ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
PROGRAM GUIDE FALL 2017
CO-ED YOUTH SPORTS ENRICHMENT CLASSES GOLF CLASSIC BOOK & AUTHOR LUNCHEON BABY & ME CLASSES RACING WITH THE J SERIES LIVE THEATER ADULT TENNIS TOURNAMENT WINTER CAMP SPECIAL NEEDS PROGRAMS GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES ADULT UNIVERSITY WINTER FAMILY FESTIVAL LEVIS JCC
9801 DONNA KLEIN BLVD. BOCA RATON, FL 561-852-3200
Table of Contents
Levis JCC Hours
General Information................................. 2
Enrichment Classes.............................. 8-9
About the Levis JCC.................................. 3
Thrift Shop................................................. 9
Early Childhood......................................... 5
Sports & Wellness..............................12-14
Youth & Family.......................................... 6
Art, Culture & Learning..................... 15-18
Strengthening Our Community..............19
Holiday Hours & Closing Information Where indicated below, Levis JCC refers to all offices and buildings including the Sports & Wellness building.
Labor Day Monday, Sept 4 S&W open 8am – 12pm; Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
Sukkot Thursday, Oct 5 Levis JCC closed; Thrift Shop open
Rosh Hashanah - Erev Wednesday, Sept 20 Levis JCC closes at 12pm Rosh Hashanah Thursday, Sept 21 Levis JCC closed Rosh Hashanah Friday, Sept 22 Levis JCC closed; Thrift Shop open Yom Kippur - Erev Friday, Sept 29 Levis JCC closes at 12pm Yom Kippur Saturday, Sept 30 Levis JCC closed
Register for select classes, make online payments, view your statements and more! No account? Email email@example.com or call 561-852-3200.
Sukkot Friday, Oct 6 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. & offices closed Shemini Atzeret Thursday, Oct 12 Levis JCC closed; Thrift Shop open Simchat Torah Friday, Oct 13 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. & offices closed NOVEMBER 2017 Thanksgiving Eve Wednesday, Nov 22 Levis JCC closes at 4pm
Thanksgiving Day Thursday, Nov 23 S&W open 8am – 11am; all other bldgs. & offices closed Day After Thanksgiving Friday, Nov 24 S&W and Thrift shop open; all other bldgs. & offices closed DECEMBER 2017
SPORTS & WELLNESS CENTER (INCLUDING TENNIS) 561-852-3200 Monday - Thursday 6:00 am - 9:00 pm Friday 6:00 am - 5:00 pm Saturday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm SANDLER CENTER 561-558-2520 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY 561-558-2504 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm ADMINISTRATION 561-852-3200 Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm THRIFT SHOP 561-368-3665 Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Chanukah First Candle Tuesday, Dec 12 Levis JCC closes at 4pm Legal Holiday Eve Sunday, Dec 24 Levis JCC closes at 4pm Legal Holiday Monday, Dec 25 S&W open 8am – 12pm; all other bldgs. & offices closed New Year’s Eve Sunday, Dec 31 Levis JCC closes at 4pm
Welcome to the A message from Randy Colman, Executive Director Adolph & Rose Levis JCC is known throughout our community for top quality programming. Our preschool and camp, cultural arts, health & wellness and special needs programs provide thousands with meaningful and often critical activities, schooling and services. Our reputation is strong because our caring community is strong. The continuum of services that we proudly provide, reach people at every age and every stage of life. We are particularly proud to be able to assist families with scholarships through our financial assistance program, making quality preschool, summer camp, and special needs programing attainable for all who wish to participate.
Partnering with many organizations, we are deeply connected to our broader community. The Levis JCC enjoys a committed base of volunteers and leadership – people from various backgrounds and professional experiences working alongside our outstanding staff to guide our Center, and to make it the very best it can be. As we approach our fall season, we are proud to offer a full and exciting calendar of courses, programs, services and events. Once again, we’re pleased to offer up another season full of exciting, engaging, and enriching programs. I welcome you to join us! 561-852-3200
ABOUT THE LEVIS JCC The Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational programs for individuals of all ages. With a preschool, summer camp, family activities, athletics, cultural arts, adult enrichment and special needs programming, as well as a thrift shop for bargain hunters, the Levis JCC offers something for everyone. Learn more about each of our departments at levisjcc.org.
An enriching multi-faceted early childhood program designed to foster imagination, curiosity and intellect. Children develop a love for learning that lasts a lifetime and families connect with one another. For newborns and children up to age five. 561-852-3286 | firstname.lastname@example.org
For nearly 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the place to be for unforgettable summers for children ages 2-14. Pre and Post Care available from 7:30-9:00 am and 4:00-6:00 pm. 561-852-5090 | email@example.com
Upscale, resale, new, vintage, designer items and furniture â€“ even an antique or two...yours at the Levis JCC Thrift Shop.
Located at The Shops at University Park, 141 NW 20th Street C9, Boca Raton, FL 33431 561-368-3665 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sports & Wellness
Youth & Family
Keep kids connected all year through with Mini Camps, Co-Ed Youth Sports Leagues, Special Events and Holiday Programming for children preschool (age 3+) through 8th grade. 561-852-3117 | email@example.com
Whatever your childâ€™s passion, we have you covered for afternoons full of sports, learning, fun and friendship! 561-852-3286 | firstname.lastname@example.org 561-852-3212 | email@example.com
Embracing individuals with special needs and their families for more than 30 years, our 20+ programs for participants ages 3-50+ offer a variety of life-changing opportunities. Every family meets with our Program Director for a comprehensive intake. 561-852-3269 | firstname.lastname@example.org
A place for people of all ages to work out, participate in group exercise classes, join a league or participate in a wellness program to achieve a healthier body, mind and spirit. 561-852-3117 | email@example.com
Art, Culture & Learning
Offering a wide variety of arts and cultural activities throughout the year. Art lovers, music buffs, travelers, theatergoers and film enthusiasts alike will find a program to satisfy their passion. 561-558-2520 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC LEVISJCC.ORG
• Levis JCC Sprint & Sip 5K Sprint on over to South County Regional Park on Thursday, September 14 for the Levis JCC’s Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5k Run/ Walk. The first 300 to register will receive a free dri-fit shirt and finisher medal. Following the race, enjoy refreshments and beer from Barrel of Monks Brewery.
• 3rd Annual Pirate Adventure Ahoy, mateys! Pirates (boys ages 3-7) are invited to plunder for treasure and treats with the special woman in their lives at the Levis JCC Sandler Center 6:00 - 7:30 pm. The festivities include a craft project, a DJ, a photo booth, a pirate adventure and vittles. Come wearing your pirate best. Space is limited, register at levisjcc.org/pirates. Contact Nancy Carroll, Program Director at email@example.com or 561-852-3117.
11/23 • Levis JCC 9th Annual Turkey Trot Before the parades, the turkey and the football, come out and trot on Thanksgiving morning, November 24. Join the Levis JCC for our holiday tradition: the 9th Annual Turkey Trot 5k Race/Walk and Youth Fun Run. Registration is at 6:00 am. Contact Lauren Koblick, 561-852-3257.
11/9 - 11/19
10/8 • 3rd Annual Youth & Family Sukkot Celebration Come and shake it in our sukkah! Levis JCC & PJ Library® present this FREE parent/child interactive Sukkot event. Features arts & crafts, decorating the sukkah, snacks, music and storytelling by PJ Library®. 2:00 - 3:30 pm; open to the community. Space is limited. RSVP to Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117 or Elana Ostroff, PJ Library Director at email@example.com or 561-852-6080.
