ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
PROGRAM GUIDE WINTER/SPRING 2018
CO-ED YOUTH SPORTS ENRICHMENT CLASSES JEANS, JEWELS & THE J SHINE LIKE A STAR LUNCHEON BABY & ME CLASSES RACING WITH THE J SERIES LIVE THEATER ADULT TENNIS TOURNAMENT SPRING CAMP SPECIAL NEEDS PROGRAMS GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES ADULT UNIVERSITY LEVIS JCC
9801 DONNA KLEIN BLVD. BOCA RATON, FL 561-852-3200
Table of Contents
Levis JCC Hours
General Information................................. 2
Enrichment Classes.............................. 8-9
About the Levis JCC.................................. 3
Resale Boutique....................................... 9
Early Childhood......................................... 5
Sports & Wellness..............................12-14
Youth & Family.......................................... 6
Art, Culture & Learning..................... 15-18
Strengthening Our Community..............19
Holiday Hours & Closing Information JANUARY 2018
New Year’s Day Monday, Jan 1 S&W open 8am – 12pm; Resale Boutique open, all other bldgs. & offices closed
Passover – 2nd day Sunday, April 1 S&W and Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday, Jan 15 S&W and Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
Passover – 7th day Friday, April 6 Levis JCC closed; Resale Boutique open
FEBRUARY 2018 Presidents’ Day Monday, Feb 19 S&W and Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed MARCH 2018 Passover - Erev Friday, March 30 Levis JCC closes at 12pm Passover – 1st day Saturday, March 31 Levis JCC closed
Passover 8th day Saturday, April 7 S&W and Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
Memorial Day Monday, May 28 S&W open 8am – 12pm; Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed JULY 2018 Independence Day Wednesday, July 4 S&W open 8am – 12pm; Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
SPORTS & WELLNESS CENTER 561-852-3200 Monday - Thursday 6:00 am - 9:00 pm Friday 6:00 am - 5:00 pm Saturday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm BETTY & MARVIN ZALE EARLY CHILDHOOD LEARNING CENTER 561-852-3286 Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 6:00 pm SANDLER CENTER 561-558-2520 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY 561-558-2504 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm ADMINISTRATION 561-852-3200 Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm RESALE BOUTIQUE 561-368-3665 Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
MAY 2018 Shavuot Sunday, May 20 Levis JCC Closed; Resale Boutique open Shavuot Monday, May 21 S&W and Resale Boutique open; all other bldgs. & offices closed
Welcome to the A message from Randy Colman, Executive Director With another engaging and exciting season well underway, it’s clear to me that our Levis JCC continues to be “the” place to be for top quality programming in our community. Whether you are here for our beloved preschool and camp programs, our rich and exciting cultural arts offerings, if you’re at our J for health & wellness, or our special needs programs, you know that you are a part of our family. Our reputation is strong because of the continued strength of our wonderful and caring community and the many significant partnerships we are a part of, year after year.
We proudly assist many families each year with scholarships granted through our financial assistance program. This makes quality preschool, summer camp, and special needs programing attainable for all who wish to participate – this makes our community stronger. We’ve already touched so many lives through our fall programs – and we’re just getting started! I invite you to explore the courses, programs, services and events in these pages. Find something – or many things – that entice you. We welcome you to be a part of our year-round enriching programs. In so many ways, our J is here for you. 561-852-3200
ABOUT THE LEVIS JCC The Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational programs for individuals of all ages. With a preschool, summer camp, family activities, athletics, cultural arts, adult enrichment and special needs programming, as well as a Resale Boutique, the Levis JCC offers something for everyone. Learn more about each of our departments at levisjcc.org.
An enriching multi-faceted early childhood program designed to foster imagination, curiosity and intellect. Children develop a love for learning that lasts a lifetime and families connect with one another. For newborns and children up to age five. 561-852-3286 | firstname.lastname@example.org
For nearly 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the place to be for unforgettable summers for children ages 2-14. Pre and Post Care available from 7:30-9:00 am and 4:00-6:00 pm. 561-852-5090 | email@example.com
Upscale, resale, new, vintage, designer items and furniture â€“ even an antique or two...yours at the Levis JCC Resale Boutique.
Located at The Shops at University Park, 141 NW 20th Street F5-7, Boca Raton, FL 33431 561-368-3665 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sports & Wellness
Youth & Family
Keep kids connected all year through with Mini Camps, Co-Ed Youth Sports Leagues, Special Events and Holiday Programming for children preschool (age 3+) through 8th grade. 561-852-3117 | email@example.com
Whatever your childâ€™s passion, we have you covered for afternoons full of sports, learning, fun and friendship! 561-852-3286 | firstname.lastname@example.org 561-852-3212 | email@example.com
Embracing individuals with special needs and their families for more than 30 years, our 20+ programs for participants ages 3-50+ offer a variety of life-changing opportunities. Every family meets with our Program Director for a comprehensive intake. 561-852-3269 | firstname.lastname@example.org
A place for people of all ages to work out, participate in group exercise classes, join a league or participate in a wellness program to achieve a healthier body, mind and spirit. 561-852-3117 | email@example.com
Art, Culture & Learning
Offering a wide variety of arts and cultural activities throughout the year. Art lovers, music buffs, travelers, theatergoers and film enthusiasts alike will find a program to satisfy their passion. 561-558-2520 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC LEVISJCC.ORG
EVENTS 3/4 - 3/24
1/27 • Jeans, Jewels & the J - Be a Rockstar Ready for a sparkling good time? Jeans, Jewels & the J is an evening of dining, dancing, casino, silent auction, fun, friends and community at Boca West Country Club. RSVP online at levisjcc.org/jeans. For more information or sponsorship opportunities, contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257 or email@example.com.
2/5 • Calling All Superheroes Boys and girls ages 3-7 are invited to dress as their favorite superhero and “save the universe” with the special adult in their life at the Levis JCC Sandler Center from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Includes craft projects, a DJ, a photo booth, snacks, dancing and games with a Superhero. Space is limited, register online at levisjcc.org/superhero. Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
2/18 • Adult Doubles Tennis Tournament Join us at 9:00 am for our 4th annual tournament featuring three age categories, 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s, women’s or mixed doubles. $20 per person. Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117.
3/1 • NEW DATE! Levis JCC Sprint & Sip 5K Sprint on over to South County Regional Park for the Levis JCC’s Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5k Run/Walk. The first 300 to register will receive a free dri-fit shirt and finisher medal. Following the race, enjoy refreshments and beer from Barrel of Monks Brewing.
• Boca Raton Jewish Film Festival A broad array of exceptional films from the United States and around the world including feature films, documentaries, comedies and short films that explore the Jewish experience, culture, history, identity and topics relevant to Jewish life. Visit bocajff.org for information about how to attend and/or sponsor the Festival, or contact The BRJFF office at 561-852-2514.
3/8 • Special Night for Special Needs Help build dreams at this Cocktail Reception which will pay tribute to Naomi and Richard Steinberg. Chaired by Karen & Bill Herbstman and hosted by Helene & Roy Schwedelson (minimum $500 donation). For information or to RSVP, contact Cindy Bergman, 561-852-3253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department and children and families supported by Levis JCC scholarship funds. For information or to RSVP, contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257 or email@example.com.
