Registrar’s Office by completing an application for full-time readmission. Readmission does not assure acceptance by the department of


aCademiC information

the student’s intended major. Students who have attended other institutions after leaving SCSU must apply to the Admissions Office for reacceptance to SCSU.

attendance in Class Students are expected to attend class regularly. Freshmen, in particular, should attend all class sessions to develop proper study habits as they begin their college education. Instructors may set mandatory class attendance as a course requirement. When attendance is mandatory, the instructor will announce in writing during the first week of the semester the effect that absences will have on the student’s evaluation. Students are responsible for material presented in the class whether they are present or not. Unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, students should not expect to use future class time or private tutoring by their instructors to make up work missed during their absences. Instructors will announce in writing their policy for exams during the first week of the semester. Policies include any penalty for missed exams or arrangements for make-up exams. In all courses, students must take announced exams at the time they are given. Students should expect to be penalized for missing announced exams unless there is an acceptable reason for the absence.

Change of address Students must have a current address on file in the Registrar’s Office. Any change of address must be reported in writing immediately to the Registrar’s Office. Students shall be responsible for any university communication sent to the address last given to the Registrar’s Office, and may not claim indulgence on the basis of having moved and, therefore, not having received the communication.

Class Cancellation advisory Students should be aware that courses may be cancelled due to low enrollments and other reasons. Students will receive notification from the appropriate department if a course is cancelled; however, it is a good idea for students to check their schedules prior to the start of classes to ensure that all registered courses will be offered. Students should check the Web for up-to-date course information. The following policy statement was formulated in conjunction with the academic deans and serves to guide the university's decision-making with respect to class cancellations during

aCademiC information


the regular academic semesters and during the summer and winter sessions: Fall and Spring Semesters: Under normal circumstances, after consultation with department chairs, academic deans will cancel classes for low enrollment, 10 days before the first day of classes. Summer and Intersession: Under normal circumstances, after consultation with department chairs, academic deans will cancel classes for low enrollment, 10 days before the first day of classes. Dean’s Discretion: In all sessions, the dean may take into consideration the discipline, the rotation of courses within the degree program, the needs of students to graduate on time, etc., and may choose to run sections of classes with enrollments less than those stated above.

Class designation Students are assigned to a class according to the number of their earned credits thus far. 00 – 29 credits — Freshman Class 30 – 59 credits — Sophomore Class 60 – 89 credits — Junior Class 90 or more credits — Senior Class

Course audit Audit status is a reasonable alternative for a student who wants to take a particular course, but does not have the proper background. Students who audit a course pay the same tuition and fees they would if they opted for a grade. However, they receive no academic grade or grade points, and the course may not be included in the 12 credits needed for fulltime status. Although no final grade is submitted, students do have the right to take exams, write papers, and have them evaluated. Students may register as auditors, or change from credit to audit, anytime before the end of the third week of classes. However, the deadline for changing back to a traditional grade is the end of the period for adding or dropping courses. Prior to auditing, students must discuss with the instructor the criteria for a successful audit and receive the written approval of the instructor. Forms for this purpose are available in the Registrar’s Office and must be returned to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline.

dean’s List The deans of the University recognize the high academic achievement of their undergraduate students by compiling a dean’s list each semester. Students must meet the following qualifications to be named to the dean’s list: • Not more than 10 percent of the freshman and sophomore classes will be named to the dean’s list; • Not more than 10 percent of the junior and senior classes in each school of the University will be named to the dean’s list for their respective school; • All students must earn a GPA of at least 3.000 to be considered; • Freshmen and sophomores must carry a minimum of 15 credits to be considered;


aCademiC information

• Juniors and seniors must carry a minimum of 14 credits to be considered. (For this purpose, credits carried is defined as the number of credits earned plus the number of credits failed for the semester.)

degree application Degrees are conferred three times a year, in January, May, and August (fall, spring, summer). There is no formal commencement at the end of the fall or summer terms. However students completing degree requirements in the summer or fall may participate in the commencement held the following May. Students completing graduation requirements who have filed an online application will have their diplomas mailed to their permanent address. Degree applications are available on the Web at Undergraduate students should click on the Undergraduate Students link, and graduate students should click on the Graduate Students link to apply. Students eligible for graduation must complete an application by the appropriate deadline. Deadlines are on the Registrar’s Office Web site. Students who do not meet the published deadlines must apply for the next degree cycle. Students seeking certification must also obtain and submit an Application for Certification.

degree requirements Students are responsible for fulfilling the requirements for their degree programs. They should be acquainted with the Degree Program section of the Undergraduate Catalog, and with the requirements for their choice of major in the Programs and Courses section of the Undergraduate Catalog. They should also be aware of any official changes in degree requirements or major requirements. If there is any doubt or question concerning degree requirements, the student should contact their departments.

emergency transcripts You may request an Emergency Transcript at the Registrar's Office in the Wintergreen Building Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Emergency Transcripts are $15 each and only one emergency transcript may be requested per day. Fill out the form (available only in the Registrar's Office), bring it to the Bursar's Office, along with your $15 payment, and the Bursar will stamp the form as paid. Return the stamped form to the Registrar's Office and have your

aCademiC information


proof of identification (either a Hoot Loot card or a valid driver's license) ready. Emergency Transcripts must be requested in person, with no exceptions.

first Year experience first Year academic Program options The First Year Experience Program (FYE) introduces first-year students to the demands of academic and social development by fostering intellectual inquiry, encouraging community involvement, and instilling in them a passion for lifelong learning. At the heart of the FYE is the notion of Learning Communities. All first-time, first-semester students take part in one of three learning communities during their first year at the University: Inquiry, LINKS, or for selected students, the Honors College Learning Community. inquiry 101 — inquiry Learning Community: Brings together students to study, learn, and create togther in a composition course and a 3-credit seminar course designed to assist small groups of first-year students with becoming academically engaged members of the University. All sections center around themes related to the meanings of higher education and meet a series of common objectives. For more information, contact Jan Jones in the FYE office at (203) 392-6671. LinKs Program Learning Community: Connects small groups of first-year students and faculty through selected courses required in the general education curriculum. Each course retains its individual identity but is “linked” by a common theme emphasizing the interrelations between and among the disciplines. For more information, contact Dr. Volkman at (203) 3926780. Honors College: A four-year program designed for a small group of exceptionally well-prepared students. First-year students interested in joining this learning community must be accepted by the University by January 15 and must notify the Honors College of their interest in joining the program by January 30. More information about the application process is available online on the Honors College Website at

fresh start option The purpose of the Fresh Start Option is to retain and offer support to students who experience a poor start and were dropped from matriculated status or withdrew from the University. (However, this option is not available to education majors.) This option allows them to be readmitted to the University and to disregard their previous record in calculating their Grade Point Average. All courses and grades will remain on the students permanent record and the date the Fresh Start Option was invoked will also be entered on the student’s permanent record. The student will receive credit for courses taken before that date in which he or she received an “A”, “B”, or “C.” (This does not include C- grades). The GPA will be calculated solely on the basis of courses taken after that date. The option is available only once, only to students who are not education majors, and only to students who have completed the following conditions. • had a GPA below 2.0 and status changed to non-matriculated; • have been non-matriculated for at least one year;


aCademiC information

• since being made non-matriculated, have completed 9-12 credits and earned a 2.75 GPA (If credits are from another university or college, please have official transcript sent to Southern Connecticut State University Registrar’s Office, Wintergreen Building); • have not reached junior status (60) credits, including the 9-12 credits referred to above; • not an education major. (The School of Education does not endorse the Fresh Start Option.) Applications for the Fresh Start Option may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office, Wintergreen Building. Notes: 1 By grade refers to any of the grades specified in the university Undergraduate or Graduate Catalogs. 2 Semester means the January to May or the September to December sessions of classes. 3 The composition of this committee and its election procedures shall be determined by each department, subject to ll F. Revised 2008

Grade appeal Procedures i. assumptions A.The awarding of grades1 is the responsibility of the instructor of the course. B. A grade shall be changed only with the consent of the instructor of the course and with the approval of the provost or appropriate dean except for cases that are specified in this document. C. In order to protect academic freedom, promote academic integrity, and to avoid possible negative implications for faculty evaluations, all grade appeals must be based on a claim of palpable injustice. A palpable injustice occurs when a faculty member has been demonstrably inconsistent and unfair to the student. Palpable injustice represents a clear and blatant violation of a reasonable evaluation procedure, regardless of whether that procedure is stated or implied. Palpable injustice is NOT warranted when other faculty members simply disagree with the grade, would have graded differently, would have rounded off to the next highest grade, or would have preferred a different evaluation procedure. For example, the Department Grade Appeal Committee or University Grade Appeal Committee is not justified in changing a “WF” to a “WP” by considering the circumstances for the withdrawal. The issue is whether the faculty member applied the policy appropriately. D. These procedures apply only to the change of a grade under conditions specified in section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. They may be implemented after a final grade has been submitted or after a request for a late withdrawal has been denied by the instructor, and any change may be upward or downward. E. These procedures may be implemented at any time during the academic year subject to II A below. F. The week of Spring Break shall not be counted when determining how long the grade appeal has been in process.

aCademiC information


ii. Procedures A. Grade appeals must be initiated on an individual basis. A student must submit a written and signed rationale to the instructor (no electronic submissions permitted) stating the reason for the grade appeal and the grade s/he feels should have been received anytime after receipt of the grade until the end of 3rd week of the semester2 (called hereinafter the appeal semester) following the date on which a grade was awarded. Grade appeals for work during summer, winter and spring break sessions must be made according to the schedule for the next full semester. See the section on deadlines below. The student and the instructor shall then attempt to settle the matter in good faith. B. If it is impossible for the student to contact the instructor (with the help of the instructor’s chair if needed), or if the student and instructor cannot reach an agreement, the student must report this to the instructor’s chair or the program director (in the case of courses in interdisciplinary programs) by the end of the 5th week of the appeal semester. C. If the instructor can be contacted, and the student and instructor disagree, the following shall take place: 1. Working in good faith, the chair/director, the instructor, and student shall attempt to settle the matter. 2. If the student, the chair/director and instructor are unable to reach an agreement, then the chair/director has until the end of the 7th week of the appeal semester to do one of the following: A. Convene a committee elected3 by the department (hereinafter called the Department Grade Appeal Committee or DGAC) which shall, in consultation with the instructor and student, decide whether a palpable injustice has occurred. The DGAC must reach its decision by the 10th week of the appeal semester, or the appeal goes directly to the University Grade Appeal Committee (UGAC). The student or the faculty member has the right of appeal to the (UGAC). In such instances, the UGAC must reach its decision by the last day of the finals’ week of the appeal semester. B. Refer the matter to the UGAC, which shall, in consultation with the instructor and student, decide whether a palpable injustice has occurred. C. Decide not to convene a DGAC or to refer the matter to the UGAC, only if the chair/director determines that the grade appeal has no merit. 3. If the chair/director decides not to convene a DGAC nor refer the matter to the UGAC, the student may refer the matter to the UGAC, but must do so by the end of the 9th week of the appeal semester. 4. The DGAC or the UGAC shall make a decision with reference to the grade appeal following consultation with the instructor, student, and others whom it deems appropriate. The meetings of the DGAC or UGAC shall consist of the respective committee members, and others, only if invited by the DGAC or the UGAC. A grade change may take place when the DGAC or the UGAC decides that a palpable injustice has occurred, and the new grade will be based on the evidence presented. The DGAC or the UGAC shall treat each student as a separate case. The DGAC’s or UGAC’s decision shall include a written rationale for each decision signed by the committee members. The student, the instructor, the department chair/director, and the chair of the DGAC (when applica16

aCademiC information

ble) shall be notified in writing of the committee’s decision. If a grade change has been made, the registrar shall also be notified in writing. THE DECISION OF THE DGAC CAN BE APPEALED TO THE UGAC BY EITHER STUDENT COMPLAINANT OR AFFECTED FACULTY MEMBER, AND THE DECISION OF THE UGAC SHALL BE FINAL. 5. If a student or instructor appeals a DGAC decision, the appellant takes the matter directly to the UGAC by the end of the 12th week of the appeal semester. The UGAC will entertain an appeal on the basis of a palpable injustice that should or should not have been determined by the DGAG, or if the student, instructor, chair/director, or DGAC did not follow correct procedure. THE DECISION OF THE UGAC SHALL BE FINAL. D. If it is impossible to contact the instructor, or the instructor refuses to participate, the procedure in II C is followed without the presence or involvement of the instructor. E. Deadlines and deadline extensions. 1. “By the 3rd week” means 3 weeks (21 calendar days) into the semester, starting with the 1st day of classes. Other deadlines are to be interpreted similarly. 2. A dean of the appropriate school may extend any grade appeal deadline only at the appellant’s request and only if the appellant provides written evidence that physical or mental incapacitation led to the missed deadline. The request must be made, in writing, no later than the end of the first week of classes following the original grade appeal semester. F. Structure of the Grade Appeal Committee. The GAC shall consist of three department or program members, excluding the instructor, the chair, non-tenured faculty and those on leave. In cases of hardship (when too few department/program members are available), the chair will follow the same procedures as those for convening a hardship DEC. G. Structure of the University Grade Appeal Committee. The UGAC shall consist of seven members, including six university-wide elected members who serve a term of three years each, plus one member of the affected department/program, and one university-wide elected alternate who fills in as needed. Two elected members will be from the school of Arts and Sciences; the other four schools shall have one member each. No more than one elected member per department is permitted. Any grade appeal decision shall not be made by fewer than three UGAC members. The instructor whose grade is being appealed cannot serve on UGAC for that appeal. iii. amendments A. This document may be amended by two-thirds vote of the Faculty Senate with the concurrence of the university President. iV. interpretation A. This section may not be invoked with respect to the interpretation of any item of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. If an issue develops concerning interpretation of this document, whether initiated by the senate, a faculty member, or any member of the administration, a binding decision on such an issue shall be made: 1. by agreement between the President of the University and a majority of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate or, failing to obtain agreement on an issue by this method,

aCademiC information


2. by a committee consisting of one member selected by the Senate Executive Committee, one selected by the President of the University, and one selected by the first two committee members, who, by a two-thirds vote shall decide such an issue. V. implementation A. This document shall take effect upon approval by a two-thirds vote of the Faculty Senate with the concurrence of the President of the university.

Grading system The following grades are used on academic records: Grade Point average To determine a student’s grade point average (GPA), also referred to as Quality Point Ratio (QPR), letter grades are assigned grade points as follows: A+ = 4.0 B+ = 3.3 C+ = 2.3 D+ = 1.3 F=0 A = 4.0 B = 3.0 C = 2.0 D = 1.0 A- = 3.7 B- = 2.7 C- = 1.7 D- = 0.7 The numerical weight given each grade is then multiplied by the number of credits (semester hours) assigned to each course. Thus, a grade of C in a three-credit course merits six quality points (2 x 3). The grades of “I,” “P,” “S,” “W,” “W/F,” “W/P,” and “Z” carry no quality points, and the credits for those courses are not considered in the total credits attempted, so they have no effect on the GPA. A student’s GPA is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the number of credits attempted. EXCEPTIONAL A+ A A-





P = Pass in a course where all students receive P or F S = Pass in a course taken for Pass-Fail Option Z = Satisfactory Audit of classes Certain codes are used to indicate unusual situations: N = Student never attended R = No grade reported by instructor W = Officially withdrawn X = Grades withheld for non-payment. W/F or W/P = Late withdrawal: withdrawn failing or withdrawn passing If a course is repeated, both grades will appear on the permanent record and will be used in determining the cumulative GPA. Credits for both attempts will be counted toward credits attempted, but the credits will be earned just once. The GPA of a transfer student is based solely on courses taken at SCSU.


aCademiC information

Honors Undergraduate students who have maintained a 3.5-3.69 GPA are graduated cum laude; 3.73.89 magna cum laude; 3.9-4.0 summa cum laude. The GPA is computed from the student’s entire collegiate record. Transfer students who have taken at least 60 credit hours at SCSU and have attained a 3.5 GPA or higher in these courses will be eligible for academic honors. Only earned grades at Southern will be tabulated when determining academic honors.

Honors thesis Juniors and seniors with exceptional motivation and potential in their chosen disciplines may choose to pursue a rigorous path to graduation with departmental honors. Students wishing to participate should contact the chairperson of the University Honors Committee. The production of a high-quality thesis or performance completes the requirement for departmental honors.

incomplete Courses A temporary grade of “Incomplete” (I) is recorded when a student has a valid reason as determined by the instructor for not meeting a partial requirement in a course prior to the termination of the semester. The student requests Incomplete status from their instructor. If granted, the Incomplete must be removed not more than 30 days after the next semester begins. If the student fails in his responsibility to complete the work, the grade automatically becomes a failure, “F”. If the instructor is giving the student longer than the 30-day period to complete coursework, then the instructor must file an Incomplete Extension Form with the Registrar’s Office. Students should be aware that a grade of incomplete may impact financial aid.

aCademiC information


independent study Students who wish to pursue special research or other projects may request independent study in any department in the university. Forms for application for independent study are available in the offices of the academic deans.

information requests The Registrar’s Office does not release academic information about any student unless the student makes a request in writing. Local addresses, permanent addresses, and telephone numbers are not released without the consent of the student.

internships The university provides a diverse internship program to give students the chance to get onthe-job professional training while earning college credit. Students can serve semester-long or academic-year internships in federal, state, and local government agencies, departments, and offices, or with private firms. Interested students should contact their departmental chairperson or dean.

midterm Grades As part of the course evaluation process, students will receive a midterm grade for most courses directly from their instructors. The midterm grade will be given to the student either online or in writing during the eighth week of classes for full semester courses, and by the end of the fourth week for eight-week courses. A student who has not received a midterm grade by these times should confer with the instructor. If this meeting does not result in the student’s receiving a midterm grade, the student should contact the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered. For additional information the student is advised to consult with the appropriate academic dean. Any student, especially a freshman who is doing unsatisfactory work (“D” or “F”) at the time of midterm grade reporting, is encouraged to initiate conferences with their instructor and academic advisor.

minimal standards Students dropping below a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the end of a semester are, depending on accumulated credit hours, subject to either academic probation or removal from full-time status. Students who have all the coursework for their degree, but do not have a cumulative 2.0 GPA will be ineligible to graduate.

new england regional student Program Southern Connecticut State University is a participant in the New England Higher Education Compact. This offers residents of other New England states the opportunity to enroll at SCSUfor academic programs not available at public institutions in their home state, at the Connecticut resident tuition rate plus 50 percent. Other fees are also required. Similarly,


aCademiC information

Connecticut residents can avail themselves of programs offered by public schools in the other New England states that are not available in Connecticut public institutions. For more information about the New England Regional Student Program, contact the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; Phone: (617) 357 9620; Web site: or contact the Registrar’s Office of Southern Connecticut State University at (203) 392-5301.

Proficiency Policy Any entering student who places into the non-credit bearing courses, Elementary Algebra MAT 095, and/or Composition Writing Lab ENG 097, must complete those courses within the first 24-load credits of university work. Any student who finds that they must take one or both of these courses will be required to sign a contract at registration stating their intent to meet this proficiency requirement. If a student fails to complete these courses within 24 credits of coursework, she/he will not be allowed to register for courses at any Connecticut State University Institution. This policy reflects a resolution passed by the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State University System on July 16, 2003.

readmission: See Application for Readmission, Page 10 registration Registration occurs during November and December for the following spring semester and April and May for the following fall semester. The full schedule of courses, as well as up-todate information regarding course openings and closings, can be accessed at All undergraduate matriculated students are required to meet with their advisers prior to making course selections for the upcoming semester. Petition for irregular schedule A petition for irregular schedule is defined as a schedule in which a student is requesting to enroll in greater than 18 undergraduate (UG)/15 graduate (GR) credits or less than 12 UG/9 GR credits while maintaining full-time student classification, or registering for a graduate course as an undergraduate student for either graduate or undergraduate credit. Students requesting to enroll in more than 18 UG/15 GR credits must have a GPA greater than or equal to 3.00 and be prepared to pay additional monies. Students requesting to enroll in less than 12 UG/9 GR credits while maintaining full-time student classification must meet the requirements set forth in the CSU Board of Trustees Resolution BR-03-05.

aCademiC information


The form is available on the Registrar’s Office Web site and must be signed by the student’s adviser and appropriate dean prior to being submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Pass-fail option The Pass-Fail option is open to students who have completed 45 or more credits. The courses for which the Pass-Fail option is used may not be applied to the University Requirements or to the requirements of a major or minor. Students may take a total of only five courses on a Pass-Fail option, with only one taken in any given semester. Students have three weeks into the semester to change their option either back to a grade or from a grade to a pass-fail. The Pass-Fail option is “blind” in that the instructor is not aware of the student’s use of the PassFail option until after the grades are submitted. An “S” grade is recorded on the student’s transcript for passing a course taken on a Pass-Fail option. Special Pass-Fail option forms, which must be signed by the student’s adviser, are available during the registration period and up to three weeks into the semester at the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. semester Credit Load A normal undergraduate course load is 15 to 18 credits per semester. A student must carry a minimum of 12 credits to be considered a full-time student.

registration Procedures Continuing Students must register through Banner Web Services (MySCSU). Students will receive Registration information through their Southern e-mail in March for fall registration and October for spring registration. Matriculated undergraduate students must meet with their adviser and obtain an alternate pin number prior to registering. add/drops Students may add/drop courses through the first week of the semester via the Web. Full-time undergraduate students should not drop below 12 credits and full-time graduate students should not drop below 9 credits. Course Withdrawals Full-time and part-time students may withdraw from a full semester course prior to the ninth week of classes; for an eight-week course prior to the sixth week of classes. Such a withdrawal is recorded as a W on the transcript record. Each faculty member should provide some kind of formal evaluation so that each student will know their class standing prior to the end of the period for course withdrawals. A student can withdraw from a course through Banner Web Services (MySCSU) prior to the end of the withdrawal period. It is understood that every student should confer with his or her instructor and academic adviser in order to ensure proper faculty advisement before withdrawing from a course. The deadline for students to change their status to part-time is at the end of the period for adding and dropping courses as listed in the Schedule of Classes. Withdrawals after the nine-week period (or after five weeks for eight-week courses) must be done with the consent of the instructor. Late course withdrawals are to be viewed as exceptions to the general policy. In a case where the instructor feels a late withdrawal is justified, the instructor should obtain and fill out a Late Course Withdrawal Form available in the Registrar’s Office. At this time the instructor will assign a grade of either 22

aCademiC information

“WP” (Withdrawn Passing) or “WF” (Withdrawn Failing). The Late Course Withdrawal Form must be approved and signed by both the instructor and the department chairperson. In the event that the instructor teaching the course is the department chairperson, then the dean must also sign the original form. The entire form is then submitted to the Registrar’s Office. No late course withdrawals will be allowed after the last scheduled class. No late course withdrawals will be allowed during the final exam period. debts, fines and obligations Students who have outstanding debts in the Business Office, unpaid library fines, outstanding parking fines, unpaid housing fees, violations of Financial Aid Office rules, or are full-time undergraduates living on campus who have not submitted required forms to Health Services shall have a block placed against their registrations. Students will not be permitted to register until they clear these obligations with the appropriate offices.

replacement Grade option If a student wishes to retake a course for a different grade, they can register for the course again as a “Replacement” course. Although both grades will appear on the student’s transcript, the replacement course grade will be used to calculate the student’s University GPA instead of the old grade. The student receives credits for the course only once. If the student has already taken the course more than once, the replacement grade will be used in place of the lowest previous grade for the course in order to calculate the student’s GPA. Students are required to meet with their academic advisers before pursuing a replacement grade. Conditions and restrictions • A student must complete the “Replacement Course” form in the Registrar’s Office to indicate that s/he intends the course to be a “Replacement.” This form must be completed prior to the last day of the add/drop period; otherwise, both the new grade and the old grade will be calculated into the GPA. • Once a course is designated a “Replacement” course, the new grade received will replace the old grade, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the old grade. • The “Replacement” course grade cannot be undone, other than by withdrawing from the course before it is over. If the student withdraws, they cannot register for the same replacement course a second time. • The “Replacement” option can only be pursued once per course, and only for a total of 15 credits. • If a course taken as a writing intensive “W” course is retaken without a W designation, the new grade will still replace the old grade for GPA purposes, and the original “W” can still be used to fulfill “W” requirements, as long as the student received a passing grade for the course. • Some SCSU programs may be required to calculate both grades for GPA purposes. Students are required to meet with their academic advisers before pursuing a replacement grade. • Once awarded a degree, a student may not go back and replace individual courses within that degree.

aCademiC information


rotC (reserve officer training Candidate) Students may earn a commission in the United States Army or Air Force through the ROTC program at the University of Connecticut, Storrs. A two- or four-year sequence of courses may be selected. Interested students should inquire about the ROTC Scholarship Program. For Army ROTC call (860) 486-4538; for Air Force ROTC call (860) 486-2224.

selection of a degree Program A matriculated student can select a degree program by filling out a Selection of Degree Form, which can be found online at Print and complete form, have it signed by the chair and an adviser in the department selected, and then submit the signed form to the Registrar’s Office. application to a department Students who wish to pursue a major in professional fields where certification is required must apply to a department to gain acceptance for major concentration during the first half of their fourth semester at the university. Students who seek a BA degree in the arts and sciences should also apply to the department of their intended major. assignment to an academic adviser Course advisement begins at the time of the first registration period and continues throughout the student’s academic career at Southern. Every student must be assigned an academic adviser. Students who elect a major will be assigned an adviser by their department. Students who are not ready to elect a major will be assigned to the Academic Advisement Center located in the Wintergreen Building. An academic adviser is a faculty member who discusses, advises, and guides a student in planning and/or selecting a program to obtain a degree in a particular subject area. Students are reminded, however, that having an adviser does not exempt them from the responsibility of carefully reading the Undergraduate Catalog and other advisement publications in order to understand the requirements of their programs. Problems or Questions Because academic advisers are teaching professors, they are available to students only during posted office hours. Students who have schedules incompatible with their advisers should report to the department office to be assigned a new adviser (if they have elected a major) or to the Academic Advisement Center (if they have not elected a major). Students should plan to see their adviser regularly during the academic year. They should also make an appointment with their academic adviser to discuss their selection of courses as soon as they receive registration information.

taking Courses at other institutions Matriculated students in good standing (2.0 GPA or higher) who plan to take courses at other institutions must obtain prior approval from the Registrar’s Office in order to apply this course


aCademiC information

work toward the degree requirements of the University. The approval forms are available in the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. A maximum of 90 credits from other four-year institutions, including no more than 63 credits from two-year colleges, can be applied toward degree requirements at Southern.

transfer students The Admissions Office mails transfer students an official evaluation of courses and credits accepted for transfer after students have been admitted to the university and upon receipt of their official transcripts from the colleges they previously attended. When applying to a department, transfer students should have the official evaluation form with them to aid their advisers in planning a program. If questions or problems arise after they arrive on campus, transfer students should contact the transfer admissions coordinator in the Admissions Office or the Academic Advisement Center.

transcripts Official University transcripts for graduate schools, prospective employers, and other institutions that are not requested using Banner Web Services must be requested in writing. The request may be completed on the official form, available in the Registrar's Office or on the Registrar’s Office Web site. Mailed in or faxed in requests are usually processed in the order that they are received, within 4 to 5 business days, except during peak periods when the processing time averages 10 to 15 business days. We will not process your transcript request if you still owe Southern any fees or fines. On-line requests submitted through Banner Web Services are printed and mailed on the same day that they are requested. If you indicate on your request that the transcript is to be held for completion of courses-in-progress, processing will occur within ten working days after the final grades are posted. We suggest that you make your request during the week of final examinations.

transcripts - emergency You may request an Emergency Transcript at the Registrar's Office in the Wintergreen Building Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Emergency Transcripts are $15 each and only one emergency transcript may be requested per day. Fill out the form (which is only available in the Registrar's Office), take the form with you to the Bursar's Office when you make the $15 payment, and the Bursar will stamp the form as paid. Return the stamped form to the Registrar's Office and have your proof of identification (either a Hoot Loot card or a valid driver's license) ready for the staff member attending the front window. Emergency Transcripts must be requested in person, no exceptions.