10/15 • Levis JCC Adult Tennis Doubles Tournament Join us on Sunday, Oct 15 starting at 9:00 am for our 4th Annual Doubles Tennis Tournament. Select from our three age categories 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s or women’s doubles. The cost is $25 per person. For more information please contact Nancy Carroll, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
10/23 • Levis JCC Annual Golf Classic Tee off with us! Enjoy a day on the green at Addison Reserve Country Club for a great cause; the event benefits Levis JCC programs and scholarships. Registration is at 10:30 am with a noon Shotgun Start. Contact Cindy Bergman, 561-852-3253
• God of Carnage Opening the Theater at the J 2017-18 season, this Tony Award-Winning Play (2009) is centered around a playground altercation between eleven-year-old boys. Two sets of Brooklyn parents come together for a meeting to resolve the matter. See page 16.
11/14 • 27th Annual Book & Author Luncheon The Levis JCC presents four best-selling authors at this perennial sell-out event held at Boca West Country Club. Enjoy coffee & pastries, author presentations, book signings and lunch. Registration begins at 9:00 am. Call 561-558-2520.
11/16 • Baby & Me Character Breakfast Little ones will light up as they laugh with their favorite furry friends at this annual meet and greet. Enjoy breakfast and bring friends. 9:30 - 11:00 am in Zinman Hall. Contact Anita Schwartz, 561-852-3286.
11/30 • Mammovan at the J Levis JCC and Boca Raton Regional Hospital make this critical screening easy and convenient. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. For appointments, call 561-955-4700 (options 1 & 2). Contact Nancy Carroll, Program Director at email@example.com or 561-852-3117.
12/6 • B*Stylish & B*Giving: Bloomingdale’s Fashion Presentation Enjoy a fashion show and presentation of fabulous finds for holiday gifting. The event benefits the Levis JCC Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department programs. 10:30 am at Bloomingdale’s, Town Center at Boca Raton. Contact Lainie Tantleff, 561-852-3207.
12/10 • Winter Family Festival Explore all of the amazing things the Levis JCC has to offer. Visit our Zale Early Childhood Learning Center, meet our teachers and tour our classrooms. Fun activities for the entire family include inflatables, a petting zoo, face painting, camp activities, rockwall, entertainment, games and food for purchase. 10:30 am - 2:30 pm. Contact Nancy Carroll, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117 or Anita Schwartz, 561 852-3286.
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC PAGE 4
EARLY CHILDHOOD Levis JCC Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center KIM GREENBAUM & STACEY ROSENBERG | Co-Directors | 561-852-3286 | email@example.com PRESCHOOL PROGRAM Visit our classrooms and chat with our Twos, Threes and Pre-K teachers about how our curriculum and classroom learning build the skills that are necessary for children to become great problem solvers, successful students and lifelong learners. Full-time and part-time programs for children ages 20 months-5 years. Classes run August 22 - May 17. For all preschool class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/preschool
BABY & ME PROGRAM 2017-2018
In partnership with West Boca Medical Center.
Weekly theme based classes filled with motor and sensory activities, singing and sharing time are designed to give parents and caregivers the opportunity to share meaningful time with their little ones while bonding and learning together. Classes start the week of August 29 and run through May 17 unless noted. For all Baby & Me class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/babyandme. • Blooming Babies With Marianne Altschul, MSW. This free 8-week class offers new parents the opportunity to discover the wonders of their amazing newborns while meeting and sharing with other parents. For babies birth-4 months. Fall Session: 8 Thursdays > September 7 -November 16 > 1:00 - 2:00 pm > FREE Spring Session: 8 Thursdays > January 18 -March 8 > 1:00 - 2:00 pm > FREE • Tiny Tots - Winter Session (birthdates 5/1/17 - 9/1/17)
SEPARATION CLASSES Parents attend this class with their child and then gradually separate while their child continues to explore and develop in a secure and loving environment. • Turning Two (birthdates 1/1/16 - 5/31/16) > August 22 - May 17 > Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 - 10:30 am > Beginning in January, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm > $2,310 • Nearly Two (birthdates 9/2/15 - 12/31/15) > August 23 - May 16 > Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:00 - 11:00 am > Beginning in January, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm > $3,825
> January 11 - May 17 > Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm > $396 • Bright Beginnings (birthdates 1/1/17 - 5/31/17) > Tuesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm > $630
• Creative Crawlers (birthdates 9/2/16 - 12/31/16) > Tuesdays, 10:30 - 11:30 am > $630 • Ones Are Fun (birthdates 5/1/16 - 9/1/16) > Tuesdays, 9:00 - 10:00 am > $630
Preschool Mini Camp Join us for fun-filled days with exciting themes and special entertainment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. > December 26-29, January 2-5 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > $65 per day > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am $6 per day
Schedule a tour by emailing email@example.com or register now at 561-852-3286 LEVISJCC.ORG
YOUTH & FAMILY Special Events and Programs NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | firstname.lastname@example.org MINI CAMPS
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES & CLINICS
• NEW Thanksgiving Mini Camp Powered by YES > November 20-22 > $65 per day > Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day (no post care 11/22) > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day
• Perseverance Basketball Fall Academy Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > Tuesdays, August 29- October 17 (no class 10/3) > 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm, 3rd - 8th grade > $140, T-shirt included
• Perseverance Basketball Fall Academy Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > Wednesdays, August 30 - October 18 (no class 9/20) > 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm, 3rd -5th grade > 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm, 6th - 8th grade > $140, T-shirt included
• Winter Mini Camps > Week 1: December 26-29; Week 2: January 2-5 > 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am, $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 pm, $8 per day (close at 5pm on Fridays) > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day
• Fall Co-Ed Youth Basketball League Powered by YES Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1
> YES Sports Camp > Offered both weeks > Pre-K-4th > $65 per day; $235 for the week (4 consecutive days) > Contact John Sprenger at email@example.com or 561-852-3117 > Perseverance Basketball Camp > Offered both weeks > Grades 3rd - 8th > $65 per day; $235 for the week (4 consecutive days) > Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117 > Travel Day Camp > Offered both weeks > Grades 3rd - 8th > $65 per day > Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117 > Marleen Forkas Camp > Offered week 1 > Grades Pre-K - 5th > $65 per day, $235 for 4 consecutive days > Email firstname.lastname@example.org > MizFit Dance Camp > Offered week 2 > Grades Pre-K - 4th > $65 per day, $235 for 4 consecutive days > Email email@example.com Refer to page 5 for Preschool Mini Camp.
> Sundays, September 17 - December 3, 10 weeks (no class 10/15, 11/26) > 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, 3-5 year olds, YFB5810 > 12:30 - 1:45 pm, Grades K-2, YFB5811 > $160, T-shirt & trophy included
• Perseverance Basketball Fall League Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1 AFTER SCHOOL YOUTH CONDITIONING PROGRAM Work with certified instructors to create a well-balanced weekly workout, maintaining and/or improving physical health and mental well-being. Program features boot camp, cardio, circuit, kickboxing, core strength, cross training, HIIT, strength training, flexibility and yoga. A minimum of 3 people required to run the program. Located in the Group Exercise Studio. Call September 561-852-3209 for information.
> Saturdays, October 21 - December 16 (no class 11/25)
> 4th-5th grade (Co-ed) > Games: Saturdays, 11:00 am > Practices: Thursdays, 5:45 -6:30 pm
> 6th - 8th grade (Co-ed) > Games: Saturdays, 12:00 or 1:00 pm > Practices: Thursdays, 6:30 - 7:15 pm > $160
> Mondays, September 11-December 18, 15 weeks, 3:30-4:30 pm > Ages 11-15 (teens) > $270, drop in $20 per class >Thursdays, September 14 - December 21, 10 weeks, 3:30 - 4:30 pm (no class - 9/21, 10/5, 10/12, 11/9, 11/23) > Ages 8-11 (tweens) > $180, drop in $20 per class
Register by contacting Levis JCC Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 6
SUMMER CAMP Marleen Forkas Summer Camp JONATHAN MARCUS | Camp Director | 561-852-5090 | email@example.com
Early Bird Special SAVE BIG ON SUMMER FUN! Save up to $500 by registering by September 15. Visit levisjcc.org/camp for details. BELIEVE IN CAMP The Levis JCC has been providing children ages 2-14 with fun-filled summer camp experiences since 1986. Let Levis JCC Marleen Forkas Summer Camps empower your child with a truly special and enriching experience that will help shape his or her life forever.