4/30 • Princess Ball Girls ages 3-7 are invited to dress as their favorite Princess and attend the ball with the special man in their life at the Levis JCC Sandler Center from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Includes craft projects, a DJ, dancing, a photo booth, snacks and games with a Princess. Space is limited, register online at levisjcc.org/ princess. Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
5/3 • Annual Meeting Levis JCC Leadership, volunteers and staff gather to hear about the past year’s successes, thank our committed supporters and install officers and new members of the Board of Directors. Contact Cindy Bergman, 561-852-3253.
3/14 • For This We Left Egypt? Starring Dave Barry, Alan Zweibel & Adam Mansbach. These three comedic geniuses have written no ordinary Haggadah! When Seders can last as long as the exodus from Egypt itself, this hilarious parody comes just in time for Passover. Be entertained by these three very funny men in an afternoon of laughs. Bonus! Free copy of the book! Visit levisjcc.org/theater or call 561-558-2520.
7/19 • 8th Annual Run, Sweat & Beers 5K Finish first, then quench your thirst—at this fun filled summertime run. Runners and guests celebrate after the finish line with wings, beer and refreshments (must be 21 with ID for beer). First 650 registered will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt! Register online at levisjcc.org/5k.
4/20 • Shine Like a Star Luncheon Shine with us at Boca West Country Club for this luncheon featuring Guest Speaker Kate Gosselin. Benefits the Levis JCC
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC PAGE 4
EARLY CHILDHOOD Levis JCC Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center PRESCHOOL PROGRAM Visit our classrooms and chat with our Twos, Threes and Pre-K teachers about how our curriculum and classroom learning build the skills that are necessary for children to become great problem solvers, successful students and lifelong learners. Full-time and part-time programs for children ages 20 months-5 years. Classes run through May 17. For all preschool class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/preschool
BABY & ME PROGRAM 2017-2018 Weekly theme based classes filled with motor and sensory activities, singing and sharing time are designed to give parents and caregivers the opportunity to share meaningful time with their little ones while bonding and learning together. Classes start the week of August 29 and run through May 17 unless noted. For all Baby & Me class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/babyandme.
> Through May 17 > Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 - 10:30 am > Beginning in January, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm > $2,310 • Nearly Two (birthdates 9/2/15 - 12/31/15) > Through May 16 > Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:00 - 11:00 am > Beginning in January, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm > $3,825
Fridays 11:00- 11:45am (12-20 months) 12:00- 12:45pm (6-12 months) ART EXPLORATION
January 12, 2018
PICNIC & PLAY *
February 9, 2018
In partnership with West Boca Medical Center
*Bring your Kosher lunch
With Marianne Altschul, MSW. This free 8-week class offers new parents the opportunity to discover the wonders of their amazing newborns while meeting and sharing with other parents. For babies birth-4 months.
• Tiny Tots - Winter Session (birthdates 5/1/17 - 9/1/17) > January 11 - May 17 > Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm > $396
• Turning Two (birthdates 1/1/16 - 5/31/16)
PLAY AT THE J
• Blooming Babies
Spring Session: 8 Thursdays > January 18 -March 8 > 1:00 - 2:00 pm > FREE
SEPARATION CLASSES Parents attend this class with their child and then gradually separate while their child continues to explore and develop in a secure and loving environment.
A ar ll cl e as Fr se ee s !
KIM GREENBAUM & STACEY ROSENBERG | Co-Directors | 561-852-3286 | email@example.com
• Tiny Tots - Spring Session (birthdates 9/1/17 - 1/1/18) > March 15 - May 17 > Thursdays, 12:15 - 1:15 pm > $162
March 9, 2018
levisjcc.org/playatthej • Creative Crawlers (birthdates 9/2/16 - 12/31/16) > Tuesdays, 10:30 - 11:30 am > $630 • Ones Are Fun (birthdates 5/1/16 - 9/1/16) > Tuesdays, 9:00 - 10:00 am > $630 • Toddler Adventures (birthdates 9/1/15 - 5/1/16) > Thursdays, 9:15 - 10:30 am > $750
• Bright Beginnings (birthdates 1/1/17 - 5/31/17) > Tuesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm > $630
Preschool Mini Camp Join us for fun-filled days with exciting themes and special entertainment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. > April 2-5 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > $65 per day/$240 for week > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am $7 per day
Schedule a tour by emailing email@example.com or register now at 561-852-3286 LEVISJCC.ORG
YOUTH & FAMILY Special Events and Programs NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | firstname.lastname@example.org MINI CAMPS - POWERED BY YES/PERSEVERANCE We offer a wide variety of games, sports, and activities throughout the day! Basketball, Crafts, Gaga, Musical Games, Rockwall, Soccer, Swimming, Team building, and so much more. Our Travel Camp offers daily trips to exciting local attractions! • Spring Break/Passover Mini Camps > PBCS Spring Break: March 19-23, > $65 per day; $300 for the week (5 days) > Passover Break: March 29, April 2-5 > $65 per day; $235 for the week (4 consecutive days) > Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am, $7 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 pm, $8 per day (close at 5pm on Fridays) > Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117
> Mondays, January 22 - May 14, 15 weeks, 3:30-4:30 pm (no class - 2/19, 4/2) > $270 or drop in $20 per class > Thursdays, January 18 - May 24, 15 weeks, 3:30 - 4:30 pm (no class - 3/1, 3/15, 3/29, 4/5) > $270 or drop in $20 per class
• Travel Day Camp > PBCS Spring Break: March 19-23 > $65 per day
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
> 3rd-8th Grade, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am, $7 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 pm, $8 per day (close at 5pm on Fridays) > Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117
• Perseverance Basketball Winter Academy Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1. > Wednesdays, March 7 - April 25 , 7 weeks (no class 3/21) > 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm, 3rd -5th grade > 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm, 6th - 8th grade > $140, T-shirt included
• Pre Summer Sports Mini Camp > May 18 (Zale Preschool Graduates only) > $65
• Winter Co-Ed Youth Soccer League – Powered by IndigoGap Located on Levis JCC Soccer Field.
> May 22-25 (Zale Preschool Graduates only) > $65 per day; $235 for the week (4 consecutive days) > May 29 - June 2; June 4-8 > $65 per day; $300 for the week (5 consecutive days) > Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am, $7 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 pm, $8 per day (close at 5pm on Fridays) > Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117
Refer to page 5 for Preschool Mini Camp.
AFTER SCHOOL YOUTH CONDITIONING PROGRAM Work with certified instructors to create a well-balanced weekly workout, maintaining and/or improving physical health and mental well-being. Program features boot camp, cardio, circuit, kickboxing, core strength, cross training, HIIT, strength training, flexibility and yoga. A minimum of 3 people required to run the program. Located in the Fitness Center. Call September 561-852-3209 for information.