Waiver examinations Waiver examinations are available to students who, as the result of previous experience,

aCademiC information


already have proficiency in subject areas. Examinations are given in all basic freshman and sophomore subjects required for graduation or as prerequisites to advanced courses in certain disciplines. A mark of A or B waives the course and earns three credits; a “C” earns a waiver without credit. A lower grade usually indicates the need to take the course. Waiver credits are not considered when tabulating a student’s GPA. Waiver examinations are given in the fall and spring of each year. Students who want to take these two-hour examinations must make arrangements with the appropriate department.

Withdrawal Policy A student who wants to withdraw officially from the university should consult with a representative from the Registar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. This representative will discuss the withdrawal with the student and will also make a preliminary evaluation of readmission possibilities. The student then completes an official withdrawal form. Students who are withdrawing should carefully note the following: • Readmission at a later date is not automatic. Application for readmission may be made in the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. • Students readmitted to the university are held to the academic requirements in effect in the catalog at the time of their readmission. • For students who withdraw from the university before the last scheduled class, a grade of “W” will be assigned for all courses taken that semester. • Students who do not officially withdraw but cease to attend classes will be considered enrolled and will receive failing grades. • Students who plan to complete the semester but do not intend to return the following semester should complete their withdrawal forms prior to the their last final examination, dated effective after the end of the semester. • A leave of absence may be discussed with a representative from the Registrar’s Office. A leave of absence is designed for students who have a specific time frame in which they plan to return to Southern. • The refund policy, if applicable, may be found in the Fees and Expenses section of the Undergraduate Catalog. Reminder: Failure to withdraw officially from the university may result in failing grades being recorded on your transcript. It may also lead to problems with debt to the university and affect future financial aid awards.


GeneraL PoLiCies Bicycles In the interest of public safety, bicycles should be securely chained and locked in the bicycle racks available on campus. Bicycles are prohibited from being secured to light poles, railings, benches, etc. Bicycles are prohibited from being parked or stored in university buildings, residence halls, on sidewalks and driveways, or in motor vehicle parking spaces. They must be parked so as not to obstruct free passage of vehicles and pedestrians. The University Police reserve the right to remove bicycles in violation of this policy and should such removal be required, the university shall not be held liable by the student for damage to the bicycle or the device used to secure it.

financial aid refund Policy Under Title IV Federal Refund Formula, federal financial aid recipients may be eligible for a refund when they withdraw from their courses. When a student with federal aid withdraws from the university, the tuition and fees, room, and board charges may be claimed from the

GeneraL PoLiCies


student’s federal financial aid by the university and returned to the appropriate funding sources. In such cases, the student may also be required to repay all or a portion of any federal financial aid received. Should a student who received federal financial aid reduce their credit load, the tuition and fee refund could be claimed and returned to their financial account in the Bursar’s Office. If a student leaves a residence hall or a food plan that may result in a refund, the student’s financial aid award will be reviewed to determine eligibility for said refund. Once the university determines that a student owes a refund to the financial aid programs, the funds will be restored to the appropriate financial aid programs in the following sequence: Federal Parent Loan, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and then Pell Grant. If a refund balance still remains, the funding sources will be refunded in the following sequence: Connecticut State University Grant, Connecticut Aid to Public Schools Grant, and any general institutional grant or scholarships programs the student may receive. In accordance with Title IV regulations, when a student is put into repayment of a federal grant and/or student loan, s/he will be ineligible for any future federal financial aid.

financial aid statement of rights and responsibilities a. student rights regarding financial aid 1. The student has the right to know what financial aid programs are available at the university. 2. The student has the right to know the deadlines for submitting applications for each of the financial aid programs available. 3. The student has the right to know how their financial need was determined. This includes how costs of tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, etc., are considered in their budget. 4. The student has the right to know what resources (such as parental contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.) were considered in the calculation of their need. 5. The student has the right to know how much of their financial need as determined by the institution has been met. 6. The student has the right to know the university’s refund policy. 7. The student has the right to know what portion of the financial aid they received must be repaid and what portion is gift aid. If the aid is a loan, the student has the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount that must be repaid, the repayment procedures, the length of time the student has to repay the loan and when repayment is to begin. 8. The student has the right to know how the school determines whether they are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and what happens if they are not making SAP. B. student responsibilities regarding financial aid 1. The student must complete the FAFSA accurately and submit it to the federal processor prior to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) priority date. 2. The student must provide correct information to the federal processor. The student must 28

GeneraL PoLiCies

inform the Office of the Registrar of any change in name or address. In most instances, misreporting information on the federal application is a violation of law and may be considered a criminal offense, which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal code. 3. The student must return all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by either OFAS or the agency to which the student has submitted their application. 4. The student is responsible for reading and understanding all the forms that is asked to sign and for keeping copies of them. 5. The student must accept responsibility for all agreements that they sign. 6. The student must perform the work that is agreed upon in accepting a Federal Work Study award. 7. The student must be aware of and comply with the priority date for application for aid. 8. The student must be aware of the university’s refund procedures. 9. First-time borrowers must complete an entrance interview session required by federal regulation when requesting a Federal Student Loan. The entrance interview emphasizes the seriousness and importance of repayment obligations the borrower is assuming. 10. The student must attend an exit interview required by federal regulations for each Federal Family Education Loan they have received. The exit interview will emphasize the student’s rights and responsibilities as well as the consequences of defaulting on a student loan. It also covers repayment information and management of one’s educational debt.

financial obligations: See Bursar’s Office, Page 85 food and Beverages The consumption of food and beverages by members of the university community in classrooms, laboratories and in the public areas of Buley Library is not permitted.

indoor safety The university is committed to providing a safe learning and working environment. Ball playing and the use of skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, bicycles and other recreational items are prohibited inside all buildings. Individuals using wheelchairs or similar mechanical devices must be mindful of the speed at which they travel through hallways.

Parking and traffic regulations Providing adequate parking facilities and the proper supervision of campus traffic is a major problem on university campuses throughout the United States. This is especially true at institutions like Southern Connecticut State University, where a large part of the student body commutes daily. To protect students and visitors to the university from automobile accidents, as well as to provide security for motor vehicles parked on campus, the following rules and regulations

GeneraL PoLiCies


must be observed. Failure to comply may lead to the issuance of a university parking ticket and/or a State motor vehicle infraction, the towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense and when warranted, disciplinary action by the university. The university reserves the right to tow or impound any vehicle that is illegally parked or parked in a way that constitutes a serious hazard, impedes vehicle or pedestrian movements, or impairs the operation of emergency equipment and/or the making of repairs. Owners will be required to pay all costs involved in removing and impounding vehicles. In a spirit of cooperation with the New Haven and Hamden communities, students are asked not to park their vehicles on city streets in residential areas adjacent to the campus. Vehicle registration 1. all vehicles operated or parked on campus at any time must be properly registered by the department of motor Vehicles in the state in which the license plate is issued. All vehicles operated or parked on campus at any time must properly display a Southern parking decal. Vehicle owners and operators must register their vehicles at the University Police Department. Only one decal per person will be issued. 2. Persons seeking a decal must present, at the time of application, a current, valid student I.D. and operator’s license, and a current, valid vehicle registration. Students must also present their class schedule as proof of their registration. 3. Any false or incorrect information given at the time of registration will automatically render the decal void. 4. The registration for student vehicles is complete only after the decal is permanently affixed inside the driver’s side of the front windshield. 5. A parking decal is no guarantee of a parking space. Each vehicle operator is responsible for finding a legal parking space. Lack of space is not a valid excuse for violating any parking regulation. 6. Decals must be removed from vehicles that are being sold or no longer used on the campus. Outdated parking decals should be removed when a new decal is issued. A remover tool is available at the University Police Department. Any transfer, exchange, sale, misuse, or reproduction of a decal is unauthorized. All violators will have their decals removed and their vehicles towed at their own expense. 7. A special parking permit for faculty, staff and students who have temporary disabilities is available from the University Police Department. The applicant must first provide a written verification of disability status to the university physician in the Student Health Center, who will determine the extent of the disability and the expected period of disability. 8. If you drive a vehicle without a decal you must obtain a day pass at University Police before attempting to enter a restricted area. traffic and Parking regulations 1. Residence hall and commuter students must park their vehicles only in designated lots. All student-parking areas are designated for specific groups indicated below. Only vehicles with appropriate decals are permitted in these areas. eligible residence Hall students: Effective with the 2009-2010 academic year, first-time residential students will not be permitted to park a motorized vehicle on campus. 30

GeneraL PoLiCies

a. Residence Hall Students: Lots #3 , #4, #4A, #4B, and a portion of lot #6, designated spaces contained within the dogleg of lot #9, and the resident garage. Lots #10 and #11 are available to Schwartz Hall residents. North Campus parking is located at 180 Pinerock Avenue and can accommodate vehicles with North Campus decals on a first-come first-served basis. All resident overflow parking is allowed in the resident parking garage. All parking decals are issued on a first-come first-serve basis. All visitors must have a visitor or overnight parking pass. All visitors with an overnight parking pass must park in the dogleg area of Lot #9. b. Commuter Students: Lots #7, #8 and #9 and Eli Whitney (Fairview Avenue) and the second, third and fourth floors of the garage are available to commuters. The University Police Department issues decals to all commuting students. Decals must be affixed to the windshield on the driver’s side. The first floor of the parking garage located on Lot #1 will be reserved for faculty, staff and handicapped parking. No vans will be permitted above the first level. The remaining upper levels will be accessible to all students on a first-come basis. 2. No students will be allowed to park in faculty/staff areas. 3. Faculty, staff and special decal holders must park their vehicles in Lots #1, #2, the faculty/staff lot (EN), #5 or #12. 4. Graduate students may park in Lots #2, #5 or #12 between 4:30 pm and 11:00 pm. They are also permitted to park in the main faculty/staff lot (EN) between 6:00 pm and 11:00 pm. Graduate students may park in the upper levels of the parking garage. Graduate students are prohibited from using parking facilities behind Davis Hall. 5. A speed limit of 10 miles per hour will be enforced on all campus roadways and parking lots. 6. Pedestrians must use crosswalks at all times. a. Vehicles must yield to pedestrians in all crosswalks. 7. Approved areas for picking up or discharging passengers are inside Lot #2 on Fitch Street and the roadway and turnaround area leading to Engleman Hall off Crescent Street. Drivers must remain with their vehicles. 8. Drivers who need to pick up or deliver heavy educational materials at Earl Hall may park at the rear of the building for a maximum of 15 minutes. 9. Motorcycles must be parked in parking areas designated “Motorcycle Parking.� 10. Students are responsible for informing their guests of university parking regulations. 11. The university reserves the right to close temporarily a parking area for repairs or for special events. 12. No vehicles are to be parked on the campus between the hours of 11:00 pm and 7:00 am unless prior arrangements are made with the University Police Department. Faculty, staff and non-residence hall students who wish to leave their vehicles on campus overnight while they attend a conference or participate in a university-sponsored trip must park their vehicles in the first two rows closest to Fitch Street in Lot #2 and also give their license plate number to campus police. 13. Neither the university nor any of its employees assumes responsibility or liability for loss from theft or damage to cars parked in university parking lots. 14. Vehicles violating the following regulations will be issued a university parking ticket

GeneraL PoLiCies


and/or a State motor vehicle infraction and towed at the owners’ expense: • Parking in a designated handicapped parking space without displaying a valid Department of Motor Vehicle (Handicapped) permit • Parking within 10 feet of a hydrant • Disobeying a University Police Officer’s instructions • Connecticut Motor Vehicle Laws Fines are as follows for parking in: • Faculty/Staff space: $25.00 • Reserved space: $25.00 • Restricted space: $25.00 • Grassed Areas: $25.00 • Fire Lane: $50.00 • Handicapped space: $100.00 • Driveway: $25.00 • Sidewalk: $25.00 • Failure to Display Current Decal: $15.00 • Impeding Maintenance Operations: $25.00 • Outside of Stall Lines: $25.00 • Snow Ban: $25.00 15. The upper-level of Lot #12 adjacent to Seabury Hall is reserved for parking for people with disabilities only. enforcement 1. Southern Police will monitor the parking areas and enforce the above regulations. University fines for traffic and parking violations are $25 and fines for parking in fire lanes $50 and in areas designated by the state of Connecticut for people with disabilities are $100 for each infraction. Failure to display current decal is $15. 2. Fines must be paid at the Bursar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building within 14 days of the date the ticket was issued. Checks must be made payable to Southern Connecticut State University. Failure to make payment within the required time will result in the doubling of the fine. Also, a hold will be placed on a student’s record who fails to pay the amount owed. 3. A portion of the fines collected for the violation of campus parking and traffic regulations are placed in a scholarship fund to assist students at the university and for traffic enforcement supplies and equipment. traffic and Parking appeals Committee The Traffic and Parking Appeals Committee hears appeals of penalties assessed for parking or traffic violations. Anyone may appeal a university parking ticket within 14 calendar days of the date of issuance by completing an appeals form available in the University Police Department. Filing the appeals form will suspend the penalty until disposition of the appeal is made by the committee. Following its decision, the committee will notify both the appellant and the University Police Department in writing of its decision.


GeneraL PoLiCies

Pets on Campus For reasons of health, sanitation and pest control, no companion animals or other animals are permitted on campus. The only exception to this policy will be seeing-eye dogs, dogs for the hearing impaired and fish in a medium sized tank. Residential students should refer to the Pet Policy under Residential Student Rights and Responsibilities at departments/reslife/rightsresponsibilities.php.

Pluralism Policy statement Southern Connecticut State University recently adopted a policy statement on pluralism that forbids acts of violence or harassment reflecting bias or intolerance based on an individual’s race, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origin. The university has also adopted procedures for investigating complaints of acts of intolerance brought by students and staff. Southern Connecticut State University endorses the Connecticut State University Policy regarding Racism and Acts of Intolerance. That Policy is as following: The Connecticut State University declares: Institutions within the Connecticut State University have a duty to foster tolerance; The promotion of racial, religious creed and ethnic pluralism within the university is the responsibility of all individuals within the university community: Every person within the university community should be treated with dignity and assured security and equality; Individuals may not exercise personal freedom in ways that invade or violate the rights of others; Acts of violence and harassment reflecting bias or intolerance of race, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origins are unacceptable: and The university shall take appropriate corrective action if such acts of violence or harassment occur. Anyone who has a complaint alleging an act of violence or harassment based on race, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origin should contact the Office of Diversity and Equity Programs, Schwartz Hall, (203) 392-5491. A complaint against a university employee alleging a violation of this policy should be filed in either the Office of Diversity and Equity in Schwartz Hall or the University Police Department, Granoff Hall. Any complaint filed against a university employee must be filed within 60 days of the alleged violation.

Posting Policy The purpose of this policy is to set forth university guidelines for the general posting of announcements and publicity materials. Publicizing organizations’ events and programs is a necessary part of ensuring their success. It is expected that all such materials meet the

GeneraL PoLiCies


accepted standards of free speech, adhere to the university policy on pluralism and not be libelous, obscene (as defined under Connecticut General Statute 53a-193), or incite imminent lawless action. Commercial advertising by private business is permitted only on designated bulletin boards in the University Student Center and on the general purpose kiosks located around campus. Such advertising is also allowed in the student newspaper and on the broadcasts of the campus radio station. Posting areas are defined below. Please note: Material may not be attached to windows, doors, walls, sidewalks, trees, bus shelters, mirrors, light fixtures, building exteriors, stairwells, trash receptacles, doorknobs, automobiles, furniture or to any other structure or part of the university campus. Bulletin Boards and showcases Certain bulletin boards and showcases are maintained by academic or administrative units and are so designated. Unauthorized material will be removed. Certain student and university organization bulletin boards and showcases are maintained by those organizations and are so designated. Use of these areas is limited to recognized student and university organizations and material must indicate the sponsoring organization. Unauthorized material will be removed. Recognized clubs and organizations may leave copies of a desired flyer in the Office of Student Life where student workers can assist in posting throughout campus. General Purpose Kiosks Outdoor informational kiosks are available for general posting. As with the general public, recognized student and university organizations may use the outdoor kiosks to advertise their events and activities. table tents Table tents may be placed on tables in food service areas. Contact the Director of Housing and Residence Life for use of Connecticut Hall tables or the Director of the Adanti Student Center for use of the Student Center tables. residence Life To post in Residence Life areas, drop off material in the Department of Housing and Residence Life, Schwartz Hall 100. Members of the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff will hang materials.

religious services Policy The Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State University has authorized the university President to permit the holding of religious services on campus provided they are voluntarily requested and sponsored by student organizations recognized by the university, are extracurricular, are voluntary as to attendance and to time and mode of worship, are scheduled in accordance with available space and are in conformance with institutional rules and regulations applicable to all student organizations and activities.


GeneraL PoLiCies

residence status Any student classified as an out-of-state resident who feels that they qualifiy as a bona fide resident of Connecticut may request a change of classification. However, the student should be aware that the law is very clear in stating the following: • The domicile of any unemancipated person is that of their parent; • The establishment of a new domicile in the state by an emancipated person has not occurred until they have resided in this state for a period of not less than a year; • No emancipated person shall be deemed to have gained residence while attending college in this state as a full-time student in the absence of a clear demonstration that they have established domicile in the state (domicile: denotes a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where they intend to remain and to which they expect to return when they leave without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere); • The domicile of any emancipated person receiving regular financial assistance from their parent, or whose parents’ income was taken into account by any private or governmental agency furnishing financial educational assistance to such person, including scholarships, loans, or otherwise, is that of their parent; • The spouse of any person who is classified as an in-state student shall likewise be entitled to classification as an in-state student; • Foreign students in temporary United States government status (visa-holders) cannot establish permanent domicile in Connecticut. In consequence of these provisions of the law, before reclassification can take place, the registrar will require the following: • A notarized statement from the student’s parent stating that the student has attained the age of 18 and that the parent has “entirely surrendered the right to care, custody, and earnings of such person and is no longer under an legal obligation to support or maintain such student.” In the absence of any of these, the student shall be considered “unemancipated.” • Clear demonstration of the establishment of a permanent domicile in this state. A one-year lease on an apartment is acceptable; a school year (September to May) lease or what is clearly “off campus housing” is not. • Verification by the Financial Aid Office that no form of financial aid or loan is dependent either on the income of the parent or on out of state residence. Students who feel that they can meet these criteria are welcome to apply for change of classi-

GeneraL PoLiCies


fication. The CSU System Residency Reclassification Affidavit is available in the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building.

satisfactory academic Progress to maintain financial aid eligibility The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy to maintain financial aid eligibility for Title IV and other Student Aid programs and Southern Connecticut State University. This policy affects student eligibility for financial aid through any/all of the following Federal and State financial aid programs: 1. Federal Pell Grants (PELL) 2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) 3. Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) 4. Federal Perkins Loan (PERK) 5. Federal Stafford Loan Program, both subsidized and unsubsidized, (FELP) 6. Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, both subsidized and unsubsidized (FDSL) (FDUL) 7. Federal Parent Loan Program (PLUS) 8. Connecticut State University Grant (CSUG) 9. Connecticut Assistance for Public Colleges Grants (CAPS) to be eligible to receive from the university any of the financial aid listed above, a student must meet the following criteria: 1. be matriculated; 2. be enrolled currently; and 3. meet the terms of this Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. satisfactory academic Progress “Satisfactory Academic Progress” is a measurement of the student’s successful progress in their studies, based on their degree level (undergraduate/graduate) and status (part-time/full-time). Satisfactory progress is evaluated once a calendar year, using standards that are both qualitative (academic performance as measured by grade point average) and quantitative (total number of academic credits earned within specified time periods). academic Performance as measured by Grade Point average (Qualitative standard) To meet this standard, a student must maintain the level of academic performance required at the university as a matriculated student. The minimum required level of academic performance varies by degree level and number of credits attempted, as follows: undergraduate • Has attempted 30– 44 credits with a Grade Point Average of at least 1.5 • Has attempted 45–59 credits with a Grade Point Average of at least 1.8 • Has attempted 60 or more credits with a Grade Point Average of at least 2.0 Graduate • Has attempted 9 or more credits with a Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 Undergraduate and Graduate students who are placed on academic probation continue to


GeneraL PoLiCies

be eligible to receive financial aid under this policy, assuming the they meet the Quantitative Standard outlined below. total Credits earned and time Limits for degree/Certificate Completion (Quantitative standard) The university has determined what level of performance/grades count toward the required credits earned as follows: All courses in which a grade of A through D or a CR grade (when the course has been recommended by the adviser) have been assigned will count toward the required quantitative standard. Failed courses (F), audited courses (Z), courses that the student never attended (N), courses for which no grade is reported by the instructor (R), courses from which the student withdrew (W, WP, WF), courses that are Incompletes (I) and courses transferred from another institution prior to the student’s attendance at Southern will NOT count toward the total credits earned and the achievement of this qualitative standard. Any student who receives an “I” in any course must notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships when the “I” is changed into a letter grade in order for credits earned in that course to be counted toward the quantitative standard of performance. Total credits earned and time limits required to meet this standard vary by degree level and part-time/full-time status as follows: Undergraduate Students 1. For full-time students, satisfactory progress is defined as the successful completion of a minimum of 21 semester hours of academic work per academic year for students who enroll in the fall and spring or summer and 12 semester hours of academic work for those initially enrolling in the spring or enrolling only for the fall or summer term. An academic year runs from the beginning of the fall term to the end of the following summer. Full-time students making satisfactory academic progress with a Grade Point Average of 2.0, may receive financial aid for up to 12 semesters (six years) of full-time attendance or until the student is certified for graduation by the university, whichever comes first. 2. For part-time students, satisfactory progress is defined as the successful completion of a minimum of 12 semester hours of academic work per academic year for students who enroll in the fall and spring or summer and 6 semester hours for those initially enrolling in the spring or enrolling only for the fall or summer term. An academic year runs from the beginning of the fall term to the end of the following summer. Part-time students making satisfactory academic progress may receive financial aid for up to 24 semesters (12 years) of part-time attendance or until the student is certified for graduation by the university, whichever comes first. Note: Students pursuing a second Bachelor’s Degree will have only four additional full-time semesters to complete their second Bachelor’s Degree. If the student received no financial aid for the first degree and the student becomes eligible for financial aid by the beginning of the second degree program, they will be eligible for a maximum of 12 semesters. A change of major will not affect the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. Graduate Students 1. For full-time students, satisfactory academic progress is defined as the successful completion of