SAVE $ 500 UP TO
THEATER CAMP A comprehensive program for 7-14 year olds that builds to a final production. We also offer a four-week summer CIT â€œApprenticeâ€? program for 15-16 year olds to learn acting, lighting and stage techniques, set design, direction and stage management. Session 2 includes a trip to Disney World. 4-week sessions (9:00 am - 3:00 pm), Pre-care 8:00 - 9:00 am, Post-care: 3:00 - 6:00 pm. Session 1 - Peter Pan Jr.: June 11 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session 2 - The Little Mermaid Jr: July 9 - August 3
EARLY CHILDHOOD CAMP A variety of activities tailored for children ages 2-4. Campers thrive in this warm, nurturing environment with low camper-to staff ratios and personal attention. Sessions run 4 weeks, choose from 3 and 5 day options. All sessions begin at 9:00 am. Pick up times vary. Session A: June 11 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session B: July 9 - August 3 UPPER CAMP (K-9TH GRADE) Summer fun with classic activities including archery, swimming, tennis, soccer, crafts, field trips and a real flying trapeze! Older campers choose from a variety of electives. 2-week sessions, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Session 1: June 11 - June 22 Session 2: June 25 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session 3: July 9 - July 20 Session 4: July 23 - August 3
CIT PROGRAM (ENTERING 10TH GRADE) Young adults assist counselors and gain leadership training and experience. Under supervision, CITs work directly with children and balance work responsibilities with lots of summer fun. STAFF Enthusiastic, energetic, caring, committed and carefully screened counselors take great care of campers, while our specialists share their expertise in art, music, sports and science, making each day an adventure. To apply visit our website at levisjcc.org/ camp. Applicants must be available for the full camp season.
Schedule a tour by calling 561-852-5090 or register now at levisjcc.org/camp LEVISJCC.ORG
ENRICHMENT CLASSES Preschool and Sports & Wellness Classes PRESCHOOL ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3286 | firstname.lastname@example.org SPORTS & WELLNESS ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3212 | email@example.com NEW! MORNING ENRICHMENT • Ready, Set, Write with Dana Ball, MS, OTR/L Engage in fun and educational fine motor activities including coloring, cutting, hand strengthening and handwriting. Help improve your child’s skills or simply give them a JUMP START into their academic future. > Tuesdays, August 29 - December 19, 16 weeks (no class 11/21) > 8:00 - 8:45 am, Pre-K only, ENR3904.A, $352 > Thursdays, August 31 - December 21, 13 weeks (no class 9/21, 10/5, 10/12, or 11/23) > 8:00 - 8:45 am, Pre-K only, ENR3904.B, $286 MONDAYS, SEPTEMBER 11 - DECEMBER 18 (15 weeks) • Mini Chefs* Children measure, mix, pour, and stir their own delectables while developing important skills such as math, language and science. Zale Classroom. > 1:00 - 1:45 pm, ENR3900, $272 > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3902, $272 > 3:30 - 4:15 pm, ENR3903, $272 • Super Sports - Powered by YES Our experienced and professional staff will teach a variety of sports skills including soccer, basketball, football & baseball. Children will play fun games that are safe and will keep them happy and engaged. All equipment is specially designed to be age appropriate in both size & weight. Children must be toilet trained no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5407, $255 • NEW! Gymnastics and Tumbling Powered by Gymnastics and Movement This class focuses on gymnastics tumbling skills and proper technique development. Your child will learn the basic skills of gymnastics in a fun, noncompetitive environment. Your child is going to “FLIP” to come to class! Children must be toilet
trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5435, $255 • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Children will be taught essential safety and swimming skills. All Pace Setters instructors are Red Cross certified. Parents must be present to change their child after their lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool.
• Soccer - Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of soccer through mini-games and drills. They will learn ball control, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54001, $255
> 1:00 - 1:50 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5462, $255 > 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5463, $255 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5464, $255 TUESDAYS, SEPTEMBER 12 - DECEMBER 19 (15 weeks) • Zumba with Mizfit* Innovative dance styles of Zumba and Hip Hop are set to popular music to ensure the children will be moving and grooving. Zale Classroom. > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3955, $247
WEDNESDAYS, SEPTEMBER 13 - DECEMBER 20 (12 weeks No class 9/20, 11/22, 11/29) • NEW! Ooey Gooey Science Explore and learn about science through hands-on sensory experiences! Zale Classroom. > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3904, $223 • Tennis - Powered by All-Stars Performance Services This class is a fun introduction to tennis for the youngest tennis player using games to teach fundamental skills. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 10.
• Ballet with Miss Sara Dancers leap and twirl through the basics of ballet as they are introduced to the concepts of grace, line, posture, stretch and creative improvisation. Basic elements of ballet warm-ups and traveling steps are taught in a developmentally appropriate way. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 5, maximum 12. Sports & Wellness Group Exercise Studio > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5433, $255 > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5434, $255
> 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5472, $216 (Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) > 3:30 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5470, $216 (Tennis Courts, Rain plan: Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) • Karate - Powered by Villani’s Shaolin Kempo Karate Villani’s Shaolin Kempo Karate combines the Shaolin Kung Fu, Kempo, Karate, and parts of several other disciplines including Western Boxing, Jujutsu, and Chin Na. The benefits of martial arts training include
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 8
focus, discipline, respect, confidence, self-defense, empowerment, self-esteem, conflict resolution, self-control, antibullying, flexibility, health and fitness. Master instructor Mark Pearson is 8th degree black belt with over 35 years of experience. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 6, maximum 20. Group Exercise Studio. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5415, $216 > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, Ages 5-7, ENR5416, $216 THURSDAYS, SEPTEMBER 14 - DECEMBER 21 (11 weeks No class 9/21, 10/5, 10/12, 11/23) • Basketball - Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of basketball through mini-games and drills. They will learn dribbling, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5422, $187 • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Children will be taught essential safety and swimming skills. All Pace Setters instructors are Red Cross certified. Parents must be present to change child after the lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare
program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool. > 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5460, $187 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5461, $187 FRIDAYS, SEPTEMBER 15 - DECEMBER 22 (10 weeks No class 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 11/24)
• Shabbat Rocks* Children join Miss Wendy, Charlie and Schnitzel each week on an interactive adventure as they experience their Jewish heritage. Zale Classroom. > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3961, $165 *Preschool enrichment classes open to children enrolled in Levis JCC Zale’s 2-year old, 3-year old and Pre-K programs. Zale classes are 45 minutes.
• SUPERSTARS - Powered by YES Do you know your child’s favorite sport? Let YES help you figure it out. Your child will try different sports such as basketball, soccer, t-ball, and movement games. We will teach them the skills they need to succeed while having fun. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. >1:00 - 1:45 pm, 2 yrs, ENR 5446, $160 • T-Ball/ Football - Powered by YES Boys and girls will be taught the correct way to catch, hit and throw through drills and mini-games. Children must be toilet trained -no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54004, $170
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email email@example.com or call 561-852-3262 unless noted
THRIFT SHOP Levis JCC Thrift Shop
The Shops at University Park, 141 NW 20th Street C9, Boca Raton, FL 33431 Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
ALIZA SASONI | Manager | 561-368-3665 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Events 29TH BIRTHDAY BASH SPECIAL SALES Join us for special sales, goodie bags and raffles as we celebrate 29 years of fabulous, thrifty finds at the Levis JCC Thrift Shop. Come to party, stay to shop, save and support your community. Proceeds support vital Levis JCC programming. Call 561-368-3665. • Sunday, November 11, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
DONATE New or gently used clothing, shoes, purses, jewelry, furniture, home accessories, collectibles, household items and cars are greatly appreciated. All donations are tax deductible. Call to schedule a pick-up of furniture. Drop off items in bags and boxes at the Levis JCC Thrift Shop or in the Sports & Wellness Building. SHOP Thrifty fashion mavens delight in finding treasures at bargain prices in our Shop and at the display case at the entrance to the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness building.
