ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
PROGRAM GUIDE WINTER/SPRING 2017
CO-ED YOUTH SPORTS ENRICHMENT CLASSES JEANS, JEWELS & THE J SHINE LIKE A STAR LUNCHEON BABY & ME CLASSES RACING WITH THE J SERIES LIVE THEATER ADULT MACCABI GAMES TENNIS TOURNAMENT SPRING CAMP SPECIAL NEEDS PROGRAMS GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES ADULT UNIVERSITY LEVIS JCC
9801 DONNA KLEIN BLVD. BOCA RATON, FL 561-852-3200
Table of Contents
Levis JCC Hours
General Information................................. 2
Special Needs........................................ 8-9
Upcoming Events...................................... 3
Youth & Family........................................ 10
Early Childhood......................................... 4
Sports & Wellness.............................. 11-13
Marleen Forkas Camps............................ 5
Art, Culture & Learning......................14-17
Strengthening Our Community............. 18
Holiday Hours & Closing Information JANUARY 2017
New Year’s Day Sunday, Jan 1 S&W open 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
Passover – Erev Monday, April 10 Levis JCC closes at 12:00pm
New Year’s Day observed Monday, Jan 2 S&W open 8:00am – 12:00pm; Thrift Shop open, all other bldgs. and offices closed
Passover – 1st day Tuesday, April 11 Levis JCC closed
Memorial Day Monday, May 29 S&W open 8:00am – 12:00pm; all other bldgs. and offices closed
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Monday, Jan 16 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. and offices closed FEBRUARY 2017 Presidents’ Day Monday, Feb 20 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. and offices closed
Register for select classes, make online payments, view your statements and more! No account? Email email@example.com or call 561-852-3200.
Passover – 7th day Monday, April 17 Levis JCC closed Passover – 8th day Tuesday, April 18 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. and offices closed
SANDLER CENTER 561-558-2520 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY 561-558-2504 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Where indicated below, Levis JCC refers to all offices and buildings including the Sports & Wellness building.
Passover – 2nd day Wednesday, April 12 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. and offices closed
SPORTS & WELLNESS CENTER (INCLUDING TENNIS) 561-852-3200 Monday - Thursday 6:00 am - 9:00 pm Friday 6:00 am - 5:00 pm Saturday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Shavuot Wednesday, May 31 Levis JCC closed
ADMINISTRATION 561-852-3200 Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm THRIFT SHOP 561-368-3665 Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
JUNE 2017 Shavuot Thursday, June 1 S&W and Thrift Shop open; all other bldgs. and offices closed JULY 2017 Independence Day Tuesday, July 4 S&W open 8:00am – 12:00pm; all other bldgs. and offices closed
Welcome to the A message from Randy Colman, Executive Director With life getting busier and more hectic, it’s wonderful to have a place we can all call “home.” The Adolph & Rose Levis JCC has been here for thousands of people in our community for more than 3 decades. As we move into the New Year, I’m so proud to say that we’re better than ever! Our Levis JCC offers the very best in a broad range of programming. Whether our members and guests come to us for youth and family programs, a variety of Special Needs services, health & wellness, or Art, Culture & Learning, they visit knowing that the Levis JCC is the place that
instantly makes them feel welcome. I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed some of our programs, events, classes, and performances. There’s so much more in store as our season unfolds. I invite you to find a host of wonderful things to do, see, learn and experience at our Center. You can even register for select programs online, making it easier and more convenient to join us. Let’s stay connected—sign up for JMail, our bi-weekly e-newsletter, and like us on Facebook, and you’ll always know what’s happening at our J. 561-852-3200
UPCOMING EVENTS JANUARY
3/7 • Special Night for Special Needs Help build dreams at the 8th Annual “Special Night for Special Needs” Dream Builder Cocktail Reception which will pay tribute to Craig Donoff, PA, and will be held in a private home (minimum $500 donation). For information or to RSVP, contact Cindy Bergman, 561-852-3253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1/28 • Jeans, Jewels & the J - A Classic Never Fades Ready for a sparkling good time? Jeans, Jewels & the J is an evening of dining, dancing, casino, silent auction, fun, friends and community at Boca West Country Club. RSVP online at levisjcc.org/jeans. For more information or sponsorship opportunities, contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257 or email@example.com.