GeneraL PoLiCies


a minimum of 18 semester hours of academic work toward completion of a graduate degree or planned program per academic year for students who enroll in the fall and spring or summer and 9 semester hours for students initially enrolling in the spring or enrolling only for the fall or summer term. Students may receive financial aid for up to 14 semesters (seven years) of full-time attendance or until the student is certified for program completion by the university, whichever comes first. 2. For part-time students, satisfactory academic progress is defined as the successful completion of a minimum of 12 semester hours of academic work toward completion of a graduate degree or a planned program per academic year for students who enroll in the fall and spring or summer and 6 semester hours for students initially enrolling in the spring or enrolling only for the fall or summer term. Students may receive financial aid assistance for up to 28 semesters (14 years) of part-time attendance or until the student is certified for program completion by the university, whichever comes first. students Who fail to meet either the Qualitative or Quantitative standards Students who fail to attain the qualitative and/or quantitative standards outlined above may do one of the following: 1. Enroll in summer session to complete the necessary credits or improve their Grade Point Average. A student whose performance in summer session meets the standard that would have been required for satisfactory academic progress at the end of the spring semester when eligibility was lost, shall be again eligible to apply for financial assistance for the immediately following academic year. 2. Consider "repeating" a failed course. Many students repeat courses that they previously passed with low or average grades in order to raise their cumulative grade point average (GPA). However, students must be aware that repeating a course in which credit has been earned (a grade of "D-" or higher received), will only earn credit for meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress quantitative standard in accordance with the university’s policy on course re-takes. (See the University Catalog for further detail on course re-takes.) Students electing to re-take a course should consult with their academic advisers and the Registrar’s Office prior to registration. 3. File an appeal requesting reconsideration of the loss of financial aid eligibility, as outlined below. appeal Process The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships determines the eligibility for financial aid once a year, after the submission of spring semester grades. Undergraduate and graduate students who do not meet the minimum requirement for continuance of federal aid according to this policy will be notified by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships during the month of June. Students have the right to appeal this determination by the Office of Financial Aid and 38

GeneraL PoLiCies

Scholarships to the Dean of Student Affairs. Students should obtain an Application for Satisfactory Academic Progress Waiver either on line at files/2006-2007SAPAppealForm1.pdf, or from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. The completed form, together with documentation/evidence of medical emergencies or other legitimate personal or family circumstances that prevented the student from meeting the required SAP standards must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs, EN A 106. The Dean will review each appeal for consideration of financial aid probation (continuance on financial aid with academic conditions). The Dean of Student Affairs will make the following decisions on each appeal in a timely fashion: 1. The student’s appeal may be denied, thus making him/her ineligible for any Title IV funding and most other student financial assistance for the next academic semester. In this case, the student must regain their eligibility without financial aid before consideration of a second appeal; or 2. The student’s appeal may, given justification, be accepted, and the Dean of Student Affairs may place the student on financial aid probation. This will allow the student to receive financial aid on conditions stipulated by the Dean at the time of the decision. IMPORTANT: Generally, only one financial aid probation as described above can be granted to a student during their academic career at Southern Connecticut State University; or 3. The student’s appeal may be fully accepted and financial aid eligibility fully reinstated, usually made as a result of an administrative or recording error on the student’s academic record.

search and seizure Policy Southern Connecticut State University, as a state institution of higher education, recognizes a need for balance between its right to maintain an orderly educational environment and its students’ constitutional right to privacy. The Search and Seizure Policy is designed to reflect the principle of due process and fairness found in the Constitution of the United States and criminal law; it complements the university’s health and safety searches provided for in the Guide to On-Campus Housing, and it reflects the university’s concern for protection of the rights of all members of the academic community. The following procedure will be followed: A. All residence hall room searches, except those conducted by law enforcement officers, must be authorized by the President. If such a search is deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Affairs, they will request authorization from the President. This written request must specify the applicant(s) requesting the search, date, the reason for the search; the material to be seized; the room(s) to be searched; the name(s) of the occupant(s) and the names of the person(s) other than the occupant(s) of the room who will be present during the search. B. A room may be searched only if there is probable cause to believe that a student is using their room in violation of federal, state or local laws or university regulations. Probable cause is defined as facts and/or circumstances sufficiently strong to warrant a prudent person to believe beyond mere suspicion that the room is being used for such a purpose. C. If the President thinks such probable cause exists, they will authorize in writing an

GeneraL PoLiCies


administrative search warrant specifying the room(s) to be searched, its occupant(s), and the material to be seized and those authorized to conduct the search. D. In conducting a search, every reasonable effort shall be made to have the occupant(s) of the room present. If present, the occupant(s) shall be: 1. given the reason for the search and the material to be seized; 2. presented a copy of the administrative search warrant; and 3. informed that any material found may be used both in a university judicial hearing and in a court of law. If the occupant(s) is not present, the search may be conducted and the occupant(s) shall be notified of the search and the outcome. E. All room searches will be conducted by a professional member of the Student Affairs staff who will serve as a witness of the procedures followed and will make a record of the items located and confiscated during the search. F. The search will be conducted, when possible, in the presence of: 1. the Residence Hall Director; 2. the Inter-Residence Council President or, in their absence, any officer of the executive board; 3. the Resident Adviser of the floor, if available, or any other Resident Adviser of the hall. G. Should the search for specified material uncover other material indicating illegal activity or violation of university regulations, it also will be seized. All illegal items obtained during the search will be turned over immediately to the University Police. H. Search and seizure for purposes related to suspected violation of civil or criminal law of the state may be deferred to the University Police or to the civil authorities. Such authorities have the right to search the premises and possessions of any student by following the ordinary procedures and requirements for lawful search. Any information discovered through such a search may be used as evidence in any civil or criminal proceedings and by university officials when violations of the Student Code of Conduct occur.

smoking Policy Pursuant to Connecticut General Statute 31-40q(d), and to promote a healthy working and education environment , Southern Connecticut State University smoking policy prohibits smoking within 25 feet of all University building entrances, exits and open windows. Additionally, smoking near residential halls will be limited to designated smoking outbuildings only. This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff, contractors and visitors on University grounds.

student Center regulations Willful or careless damage to the Michael J. Adanti Student Center property or equipment shall necessitate replacement by the responsible group or individual. Furniture and equipment are not to be removed from the building or from room to room without prior approval in writing from the Student Center Office. Lounge furniture is not to be removed, rearranged or defaced. Meetings held in the center are to adjourn at least 15 minutes before the scheduled


GeneraL PoLiCies

building closing time, unless approval for extended hours has been secured in advance from the Director of the Student Center. Health and sanitation Everyone must wear shoes in the student center. No animals are permitted in the student center. student dress Students are expected to dress in good taste and in appropriate attire for classroom and campus activities. Bare feet are not acceptable in academic or food service buildings on campus.

student Petitions and referendums a. Petition Procedures 1. Any student or recognized student organization wishing to petition must file a written request with the Office of Student Life, ASC 212. 2. Each petition must have the desired referendum question printed in full at the top of each signature page. 3. The referendum question and the petition form must clearly indicate which portion of the student population would be affected by the referendum question. 4. Petition forms must be dated when received. Those sponsoring a petition for a referendum will have 10 consecutive class days to obtain sufficient signatures defined as 15 percent of the population that would be affected by the referendum. Example: If a referendum would affect full-time undergraduates and there are 7,000 full-time undergraduates, the petition for a referendum would have to consist of the signatures of 1,050 full-time undergraduates. 5. Petition sponsors will be granted tables in the University Student Center, the Engleman Hall Rotunda and the Connecticut Hall Lobby during class hours for the 10 consecutive class days authorized for the petitions. Approval for additional locations may be requested from the Dean of Student Affairs. The Dean must approve at least one additional location and may approve two or more additional locations, as they deem appropriate. Petition activities are limited to sponsors seated at tables in these locations. Posters, fliers, radio and newspaper advertising on petition issues are permitted. Opposing viewpoints may be permitted utilizing the same methods. 6. Petition activities (at appointed tables) must be carried out by members of the sponsoring organization who are also members of the Southern student population. 7. All petition forms must be submitted to the Office of Student Life by 4:30 pm on the tenth day of the allotted petition time. 8. Signatures and student identification numbers on petitions will be verified by the Office of Student Life and/or the Student Government Association, who shall certify the signatures as valid. Certification must occur within two weeks of the presentation of signatures. 9. If the sponsoring organization has submitted petitions with 15 percent or more of the verified signatures of the target population, the Student Government Association with assistance from the Office of Student Life shall conduct a referendum under the established referendum procedures.

GeneraL PoLiCies


B. referendum Procedures 1. The referendum vote must occur within one month of the date of certification. 2. Notification concerning the referendum must be disseminated through student media and print prior to student balloting. The exact wording of the referendum question shall be provided, together with a list of the dates, times, locations and conditions of balloting. 3. Students shall submit their ballots electronically. Using a secure on-line voting system, students shall use their university email identification to access the voting system through Southern Connecticut State University’s website. The system will be designed to ensure that all students submitting a ballot are eligible to vote. 4. The ballot shall consist of the referendum statement and a space for their vote to be recorded. 5. The Office of Information Technology staff will be the only individuals allowed to access the voting system during the voting process. They will assist the Office of Student Life to ensure that the process isn’t compromised. Lobbying activities shall not be permitted within 100 feet of any Southern Connecticut State University computer lab which, for the purpose of a referendum, shall be considered official balloting locations. 6. The results of the referendum shall be presented to the President of the university. 7. Once a referendum question has been submitted for balloting, it may not be resubmitted until a 12-month period has elapsed.

student records Southern recognizes the responsibility to maintain student records for only those purposes that are essential toward fulfilling its educational aims. Such records are necessary if both faculty and administrative staff are to understand better the individual student and assist him/her in achieving their educational, vocational, and life goals. The university further acknowledges that the development of each student’s full potential is better served when confidential information about the student is not made available to persons other than those who have a legitimate responsibility for the student’s personal welfare. In accordance with these principles and with state and federal laws, the policy of Southern Connecticut State University with respect to student records is set forth in the following paragraphs: i. definition of student records A. Student — As used in this policy, a “student” hereafter refers to any person who is enrolled or was formerly enrolled at Southern Connecticut State University. It does not, however, include a person who has applied for admission to the university but has not been accepted. B. Student Records — The term “student records” means those educational records, files, documents, and other materials maintained by the university in any medium that contains information directly related to a student. The term does not include records made by faculty and administrators for their own use and are not accessible to others. ii. types of student records maintained A. Admissions Records 1. Records compiled and evaluated by the Admissions Office include the following: student’s application, test scores, high school transcript(s), college transcript(s) and, in 42

GeneraL PoLiCies

some instances, although they are not requested, letters of recommendation. The admission records of students accepted to the university are transferred to the Registrar’s Office upon enrollment. B. Academic Records 1. The Registrar’s Office compiles and maintains the official academic record of each student. A record containing dates of attendance, courses completed, grades earned, and the date of withdrawal or graduation from the university is kept on every student currently enrolled or formerly enrolled at the university. For those students who have matriculated (i.e. been accepted into a degree program), a permanent folder is maintained. This folder contains the admissions application, test scores, letters of recommendation for admission, official communications, course withdrawal forms and student teaching evaluations and, where applicable, forms for Social Security benefits. 2. The academic record of a student is retained indefinitely; however, at the time of graduation, the permanent folder is kept intact for five years. 3. Transcripts are released to persons and agencies outside of the university only at the written request of the student or upon court order. 4. If a student has any outstanding obligations to the university, a notice is placed on the student’s academic record until the obligation is met. In such cases, the student will not be eligible to register or receive a transcript. C. Disciplinary Records All disciplinary action is recorded and maintained in a confidential file in the Office of Judicial Affairs and remains there for seven years. The records reflect the nature of the charge, the penalty assessed, and any other pertinent information. *Note: If disciplinary action resulted in suspension or expulsion, the file will be retained indefinitely. D. Financial Records Current student financial aid applications, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms, and all other supporting documentation are processed in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS). The financial aid records of students who are recipients of aid are retained by OFAS per State of Connecticut record retention requirements for five years from the end of the period for which the financial aid was awarded. Once the five-year term expires, files are shredded annually per university approval and oversight. E. Health Records Health records for all full-time students and part-time students living on-campus are maintained in the Student Health Services. These records include a pre-entrance physical examination by the student’s private physician relating to the student’s health, notes on the follow-up visits to the health center, and the results of laboratory tests. A copy of the medical record is released upon the written request of a student. When a student withdraws or graduates from the university, the medical record is stored in an inactive file. If there are records other than the pre-entrance physical examination form, they are maintained in the Health Center for seven years. F. Counseling Records In accordance with the State of Connecticut Public Health Law, Southern’s Counseling

GeneraL PoLiCies


Center maintains records with regard to the following state statute: Department of Public Health - Public Health Code 19a-4-40 Medical records, definition, purpose. 19a-14-42. Retention Schedule: Unless specified otherwise herein, all parts of a medical record shall be retained for a period of seven years from the last date of treatment, or, upon the death of the patient, for three years. Accordingly, Southern’s counseling center shall: 1. Maintain a full record for seven years after the last user contact or the completion of services, whichever is later. 2. See that all records shall be shredded after seven years. G. Residence Hall Records Various kinds of information are maintained by Residence Life. These records include the following: Housing records: The original housing record is kept in a secure database. Copies of housing records are maintained in the hall office in which the student resides. When the student leaves university housing, the copy of the housing record is destroyed. Previous years housing records and copies of the database are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secured location for a period of 10 years. student incident records (non judicial): Pertinent original student incident records are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secure location. Copies of student incident records are maintained in the hall office in which the student resides. When the student leaves University housing the copy of the student incident record is destroyed. Previous year’s incident records are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secured location for a period of seven years. student incident records (judicial): Disciplinary records are maintained in a secured database. Incidents originating in university housing are forwarded to the Office of Judicial Affairs. A copy of the disciplinary record may be kept in a secured location in the hall in which the student resides. The copy of the disciplinary record maintained by the Residence Life office is destroyed when the student leaves housing. student employment and Candidate records: Original student employment and candidate information is maintained in the Office of Residence Life. Copies of a student’s employment record are maintained by the supervisor while the student is employed. Copies of student employment records are destroyed at the end of the student’s employment. Database and paper employment and candidate records are maintained in a secured location for a period of three years after application or end of employment. H. Computer Center Records The university maintains an electronic record on each student enrolled at the university. This record contains personal data, academic information, billing and fee payment, demographic information, and biographical information. The records are stored in the Student Information System and are accessible to students via the Internet. Except for billing and fee payment information, each student is recommended to review this record periodically and at the time of registration. Various reports for statistical purposes are generated from the computer files. In all reports, the confidentiality of the individual stu-


GeneraL PoLiCies

dent record is paramount. In the interest of statistical studies, historical data are maintained indefinitely under strict security. iii. General Policies A. No record shall be made or retained unless there is a demonstrable need in relation to the basic educational aim of Southern Connecticut State University. B. All policies and practices dealing with acquiring, maintaining, or processing information about students shall be formulated with due regard to the student’s right to privacy. C. Evaluations and/or information contributed to student record systems at Southern Connecticut State University shall be prepared only by qualified professional staff or agencies. D. A student shall be permitted to include confidential letters, statements or recommendations in their records after submitting a statement waiving right of access. E. Persons within the university having a legitimate need for information concerning students as a result of their duties at the university shall be permitted access only to those records directly related to their duties and functions. F. With the exception of any financial information furnished by parents, a student shall have the right to inspect and review their records in the presence of a professional staff member of the university, who will assist in interpreting their contents. While the academic transcript of grades earned at Southern Connecticut State University may be viewed in the Registrar’s Office, a student interested in inspecting any other record to which they have access must contact the particular office where the record is maintained for an appointment with a professional staff member. All requests, which must be made through presentation of a university ID card, will be met as expeditiously as possible. G. If a student feels that information contained in their record is misleading, inaccurate, inappropriate, or in violation of their privacy or other rights, they shall be afforded an opportunity with the appropriate university official to challenge its content. (Note: A student may not challenge the accuracy of the recording of the grade.) If after hearing, it is determined that the information in the record is not inaccurate and thus will not be changed, then the university shall notify the student of their right to insert explanatory comments into the record. H. Personal information about a student obtained by members of the professional staff of the university in the discharge of their respective responsibilities will be treated in the confidential manner proscribed by professional ethics. I. The university will not record or retain records of a student’s religious or political beliefs or membership in any organizations other than honorary organizations without their knowledge or consent. J. Personally identifiable information other than that listed below will not be released to any person or agency outside the university for any purpose without the written consent of the student. 1. Name 2. Sex 3. Dates of attendance, including full or part time status

GeneraL PoLiCies


4. Major field of study 5. Date of graduation 6. Participation in officially recognized activities and intercollegiate sports 7. Members of athletic teams: ages, class status, weight, height, high school, and hometown 8. Honors, degrees, and awards received 9. Previous school most recently attended and a photograph A student, however, shall be allowed to request in writing that any or all of the above information not be released without their prior consent. Such request must be filed with the custodian of the record during the first two weeks of each academic semester. K. Access to or the release of a record or personally identifiable information without the student’s written consent shall be limited to the following: 1. Faculty and staff members at the university who can demonstrate a legitimate educational interest. 2. Other educational institutions in which the student intends to enroll. (Note: In all such cases, the student shall be notified of the transfer of information, receive a copy of the records, if desired, and have an opportunity to challenge the contents of the record.) 3. Government officials such as authorized representatives of the United States General Accounting Office, the Department of Education, and the Department of Health and Human Services. 4. In connection with the student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid. 5. State and local officials or authorities where required by state law. 6. Organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, educational agencies or the university for the purpose of developing, validating or administering predictive tests, administering student aid programs, and improving instruction, provided these studies are conducted in a manner that will not permit the personal identification of students by persons other than representatives of such organizations. Such information must be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose for which it is obtained. 7. Accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions. 8. Parents of a student who is dependent upon such information for federal income tax purposes. 9. In compliance with judicial order or pursuant to any lawfully issued subpoena, provided the university makes reasonable effort to notify the student of the order or subpoena in advance of its compliance. 10. To appropriate persons in connection with an emergency, if the knowledge of certain information is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or the other persons or property. L. With the exception of its own authorized personnel, the university shall maintain records of all individuals and organizations that have either requested or obtained access to the student’s records. This record of access, which shall include a statement identifying specific records to be released, the reasons for such release, and to whom was given, shall remain permanently with a student’s record. Where the consent of a student 46

GeneraL PoLiCies

is required for the release of records, a copy of these records shall be provided to the student upon written request. M. The university shall not release personal information about a student except on the condition that the party to whom the information is being sent will not permit any other party access without the written consent of the student.

student software ownership and software developments It shall be the policy of the state system of higher education that the end product of any work done by a student from any of the state's public colleges or universities to convert, modify, or update state-owned software shall be owned by the state. If a student from any college or university receives monetary remuneration from the state for creating software, including source code and/or documentation, it shall belong to the state. Software belongs to the student but shall be licensed gratis to the state for use/or modification under the following conditions: (a) the state, at the inception of the project, informs the student in writing of the state's intention to use the software; and/or (b) the student uses state computer resources to create software. The state shall not have any other rights to such software. Any software developed by a student, unless it is 1.) covered under policy statements above or 2.) produced under the provisions of a grant or an agreement with an outside funding agent, is owned by the student.

student use of Computer systems and networks a. Policy statement University computer systems and networks are provided for student use as a part of the university academic program. Students are encouraged to become proficient in the use of computers as a means of enhancing their educational experience. However, widespread student use also necessitates certain rules of computer conduct. Computer misconduct can result in restrictions on or revocation of computer access privileges. University computer systems and networks constitute an expensive and valuable resource. The capacity of this resource to fulfill all the legitimate academic and administrative needs of students, faculty and staff is limited. Student users have a responsibility to use university computer resources in an efficient, ethical and lawful manner. The university has a right and a duty to protect its valuable computer resources and to restrict student access to uses that are strictly related to the students’ academic programs as well as reasonably limited in time. The university reserves the right to define what are unauthorized student uses. The Chief Computer Administrator or their designee(s) at each university in the Connecticut State University System and at the System Office may monitor student user accounts, files and/or login sessions for appropriate management purposes. Such purposes include, but are not limited to, performing archival and recovery procedures, evaluating system performance and ensuring system integrity and security. Upon identifying a violation of this policy that constitutes an immediate, clear danger to the university’s computer systems or networks, the Chief Computer Administrator or their

GeneraL PoLiCies


designee(s) at each university and in the System Office may immediately limit or suspend a student’s access to university computer resources with immediate notification of charges and actions to the appropriate Chief Student Affairs Administrator or their designee(s). This emergency suspension of computer use will then follow the student judicial procedures for “Interim Suspension,” as provided in the Student Code of Conduct. Violations of university computer policy that do not constitute an immediate, clear danger to the university computer systems or networks will be referred to the regular student disciplinary process. B. student offenses The following offenses are included in the Student Code of Conduct found in the Connecticut State University Student Rights and Responsibilities and Judicial Procedures Document: The unauthorized use of university computers and/or peripheral systems and networks; unauthorized access to university computer programs or files; unauthorized alteration or duplication of university computer programs or files; any deliberate action to disrupt the operation of university computer systems that serve other members of the university community, including all networks to which university computers are connected; use of university computer systems and networks for committing crimes, violating civil laws or violating university rules. The following are uses of university computer systems and networks that are not authorized. This list includes but is not limited to the following: 1. Computer games that are not assigned course work. 2. Development or transmitting of chain letters. 3. Sharing one’s own computer account with others or using another person’s accounts. 4. The entering or transmitting of obscene material. 5. The entering or transmitting of commercial advertisements or solicitations. 6. The entering or transmitting of political campaign material relating to elections to be held outside the university. 7. Sexual harassment or other forms of harassment aimed at others or otherwise threatening others. 8. Violation of copyright laws or using copying software in ways that violate the terms of the license. 9. Entering or transmitting computer viruses or any form of intentionally destructive programs. 10. Intentional disruption of network services. 11. Connecting any device to the network without permission. 12. Copying, modifying, replacing or deleting any other user’s account or any software used for system management. 13. Harming university computer equipment. 14. Uses that violate rules developed at each university that are necessitated by facilities limitations or other circumstances unique to each university.


GeneraL PoLiCies

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY alcohol and drug Policies As a condition of receiving Federal funds, the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989 requires Southern Connecticut State University and other institutions of higher education throughout the country to adopt and implement a drug and alcohol prevention program. This notice is published pursuant to the requirement of the act. The university recognizes that the misuse of alcohol or the use of illegal drugs represents a serious threat to the physical and mental well-being of its students and the entire community. Our common goal is to foster a university community where the intellectual development of students is free from the harmful effects of alcohol and drugs. Each person has a responsibility to help safeguard the community health by respecting university policy and intervening in situations of abuse. Addressing the drug and alcohol problem in our society and community requires caring, cooperation and support of every member of the university community. family educational rights and Privacy act: Parental notification The university reserves the right as permitted by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 49

(FERPA) to notify parents/guardians if their son or daughter, under 21 years of age, has been determined to have violated the university’s Alcohol and Drug Policy. Program review The university will conduct a biennial review of these programs and policies to determine their effectiveness, make changes where necessary and ensure that sanctions and interventions are consistently enforced. The following is intended to provide clear guidelines for members of the university community: alcohol • Campus policy permits the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages at Southern Connecticut State University under controlled conditions at registered special events. • All students of the university shall observe the laws of the State of Connecticut concerning alcoholic beverages. • As adults, all students of the university are expected to take personal responsibility for their own conduct. • The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages shall be restricted to those persons who have reached the legal drinking age. The university reserves the right to request proper proof of age or identification from any person. Those attending a function must be members of the Southern Connecticut State University community or their escorted guests. • Students are expected to consider the rights of others and use mature and responsible judgment concerning the use of alcoholic beverages. • Alcoholic beverages may not be served at any time without the prior approval of the appropriate designated agent. • Student clubs and organizations are not permitted to sponsor an event, on or off campus, where alcoholic beverages are served or provided unless the event is registered and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. • University-recognized student organizations are prohibited from sponsoring “bring your own” events (on or off campus) at which individuals carry their own alcoholic beverages into the facility. An exception may be made for Parents Day/Homecoming, which is the major university-sponsored event involving alumni, parents and students. • The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in academic buildings, out-of-doors on any part of the campus and at any intercollegiate or intramural athletic activity unless the event is registered and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. • State law prohibits the unlicensed sale of alcoholic beverages on the campus. Therefore, no financial arrangements between the sponsor of an event and guests are permitted whenever alcohol is to be served, (i.e., no admission fees can be charged, donations accepted or tickets sold.) • Food and non-alcoholic beverages must be available at all times during an approved special event involving the consumption of alcoholic beverages. • Any person or organization violating state law or these regulations will be subject to disciplinary action by the university and/or referral to the appropriate civil authorities.


