Page 1

The Sigillography and Commemorative artifacts [medallions, medals, stamps, plates] of the Order of Saint Lazarus Chev. C. Savona-Ventura KLJ, CMLJ, BCrLJ

1|Page


Published by The Office of the Grand Archivist & Historian Military & Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem Torri ta’ Lanzun, Malta Š Chev. Prof. Charles Savona-Ventura, 2014

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted to any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the previous permission in writing of the publisher.

Any further information about listed items or other discovered items would be most welcome. Please send any information to the author at charles.savona-ventura@um.edu.mt

2|Page


Contents 1.

Seals .........................................................................................................................................5

2.

Commemorative Medallions & Jetons ............................................................................ 17

3.

Commemorative Medals & Ribbons ............................................................................... 31

4.

Philately ................................................................................................................................ 49

5.

Other items .......................................................................................................................... 57

3|Page


4|Page


1. Seals Introduction Seals were used since very ancient times to authenticate documents. The seal was usually a device designed originally to produce an impression in sealing wax or clay, but extended also to making embosements onto paper. Today, the definition of the seal is extended to include rubber stamps. Seals are known to have been used since the beginning of the 3rd millennium BC. During the Medieval Period, seals in Europe were generally impressed in sealing wax composed of a compund of two-thirds beeswax to one-third resin. Seals of lead, termed “bullae”, were also used particularly to accompany Papal or Royal documents; these requiring a parchment tag or tail for attachment making them “pendant seals”. In the post-medieval period, seals were produced in material predominated by resin. These were more often impressed onto the sealinng resin directly applied onto the paper – applied seals. The letter writer very often would fold the completed letter, pour wax over the joint formed by the top of the page and then impress the seal. Alternatively applied seals were applied directly onto the document face. During the 20th century seals were superceeded by inked or dry embossed seals and by rubber stamps. As one would expect, the Order of Saint Lazarus has long availed itself of dedicated seals in its correspondence.

Pope Innocent III Bull to the Order dated 1216 with pendant lead seal

5|Page


12-13th century seals Jerusalem A 12th century lead bulla seal of the Domus Leprosorum in Jerusalem was found in the late 19th century and came into the hands of the Franciscan Father Paul de S. Aignan. It shows on one side the figure of a bishop or mitred abbot holding a crosier in his left hand, his right raised in blessing. Around this depiction is the inscription “S LAZARI DE IERUSALEMm”. On the other side is a bust of a leper holding a clapper with his face covered in spots. His left hand is placed inside his shirt and appears to be wearing a sort of bonnet. The inscription on this side reads “SIGILLUM D LEPROSORUM” . The seal may be intended to illustrate the dual nature of the 12th century Order’s organization based on monkish (Church of St Lazarus) and leprous sick (convent of the sick) members. 1

12th century seal from Jerusalem The grandmasters may have adopted different seals to emphasise their military role depicting a mounted knight. The illustration below depicts the impression of seal of a member of the family of de Saint-Pol dated to the 11-12th century. Hughes de Saint-Pol was master of the Order in 1155.

Seal of a member of the de Saint-Pol family

C. Clermont-Ganneau: 1. Seal of the crusading period, from the leper hospital of St. Lazarus at Jerusalem. Palestine Exploration Fund Quarterly Statement for 1901, p.109 - 113 1

6|Page


England A c.1160 seal used by the Prior Robert, son of Hugh, attached to a grant of land at Norfolk, England is of a simpler design being made up of a vesica showing only a plain cross with pellets in the top two quarters and down turned crescents in the bottom ones. It is engraved with the text S: POR: PRECEPTORS: SANCT: LAZARI.2

Seal belonging to Prior Robert [c.1160] By the early 13th century a more elaborate seal was adopted by the English preceptory. The seal circular 2¼ inch diameter depicts a demi-figure of a tonsured cleric with two small crosses above his shoulders in a sexfoil pattern. The monk holding a clapper in his right hand and a closed book in the left hand. Placed with in a sexfoil border, he is flanked by two shields—the left showing the plain cross of St Lazarus, the right showing a lion rampant of the Mowbray family. Below the initials BZ. The circular text reads S: COMMUNE: ORDINIS: MILICIE: HOPITALIS: SCI: LAZARI: DE: BURTONE. The seal format continued to be used well into the 16th century.3 The seal displays a Within the sexfoil are two shields: one showing the lion rampant, the other. Below the cleric are the initials BZ (presumably Burton Lazars).

Seal from Burton Lazar 13th-16th century

D. Marcombe. The seals of the Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem in England. In Noël Adams, John Cherry, and James Robinson (eds.), Good Impressions: Image and Authority in Medieval Seals (London: British Museum Press, 2008), p.52-59 3 D. Marcombe, 2008, ibid 2

7|Page


Central European A number of 13th century seals belonging to Priors from perceptories in Central Europe are very similar to the one belonging to Prior Robert in England. The ones from Germany have an inscription which reads S PCEPTORIS SCI LAZARI IN ALEMANIA. 4

Seals used by the Preceptors from Seedorf [1274] and Germany [1278 & 1282]

Other contemporary seals from the region depict a bishop holding a crozier in one hand with/out a book in the other hand. 5

Seals from Seedorf [1287 and 1289]

R. Hyacinthe. L'Ordre de Saint-Lazare de Jérusalem au Moyen Age. Études & Communication Édition, Bez-et-Esparon, 2003, +253p. [ISBN: 2911722205] 5 R. Hyacinthe, 2003, ibid, 4

8|Page


Another seal from Gfann depicts Our Lady with child being supported by two angels on each side. Under Our Lady’s feet there is a small figure under a plain canopy with his arms raised in prayer. The inscription reads: S FROI DOOR SCI LAZAI IGEVENNE. 6

Seal from Gfann [1274]

Sardinia A Medieval seal belonging to the Order depicts the scene of the raising of Lazarus with small figure underneath the tomb with his arms raised in prayer. The inscription reads: SIGILLVM FRATRIS TIBALDI ORDO MILITIE SANCTI LAZZARI IEROSOYMITANI. 7

Seal from Sardinia

R. Hyacinthe, 2003, ibid, Giovanni Spano. Sopra due sigilli sardi del Medio Evo. Appendice al Bullettino Archyeologico Sardo. No.12, Anno V, Dicembre 1859, p.187-192 6 7

9|Page


14-16th century seals England The seals from Britain in use during the 14-16th century continue to emphasize the monkish character of the Order. The seal depictin the tonsure monk used in the previous century by the Burton Lazar preceptory continued to be used through the subsequent ones.