VOLUNTEER Volunteers are a vital part of our success. We welcome help with pricing, displaying, selling, prepping, sorting, telephone and office work. GIVING NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE Ready to free up some closet space for this season’s hottest trends? Stylish ladies and gentlemen, please consider donating your designer clothing and accessories to the Levis JCC Thrift Shop. These fabulous items will be featured in our Designer Boutique Section.
SPECIAL NEEDS Levis JCC Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department ALI LANDMAN | Program Director | 561-852-3269 | email@example.com include campus and community venues. Summer camp activities include swimming, sports, fitness, arts and crafts, science, karate, music, dance, yoga and field trips! Contact Ali Landman, 561-852-3269 or firstname.lastname@example.org. • Winter On Campus Camp and Off Campus Field Trip Camp > December 26-29 and January 2-5 (8 days) > $55 per day or $400 for all 8 days • Spring On Campus Camp and Off Campus Field Trip Camp > March 19-23 (5 days) > $55 per day or $250 for all 5 days
FIT & FUN SPORTS PROGRAMS • Fall and Spring Grades Pre-K - 12. Participants (grouped by age/skill level) enhance sports and fitness skills through obstacle courses, relay races and other skill building activities. Credentialed coaches and teen volunteer buddies assist each participant in having fun while achieving maximum success!
• Summer Camp > June 11 - August 3 (no camp July 4) > $800 per 2-week session Camp Kavod year-round programs are generously underwritten by founding sponsor FMSbonds, Inc., Marleen Forkas, Hands on Tzedakah, The Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, Laurence W. Levine Foundation, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Pythian Youth Foundation, Publix Supermarkets Charities, the Milgram Family, Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation and the Barton and Shirley Weisman Foundation.
PAUL MARKHOFF OTZAR SUNDAY SCHOOL PROGRAM Grades K - 12. Otzar (Hebrew for Treasure) Sunday School Program offers students a Judaic education that fosters enriched participation in Jewish life. Students are grouped by age and developmental skill level. > Sundays, September 17 - May 6, 9:00 - 11:00 am > $750 Otzar is generously funded by the Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation.
Fall Session: (Grades Pre-K - 5) > 8 Sundays, September 24 – December 3 (no classes 10/15, 11/19, 11/26) > Grades Pre-K - 5, 12:30 - 2:00 pm > $135 Spring Session: (Grades Pre-K - 12) > 6 Sundays, March 25 – May 6 (no class 4/1) > Grades Pre-K - 5, 12:30 - 2:00 pm > Grades 6 - 12, 2:30 - 4:00 pm > $100 This program is generously underwritten by Howard J. Gelb, M.D., P.A., Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC., Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton and Boca Raton Regional Hospital, City of Boca Raton and Boca Rio Foundation
MARLEEN FORKAS CAMP KAVOD YEAR-ROUND PROGRAMS Grades Pre-K - 12. Camp Kavod has highly qualified, nurturing staff and low camper to staff ratios, ensuring that campers experience a safe, well supervised, funfilled, typical camp program while acquiring vital life skills. Winter/Spring program
PARENTS NIGHT OUT/ KIDS NIGHT OUT Pre-K - Middle School. Parents enjoy a night out while the kids enjoy a night of entertainment, crafts, story time, games, snacks and a movie. Staff ratio is 1:4. Contact Lainie Tantleff, 561-852-3207 or email@example.com. > Saturdays, October 7, November 4, December 2, January 13, February 3, March 3, April 14 and May 5, 5:00 - 9:00 pm > $100 for all 8 sessions Program generously sponsored by Hands on Tzedakah (HOT)
For information or to schedule an intake meeting, contact Ali Landman at 561-852-3269 or firstname.lastname@example.org unless noted PAGE 10
YOGA FOR TEENS AND ADULTS Therapeutic yoga class open to teens and adults who are able to participate independently. Instructor focuses on relaxation and calming techniques. • Fall Session: > 8 Wednesdays, September 27 November 15, 5:30 - 6:15 pm > $125 • Winter Session: > 8 Wednesdays, January 17- March 7, 5:30 - 6:15 pm > $125 Program generously sponsored by Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton and City of Boca Raton.
MOVE & MINGLE YEAR ROUND ADULT FITNESS PROGRAM Ages 16+. Adults learn about fitness equipment, exercising at their own pace and meeting new friends. Offered three times each year. • Fall Session > 8 Thursdays, September 28 –December 7, 7:00 - 8:00 pm > $135 per session, Levis JCC Members: $110 • Winter/Spring Session > 12 Tuesdays, 12 Thursdays, January 16 – April 3, 7:00 - 8:00 pm > $200 one day a week per session, Levis JCC Members: $175; $400 two days a week per session, Levis JCC Members: $350 • Summer Session > 6 Thursdays, June 14-July 19 > $110 per session, Levis JCC Members: $85 Program generously sponsored by Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton and City of Boca Raton.
SCHWEDELSON YEAR-ROUND ADULT SOCIAL PROGRAMS • Schwedelson Young Adult Social Scene (Ages 18-29) • Schwedelson Sunday Social Scene (Ages 30-50s) Experienced group leaders provide a warm and welcoming year-round social program for adults functioning at a high level of independence. Participants attend sporting events, bowling, theater, festivals, movies, picnics, restaurants, museums, concerts, participate in community service projects and can attend a weekend trip to a popular Florida destination—and much more! > Sundays, September 17 - May 6, 3-4 hours (varies depending upon activity) > Summer program dates to be announced in May > $325, Levis JCC Members: $225 Program generously underwritten by the Schwedelson Foundation for more than 25 years.
SAVVY PROGRAM: SAFETY & SELF-DEFENSE Women ages 16+. Innovative self-defense, safety and self-awareness program for teenage girls and women. Participants will learn useful and realistic self-defense skills as well as social and emotional skills necessary to assert themselves in social situations. They will also learn how to make good choices about personal safety and much more! • Fall Session > 8 classes, Thursdays, September 28 December 7, 6:00 - 7:00 pm > $130 • Winter Session > 24 classes, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 16 - April 5, 6:00 - 7:00 pm > $380 Program generously funded by City of Boca Raton.
SATURDAY PLAY AT THE J Ages 4+. This new program is designed to enable families to have respite time for themselves while their child is participating in a well supervised, structured, on-campus, camp-like program. Parents can enjoy the time relaxing, running errands or spend time with friends and family, with the comfort of knowing their child is being cared for in a nurturing environment. > Saturdays, October 21, November 18, December 16, January 20, February 17, March 17, April 21, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm > $100 for all 7 dates
FUN DRUM ENRICHMENT PROGRAM Ages 4-12. The instructor will introduce different types of drums to the children to enhance sensory skills. They will have the opportunity to learn to follow directions and take turns while they experiment with the instruments. > Thursdays, April 5, 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 5:00-5:45 pm > $50 for all 6 classes PARENT & CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP AND SIBLING SUPPORT GROUP Facilitated by professionals at Ruth & Norman Rales Jewish Family Services. Contact Tzippi Rosen, Special Needs Outreach Coordinator 561-852-3112. COMMUNITY SERVICE AND OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Volunteer in our Fit & Fun Sports Program, Paul Markhoff Otzar Sunday School Program or Marleen Forkas Camp Kavod Year-Round Programs to make a difference in our community. Contact Ali Landman, Program Director, 561-852-3269 or email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATE B*Stylish and B*Giving: A Holiday Fashion Presentation • Wednesday, December 6 and Thursday, December 7, 10:30 am 2 days of non-stop shopping to benefit the Levis JCC’s Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department LEVISJCC.ORG
> At Bloomingdale’s, Town Center at Boca Raton > Contact Lainie Tantleff, firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3207
SPORTS & WELLNESS Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Department See page 2 for Sports & Wellness Center hours.
NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | email@example.com PERSONAL TRAINING Featuring exciting and innovative personal training fitness programs, TRX, Kettlebells and personal one on one assisted stretching. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, 561-852-3209. • 1/2 Hour Sessions > Single: $32, Package of 5: $145, Package of 10: $269 • 45 Minute Sessions > Single: $47, Package of 5: $225, Package of 10: $425
AQUATICS AT THE J POWERED BY PACE SETTERS Learn to swim in a nurturing, structured environment. Improve your skills and empower yourself in the water. Contact Kym Backers, 561-503-6768, firstname.lastname@example.org. • Private and group lessons • Swim Club • Birthday parties
• Mind/Body Classes Yoga, PilateSculpt, YogaLaTai, Pilates
*Reservations for Spinning are taken at 12:30 pm the day before the class. Reservations for Sunday classes are taken 12:30 pm on Fridays. Reserve your bike online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
For additional packages or to train with a partner, call 561-852-3209 or visit levisjcc.org/personaltraining
• Low Impact Classes Light-N-Lively, Young At Heart, SilverSneakers®, Super Sculpt, Barre**
NEW! PERSONAL ONE ON ONE ASSISTED STRETCHING • 1/2 Hour Sessions: $15 • 1 Hour Sessions: $30
• Fitness Orientations All new members are entitled to one complimentary orientation and one complimentary 1/2 hour personal training session. Floor staff are always available for workout assistance. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, (561) 852-3209 to schedule an appointment.
• Group Classes Each week numerous classes are offered for ages 12+ and every fitness level.
• High Impact Classes H.I.I.T., Zumba, Body Blast, 20/20/20, Spinning*
• 1 Hour Sessions > Single: $60, Package of 5: $275, Package of 10: $499
HEALTH & WELLNESS Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator and Trainer, (561) 852-3209, unless noted.
GROUP EXERCISE Please visit levisjcc.org for updated class listings and times. Free to members. Contact September Christos, 561-852-3209.
TENNIS AT THE J POWERED BY ALL STAR PERFORMANCE SERVICES Tennis lessons for all ages and levels with certified and experienced coaching staff. Contact Mario Jiminez, 561-303-4955, email@example.com. • Group and private lessons
• Barre Classes** > Mondays, 9:30 am - Beyond Barre > Wednesdays, 7:30 am - CARDIO Barre > Saturdays, 8:30 am - Barre > Third Sunday of the month, 9:00 am Barre > FREE to members, $15 guests > Barre socks required **Reservations for Barre are taken at 8:30 am the day before the class. Reservations for Sunday classes are taken 8:30 am on Fridays. Reserve your space online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
FUN. FITNESS. COMMUNITY.
• Abs and Total Body Stretch Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30-9:00 am in the Fitness Center • Yofi Skin Care Pampering with a European flair. Enjoy professional skin care treatments by our Licensed Esthetician from Yofi Skin Care. Levis JCC Members receive discounts on some treatments. Call (561) 852-3284 to schedule your appointment.
DETAILS ON PAGE 13
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org PAGE 12
JCC MACCABI GAMES® 2018 MITCHELL DOBBIN MACCABI TEAM ORANGE COUNTY, CA AUGUST 5-10
ADULT SPORTS • Men’s Softball Level of play B/C, 6-10 arc, slow pitch. Team shirt included. Must be 18 years or older to participate. Accepting individuals and full teams.
• JCC Maccabi Games® > Unite with nearly 3,000 Jewish teens from around the world for a life-transforming week of competition and camaraderie. > Jewish Teens 13 - 16 (as of July 31, 2018) > The Boca Delegation seeks athletes for Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Boys Baseball, Boys Lacrosse, Girls Volleyball, Swimming, Tennis, Golf and Dance. > Tryouts are scheduled for Sunday afternoons, January 21 and January 28. > For further information, contact Lesley Surfer, 561-852-3212 or email@example.com
> Sunday mornings, starting in September at South County Regional Park > $110, Members: $80 > Contact Jonathan Marcus, 561-852-3231
RACING WITH THE J: RUNNING SERIES Whether you run, walk or just come to cheer, the Levis JCC’s three 5K Races bring fitness, fun and community together. Join in the fun at South County Regional Park! Visit levisjcc.org/5k for current race information or contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257. • Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5K Sprint on over to South County Regional Park on Thursday, September 14 for the Levis JCC’s Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5k Run/ Walk. The first 300 to register will receive a free dri-fit shirt and finisher medal. Following the race, enjoy refreshments and beer from Barrel of Monks Brewery. > Thursday, September 14, 7:00 pm • 9th Annual Turkey Trot 5K On Thanksgiving Day, run before stuffing! First 1,500 to register will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt!
• The Stuart & Paula Graff Tennis Courts > 6 Plexipave tennis courts > To reserve, contact Marsha Ismach at 561-852-3268
> Thursday, November 23 > 5k race begins at 7:30 am > Youth 1-mile Fun Run starts at 8:30 am
DOUBLES TENNIS TOURNAMENT Sunday, October 15 9:00 am
• 8th Annual Run, Sweat & Beers 5K Finish first, then quench your thirst—runners and guests celebrate after the finish line with wings, beer and refreshments (must be 21 with ID for beer). First 700 registered will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt! > Thursday, July 19, 7:00 pm
Adults ages 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s or women’s doubles $25 per person Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org, (561) 852-3117
G LF CLASSIC OCTOBER 23, 2017 AT Honoring
Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Family Foundation
REGISTER ONLINE LEVISJCC.ORG/GOLF
For sponsorship opportunities or more information, contact Lauren Koblick, Special Events Director, 561-852-3257 or email@example.com
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC LEVISJCC.ORG
Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Membership MEMBER SERVICES • Levis JCC Locker Rental > Full locker $120/year, half locker $60/year > Towels are available for $1 a day LEVIS JCC SPORTS & WELLNESS MEMBERSHIP RATES There are membership categories for individuals, families, and students. No one is denied membership to the Levis JCC because of race, religion or inability to pay. Contact Marsha Ismach, Membership Coordinator at (561) 852-3268 for information about membership.
LEVIS JCC COPANOS KIDFIT Drop off the kids in a supervised, friendly environment while you work out. Featuring Wii Sports & Fitness, Xbox 360, rockclimbing wall, indoor playground and slide. > Monday - Friday 8:00 - 10:30 am > Saturday & Sunday 8:00 - 11:30 am > Members: $4 (guests $8) per child per hour > 3 - 11 years old
CHILDCARE Supervised childcare in our Sports & Wellness building. > Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 10:30 am Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 - 11:30 am > 3 months - 2 1/2 years old, $4 per hour (guests $8) per child per hour
• Arts & Learning/ Sports & Wellness Membership 10% off any membership listed except student memberships; no enrollment fee. • SilverSneakers® This free (for participants enrolled with qualifying insurance companies) Sports & Wellness Center membership offers access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, sauna and other amenities and allows active adults to take greater control of their health. Visit www.silversneakers.com or call 1-888-423-4632 to see if you qualify. • Corporate Membership A 20% discount on membership fees is extended to businesses and organizations with at least 5 employees joining the Levis JCC. The individual enrollment fee is reduced to $35 per membership. • Seasonal Membership Whether you are in town for a short visit or here all winter, enjoy the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Center for $45 per month per person. No enrollment fee.