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

drugs • The possession, distribution and consumption of illicit drugs and the abuse of prescription and over-the-counter drugs and anabolic steroids are prohibited. • The university recognizes that drug problems are complex, and it will make every effort to assist students who have a problem. However, students must understand that, apart from the professional resources of the university, drug problems revealed or uncovered in the normal course of administrative operations will be treated as disciplinary matters in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct. • Students found guilty of violations of this policy shall be subject to university disciplinary action that may include suspension or expulsion. In addition to the penalties that may be imposed by campus authorities, criminal prosecution may also be initiated.

drug/alcohol education and Prevention Programs individual Counseling and referral Students can talk to a licensed professional about personal issues concerning their own use of alcohol or other drugs or that of a friend or loved one. All services are confidential and free of charge to registered students. Please contact the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center at (203) 392-5087 to set up an appointment. drug and alcohol resource Center (darC) The Drug and Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) staff provides free and confidential screening, evaluation and counseling to those concerned about their own substance use and those in violation of the university alcohol and drug policies. In addition, the DARC office serves as a storehouse of information on alcohol, tobacco and other drugs with pamphlets, books, journal articles and other materials available to students, faculty and staff. For more information, visit the office in Schwartz Hall or call (203) 392-5087. southern task force on Prevention (stoP) This is a committee made up of students, faculty, staff and members of the New Haven community who are committed to reducing high-risk drinking and other drug abuse. STOP develops and coordinates prevention, education, intervention and treatment services for the campus community. STOP also promotes healthy and safe lifestyles and encourages personal responsibility. STOP is always looking for student representatives to serve on the committee or volunteer for projects. Please call (203) 392-5087 if you are interested in getting involved. anti-drinking and driving There are a number of opportunities for students to get involved in anti-drinking and driving educational programs and prevention activities. Please call (203) 392-5087 for more information or to get involved. self-Help Groups Al-Anon, Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous groups meet weekly throughout the New Haven area. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is held on campus on Sunday evenings at 8 p.m. in Engleman Hall B121A and is open to all students and members of the

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


community. Al-Anon meeting are held on Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in Engleman Hall, room 208. Support groups are open to all students and members of the community. Schedules with meeting days, times and locations may be obtained by calling (203) 392-5087 or can be picked up at the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center. The Al-Anon in Action Group (AFG) meets Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in Engleman Hall room B210. Meetings are open to all students, their family members, and members of the community. For more information, please contact the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) at (203) 392-5087.

Health risks Although most students don’t engage in high-risk drinking (drinking to high blood alcohol levels, drinking to the point of blacking out, etc.) and illicit drug use, alcohol and drug abuse does have profound effects on the body. Such use may result in impaired judgment and coordination; physical and psychological dependence; damage to vital organs such as the heart, stomach, liver and brain; inability to learn and remember information; psychosis and severe anxiety; injury and death. (Thirty-eight to 50 percent of all fatal accidents involve alcohol.) sexuality Because judgment, reasoning, communication and perception are all affected by alcohol and other drugs, one’s substance choices may lead to such things as sexual exploitation, unwise choice of partners, unwanted pregnancies and the increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS. drinking and driving In Connecticut, a person is legally intoxicated when their blood alcohol content (BAC) reaches 0.08 percent. If you are arrested for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, your license will be suspended for 90 days. In Connecticut, 355 16- to 19-year olds were killed as motor vehicle occupants during a five-period. Drivers between 16 and 24 have twice as many fatal crashes per mile as older motorists. When alcohol is involved, younger drivers are much less likely to use seatbelts, and their fatal crash rate is almost three times greater than older drivers.

Legal sanctions The university campus is subject to State and Federal laws concerning use and possession of alcohol and drugs. Individuals must be aware of and abide by these laws or face legal prosecution. alcohol: Section 30- 89(a) of the Connecticut General Statutes states that it is unlawful for a minor (under the age of 21) to purchase or attempt to purchase or to make a false statement in connection with the attempted purchase of alcohol. The 1st offense is a $136.00 infraction and the 2nd & subsequent offenses result in fines ranging between $200.00 and $500.00. Section 30- 89(b) states that possession of alcohol by a minor on a street, highway or public place is illegal. The 1st offense is a $136.00 infraction and a 30-day suspension of an individual’s driv-


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

ing license. The 2nd and subsequent offenses result in fines ranging between $200.00 and $500.00 and may result in the suspension of an individual’s driver’s license. drugs: The Connecticut General Statutes cover a wide range of drug offenses, including the offer, the sale, the possession with intent to sell, the gift and the mere possession of various drugs. [21a CONN. GEN. STAT. Section 277, 278, 279 (1988)] Among other provisions, the state laws create the following mandatory minimum prison sentences for firsttime offenders who are not “drug-dependent” persons: • Five years for the manufacture or sale or possession with intent to sell of one ounce or more of heroin, methadone or cocaine or one-half gram or more of cocaine in a freebase form or five milligrams or more of LSD; • Five years for the manufacture or sale or possession with intent to sell of any narcotic, hallucinogenic or amphetamine-type substance or one kilogram or more of a cannabis-type substance, including marijuana; • Five years for the offer or gift of any of the above drugs in the respective amounts. Conviction for the possession of drugs carries no mandatory minimum sentence but the following maximum sentences do exist for first-time offenders: • Seven years or $50,000.00 or both for possession of any quantity of a narcotic, including cocaine and “crack,” morphine or heroin; • Five years or $2,000.00 or both for possession of any quantity of a hallucinogen (such as LSD or peyote) or four ounces or more of a cannabis-type substance (which includes marijuana); • One year or $1,000.00 or both for possession of less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance or any quantity of a controlled drug, such as amphetamines or barbiturates. Actual sentences depend on the severity and the circumstances of the offense and the character and background of the offender. Federal law also penalizes the manufacture, distribution, possession with intent to manufacture or distribute and simple possession of drugs (“controlled substances”) Controlled Substances Act 21 U.S.C. Section 841, 843[b], 844, 845, 846 (1988). The law sets the following sentences for first-time offenders: • A minimum of ten years and a maximum of life imprisonment or $4,000,000.00 or both for the knowing or intentional manufacture, sale or possession with intent to sell, of large

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


amounts of any narcotic, including heroin, morphine or cocaine (including “crack”) or of phencyclidine (PCP) or of LSD or of marijuana (1,000 kilograms or more); A minimum of five years and maximum of 40 years or $2,000,000.00 or both for similar actions involving smaller amounts of any narcotic, including heroin, morphine or cocaine (which includes “crack”) or phencyclidine (PCP) or of LSD or of marijuana (100 kilograms or more); A maximum of five years or $250,000.00 or both for similar actions involving smaller amounts of marijuana (less than 50 kilograms), hashish, hashish oil, PCP or LSD or any amounts of amphetamines, barbiturates and other controlled stimulants and depressives; Four years or $30,000.00 or both for using the mail, telephone, radio or any other public or private means of communication to commit acts that violate the laws against the manufacture, sale and possession of drugs; One year or $1,000.00 or both for possession of any controlled substance (the gift of a “small amount” of marijuana is subject to the penalties for simple possession).

Penalties may be doubled, however, when a person at least 18 years old [1] distributes a controlled substance to a person under 21 years of age and (a term of imprisonment for this offense shall not be less than one year) or [2] distributes, possesses with intent to distribute or manufactures a controlled substance in or on or within 1,000 feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary, vocational or secondary school or a public or private college. Any attempt or conspiracy to commit one of the above federal offenses, even if unsuccessful, is punishable by the same sentence proscribed for that offense. A first-time offender may receive only probation and later have the charge dismissed. Although in some cases the federal penalties seem somewhat lighter, it is not possible to “trade” a state charge for a federal one. State and Federal law thus make crimes of many different activities involving drugs. Simple possession, giving or merely offering drugs is illegal, as are such offenses as the manufacture or sale of drugs.

Weather-related Closing of the university On days when snow and ice are threatening, the best way to check if there will be a delayed opening, if classes will be canceled or if the university will be closed is to call the Southern


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

WeatherChek line at (203) 392-SNOW (7669). Announcements are posted on the university’s Web site – – as well as its Facebook page and Twitter account, SCSUtweet. Announcements are also distributed via text message, email or voice mail through the SCSUAlert emergency communication system. (To sign up for SCSUAlert, visit • Morning classes by 6 a.m. • Early Afternoon classes by 10 a.m. • Late Afternoon and Evening classes by 2 p.m. Please note: Although the university also uses radio stations and television to issue weather-closing announcements, there is sometimes a delay before these reports are aired.

Counseling services Counseling Services, located in Engleman Hall B 219, is a helpful resource for students who may need support while completing their educational requirements at Southern. Counselors are available to help you in a collaborative process that involves the development of a personalized, confidential, and supportive relationship. Among the most common concerns that students bring to the counseling center are low self-confidence, relationship issues, self-defeating behaviors, distressing emotional states (depression and anxiety), substance abuse problems, decision-making skills, and examining career and life plans. The counseling center extends its services to include outreach in classrooms and other campus sites to provide information, support, and direction for today’s student. The center also provides a variety of support groups, announced each semester. The staff consists of qualified, licensed mental health professionals and advanced graduate student interns trained in mental health. Additionally, an Advanced Practice Registered (APRN) with training as a psychiatric nurse practitioner is available for medication consultations. Counseling Services strives to practice brief individual therapy. The goal of brief individual therapy is to focus on current concerns to promote further individual growth and to help with relieving some of the emotional discomfort that comes with individual concerns. The university provides service to all eligible students. The center also offers services from local mental health professionals at all levels for students requiring longer-term care. We encourage you to visit our comprehensive Web site for more information about services at

emergency medical assistance Emergency medical assistance is initiated with a call to University Police at 911. The dispatcher will obtain a brief description of the emergency and send an officer to the scene. In case of a life-threatening situation (e.g. apparent heart attack, breathing difficulty, state of unconsciousness, etc.), the dispatcher will call simultaneously for an ambulance and arrange for an escort for the ambulance to the exact campus location. In all cases, Health Services will be notified of the action taken.

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


Walking escort service The University Police Department provides 24-hour walking escort service to accompany students, faculty, and staff to parking lots, residence halls, and other on-campus locations. Call (203) 392-5375 from any telephone or x25375 from telephones on campus. Also, shuttle service escorts are available until 3 a.m.

fire evacuation Procedures To ensure the safety and welfare of the university community, all persons must evacuate a building when the fire alarm sounds. When an emergency evacuation of a building is required, the following procedures must be followed: • All persons must evacuate the building to a safe distance, but not less than 100 feet. Those persons unable to vacate the building for any reason shall do the following: 1. Notify someone who is leaving the building or call University Police with their specific location. Anyone receiving this information shall ensure that it is passed to the University Police or responding New Haven Fire Department and/or Hamden Fire Department Units, to facilitate search and rescue, if required. 2. Protect themselves as well as possible. For example, they should close the door to the room they are located in, place a coat or similar material under the door to restrict the passage of smoke, seek refuge in stair towers (while not blocking the stairs) or seek refuge inside another room. • Persons noticing any dangerous conditions or problems during evacuation (i.e. persons unable to evacuate, fire or smoke) must report this information to responding emergency personnel or to the University Police Department by means of an office or interior emergency telephone. • Faculty, staff and students shall not re-enter the building until directed to do so by University Police or Fire Department personnel. The alarms may be silenced to facilitate communications with emergency personnel once the building is essentially evacuated. This is not the signal to re-enter. Police and Fire Department personnel will announce when it is safe to re-enter a building.

Health Center Granoff Student Health Center is located in Granoff Hall on Wintergreen Avenue. The Center is staffed by a physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurses and support personnel. The Center provides ambulatory healthcare to eligible students by appointment; urgent care is available on a walk-in basis. Full-time students, part-time students and full-time graduate students with a physical examination on file are eligible to be seen at the Health & Wellness Center. With two tertiary care hospitals in New Haven, referrals in emergency situations can be done expeditiously. Students desiring guidance in any health problem should feel free to consult the Health & Wellness Center staff. The Health & Wellness Center provides the following services (based on availability) for an additional fee:


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

• • • •

Tuberculin skin testing (PPD): $10.00 Urine Pregnancy testing: $5.00 Rapid Strep: $5.00 HIV/AIDS counseling and testing: free Rapid/$15.00 State • Measles antibody testing: $20.00 • Rubella antibody testing: $22.00 • Hepatitis B Vaccinations: $35.00 • Meningitis: $20.00 • MMR Vaccinations: $20.00 • Tetanus Vaccinations: $20.00 • Plan “B”: $25.00 • Gardasil (HPV) vaccinations: $20.00 for under or uninsured per dose. (3 vaccines needed) *Fees are subject to change without notice The Health Center telephone number is (203) 392-6300. If you are unable to reach a staff member at this number, please call University Police at (203) 392-5375 or call 911 in an emergency. Health immunization requirements All full-time undergraduate students and all part-time undergraduate students residing on campus are required to have properly completed health forms (questionnaire, immunization record and physical examination) on file at the Granoff Student Health & Wellness Center prior to registration. Connecticut State statutes require each full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate matriculated student born on or after January 1, 1957 to provide proof of adequate immunization against Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, German Measles (Rubella) and Chicken Pox (Varicella) prior to registration. The only exceptions are the following • Those born prior to January 1, 1957 (where applicable); • Those with a valid medical exemption signed by their healthcare provider; • Those who provide documented laboratory proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella; • Those who provide a statement that immunization is contrary to their religious beliefs; • Those who graduated from a Connecticut high school in 1999 or later (for Measles, Mumps, Rubella only); • Students enrolled in online courses only.

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


Adequate immunization: measles (rubeola): one injection at 12 months of age or older and on or after January 1, 1969, and a second injection after January 1, 1980. mumps: one injection after 12 months of age. German measles (rubella): one injection after 12 months of age. Chicken Pox (Varicella): one injection on or after 12 months of age and before that individual’s 13th birthday or two (2) injections of Varicella vaccine given at least four weeks apart if the first dose was given on or after the individual’s 13th birthday. additional requirement for on-Campus residence students Connecticut State statutes also require that all students living in campus housing are required to be vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis with the following exceptions: 1. Those with a valid medical exemption signed by their healthcare provider; 2. Those who provide a statement that immunization is contrary to their religious beliefs. Documentation must be submitted to the University Health Service prior to moving into campus residence facilities. The university reserves the right to deny registration and campus housing to any student not in compliance with the above health requirements. Questions may be directed to: University Health Services/Granoff Hall Southern Connecticut State University Phone: (203) 392-6300; Fax: (203) 392-6301 e-mail: Web site: Health assistance off Campus The health center Web site maintains a list of after-hours providers and various off-campus agencies that are accessible to students by referral. If any student has a question about a service that cannot be provided on campus, they are encouraged to contact a member of the health center staff. Health and accident insurance Accident insurance is part of the General Fee paid by all full-time students. Besides accident coverage, the university also requires a sickness insurance plan to cover surgical expenses and hospitalization costs. All full-time students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the sickness insurance plan unless they file a waiver at the Web site indicating equivalent coverage. Part-time matriculated students taking a minimum of six credits are also eligible to purchase the university policy and must do so to participate in campus clubs/organizations. Parental notification Guidelines Southern Connecticut State University adopted these parental notification guidelines for student misconduct in 2000. • Whereas excessive, abusive, illegal and/or repetitive use of alcohol and/or drugs is inconsistent with the educational mission of the university;


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

• Whereas unauthorized use and/or possession of alcohol or drugs generally represent violations of law for persons under the age of 21; • Whereas excessive, abusive, illegal and/or repetitive use or possession of alcohol and/or drugs threatens the well-being of persons and property and tends to diminish students’ prospects for personal and intellectual development and academic success; • Whereas student’s parents or guardians are respected for their roles as partners with the university in supporting the students’ personal and intellectual development and academic success; Under the supervision of the Vice President for Student and University Affairs, the Dean of Student Affairs or their designee has the authority to determine when and by what means to notify parents or guardians when students under the age of 21 are found to have committed serious or repeated violations of university policies related to the possession, use or distribution of alcohol or drugs. Notification of parents is indicated when the following conditions occur: 1. The violation involved harm or threat of harm to persons or property. 2. The violation involved an arrest in which the student was taken into custody. 3. The violation resulted in or could result in the student being suspended from the university and/or dismissed from the residence halls. 4. The student has shown a pattern of violations, even if the student is not a minor. Two or more violations associated with drug or alcohol use would be reasonable cause for notice. 5. The student who committed the violation became physically ill and/or required medical intervention as a result of consumption of alcohol or drugs. Furthermore, Nothing in these guidelines shall prevent university officials from notifying parents or guardians of health or safety emergencies, regardless of the judicial status of the student. Nothing in these guidelines should preclude the university from notifying parents or guardians when students under the age of 21 are involved in a group activity off campus in which the student’s organization is found to have violated university policy with respect to the use and/or consumption of alcohol or drugs. The Dean of Student Affairs may delegate the notification of parents to other officials under the Dean’s supervision. Whenever possible, students will be informed that parental notification will take place prior to their parents’ receiving notice. safety Procedures for students With severe medical/emotional Problems If, due to severe medical or emotional problems, a student: engages or threatens to engage in behavior that poses a danger of causing physical harm to self, others or property; then the following procedures will be implemented: 1. University Police are to be contacted immediately. Based upon information provided, the University Police will determine if an ambulance is needed. University Police will then contact the ambulance service and dispatch an officer to the scene. The officer will accompany the student to the hospital and remain there until a decision about the student has been

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


made. The University Police will take responsibility for notifying all appropriate university officials. 2. The Dean of Student Affairs or their designee shall notify the parent(s) of students, the spouse or other close relative. The Dean will inform the appropriate party that they must take custody of the student and will describe the procedure needed to gain re-entry into the university and/or university housing. 3. If the Dean of Student Affairs determines that the student poses a threat to him/herself, others or property, an interim administrative withdrawal will be imposed. A student subject to an interim withdrawal will be notified and will not be permitted to return to the university without a written evaluation by a psychiatrist. 4. Based on this written evaluation, the Dean will, in consultation with appropriate staff, determine whether the student may: a. return to the university and/or university housing; b. return to the university and/or university housing under certain prescribed conditions; c. be withdrawn from the university and/or university housing.

university Police telephone • Routine on campus: dial x25375. • Routine off campus: dial (203) 392-5375. • Emergency, on campus: dial 911. The University Police Department, open 24 hours a day, is located in Granoff Hall. Police officers are responsible for the safety and protection of the campus and its personnel, as well as for enforcing parking regulations and conducting investigations. Students should promptly report thefts or other incidents on campus directly to the University Police Department. The department provides lost and found services for the entire campus. All University Police officers are state certified. All officers are trained and have the same authority as members of a municipal police department. The department also has male and female officers trained to handle cases of sexual assault. Blue emergency lights are strategically located throughout the university parking lots and mounted on buildings. By pressing the button, you will automatically dial University Police. Silver wall-mounted telephones are strategically located inside buildings. Picking up the receiver connects you automatically to University Police. if the telephone is not a direct dial telephone, university Police can be contacted by dialing x25375.


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

The University Police Department offers many programs on crime prevention throughout the year. Students are invited to stop by the department or call (203) 392-5375 for more information.

sexual assault Sexual assault is a crime of violence motivated by the need for power and control. Sex is used as a weapon to humiliate and degrade the survivor. Sexual assault is sexual contact or penetration against a person’s will. It includes rape, attempted rape, same-sex assault, incest, and child sexual abuse. If you have been sexually assaulted, your first priority should be to get to a place of safety. It is also important to seek medical attention for injuries, tests for venereal diseases, AIDS, and pregnancy, and to gather medical evidence for legal purposes. Be sure not to bathe, shower, douche, or change clothes before going to the hospital. What to do if it happens on campus • Notify University Police immediately. Time is a critical factor in collecting and preserving evidence. Filing a police report with University Police will not obligate the victim to press charges. Filing a report can assist in obtaining medical attention, provide the opportunity for the collection of evidence and offer support, including contacting the University Victim Advocate. Students may also wish to contact the University Counseling Office for counseling or referral. Police and counseling staff are trained to maintain confidentiality in these areas. Support and referrals are also available at the University Women’s Center and by any member of the University Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.). For university disciplinary proceedings as well as special guidelines for cases involving sexual misconduct, see the Student Code of Conduct at and Statement of Disciplinary Procedures at • University Police: (203) 392-5375 or 911 • University Counseling Services: (203) 392-5475 • University Women’s Center & Victim Advocate: (203) 392-6946 • University Health Services: (203) 392-6300 • University Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.) Members: What to do if it happens off campus The campus resources listed above are always available to students; however, students may wish to call one of these numbers: • Police Emergency: 911 • Women and Families Center: Sexual Assault Crisis Services 24-Hour Hotline: 1-888-999-5545 (English) 1-888-568-8332 (En Espanol) • Yale-New Haven Hospital: (203) 688-4242 • Hospital of St. Raphael: (203) 789-3000

HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY


sexual Harassment Policy and Procedure: See Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy, Page 8

shuttle Bus service The university provides shuttle bus services Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. and from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday. The 25-passenger vehicles are fully air-conditioned and will pick-up and drop-off passengers at the designated bus shelters located in lot #1 near Davis Hall, lot #2 near Pelz Gym, the Main Faculty and Staff lot at Morrill Hall, at the Adanti Student Center, at lots #7, 8 and 9, at North Campus and in front of Hickerson Hall. A seven-passenger vehicle is specially equipped with a lift gate and tie downs to accommodate wheelchairs and motor scooters. Students who require this service should call University Police at (203) 392-5375 at least 20 minutes prior to pickup. Pilot programs may be initiated for shuttle service based on student needs and the changing environment throughout the construction phases of the university’s strategic plan.

Wellness Center The Wellness Center is a non-judgmental and confidential place for the Southern community to come for information, conversation and referrals on topics related to health and wellness. The Wellness Center collaborates with other departments on campus and in the community to provide comprehensive programs and services for students, faculty and staff. The Wellness Center maintains resources on many topics, including stress management, life balance, sexuality, healthy eating and physical activity. The Wellness Center is located in Granoff Hall, Room 47. For more information call: (203) 392-6526 or e-mail: or visit

Women’s Center The Women’s Center is a place for women and men to gather together to explore and celebrate the richness and diversity of their lives. The center provides information, educational programming, training, referrals, advocacy, and services to foster education, safety, and equity on issues related to feminism, women, men, and gender. The center organizes events of interest to women and men such as discussion groups, a speaker series, workshops, conferences, festivals, and films. The center also maintains a resource room with information on sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, healthy relationships, sexual harassment, stalking, body image, eating disorders, and women’s health. The Coordinator of the Women’s Center is the University’s Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.) Coordinator and also provides advocacy for victims in cases of sexual misconduct. The Women’s Center is located in Schwartz Hall. For further information, call (203) 392-6946 or visit the Web site at


HeaLtH, WeLLness and safetY

a Letter from tHe ViCe President for student and uniVersitY affairs and tHe assistant ViCe President/dean of student affairs

dear students:


n behalf of the Division of Student and University Affairs, we are pleased to welcome you to Southern Connecticut State University! As a member of the Southern community, you will encounter many new disciplines of study and many new approaches to learning, will become active, integral members of a culturally rich community — as diverse as the world itself — and will make life-long friendships along the way. Many opportunities for growth and exploration await you. As the leaders of the Division of Student and University Affairs, we are committed to the intellectual, social, emotional and physical development of our students through innovative programs and services that are responsive to the needs of a diverse student body, to addressing emerging issues that impact the development of students, and to fostering community building within and beyond the university. The areas under our supervision fully support the academic mission of the university by offering an array of opportunities for learning outside the classroom. These opportunities will help you to become informed, productive, creative, morally conscious, and community-engaged citizens. And they will also support you as you embark on a life-long mission of selfdiscovery and learning in a diverse, ever-changing world. It is our wish that you will realize fully the unique possibilities and opportunities available to you here at Southern. We urge you to get involved in campus clubs, organizations, and activities outside of the classroom. Research shows that students who balance their academic work with a extracurricular activities are more productive, more inclined to achieve success in academic and other pursuits, enjoy life more, and are better prepared for life after graduation. Your years of study, exploration, and self-development at Southern can be one of the most exciting and rewarding times of your life, if you seize the opportunities cast before you! We wish you well on your journey at Southern. Sincerely,

ronald d. Herron, ed.d. Vice President for Student and University Affairs

Peter f. troiano, Ph.d. Assistant Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs


student aCtiVities The university’s student clubs and organizations are listed and described as follows: Academic and Professional Development Groups Club Sports Councils and Governing Organizations Honorary Organizations International and Multicultural Groups Media Groups Performing and Creative Arts Groups

Political Action and Advocacy Groups Recreation and Social Organizations Religious Organizations Service Organizations Social Fraternities and Sororities University Organizations

Students desiring more information about an organization should contact the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212.

academic Groups/organizations Many organizations have grown from the natural interest of students majoring in a variety of disciplines. Although these students have given the groups impetus, the clubs are open to all 64

interested undergraduate students. Depending on the nature of the organization, the activities often extend beyond the classroom to include films, field trips, workshops and speakers. The following subject-oriented organizations are currently available to students interested in specialized academic areas: Accounting Society American Advertising Federation American Marketing Association Anthropology Club Biology Club Chemistry Club Computer Club Earth Science Club Economics Club Exercise Physiology Club Financial Management Association Forensic Society Geographic Information Science Club Geography Club History Club Information & Library Science Club Mathematics Club Media Studies Club