• Post Summer Sports Mini Camp > August 6-10 > $65 per day; $300 for the week (5 consecutive days) > August 13-17 > $65 per day; $300 for the week (5 consecutive days) > Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $7 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day (close at 5pm on Fridays) > Contact Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117
> Sundays, January 21 - March 18, 8 weeks (no class 2/18) > 9:00 - 10:00 am, Ages 3-5, 5-6 > 10:00 - 11:00 am, Ages 7-8, 9-12 > $140 • Perseverance Basketball League Sunday Youth Drill & Play Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1. > Sundays, February 11 - April 22, 8 weeks (no class 2/18, 3/18, 4/1) > 11:15 am - 12:00 pm, 3-4 year olds > 12:30 - 1:45 pm, Grades K-2 > 2:00 - 3:15 pm, Grades 3-5 > 3:30 - 4:45 pm, Grades 6-8 > $160
Register by contacting Levis JCC Registrar at email@example.com or 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 6
SUMMER CAMP Marleen Forkas Summer Camp NEAL BUCHHOLZ | Camp Director | 561-852-5090 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Reunion & Kids Night Out for K-4 Campers JOIN US SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 7:00 - 10:30 PM RSVP online at levisjcc.org/reunion BELIEVE IN CAMP The Levis JCC has been providing children ages 2-14 with fun-filled summer camp experiences since 1986. Let Levis JCC Marleen Forkas Summer Camps empower your child with a truly special and enriching experience that will help shape his or her life forever.
THEATER CAMP A comprehensive four-week theater program for 8-14 year olds that builds to a rewarding final production. Campers enjoy the best of Camp at the J, including: Swim, Go-Karts, 4th of July Carnival, Outdoor Theater Sessions, Games, Lip Sync Battle, Field Trips, Backyard BBQs, Theater Camp Color War. Second session includes an overnight trip to Disney World! 4-week sessions (9:00 am - 3:00 pm), Pre-care 8:00 - 9:00 am, Post-care: 3:00 - 6:00 pm. Session 1 - Peter Pan Jr.: June 11 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session 2 - The Little Mermaid Jr: July 9 - August 3
EARLY CHILDHOOD CAMP A variety of activities tailored for children ages 2-4. Campers thrive in this warm, nurturing environment with low camper-to staff ratios and personal attention. Sessions run 4 weeks, choose from 3 and 5 day options. All sessions begin at 9:00 am. Pick up times vary. Session A: June 11 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session B: July 9 - August 3 UPPER CAMP (K-9TH GRADE) Summer fun with classic activities including archery, swimming, tennis, soccer, crafts, field trips and a real flying trapeze! Older campers choose from a variety of electives. 2-week sessions, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Session 1: June 11 - June 22 Session 2: June 25 - July 6 (no camp 7/4) Session 3: July 9 - July 20 Session 4: July 23 - August 3
CIT PROGRAM (ENTERING 10TH GRADE) Young adults assist counselors and gain leadership training and experience. Under supervision, CITs work directly with children and balance work responsibilities with lots of summer fun. STAFF Enthusiastic, energetic, caring, committed and carefully screened counselors take great care of campers, while our specialists share their expertise in art, music, sports and science, making each day an adventure. To apply visit our website at levisjcc.org/ camp. Applicants must be available for the full camp season.
Schedule a tour by calling 561-852-5090 or register now at levisjcc.org/camp LEVISJCC.ORG
ENRICHMENT CLASSES Preschool and Sports & Wellness Classes PRESCHOOL ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3286 | email@example.com SPORTS & WELLNESS ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3212 | firstname.lastname@example.org MONDAYS, JANUARY 22 - MAY 7 (14 weeks No class 2/19, 4/2) • Mini Chefs* Children measure, mix, pour, and stir their own delectables while developing important skills such as math, language and science. Zale Classroom. > 12:15 - 12:45 pm, ENR3912, $235 > 1:00 - 1:45 pm, ENR3900, $263 > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3902, $263 > 3:30 - 4:15 pm, ENR3903, $263 • Super Sports - Powered by YES Our experienced and professional staff will teach a variety of sports skills including soccer, basketball, football & baseball. Children will play fun games that are safe and will keep them happy and engaged. All equipment is specially designed to be age appropriate in both size & weight. Children must be toilet trained no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5407, $238 • NEW! Gymnastics and Tumbling Powered by Gymnastics and Movement This class focuses on gymnastics tumbling skills and proper technique development. Your child will learn the basic skills of gymnastics in a fun, noncompetitive environment. Your child is going to “FLIP” to come to class! Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 6, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Group Exercise Studio.
• Soccer - Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of soccer through mini-games and drills. They will learn ball control, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Outdoor Field. > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54001M, $238 TUESDAYS, JANUARY 23 - MAY 8 (15 weeks No class 4/3) • Zumba with Mizfit* Innovative dance styles of Zumba and Hip Hop are set to popular music to ensure the children will be moving and grooving. Zale Classroom.
> 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5463, $238 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5464, $238
• SUPERSTARS - Powered by YES Do you know your child’s favorite sport? Let YES help you figure it out. Your child will try different sports such as basketball, soccer, t-ball, and movement games. We will teach them the skills they need to succeed while having fun. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym # 1. > 12:05 - 12:35 pm, 2 yrs, ENR 5466, $210 > 1:00 - 1:45 pm, 2 yrs, ENR 5666, $238
> 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3955, $255 • Ballet with Miss Sara Dancers leap and twirl through the basics of ballet as they are introduced to the concepts of grace, line, posture, stretch and creative improvisation. Basic elements of ballet warm-ups and traveling steps are taught in a developmentally appropriate way. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 5, maximum 12. Sports & Wellness Group Exercise Studio. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5433, $255 > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5434, $255 • NEW! Ooey Gooey Science Explore and learn about science through hands-on sensory experiences! Zale Classroom.
> 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5435, $238 > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5435B, $238 • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Children will be taught essential safety and swimming skills. All Pace Setters instructors are Red Cross certified. Parents must be present to change their child after their lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool.
WEDNESDAYS, JANUARY 24 - MAY 9 (14 weeks No class 3/14, 4/4)
> 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3904, $263
• Soccer - Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of soccer through mini-games and drills. They will learn ball control, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54001, $255
• Tennis - Powered by All-Stars Performance Services This class is a fun introduction to tennis for the youngest tennis player using games to teach fundamental skills. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 10. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5472, $252 (Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5470, $252 (Tennis Courts, Rain plan: Sports & Wellness Gym # 1)
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email email@example.com or call 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 8
• T-Ball - Powered by YES Boys and girls will be taught the correct way to catch, hit and throw through drills and mini-games. Children must be toilet trained -no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 20. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5422, $255 FRIDAYS, JANUARY 26 - MAY 11 (13 weeks No class 2/16, 3/30, 4/6) • Shabbat Rocks* Children join Miss Wendy, Charlie and Schnitzel each week on an interactive adventure as they experience their Jewish heritage. Zale Classroom. • Yoga for Children with Ladybug Yoga Ladybug Yoga teaches children to listen to themselves and each other, as well as express their creativity through movement and yoga poses. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 6, maximum 12. Sports & Wellness Group Exercise Studio. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5416A, $238 > 3:35 - 4:35 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5416B, $238
THURSDAYS, JANUARY 25 - MAY 10 (15 weeks No class 4/5) • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Essential safety and swimming skills taught by Red Cross certified instructors. Parents must be present to change child after the lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained - no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool.
> 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3961, $234 *Preschool enrichment classes open to children enrolled in Levis JCC Zale’s 2-year old, 3-year old and Pre-K programs. Zale classes are 45 minutes.