All Memberships include a one-time $69 enrollment fee unless noted. TYPE
FULL FAMILY 2 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
COUPLE Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL WITH CHILDREN 1 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
INDIVIDUAL, EVENING & WEEKEND Ages 18+ Mon - Thurs: 5:00 - 9:00 pm, Fri 4:00 - 5:00 pm, Sat 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
SUPER SAVER Mon - Fri: 12:00 - 4:00 pm, Sat: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
COLLEGE STUDENT Full time 12+ credits, student ID/ transcript required
$23 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
TEEN STUDENT Ages 12-18
$18 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org PAGE 14
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING Levis JCC Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Center
The following is a sampling of our programs. Look for our Art, Culture & Learning brochure which features a complete schedule. All programs are held in the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted and are subject to change.
SUSANA FLAUM | Director | 561-558-2520 | email@example.com Sylvia & Jerry Wolens 2017-2018 Cultural Season ARTS & LEARNING MEMBERSHIP A&L Platinum Membership ($550) and A&L Gold Membership ($75) is offered on a yearly basis September 1 - August 31. Gold Members enjoy significant discounts and Platinum Members enjoy a vast selection of programs at no cost. Combined Levis JCC Sports & Wellness and A&L members enjoy special discounts. For membership details and a complete list of benefits, call the Sandler Center at 561-558-2520. Membership is not required to attend any Sandler Center Programs. LITERATURE: AUTHORS & THEIR BOOKS • 27th Annual Book & Author Luncheon A literary feast for book lovers. Best-selling authors present their latest works; includes author presentations and lunch. Featuring: Lauren Belfer, Jamie Brenner, Peter Gethers, and a fourth author to be announced. > Tuesday, November 14, 9:00 am, Boca West Country Club > Call 561-558-2520 for more information Generously underwritten by the Myrna Lippman Literary Fund, Lenore Tagerman, Marilyn Rothstein, and Boca Raton Regional Hospital
• A Literary Afternoon Series Personal appearances by noted authors, discussions and book signings. Learn about their works and the creative process. > Tuesdays, 2:30 pm > December 5, Betsy Carter, We Were Strangers Once and Carol Zoref, Barren Island > January 9, Sana Krasikov, The Patriots > February 6, TBA > March 6, Joseph Kertes, The Afterlife of Stars and Jessica Keener, Strangers in Budapest > March 27, Jill Santopolo, The Light We Lost > Individual program: $25, A&L Gold Members: $20, A&L Platinum Members: Free This series is generously underwritten by Charna Larkin and the Myrna Lippman Literary Fund. The Levis JCC is a member of the Jewish Book Network sponsored by the Jewish Book Council.
• Sandler Center and Barnes & Noble Book Fair Benefitting the Levis JCC Sandler Center. Featuring local authors, refreshments, coloring class, games and more. Purchase books by authors who will appear at the Sandler Center this season. > Wednesday, November 1, Barnes & Noble, University Commons, 1400 Glades Road, Boca Raton • The Levis JCC Book Club Visit levisjcc.org/bookclub or call 561-558-2520 for titles. > First Thursday of each month, September - May, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > $8, A&L Gold Members: $6, A&L Platinum Members: Free NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY
The Nathan D. Rosen Museum Gallery is generously underwritten by The Sylvia Rosen Fund.
• Early Fall Exhibition: September 11 - October 22 > His & Hers: The Legacy of Leslie & Sydelle Sher Featuring the works of Les Sher, known as Sir Stamps-A-Lot, and his wife, portrait painter Sydelle Sher, this exhibit is a tribute to their art and artistry. > Closing Reception: Sunday, October 22, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > Free, RSVP 561-558-2520. • Late Fall Exhibition: November 5 - 28 > Illuminations: Aleph to Tav by artist Lynn Rae Lowe While best known for her award-winning Dancing Sylphs® Judaica, metal art sculptures and intensely colorful Aluminations®, Lynn Rae Lowe’s new work reflects her passion for the ancient wisdom and symbolism of the Hebrew alphabet. > Opening Reception: Sunday, November 5, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > Artist’s Talk by Lynn Rae Lowe, 1:30 pm > Free, RSVP 561-558-2520. • Winter Exhibition: December 6 - January 4 > Karen Windchild Windchild’s work embodies spiritual and natural forces through materials such as paint, clay, and found objects.
> Opening Reception: Wednesday, December 6, 2:00 - 4:00 pm > Artists’s Talk by Karen Windchil, 2:30 pm > Free, RSVP 561-558-2520. ART • Art Tours Call 561-558-2504 for tour dates and prices. See page 18. • Art Workshops > Drawing It Out with Visiting Artist Lynn Rae Lowe Discover easy ways to nurture creative thinking and expand intuition. No artistic ability or experience needed. > Monday, November 6, 1:00 - 2:30 pm or 7:00 - 8:30 pm > $30 > NEW! Silk Handkerchief Painting with Constance Byrd Make your own distinctive design using the salt technique. This perfect-sized handkerchief makes a great gift. > Friday, December 8, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > $35 includes one handkerchief and supplies. > Pottery Classes Learn techniques for pottery on the wheel, hand building and clay sculpting. All levels are welcome. All sessions include free studio time. Basic tools are available for student use. Clay is available for purchase. Additional $25 supply fee per session. All classes are 9:30 am - 12:30 pm except where noted. > Mondays, October 16 - December 18 > 10-week session: $350, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $320 > Tuesdays, October 17 - December 19 > 10-week session: $350, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $320 > This class is also offered 6:00 - 9:00 pm > Wednesdays, October 18 - December 20 > 10-week session: $350, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $320 > Thursdays, October 19 - December 21 no class 11/23 > 9-week session: $315, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $228
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING THEATER AT THE J: 2017-18 SEASON Purchase tickets online at levisjcc.org/theater. Theater at the J is The Sandler Centers’ black box stage theater, presenting performances to the public throughout the year. We present professional awardwinning musicals, non-musicals, and cabarets, in addition to giving members of our community the opportunity to participate in professional-quality theater onstage, backstage, and from the audience. Call the Box Office at 561-558-2512. • God of Carnage A playground altercation between eleven-year-old boys brings together two sets of Brooklyn parents for a meeting to resolve the matter. At first, diplomatic niceties are observed, but as the meeting progresses, and the rum flows, tensions emerge and the gloves come off, leaving the couples with more than just their liberal principles in tatters. Winner of the 2009 Tony Award for Best Play and Laurence Oliver Award for Best Comedy.
> November 9-19 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free West Boca Theater Company Presents • The Camp
A New World Premier by Michael McKeever and Directed by Michael Leeds.
The end of the war is rapidly approaching and Captain Franklin Payne and his men are anxious to get to Berlin. Along the way, they are detoured to a small village in the Bavarian Forest. But all is not what it seems in this tiny tranquil town. What starts as an overnight respite evolves into an examination of man’s indifference to the suffering of others, and the horrors of what human beings are capable of doing to other human beings. > November 30 - December 17 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free The West Boca Theatre Company is generously underwritten by Judi and Allan Schuman and Lenore Tagerman
• Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike Chekhov is alive and well in Bucks County, PA, where adult siblings Vanya and Sonia reside in their old family home, mourning their lost dreams and missed
opportunities. When their often-wrong, fortune-telling maid warns of impending dangers, and their movie star sister, Masha, arrives unexpectedly with young, sexy boy toy, Spike, the family is launched into a rollicking weekend of one-upmanship, exposed nerves, and a lot of broken mugs.
Winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Play.
> January 4-14 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Company Stephen Sondheim’s groundbreaking modern musical, is a mature, intelligent, and wildly funny look at relationships, vulnerability, and living life. On the night of his 35th birthday, the lone bachelor, surrounded by “those good and crazy people”, his married friends, Robert is uncertain whether he should simply be happy with his lot or whether he should wish for his own romantic partner.