Seal from Burton Lazar [1351] This monkish emphasis was evident in further seals dated to the 15th-16th centuries. The four known seals of the 15th century, all vesica-shaped and variously sized, show fulllength figures of bishops in the attitude of blessing, and holding a crosier. These seals bear the legend: SIGILLUM FRATERNITATIS SANCTI LAZARI JERUSALEM IN ANGLIA. During the 16th century indulgence seals became popular. An example is the large 2½ by 1½ inches 16th-century seal showing a standing figure of a bishop, holding a trident and crosier. The legend reads: SIGILL' DE INDULGENCIA DE BORTO' SCI. LAZARI JR . . . L'M. A further 16th century oval seal has the central device of a bishop seated on a canopied throne with his right hand in benediction and his left hand holding a pastoral shaft. Under the bishop’s feet there is a small figure under a plain canopy, his arms raised in prayer. The inscription reads SIGILLU: DOM: BORTO: SCANTI: LAZARI. 8 The depiction of a bishop could represent St. Lazarus.

Indulgence seals from Burton Lazars [15/16th century] 8

D. Marcombe, 2008: op. cit. 10 | P a g e


Vienna, Austria A 14th century Medieval seal in wax belonging to the Order depicts the scene of the raising of Lazarus by Christ. The inscription reads: S DOMUS SCTI LAZARI LEPROSOVO WIE[N]. The seal is attached to a document dated to 1397 held in the archives of the City of Vienna. The document ends with the formulation in Old German "dieser prieff ist gegeben datz wienne da von Christus gepurt waren ergangen Tausend jahr drey hundert jar in dem dritten jahr danach". 9

9

Information made available by Chev. Klaus-Peter Pokolm 11 | P a g e


Central European The religious-based seals of the prior century used in the preceptories in Central Europe continued to be used throughout the subsequent centuries. The seal of the convent of Saint Lazarus at Gfann dated to the 14th century seal shows Our Lady with child supported by two angels on each side. Under Our Lady's feet under a plain canopy, there is a shield with the Lazarite cross. The seal of Jean Schwber – Commander of the houses at Gfann and Seedorf dated to 1443 depicts a bishop holding a crozier in his left hand and his right hand held in benediction. Under the bishop’s feet there is a small figure under a plain canopy, his arms raised in prayer.

Seal of Jean Schwaber [1443] & Seal of the Gfann Convent [14th century] Other preceptors apparently may have prefered to emphasise the military element of their calling even after the Order’s expulsion from the Holy Land. The seals used by Leoni(da)s, preceptor of a Central European establishment of the Order of St Lazarus. The green seal, probably of German origin measuring 41 mm diameter weighing 56 gr, shows a knight of the Order mounted and in war-harness holding his sword to the neck of a foe and bearing a shield charged with a square cross. The circular inscription reads "S -FRIS- LEONIS- MILIT- P- CEPTOR MILICIE- S- LAZARI- IHRIANI" which can be interpreted as "S(igillum)- FR(atr)IS- LEONI(da)S- MILIT(is) P(re)CEPTOR(is)MILICIE- S(ancti)- LAZARI-IHRIANI".10

Seal of Leonidas

10

Historic Inquiry. http://www.st-lazarus.net/maltao/news200703.htm 12 | P a g e


France The seal belonging to the Master-general Jacques de Besnes , held in the SmitmerLoschner collection in the Vienna Historical Archives, which accompanied a document dated to 1382 similarly shows the promotion of the military character of the Order after it was expelled from the Holy Land. This seal shows the Master mounted and in warharness galloping while holding his sword high and bearing a shield charged with a square cross.

Seal of Master-general Jacques de Besnes [1382]

13 | P a g e


17-19th century seals France The political vistidues affecting the Order of Saint Lazarus in the aftermat of the Papal Bull Bull Cum solerti meditatione pensamus promulgaed by Pope Innocent VIII on the 5th April 1489 led to a diminution of the Order’s influence throughout Europe. The Order’s influence was centered in France having received Royal Patronage. It was amalgamated with the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel when a combined form was adopted for the heraldic arms. These arms included a white shiled with a green and brown cross, surmounted on a with bordered grenn and brown eight-pointed cross, encircled by the Grand Collar of the Order. These arms were placed on a a green mantle internally and brown externally decorated with gold tassels and ornaments and bearing the cross of Order. Overlying is the Royal crown. It would appear that in the later centuries the Order assumed a formal seal depicting the heraldic arms of the Order.

Heraldic Arms and Seal of the United Orders of St. Lazarus of Jerusalam and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

14 | P a g e


Magistral Seal 18th century

15 | P a g e


20th century seals The Great Seal of the Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem adopted in the 20th century incorporates “the full arms of the Order encircled by the inscription S. Ordinis Sancti Lazari in Hierosolymitani”. The Seals of the Volunteers Corps of the Order include “the cross of eight points on a shield, encircled by the (registered) name of the Volunteers Corps and with the office or function of the bearer, inscribed in the language of the country the seal is used”. The Privy Seals of the Grand Master and of the Coadjutor are composed of the full personal arms of the Grand Master or of the Coadjutor, encircled by the inscription “The Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem“ and “Grand Master“ or “Coadjutor“, all written in one of the official languages of the Order. The Seals of the members of the Supreme Council and of the Grand Secretaries are: The cross of eight points encircled by the Collar of the Order, all encircled by the inscription “The Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem“ and the office or function of the bearer in one of the official languages of the Order. The Seals of Jurisdictions are composed of the arms of the Order encircled by the inscription “The Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem“, the name of the Jurisdiction and the office or function of the bearer, all either in one of the official languages of the Order or in the language spoken in the country of the jurisdiction. Only Heads of Jurisdictions (e.g. Grand Priors, Grand Bailiffs, Priors, Bailiffs, Commanders, Delegates, Hereditary Commanders), their acting deputies and Chancellors are entitled to use such seals.11