• Levis JCC Adult Maccabi Games Doubles Tennis Tournament Join us on Sunday, February 12 starting at 9:00 am for our 3rd Annual Doubles Tennis Tournament. Select from our three age categories 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s, women’s or mixed doubles. The cost is $20 per person. For more information please contact Program Director Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
• Shine Like a Star Luncheon Shine with us at Boca West Country Club for this luncheon featuring Guest Speaker Monica Lewinsky. Benefits children and families supported by Levis JCC Scholarship Funds. For information or to RSVP, contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257 or email@example.com.
• Super Bowl Dash 5K/10K Dash to the end zone at the Levis JCC’s 2nd Annual Super Bowl Dash 5K/10K. Score a touchdown at South County Regional Park. First 400 registered receive a free dri fit t-shirt. Free breakfast after the race. Register online at levisjcc.org/5k.
dressed as your favorite Princess and party with us from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Space is limited, register online at levisjcc.org/princess. For more information please contact Program Director Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
3/8 • Calling All Superheroes for our Purim Event Superheroes (boys and girls ages 3-7) are invited to save the universe with the special adult in their life at the Levis JCC Sandler Center. The festivities include craft projects, a DJ, a photo booth, snacks, dancing and games with a Superhero. Come dressed as your favorite Superhero and party with us from 6:00 - 7:30pm. Space is limited, register online at levisjcc.org/superhero. For more information please contact Program Director Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117.
• Annual Meeting Levis JCC Leadership, volunteers and staff gather to hear about the past year’s successes, thank our committed supporters and install officers and new members of the Board of Directors. Contact Cindy Bergman, 561-852-3253.
5/21 • Lag Ba’Omer Pack a picnic, bring a blanket and join the Levis JCC and PJ Library® for a parent child interactive event from 2:00 - 3:30 pm. Holiday arts & crafts, field games, PJ Library story time, inflatables, light refreshments and snacks. Event will take place on the Levis JCC back field located near tennis courts. Space is limited. For more information please contact Program Director Nancy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3117.
• Princess Ball Princesses (girls ages 3-7) are invited to bring the special man in their lives to the 7th Annual Princess Ball at the Levis JCC Sandler Center. The festivities include craft projects, a DJ, dancing, a photo booth, snacks and games with a Princess. Come
• 7th Annual Run, Sweat & Beers 5K Finish first, then quench your thirst—at this fun filled summertime run. Runners and guests celebrate after the finish line with wings, beer and refreshments (must be 21 with ID for beer). First 650 registered will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt! Register online at levisjcc.org/5k.
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC LEVISJCC.ORG
EARLY CHILDHOOD Levis JCC Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center Children develop a love for learning that lasts a lifetime and families connect with one another. For newborns and children up to age five.
KIM GREENBAUM & STACEY OXENBERG | Co-Directors | 561-852-3286 | email@example.com
Register now! 2017-18 School Year: Register for Separation and Preschool Classes by February 1, 2017 and $150 registration fee is waived. I ♥ Zale!
SEPARATION - PRESCHOOL PROGRAM Visit our classrooms and chat with our Separation, Twos, Threes and Pre-K teachers about how our curriculum and classroom learning build the skills that are necessary for children to become great problem solvers, successful students and lifelong learners. Full-time and part-time programs for children ages 20 months5 years. Classes run through May 18. For all preschool class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/preschool.