Men About Business National Student Nurses Association Philosophy Club Physical Education Club Physics Club Pre-Health Professional Society Pre-Law Society Psychology Club Public Health Society Recreation Club SCSU Management Association SCSU National Science Teacher’s Association Social Welfare Organization Society of Professional Journalists Sociology Club Southern Future Teacher’s Organization Sports Medicine Club Students in Free Enterprise

Councils and Governing organizations student Government association The Student Government Association (SGA) is the primary organization of student governance on Southern’s campus. Voting membership is comprised of 25 full-time students who are elected annually by the student body. Student Government serves as the voice of the student body. SGA also lobbies and advocates on behalf of the students, ensuring that their experience is preserved and protected. Members of Student Government play vital roles on numerous campus committees and have representation on search committees for executive level administrative positions within the university. In addition, SGA helps plan large community and social events, such as Homecoming, Spring Week, The Annual Day of Service and The Big Event. For more information on how to get involved or to speak to someone about your interests or concerns, or for a copy of the Student Government Association Constitution, please contact The Student Government Association located in the Adanti Student Center, Room 226 at (203) 392-6937 or via e-mail at inter-residence Council and Hall Councils The Inter-Residence Council (IRC) has two primary functions. Representatives from each residence hall, apartment, and suite group meet weekly to represent their communities on fund-

student aCtiVities


ing, programming, and hall governance matters. IRC also supports the university’s social and educational programming initiatives, serving the interests of residence hall, apartment, and suite students. Hall councils are established in each residential community. Representatives meet weekly to approve funding from social fees, to plan programs for the hall community, and to address student concerns. All students residing in the community are members of their hall council. Programs Council The Programs Council is responsible for programming, coordinating and scheduling concerts, films, lectures, coffee houses, exhibits, special events and recreational programs. Student volunteers coordinate each area. Committee membership is open to any student who wants to become involved in co-curricular program planning. Greek Life Council The Greek Life Council, composed of two representatives from each fraternity and sorority, is the governing body for all social Greek-lettered fraternities and sororities on campus. The council recommends policies to the university, coordinates university and community service projects and sponsors campus-wide Greek events such as Formal Rush and Greek Week. Class Governments Each class elects its own leadership, consisting of the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and class representatives. Class committees, appointed by the officers, coordinate social and programming activities of their respective class.

social fraternities and sororities Fraternities and sororities provide a supportive group of friends during college and beyond. Opportunities for academic excellence, leadership training, and the development of interpersonal skills are readily available through fraternities and sororities. These opportunities enrich an individual’s college experience as well as prepare them for career challenges after college. Throughout the academic year, fraternities and sororities sponsor a variety of educational programs, attend national and regional workshops and conferences, participate in fundraising activities on behalf of charitable organizations, and provide volunteer service to community outreach programs. Membership is open by invitation to those undergraduate students meeting the necessary qualifications. Pledging, pledge status and hazing as a means of initiating new members into fraternal organizations is prohibited by the university. The Greek system at the university is currently composed of the following national fraternities and sororities:


student aCtiVities

Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity Lambda Pi Upsilon Sorority

Lambda Sigma Upsilon Fraternity Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity Zeta Phi Beta Sorority

In addition to national Greek organizations, Southern also offers the following local fraternities and sororities: Beta Mu Sigma Fraternity Kappa Delta Xi Sorority

Omega Zeta Pi Sorority Sigma Delta Sigma Sorority

Honorary and service organizations Students who excel academically may be invited to join one or more of the following honors organizations: alpha Kappa delta — National Honor Society for Sociology majors delta mu delta — National Honor Society for Business Administration majors Gamma theta upsilon — International Honor Society for Geography majors Golden Key national Honor society— National Honor Society for juniors and seniors in the top 15 percent of their class iota iota iota — National Honor Society for Women Studies undergraduate and graduate students Kappa delta Pi — National Honor Society for Education majors Lambda Pi eta — National Honor Society for Communication majors Phi alpha theta — National Honor Society for History majors Pi sigma alpha — National Honor Society for Political Science majors Psi Chi — National Honor Society for Psychology majors sigma tau delta — National Honor Society for English majors Zeta delta epsilon — Honorary Service Organization

international and multicultural Groups Fostering an understanding and appreciation of other cultures, their people, and customs is the goal of these organizations: African Students Association Asian Culture Society Baka Chan Anime Society Black Student Union Chinese Student Association CIAO Italian Club

student aCtiVities

Organization of Latin American Students People to People Club South Asian Student Association West Indian Society


media Groups Students may gain experience in publishing or broadcasting by joining Folio, Southern News, Southern TV, or WSIN Radio. No previous experience is necessary. • folio is the campus literary magazine. The staff accepts poetry, fiction, essays, photography, and art from students. Folio is a great place to get your creative work published. • southern news is the weekly campus newspaper, publishing stories about campus news, sports, and entertainment. Students can write, edit, shoot photos, do layouts, or sell advertising. • southern tV, the campus television station, gives students the opportunity to take part in live broadcasts, go behind the scenes, and learn about production. • Wsin radio broadcasts to the campus at 1590 AM and online at Be a disc jockey, news reporter, talk show host, music director, or produce and sell commercials.

Performing and Creative arts Groups Students interested in theater may join the Crescent Players, a group that stages performances in The Lyman Center and the Robert Kendall Drama Laboratory. Scripts are selected to provide the widest experiences in acting, costumes, scenery and production. The Arts League sponsors frequent workshops and demonstrations on enameling, sketching, ceramics, sculpture and other media. Such events provide experiences that broaden cultural horizons and provide an outlet for self-expression. The Cultural Affairs Club strives to increase educational enrichment through the sponsorship of outstanding programs in dance, music and theater. National touring companies present many of the programs. The following are also performing and creative arts clubs: Deadhead Jam Band Music Club SCSU Pep Band SCSU Drumline Southern Harmony

Political action and advocacy Groups These clubs and organizations represent political parties, advocate for minority and special interest groups and/or lobby and debate for the rights and beliefs of their respective constituencies. Amnesty International Gideon Organization Best Buddies International Socialists Association College Democrats LGBTQI Prism College Republicans NAACP Council for Exceptional Children Outreach Unlimited Environmental Futurists Veterans Association


student aCtiVities

religious organizations There are five recognized religious organizations on campus: Campus Crusade for Christ Muslim Student Association Intervarsity Christian Fellowship Newman Society Jewish Student Organization

service organizations The following organizations are dedicated to serving both the university community and surrounding communities: Active Minds Colleges Against Cancer HOPE (Peer educators) Habitat for Humanity Zeta Delta Epsilon

sports and recreation Clubs Club sports operate through the Office of Campus Recreation, ASC Room 2. Club sports allow students to participate in intercollegiate competition without the demands of playing on the varsity level. Clubs compete with other schools, and many are part of a collegiate league of play. Each club was created in response to student interest and is run by students. The following is a list of club sports that Southern offers: Cheerleading Team Men’s Volleyball Club Dance Team Paintball Club Ice Hockey Club Steppin’ Up Drill Team Ultimate Frisbee — Disco Ninjas Club Karate Club Men’s Lacrosse Team Ski & Snowboarding Club Men’s Rugby Club Tennis Club Women’s Rugby Club The following are the recreational and social clubs that Southern offers: Bocce Club Gamers Guild

university organizations University organizations are groups that are open to students, faculty and staff.

accessibility to Campus sponsored events Consistent with the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Southern Connecticut State University is firmly committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities, including students, faculty, staff and the general public, have access to university-sponsored meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, programs and activities on or off campus. All registration materials and flyers announcing events should state that the event is accessible to people with disabilities. It is suggested that you ask participants to request accommodations or to identify their needs well in advance of the event so that you

student aCtiVities


can arrange for services to meet their needs. If no request has been made, you are not required to provide disability-related accommodations. (For example, if no advance request is received for accessible transportation or a sign-language interpreter, you do not have to provide this service.) You must, however, provide physical access to your event or activity, ensuring that individuals with mobility impairments can attend. The authorized representative of the sponsoring organization or department shall be responsible for implementing this policy and arranging for other requested accommodations. The Disability Resource Center will coordinate the provision of sign language interpreters. To ensure the availability of interpreters, you must contact the DRC at (203) 392-6828 no less than two weeks in advance of your event. All registration materials and program notices shall provide space for registrants to indicate whether they have disability-related needs and require reasonable accommodations, as well as the name and phone number of the contact person for your organization. Sample of the kind of notice that should be placed on every flyer: a sponsored event: This event is wheelchair accessible. Individuals needing sign-language interpreters, large print or Braille material or any other accommodation should contact (the contact person for your organization and phone number) as early as possible. a sponsored trip: To arrange for accessible transportation, please contact (the contact person for your organization and phone number) as early as possible. Questions concerning the university’s policy should be directed to: Office of Diversity and Equity Programs Schwartz Hall Telephone: (203) 392-5899 (TDD service available)

athletics A member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division II, Southern recognizes the value of competition in individual and team sports and maintains a comprehensive program of intercollegiate athletics for men and women. Intercollegiate teams for men include football, soccer, cross country, basketball, swimming, baseball and track and field. Women’s intercollegiate athletic teams include field hockey, volleyball, cross country, basketball, gymnastics, swimming, softball, track and field, soccer and lacrosse. An incoming first-year student with no previous college attendance must be certified as eligible to compete by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Once accepted, a student-athlete must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 semester hours to be eligible to practice and compete during that semester. Each fall after the initial year of enrollment, the student must maintain


student aCtiVities

satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. This includes, but is not limited to, satisfactory completion of 24 semester hours of acceptable degree credits since the previous fall or an average of 12 credits for each semester of full-time enrollment, and the maintaining of good academic standing, with a corresponding GPA.

events By recognized student organizations The purpose of this policy is to reaffirm and establish procedures related to events sponsored either on or off campus by officially recognized student organizations. Failure of a student organization to adhere to these policies shall result in the cancellation and/or limitation of the event. The Vice President for Student and University Affairs must approve any exception to these policies in writing no less than two weeks before the event. i. Contracts for services A. A contract is defined as any oral or written agreement between two or more parties where payment or goods are made for services rendered. B. Students/advisers are not permitted to sign or agree to contracts for services or facilities. C. Any officially recognized student organization that wishes to sponsor an off-campus event must obtain a written contract from the management of the facility. The contract, which shall be reviewed and signed by the Vice President of Student and University Affairs, must stipulate all of the conditions under which the facility will be used (e.g., liability, beginning and ending time of the event, security and control, exclusivity of usage, maximum occupancy, controlled access to alcoholic beverages, cancellation and penalties, billing arrangements, etc.). D. The university and/or the Office of Student Life will not be liable for any contract signed by advisers, class officers, Student Government Associationmembers or their representatives, the officers of recognized clubs/organizations or any other student or group of students. ii. reservation Procedures for on-Campus facilities A. A request for use of the following facilities must be made through the designated Facility Administrator: • Connecticut Hall: Eric Simms, Associate Director of the Adanti Student Center, or Janet Schneider, Assistant Director of the Adanti Student Center. • John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts: David Starkey, Associate Director of Lyman Center. • James Moore Fieldhouse, Irma Pelz Gymnasium and Adjoining Athletic Fields, Jess Dow Field and Tennis Courts: Anthony Aceto, Coordinator of Athletic Facilities. • University Residence Halls and the Residence Hall Quadrangle: Angela Todaro, Director of Housing and Residence Life Services. • University Student Center: Eric Simms, Associate Director of the Adanti Student Center. • All Other Facilities and Campus Grounds: Mark Ceneviva, Facilities Usage Coordinator.

student aCtiVities


iii. Planning off-Campus events A. Student organizations that intend to sponsor an off-campus event must complete a Facilities Usage Form and a Travel Authorization Form. These forms can be obtained in the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212. Forms must be signed by the faculty adviser and the organization president and returned to the Office of Student Life, together with the proposed contract and, if applicable, an Alcohol Policy Addendum for review and approval. B. Whenever a student organization wishes to use Student Affairs’ vans, a Van Reservation Request must accompany the Off-Campus Facility Usage Form. Southern faculty, staff, graduate interns or students who have completed the driver safety course may drive Student Affairs’ vans. Maximum occupancy for each van is 10 passengers and a driver. iV. General Policies for events A. Attendance shall be limited to the capacity of the facility. B. For events held both on and off campus, the faculty adviser shall ensure that student ID cards are checked prior to admission. For public events, all escorted guests (non-Southern students) shall be required to present identification and list their names and addresses together with the names of their hosts, prior to admission. Students and guests may be required to have their hands stamped or wear plastic wrist bracelets. The university reserves the right to limit the number of escorted guests. Consistent with the Student Code of Conduct, university students are responsible for the actions of their guests. C. The faculty adviser is responsible for being in attendance from the start of the event to its conclusion. D. The admission and readmission cut-off time is normally 11:30 p.m. for any evening campus event. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Office of Student Life and published prior to the start of the event. E. Individuals who have been denied admission or readmission will not be permitted to congregate outside a campus event. F. The University Police shall have the authority to monitor and to terminate an event in the interest of personal safety and the protection of university property. It shall be the duty of those responsible for the event to cooperate with and assist the University Police and/or other university officials if the event has to be closed. Similarly, the faculty adviser has the authority and responsibility to terminate any off-campus event for reasons of safety or where, in their judgment, the management of the facility has failed to fulfill the conditions of the contract. G. Events held both on and off campus shall not go beyond 1:00 a.m. The faculty advisor and the officers of the student organization are responsible for ensuring that all persons leave the contracted facility at the conclusion of the event. H. If the student organization wishes to have alcoholic beverages available at an event, the Alcohol Policy Addendum should be attached to the Facilities Usage Form. I. Advertising shall not begin or invitations extended until after the proposed event has been approved by the Director of Student Life. The Facilities Usage Form becomes official when, and only when, the signed copy of the form is received by the faculty advisor. 72

student aCtiVities

J. Any event involving the raising of funds by a student organization must receive prior approval in writing from the Office of Student Life, ASC, Room 212. Fund raising forms must be filed online. (See Fund-Raising Activities.) K. Student organizations shall be responsible for the cost of repairing any damage to the facility incurred during an event and repairing or replacing any equipment damaged during an event. L. Within three class days following the event, the student organization is responsible for providing the Office of Student Life with an accounting of money collected and the number of tickets sold/unsold. All money must be deposited in the organization’s account within 24 hours (one business day) after the collection of the funds. The organization must also ensure that prompt payment of all costs related to the event occurs. M. All security arrangements will be made through the Facilities Usage Committee and University Police.

fundraising activities All activities involving the collection of money by recognized organizations are defined as fund raising activities. Fundraising activities include the selling of printed materials, political materials, student-produced goods, and student-provided services; the selling of tickets and/or the charging of admission to public activities or events; the soliciting of voluntary contributions; the collection of dues and the selling of other goods and services. Recognized student organizations wishing to conduct a fund raising activity must file an online application for approval by the Office of Student Life. The following procedures and policies apply to all fund raising activities: a. Procedures 1. Application forms for approval to conduct fund raising activities are available online at and must be filled out in their entirety, at least 15 days prior to the proposed fund raising activity. 2. The appropriate facility usage form (On campus/Off campus/ or Student Center Online Reservation form) must be filled out and submitted to the correct office. 3. Organizations are not encouraged to accept personal checks as payment for goods and services. The sponsoring organizations will assume full responsibility if a loss is incurred due to checks being returned to the university for insufficient funds. 4. No expenditures are to be made from cash collected. All money collected through the

student aCtiVities


fundraising activity must be deposited in the organization’s account, located in the Business Office, within 24 hours after the collection of the funds. 5. A complete financial report and a copy of the deposit receipt of each approved fundraising activity must be filed with the Office of Student Life within three class days following the fundraising activity, indicating the amount of money collected and deposited and the number of tickets sold/unsold. Clubs and organizations that do not follow this procedure may lose their fundraising activities and their right to reserve university facilities for this purpose. 6. Organizations planning fundraising activities off campus should research pertinent local, state, and federal laws. B. Criteria used for Consideration of a fundraising request 1. The fundraising activity shall be consistent with the educational mission and public responsibilities of the university. 2. The fundraising activity must not interfere with existing university contracts and must not violate related local and state laws. 3. The fundraising activity must be sponsored by a recognized organization of the university. 4. The fundraising activity will be considered on the basis of the purpose(s) stated by the sponsors. 5. The fundraising activity will be given consideration based on the anticipated benefits to the sponsors as well as the anticipated benefits to the general student body and the university. C. General Policies for fund raising 1. Use of university facilities for fundraising activities is limited to prevent exploitation of the members of the university community and to avoid overcrowding and interference with those using an area for other purposes. 2. In general, fundraising activities will not be permitted for the personal benefit of an individual or for commercial enterprises. 3. Student organizations will normally be limited to five days a month for such activities. 4. The use of the campus e-mail for purposes of fundraising is prohibited. 5. Student organizations sponsoring a fundraising activity will be required to pay out of their proceeds all expenses, including any special services fees (e.g., custodial, security), that might be incurred in conducting the fund raising activity. 6. The establishment of booths and/or tables for the sale of permitted tickets, goods, and services and for the solicitation of voluntary contributions will be approved by the university subject to necessary regulation of the use of limited available space. 7. At all locations, solicitors must be members of the organization conducting the fundraising activity. 8. Fundraising activities may be conducted outside of campus buildings, provided they do not interfere with the use of streets, sidewalks, building entrances, classes, or other educational activities. The group would be required fo file a facilities usage form to secure approval space. 9. No room-to-room soliciting will be permitted at any time in classes or residence halls. 74

student aCtiVities

Solicitation of faculty or staff members in their offices will not be permitted an any time. 10. Commercial enterprises will not be permitted to solicit business on university grounds or within campus buildings. Exceptions may be made if the activity is conducted by a recognized student organization, academic unit, or administrative unit of the university; if comparable goods or services are unavailable at the university; if the financial reliability of the applicant can be verified; and if there is a benefit to the student body or university community. 11. An explicit statement clearly identifying the sponsor of the fundraising activity and the organization or cause that will benefit from the activity must be displayed and visible to contributors. 12. Organizations selling printed or political material deemed contrary to local, state, or federal law do so on their own responsibility and may subject themselves to arrest and prosecution by public authorities. 13. Organizations may not harass, embarrass, or intimidate the person or persons being solicited. 14. Revocation of fund raising privileges of up to one calendar year will be used as a penalty for willful violation of stated procedures and policies.

Hazing Policy statement Although hazing practices are normally associated with social fraternities and sororities, the university’s Hazing Policy Statement shall apply to all organizations, groups and individuals. As a condition of recognition by the university, all clubs and organizations including fraternities and sororities, must agree that they and their members will not engage in any action or situation that produces mental or physical discomfort or endangers the safety of an individual for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with their organizations. In addition, they must agree that they and their members will not engage in any action or situation that causes an individual to suffer indignity, embarrassment, humiliation or ridicule at the hands of others. Organizations that are accused of violating the Hazing Policy Statement may be interim suspended immediately while allegations are investigated. Organizations found responsible for hazing will be sanctioned. Individuals who are found responsible for hazing will be charged with violating university policy and will be referred to the university disciplinary process. All organizations, groups, clubs, sports teams, fraternities and sororities must understand that hazing in any form is prohibited. Organizations violating the university’s Hazing Policy Statement will be brought before the Student Affairs Committee. Individual members of organizations violating this policy will be brought before the University Judicial Officer for disciplinary action. If found guilty, they shall be subject to suspension or expulsion from the university. Copies of the university’s Hazing Policy Statement can be obtained from the Office of Student Life, located in the Adanti Student Center.

student aCtiVities


intramural sports The office of Campus Recreation, located in the Adanti Student Center, Room 227, through the Office of Student Life, offers intramural programs throughout the academic year. During the fall semester, the outdoor season runs from September to October followed by the indoor season in November and December. Traditional fall semester offerings are flag football, softball, indoor soccer and 3-on-3 basketball. The spring semester features an indoor season from February to mid-March, followed by an outdoor season from April to mid-May. Traditional spring semester offerings are 5-on-5 basketball, volleyball, softball and 9-on-9 outdoor soccer. There are also various tournaments throughout the year, including wiffle-ball, dodgeball and a golf tournament. The Intramural Program is open to all students with a valid Southern ID. All intramural programs sponsored by Campus Recreation are co-ed.

media Board The student media are recognized as valuable aids in establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of free and responsible discussion and of intellectual exploration on campus. They are the means of bringing student concerns to the attention of the faculty and institutional authorities, formulating student opinion on various campus and world issues and informing the student body of events on the campus and around the world. Institutional authorities, in consultation with students and faculty, have a responsibility to provide written clarification of the role of the student media, the standards to be used in their evaluation and the limitations on external control of their operation. Policies shall provide sufficient editorial freedom for the student media to maintain their integrity of purpose as vehicles for free inquiry and free expression in an academic community. At the same time, freedom from censorship and editorial freedom entail corollary responsibilities to be governed by the canons of responsible journalism, such as the avoidance of libel (according to current legal definitions), obscenity (according to current legal definitions), undocumented allegations, invasion of privacy, attacks on personal integrity and the techniques of harassment and innuendo. In addition, the student media should avoid expression that creates a material interference and substantial physical disruption of educational activities. The student media should reflect standards of professional and educational conduct and scholarship that help to maintain a climate suitable to an academic community. The student media shall be free of censorship and advance approval of copy. Editors and general managers of the student media shall be free to develop their own editorial policies and news coverage. They shall be responsible for the form, content and staff of their respective student media. Editors and general managers of the student media shall be protected from arbitrary suspension and removal because of student, faculty, and administrative or public disapproval of editorial policy or content. Only for proper and stated causes (misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance) shall editors and general managers be subject to removal, and then only by orderly and prescribed procedures that guarantee all the protections of due process. The Student Media Board shall be a standing committee that shall decide and act upon 76

student aCtiVities

all policies and procedures concerning the student media on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University. All student media shall operate in accordance with standards approved by this board. The Student Media Board shall be responsible through the Office of Student Affairs to the President of the university. Any action of the Student Media Board may be appealed to the Office of Student Affairs. The Student Media Board shall be composed of one student appointed by the Student Government Association, one student appointed by the chairperson of the English Department, one student appointed by the chairperson of the Journalism Department, one student appointed by the chairperson of the Communication Department, the editor or general manager of each student medium, the adviser(s) of each student medium, two representatives from the community selected by the members of the Student Media Board and one administrator appointed by the Dean of Student Affairs. The students appointed by the Student Government Association and the chairpersons of the English, Journalism and Communication departments may not be members of a student medium. The terms of office are Sept. 1 to June 30. Members may serve more than one term. The Student Media Board shall meet at least once a month during the academic year. It shall establish its own parliamentary procedures. A simple majority of the Student Media Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. All members of the board shall be voting members. The chairperson of the board shall be elected each year by the majority vote of the members. The Student Media Board shall have the following responsibilities: • Review and recommend general policies and procedures related to the student media that are funded and/or recognized by the University. • Promote/support activities in connection with the presentation, publication and maintenance of student media. • Ascertain that each student medium is complying with its own general statement of policy and operating procedures. • Recommend policies regarding the publication of special editions or supplements. • Encourage wide student participation and faculty support of the student media. • Recommend the approval of new student media to the Student Government Association and Office of Student Affairs. • Recommend to the Office of Student Affairs the termination of a student medium that no longer serves the student body and the university. • Meet with editors, general managers and advisers to review their annual evaluation of their media. Editors, general managers and advisers, in consultation with the Student Media Board, shall establish written guidelines for these evaluations. • Each spring, select an editor or general manager for each student medium. Each medium shall establish written procedures and criteria in consultation with the Student Media Board that shall be used in the selection of an editor or general manager. These written procedures and criteria shall be made available to any member of the academic community. • Meet with editors, general managers and advisers for a semi-annual review of the performance of the editors and general managers on the basis of written evaluation criteria

student aCtiVities


established by the editors, general managers and advisers for their media. • Establish an orderly procedure for hearings to consider written charges of substance and severity against an editor, general manager or member of a student medium and conduct hearings when the charges merit this action. Such procedures and hearing shall provide for all the protections of due process. • Upon request, review publications and/or printed material distributed on campus and recommend action, when warranted, to be taken by the university. • Select recipients of student media awards based on written procedures and criteria. This document may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the total membership of the Student Media Board and approved by the Office of Student Affairs.