> 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5460, $255 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5461, $255
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 561-852-3262 unless noted
RESALE BOUTIQUE Levis JCC Resale Boutique
The Shops at University Park, 141 NW 20th Street F5-7, Boca Raton, FL 33431 Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
ERIC GOLDMAN | Senior Manager | 561-368-3665 | email@example.com
Special Events GRAND RE-OPENING A new name, a new location—join us to celebrate! In addition to cutting the ribbon at our new shop, we will also be launching a new partnership with the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County’s Business & Professional Division and Ruth & Norman Rales Jewish Family Services. Through this alliance, the Resale Boutique will provide clothing gratis to individuals searching for new jobs and to restart their lives. • Tuesday, February 13
DONATE New or gently used clothing, shoes, purses, jewelry, furniture, home accessories, collectibles, household items and cars are greatly appreciated. All donations are tax deductible. Call to schedule a pick-up of furniture. Drop off items in bags and boxes at the Levis JCC Resale Boutique or in the Sports & Wellness Building. SHOP Thrifty fashion mavens delight in finding treasures at bargain prices in our Boutique and at the display case at the entrance to the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness building.
VOLUNTEER Volunteers are a vital part of our success. We welcome help with pricing, displaying, selling, prepping, sorting, telephone and office work. GIVING NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE Ready to free up some closet space for this season’s hottest trends? Stylish ladies and gentlemen, please consider donating your designer clothing and accessories to the Levis JCC Resale Boutique. These fabulous items will be featured in our Designer Section.
SPECIAL NEEDS Levis JCC Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department ALI LANDMAN | Program Director | 561-852-3269 | firstname.lastname@example.org include campus and community venues. Summer camp activities include swimming, sports, fitness, arts and crafts, science, karate, music, dance, yoga and field trips! Contact Ali Landman, 561-852-3269 or email@example.com. • Winter On Campus Camp and Off Campus Field Trip Camp > December 26-29 and January 2-5 (8 days) > $55 per day or $400 for all 8 days • Spring On Campus Camp and Off Campus Field Trip Camp > March 19-23 (5 days) > $55 per day or $250 for all 5 days • Summer Camp > June 11 - August 3 (no camp July 4) > $800 per 2-week session
FIT & FUN SPORTS PROGRAMS Grades Pre-K - 12. Participants (grouped by age/skill level) enhance sports and fitness skills through obstacle courses, relay races and other skill building activities. Credentialed coaches and teen volunteer buddies assist each participant in having fun while achieving maximum success! Spring Session: (Grades Pre-K - 12) > 6 Sundays, March 25 – May 6 (no class 4/1) > Grades Pre-K - 5, 12:30 - 2:00 pm > Grades 6 - 12, 2:30 - 4:00 pm > $100 This program is generously underwritten by Howard J. Gelb, M.D., P.A., Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC., Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, City of Boca Raton and The Junior League of Boca Raton
MARLEEN FORKAS CAMP KAVOD YEAR-ROUND PROGRAMS Grades Pre-K - 12. Camp Kavod has highly qualified, nurturing staff and low camper to staff ratios, ensuring that campers experience a safe, well supervised, funfilled, typical camp program while acquiring vital life skills. Winter/Spring programs
Camp Kavod year-round programs are generously underwritten by founding sponsor FMSbonds, Inc., Marleen Forkas, Hands on Tzedakah, The Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, Laurence W. Levine Foundation, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Pythian Youth Foundation, Publix Supermarkets Charities, Inc., the Milgram Family, Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation, the Barton and Shirley Weisman Foundation and Boca Rio Foundation.
PAUL MARKHOFF OTZAR SUNDAY SCHOOL PROGRAM Grades K - 12. Otzar (Hebrew for Treasure) Sunday School Program offers students a Judaic education that fosters enriched participation in Jewish life. Students are grouped by age and developmental skill level. > Sundays, through May 6, 9:00 - 11:00 am > $750 Otzar is generously funded by the Paul Markhoff (z”l) Fund and Rubens Family Foundation.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT/ KIDS NIGHT OUT Pre-K - Middle School. Parents enjoy a night out while the kids enjoy a night of entertainment, crafts, story time, games, snacks and a movie. Staff ratio is 1:4. Contact Lainie Tantleff, 561-852-3207 or firstname.lastname@example.org. > Saturdays, January 13, February 3, March 3, April 14 and May 5, 5:00 - 9:00 pm > $100 for all 8 sessions Program generously sponsored by Hands on Tzedakah (HOT)
For information or to schedule an intake meeting, contact Ali Landman at 561-852-3269 or email@example.com unless noted PAGE 10
YOGA FOR TEENS AND ADULTS Therapeutic yoga class open to teens and adults who are able to participate independently. Instructor focuses on relaxation and calming techniques.
SATURDAY PLAY AT THE J Ages 4+. This new program is designed to enable families to have respite time for themselves while their child is participating in a well supervised, structured, on-campus, camp-like program. Parents can enjoy the time relaxing, running errands or spend time with friends and family, with the comfort of knowing their child is being cared for in a nurturing environment.
• Winter Session: > 8 Wednesdays, January 17- March 7, 5:30 - 6:15 pm > $125 Program generously sponsored by Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton, City of Boca Raton and The Junior League of Boca Raton.
MOVE & MINGLE YEAR ROUND ADULT FITNESS PROGRAM Ages 16+. Adults learn about fitness equipment, exercising at their own pace and meeting new friends. Offered three times each year. • Winter/Spring Session > 12 Tuesdays, 12 Thursdays, January 16 – April 3, 7:00 - 8:00 pm > $200 one day a week per session, Levis JCC Members: $175; $400 two days a week per session, Levis JCC Members: $350 • Summer Session > 6 Thursdays, June 14-July 19 > $110 per session, Levis JCC Members: $85 Program generously sponsored by Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton, City of Boca Raton and The Junior League of Boca Raton.
SCHWEDELSON YEAR-ROUND ADULT SOCIAL PROGRAMS • Schwedelson Young Adult Social Scene (Ages 18-29) • Schwedelson Sunday Social Scene (Ages 30-50s) Experienced group leaders provide a warm and welcoming year-round social program for adults functioning at a high level of independence. Participants attend sporting events, bowling, theater, festivals, movies, picnics, restaurants, museums, concerts, participate in community service projects and can attend a weekend trip to a popular Florida destination—and much more! > Sundays, through May 6, 3-4 hours (varies depending upon activity) > Summer program dates to be announced in May > $325, Levis JCC Members: $225 Program generously underwritten by the Schwedelson Foundation for more than 25 years.
SAVVY PROGRAM: SAFETY & SELF-DEFENSE Women ages 16+. Innovative self-defense, safety and self-awareness program for teenage girls and women. Participants will learn useful and realistic self-defense skills as well as social and emotional skills necessary to assert themselves in social situations. They will also learn how to make good choices about personal safety and much more! • Winter Session > 24 classes, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 16 - April 5, 6:00 - 7:00 pm > $380
Program generously funded by City of Boca Raton and The Junior League of Boca Raton.
> Saturdays, January 20, February 17, March 17, April 21, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm > $100 for all 7 dates
FUN DRUM ENRICHMENT PROGRAM Ages 4-12. The instructor will introduce different types of drums to the children to enhance sensory skills. They will have the opportunity to learn to follow directions and take turns while they experiment with the instruments. > Thursdays, April 5, 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 5:00-5:45 pm > $50 for all 6 classes Program generously funded by Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton.