Modern Seals used by high ranking officials of the Order

11

Constitution, Statutes and General Regulations - Magisterial Decree No.17/99, 1999. 16 | P a g e


2. Commemorative Medallions & Jetons Introduction Coins issued by the state during ancient and pre-modern times have always reflected the

prevalent political or economic situation of that age. Thus, Roman coins often commemorate successful military campaigns and therefore can be considered examples of ancient political propaganda. During the Early Modern Period, commemorative coins were often issued to proclaim the coronation of a new monarch. In Europe during the “age of absolution” these coins were termed 'largesse' coins. Commemorative coins, devised to establish a public notion of nationhood and to honor the ruling dynasty, became incrreasingly common during the era of the formation of the European nation states. Associations also adopted the practice of issuing commemorative coins to honor their leaders or events. This practice continues to modern times. While state-released commemorative coins generally have legal tender, those issued by associations generally are of historical interest only and have no legal tender in the country of origin. In his 1986 publication “The Insignia and Decorations of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem”, Chev. Stuart G. Morris of Balgonie then assistant deputy custodian of insignia of the Order reports the existance of two 18th and one 20th century commemorative medallions pertaining to the Order of Saint Lazarus. 12 Other commemorative medallions have since been discovered or issued. Commemorative medallions or jetons are generally issued to commemorate special important events or individuals.

Stuart G. Morris of Balgonie, The Insignia and Decorations of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem (MHOSLJ: Perthshire, Scotland, 1986) 12

17 | P a g e


17th century medallions Restoration of the Order Diameter: 45.6 mm circular; 47.03 g.; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows a knight in arms mounted on a horse in gallop, facing to the right. Circular legend reads ORDO MILIT S. LAZARI HIEROSOL RESTITUTUS. Bottom placed legend reads: F. EGE ASSERTORE ET SUMMO DUCE MDCLXXII. Reverse: Centre shows the bust of King Louis. Circular legend reads LUDOVIOUS MAGNUS REX CHRISTIANISIMUS. Engraver J. Nils (1672)

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=1352711&AucID=1243&Lot=1270&Val=8b0e 7295e9a20a03e89eb4f76311644e

18 | P a g e


18th century medallions Philippe de Courcillon, Marquis de Dangeau (b.1638 d.1720) was appointed Grand Master to the united Orders of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel on the 24th December 1693. A bull of Pope Innocent XII dated 3rd May 1695 confirmed Dangeau’s nomination. He held the post until his death from smallpox on the 9th September 1720. Diameter: 31 mm circular; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows a knight in arms mounted on a horse in gallop, facing to the right. Bottom placed legend reads: ORD. MIL. DE N.D. DU MONT CARMEL. Reverse: Centre shows the arms of the Order superimposed on the eight=pointed cross of the Order surrounded by two collars of the Order. Bottom placed legend reads ET DE S. LAZARE DE IERUSALEM * 1700.

http://images3.numishop.eu/images/jeton/fjt_222894.jpg Another jeton of the same year appears replaces the knight with the arms of the grandmaster Diameter: 31 mm circular; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the quartered arms of de Courcillon alternating with the arms of the Order surrounded by the collars of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and the collar of the order of Saint Michael. Circularly placed legend reads PHILIPPE.DE.COVRCILLON.DEDANGEAU. GRAND.MASTRE. Reverse: Centre shows the arms of the Order superimposed on the eight=pointed cross of the Order surrounded by two collars of the Order. Bottom placed legend reads ET DE S. LAZARE DE IERUSALEM * 1700.

http://images3.numishop.eu/images/jeton/fjt_237582.jpg 19 | P a g e


The subsequent commemorative medallion dated 1701 combines the elements of the 1700 medalions. Diameter: 31 mm circular; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the quartered arms of de Courcillon alternating with the arms of the Order surrounded by the collars of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and the collar of the order of Saint Michael. Circularly placed legend reads PHILIPPE.DE.COVRCILLON.DEDANGEAU. GRAND.MASTRE. Reverse: Centre shows a knight in arms mounted on a horse in gallop, facing to the right. Circularly placed legend reads: ORDRE RAL.DE NRE.DE.DV MONT CARMEL ET DE ST.LAZARE M.DCCI

Stuart, 1986

20 | P a g e


Louis d’Orléans, Duc de Chartres (b.1703 d.1752) was appointed the 41st Grand Master of the Order of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in 1720. He was the son of Philippe II d'Orléans, duc d'Orléans, Regent of France in 1723 and Françoise-Marie de Bourbon. Louis was titled duc de Chartres at birth, then duc d'Orléans at the death of his father. As a member of the House of Bourbon he was a Prince du Sang and, at his father's death, he became the First Prince of the Blood. A number of commenorative medallions dedicated to the Grand Master has been described. The first dated to 1722 retains the format in use in 1701 with the obverse carring the arms of the grandmaster, and the reverse depicting a galloping knight. Diameter: 31 mm circular ; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of d’ Orleans superimposed on the eightponted cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Circularly placed legend reads LOUIS DUC D’ ORLEANS GRAND MAITRE. Reverse: Centre shows a knight in arms mounted on a horse in gallop, facing to the right. Circularly placed legend reads: ORDRE R.DE N.D.DU MONT CARMEL ET DE S.LAZARE 1723.

Author’s collection

The format subsequently changed retaining the arms on the grandmaster on the obverse, but depicting the bust relief of the king on the reverse. Various forms of such medalions are extant.