BABY & ME PROGRAM 2016-2017 In partnership with West Boca Medical Center. Weekly theme based classes filled with motor and sensory activities, singing and sharing time are designed to give parents and caregivers the opportunity to share meaningful time with their little ones while bonding and learning together. Classes run through May 18 unless noted. For all Baby & Me class times and offerings, visit levisjcc.org/babyandme. • Blooming Babies This free 8-week class offers new parents the opportunity to discover the wonders of their amazing newborns while meeting and sharing with other parents. For babies birth-4 months. Spring Session: 8 Thursdays > January 19 -March 9 > 1:30 - 2:30 pm > FREE • Baby & Me Babies and their parents enjoy weekly classes with hands on activities including rhythmic response, musical instruments, fingerplays, singing and dancing. > Tiny Tots - Spring 2017 Session (birthdates 5/1/16 - 9/1/16) > Bright Beginnings (birthdates 1/1/16 - 5/31/16) > Creative Crawlers (birthdates 9/2/15 - 12/31/15) > Ones Are Fun (birthdates 5/1/15 - 9/1/15)
BABY & ME SUMMERTIME FUN 2017 Weekly classes encompass playtime, developmental art, music and fine motor activities in our magical Baby & Me classroom. Classes June 12 through August 4. > First Steps (birthdates 9/2/16 - 12/31/16) > Mini Explorers (birthdates 5/1/16 - 9/1/16) > Movers n’ Groovers (birthdates 1/1/16 - 4/30/16) > Rock n’ Rollers (birthdates 9/2/15 - 12/31/15) > Separation: Nearly Camp (birthdates 1/1/15 - 9/3/15)
Preschool Mini Camp Join us for fun-filled days with exciting themes and special entertainment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. > April 10, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm April 13, 14 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > $60 per full day (except April 10, $40) > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 am $6 per day
Schedule a tour by emailing email@example.com or register now at 561-852-3286 PAGE 4
MARLEEN FORKAS CAMPS Summer Camp
For nearly 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the place to be for unforgettable summers for children ages 2-14. Pre and Post Care available from 7:30-9:00 am and 4:00-6:00 pm. JONATHAN MARCUS | Camp Director | 561-852-5090 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Reunion for Upper Camp Campers & Friends at Strikes of Boca JOIN US SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2:30 - 5:00 PM Register online at levisjcc.org/campreunion BELIEVE IN CAMP The Levis JCC has been providing children ages 2-14 with fun-filled summer camp experiences since 1986. Let Levis JCC Marleen Forkas Summer Camps empower your child with a truly special and enriching experience that will help shape his or her life forever.
THEATER CAMP A comprehensive program for 7-14 year olds that builds to a final production. We also offer a four-week summer CIT “Apprentice” program for 15-16 year olds to learn acting, lighting and stage techniques, set design, direction and stage management. 4-week sessions (9:00 am - 3:00 pm), Pre-care 8:00 - 9:00 am, Post-care: 3:00 - 6:00 pm. Session 1: June 12 - July 7 (no camp 7/4) Session 2: July 10 - August 4 SPORTS ACADEMY A sports geared program with a focus on non-competitive skill development in basketball, soccer, tennis, softball, flag football and more. 2-week sessions (9:00 am - 4:00 pm), Pre-care 7:30 - 9:00 am, Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 pm.
EARLY CHILDHOOD CAMP A variety of activities tailored for children ages 2-4. Campers thrive in this warm, nurturing environment with low camper-tostaff ratios and personal attention. Sessions run 4 weeks, choose from 3 and 5 day options. All sessions begin at 9:00 am. Pick up times vary. Session A: June 12 - July 7 (no camp 7/4) Session B: July 10 - August 4 UPPER CAMP (K-9TH GRADE) Summer fun with classic activities including archery, swimming, tennis, soccer, crafts, field trips and a real flying trapeze! Older campers choose from a variety of electives. 2-week sessions, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Session 1: June 12 - June 23 Session 2: June 26 - July 7 (no camp 7/4) Session 3: July 10 - July 21 Session 4: July 24 - August 4
Session 1: June 12 - July 23 Session 2: June 26 - July 7 (no camp 7/4) Session 3: July 10 - 21 Session 4: July 24 - August 4 CIT’S (ENTERING 10TH GRADE) This program is for those who are ready to take on new challenges, opportunities, and responsibilities at camp. Participants in the CIT program will gain a meaningful leadership experience while actually putting the skills they develop into practice on a daily basis. STAFF We employ more than 150 staff members each summer including counselors, group leaders, specialists and administrative staff. Our staff positively impacts the lives of hundreds of children each year. Apply online at levisjcc.org/camp. Qualified applicants must be at least 17 years old and must be available from June 9-August 4.
