Page 1

english

language English Language - AS/A2

Exam Board: WJEC

Language is the greatest achievement of humankind; it is the means by which we think, feel and understand ourselves and our world. This course develops your ability to analyse and use English by teaching you both the science and art of language in use. It will allow you to explore the written and spoken language of a huge range of people from writers, politicians and celebrities, to children, family and friends.

Is English Language for you? • You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above with at least a grade C in GCSE English or English Language. You want to explore and discuss language issues such as differences in how men and women use language, why and how language changes and attitudes to regional accents . You want to study how other people use language, both written and spoken.

You want to improve your analytical skills. You want to learn how to write clearly and effectively.


What will I learn? AS Year Introduction to the language of texts You will analyse the way language is used in two or more texts, which may be written texts or examples of spoken English.

How will I be assessed? You will be assessed through both written exams and coursework. Exams will make up 60% of the overall mark while coursework will make up the remaining 40%.

Original writing and exploring spoken English You will complete a piece of original writing and analyse an example of spoken language under guidance from your tutor.

In your coursework you have the opportunity to write a variety of texts including newspaper and magazine articles, leaflets and radio or television scripts. You will also learn to analyse texts produced by others – everything from advertisements to personal diaries.

A2 Year Language investigation and writing for specific purposes You will investigate an area of language that is of interest to you, and you will study a genre of your choice, with guidance from your tutor, (such as travel writing or sports reporting) and produce a piece of original writing as an example of the genre.

What activities can I get involved in? You will have the opportunity to explore issues or topics studied during department visits. The College has lots of exciting enrichment and C.V building opportunities including the chance to earn the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award, learn a new skill, learn a language, join a club, take up or develop a sport or take on a new challenge. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.

Analysing language Modes and contexts You will explore spoken language in more depth and also study how written English has changed over time.

Where does it lead? Many students go on to study English courses at University. English Language A- Level is also relevant to a number of other University courses such as Media Studies, Communication Studies and Languages. The analytical and communication abilities that an English degree provides are called ‘transferable skills’ which are useful in almost any occupation. Because of this flexibility, English students find careers in a wide range of fields such as law, publishing, teaching, advertising, human resources or management in various public and private organisations.

Expect more from your sixth form Facebook.com/birkenheadsixthformcollege

@BSFC

tel: 0151 652 5575 email: enrol@bsfc.ac.uk

bsfc.ac.uk

English language  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you