21 | P a g e


Diameter: 30.5 mm circular ; thickness 6 h; metal: silver or bronze. Obverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of d’ Orleans superimposed on the eightpointed cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Circularly placed legend reads LOUIS DUC D’ORLEANS GRAND MAITRE. Reverse: Centre shows the bust of King Louis XV, facing to the right. Circularly placed legend reads: LUD.XV.RE CHRISTIANISS. There are several varieties of the reverse side of this medallion with small variations to the bust depiction [differences in neck collar] and signed by different engravers: 1st – FM : 2nd – JCR referring to Joseph Charles Röettiers : 3rd DU VIVIER referring to Duvivier [all undated].

www.cgf.fr Jetons XXI & Author’s collection [first]

22 | P a g e


Louis de France de Berry – eventually King Louis XVI (b.1754 d. guillotined 1793) was appointed the 42nd Grand Master of the Order of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in 1757. He was the son of Louis, Dauphin of France and Marie-Josèphe of Saxony. Originally Duc of Berry, he became King Louis XVI of France and Navarre from 1774-1791, and then King of the French from 1791-1792. A commenorative medallion dedicated to the Grand Master has been described – dated 1757. Diameter: 30 mm circular ; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of Bourbon superimposed on the eightponted cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Circularly placed legend reads LOUIS DUC DE BERY FILS DE FRACE GRAND MAITRE. Reverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of the Order surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Circularly placed legend reads: ORDRE R.DE N.D.DU MONT CARMEL ET DE S.LAZARE J R 1757.

23 | P a g e


Louis Stanislas Xaxier, Comte de Provence –King Louis XVIII (b.1755 d.1824) was appointed the 43rd Grand Master of the Order of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in 1774. He was the son of Louis, Dauphin of France and Marie-Josèphe of Saxony. Originally Comte de Provence, he became King Louis XVIII of France in exile after the death of his nephew King Louis XVII. He formally reigned France during the Bourbon Restoration period. Two commenorative medallions dedicated to the Grand Master has been described. Diameter: 29 mm circular; thickness 6 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of Bourbon superimposed on the eightponted cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel together with three other collars. Circularly placed legend reads MASON DE Mgr. LE COMTE DE PROVENCE. Reverse: Centre shows the bust of Louis Stanislas Xavier facing left [unidentified signature underneat the bust]. Circularly placed legend reads: L.STAN.XAV.DE FRANCE COMTE DE PROVENCE.

Diameter: 34 mm octagonal; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the quartered arms of Bourbon alternating with the arms of the Order superimposed on the eight-ponted cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel within mantle with crown of prince. Superiorly placed legend on scroll reads ATAVIS ET ARMIS. Reverse: Centrally placed legend reads: LOU.STA.XA. FILS DE FRANCE MONSIEUR FRERE DU ROY GRAND Mtre DES ORD ROIx.MILres.ET HOSPs.DE St. LAZARE DE JERUSm.ET DE Ntre.DAME DU MONT CARMEL 1775.

Author’s collection 24 | P a g e


Gérad Mellier, Mayor of Nantes (b.1674 d.1729) served as the Mayor of Nantes during 1720-1730. He also served as Treasurer of France. He was instrumental in determining the destiny of the city being firmly committed to transatlantic trade. He was also a man of culture, a lover of books and history, and one of the fathers of the first acdemy of music in Nantes. He was admitted to the Orders of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in 1720. A commenorative medallion dedicated to him has been described. Diameter: 28.5 mm circular; thickness 6 h; metal: silver [others in copper]. Obverse: Centre shows the arms of Mellier superimposed on the eight-ponted cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Circularly placed legend reads NOSTRO FLORBIT AMORE 1721. Reverse: Centre shows the crowned arms of the village of Nates surrounded by cordage. Circularly placed legend reads: DE LA MAIRE DE Mrs. MELLIER GENal.DES FINANCES CHEVer.DE l’ORDRE DE St. LAZARE

. Author’s collection

Joseph de Vimeur de Rochambeau (b.16974 d.1779) served as the Governor of the town and Chateau of Vendôme. He was admitted by Louis d’Orleans to the Orders of St. Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel on 16th October 1727. A seal medalion dedicated to him has been described. Diameter: 110 mm circular; weight 147.72 g; metal: lead. Obverse: Centre shows a knight in arms mounted on a horse in gallop, facing to the right. Two circularly placed legends read: outer legend + SIGILLVM. ORDINIS. ET. MILITIÆ B MARIÆ. VIRGINIS DE MONTE; inner legend + CARMELO ILI SANCTI LASARI IN JERVSALEM Reverse: Old paper glued to the reverse

http://www.inumis.com/vso//rochambeau-joseph-charles-de-vimeur-de-sceau-sd-fonte-ancienne-a22192.html 25 | P a g e


19th century medallions To date no 19th century medallions referring to the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem have been identified. However, one medallion commemorating the benefactors helping the re-building of the Sanctuary of Mount Carmel at Haifa in the mid-19th century has been identified. The Order of Saint Lazarus has been specifically recorded to have been one of these benefactors.

Comite Central aux Bienfacteurs du Mont Carmel Diameter: 4 cm circular; metal: bronze. Obverse: Centre shows Our Lady holding a cross flanked by a shepherd and a monk of the Carmelite Order with Jerusalem in the background. The circular legend reads LE COMITE CENTRAL AUX BIENFAITEURS DU MONT CARMEL. The piece is signed DEPAULIS F while a further legend below reads FRANCE MDCCCXLVIII. Reverse: Centre shows a circule of stars and the legend reading * CHARITE 8 HOSPITALITE

Author’s collection

26 | P a g e


20th century medallions The 20th century Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem issued a number of medallions during the 20th century. These commemorated individuals or events.

Charles Otznberger-Detaille (b.1881 d.1944) was admitted to the Order in 1911. He served as Registrar to the Order during 1926-1929 and Superintendent General from 1929-1944. A commemorative medallion dedicated to him has been described. Diameter: 50 mm circular; thickness 12 h; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the arms of Otzenberger superimposed on the eight-pointed cross surrounded by the collar of the Order of Saint Lazarus placed on the mantle surmounted by a crown and depicting the eight-pointed cross on the right. Scroll above mantle with legend ATAVIS ET ARMIS. Circularly placed legend reads SUPINT.GEN.ORD.MILIT.AC HOSPIT.S LAZARI.HSOLYM. Reverse: Centre shows the bust of Charles Otzenberger-Detaille wearing collar of the Order. Circularly placed legend reads: CAROLUS COMES OTZENBERGERDETAILLE AET.XLIX [undated]

http://www.inumis.com/ Brought to the attention of the author by Chev. Dale Leppard

27 | P a g e


Congress of the Order, Finland A medallion minted to commemorate the Congress of the Order held in Finland in 1975. Diameter: 70 mm circular; thickness 7 mm; metal: bronze. Sculptured by Chev. Olof Eriksson KLJ, in a limited edition of 465 medallions. Obverse: Semi relief head of His Royal Highness Prince Don Francisco Enrique de Borbon y de Borbon, Duke of Seville and Grandmaster of the Order, and the medieval heraldic emblem of the congress town – a capital “A” and four small fleur de Lys – all surrounded by the inscription S.A.R. F.E. DE BORNON Y DE BORBON. GRAND MAITRE DE O.M. ET H. DE ST. L. DE J. Reverse: Depicts the shield of the Order superimposed on an eight-pointed cross with the central inscription reading ATAVIS ET ARMIS. TURKU. FINLAND 2425.5.1975. The whole is surrounded by the inscription REUNION DE L’ORDRE MILITAIRE ET HOSPITALIER DE ST. LAZARUS DE JERUSALEM and a representation of the heraldic rose of the Republic of Finland.