Schedule a tour by calling 561-852-5090 or register now at levisjcc.org/camp LEVISJCC.ORG
ENRICHMENT CLASSES Preschool and Sports & Wellness Classes
Whatever your child’s passion, we have you covered for afternoons full of sports, learning, fun and friendship! PRESCHOOL ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3286 | email@example.com SPORTS & WELLNESS ENRICHMENT CLASSES | 561-852-3212 | firstname.lastname@example.org • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Children will be taught essential safety and swimming skills. All Pace Setters instructors are Red Cross certified. Parents must be present to change their child after their lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool. > 1:00 - 1:50 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5462, $208 > 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5463, $208 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5464, $208 MONDAYS, JANUARY 23 – MAY 8 (13 weeks No class 2/20, 4/10, 4/17) • Mini Chefs* Children measure, mix, pour, and stir their own delectables while developing important skills such as math, language and science. Zale Classroom. > 12:00 -12:45 pm, ENR3912, $240 > 1:00 -1:45 pm, ENR3900, $240 > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3902, $240 > 3:30 - 4:15 pm, ENR3903, $240 • NEW! Lil’ Stars - Powered by YES Coaches will teach movement games and children will learn to improve motor skills by playing with balls, bats and other basic sports gear. Parents must transport their child to the gym but will not be permitted inside the gym during the class. Parents must remain inside the Sports & Wellness Building. Minimum 4, Maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Gym #1
• NEW! Sports Clubs - Powered by YES The Levis JCC Sports Clubs will consist of different sports each week including basketball, soccer, t-ball, gaga, flag football and much more. Children will have the opportunity to try new games, learn and improve their fundamental skills while having fun. Classes will be held indoors and outdoors. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Building. > 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Ages 5-7, ENR5490, $208 Register for both Monday/Wednesday class and receive a discount and pay $403 (ENR5495) TUESDAYS, JANUARY 24 – MAY 9 (14 weeks No class 4/11, 4/18) • Zumba with Mizfit* Innovative dance styles of Zumba and Hip Hop are set to popular music to ensure the children will be moving and grooving. Zale Classroom.
> 12:15 - 12:45 pm, 2yrs, ENR 5475, $156
> 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3955, $231
• Super Sports - Powered by YES Our experienced and professional staff will teach a variety of sports skills including soccer, basketball, football & baseball. Children will play fun games that are safe and will keep them happy and engaged. All equipment is specially designed to be age appropriate in both size & weight. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Gym #1
• Ballet with Miss Sara Dancers leap and twirl through the basics of ballet as they are introduced to the concepts of grace, line, posture, stretch and creative improvisation. Basic elements of ballet warm-ups and traveling steps are taught in a developmentally appropriate way. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 5, maximum 12. Sports & Wellness Group Exercise Studio
> 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5407, $208
• Soccer - Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of soccer through mini-games and drills. They will learn ball control, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 16. > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54001, $224 (Sports & Wellness Gym #1) > 3:30 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR54002, $224 (Outdoors in Cypress Preserve, meet in Sports & Wellness Building) WEDNESDAYS, JANUARY 25 - MAY 10 (14 weeks No class 3/15, 4/12) • Tennis – Powered by All-Stars Performance Services This class is a fun introduction to tennis for the youngest tennis player using games to teach fundamental skills. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 10. > 1:00 - 1:45 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5471, $252 (Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5472, $252 (Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) > 3:30 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5470, $252 (Tennis Courts, Rain plan: Sports & Wellness Gym # 1) • NEW! Sports Clubs - Powered by YES The Levis JCC Sports Clubs will consist of different sports each week including basketball, soccer, t-ball, gaga, flag football and much more. Children will have the opportunity to try new games, learn and improve their fundamental skills while having fun. Classes will be held indoors and outdoors. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Building (No class 4/12 & 4/19) > 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Ages 5-7, ENR5493, $224 Register for both Monday/Wednesday class and receive a discount and pay $403 (ENR5495)
> 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5433, $224
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email email@example.com or call 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 6
THURSDAYS, JANUARY 26 – MAY 11 (15 weeks No class 4/13) • Basketball – Powered by YES Boys and girls learn the skills of basketball through mini-games and drills. They will learn dribbling, passing, shooting and much more! Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5422, $240 • Swimming - Powered by Pace Setters Children will be taught essential safety and swimming skills. All Pace Setters instructors are Red Cross certified. Parents must be present to change child after the lesson. If your child attends the Zale Aftercare program, special arrangements can be made. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 8. Sports & Wellness Swimming Pool. > 2:30 - 3:20 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5460, $240 > 3:40 - 4:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 5461, $240 FRIDAYS, JANUARY 27 – MAY 12 (14 weeks No class 2/3, 4/14) • SUPERSTARS – Powered by YES Do you know your child’s favorite sport? Let YES help you figure it out! Your child will have
the opportunity to try different sports such as basketball, soccer, t-ball, and football. They will teach them the skills they need to succeed while having fun. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, Maximum 16. Children will be transported to this class by JCC staff and should be picked up by parent or caregiver at the end of class. Sports & Wellness Gym #1. >12:15 - 12:45 pm, 2 yrs, ENR 5473, $156 >1:00 - 1:45 pm, 2 yrs, ENR 5446, $210
• Shabbat Rocks* Children join Miss Wendy, Charlie and Schnitzel each week on an interactive adventure as they experience their Jewish heritage. Zale Classroom. > 2:30 - 3:15 pm, ENR3961, $231 *Preschool enrichment classes open to children enrolled in Levis JCC Zale’s 2-year old, 3-year old and Pre-K programs. Zale classes are 45 minutes.