PARENT & CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP AND SIBLING SUPPORT GROUP Facilitated by professionals at Ruth & Norman Rales Jewish Family Services. Contact Tzippi Rosen, Special Needs Outreach Coordinator 561-852-3112. COMMUNITY SERVICE AND OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Volunteer in our Fit & Fun Sports Program, Paul Markhoff Otzar Sunday School Program or Marleen Forkas Camp Kavod Year-Round Programs to make a difference in our community. Contact Ali Landman, Program Director, 561-852-3269 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATE Special Night for Special Needs Cocktail Reception • Thursday March 8, 5:30 - 7:30 pm > At the home of our hosts Helene & Roy Schwedelson > Paying tribute to Naomi & Richard Steinberg LEVISJCC.ORG
> Chaired by Karen & Bill Herbstman > Contact Cindy Bergman, email@example.com or 561-852-3253
SPORTS & WELLNESS Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Department See page 2 for Sports & Wellness Center hours.
NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | firstname.lastname@example.org PERSONAL TRAINING Featuring exciting and innovative personal training fitness programs, TRX, Kettlebells and personal one on one assisted stretching. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, 561-852-3209. • 1/2 Hour Sessions > Single: $32, Package of 5: $145, Package of 10: $269 • 45 Minute Sessions > Single: $47, Package of 5: $225, Package of 10: $425
AQUATICS AT THE J POWERED BY PACE SETTERS Learn to swim in a nurturing, structured environment. Improve your skills and empower yourself in the water. Contact Kym Backers, 561-503-6768, email@example.com. • Private and group lessons • Swim Club • Birthday parties
• Mind/Body Classes Yoga, PilateSculpt, YogaLaTai, Pilates
*Reservations for Spinning are taken at 12:30 pm the day before the class. Reservations for Sunday classes are taken 12:30 pm on Fridays. Reserve your bike online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
For additional packages or to train with a partner, call 561-852-3209 or visit levisjcc.org/personaltraining
• Low Impact Classes Strong by Zumba, Light-N-Lively, Young At Heart, SilverSneakers®, Super Sculpt, Barre**
NEW! PERSONAL ONE ON ONE ASSISTED STRETCHING • 1/2 Hour Sessions: $15 • 1 Hour Sessions: $30
• Fitness Orientations All new members are entitled to one complimentary orientation and one complimentary 1/2 hour personal training session. Floor staff are always available for workout assistance. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, (561) 852-3209 to schedule an appointment.
• Group Classes Each week numerous classes are offered for ages 12+ and every fitness level.
• High Impact Classes H.I.I.T., Zumba, Body Blast, 20/20/20, Spinning*, Cycle Pump
• 1 Hour Sessions > Single: $60, Package of 5: $275, Package of 10: $499
HEALTH & WELLNESS Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator and Trainer, (561) 852-3209, unless noted.
GROUP EXERCISE Please visit levisjcc.org for updated class listings and times. Free to members. Contact September Christos, 561-852-3209.
TENNIS AT THE J POWERED BY ALL STAR PERFORMANCE SERVICES Tennis lessons for all ages and levels with certified and experienced coaching staff. Contact Mario Jiminez, 561-303-4955, firstname.lastname@example.org. • Group and private lessons
• Barre Classes** > Mondays, 9:30 am - Beyond Barre > Wednesdays, 7:30 am - CARDIO Barre > Saturdays, 8:30 am - Barre > Third Sunday of the month, 9:00 am Barre > FREE to members, $15 guests > Barre socks required **Reservations for Barre are taken at 8:30 am the day before the class. Reservations for Sunday classes are taken 8:30 am on Fridays. Reserve your space online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
FUN. FITNESS. COMMUNITY.
• Total Body Stretch Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30-9:30 am in the Fitness Center • Yofi Skin Care Pampering with a European flair. Enjoy professional skin care treatments by our Licensed Esthetician from Yofi Skin Care. Levis JCC Members receive discounts on some treatments. Call (561) 852-3284 to schedule your appointment.
DETAILS ON PAGE 13
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or email@example.com PAGE 12
JCC MACCABI GAMES® 2018 MITCHELL DOBBIN MACCABI TEAM ORANGE COUNTY, CA AUGUST 5-10
ADULT SPORTS • Men’s Softball Level of play B/C, 6-10 arc, slow pitch. Team shirt included. Must be 18 years or older to participate. Accepting individuals and full teams.
• JCC Maccabi Games® > Unite with nearly 3,000 Jewish teens from around the world for a life-transforming week of competition and camaraderie. > Jewish Teens 13 - 16 (as of July 31, 2018) > The Boca Delegation seeks athletes for Boys and Girls Basketball, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Swimming, Tennis, Golf and Dance. > Tryouts are scheduled for Sunday afternoons, January 21 and January 28. > For further information, contact Lesley Surfer, 561-852-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org
RACING WITH THE J: RUNNING SERIES Whether you run, walk or just come to cheer, the Levis JCC’s three 5K Races bring fitness, fun and community together. Join in the fun at South County Regional Park! Visit levisjcc.org/5k for current race information or contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257. • Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5K Sprint on over to South County Regional Park for the Levis JCC’s Inaugural Sprint & Sip 5k Run/ Walk. The first 300 to register will receive a free dri-fit shirt and finisher medal. Following the race, enjoy refreshments and beer from Barrel of Monks Brewing. > Thursday, March 1, 7:00 pm
> Sunday mornings, at South County Regional Park > $110, Members: $80 > Contact Neal Buchholz, 561-852-3231
• 8th Annual Run, Sweat & Beers 5K Finish first, then quench your thirst—runners and guests celebrate after the finish line with wings, beer and refreshments (must be 21 with ID for beer). First 650 registered will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt!
• The Stuart & Paula Graff Tennis Courts > 6 Plexipave tennis courts > To reserve, contact Marsha Ismach at 561-852-3268
> Thursday, July 19, 7:00 pm
DOUBLES TENNIS TOURNAMENT Sunday, February 18 9:00 am
• 10th Annual Turkey Trot 5K On Thanksgiving Day, run before stuffing! First 1,500 to register will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt! > Thursday, November 22 > 5k race begins at 7:30 am > Youth 1-mile Fun Run starts at 8:30 am
Adults ages 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s or women’s doubles $25 per person Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com, (561) 852-3117
G LF CLASSIC OCTOBER 2018 AT Honoring
Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Family Foundation
REGISTER ONLINE LEVISJCC.ORG/GOLF
For sponsorship opportunities or more information, contact Lauren Koblick, Special Events Director, 561-852-3257 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC LEVISJCC.ORG
Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Membership MEMBER SERVICES • Levis JCC Locker Rental > Full locker $120/year, half locker $60/year > Towels are available for $1 a day LEVIS JCC SPORTS & WELLNESS MEMBERSHIP RATES There are membership categories for individuals, families, and students. No one is denied membership to the Levis JCC because of race, religion or inability to pay. Contact Marsha Ismach, Membership Coordinator at (561) 852-3268 for information about membership.
• Corporate Membership A 20% discount on membership fees is extended to businesses and organizations with at least 5 employees joining the Levis JCC. The individual enrollment fee is reduced to $35 per membership.
• Seasonal Membership Whether you are in town for a short visit or here all winter, enjoy the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Center for $45 per month per person. No enrollment fee.
• Arts & Learning/ Sports & Wellness Membership 10% off any membership listed except student memberships; no enrollment fee. • SilverSneakers® This free (for participants enrolled with qualifying insurance companies) Sports & Wellness Center membership offers access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, sauna and other amenities and allows active adults to take greater control of their health. Visit www.silversneakers.com or call 1-888-423-4632 to see if you qualify. • Optum Fitness Advantage No cost exercise program for eligible Medicare individuals insured with Medicare Advantage Plan through UnitedHealthcare.