recognition of new student organizations Students bring to the university a variety of interests previously acquired and develop many new interests as members of the academic community. Student organizations must be established for purposes that are legal and consistent with the broad educational mission of the university. Organizations wishing to be recognized by the university must form and operate in compliance with university policies and procedures. Organizations that are recognized by the university are required to abide by all applicable local, state and federal laws, including Title IX and university policies, rules and regulations. The recognition of a student organization by the university does not constitute an endorsement of the objectives, policies or practices of that organization, nor does the university assume sponsorship of or responsibility for any of the programs or activities of that organi-


student aCtiVities

zation. As adults, all students of the university are expected to take personal responsibility for their own conduct, including participation in extracurricular activities. The recognition procedures that follow were established by the university to ensure that all student organizations can, on an equitable basis, obtain those rights and privileges that are normally associated with formal recognition. Students interested in forming a new student organization should contact the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, to discuss the type of organization desired and the procedures that must be followed. i. recognition Procedures A. A student organization seeking university recognition must be composed of full-time undergraduate students currently registered at the university. B. A university organization seeking university recognition may be composed of undergraduate and graduate students currently registered at the university and may extend membership to teaching faculty, administrators and staff members. C. A student group interested in organizing and applying for recognition may be granted a 30-day permit to use campus facilities for the purpose of completing required procedures and for recruiting interested members. It will not be allowed to sponsor speakers, programs or events; sponsor fund-raising activities; or use the name of the university until it has been formally recognized. 1. Proposals may be submitted to the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, and are available at the Student Life Web site. Proposals must contain the following information: a. Name of the proposed organization. b. A statement of purpose. c. A statement explaining the potential benefits of the proposed organization to the university and members of the student body. d. A statement of the membership policy. e. Names of those interested in forming the organization. f. Evidence of faculty/staff sponsorship. All student organizations are required to have faculty advisers who are members of the teaching faculty, administration or staff. Faculty members may be recommended by the organization, but are appointed by and serve at the discretion of the university. g. A copy of the proposed constitution. h. An organization desiring university recognition of its affiliation with a state and/or national organization must submit a copy of the state and/or national constitution and bylaws. These shall be reviewed as part of the recognition process. 2. Upon an initial review by the Board of Constitutional Review, the chairperson will submit copies of the completed proposal to the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, for review and approval. D. An organization will be granted provisional status for one calendar year. After one year of provisional status, the organization may apply for full recognition. The Board of Constitutional Review will review the organization’s status and make recommendations to

student aCtiVities


the Office of Student Life that full recognition be approved or denied. During the provisionary period, the Board of Constitutional Review, in consultation with the Office of Student Life, may terminate a club that does not comply with university policies or regulations or with applicable local, state or federal laws or violates the rules and procedures governing the use of Student Activity Funds. E. A recognized organization that wishes to revise or amend its approved constitution can obtain the appropriate forms and procedures from the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212. Upon approval of the Board of Constitutional Review, the chairperson shall submit copies of the revised constitution to the Office of Student Life for its review and approval. F. Student groups wishing to benefit from the advantages of recognition for a limited period of time without the intent of becoming a permanent student organization should meet with the Director of Student Life to discuss specific group plans and objectives. ii. rights and Privileges of recognized organizations A. Use of certain university facilities, equipment and services. B. Right to schedule meetings and programs in campus facilities. C. Right to publicize group meetings and other events on campus. D. Right to disseminate information and literature on campus. E. Eligible to establish financial accounts. All student organizations must maintain their financial accounts with SCSU. F. Right to raise funds or make other permissible solicitations on university property in accordance with written university policies. G. Right to invite membership. H. Opportunities to participate as a group in university events and other activities. I. Right to invite speakers to campus. J. Right to receive assistance from a faculty adviser. K. May be granted permission to use the name of the university in connection with its approved programs and activities. No organization, however, shall advertise or promote its programs or activities in a manner that suggests that the university sponsors the function. iii. funding of undergraduate student organizations The Student Board of Finance is appointed through the Student Government Association. This group of students is responsible for the allocation of Student Activity Fees under the supervision of the Director of Student Life. Student Activity Fees are used to support the social, cultural, recreational and educational programs and activities of all undergraduate student organizations, club sports and intramural programs. Undergraduate student organizations that limit their membership, university organizations, and organizations with provisional status are not eligible to receive budgets; they may, however, file a written petition for funding to the Student Board of Finance for a specific event that would be open to all students. Budget allocations are made annually by the Student Government Association. All budget requests are submitted by the Board of Finance to the Office of Student Life for final approval. 80

student aCtiVities

iV. Withdrawal of recognition A. All recognized organizations must register with the Office of Student Life each semester. Should any organization fail to register within the prescribed period, it shall automatically lose its recognition and all the rights and privileges associated with formal recognition. It is the organization’s responsibility to keep this information accurate and up-to-date. B. Any organization that fails to comply with its own constitution; fails to abide by all applicable local, state and federal laws and university policies, rules and regulations; engages in unlawful activities; or violates the rules and procedures governing the use of Student Activity Funds is subject to disciplinary action including, but not limited to, probation, suspension or withdrawal of university recognition by the Office of Student Life. C. Disciplinary action may be initiated by the Student Government Association or the Office of Student Life. A recognized organization subject to disciplinary action that may result in the termination or suspension of recognition shall be guaranteed the right to a hearing and all the protections of due process. D. An organization whose recognition was terminated or suspended may petition the Vice President for Student and University Affairs or their designee for reinstatement. The Vice President for Student and University Affairs may set terms, conditions and/or restrictions that the organization must adhere to before and after its recognition is reinstated by the university. E. Disciplinary action involving suspension or withdrawal of university recognition may be appealed to the President of the university. The decision of the President will be final and binding.

student aCtiVities


V. responsibilities of student organizations In addition to the rights and privileges that formal recognition carries, responsibility is placed on each organization, including its officers and individual members, to conduct its affairs within the framework of university policies, rules and regulations and the provisions stated in the constitution of the organization. A. Organizations have the responsibility to take reasonable steps to ensure that all programs and activities sponsored by the organization comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws and with university policies, procedures, rules and regulations. B. Officers of an organization shall be held accountable and responsible for the programs and activities sponsored by the organization in the event that the organization and/or its members violate established university policies, procedures, rules or regulations. C. An organization shall be responsible for its members’ behavior when they are acting as members of the organization (with or without official approval) rather than as individual students; when an event is held (officially or unofficially) in the name of the organization; and when the actions or activities of individual students draw attention to the organization rather than to themselves as individuals. D. An organization shall have an up-to-date copy of its constitution, a Directory Information form, beneficiary form and equipment and supply inventory forms on file with the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212. E. Organizations have the responsibility to ensure that all students within the university community, including those with disabilities, are able to participate in and benefit from all programs and activities sponsored by the organization. All publicity for approved trips must include information on accessibility needs. F. Organizations have the responsibility to supervise their events and ensure the safe operation of their programs and activities. G. Organizations accept responsibility for any destruction of or damage to university property, equipment or facilities and any costs related to the use of university property, equipment or facilities. H. Organizations accept responsibility for assuring that facilities are used for the purpose for which they were scheduled. I. An organization accepts responsibility for any of its programs and activities that interfere with the rights of any member of the university community, with another student organization and/or its guests or with the normal operation of the university. J. Organizations have the responsibility to ensure that all funds, including Student Activity Funds and money raised through fundraising are maintained and expended according to the rules and procedures established by the Student Board of Finance. K. Organizations must register with the Office of Student Life each semester by the advertised deadline, in order to maintain their recognition status. L. Organizations take responsibility for maintaining contact with their approved faculty adviser and meeting their responsibilities to their faculty adviser as described in section VII of this policy.


student aCtiVities

Vi. adviser’s responsibilities The faculty adviser has the following responsibilities to an organization: A. To be knowledgeable about the purpose and program of the organization; B. To ensure that the officers and members of the organization are informed of university policies, procedures, rules and regulations; C. To ensure that university policies, procedures, rules and regulations governing student activities and student organizations are followed; D. To ensure that officers of the organization are selected according to the procedures stated in the organization’s constitution; E. To ensure that all funds, including Student Activity Funds and money raised through fundraising, are maintained and expended according to the established rules and procedures; F. To attend and supervise all activities, programs and events sponsored by the organization as required by the Office of Student Life; G. To ensure that requests for university services or appeals of administrative decisions are processed through the faculty adviser; H. To inform the Office of Student Life immediately when the organization is disbanded or becomes inactive. Vii. the organization’s responsibilities to the adviser The organization has the following responsibilities to its adviser: A. To meet with the adviser on a regular basis and to keep the adviser informed of the overall program and activities of the organization; B. To inform the adviser well in advance of the schedule (date, time and location) of all meetings, activities, programs and events sponsored by the organization; C. To process requests for university services or appeals of administrative decisions through the faculty adviser; D. To give the adviser an opportunity to express an opinion on issues that affect the welfare of the organization and the interest of the university.

student aCtiVities


student serViCes academic Computer Center: See Office of Information Technology-Support Services (OIT-SS), Page 95

audio Visual/multi-media services Located in EN B 017C, the Audio Visual/Multi-Media Department (AV/TV) provides instructional services to the entire campus community. Students who want to use audio-visual and television equipment for instructional purposes must secure prior approval from the instructor involved. Equipment (with some exceptions) will be delivered to the designated classroom by AV/TV personnel. Only the class instructor can make equipment requests for delivery to classrooms. The AV/TV Department usually requires two business days to reserve or pick up any equipment. For off-campus or overnight use, permission must be obtained from the coordinator of the AV/TV Department. Each person is responsible for the care, handling, use and prompt return of all equipment. Students who need instructions for the proper use of the equipment should contact the AV/TV Department at (203) 392-5400. Equipment will not be issued unless the individual can demonstrate its proper use. 84

Bookstore Southern’s Barnes & Noble Bookstore is located on the ground floor of the Michael J. Adanti Student Center. The bookstore provides school supplies, new textbooks, and used textbooks, at 25 percent off. Recycled notebooks, supplies, and greeting cards are also available. Students can view and order course books by accessing the bookstore’s Web site through the university’s Web site. The bookstore also conducts book buybacks every day to recycle textbooks on campus. The bookstore pays up to 50 percent of the selling price for textbooks needed for the upcoming semester. The bookstore also carries general and reference books, discounted campus bestsellers, bargain books, computer supplies, Southern clothing and gifts, backpacks, magazines, residence hall supplies, health and beauty aids, and a wide range of convenience snacks and beverages. The bookstore’s fall and spring semester hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. These hours are extended at the beginning of each semester. The summer hours are Monday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The bookstore accepts cash, personal checks (with picture ID), MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express, and the SCSU Hoot Loot Card. Textbooks may be returned for a refund with a sales receipt within the first week of classes or two days from start of class during the summer session. Openings for part-time employment are available at the bookstore. Applications are preferred a month before the semester starts, but are welcome at all times. To contact the bookstore, call (203) 392-5270; fax (203) 392-5278; Web:;

Bursar’s office The Bursar's Office is responsible for student billing and revenue collection. In addition to collecting and posting payments on student's accounts, the Bursar's Office oversees monthly payment plans, financial aid refunds, Perkins Loan accounts, and the collection of past due tuition. The Bursar's Office also processes refunds from overpayments, class withdrawals, university withdrawals, and status changes. The Cashier's Office is a part of the Bursar's Office and is located in the main lobby of the Wintergreen Building. the hours of operation for the Bursar’s office are Monday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Tuesday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, payments can be made online at by clicking on Pay Bill, Payment Plan Sign-Up, and View EStatement.

student serViCes


financial obligations: Southern Connecticut State University expects students to be prepared to meet their financial obligations to the university. Planning for those obligations and literally “taking care of business” well in advance of any semester permits students to focus their energies on the academic challenges of university life. The information provided below is intended to be a guide to help students understand the university’s billing policy so that they can be better prepared to meet their financial obligations. student account Billing Policy: Payment for full-time matriculated students is due in full approximately four to six weeks prior to the first day of classes for fall and spring semesters. Payment by part-time non-matriculated students and by all students registering for courses offered in intersession, spring break, and/or summer semesters is due at the time of registration. Payments may include financial aid, scholarship(s), third-party payments, payments from personal resources, or enrollment in a payment plan. eBill is the university’s official method for sending student account billing statements. Students will not receive paper statements (or bills) through the postal service; rather students and authorized users will receive e-mail notification when new statements are available online through the eBill + Payment Suite: student account billing statements, which show all charges and payments available through this secure online system. To view your student billing statement or make a payment online, go to and click on Pay Bill, Payment Plan Sign-Up, and View EStatement. For detailed information regarding the eBill + Payment Suite features, such as setting up an authorized user, creating an eRefund account, or enrolling in a payment plan online, go to sCsu Payment Plans: All students may enroll in one of Southern’s deferred payment plans. These plans allow payments to be made throughout the semester/year. Students can self-enroll in a payment plan online by clicking on Pay Bill, Payment Plan Sign-Up, and View E-statement at or by calling the Bursar’s office at (203) 392-6140 for assistance. Students are eligible to enroll in a payment plan at the time of registration for classes as long as all previous semesters have been paid in full. A $45 enrollment fee and the first payment are due at the time of enrollment in the payment plan. Acceptable forms of payment for deferred payment plans include the following: eCheck (automatic withdrawal from a checking or savings account)*, a charge against a credit or debit card, or in-person payment at the Bursar’s Office in the form of cash, check, credit card, or money order. Penalty for late and non-payment: An account is considered “past due” after a 10-day grace period from the semester due date. Any student who registers after the semester due date and does not pay upon registration is also considered past due. Past due student accounts are subject to a $50 late fee, a hold placed on their account, and/or having their class schedule canceled and, if applicable, their housing assignment. Holds placed on accounts will prevent students from registering for subsequent semesters, and restrict their access to official transcripts and grades. Special circumstances may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Collection of debt: Students with past due balances are subject to the university’s collection process; students failing to pay past-due accounts or make adequate payment arrangements will be assigned to a collection agency. Collection agency fees will be charged to the student, and their past due balance will be reported to the credit bureau(s). *Note: It may take up to five busi-


student serViCes

ness days for a newly designated account to be verified and available for eCheck payment. Home equity lines of credit, trust accounts, 527 Educational Saving accounts, Webster Bank checks, and credit card checks cannot be used as eCheck payments.

Bus service Bus service to New Haven and the vicinity is provided by Connecticut Transit, which makes regularly scheduled stops on Fitch Street near the Alumni Bridge.

Center for Career services The Office of Career Services, located in Schwartz Hall, suite 102, offers comprehensive career resources for all students and alumni. A range of innovative programs enables students to explore, define, prepare for, and realize their career objectives. Job opportunities are available to students for full-time and part-time positions during their college tenure. All on-campus student employment is coordinated through the Center for Career Services. National and regional employers representing all fields actively recruit students through JOBSs (Job Opportunities Benefiting Southern students), an online job board available 24/7 to students and alumni looking for fulland part-time positions, co-ops, internships, and on-campus student employment. Cooperative education integrates study with related professional experience. Undergraduate students have the opportunity to earn money and up to 12 academic credits while gaining valuable career-related experience. Career development Programs include career counseling, individual consultation regarding career options, resume writing, cover letters, and job search strategies with professional staff; workshops on all career-related topics; and speakers from various businesses and organizations discussing their career fields, occupations, industries, and career opportunities. FOCUS is a Web-based assessment tool that can help students find out more about majors and careers that suit their interests and skills. Career fairs are held throughout the year and attract more than 150 employers, representing all fields, seeking students and graduates for full-time, part-time, and cooperative education positions Career resource Computer Lab offers comprehensive technical resources to all students for rĂŠsumĂŠ creation, career exploration, company information and job-search via the Internet. An extensive collection of printed and multimedia resources on career-related topics are available in the Career Services Library. For additional information visit the Career Services Web site at

student serViCes


Center for adaptive technology The Center for Adaptive Technology (CAT) helps students with visual, physical and learning disabilities become independent computer users through the use of adaptive applications and reading and writing aids. The CAT’s professional staff provides computer access evaluations and training in an accessible, supportive environment. During open lab hours, students use adaptive technology to complete coursework and access e-mail and the Internet. Adaptive technology is also provided in other locations on campus, such as the library and some of the general computer labs. Call (203) 392-5799 or check the CAT Web site,, for the latest information and schedules.

Childcare reimbursement Program The Division of Student and University Affairs sponsors a childcare reimbursement program for a limited number of both undergraduate and graduate student parents. The program offers a modest reimbursement of up to $500 per family per semester to help student parents cover childcare expenses, whether the services are provided through a licensed daycare center or through babysitting services. The reimbursements are awarded to those students who meet all of the eligibility requirements with priority based upon financial need. All applications will be reviewed by the Child Care Reimbursement Program Committee. Please visit the Women’s Center Web site at and click on Work-Life Balance for details, or call (203) 392-6946. The Early Learning Center, a licensed day care at Gateway Community-Technical College, 60 Sargent Drive (Long Wharf), New Haven provides year-round care for children ages 3-5. As part of a Connecticut higher education institutional collaboration between Southern and Gateway, special discounted rates are available for the childcare tuition of children of Southern students. Sliding scale tuition is available for New Haven residents. For information about the program and rates, call (203) 285-2131. For daycare services for children under three years of age, call the Connecticut Care Infoline at 1-800-203-1234 to receive referrals for state-licensed infant care centers throughout Connecticut.

Community Hour To strengthen a sense of campus community and to allow participation in campus events, the university has set aside two-and-a-half hours each week, from 1:05 to 1:55 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, as Academic Community Hours. During these times, student organizations, academic departments and administrative units of the university are encouraged to sponsor programs and activities.

Commuter student services Students who do not live in university residence halls are considered off-campus and/or commuting students. The office of Commuter Student Services is designed to meet the unique 88

student serViCes

needs of commuting students by providing information, resources, programs, outreach and advocacy. The office encourages students to become active members of the Southern community through involvement in one or more student clubs or organizations. Student involvement and the education gained outside the classroom are fundamental to student success. Commuter Student Services is located in the Adanti Student Center, Room 325. Commuter students are encouraged to visit the Student Center daily to relax, connect, study and eat. The office strives to make the Adanti Student Center a safe and comfortable environment, realizing that it is a home away from home during a student’s time on campus. The following are some of the services that are provided at the student center: campus information center, food court, game room, computer lab, fitness center, lockers, Tyco Copy Center, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, televisions, lounges, and Hamden Federal Credit Union banking services.

dining services For up-to-date information on all dining services, visit adanti student Center food Court. The Food Court of the Adanti Student Center, which officially opened in the fall of 2006, provides a comfortable environment for commuters, residential students, faculty and staff to grab a bite to eat or to meet with friends between classes. It features Dunkin’ Donuts, Sbarro, Mondo Subs, Coyote Jack’s Burgers and a soup and salad bar. Hours of the Food Court vary throughout the year, based on the academic calendar and are posted at the location and the Web site, Purchases can be made with cash, debit card, credit card, Food Loot, and Hoot Loot. Connecticut Hall Connecticut Hall is the main resident dining facility on campus, featuring hot meat and vegetarian entrees, daily specialty salads, salad bar, deli bar, soups, pizzas, pasta, made-to-order omelets, beverages and desserts. A student-organized Food Service Advisory Committee works closely with the dining service management team to assure that the dining program is meeting the dining needs of students. Connecticut Hall is open Monday–Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight. There are three full meal plans offered — Platinum Meal Plan, Gold Meal Plan, and Silver Meal Plan. The program is the Pulse On Dining Program. The meal plans are based on unlimited access to allyou-care-to-eat, with the addition of Anywhere Meals, Guest Meals, and Food Loot dollars. Residential students who live in non-kitchen units are required to be on one of the three full meal plans. Commuter students can also purchase any of the full meal plans. In addition, there are three different Commuter Block Plans offered for students that commute. Special Note: A valid Hoot Loot ID Card must be presented to gain access to the dining room. This card is not transferable and is for the exclusive use of the purchaser. Violations of this policy will result in confiscation of the card and referral to the University Judicial Officer for disciplinary action.

student serViCes


the Bagel Wagon The Bagel Wagon, located in Engleman B wing, is a convenient place to pick up light snack food, beverages and pre-made sandwiches and to hang out in comfortable surroundings between classes. Hours vary throughout the year, based on the academic calendar, and are always posted at the location and at the food service Web site. During the fall and spring semesters the hours are as follows: m–th friday saturday sunday Bagel Wagon 8am–8pm 8am–2pm Closed Closed Hours of service in each of these venues are subject to change. The Davis Hall Kiosk offers a wide variety of market-fresh deli sandwiches, wraps, and gourmet salads for your enjoyment. Hours are Monday-Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The North Campus Market is located on the first floor of North Campus Residence Complex. Available Items are “grab-and-go” favorites, including our famous warm cookies. Hours are Sunday-Thursday from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

dean of student affairs The Office of Student Affairs empowers students to reach their full potential by providing programs and services that nurture the intellectual, psychological, physical, cultural, and social development of students, and by promoting initiatives that encourage students to become engaged and effective leaders in the community and the region. It also sponsors universitywide events that foster an appreciation of cultural, ethnic, and individual differences and promote a life-long commitment to wellness, learning, and community service. The Assistant Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs oversees key areas of student services including the Multicultural Center, the Counseling Center, Health Services, the Wellness Center, Academic Support Services, the Disability Resource Center (DRC), the Women’s Center, the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center (DARC), LGBT Sexuality and Gender Equality Center (SAGE), Career Services, the Veterans’ Center, the International Students Office, the Tutorial Center, Campus Ministry, the Graduate Student Intern program, and others. He also provides oversight of the campus judicial system. The Assistant Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs assists the Vice President for Student and University Affairs with projects and initiatives designed to enhance student success. He serves as a sounding board for student ideas, needs, and issues and refers students to appropriate university offices. The dean is available to help solve student dilemmas. If you have questions, ideas, or concerns, stop by the Student Affairs Office, which is located in Engleman Hall A106.

financial aid The university awards a limited amount of financial aid to matriculated students who can demonstrate financial need. The priority date for the submission of the Free Application for 90

student serViCes

Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is March 5. The basic premise for financial assistance is to assist a student in meeting their university charges. Please note that an application for financial aid (FAFSA) does not guarantee that the student will receive enough aid to cover all university costs. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all semester charges are paid by university deadlines. Applicants who file their FAFSA after the priority date decrease their chances of receiving gift aid (state/federal grants). Incomplete applications will not be considered for financial aid. All students who want to be considered for financial aid for the upcoming academic year should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) via the Web at This application will serve as the university application for financial aid. If the FAFSA is selected for verification by the federal processor, students will be asked, in writing, to submit a signed copy of both their Federal income tax return and their parents’ Federal income tax return, along with a Verification Worksheet. Additional documentation may be requested from families in certain cases. Private scholarships Students receiving outside scholarships must submit a copy of their scholarship notification as soon as possible to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, which is located in the Wintergreen Building. Veterans’ Benefits Veterans should contact the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs in Engleman Hall, Room B018, (203) 392-6822, to determine if they are eligible for educational veterans’ benefits. All veterans’ benefits are considered a financial resource.

identification Card: Hoot Loot Card The Southern Hoot Loot ID Card is the primary university identification card, mandatory for all students. In addition, the card provides access to residence halls, meal plans and computer labs and functions as your library card. The card also contains your unique eight-digit university identification number. Students currently registered (or paying the continuous enrollment fee) may obtain the Southern Hoot Loot ID Card by visiting the University Card Office, located in the Wintergreen Building. Students should bring proof of registration or enrollment (a current bill printout) and another form of photo ID for verification. Normal hours of operation are Monday, 8 am to 6 pm; Tuesday through Thursday, 8 am to 4:30 pm; and Friday, 8 am–4 pm. The Southern Hoot Loot ID Card can also act as an optional campus debit card, allowing students additional privileges and services at Southern. With use of this campus debit account, students can deposit money into their Hoot Loot account to make purchases at various locations on and off campus. If they choose to do so, they can enjoy the convenience of purchasing from the following: • Southern Barnes & Noble Bookstore • On-campus snack and soda machines • Laundry services (for residents)

student serViCes


• Bus trips and other campus activities • Participating local stores and restaurants Students who have questions about Hoot Loot or who would like to add money to their Hoot Loot accounts over the phone, should call (203) 392-7077. For additional information about Hoot Loot or to add money to the Hoot Loot Card from a secure Web site, visit Report lost or stolen cards to the University Card Office during normal business hours by calling (203) 392-7077. After business hours, report lost or stolen cards to the University Police at (203) 392-5375. There will be a $10 fee for the first replacement card and a $20 fee for each additional card thereafter.

inter-faith office The Inter-Faith Office considers spiritual growth an important part of personal development. Several chaplains are active on campus, enabling students to make appointments. Students may also stop by the Inter-Faith Office, Adanti Student Center, to ask for assistance.

Lactation room To help students balance the demands of their studies and parenthood, the university now provides a Lactation Room. The Lactation Room is located in the Women’s Lounge in Connecticut Hall on the first floor. This private room contains a rocker and a wash area. Students who need a quiet, welcoming space in which to pump breast milk may use the Lactation Room. Students interested in using the Lactation Room should call Catherine Christy, Women’s Center, at (203) 392-6946, or e-mail, for room registration details.