• T-Ball/ Football - Powered by YES Boys and girls will be taught the correct way to catch, hit and throw through drills and mini-games. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4, maximum 16. Sports & Wellness Gym #1 > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3yrs+, ENR 54004, $224 • Yoga for Kids with MizFit Help your child improve posture, strength, focus, coordination, concentration and poise by ending up the school week with this relaxing class. Children must be toilet trained – no diapers. Minimum 4: Maximum 8. Located in the Sports & Wellness Building Aerobics Studio > 2:30 - 3:30 pm, 3 yrs+, ENR 5472, $224
Register online at levisjcc.org/register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 561-852-3262 unless noted
THRIFT SHOP Levis JCC Thrift Shop
Upscale, resale, new, vintage, designer items and furniture –even an antique or two...yours at the Levis JCC Thrift Shop. The Shops at University Park, 141 NW 20th Street C9, Boca Raton, FL 33431 Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
MARILYN GOLDSCHEIN | Director | 561-368-3665 | email@example.com
Special Events PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZER SEMINARS Eileen Becker, Owner of IDeclutterU and a member of National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) leads three seminars guaranteed to help you get organized! Refreshments will be served. There is limited seating for these FREE events, so reserve early by calling 561-368-3665. • Organize Your Closet Sunday, January 29, 10:00 - 11:30 am • Maximize Your Wardrobe Sunday, February 26 10:00 - 11:30 am • De-clutter and organize your home office Sunday, March 26, 10:00 - 11:30 am LEVISJCC.ORG
DONATE New or gently used clothing, shoes, purses, jewelry, furniture, home accessories, collectibles, household items and cars are greatly appreciated. All donations are tax deductible. Call to schedule a pick-up of furniture. Drop off items in bags and boxes at the Levis JCC Thrift Shop or in the Sports & Wellness Building. SHOP Thrifty fashion mavens delight in finding treasures at bargain prices in our Shop and at the display case at the entrance to the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness building.
VOLUNTEER Volunteers are a vital part of our success. We welcome help with pricing, displaying, selling, prepping, sorting, telephone and office work. GIVING NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE Ready to free up some closet space for this season’s hottest trends? Stylish ladies and gentlemen, please consider donating your designer clothing and accessories to the Levis JCC Thrift Shop. These fabulous items will be featured in our Designer Boutique Section.
SPECIAL NEEDS Levis JCC Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department Embracing individuals with special needs and their families for more than 30 years. ALI LANDMAN | Program Director | 561-852-3269 | firstname.lastname@example.org MARLEEN FORKAS CAMP KAVOD YEAR-ROUND PROGRAMS Grades Pre-K - 12. Camp Kavod has highly qualified, nurturing staff and low camper to staff ratios, ensuring that campers experience a safe, well supervised, funfilled, typical camp program while acquiring vital life skills. Winter/Spring program include campus and community venues. Summer camp activities include swimming, sports, fitness, arts and crafts, science, karate, music, dance, yoga and field trips! Contact Ali Landman, 561-852-3269 or email@example.com.
PAUL MARKHOFF OTZAR SUNDAY SCHOOL PROGRAM Grades K - 12. Otzar (Hebrew for Treasure) Sunday School Program offers students a Judaic education that fosters enriched participation in Jewish life. Students are grouped by age and developmental skill level. > Sundays, through May 21, 9:00 - 11:00 am > $750 Otzar is generously funded by the Barton and Shirley Weisman Foundation, Inc., Rubens Family Foundation and the Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation.