All Memberships include a one-time $69 enrollment fee unless noted. TYPE
FULL FAMILY 2 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
COUPLE Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL WITH CHILDREN 1 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
INDIVIDUAL, EVENING & WEEKEND Ages 18+ Mon - Thurs: 5:00 - 9:00 pm, Fri 4:00 - 5:00 pm, Sat 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
SUPER SAVER Mon - Fri: 12:00 - 4:00 pm, Sat: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
COLLEGE STUDENT Full time 12+ credits, student ID/ transcript required
$23 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
TEEN STUDENT Ages 12-18
$18 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or email@example.com PAGE 14
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING Levis JCC Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Center
The following is a sampling of our programs. Look for our Art, Culture & Learning brochure which features a complete schedule. All programs are held in the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted and are subject to change.
SUSANA FLAUM | Director | 561-558-2520 | firstname.lastname@example.org NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY
Sylvia & Jerry Wolens 2017-2018 Cultural Season
The Nathan D. Rosen Museum Gallery is generously underwritten by The Sylvia Rosen Fund.
ARTS & LEARNING MEMBERSHIP A&L Platinum Membership ($550) and A&L Gold Membership ($75) is offered on a yearly basis September 1 - August 31. Gold Members enjoy significant discounts and Platinum Members enjoy a vast selection of programs at no cost. Combined Levis JCC Sports & Wellness and A&L members enjoy special discounts. For membership details and a complete list of benefits, call the Sandler Center at 561-558-2520. Membership is not required to attend any Sandler Center Programs. LITERATURE: AUTHORS & THEIR BOOKS • A Literary Afternoon Series Personal appearances by noted authors, discussions and book signings. Learn about their works and the creative process. > Tuesdays, 2:30 pm > January 9, Sana Krasikov, The Patriots > February 6, Brian Platzer, Bed-Stuy is Burning > March 6, Joseph Kertes, The Afterlife of Stars and Jessica Keener, Strangers in Budapest > March 27, Jill Santopolo, The Light We Lost > Individual program: $25, A&L Gold Members: $20, A&L Platinum Members: Free This series is generously underwritten by Auracal Senior Home Care, LLC, Charna Larkin, Myrna Lippman Literary Fund and Tundidor & Weiss Investment Group. The Levis JCC is a member of the Jewish Book Network sponsored by the Jewish Book Council.
• The Levis JCC Book Club Visit levisjcc.org/bookclub or call 561-558-2520 for titles. > First Thursday of each month, through May, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > $8, A&L Gold Members: $6, A&L Platinum Members: Free
All exhibit openings are open to the public and are free. RSVP for all programs to 561-558-2520. Dates are subject to change. • Winter Exhibition: Exhibition runs through February 2 > Karen Windchild Windchild’s work embodies spiritual and natural forces through materials such as paint, clay, and found objects. • Art 2018 Biennial Juried Competition February 15 - March 15 > Opening Reception: Thursday, February 15, 6:30 - 8:30 pm • Spring Exhibitions: > Donna Klein Jewish Academy AP Art Students Exhibition March 18 - April 30 > Opening Sunday, March 25, 2:00 - 4:00 pm > Levis JCC Pottery Guild Annual Exhibition & Sale March 25 - April 19 > Opening Sunday, March 25, 1:00 - 3:00 pm • Summer Exhibition: > WITVA Art for Art’s Sake V June 10 - September 30 ART • Art Tours Call 561-558-2504 for details and to register. > Benzaiten Center for the Creative Arts and Artisans on the Avenue, Lake Worth > Tuesday, January 30 > $115 (includes lunch) > The Bonnet House Museum & Gardens and the Weiner Museum of Decorative Arts, Ft. Lauderdale > Thursday, March 1 > $135 (includes lunch) > Worth Avenue Historic Tour, The Breakers and Gallery Tour > Thursday, March 22 > $150 (includes lunch)
• Art Workshops No member discounts. > Silk Scarf Painting with Constance Byrd > Monday, February 5, 1:00 - 4:00 pm > Monday, February 12, 1:00 - 4:00 pm > Monday, March 5, 1:00 - 4:00 pm > Monday, March 19, 1:00 - 4:00 pm > $50 per class (includes one small scarf and supplies) > $65 per class (includes one large scarf and supplies) > SPLASH Art Classes > Wednesday, February 28 OR > Monday, March 12 > 7:00 - 9:00 pm > $40 per class (includes all materials and light refreshments) > NEW! No artistic talent or experience needed! Wendy Cohen, Fused Glass and Resin Artist • Instant Gratification: Make Your Own Resin Pendant > Wednesday, February 7, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > $50 (includes all materials) • Create a Fused Glass Pendant > Monday, February 26, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > $50 (includes all materials) > Pottery on the Wheel, Hand Building and Clay Sculpting with Cynthia Zmetronak All sessions include FREE studio time and basic tools are available for the use of students. Clay is available for purchase. Additional $25 supply fee for session. • Winter Session January - March > Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, classes are 9:30 am - 12:30 pm; Tuesdays, class is also available 6:00 - 9:00 pm > Monday, January 8 - March 26 (No class on 1/15 and 2/19) > 10 classes > $350; A&L Gold & Platinum Members: $320 > Tuesday January 9 - March 27 > 13 classes > $455; A&L Gold & Platinum Members: $416
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING > Wednesday, January 10 - March 27 > 13 classes > $455; A&L Gold & Platinum Members: $416 • Spring Session April - May > Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, classes are 9:30 am - 12:30 pm; Tuesdays, class is also available 6:00 - 9:00 pm
happy with his lot or whether he should wish for his own romantic partner. > February 1-11 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> February 7, 7:30 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $36, General Admission Seating: $28, A&L Gold Members: $23, A&L Platinum Members: Free
THEATER AT THE J: 2017-18 SEASON Purchase tickets online at levisjcc.org/theater.
• Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike
Winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Play
Chekhov is alive and well in Bucks County, PA, where adult siblings Vanya and Sonia reside in their old family home, mourning their lost dreams and missed opportunities. When their often-wrong, fortune-telling maid warns of impending dangers, and their movie star sister, Masha, arrives unexpectedly with young, sexy boy toy, Spike, the family is launched into a rollicking weekend of one-upmanship, exposed nerves, and a lot of broken mugs. > January 4-14 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Company
Winner of seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Score, Best Lyrics and Best Book
Stephen Sondheim’s groundbreaking modern musical, is a mature, intelligent, and wildly funny look at relationships, vulnerability, and living life. On the night of his 35th birthday, the lone bachelor, surrounded by “those good and crazy people”, his married friends, Robert is uncertain whether he should simply be
CONCERTS • Meet Michael Isaacson…and Friends One of America’s most creative composers and musical thinkers. A delightful, tuneful, concert of his widely loved Jewish music… wonderfully sung, and interspersed with illuminating stories engagingly recounted.