Library The Hilton C. Buley Library is the hub of learning activity on campus. Library resources total more than 600,000 items, including books, periodicals, DVDs, CDs, government documents, curriculum and instructional materials. Viewing/listening stations are available for library patron use. Headsets can be checked out at the Circulation Desk. The Library’s Special Collections includes a collection of books, papers and documents on the state’s history. The Hilton C. Buley Library home page is Circulation Library patrons, who are currently enrolled or conducting research for a thesis or course completion, can check out material using their Hoot Loot card. The loan period is normally four weeks and may be renewed twice. Materials can be renewed by telephone (203) 392-5756 or online at Library patrons will need to establish a PIN in order to access their library records. fines and Penalties Students should be aware of the return date for each book they check out. Fines on overdue books are posted at the Circulation/Reserve Desk. Borrowers who lose a book should report its


student serViCes

loss immediately and are responsible for its replacement, including a non-refundable processing fee. All library charges for lost or overdue books must be paid as they occur or a block will be placed, preventing a student’s future registration privileges and requests for transcripts. interlibrary Loan Students may request materials from one of the other CSUS libraries online through CONSULS. These inter-campus loans can usually be picked up within one week. The library also participates in an interlibrary loan network that allows borrowing of most materials not available in the CSUS libraries through an international database (ILL). ILL request forms are available at the Circulation Desk or online at Allow three weeks for processing. Library Hours During the fall and spring semesters, the library is open Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 am-4:30 pm; Saturdays, 9:00 am-5:00 pm; Sundays, 1:00 pm-9:00 pm. Hours during the summer, holiday and intersession periods vary and are posted on the library home page. Library instruction Librarians teach classes and workshops to aid students in conducting research. Presentations are offered on search strategies and selection of appropriate research information using both print and online resources. Formal presentations in specific subject areas are arranged by teaching faculty for individual classes. General orientation tours of Buley Library are offered at the beginning of each semester. Periodicals The library subscribes to approximately 950 print journals and provides access to more than 47,000 electronic journals. Current issues are on the shelves surrounding the Ground Floor Periodicals Reading Room. Back issues are maintained either in bound volumes, microfilm or microfiche, as noted in CONSULS, the Connecticut State University Library System online catalog. Microform reader/printers are available for using materials in microfilm and microfiche format, including back files of journals, newspapers, theses and literature collections. Photocopiers Photocopiers are located on ground and first floors of the library. Library users are expected to observe copyright laws. reference and information services The main floor of Buley Library features a professionally staffed Reference Desk where librari-

student serViCes


ans provide research assistance in utilizing CONSULS (the Connecticut State University Library System online catalog), more than 150 online research databases, the Internet and the 40,000volume reference collection. Library reserve materials Reserve materials are available in both print and electronic formats. Most print reserve materials circulate for an hour at a time and may be requested at the Circulation Desk. Some reserve materials can be checked out overnight and should be returned by 9:00 am the next day. Electronic reserves are available from the Web at and can be accessed 24/7 from on or off-campus. Library patrons will need to establish a PIN in order to access reserves.

Lost and found The university is not responsible for the loss of personal property. The lost and found service is located in the University Police Department. Such articles should be turned in or claimed at this office.

John Lyman Center for the Performing arts Events in Lyman Center are scheduled through the Lyman Center Office. The staff is available to meet with prospective users to discuss support services and/or fees associated with using the facility. Prospective users may also contract through the Lyman Center Box Office for specialized services, which include ordering and printing tickets for events and hiring trained personnel for their box office operations.

mail Both campus and out-going mail can be left at the Mail Services Department in the Wintergreen Building. Messages for faculty members can be left in their mailboxes located in each department office. Only residence hall students are assigned mailboxes. Stamps can be purchased at the book store in the Adanti Student Center.

multi-Cultural Center The Multi-Cultural Center serves as a resource for the university and the community, promoting an awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity. It sponsors outreach programs with area schools and conducts art exhibitions, film programs, lectures and conferences. In addition, the center houses an extensive book and video library. The Multi-Cultural Center, located in the Adanti Student Center, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

new student orientation Orientation is designed to provide new students with information they will need to have a successful first year at Southern. First-time college students (freshmen) who will be attending Southern Connecticut State University in the fall semester must attend one of five New


student serViCes

Student Orientations sessions scheduled during the summer. These sessions will provide students with information critical to their academic success, allow new students to network with professional faculty and staff, socialize with their peers, and register for their fall courses. In addition, students learn the value of a liberal education, experience the history and culture of the university, and have an opportunity to learn from our Orientation Ambassadors, who are extensively trained student leaders. Orientation opportunities are available for new and transfer students entering the university during spring semester. A special orientation for transfer students will be held at the start of every fall and spring semester. Transfer Student Orientation is designed to acclimate college students to Southern Connecticut State University. This one-day program is filled with information critical to the success of transfer students. For more information, visit our Web site,

notary Public A notary public is available to students in the Adanti Student Center Main Office, room 325, during posted hours.

office of information technology-support services (oit) The Office of Information Technology (OIT) supports all computing related to Southern coursework. The administrative offices are located in Office Building 1 with the primary computer labs operating in both Buley Library and Jennings Hall. The equipment consists of up-to-date PC and Macintosh computers loaded with current versions of popular software, as well as software required for coursework. A Hoot Loot card is required for printing in any of the labs. Blackand-white and color printing is available for a fee, with payment via Hoot Loot card only. Students will need their network ID username and password to access this equipment, and university e-mail and campus portal services. If you do not know your ID and password, or they need to be changed, please bring your student ID to either Buley Library or Jennings Hall lab rooms or contact the Help Desk at (203) 392-5123. The staffed hours of operation during the regular semester for Jennings Hall and Buley Library are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The labs are open additional hours without staff. For more information, please contact Director John Young at (203) 392-6279.

records/registrar’s office The Registrar’s Office, located in the Wintergreen Building, is responsible for registration add/drops, withdrawals, and the maintenance of official academic records. The office also compiles the Dean’s List, processes transcripts and certification for teachers, and handles Social Security and other government forms. Forms for change of address, certification, transcripts, and applications for a degree are available in the office and on the Web.

student serViCes


recreational facilities Recreational facilities available to university students include the Adanti Student Center, Pelz Gymnasium, Moore Fieldhouse, and various athletic fields. Information and brochures describing recreation activities, intramural offerings, and club sports may be obtained in the Student Life Office, room 213, Adanti Student Center. See Adanti Student Center section, page 99, for details on joining the Southern Fitness Center located on the second floor of the Adanti Student Center.

recycling Southern Connecticut State University is committed to being a good citizen, and part of being a good citizen is environmental stewardship. Look for the “Give a Hoot, Please Recycle� logo on recycling containers throughout the Southern Campus. Make a commitment to do your part to separate recyclables from non-recyclable materials. For information regarding the recycling program, visit our Web site at or contact Heather Stearns, Recycling Coordinator, at (203) 392-6931.

residence Life Residence Life provides on-campus housing to full-time students who demonstrate satisfactory academic progress. The primary purpose of the residence life program is to offer safe, comfortable housing that assists students to be academically and personally successful. Residents are encouraged to become involved in hall and campus activities, develop lifelong friendships, and participate in experiences that will enhance skills for future employment. Residence hall and apartment communities are staffed by full-time professionals, graduate interns, trained undergraduate community coordinators/advisers, and student employees. Staff members provide assistance with referrals to campus resources, developing hall communities, mediating roommate disagreements, responding to emergency situations, and providing educational and social programs. Several housing options are available, including traditional double rooms, suites, and apartments. West Campus, Farnham, Chase, Wilkinson, Neff, and Hickerson halls offer double and triple rooms with community bathrooms. West Campus and Brownell offer suite-style rooms with private bathrooms. These communities are alcohol-free housing. Residents living in these communities are required to purchase a meal plan. Meal plans can be used at Connecticut Hall (main dining facility), the Adanti Student Center, and convenience stores throughout campus. Upper-class students may request residence in Brownell (suite-style rooms with private bathrooms), Schwartz (six-person apartments with private bathrooms and full kitchens), and North Campus Complex (four-person apartments and townhouses with private bathrooms and full kitchens.) Residence halls and on-campus apartments offer a variety of amenities including furnished rooms and apartments, convenient access to classrooms and offices, local phone service, ResNet (Internet access) for each student, digital cable, microfridge units in rooms and suites, and refrigerators, stoves, and microwaves in apartments. Selected locations offer in-room air conditioners, building computer labs, and study and social lounges. All on-campus residents are expected to abide by the terms in the Residential Rights and 96

student serViCes

Responsibilities and Residence Hall Contract. Both documents are available on the Residence Life Web site. Students may request on-campus housing by contacting the Residence Life Office, Schwartz Hall, room 100, on-line at or call (203) 392-5869.

r.i.d.e.s: reducing individual dangers and encouraging safety R.I.D.E.S. is a safe rides program designed to offer students a responsible mode of transportation when needed. R.I.D.E.S. is available 24 hours a day and can be used for any reason, no questions asked. It is especially designed for circumstances when a student might lack cash, but need to get out of an unsafe or uncomfortable situation. For more information on the program, contact the DARC office at (203) 392-5087.

sexuality and Gender equality (saGe) Center The Sexuality and Gender Equality Center (SAGE) — Southern’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning and allies (LGBTIQQA) center — provides positive academic and cultural support for all persons of sexual diversity including students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae and university guests. To achieve that goal, the center provides a safe communal space, personal support, resource information, relevant programming and positive acknowledgement of the LGBTIQQA community and its equality in the world today. The SAGE Center works to create a campus atmosphere of tolerance and understanding that is open and accepting — and free from the oppressive forces of homophobia, heterosexism and gender bias. Programming events include lectures, discussions, social events, films and other presentations throughout the academic year. The SAGE Center is located in Schwartz Hall, Room 2, Garden Level. For more information, call (203) 392-8989.

scheduling office for non-Class Programs and events The Scheduling Office coordinates scheduling and support services for classroom space and outdoor areas for non-class programs and events. The staff is available to meet with prospective users to discuss support services and/or fees associated with any of the available facilities. The office is located in John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts, room 116. For information, call (203) 392-6165.

student serViCes


scholarships, alumni association There are more than 180 Southern scholarships that cover a variety of majors, extracurricular interests, community activities and financial need. Contact the Alumni Relations Office at (203)392-6500 with questions or check online at

speech/Hearing Clinic The Center for Communication Disorders assists any student who needs help with a speech, voice, language or hearing problem or who wants to improve their proficiency in spoken English. Located in DA 012, the center is open from Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 7:00 pm, and Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The center is staffed by licensed, certified speechlanguage pathologists and audiologists and by graduate student clinicians from the Department of Communication Disorders. Appointments can be made in person or by calling (203) 392-5955.

student Center The Michael J. Adanti Student Center is a modern,125,000-square-foot, multi-purpose facility located on the corner of Crescent and Fitch streets, easily accessible from the Alumni Footbridge. With fantastic views of West Rock and the campus, large sun-filled atriums and outdoor patios, the four-story building is the hearth and home of campus life, a place where students, faculty and staff can meet on common ground. The Adanti Student Center provides educational, cultural, social and recreational programs that complement education outside the classroom. Equally exciting, the center provides an opportunity to strengthen ties to off-campus entities such as corporations, arts organizations and civic and professional groups through conferences, exhibitions and similar collaborative events. The Adanti Student Center is the home of a state-of-the-art fitness center, a fireplace, quiet study lounge, a grand ballroom, a 200-seat movie theatre, the Barnes & Noble Bookstore, a computer lab, a game room, a Dunkin’ Donuts and three dining establishments: Sbarro Pizza, Coyote Jack’s and Mondo Subs. The center has multiple lounges and meeting rooms, a Tyco Copy Center, Hamden Federal Credit Union banking service and a satellite station for campus police, as well as office space for clubs and organizations. In addition, the student center offers a Resource/Information Center and access to e-mail terminals, wireless services and a computer loan program for commuter students. The Adanti Student Center offers meeting rooms to suit every need, whether the occasion is a casual, small-group gathering or a formal dinner and reception. The student center also accommodates large conferences as well as break-out sessions. All rooms feature upscale furnishings, state-of-the-art audio-visual components and wireless/computer accessibility. The ballroom is 7,000 square feet of space that provides an elegant yet versatile venue for signature events such as academic and business conferences, formal dances or dinners. It is also the perfect setting for activities that attract a large gathering, from career fairs and open houses to religious services.


student serViCes

To make a reservation, contact the Michael J. Adanti Student Center at (203) 392-5500 or go to our virtual site,, to make your reservation online. All clubs and organizations must reserve their space early. The center ask that users plan their scheduled meetings one semester in advance. Reservations will be available in November for the following spring semester and in April for the fall semester. michael J. adanti student Center Hours of operation Monday-Friday, 7:00am –11:00pm Saturday, 8:00am – 5:30pm Sunday, 2:00pm –10:00pm fitness Center The Southern Fitness Center is a 7,500square-foot facility located on the second floor of the Michael J. Adanti Student Center. It is designed to provide a positive environment for members to engage in moderate exercise and improve or maintain their desired level of personal fitness. Facility includes: • Variety of cardiovascular equipment and selectorized weight machines. • Plate-loaded machines and free weights ranging from two to 100 pounds. • Accessory equipment including stability balls, jump ropes, resistance bands, etc., are also available. • A stretching/abs space as well as a cycling room and a group exercise room allow for a complete workout for members. Use of the facility is limited to current members. Membership All current Southern students, faculty, and staff are eligible to purchase a membership for the Fitness Center. Memberships include unlimited use of the Fitness Center during operational hours, a fitness orientation, and access to group exercise classes as well as incentive programs. Other services may be available at an additional cost. For the most up-to-date information on cost of membership, hours of operation, policies, and procedures, and how to join, visit the Fitness Center Web site,

student serViCes


student membership on university Committees Students in good academic standing are eligible to serve as representatives on student-faculty committees. These joint membership committees focus on significant areas of university community life and share in policy development. Interested students should consult with the Student Government Association, Adanti Student Center, Room 239, or with the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, for information regarding membership on a committee.

student supportive services Located in Engleman Hall B 018, the Student Supportive Services Central Office provides an array of academic and personal services for undergraduate and graduate students, including international students, veterans, non-traditional students, minority students, and students with disabilities. There are also program initiatives that offer academic enhancement services to middle and high school students. Programs in student skills development, remediation, tutorial services, advisement, and counseling are also available. For additional information note the following: office of study skills enrichment Located in Engleman Hall B 018 and C 016, the Office of Study Skills Enrichment is open to all Southern students regardless of enrollment status. Each semester, staff members provide a series of workshops designed to help students develop their study skills and scholastic habits to promote academic success. The Office of Study Skills Enrichment provides additional services such as assistance with academic planning, individual assessment, follow-up, and referrals. Materials are available in the form of reading resources, self-assessment tools, and videotaped workshops. The staff of the Office of Study Skills Enrichment develops and presents scheduled workshops for the campus community. For more information, call Tom Colby at (203) 392-6818 or e-mail Campus tutorial Center Located in Engleman Hall A 014, the center offers individual and small-group assistance for many introductory-level courses. Tutorials are offered on a drop-in basis throughout the semester, and the services are free. For information regarding subjects and schedule, call Tom Ferrucci at (203) 392-6824 or e-mail For additional information, see Campus Writing Center Located in Engleman Hall A 012, the Campus Writing Center provides general consultation and assists students in finding ways to address writing concerns with the goal of promoting confident, self-reliant student writers. This is a free service. For information or appointments, call Tom Ferrucci at (203) 392-6824 or e-mail For additional information, see ConnCaP (Connecticut Collegiate awareness and Preparation) Program Located in Engleman B 006, the Connecticut Collegiate Awareness and Preparation Program


student serViCes

(ConnCAP) is an early intervention enrichment program that is the result of a collaborative partnership between Southern, the Connecticut Department of Higher Education, and the New Haven Public Schools. ConnCAP engages middle and high school students in a meaningful learning experience to enhance their basic skills, critical thinking, social competencies, and exposure to college experiences. ConnCAP is geared toward improving the student's chances of competing in an advanced society by offering enrichment classes in mathematics, science, history, the visual arts, and English. Students enrolled in ConnCAP participate in a six-week summer program, an after-school tutorial program, and a Saturday academy program. For more information, please call Marvis Brown-Arnold at (203) 392-5575 or e-mail ConnCas (Connecticut Collegiate access and success) Located in Engleman Hall B 018, the Connecticut Collegiate Access and Success program (ConnCAS) is an intensive experience for graduating high school seniors who wish to attend the university the following academic year. The program, which has a five-week summer component, is designed to refine academic skills, acquaint the student with the university and its procedures and raise the level of preparedness for collegiate work. Those students who complete the program successfully are provided with academic support, monitoring, and advisement during their time at the university. For more information, call Paula Waite at (203) 3926814 or e-mail the disability resource Center Located in Engleman Hall C 105, the Disability Resource Center (DRC) works to fulfill Southern’s longstanding commitment to the full inclusion and equal educational opportunity for all persons with disabilities. The DRC provides services and support that promote educational equity for students with disabilities. Assistance includes arranging accommodations and auxiliary aids necessary for students with disabilities to pursue their academic careers, both in and outside of the classroom. The DRC serves all students with documented disabilities that substantially impact them in educational settings. Students with documented disabilities, visible or hidden, qualify for

student serViCes


services. Categories of disability include, but are not limited to the following: mobility/orthopedic disabilities, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, vision and hearing impairments, acquired head injuries, psychological disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, and chronic health-related disabilities. DRC services include arranging course and testing accommodations; providing accessibility information; arranging for sign language interpreters, readers, and/or note-takers; providing help with recruitment of personal assistants; assisting with the development of compensatory skills, such as time management, organization, and study skills; providing access to assistive technology, distance learning, and alternate formats; providing self-advocacy and selfdetermination information and training. Students interested in obtaining more information should contact the DRC by stopping by our office, located in Engleman C 105, or by calling (203) 392-6828, 392-6131 TTY, (203) 3926829 FAX or by visiting our Web site at note: Only one classroom on campus is inaccessible to persons with mobility limitations. If a course is scheduled in Davis 102, students are urged to inform the DRC as soon as possible to ensure relocation of the class to an accessible location by the start of the semester. eoP (the educational opportunity Program) Located in Engleman Hall B 222, EOP is designed to recruit, counsel, and advise academically promising undergraduates who have the desire, motivation and willingness to assume responsibility for achieving their academic potential. EOP provides a friendly atmosphere where students can talk with their counselors, find useful information about university policies, deadlines, and events, and meet other students. For additional information, call Diane Rosner at (203) 392-6812 or e-mail 102

student serViCes

Gear uP (Gaining early awareness and readiness for undergraduate Programs) Located in the Wintergreen Building, this program is a funded initiative to ensure that lowincome students are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. For more information, call (203) 392-5599. international students Located in the Adanti Student Center 231, the International Office provides immigration, academic and personal advising services to students from all over the world. It serves as an informational center to undergraduate and graduate foreign students on their legal responsibility to the federal government, the State of Connecticut, and Southern Connecticut State University. This office also helps provide the multi-national and multi-cultural flavor intrinsic to the university’s mission by fostering international friendship and understanding. For more information, call Aliya Amin at (203) 392-6821 or (203) 392-6947. E-mail non-traditional students Located in Engleman Hall B 018, the Office for Non-Traditional Students offers personal and career counseling, academic advisement, and a peer support program for non-traditional students. Included in this category are older students ranging in age from 22 to 60, those returning to college after raising a family, and those looking to change their careers. For information, call Jack Mordente at (203) 392-6822 or e-mail seoP (summer educational opportunity Program) Located in Engleman Hall B 222, this five-week program helps students refine their skills before being accepted into the university. All participants live on campus, attend classes, and explore campus life together. SEOP students enjoy the camaraderie of a cohesive group and at the same time, receive a number of academic advantages, including individualized academic counseling, small classes, and personal attention from faculty and staff. For information, call Diane Rosner at (203) 392-6812 or e-mail Veteran’s services Located in Engleman Hall B 018, this office provides veterans with counseling, academic advisement, guidance on the GI Bill, tuition waiver certification, and assistance in dealing with the Veteran’s Administration. The university urges all veterans attending Southern to visit this office and take advantage of its many services. For more information, call Jack Mordente at (203) 392-6822 or e-mail

telephones/Public Phones/Courtesy Phones Southern provides five public phones on campus from which local calls can be made by members of the university community and the general public for FREE. They are located at the following campus sites: John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts (one courtesy phone is located in the main lobby near the box office sales window, and another is located in the back hallway outside of the Kendall Drama Lab); the Connecticut Hall lobby; the Adanti Student Center info desk, and the Schwartz Hall lobby.

student serViCes


student-uniVersitY reLations academic Honesty Academic honesty is the cornerstone of higher education. An honest approach to one’s work is the only approach — in the laboratory, in research or in examinations. Cheating of any kind is, and must be, condemned by all members of a college community. Violations Behavior that falls under the heading of academic dishonesty includes the following: A. The use of illicit aids during examination periods; B. The giving and receiving of aid on any examinations; C. Copying from another student’s examination, term paper, laboratory report, etc.; D. The falsification of work or records; E. The theft of course materials; F. Plagiarism: Plagiarism is using the words or ideas of another writer and presenting them as 104

student-uniVersitY reLations

your own. It is a kind of academic theft and is therefore dishonest. Once your name appears on an essay or term paper, you are stating that the ideas and language in the paper that are not attributed to another are entirely your own and that the reader assumes that these are your work. An obvious form of plagiarism is copying the exact words from your source without providing quotation marks and without giving credit to the source, usually in a footnote. A less obvious but equally dishonest form of plagiarism is the changing of a few words (paraphrasing) or using of an author’s original idea without properly introducing and documenting that change or usage. The ideas, interpretations and words of an author belong to the author. They are the author’s property. They are protected by law, and they must be acknowledged whenever you borrow them.

student Bill of rights Southern Connecticut State University exists to communicate knowledge, to encourage scholarship, to develop responsible students, to contribute to the worth and dignity of humankind, to add to the general well-being of society and, ultimately, to advance the pursuit of truth. To accomplish these goals, Southern has created an atmosphere in which education extends beyond the formal classroom situation — an atmosphere that encourages individual development within a strong but flexible structure. With this structure as their common base, the student and the university work together to educate and develop the student to their fullest capacity. As citizens, students enjoy the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Connecticut and have the same duties and responsibilities as other citizens. academic evaluation and instruction Each student has the right to be evaluated entirely on the basis of their academic performance and to have this right guaranteed by orderly, clearly defined procedures. Students have the right of access to the evaluation of their performance so they can know their strengths and weaknesses. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain academic standards, to understand the procedures for evaluation and to function accordingly. Each student has the right to expect a professor to present course content that is relevant to their academic discipline. Moreover, each student has the right to expect a professor to be adequately prepared for class and to be accessible for individual conference. It is the responsibility of the student to seek individual help when needed and to keep up with their studies in order to understand fully the nature of the material presented. There shall be a means established for student evaluation of course and instruction. amendments Amendments to this Bill of Rights must be ratified by the Student Government, the Faculty Senate and the Administration. association Students bring to the campus a variety of interests and, as members of the academic commu-

student-uniVersitY reLations


nity, they shall be free to develop new interests. They shall be free to organize and to join associations in accordance with university policies to promote their common interests. 1. The membership, policies and actions of a student organization shall be determined by vote of only those members who are currently registered at the university. 2. Student organizations that have acquired institutional recognition shall be free to affiliate with any university and non-university organization with which the student organization shares common interests and goals, providing that such organizations do not contradict the Student Bill of Rights and abide by the rules and regulations of the university. 3. Each student organization shall be free to recommend a faculty adviser. Faculty advisers shall be members of the university and shall advise organizations in the exercise of their responsibilities as they function in line with their purposes, but they shall not have the authority to control the policy of such organizations. 4. Student organizations organized in accordance with university policies shall be required to submit for approval a statement of purpose, criteria for membership, rules of procedure, a current list of officers and members to the Office of Student Life, ASC 213. Classroom Each student is free to take reasoned and reasonable exception, without interference to data and views presented in any course and to reserve judgment in matters of opinion. The learning process involves more than mastering course content; it should also involve development of motivation to learn and guidance in independent study while encouraging students to develop to their fullest potential. The student’s concurrent responsibility is to exercise their freedom of expression in an orderly manner that reflects thought, scholarly analysis, courtesy and knowledge of the course material. Curriculum revision and evaluation All members of the university (faculty, students and administrators) shall be free to present proposals for curricular revisions and evaluation. Each of the above three must recognize that curricular revision and evaluation entails perceiving the scope of the entire university. The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee — composed of students, faculty and administrators — shall channel proposals to the appropriate office or department.


student-uniVersitY reLations

discrimination All students shall be assured that university rules, regulations and policies (including classes, athletics, facilities, student housing and student organizations) will be in full compliance with state and federal legislation granting equal protection of the law regardless of religious creed, race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability. Governance Students may serve on various official university boards and committees. Through this participation, students perform the invaluable function of improving communications between the student body and the university faculty and administration. These student representatives bring the opinions and concerns of the entire student community into focus on particular areas of committee responsibilities, so as to define and achieve the goals of the university as a whole and enrich the individual lives of all its members. Privacy Each student has the right to privacy, and this right shall not be violated by other occupants, employees or administrative personnel. Although it is recognized that administrative personnel may supervise and inspect for cleanliness, health, safety and maintenance, they shall not engage in any search of personal possessions of students. If such a search is deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Affairs, it shall first be authorized by the university President. Prior to any such search, every effort shall be made to notify the student concerned. If it is not possible to inform the student of the search and/or if they are not available to be present, the student should be immediately informed of its outcome. Protest Southern students and student organizations shall have the right to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them, to express opinion publicly and privately and to support causes by orderly means. They may organize public demonstrations and protest gatherings and utilize the right to petition. Students do not have the right to deprive others of the opportunity to speak or be heard, to damage the property of others, to invade the privacy of others, to disrupt the regular and essential operation of the university or to interfere with the rights of others.