Winner of seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Score, Best Lyrics and Best Book.
> February 1-11 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free
• My Heart in a Suitcase This gripping and poignant production about the Kindertransport is a tribute to the strength of the human spirit and the enduring power of a family’s love. Followed by Q&A with Kindertransport survivors. > Tuesday, February 27, 7:30 pm > Call 561-558-2520 for pricing. Presented in partnership with School Educational Services, Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County
• Open Auditions Got Talent? Select productions will be open for auditions. Visit levisjcc.org/theater for full detailed information or contact Alan Nash at firstname.lastname@example.org. CONCERTS • A Life in Songwriting from Willie to Whitney: Steve Dorff at the Piano One of the most successful songwriters in the United States. A three-time Grammy and a five-time Emmy nominee, Dorff has penned more than 20 top country and/or pop hits and nine chart-topping film tunes. > Wednesday, November 15, 7:30 pm > Call 561-558-2520 for pricing.
• Handle with Care Circumstances both hilarious and tragic bring together a young Israeli woman, who has little command of English, and a young American man, who has little command of romance. Is their inevitable love an accident…or is it destiny, generations in the making? The New York Times (Critics’ Pick)
> March 1-11 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free • WORDS … ALIVE! Founded by Eunice Bernard and Carol Clarke. > Monday, December 11, 2:30 pm, Natural Women: Carole King, Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell > Tuesday, March 13, 2:30 pm, Glass Castle/Half Broke Horse Based on the “true-life-novels” of Jeannette Walls > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free
• Meet Michael Isaacson…and Friends One of America’s most creative composers and musical thinkers. A delightful, tuneful, concert of his widely loved Jewish music… wonderfully sung, and interspersed with illuminating stories engagingly recounted. > February 7, 7:30 pm > Call 561-558-2520 for pricing. • Gefilte Fish & Chips with Daniel Cainer Award-winning songwriter, storyteller, performer, broadcaster, currently touring his ever-evolving, Jewish themed, one man show of unique stories in song. > April 19, 21, 22 > Call 561-558-2520 for pricing.
Art, Culture & Learning programs are sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, the Florida Council of Arts and Culture and the State of Florida (Section 286.25, Florida Statutes).
Register by calling the Levis JCC Sandler Center at 561-558-2520 unless noted PAGE 16
FILMS Join us, year-round, for an eclectic assortment of foreign, independent, documentary and performance films. Foreign, American and Independent films followed by discussion.
THE MARLENE AND HERB LEVIN ADULT UNIVERSITY • Lectures All lectures are held at the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted. All programs subject to change. See our ACL Brochure in September for additional dates and topics. > Individual lecture: $18, A&L Gold Members: $12, A&L Platinum Members: > Free (unless otherwise noted)
• Boca Raton Jewish Film Festival Levis JCC Sandler Center proudly presents award winning Jewish films from around the world. > Festival Screenings > March 4 - 24
> Matinee Movies with Myrna Loman Please call 561-558-2520 for dates and film titles.
> The Important Influence of Jewish Artists on U.S. Art History with Lynn Rae Lowe > Thursday, November 2, 2:30 pm
> FDR and The Jews with Richard Garfunkel > Tuesday, December 5, 7:30 pm
> Wednesdays, twice monthly September-May, 1:00 pm > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free > From Stage to Screen! Filmed presentations of the best in live performances of opera, ballet, symphony and theater from around the world. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles. > Wednesdays, 1:00 pm > Women Make Movies Award winning films by women directors, followed by discussion with moderator Linda Horowitz. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles. > Wednesdays, 1:00 pm • Sunday Morning Israeli Film Series with Dr. Mort Plotnick Presentation and discussion of award winning Israeli films. Bagels and coffee included. All films subject to change. > Sundays, 9:30 am - 12:00 pm > December 10, Encirclements > January 7, Kapo in Jerusalem > February 11, Amor > April 8, Tuviansky > Series price (all 4 films): $55, Gold Members: $50, Platinum Members: $24 > Individual film: $16, Gold Members $14, Platinum Members: $6 Generously underwritten by Bobbie & Michael Drukman.
> Best Value: Choose any 5 lectures for $75, A&L Gold Members: $50, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> An Arab’s Journey to Israel Activism with Yahya Mahamed Presented in Partnership with Stand with Us > Thursday November 9, 2:30 pm
• Wednesday is Movie Day
> Artist as Shaman and Myth Speaker with Karen Windchild > Wednesday, December 6, 2:30 pm > Exhibition Opening: Free > Leonard Bernstein: The Man and His Music with Rabbi Paul Offenkrantz > Monday, December 11, 7:30 pm > Friendship Matters with Wendy Satin Rapaport and Marilyn Charwat > Monday, December 12, 2:30 pm > Putin’s Russia with Dr Irving Berkowitz, Dean of Academic Affairs, Palm Beach State College > Tuesday, December 12, 7:30 pm > Have I Got a Story for You: More Than a Century of Fiction from the Forward with Ezra Glinter > Wednesday, December 13, 7:30 pm > The Nixon Presidency Revisited with Ronald L. Feinman, Ph.D. > Tuesday, December 19, 7:30 pm > The Comedy of Ellen DeGeneres with Ira Epstein > Monday, January 8, 2:30 pm > Jews and American Politics; from FDR to Trump with David G. Dalin, Ph.D. > Wednesday, January 24, 7:30 pm
ED ASNER AND TOVA FELDSHUH PERFORM THE SOAP MYTH Based on the play by Jeff Cohen, this piece raises the question of who deserves the right to write history: those people who have lived it and remember, those studying and protecting it, or those who CALL OUT would seek to distort its very existence? > Tuesday, January 23, 2:00 pm, Beifield Auditorium > VIP Reserved Seating: $50, General Admission: $40, A&L Gold Members: $30, A&L Platinum Members: $20 > Tuesday, January 23, 7:30 pm, Zinman Hall > 6:00 pm, VIP Reception > $85, includes Preferred Seating and VIP Reception, General Admission: $40, A&L Gold Members: $30, A&L Platinum Members: $20 AARON KULA AND THE KLEZMER COMPANY JAZZ ORCHESTRA > American Jewish New Year in Jazz Time > Sunday, September 17, 3:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, Tickets: $30 > Zinman Hall > A Very Jewish Concert plus Variety Show on Christmas Day > Monday, December 25, 3:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, Tickets: $30 > Zinman Hall TWENTY-SIX SECONDS: A PERSONAL HISTORY OF THE ZAPRUDER FILM WITH ALEXANDRA ZAPRUDER The untold family story behind Abraham Zapruder’s film of the Kennedy assassination and its lasting impact, as told by his daughter, Alexandra. > Monday, November 27, 7:30 pm I WAS TOLD TO COME ALONE: MY JOURNEY BEHIND THE LINES OF JIHAD WITH SOUAD MEKHENNET A gripping and illuminating memoir by a Washington Post reporter who journeys behind the lines of jihad. > Friday, November 17, 10:00am
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING > Where Are They Now? with Myrna Goldberger > Tuesday, January 29, 2:30 pm > United States/Israel Relations: From Harry Truman To Donald Trump with Ronald L. Feinman, Ph.D. > Tuesday, February 13, 7:30 pm > Jewish Contributions to American Culture and Society with Dr Irving Berkowitz, Dean of Academic Affairs, Palm Beach State College > Wednesday, February 14, 7:30 pm > The Comedy of Motherhood with Ira Epstein > Thursday, February 15, 2:30 pm > Jewish Gangsters with David G. Dalin, Ph.D. > Thursday, February 22, 7:30 pm > Robert Watson > The Ghost Ship of Brooklyn > Wednesday, January 10, 7:30 pm > Fake News > Tuesday, March 27, 7:30 pm • Courses > Taste of Melton at the Levis JCC Sample the program at no cost and discover enriching adult Jewish learning. > Monday, September 11, 10:00 am > The Florence Melton School for Adult Jewish Learning Year One and Year Two will both be offered at the Sandler Center this year. > Core Year One - Rhythms and Purposes (25 weeks) with Paul Azaroff & Dr. Sandra Lilienthal > Core Year Two - Ethics & Crossroads (25 weeks) with Paul Azaroff & Dr. Sandra Lilienthal > Mondays, beginning October 16, 10:00 am -12:15 pm > For detailed class descriptions, fees and to register visit: www.events.org/ MeltonBocaRaton. Contact Penina Bredoff at email@example.com or call (561) 392-8566. > The Anatomy of Music with Michael Isaacson > Fridays, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm, January 5, 12, 19, 26 > 4-week session: $80, A&L Gold Members: $65, A&L Platinum Members: $50 > Memory Matters: Memory Retention and Brain Fitness with Barbara F. Klau, M.S.