> Monday, April 2 - May 14 > Tuesday, April 3 - May 15 > Wednesday, April 4 - May 16 > $245 for 7 classes (choose day of the week); A&L Gold & Platinum Members: $224
Theater at the J is The Sandler Centers’ black box stage theater, presenting performances to the public throughout the year. We present professional awardwinning musicals, non-musicals, and cabarets. Call the Box Office at 561-558-2520.
of Jeannette Walls > VIP Reserved Seating: $30, General Admission Seating: $25, A&L Gold Members: $20, A&L Platinum Members: Free
• Handle with Care
The New York Times (Critics’ Pick)
Circumstances both hilarious and tragic bring together a young Israeli woman, who has little command of English, and a young American man, who has little command of romance. Is their inevitable love an accident…or is it destiny, generations in the making? > March 1-11 > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free • My Heart in a Suitcase This gripping and poignant production about the Kindertransport is a tribute to the strength of the human spirit and the enduring power of a family’s love. Followed by Q&A with Kindertransport survivors. > Tuesday, February 27, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $30, General Admission Seating: $23, A&L Gold Members: $18, Students: $5, A&L Platinum Members: Free
• The First Annual Jam Concert by the Marshall Turkin Classic Jazz Ensemble Honoring the Memory of Martin Stein. Well known for their jazz improvisations and nostalgic interpretations of America’s popular culture especially music from the mid-20th century. The ensemble will perform an annual concert at the Sandler Center. Residents of JARC, Weinberg and Gould Houses will be guests at these performances. > Sunday, April 15, 2:00 pm > $18 • Gefilte Fish & Chips with Daniel Cainer Award-winning songwriter, storyteller, performer, broadcaster, currently touring his ever-evolving, Jewish themed, one man show of unique stories in song. > Thursday, April 19, 7:30 pm > Saturday, April 21, 7:30 pm > Sunday, April 22, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $36, General Admission Seating: $28, A&L Gold Members: $23, A&L Platinum Members: Free
Presented in partnership with School Educational Services, Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County
• WORDS … ALIVE! Founded by Eunice Bernard and Carol Clarke. > Tuesday, March 13, 2:30 pm, Glass Castle/Half Broke Horse Based on the “true-life-novels”
Register by calling the Levis JCC Sandler Center at 561-558-2520 unless noted PAGE 16
FILMS Join us, year-round, for an eclectic assortment of foreign, independent, documentary and performance films.
> Wednesday, April 11, 2018 > Patron reception at Sklar Furniture, followed by Ben-Gurion Epilogue at The Cinemark Palace 20 3200 Airport Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33431
• Boca Raton Jewish Film Festival March 4 - 24 Award winning Jewish films from around the world.
• Wednesday is Movie Day
> Sunday, March 4 - Saturday, March 17, The Cinemark Palace 20, 3200 Airport Rd, Boca Raton, FL > Sunday, March 18 - Friday, March 23, The Movies of Delray, 7421 W Atlantic Ave, Delray Beach, FL > Saturday, March 24 - Closing Event, Location TBD
> Special Event! ITZHAK
In partnership with the Festival of the Arts BOCA
This documentary examines the life and music of Itzhak Perlman who is considered one of the world’s greatest living violinists. ITZHAK is a portrait of an extraordinary man whose passion for music, generosity, humor and remarkable will to survive are legendary. > Thursday, February 22, 7:30 pm > Mizner Cultural Arts Center > $20, tickets available only at festivalBOCA.org > World Premiere! Rescue Bus 300 Guest Speaker: Nati Dinnar, Filmmaker Ten years before the blockbuster movie “Speed” starring Keanu Reeves came out, an event similar to that story took place in Israel. Four armed terrorists hijacked Bus #300, en route from Tel Aviv to Ashkelon, and led the passengers towards the refugee camps in Gaza and from there perhaps to oblivion. > Sunday, February 25, 7:00 pm > The Polo Club of Boca Raton > General Admission: $25, includes valet parking
> Patron Appreciation Event Six hours of interview footage with David Ben-Gurion, five years before his death, became the basis for this film about Israel’s founder. Ben-Gurion’s introspective soul searching is the focus of this film, and his clear voice provides a surprising vision for today’s crucial decisions and the future of Israel.
> Matinee Movies with Myrna Loman Please call 561-558-2520 for dates and film titles. > Wednesdays, twice monthly through May, 1:00 pm > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free > From Stage to Screen! Filmed presentations of the best in live performances of opera, ballet, symphony and theater from around the world. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles. > Wednesdays, 1:00 pm > February 28, Rocktopia: A Classical Revolution > March 28, Lang Lang: New York Rhapsody > April 11, Alvin Ailey: American Dance Theater > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> A&L Gold Members: $50, A&L Platinum Members: $24 > Individual film: $16, A&L Gold Members $14, A&L Platinum Members: $6 Generously underwritten by Bobbie & Michael Drukman.
THE MARLENE AND HERB LEVIN ADULT UNIVERSITY • Lectures All lectures are held at the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted. All programs subject to change. > Individual lecture: $18, A&L Gold Members: $12, A&L Platinum Members: > Free (unless otherwise noted) > Best Value: Choose any 5 lectures for $75, A&L Gold Members: $50, A&L Platinum Members: Free > The Comedy of Ellen DeGeneres with Ira Epstein > Monday, January 8, 2:30 pm > Jews and American Politics; from FDR to Trump with David G. Dalin, Ph.D. > Wednesday, January 17, 7:30 pm
Generously sponsored by an enthusiastic supporter of the Performing Arts at the Levis JCC.