student-uniVersitY reLations


Policy resolution on Campus freedom and order by the Board of trustees for the Connecticut state university Be It Resolved That the Board of Trustees: • Affirms and supports for the university the concepts of freedom of thought, inquiry, speech and lawful assembly; • Affirms the right of individuals and groups in the university to assemble, to dissent, to picket and to demonstrate on the university campuses within the limits of administrative guidelines or regulations; and • Affirms the right of all individuals and groups at all times to pursue their normal activities within the university and to be protected from physical injury or property damage. Be It Further Resolved: That the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State Universities hereby declares that the following are forms of conduct contrary to the purposes and well-being of the Connecticut State Universities and are prohibited. Such conduct provides grounds for disciplinary proceedings leading to probation, suspension or expulsion and to resort to enforcement agencies when necessary. 1. Interfering with the freedom of any person to express their views, including invited speakers; 2. Disrupting the orderly conduct of instruction, research, administration, disciplinary proceedings or other university activities; 3. Interfering, in any manner whatsoever, with the access to or exit from any university campus or the buildings, classrooms, libraries, meeting rooms, offices or other premises that are duly open to members of the campus community or to other persons; 4. Occupying or utilizing without authorization any building or facility or portion thereof; 5. Damaging or destroying property or removing or using such property without authorization; 6. Possessing of firearms or detaining any person or removing such person from any place where they are authorized personnel; 7. Physically restraining or detaining any person or removing such person from any place where they are authorized or otherwise free to remain and; 8. Failing to comply with direction of Southern officials acting in performance of their duties. the news media Student publications and other news media are recognized as a valuable aid in establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of free and responsible discussion and of intellectual exploration on the campus. It is a further recognized function of such publications and other news media to serve as a vehicle for exposition of opinions of the university community. Students have the right to express opinions in campus publications and via other news media without fear of reprisal. 1. The amount of financial support given each publication and other news media shall be recommended by the Student Media Board and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. 2. Having cognizance of the requirement for truth and accuracy in whatever is published or reported, the student news media shall be free of censorship. The right to freedom of expression must be governed by the rules of responsible journalism and reporting and shall be recognized as a requirement for each publication or other news media. Included in this basic tenet of journalism are: (1) the obligation to present accurate and correct information;


student-uniVersitY reLations

(2) the opportunity for expression by all members of the university; (3) the right of “equal time” for all sides of an issue. speakers and topics Student organizations shall be allowed to invite and to hear any person of their own choosing. The university’s control of campus facilities and the allocation of funds for guest speakers shall not be used as a device of censorship. Any routine procedures required before a guest speaker is invited to appear shall be designed only to ensure that there are no conflicts in the scheduling of speakers or facilities, that proper facilities are used, that there is adequate preparation for the event and that the occasion is conducted in a manner appropriate to an academic community. It shall be made clear to the academic and larger community that sponsorship of guest speakers does not necessarily imply approval or endorsement of the views expressed, either by the sponsoring group or by Southern Connecticut State University. student records and disclosure Southern Connecticut State University shall have a carefully considered policy as to the information that shall be a part of a student’s permanent educational record and as to the conditions of its disclosure. To minimize the risk of improper disclosure, academic and disciplinary records shall be separate and the conditions of access to each shall be set forth in an explicit policy statement. Data from disciplinary and counseling files shall not be available to unauthorized persons on campus or to any unauthorized persons off campus without the express con-

student-uniVersitY reLations


sent of the student involved, except under lawful compulsion or in cases where the safety of persons or property is involved. 1. Academic records are permanently on file at Southern Connecticut State University. No records shall be kept that reflect the political activities or political beliefs of students. Provision shall also be made for routine destruction of disciplinary records at a specific time after graduation. Administrative staff, student personnel officers and non-professional staff shall respect the confidential information about students that they acquire in the course of their work. 2. Students shall be aware that persons given for personal reference or recommendations are legally free to give any relevant information required by the reference. 3. Personal and disciplinary records of students who leave the university without graduating may be saved for reference in the event a student applies for re-admission to Southern Connecticut State University.

student Grievances definition of Grievance A student grievance shall be defined as a violation of a student’s rights as set forth in the Student Bill of Rights contained in this handbook. It is further defined as a difference, complaint or dispute resulting from alleged administrative or academic injustice or regarding the interpretation and application of university policy and/or procedures. Academic injustice is not to be construed to include the change of a student’s grade. Procedures for grade appeals are outlined elsewhere in this handbook. (See pages 14 - 17.)

student Code of Conduct Academic institutions exist for the transmission of knowledge, the pursuit of truth, the development of students and the general well being of society. In line with this purpose, the univer-


student-uniVersitY reLations

sity has the duty to protect the freedoms of inquiry and expression and furthermore has the responsibility to encourage all of its members to develop the capacity for critical judgment in their sustained and independent search for truth. The Connecticut State University System has certain self-defined institutional values. Principal among these values is respect for the dignity, rights, and individuality of each member of the university community. The opportunity to live, study, and work in an institution which values diverse intellectual and cultural perspectives and encourages discussion and debate about competing ideas in an atmosphere of civility is a basic component of quality higher education. All members of the university community must at all times govern their social and academic interactions with tolerance and mutual respect so that the men and women who pass through the university’s doors are enriched by these experiences and are prepared for full and enlightened participation in a multi-cultural society. Because of the university’s commitment to principles of pluralism, mutual respect, and civility, certain activities are not acceptable on the university campus. Acts of intolerance, of hatred or violence based on race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender, age, or ethnic background, are antithetical to the university’s fundamental principles and values. It is the university’s responsibility to secure the students’ right to learn by establishing an environment of civility. The disciplinary process is intended to be part of the educational mission of the CSU System. Student disciplinary proceedings are not criminal proceedings and are not subject to court rules of procedure and evidence. This Student Code of Conduct and Statement of Disciplinary Procedures is intended to present a clear statement of student rights and responsibilities and to set forth the disciplinary procedures established by the Connecticut State University System (“CSUS”) to protect those rights and address the abdication of those responsibilities. The Code describes the types of acts that are not acceptable in an academic community, as well as the general processes by which the commission of those acts will be addressed. Students must be aware that, as citizens, they are subject to all federal and state laws in addition to all university regulations governing student conduct and responsibilities. Students do not relinquish their rights or shed their responsibilities as citizens by becoming members of the CSUS community. This Student Code of Conduct and Statement of Disciplinary Procedures can be found online at: and

student-uniVersitY reLations


direCtorY absences, Class . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Your instructor absences, extended medical . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Counseling Office/B 219 25475 academic advisement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F. Ladore/WT 154 28888, ams . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . L. DeLuca/WT 28862 accidents: Emergency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 911 University Police/GR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25375 Health Services/GR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26300 accounts Payable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WT 26844 adaptive technology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B. Zamfir/ENB017A 25798, adding Courses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar/WT 25301 alumni association . . . . . . . . . . . . Michelle Johnston/WT 170 26500, athletics, intercollegiate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MFH 203 26047, audio/Visual equipment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EN B 17 C 25400 auditing Course . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 Barnes & noble Bookstore . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . L. Gal/ASC Bookstore 25270, Billing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Waters /WT 27078, Business office . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Waters /WT 27078, Career services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Fadden/SZ 102 26536, Catering services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C. Heidel/CO 26987 Change of name or address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 Class advisers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Bentley-Drobish/ASC 25782, Closing university . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Weather Check (203) 392-SNOW(2-7669), (203) 392-5520 Clubs and organizations . . . . . . . . . . D. Bentley-Drobish/ASC 25782, Club sports . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E. LaCharity/ASC 25782, College Prep Program awareness . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M.Brown-Arnold/EN B0006 25575, CLeP exams . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Raffone/WT 26194, Commencement information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . P. Dilger/WT 26588,


Communication disorder Center . . . . . . . . . P. McMahon/DA 12 25954, K. McNamara/DA 12A 25982, Commuter student services . . . . . . . D. Stanton-Holmes/ASC 213 25501, Counseling services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EN 219A 25475 Credits transferred . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 dean’s List . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Academic Affairs/EN A112 25350 degree requirements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 dining services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Edgar/CO 26979, directory information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Directory Assistance 25200 or 392-5201 disability resource Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Fairchild/EN C105 26828, discipline, student . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C. Piscitelli/EN B 116 26188, diversity and equity Programs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .M. Smith-Glasper/SZ 100 25899 dropping Courses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar/WT 25301 discrimination issues . . . . . . . . . . . M. Smith-Glasper/SZ 100 25899, emergencies: Police, fire, medical Telephone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 911 Public Telephone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 392-5375 employment, off-Campus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Career Services/SZ 102 26536 employment, on-Campus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Career Services/SZ 102 26536 facilities, use of Athletic Facilities . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MFH 211 26003 Classrooms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LY 116 26165 Connecticut Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Ceneviva/ASC 25871, Lyman Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Starkey/LY 105 26163, Student Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ASC 308 25500, financial aid . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WT 25222 fitness Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Scibek/ASC 264 28971, food service operations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Ceneviva/ASC 25871, fund raising, Clubs . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Bentley-Drobish/ASC 25782, Good morning southern . . . . . . . . . . D. Stanton-Holmes/ASC 308 25500, Grade Change . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Your Instructor Grades, Problem with . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301



Graduate student affairs Committee . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A. Lucibello/LY 116 26165 Graduation, application for . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Records Office/WT 25301 Health services . . . . . . . . . Health Services/GR 26300, Hearing evaluations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Dempsey/DA 12G 25955, Honors College . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T. Gemme/EN B 225A 25499, Honors thesis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . K. Gorniak/EN 217 D 26784, Housing, on-Campus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A. Todaro/SZ 100 25870, identification (id) Cards (Hoot Loot) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WT 27077 independent study . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Academic Dean insurance, student . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bursar’s Office/WT 26140, international students . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A. Amin/ASC 231 26821, intramural sports . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E. LaCharity/ASC 227 25792, Learning resource Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BU 313 25713 Liberal studies Program . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C. Barrett/EN A212 26195, Loans, student Federal Perkins Loan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25222 Federal Stafford Loan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25222 Lost and found . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375 mail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WT 143 25268 medical Claim forms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Health Services/GR 26300 multicultural affairs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Brown-Albert/ASC 209 25879, musical activities . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EA 120A 26625 new england regional Program . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 new student orientation . . . . . . . . . . D.Bentley-Drobish/ASC 25782, non-traditional students . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Mordente/EN B018 26822, notary Public . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Schneider/ASC 308 25500, L. Pettie/ASC 231 27068, Parking Permits (off-Campus students) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375 Personal Problems . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Counseling Office/EN B 219A 25475 Police Walking escort services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375



Programs Council . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Stanton-Holmes/ASC 308 25500, recreation activities . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E. LaCharity/ASC 227 25792, refunds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bursar’s Office/WT 25328 registration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 religious services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Interfaith Office/ASC 228 25331 residency status . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25301 saGe Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SZ2 28989, scholarships, alumni association . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. Gilhuly/WT 26500 senior Citizen services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F. Ladore/WT 28888, sexual assault . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375 sexual Harassment . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Smith-Glasper/SZ 100 25899, shuttle Bus service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375 southern news . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ASC 225 26928 sports information/Publications . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MFH 210 26005 student Government . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SGA Office/ASC 222 26937 student media Board . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Mock/EN D241 25527, student supportive services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Barber/EN B018 26814, study abroad . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . L. Olson/EN B129 26756, teacher Certification . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DA 103 25906 thefts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . University Police/GR 25375 tuition and fees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Business Office/WT 26140 tutorial Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T. Ferrucci/EN A014 26824, tyco Copy Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ASC 25549 university Police . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Dooley/GR 25375, Vending machines, food . . . . . . . . . . . . . M. Ceneviva/ASC 325 25871, Verification of enrollment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT 25312 Veterans services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Mordente/EN B018 26822, Waiver examinations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Conte/WT 25307, Weather emergency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Weather Chek (203) 392-5520 (203) 392-SNOW Wellness office . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GR 47 26526,



Withdrawal, Courses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registrar’s Office/WT Withdrawal, from university . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M.Raffone/WT 26194, Women’s Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C. Christy/SZ 26946, Work-study Program . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J. Giordano/WT 25222, Wsin radio station . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WSIN Office/ASC 253 26930, Writing Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T. Ferrucci/EN A012 26824,



BuiLdinG aBBreViations aH

Admissions House


Adanti Student Center


Brownell Hall


Buley Library


Chase Hall


Connecticut Hall


Davis Hall


Earl Hall


Engleman Hall


Farnham Hall


Granoff Student Health Services


Hickerson Hall


Jennings Hall


Lang Social Work House


Lyman Center


Moore Fieldhouse


Morrill Hall


Neff Hall


North Campus Residence Complex


Orlando Health Sciences House


Old Student Center


Pelz Gym


Power Plant


Seabury Hall


Schwartz Hall


Temporary Bldgs.


West Campus


Wilkinson Hall


Wintergreen Bldg.



Appeals Committee for Traffic and Parking 32 Appeals. See Grade Appeal Procedures 15

a Absences From Class 9 Academic Adviser. See Selection of a Degree Program: Assignment to an Academic Adviser 24 Academic Computer Center. See Office of Information Technology – Support Services (OIT-SS) 95 Academic Evaluation. See Grading System 18, 105 Academic Groups and Organizations 64 Academic Honesty 104 Violations 104 Academic Programs 10

Application to a Department. See Selection of a Degree Program: Application to a Department 24 Athletics 70 Attendance in Class 11 Audio Visual/Television/Multi-Media Services 84 Auditing Courses. See Course Audit 12

B Bagel Wagon 90 Bicycles 27 Bill of Rights, Students 105

Academic Standings Policy 10

Bookstore 85

Accessibility to Campus Sponsored Events 69

Block Placed Against Registration. See Debts, Fines and Obligations 23

Adanti Student Center Food Court 89 Adaptive Technology. See Center for Adaptive Technology 88

Bursar’s Office 85 Business Office. See Bursar’s Office 85

Adding/Dropping Courses. See Registration Procedures: Add/Drops 22

Bus Service 62, 87

Administration 4


Admissions. See Fresh Start Option 14

Campus Parking and Traffic Regulations 29 Enforcement 32 Traffic And Parking Appeals Committee 32 Traffic And Parking Regulations 30 Vehicle Registration 30

Admissions. See New England Regional Student Program 20 Admissions. See Applications for Readmission 10 Adviser’s Responsibilities 83 Alcohol and Drug Policies 49 Alcohol 50 Drugs 51 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act — Parental Notification 49 Legal Sanctions 52 Alcohol 52 Drugs 52 Program Review 50 118

Application, Readmission 10

Campus Tutorial Center. 100 Car Registration. See Vehicle Registration 30 Career Services 87 Career Development Programs 87 Career Fairs 87 Career Resource Computer Lab 87 Cooperative Education 87

Center for Adaptive Technology 88 Change of Address 11 Childcare Reimbursement Program 88 Class Cancellation Advisory 11 Class Designation 12 Class Government. See Councils and Governing Organizations: Class Governments 65 Closing of the University 54 Clubs. See Student Activities 64 Code of Conduct, Student 110

Criteria used for Consolidation of a Fund-Raising Request 74 Crosswalks. See Traffic and Parking Regulations 30

d Day Care Service. See Childcare Reimbursement Program 88 Dean’s List 12 Dean of Student Affairs 90

Collection of Debt 86

Debts, Fines, and Obligations. See Course Withdrawal: Debts, Fines, and Obligations 23

Community Hour 88

Degree Application 13

Commuter Student Services 88

Degree Program. See Selection of a Degree Program 24

Commuter Computer Loan Program 88 Computer Systems Use. See Student Use of Computer Systems 47 ConnCAP. See Student Supportive Services: ConnCAP 101 ConnCAS. See Student Supportive Services: ConnCAS 101 Connecticut Hall 89 Contracts for Services 71 Cooperative Education. See Career Services: Cooperative Education 87 Councils and Governing Organizations 65 Class Governments 66 Greek Life Council 66 Inter-Residence Council 65 Programs Council 66 Student Government Association 65

Degree Requirements 13 Dining Services 89 Disability Resource Center 101 Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Policy 8, 107 Dropping a Course 22 Drug/Alcohol Education & Prevention Programs 51 Anti-Drinking and Driving 51 Drug & Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) 51 Individual Counseling and Referral 51 Self-Help Groups 51 Southern Task Force On Prevention (STOP) 51


Counseling Services 55

Educational Opportunity Program. See Student Supportive Services: EOP 102

Course Audit 12

Emergency Medical Assistance 55

Courses at Other Institutions 25

EOP 102

Course Withdrawals 22 Debts, Fines, and Obligations 23

Escort Service. See Walking Escort Service 55

Credit Load. See Semester Credit Load 22


Events by Recognized Student Organizations 71 Events, General Policies 72




F.E.R.P.A. (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) 49

Hazing Policy Statement 75

Financial Aid 90 Private Scholarships 91 Veterans’ Benefits 91 Financial Aid Refund Policy 27 Financial Aid Statement of Rights and Responsibilities 28

Health Center 56 Additional Requirement for On-Campus Residence Students 58 Health and Accident Insurance 58 Health Assistance Off Campus 58 Health Immunization Requirements 57

Financial Obligations. See Bursar’s Office 85

Health Risks 52 Drinking and Driving 52 Sexuality 52

Fines. See Debts, Fines and Obligations 23

History of the University 5

Fire Evacuation Procedures 56

Honorary and Service Organizations 67

First Year Experience 14

Honors 19

Fitness Center 99

Honors College 14

Food and Beverages 29

Honors Thesis 19

Food Services/Connecticut Hall 89

Hoot Loot (Identification Card) 91

Fraternities and Sororities 66

Housing. See Residence Life 96

Fresh Start Option 14 Fund-Raising Activities 73 Criteria used for Consideration of a Fund-Raising Request 74 General Policies for Fund-Raising 74 Procedures 73 Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations. See Recognition of New Student Organizations: Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations 80

i Identification Card (Hoot Loot) 91 Immunization. See Health Center: Health Immunization Requirements 57 Incomplete Courses 19 Independent Study 20 Indoor Safety 29 Information Requests 20

G GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) 103

Information Technology Support Services 95 Insurance. See Health Center: Health and Accident Insurance 58

Grade Changes. See Grade Appeal Procedures 15

Sports and Recreation Clubs 69

Grade Point Average 18

Inter-Faith Office 92

Grading System 18

International and Multicultural Groups 67

Greek Life Council 66

International Students 103

Grievances, Student 110

Internships 20 Intramural Sports 76



IRC—InterResidence Council 65

Midterm Grades 20

Irregular Schedule Petition. See Registration: Irregular Schedule Petition 21

Minimal GPA Standards 20


Multi-Cultural Center 94 Multi-Cultural Groups 67

Job Opportunities 87


John Lyman Center 94

New England Regional Student Program 20


New Student Organizations. See Recognition of New Student Organizations 78

Lactation Room 92

News Media 108

Legal Sanctions 52

New Student Orientation 95

Letter of Welcome 3

Non-Discrimination Policy 8

Letter of Welcome, Vice President for Student and University Affairs 63

Non-Traditional Students 103

Letter of Welcome, Assistant Vice President for Student and University Affairs 63 Library 92 Circulation 92 Fines & Penalties 92 Interlibrary Loan 93 Library Hours 93 Library Instruction 93 Periodicals 93 Photocopiers 93 Reference and Information Services 93 Reserve Materials 94

Notary Public 95

o Off-Campus Events 72 On-Campus Events 71 Organizations. See Recognition of New Student Organizations 78

P Parental Notification. See Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 49

Links Program 14

Parental Notification Guidelines 58

Lost and Found 94

Parking and Traffic Regulations 29

Lyman Center 94

Pass-Fail Option. See Registration: Pass-Fail Option 22


Penalty for late and non-payment 86

Mail 94

Performing and Creative Arts Groups 68

Media Board 76 Media Groups 68

Personal Information. See Information Requests 20

Medical/Emotional Problems. See Safety Procedures for Students with Severe Medical/Emotional Problems 59

Petitions and Referendums 41 Petition Procedures 41 Referendum Procedures 42



Pets on Campus 33

Recreational Facilities 96

Planning of On-Campus or Off-Campus Events by Recognized Student Organizations 71, 72 Contracts for Services 71 General Policies for Events 72 Planning Off-Campus Events 23 Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Facilities 71

Recycling 96

Pluralism (Statement On) 33 Police. See University Police 60 Political Action and Advocacy Groups 68 Posting Policy 33 Bulletin Boards and Showcases 34 General Purpose Kiosks 34 Residence Life 34 Table Tents 34 Private Scholarships 91 Proficiency Policy 21 Programs Council 66

Q Quality Points. See Grade Point Average 18

Registrar’s Office 95 Registration 21 Irregular Schedule Petition 21 Pass-Fail Option 22 Semester Credit Load 22 Registration Procedures 22 Add/Drops 22 Religious Organizations 69 Religious Services Policy 34 Replacement Grade Option 23 Reservation Procedures. See Planning of On-Campus or Off-Campus Events by Recognized Student Organizations 71,72 Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Facilities 71 Residence Life 96 Residence Status 35 Responsiblities of Student Organizations. See Recognition of New Student Organizations: Responsibilities of Student Organizations 82 R.I.D.E.S. 97

r Readmission to the University See Application for Readmission 10 Recognition of New Student Organizations 78 Adviser’s Responsibilities 83 Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations 80 Recognition Procedures 79 Responsibilities of Student Organizations 82 Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations 80 The Organization’s Responsibilities to the Adviser 83 Withdrawal of Recognition 81 Records. See Student Records 42 Records/Registrar’s Office 95



Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations. See Recognition of New Student Organizations: Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations 80 ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Candidate) 24

s Safety. See Indoor Safety 29 Safety Procedures for Students with Severe Medical/Emotional Problems 59 SAGE Center 97 Satisfactory Academic Progress to Maintain Financial Aid Eligibility 36 Scheduling Office for Non-Class Programs and Events 97

Scholarships, Alumni Association 98

Student Center 98

Scholarships, Private 91

Student Center Food Court 89

Search and Seizure Policy 39

Student Center Regulations 40

Selection of a Degree Program 24

Student Code of Conduct 110

Self-Help Groups 51

Student Government Association. See Councils and Governing Organizations: Student Government Association 65

SEOP 103 Semester Credit Load 22 Service Contracts. See Planning of On-Campus or Off-Campus Events by Recognized Student Organizations: Contracts for Services 71,72 Service Organizations 69 Sexual Assault 61 Sexual Harassment Policy And Procedure. See Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy 8 Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE) Center 97 Shuttle Bus Service 62

Student Grievances 110 Student Handbook 8 Student Information Requests 20 Student Membership on University Committees 100 Student Organizations 64 Student Records 42, 109 Definition of Student Records 42 General Policies 45 Types of Student Records Maintained 42

Sports and Recreation Clubs 69

Student Responsibilities Bicycles 27 Financial Obligations. See Bursar’s Office 85 Food and Beverages 29 Indoor Safety 29 Pets on Campus 33 Safety Procedures For Students With Severe Medical/Emotional Problems 59 Student Dress 41

Student Activities 64

Student Service 84

Student Bill of Rights 105 Academic Evaluation and Instruction 105 Amendments 105 Association 105 Classroom 106 Curriculum Revision and Evaluation 106 Discrimination 107 Governance 107 News Media 108 Privacy 107 Protest 107 Speakers and Topics 109 Student Records and Disclosure 109

Student Software Ownership and Software Developments 47

Smoking Policy 40 Software Ownership and Developments 47 Sororities and Fraternities 66 Speakers and Topics 109 Speech/Hearing Clinic 98 Sports. See Athletics 70


Student Supportive Services 100 Campus Tutorial Center 100 Campus Writing Center 100 ConnCAP (Connecticut Collegiate Awareness and Preparation Program) 101 ConnCAS (Connecticut Collegiate Access and Success Program) 101 Disability Resource Center 101 EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) 102


GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) 101 International Students 103 Non-Traditional Students 103 SEOP (Summer Educational Opportunity Program) 103 Veterans Services 103 Student Use of Computer Systems and Networks 47 Policy Statement 47 Student Offenses 48

V Vaccinations. See Health Center 56 Vehicle Registration 30 Veterans Benefits 91 Veterans Services 103

W Waiver Examinations 25

Study Skills Enrichment 100

Weather Chek. See Closing of the University 54

Summer Educational Opportunity Program. See Student Supportive Services: SEOP 103

Welcome from the Assistant Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs 63 Welcome from the Vice President 63

t Taking Courses at Other Institutions 24 Telephones/Public Phones/ Courtesy Phones 103

Withdrawal of Recognition. See Recognition of New Student Organizations: Withdrawal of Recognition 78,81

Traffic and Parking Regulations 30

Withdrawal Policy 26

Traffic and Parking Violations and Fines. See Enforcement 32

Withdrawal from a Course. See Course Withdrawal 22

Transcripts 13,25

Withdrawal from the University. See Withdrawal Policy 26

Transfer Courses. See Taking Courses at Other Institutions 24

Women’s Center 62

Transfer Students 25

Writing Center. See Campus Writing Center 100

Tutorial Center 101

u University Organizations 69 University Police 60 University Student Center Regulations Health and Sanitation 41 Use of Computer Systems and Networks 47


Wellness Center 62


501 Crescent Street New Haven, Connecticut 06515-1355

Student Handbook 2010-2011  
Student Handbook 2010-2011