• Spring On Campus Camp and Off Campus Field Trip Camp > March 20 -24 (5 days) > $55 per day or $50 per day for all 5 days • Summer Camp > June 12 - August 4 (no camp July 4) > $720 per 2-week session Camp Kavod year-round programs are generously underwritten by founding sponsor FMSbonds, Inc., Marleen Forkas, Hands on Tzedakah, The Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, Laurence W. Levine Foundation, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Pythian Youth Foundation, Publix Supermarkets Charities, the Milgram Family, Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation and Innovating Worthy Projects Foundation
FIT & FUN SPORTS PROGRAMS • Fall and Spring Grades Pre-K - 12. Participants (grouped by age/skill level) enhance sports and fitness skills through obstacle courses, relay races and other skill building activities. Credentialed coaches and teen volunteer buddies assist each participant in having fun while achieving maximum success! Spring Session: (Grades Pre-K - 12) > 6 Sundays, March 12 - April 30 (no class 3/19 and 4/16) > Grades Pre-K - 5, 12:30 - 2:00 pm > Grades 6 - 12, 2:30 - 4:00 pm > $100 This program is generously underwritten by Howard J. Gelb, M.D., P.A., Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC., Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton, Boca Raton Regional Hospital and City of Boca Raton.
For information or to schedule an intake meeting, contact Ali Landman at 561-852-3269 or firstname.lastname@example.org unless noted PAGE 8
PARENTS NIGHT OUT/ KIDS NIGHT OUT Pre-K - Middle School. Parents enjoy a night out while the kids enjoy a night of entertainment, crafts, story time, games, snacks and a movie. Staff ratio is 1:4. Contact Lainie Tantleff, 561-852-3207 or email@example.com. > Dates to be announced Program generously sponsored by Hands on Tzedakah (HOT)
MOVE & MINGLE YEAR ROUND ADULT FITNESS PROGRAM Ages 16+. Adults learn about fitness equipment, exercising at their own pace and meeting new friends. Offered three times each year. • Winter/Spring Session > 12 Tuesdays, 12 Thursdays, January 14 – March 31, 7:00 - 8:00 pm > $200 one class, Members: $175; $400 two classes, Members: $350
PROJECT RIDE Children and Teens, ages 6-17. The Project RIDE (Recreation, Independence, Development, Equipment) program provides a modified tricycle for children with special needs who would not otherwise have an opportunity to ride a bike. This ongoing program is designed to enhance each child’s recreational independence while fostering new motor and social skills. Participants will be able to enjoy wonderful bike rides with their families! A modified tricycle is provided to each child’s family until the child outgrows it, with the option to purchase the tricycle. Contact Lainie Tantleff, 561-852-3207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Summer Session > 6 Thursdays, June 15-July 20 > $110, Members: $85
YOGA FOR TEENS AND ADULTS Therapeutic yoga class open to teens and adults who are able to participate independently. Instructor focuses on relaxation and calming techniques.
SCHWEDELSON YEAR-ROUND ADULT SOCIAL PROGRAMS
• Winter Session: > 8 Wednesdays, January 18 - March 8, 5:30 - 6:15 pm > $125 This program has been generously funded by City of Boca Raton.
This program has been generously funded by City of Boca Raton.
SAVVY PROGRAM: SAFETY & SELF-DEFENSE Women ages 16+. Innovative self-defense, safety and self-awareness program for teenage girls and women. Participants will learn useful and realistic self-defense skills as well as social and emotional skills necessary to assert themselves in social situations. They will also learn how to make good choices about personal safety and much more!
• Schwedelson Young Adult Social Scene (Ages 18-29) • Schwedelson Sunday Social Scene (Ages 30-50s) Experienced group leaders provide a warm and welcoming year-round social program for adults functioning at a high level of independence. Participants attend sporting events, bowling, theater, festivals, movies, picnics, restaurants, museums, concerts, participate in community service projects and can attend a weekend trip to a popular Florida destination—and much more! > Sundays, through May 21, 3-4 hours (varies depending upon activity) > Summer program dates to be announced in May > $325, Members: $225 This program has been generously underwritten by the Schwedelson Foundation for more than 25 years.
• Winter Session > 24 classes, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 17 - April 6, 6:00 - 7:00 pm > $380 This program has been generously funded by Hands on Tzedakah (HOT) and the City of Boca Raton.