> Women Make Movies Award winning films by women directors, followed by discussion with moderator Linda Horowitz. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles. > Wednesdays, 1:00 pm > January 31, The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo > February 14, Trapped > April 25, Detropia > May 23, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Sunday Morning Israeli Film Series with Dr. Mort Plotnick Presentation and discussion of award winning Israeli films. Bagels and coffee included. All films subject to change. > Sundays, 9:30 am - 12:00 pm > January 7, Kapo in Jerusalem > February 11, Amor > April 8, Tuviansky
ED ASNER PERFORMS THE SOAP MYTH Based on the play by Jeff Cohen, this piece raises the question of who deserves the right to write history: those people who have lived it and remember, those studying and protecting it, or those who would seek to distort its very existence? > Tuesday, January 23, 2:00 pm, Zinman Hall > VIP Reserved Seating: $50, General Admission: $40, A&L Gold Members: $30, A&L Platinum Members: $20 > Tuesday, January 23, 7:30 pm, Zinman Hall > 6:00 pm, VIP Reception > $85, includes Preferred Seating and VIP Reception, General Admission: $40, A&L Gold Members: $30, A&L Platinum Members: $20
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING > The Comedy of Motherhood with Ira Epstein > Thursday, February 15, 2:30 pm
> Checks and Balances - the Unique Role of the Senate, Now More Than Ever with Alan S. Frumin & Richard A. Arenberg Alan S. Frumin worked in the Senate parliamentarian’s office for 35 years — including nearly 19 years leading the office — essentially serving as the referee on matters of Senate procedure. He retired in 2012 with the title of Parliamentarian Emeritus of the U.S. Senate. Richard A. Arenberg served on Capitol Hill for 34 years in senior Congressional staff positions, as a Chief of Staff and Legislative Director for Majority Leader George Mitchell, and Senators Paul Tsongas and Carl Levin. Richard Arenberg is co-author of Defending the Filibuster: The Soul of the Senate. He is a Visiting Lecturer in Political Science and International and Public Affairs at Brown University. > Thursday, January 18, 7:30 pm
> Stalin, Shostakovich and the Russian Jews with Dr. Joseph Gilbert Dr. Joseph Gilbert is a retired physician and a lifelong classical music fan. Dr. Gilbert has in recent years concentrated on the interface of Judaic subjects and opera and music. > Wednesday, February 21, 7:30 pm > Jewish Gangsters with David G. Dalin, Ph.D. > Thursday, February 22, 7:30 pm • Courses > The Anatomy of Music with Michael Isaacson > Fridays, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm, January 5, 12, 19, 26 > 4-week session: $80, A&L Gold Members: $65, A&L Platinum Members: $50 > Just for Men Lunch & Learn with Dr. Mort Plotnick Explore a wide range of fascinating and relevant topics ranging from politics, the media, Israel, privacy and more. Includes boxed lunch. > Mondays, 12:00 - 1:30 pm, January 29, February 5, 12, 26 > $15 per class
> Where Are They Now? with Myrna Goldberger > Monday, January 29, 2:30 pm > Jewish Business Visionaries, Innovators and Entrepreneurs; What Lessons Can We Learn From Their Life Stories with Lloyd Shefsky Lloyd Shefsky is Clinical Professor of Entrepreneurship at Kellogg School of Management. Cofounder of several businesses and nonprofits, he has taught, lectured internationally and is the author of “Invent Reinvent Thrive” and “Entrepreneurs Are Made Not Born”. > Monday, February 12, 7:30 pm > United States/Israel Relations: From Harry Truman To Donald Trump with Ronald L. Feinman, Ph.D. > Tuesday, February 13, 7:30 pm > Jewish Contributions to American Culture and Society with Dr Irving Berkowitz, Dean of Academic Affairs, Palm Beach State College > Wednesday, February 14, 7:30 pm
> Memory Matters: Memory Retention and Brain Fitness with Barbara F. Klau, M.S. Pick up some fun, interactive, and challenging memory enhancement strategies that will help you feel more empowered and sharp. > Mondays, 10:30 am -12:00 pm, February 5, 12, 26 and March 5 > 4-week session: $80, A&L Gold Members: $65, A&L Platinum Members: $50 ONGOING PROGRAMS • The Ladies Room with Trudy Berlin, M.A. Discuss women’s issues relating to finances, relationships, family dynamics, women’s rights and more. Refreshments served. > Ongoing Tuesdays, 10:00 -11:30 am > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum, Members: Free
• Psychology of the News with Trudy Berlin, M.A. and Sharon Segal An invigorating discussion of current events and the important issues of our times. Refreshments served. > Tuesdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Torah for Our Times with Rabbi Eli Rabovsky An expedition to the essence of our Jewish heritage and tradition, from Genesis to the present. > Ongoing Wednesdays, through May, 2:00 - 3:30 pm > $5, A&L Gold Members: $3, A&L Platinum Members: Free • The Wisdom Circle with Liz Sterling Share, explore and support one another through intelligent and heartfelt conversation. > Ongoing Wednesdays, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Making the Rest of Your Life the Best of your Life with Marilyn Charwat > Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Jewish Thought Throughout the Ages with Abraham Hamaoui > Thursdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm > $5, A&L Gold Members: $3, A&L Platinum Members: Free TECHNOLOGY • iHelp for iPad Hands on, patient, private instruction for beginners and those who wish to advance to the next level. Fridays only, at the Sandler Center. Call Stephanie at 561-558-2541. > $35 per one hour private lesson GAMES • Canasta Lessons for Beginners Small class environment. Two consecutive weeks, 2 classes per week. Pre-registration required. Call 561-558-2520 for information. > $75, A&L Gold Members: $55, A&L Platinum Members: Free
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL PAGE 18
STRENGTHENING OUR COMMUNITY For more than 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in our community. It’s a place to connect, to be enriched and to have fun. From babies, children, teens to adults, this is “home” for our whole community. The generosity of our founders and supporters enables the Levis JCC to continuously offer the highest quality programs and services to thousands of individuals and families.
CINDY BERGMAN | Associate Executive Director | 561-852-3253 | email@example.com
WAYS TO GIVE A gift to the Levis JCC helps ensure the success of our continuum of programs: early childhood education, summer camp, health awareness, special needs, elder care services, sports and wellness, cultural and spiritual programs. There are many ways to support the Levis JCC. • Donate to the Annual Campaign When you give an unrestricted gift to the Levis JCC, you entrust your resources to our staff and lay leaders. That is an honor we take seriously. We carefully direct funds to the programs and services where they are needed most. If you feel passionately about a specific Levis JCC program, supporting it is easy – whether preschool or camp scholarships, special needs, the arts or sports and wellness, giving with your heart is easy and deeply appreciated.
• Become a Community Partner Good corporate citizenship makes great business sense. A partnership with the Levis JCC provides an opportunity to reach our dynamic community of both young families and active mature adults, gaining exposure to thousands of individuals who regularly participate in Levis JCC programs, activities and events, as well as to the broader community at large. Becoming a Community Partner is a commitment you make to help us strengthen our community. There are numerous ways for local businesses to support the Levis JCC. In addition to Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby and Diamond sponsorship levels, there are also opportunities to sponsor various events including the Levis JCC Golf Classic, the Annual Fundraiser, Racing With the J (a series of 3 5k race/walks), as well as many events associated with our Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center, our Marleen Forkas Camps, and our Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department. • Send a Tribute Recognizing and honoring life’s milestones with a tribute to the Levis JCC shows you take caring seriously. For joyous and somber occasions alike, making a gift in honor or in memory of a loved one, to mark a special anniversary, birthday or simcha is a special way for you to share the love and benefit our community at the same time.
PLANNED GIVING Putting your money where your heart is means giving a gift you will feel great about for years to come. A planned gift to Levis JCC helps build critical resources for our future. The principal of your endowment is invested and remains untouched. The yearly earnings provide resources to fund Levis JCC programs and services. We tailor giving programs to your financial and real estate planning goals, ensuring that you realize benefits today while providing for future generations.
Please remember the Levis JCC with a gift in your will, trust, retirement account or life insurance policy.
Share your passion for our community—leave a lasting personal legacy for generations to come. Your Legacy Gift helps ensure that the Levis JCC remains a vibrant and strong part of our community for future generations. Support the Levis JCC, contact Cindy Bergman at 561-852-3253 LEVISJCC.ORG
NON-PROFIT ORG. U.S. POSTAGE
Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center 9801 Donna Klein Boulevard Boca Raton, FL 33428
WEST PALM BEACH, FL PERMIT NO. 1116
ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
AN EVENING TO BENEFIT THE PROGRAMS AND SERVICES OF THE
ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
SHINE An event to benefit the Levis JCC Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department and children and families supported by Levis JCC scholarship funds. HONORARY CHAIR: JUDY LEVIS MARKHOFF
CO-CHAIRS: MARISA BAKER AND ELYSSA KUPFERBERG
FRIDAY, APRIL 20
Boca West Country Club Register online at levisjcc.org/shine For sponsorship opportunities call Cindy Bergman at 561.852.3253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Featuring Keynot e Speaker KATE GOSSELIN
ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER • 9801 DONNA KLEIN BOULEVARD • BOCA RATON, FL 33428
Published on Dec 28, 2017
Published on Dec 28, 2017
The Levis JCC promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational pr...