Stuart, 1986

28 | P a g e


The St. Lazarus Volunteers, Austria A medallion minted to commemorate the 20th years anniversary of the St. Lazarus Volunteers (Austria) in 1993. Diameter: 30 mm circular; thickness 7 mm; metal: 0.835 sterling silver. Produced by Casinos Austria AG manufactured by Münze Österreich AG (formerly called Hauptmünzamt; official Austrian mint) according to the drawings of the well-known Viennese artist Rudolf Fuchs, M.A. Only 5000 pieces made. Obverse: Shows the full coat-of-arms of the Order, surrounded by the words "20 Jahre Sankt Lazarus Hilfswerk Österreich" (20 Years Saint Lazarus Volunteers Austria) and the year's date "1993". Reverse: shows the face value (100 Shillings), the term "Sonderjeton (Special chip)", logo and name of "Casinos Austria", sign of manufacturer and mark of degree of fineness.

Author’s collection

29 | P a g e


Commemorative medallion, Greece A medallion minted to commemorate the official visit made by the Duke of Brissac Grand Master of the Paris Obedience in Greece in 2003. Obverse: Shows the quartered coat-of-arms of de Brissac alternating with the arms of the Order, surrounded by Greek text. Reverse: shows the eight-pointed cross of the Order surrounded by Greek text.

e-bay item offered for sale

30 | P a g e


3. Commemorative Medals & Ribbons Introduction In the later part of the twentieth century, the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem adopted the practice of issuing medals commemorating notable events related to the Order. The first such commemorative medal, recorded by Chev. Stuart G. Morris of Balgonie in the 1986 publication “The Insignia and Decorations of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem”, was the 1973 Malta Commemorative Medal.13 There have been since several other commemorative medals issued by the various Obediences and schismic groups of the Order. All these must be considered important artifacts reflecting the history of the Order and an updated catalogue of these medals is long overdue.14

Malta Commemorative Medal, 1973 This medal was issued to commemorate the adoption of the Castello Lanzun as the seat of the Grand Chancellery of the Order on the 12th May 1973. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows Castello Lanzun in relief with the word ‘MALTA’ above and ‘12 V 1973’ below. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’ on a surrounding scroll. Ribbon: Purple with green edge.

Author’s collection

Stuart G. Morris of Balgonie, The Insignia and Decorations of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem (MHOSLJ: Perthshire, Scotland, 1986) 14 For commemorative ribbons, see: http://www.st-lazarus.net/international/pages/ribbon_chart_1.html 13

31 | P a g e


Edinburgh Commemorative Medal, 1973 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Edinburgh, Scotland on the 28th August to 2nd September 1973. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: bronze – large medal version only. Obverse: Centre shows the inscription ‘VISITA 47 GRAN MAESTRE A EDIMBURGO ESCOCIA 28-8 AL 2-9-74’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: olive-green.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

Salzburgh Commemorative Medal, 1979 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Salzburg, Austria in September 1979. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: bronze [110], silver [50, gold [40] – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the central inscription ‘GRAND MAGISTRAL COUNCIL MEETING SALZBURG 1979’ and circular inscription ‘HRH. DON FRANCISCO DE BORBON 47th GRAND MASTER’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Dark green with the Austrian national colours [red-white-red] at each side.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

32 | P a g e


Salzburgh Commemorative Medal, 1981 This medal was issued to commemorate the presentation of a bell to the Salzurg Cathedral, Austria by the Baliwick of Austria on the 12th September 1981. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the central inscription ‘ZUR ERRINNERUNG SALZBURG GUGGENTHAL 12 SEPTEMBER 1981’ within a wreath. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Green edged white with narrow stripes of red-white in the centre.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

Washigton Commemorative Medal, 1984 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Washingtom, U.S.A. in 1984. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the coat of arms of the United States of America in the centre with a circumferential inscription reading ‘ORDER OF SAINT LAZARUS GRAND MAGISTRAL COUNCIL. WASHINGTON DC 1984’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Green with three narrow red stripes down the centre.

Author’s collection

33 | P a g e


Oxford Commemorative Medal, 1986 This medal was issued to commemorate the Joint International Reunion Meeting between the Malta and Paris Obediences held in Oxford, England in 1986. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: silver – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows a flower in relief circled by the inscription ‘JOINT INTERNATIONAL REUNION OXFORD * 1986* ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped with colours including (central out) green – white – dark red – white - blue.

Author’s collection

Vienna Commemorative Medal, 1988 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Vienna, Austria in 1988. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Austrian Arms circled by inscription reading ‘GRAND MAGISTRAL COUNCIL MEETING * VIENNA 1988 * ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped with colours including (central out) white – red – white – green white.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html 34 | P a g e


Holland Commemorative Ribbon, 1988 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Holland in 1988. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: silver – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre showing a lion rampant with sword encircled by inscription reading ‘CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCUNT ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘REUNION INTERNTIONALE HOLLAND 1988’. Ribbon: Green with three yellow stripes in centre.

Author’s collection

Salzburg Commemorative Medal, 1990 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Salzburg, Austria in 1990. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of Salzburg circled by inscription reading ‘GRAND MAGISTRAL COUNCIL MEETING * 1990 SALZBURG * ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped with colours including (central out) white – red – white – green white.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html 35 | P a g e


Angers Commemorative Ribbon, 1990 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Angers, France in 1990. Ribbon: Olive green edged with white stripes.