PARENT & CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP AND SIBLING SUPPORT GROUP Facilitated by professionals at Ruth & Norman Rales Jewish Family Services. Contact Tzippi Rosen, Special Needs Outreach Coordinator 561-852-3112. COMMUNITY SERVICE AND OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Volunteer in our Fit & Fun Sports Program, Paul Markhoff Otzar Sunday School Program or Marleen Forkas Camp Kavod Year-Round Programs to make a difference in our community. Contact Ali Landman, Program Director, 561-852-3269 or email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATE Special Night for Special Needs Cocktail Reception • March 7, 5:30 - 7:30 pm > Paying tribute to Craig Donoff, PA > Chaired by Linda & Ivan Gefen and Karen & Steve Irwin LEVISJCC.ORG
> Contact Cindy Bergman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3253
YOUTH & FAMILY Special Events and Programs
Keep kids connected all year through with Mini Camps, Co-Ed Youth Sports Leagues, Special Events and Holiday Programming for children preschool (age 3+) through 5th grade.
NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | email@example.com MINI CAMPS - POWERED BY YES We offer a wide variety of games, sports, and activities throughout the day! Basketball, Crafts, Gaga, Musical Games, Rockwall, Soccer, Swimming, Team building, and so much more. Our Travel Camp offers daily trips to exciting local attractions! • Spring Break/Passover Mini Camps > PBCS Spring Break: March 20-24, > $60 per day; $275 for the week (5 days) > Passover Break: April 12-14 > $60 per day; $155 for the week (3 consecutive days)
> Thursdays, January 26 - March 16, 8 weeks, 3:30 - 4:30 pm
> Passover Break: April 18-21 >$60 per day; $215 for the week (4 consecutive days)
> Thursdays, March 23 - May 25, 8 weeks, 3:30 - 4:30 pm (no class 4/13, 4/20)
> Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day > Contact Steve Segall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3201
> $160 YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES Each week the children develop skills taught by the YES sports staff. Immediately following, they play a game to implement the skills they learned. All participants receive a jersey and trophy.
• Travel Day Camp > PBCS Spring Break: March 20-24 > $60 per day; $275 for the week (5 consecutive days)
• Winter Outdoor Co-Ed Youth Soccer League – Powered by YES Located on Levis JCC Soccer Field.
> 4th-8th Grade, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day > Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com or 561-852-3117
> Sundays, January 22 - March 12, 8 weeks > 9:00 - 10:00 am, Ages 4-5, Instructional League, YTL5803
> 10:00 - 11:00 am, Ages 6-7, Developmental League, YTL5804
• Pre Summer Sports Mini Camp
> 10:00 - 11:00 am, Ages 8-10, Competitive League, YTL5806
> May 19 (Zale Preschool Graduates only) > $60 > May 22-26 (Zale Preschool Graduates only) > $60 per day; $275 for the week (5 consecutive days) > June 2 > $60 > June 5-9 > $60 per day; $215 for the week (4 consecutive days) > Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day > Contact Steve Segall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3201
AFTER SCHOOL YOUTH CONDITIONING PROGRAM Children ages 8-12 work with certified instructors to create a well-balanced weekly workout, maintaining and/or improving physical health and mental well-being. Program features boot camp, cardio circuit, kickboxing, core strength, cross training, strength training, flexibility. A minimum of 3 people required to run the program. Located in the Group Exercise Studio.
• Post Summer Sports Mini Camp
> August 7-11 > $60 per day; $275 for the week (5 consecutive days)
• Winter Co-Ed Youth Basketball League- POWERED by YES Located in the Sports & Wellness Gym #1.
> August 14-18 > $60 per day; $275 for the week (5 consecutive days)
> Sundays, March 26 - June 4, 8 weeks (no class 4/16; 5/14; 5/28)
> Pre-K-5th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm > Pre-care: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., $6 per day > Post-care: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., $8 per day > Both Pre & Post Care: $12 per day > Contact Steve Segall at email@example.com or 561-852-3201
> 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, 3-5 year olds, YFB5810
> 12:30 - 1:45 pm, Grades K-2, YFB5811 > 2:00 - 3:15 pm, Grades 3-5, YFB5812 > $140; after March 12, $155
Register using form on pg 19 or contact Levis JCC Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-852-3262 unless noted PAGE 10
SPORTS & WELLNESS Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Department
A place for people of all ages to work out, participate in group exercise classes, join a league or participate in a wellness program to achieve a healthier body, mind and spirit. See page 2 for Sports & Wellness Center hours. NANCY CARROLL | Program Director | 561-852-3117 | email@example.com AQUATICS AT THE J POWERED BY PACE SETTERS Learn to swim in a nurturing, structured environment. Improve your skills and empower yourself in the water. Contact Kym Backers, 561-852-6021, firstname.lastname@example.org. • Private and group lessons • Birthday parties
• Low Impact Classes Light-N-Lively, Young At Heart, SilverSneakers®, Super Sculpt, Barre**
• 1 Hour Sessions > Single: $60, Package of 5: $275, Package of 10: $499
• Fitness Orientations All new members are entitled to one complimentary orientation and one complimentary 1/2 hour personal training session. Floor staff are always available for workout assistance. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, (561) 852-3209 to schedule an appointment.