Pick up some fun, interactive, and challenging memory enhancement strategies that will help you feel more empowered and sharp. > Mondays, 10:30 am -12:00 pm, February 5, 12, 23 and March 5 > 4-week session: $80, A&L Gold Members: $65, A&L Platinum Members: $50 TRIPS AND TRAVEL • Miami Book Fair International Day Trip Experience this annual literary festival; one of the largest in the country. Over 450 authors and book vendors during the weeklong event sponsored by Miami Dade College at the Wolfson Campus. > Sunday, November 19, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm > $80 includes bus transportation from The Sandler Center, entrance fee, snacks and water on the bus. > Must register by October 15 to purchase tickets to author events. • Art Miami and CONTEXT Art Miami Celebrating its 28th year, Art Miami is the leading international contemporary and modern art fair. CONTEXT Art Miami is dedicated to the development and reinforcement of emerging and mid-career artists. Both are now located in a new, joint venue on Biscayne Bay. > Sunday, December 10, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm > $115 • Cuba Experience Cuba’s rich history and culture today! Immerse yourself in fascinating history and enjoy the country’s warm hospitality on wonderful tours of Cuba, led by Sandler Center professional staff. Call for details 561-558-2520. > Havana, Cuba: Culture & History > January 9-14, 2018 > Cuba: A Tale of 4 Cities—Havana, Santa Clara, Trinidad & Cienfuegos Experience these very diverse and beautiful cities. > January 30 - February 5, 2018 ONGOING PROGRAMS • The Ladies Room with Trudy Berlin, M.A. Discuss women’s issues relating to finances, relationships, family dynamics, women’s rights and more. Refreshments served. > Ongoing Tuesdays, 10:00 -11:30 am > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum, Members: Free
• Psychology of the News with Trudy Berlin, M.A. and Sharon Segal An invigorating discussion of current events and the important issues of our times. Refreshments served. > Tuesdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Torah for Our Times with Rabbi Eli Rabovsky An expedition to the essence of our Jewish heritage and tradition, from Genesis to the present. > Ongoing Wednesdays, September - May, 2:00 - 3:30 pm > $5, A&L Gold Members: $3, A&L Platinum Members: Free • The Wisdom Circle with Liz Sterling Share, explore and support one another through intelligent and heartfelt conversation. > Ongoing Wednesdays, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Life’s Ground Rules: Essential Elements of a Meaningful Life with Marilyn Charwat > Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Jewish Thought Throughout the Ages with Abraham Hamaoui > Thursdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm > $5, A&L Gold Members: $3, A&L Platinum Members: Free TECHNOLOGY • iHelp for iPad Hands on, patient, private instruction for beginners and those who wish to advance to the next level. Fridays only, at the Sandler Center. Call Stephanie at 561-558-2541. > $35 per one hour private lesson GAMES • Mah Jongg and Canasta Lessons for Beginners Small class environment. Two consecutive weeks, 2 classes per week. Pre-registration required. Call 561-558-2520 for information. > $75, A&L Gold Members: $55, A&L Platinum Members: Free
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL PAGE 18
STRENGTHENING OUR COMMUNITY For more than 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in our community. It’s a place to connect, to be enriched and to have fun. From babies, children, teens to adults, this is “home” for our whole community. The generosity of our founders and supporters enables the Levis JCC to continuously offer the highest quality programs and services to thousands of individuals and families.
CINDY BERGMAN | Associate Executive Director | 561-852-3253 | firstname.lastname@example.org
WAYS TO GIVE A gift to the Levis JCC helps ensure the success of our continuum of programs: early childhood education, summer camp, health awareness, special needs, elder care services, sports and wellness, cultural and spiritual programs. There are many ways to support the Levis JCC. • Donate to the Annual Campaign When you give an unrestricted gift to the Levis JCC, you entrust your resources to our staff and lay leaders. That is an honor we take seriously. We carefully direct funds to the programs and services where they are needed most. If you feel passionately about a specific Levis JCC program, supporting it is easy – whether preschool or camp scholarships, special needs, the arts or sports and wellness, giving with your heart is easy and deeply appreciated.
• Become a Community Partner Good corporate citizenship makes great business sense. A partnership with the Levis JCC provides an opportunity to reach our dynamic community of both young families and active mature adults, gaining exposure to thousands of individuals who regularly participate in Levis JCC programs, activities and events, as well as to the broader community at large. Becoming a Community Partner is a commitment you make to help us strengthen our community. There are numerous ways for local businesses to support the Levis JCC. In addition to emerald, sapphire, ruby and diamond sponsorship levels, there are also opportunities to sponsor various events including the Levis JCC Golf Classic, the Annual Fundraiser, Racing With the J (a series of 3 5k race/walks), as well as many events associated with our Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center, our Marleen Forkas Camps, and our Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department. • Send a Tribute Recognizing and honoring life’s milestones with a tribute to the Levis JCC shows you take caring seriously. For joyous and somber occasions alike, making a gift in honor or in memory of a loved one, to mark a special anniversary, birthday or simcha is a special way for you to share the love and benefit our community at the same time.
PLANNED GIVING Putting your money where your heart is means giving a gift you will feel great about for years to come. A planned gift to Levis JCC helps build critical resources for our future. The principal of your endowment is invested and remains untouched. The yearly earnings provide resources to fund Levis JCC programs and services. We tailor giving programs to each donor’s financial and real estate planning goals, ensuring that you realize benefits today while providing for future generations.
WHAT WILL YOUR LEGACY BE? What aspects of Jewish life would you like to preserve most – learning, community, worship, caring for those in need or social justice? Through Create a Jewish Legacy, you can leave a lasting personal legacy for generations to come. For more information, please contact:
Cindy Bergman Associate Executive Director (561) 852-3253 • email@example.com
Support the Levis JCC, contact Cindy Bergman at 561-852-3253 LEVISJCC.ORG
NON-PROFIT ORG. U.S. POSTAGE
Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center 9801 Donna Klein Boulevard Boca Raton, FL 33428
PAID WEST PALM BEACH, FL PERMIT NO. 1116
JANUARY 27, 2018 â€¢ 7:00 PM BOCA WEST COUNTRY CLUB
EMILY & STEPHEN GRABELSK Y
Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Cr ystal Award Re cipients
B. Solomon Shirley & Allan Award ip sh Leader Recipient
AN EVENING TO BENEFIT PROGRAMS AN D SERVICES OF
ADOLPH & RO THE SE LEVIS JEWIS H COMMUNIT
SANDY BE YER MELISSA EMIH OVICH STEPHANIE & ADAM GINSBU RG SUSIE & JUST IN GOLD BERG JAN SAVARICK & RO BERT PRIM EAU Co-Chairs
levisjcc.org/jeans For more information, please contact Lauren Koblick, Special Events Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3257.
The Levis JCC promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational pr...
Published on Jul 31, 2017
The Levis JCC promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational pr...