Toronto Commemorative Ribbon, 1992 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Torontos, Canada in 1992. Ribbon: Green.

Vienna Commemorative Ribbon, 1994 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Vienna, Austria in 1994. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: gold – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows Christ raising St. Lazarus from tomb circled by inscription reading ‘S DOMVS SCTI LAZARI LEPROSORV WIENN ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘INTERNATIONAL REUNION WIEN 1994’. Ribbon: Striped red – white – red.

Furnished by Chev. Brett Delahunt 36 | P a g e


Prague Commemorative Ribbon, 1998 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Prague, Czech Republic in 1998. Ribbon: Dark blue edged with red and white stripes.

New Orleans Commemorative Medal, 1996 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in New Orleans, U.S.A. in 1996. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the American and Orleans flags over the eight-pointed cross in shield circled by inscription reading ‘SAINT AZARUS GRAND MAGISTRAL COUNCIL MEETING * NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA 1996 * ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped blue – white and red..

e-bay item offered for sale Furnished by Chev Brett Delahunt

37 | P a g e


Swedish Commemorative Medal, 1998 This medal was issued in 1998 to commemorate the 900th Anniversary of the Order of Saint Lazarus issued by the Grand Priory of Sweden [Malta Obedience]. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Crusader Cross in shield overlying the green eightpointed cross of the Order circled by inscription reading ‘MILITARIS HOSPITALIS ORDO ST LAZARI IN JERUSALEM * 1198 - 1998’. Reverse: Ribbon: Striped blue (centrally out) – yellow – green – yellow – green - purple.

Brought to the attention of the author by Chev. Dr. Johannes Muehllechner

St. Poelten Commemorative Medal, 1999 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in St. Poelten, Austria in 1999. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of St Poelten circled by inscription reading ‘ORDER OF ST LAZAUS 1974 – 1999 * 25 YEARS ST LAZARUS VOLUNTEER AUSTRIA’ and lower central inscription GM 1999 ST. POELTEN ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped blue (centrally out) – white and red –white - green.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html 38 | P a g e


Melbourne Commemorative Ribbon, 2000 Issued to commemorate the Reunion meeting of the Paris Obedience of the Order held in Melbourne, Australia in 2000. Ribbon: Gold wth green stripe in centre.

Anno Santo Jubilee Commemorative Medal, 2000 This medal was issued to commemorate the participation of the Anno Santo Jubilee commemorations in Rome, Italy in 2000. Two medals were apparently issued – one commemorating the Santo Jubilee and one for those assisting in the first aid services.

1. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze.

Obverse: Centre shows the central inscription reading ‘PRONTO SOCCORSO AI PELLEGRINI’ circled by the inscription ‘ANNO SANTO – ROMA 2000’. Reverse: Centre shows the Arms of the Order of St. Lazarus.

2. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze.

Obverse: Centre shows the logo of the Santo Jubilee encirled by the words ‘JUBILAEUM A.D. 2000’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross of the Order of St. Lazarus encirled by the words ‘GRAN PRIORATO D’ITALIA O.S.L.J.’. Ribbon: Yellow and white.

e-bay item offered for sale

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

39 | P a g e


Riccone Commemorative Medal, 2001 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Riccone, Italy in 2001. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of Grand Priory of Italy circled by inscription reading ‘GRAND PRIORY OF ITALY * OSLJ’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘GRAND MAGISTERIAL COUNCIL * 2001’. Ribbon: Striped (centrally out) – white – red –white – green – white.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

Dublin Commemorative Medal, 2002 This medal was issued to commemorate the Joint International Reunion Meeting between the Malta and Paris Obediences held in Dublin, Republic of Ireland in 2002. Diameter: 33 mm circular ; metal: silver – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows Dublin Coat of Arms with a base inscription ‘DUBLIN AD 2002’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘SAINT LAZARUS * IRELAND’. Ribbon: Striped with colours including (central out) blue – orange – white - green.

40 | P a g e


Vaals Commemorative Medal, 2003 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [Malta Obedience] meeting of the Order held in Vaals, Netherlands in 2003. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of the Grand Priory of Netherlands topped by ‘VAALS’ and below by ‘2003’; circled by ‘GRAND MAGISTRIAL COUNCIL MEETING’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped blue – white and red..

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5490

41 | P a g e


Malta Commemorative Medal, 2005 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council [splinter group under Chev. R. Attard] meeting of the Order held in qawra, Malta in 2005. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: bronze – large medal and miniature versions. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of the Grand Priory of Malta circled by ‘GRAND MAGISTRIAL COUNCIL MEETING * MALTA 2005’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross with the words ‘ORDO MILIT ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: Striped blue – white and red bands representing flag of Malta edged with green.

Author’s collection http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

Lucca Commemorative Medal, 2007 This medal was issued to commemorate the Grand Magisterial Council Meeting of the R. Attard splinter group held at Viareggio/Lucca, Italy. Diameter: scallop shaped 33 mm circular; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of Grand Priory of Italy encircled by the text ‘GRAN PRIORATO D’ITALIA – OSLJ’ Reverse: Centre shows eight-pointed cross encircled with inscription below reading ‘MAGISTERAL MEETING – 2007’. Ribbon: white with green – white – red stripes in centre.

http://web.comhem.se/lazarite/member1/m_dec_commedals.html

42 | P a g e


Santiago Commemorative Medal, 2010 This medal was issued to commemorate the Santiago, Spain pilgramage in 2010. Diameter: scallop shaped 33 mm; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the Arms of Santiago in red. Reverse: Centre shows eight-pointed cross with inscription below reading ‘SANTIAGO MAYO 2010’. Ribbon: Olive-green.

43 | P a g e


Oxford Commemorative Medal, 2011 This medal was issued in 2012 to commemorate the reunification between the Grand Bailiwick (Malta Obedience) and the Grand Priory (Paris Obedience) naming the new jurisdiction The Grand Bailiwick & Priory of England and Wales. The union was formally achieved on 1st January 2011 by Grand Magistral Decree 06/10. Obverse: Centre shows three eight-pointed crosses – one large and two small representing the union of the two smaller jurisdictions into one large one. The circular inscription reads ‘GRAND BAILIWCK & PRIOR OF ENLAND AND WALES’. Reverse: Shows the three eight-pointed crosses of the Order with an inscription below reading ‘REUNIFICATION 2011’. Ribbon: light green with stripes of white – light green – olive green at the edge on both sides.

Author’s collection

44 | P a g e


Kevelaer Commemorative Medal, 2012 This medal was issued to commemorate the Kevelaer, Germany pilgramage in 2012. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows Our Lady of Kevelaer in relief with circular inscription ‘CONSOLATRIX AFFLICTORUM * KEVELAER 2012’. Reverse: Centre shows the Arms of the Order on crowned mantle with circular inscription reading ‘ORDO MILIT. ET HOSPIT SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: central sky blue band with stripes of dark blue – yellow – green extending outwards on both sides.

Author’s collection

45 | P a g e


Ireland Commemorative Medal, 2012 This medal was issued in 2012 to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the setting up of the Grand Priory of Ireland. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: silver. Obverse: Centre shows the harp symbol of Ireland in relief with circular inscription ‘GRAND PRIORY OF IRELAND – AUREO ANNIVERSARIO MCMLXII MMXII’. Reverse: Centre shows the eight-pointed cross of the Order with circular inscription reading ‘ORDO MILIT. ET HOSP. SANCTI LAZARI HIEROSOLYMITANI’. Ribbon: striped dark green - orange.

Brought to the attention of the author by Chev. Dr. Johannes Muehllechner Picture compliments of Chev. Conor Keoghan KLJ, Grand Priory of Ireland

Berlin Commemorative Medal, 2012 This medal was issued in 2012 to commemorate the union of the Grand Priory and the Grand Bailiwick. Brought to the attention of the author by Chev. Dr. Johannes Muehllechner

46 | P a g e


Canada Commemorative Medal, 2012 This medal was issued in 2012 to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the setting up of the Order in Canada. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: gold. Large and miniature version Obverse: The Obverse (front) shows our new distinctive Canadian "Badge" in centre encirled by the words ‘ORDO SANCTI LAZARI * ATAVIS ET ARMIS’. Reverse: The Reverse bears a large numeral "50" in centre, CANADA at the top and the years 1962-2012 at bottom.. Ribbon: green stripe in centre, representative of the "Order" flanked on either side by alternating red and white stripes denoting Canada's "Official Colours", while symbolizing the shield of the Order between two Canadian flags. The sum of either 4 red or 4 white stripes plus the green centre stripe totals "5" in each instance, echoing the 5 decades of service to mankind by the Canadian Priory..

http://www.stlazarus.ca/medal.html

47 | P a g e


Boigny Pilgrimage Commemorative Medal, 2013 This medal was issued in 2013 to commemorate the 50th annual Boigny’s pilgrimage. Diameter: 33 mm circular; metal: gold. Large and miniature version Obverse: The Obverse (front) shows the chateau of Boigny in relief. Reverse: The Reverse bears a kneeling knight and the green eight-pointed cross of the order. Ribbon: Green tripe in centre flanked by Royal Blue and Green stripes on both sides.

http://www.st-lazarus.net/international/cutenews/ show_news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1364739477&archive=&template=

48 | P a g e


4. Philately Introduction If the writer Coleridge is to be believed, the origins of postage stamps dates to 1836 after Rowland Hill published a pamphlet entitled Post Office Reform: Its Importance and Practicability. Hill proposed that inland letters should be subject to a prepaid postage. The results of this reform were that on 6th May 1840 small pieces of paper with gum on one side and an effigy of the Queen Victoria on the other, were sold at post office counters for the very first time. The sale received very favourable public reaction. These were the stamps—penny blacks and two-penny blues—for prepayment of postage. Postage stamps were subsequently introduced in other countries. Stamp collecting has had a following ever since 1841. The first known collector was Doctor Gray, an official at the British Museum, who placed an announcement in The Times in 1841, stating that he was looking for stamps. As the number of collectors grew, and it became more difficult to obtain certain issues, such as first issues from each country, interest grew in the hobby. By 1860 there were stamp collectors in society's most notable circles. The Order of St. Lazarus has never assumed a sovereign status and hence has never undertaken the onus of issuing prepaid postage stamps—unlike the Order of St. John who have been issuing their own stamp issues since 1966. Indirect philatelic reference to the Order of St. Lazarus was made in an undated postcard issued in Capua, Italy. This features the old Church and Hospital of St. Lazarus, the statue of St. Lazarus and a depiction of a Lazarite knight.

Postcard – Capua, Italy - undated The Savoyan Order of St Maurice and St Lazarus, since it has remained a Royal protected Order of Merit, has also been depicted in cigarette cared issues. One issue from a set of 49 | P a g e


50 cards titled THE WORLD’S DECORATIONS was issued by Allen & Ginter in Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.. A similar cigarette card [measuring 35mm x 70mm] in a set of 90 entitled WAR DECORATIONS & MEDALS was issued in 1927 by John Player & Sons of Nottingham and London, England.

Card issued by Allen & Ginter, Richmond

Card issued by John Player & Sons, London 50 | P a g e


The various jurisdictions of the Order of St. Lazarus have in recent years featured or issued philatelic items as commemorative or fund-raising endeavours.

Stamps of the Order of St. Lazarus Czech Jurisdiction The earliest identified commemorative stamp dates to 1998 issued by the jurisdiction in the Czech Republic [Malta Obedience] on the occasion of the 900-year existence of the Order.

Czech Republic, 1998

Austrian Jurisdiction This was soon followed by another commemorative stamp issued in 1999 to commemorate the Grand Magistral Council Meeting [Malta Obedience] held in St. Poelten, Austria. A special postal rubber stamp was also used by the Austrian Postal Agency. Two rubber stamps were used each distinguished by the numbers 1 and 2. After 2002, the Australian jurisdiction also issued private-issued official valid â‚Ź0.55 stamp

Austrian Republic, 1999

Austrian Republic, undated [after 2002] 51 | P a g e


American Jurisdiction Another undated commemorative stamps were issued by the American Jurisdiction who issued a private-issue official valid 39c stamp in the United States of America.

United States of America, undated

Finish Jurisdiction A fund-raising philatelic endeavour in support of charitable activities was initiated by the Grand Priory of Finland.

Finland, undated

52 | P a g e


French Jurisdiction A special stamp “Hospital for Armenia” was issued in 2003 by the Hospitallers of SaintLazarus [Paris Obedience] as a fund-raising endeavour in order to provide a medical structure in Armenia. A re-issue was made in 2006.

Hospital for Armenia issues – 2003/2006 Another stamp was issued by the Order of Saint Lazarus in 2005 by to commemorate Chevalier Nicolas Roze b.25/9/1675; d.2/9/1733. In 1702, Roze participated in the War of Spanish Succession and fought in the defence of Alicante against the Bavarians and on the Battle of Almanza. Wounded and taken prisoner, he returned to Marseille in 1707. His military exploits earned him the knighthood of St. Lazarus. In 2010, the French Priory of Provence of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem published, through zazzle.com, a stamp depicting santon – a knight of St. Lazarus – with a U.S. postage denomination of 44c.

Chev. Roze issue - 2005

Priory of Provence, France, 2010 53 | P a g e


Ordre de St. Lazare en Corse, 2012

Portugese Jurisdiction A new stamp related to the Order of St. Lazarus has been prepared as a fund-raising project by the Grand Priory of Portugal and Africa in 2009. This depicts the 40th Grandmaster of the Order Philippe de Courcillon in all his 18th century regalia as depicted in a portrait dated 1702 [artist: Hyacinthe Rigaud] now held in the Chateau de Versailles, France.

Portugal, 2009

54 | P a g e


Maltese Jurisdiction The Grand Priory of the Maltese Islands has also prepared a number of commemorative philatelic items. In November 2006, the Grand Priory [then a Splinter group of Malta Obedience] commissioned two private-issue official stamps from MaltaPost Ltd to commemorate the International Investiture & Supreme Council Meeting held in Malta. The two stamps depict H.E. Michel le Tellier who served as Vicar general with grand magisterial privileges during 1673-1691 and H.E. Chev. Reginald Saviour Richard Attard who served as Grand Vicar and President of the Supreme Council of the splinter group of the Malta Obedience during 2004-2006.

Malta, 2006 Another two private-issue official stamps were commissioned from MaltaPost Ltd to commemorate the September 2008 Chapter General Meeting and the Installation of the 49th Grandmaster held in Manchester. The two dedicated stamps depict last two Grandmasters of the Order – H.H. Francesco de Paula de Borbon y Escasany [serving during 1996-2008] and H.E. Carlos Gereda de Borbon [elected 2008].

Malta, 2008 55 | P a g e


The Grand Priory of the Maltese Islands in April 2010 further prepared two stamps issued to commemorate the visit made by the Spiritual Protector of the Order His Beatitude Gregory Laham III on the occasion of Pope Benedicy XVI to Malta on the occasion of the 1950 years anniversary of the Shipwreck of St Paul on the Islands.

Malta, 2010

56 | P a g e


5. Other items Commemorative Plate A limited 250 edition of commemorative plate [diameter 11”] was commissioned by the Grand Custodian of Insignia from Cavenswall, England in 1978. 15 This depicts the mantled arms of the Order in the centre surrounded by the latinized name and motto of the Order in gold – ORDO MILITARIS ET HOSITALARIS SANCTI LAZARI IERUSALEM – ATAVIS ET ARMIS. The edge is decorated by alternating series of the green eight-pointed cross and the banner of the Order. The back gives a brief outline of the history of the Order.This reads “THE MILITARY & HOSPITALLER ORDER OF SAINT LAZARUS OF JERUSALEM * ACCORDING TO TRADITION, this Order was formed before the Cristian era and reformed by Saint Basil in about 370 AD. It maintained Leprosaria in Palestine and, at the time of the Crusades formed part of the Cristian armies until defeated at the Siege of Acre. From 1291 it fell back on its European possessons and the Seat became the Commandery of Boigny (which had been given to the Grand Master by Louis VII in 1149). A part of the Seigneury, with one of two surviving Towers, still belongs to the Order. Today it has priories and commanderies in many parts of the world with its Grand Chancery at Castle Lanzun, Malta.”

15

Letter from Grand Custodian of Insignia Chev. T.A. Kieth-Hill to Grand Chancellor dated 9th June 1978. MHOSLJ Archives B23. Cavenswall China Co Ltd changed ownership in the late 1980s. The records of the original company owners have not been transferred to the present owners. Sive Philippa Simpson, Sales & Marketing Manager, SSCaverswall China Co ltd, Stork-on0Trent, U.K. in email dated 5th November 2013. 57 | P a g e


Author’s collection

Fund-raising Plate A Limoges porcelain hand-decorated plate was commissioned by the hospitaller of the commandery of Saint-Denis in France in 2013. 16 This depicts the green eight-pointed cross of the Order in the centre each point of the cross surmounted by a gold circle. The plate is bordered by green and gold circles. The project was initiated as a fund-raising endeavour to equip an orphanage in Haiti Lespwa Soley or a dispensary Al Wadi el Arayech near Zahle in Lebanon. The production cost was of €15 with a seling price of €30.

16

https://www.facebook.com/LazarusMalta#!/pages/Grand-Prieure-de-France-des-Hospitaliers-deSaint-Lazare-de-Jerusalem/326843427354 - 6th June 2013. 58 | P a g e


Maltese traditional clock An undated Maltese traditional clock with Order of St.Lazarus Symbol on crown, and Maltese cross symbols on door, gilded with elaborate 23 crt gold and platinum designs. Clock face gilded in Platinum Roman Numerals. The centre of the clock face shows picture of Saint Paul's Church in Rabat, Malta.17

17

https://www.facebook.com/LazarusMalta#!/ media/set/?set=a.542394322479678.1073741837.165208203531627&type=1 – 7th July 2013 59 | P a g e


60 | P a g e


61 | P a g e


61 | P a g e

The Sigillography and Commemorative artifacts of the Order of Saint Lazarus  

Catalogues the known seals, medallions, medals, philately, and commemorative plates of the Order of St. Lazarus over the centuries.