• Mind/Body Classes Yoga, PilateSculpt, YogaLaTai, Pilates
*Reservations for Spinning are taken at 12:30 pm the day before the class. Reservations for Sunday classes are taken 12:30 pm on Fridays. Reserve your bike online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
• 1/2 Hour Sessions > Single: $32, Package of 5: $145, Package of 10: $269
HEALTH & WELLNESS Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator and Trainer, (561) 852-3209, unless noted.
• Group Classes Each week numerous classes are offered for ages 12+ and every fitness level.
• High Impact Classes H.I.I.T., Zumba, Body Blast, 20/20/20, Spinning*
PERSONAL TRAINING Featuring exciting and innovative personal training fitness programs, TRX and Kettlebells. Contact September Christos, Wellness Coordinator, 561-852-3209.
For additional packages or to train with a partner, call 561-852-3209 or visit levisjcc.org/personaltraining
GROUP EXERCISE Please visit levisjcc.org for updated class listings and times. Free to members. Contact September Christos, 561-852-3209.
TENNIS AT THE J POWERED BY ALL STAR PERFORMANCE SERVICES Tennis lessons for all ages and levels with certified and experienced coaching staff. Contact Mario Jiminez, 561-303-4955, email@example.com.
• Barre Classes** > Mondays, 9:30 am - Beyond Barre > Wednesdays, 7:30 am - Barre > Saturdays, 9:00 am - Barre > Third Sunday of the month, 9:00 am Barre > FREE to members, $15 guests **Reservations for Barre are taken at 8:30 am the day before the class. Reserve your space online at levisjcc.org/register or call 561-852-3200.
• Group and private lessons
FUN. FITNESS. COMMUNITY.
• Abs, Stretch and Mat Workout Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30-9:00 am in the Fitness Center • Yofi Skin Care Pampering with a European flair. Enjoy professional skin care treatments by our Licensed Esthetician from Yofi Skin Care. Levis JCC Members receive discounts on some treatments. Call (561) 852-3284 to schedule your appointment.
RACE TO PAGE 12 FOR DETAILS
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org LEVISJCC.ORG
SPORTS & WELLNESS JCC MACCABI GAMES® AND ARTSFEST 2017 - MITCHELL DOBBIN MACCABI TEAM BIRMINGHAM, AL JULY 30 - AUGUST 4 OR MIAMI, FL AUGUST 6-11
RACING WITH THE J: RUNNING SERIES Whether you run, walk or just come to cheer, the Levis JCC’s three 5K Races bring fitness, fun and community together. Join in the fun at South County Regional Park! Visit levisjcc.org/5k for current race information or contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257. • 2nd Annual Super Bowl Dash 5K/10K Runners and walkers of all ages dash to the finish line at this 5k/10k before they dash to the TV to watch the Super Bowl. First 400 to register will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt!
ADULT SPORTS • Men’s Softball Level of play B/C, 6-10 arc, slow pitch. Team shirt included. Must be 18 years or older to participate. Accepting individuals and full teams.
> Sunday, February 5, 7:30 am • 7th Annual Run, Sweat & Beers 5K Finish first, then quench your thirst—runners and guests celebrate after the finish line with wings, beer and refreshments (must be 21 with ID for beer). First 750 registered will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt!
> Sunday mornings, starting in September at South County Regional Park > $110, Members: $80 > Contact Jonathan Marcus, 561-852-3231 • The Stuart & Paula Graff Tennis Courts > 6 Plexipave tennis courts > To reserve, contact Marsha Ismach at 561-852-3268
> Thursday, July 20, 7:00 pm
• JCC Maccabi Games® > Unite with nearly 4,000 Jewish teens from around the world for a life-transforming week of competition and camaraderie. > Jewish Teens 13 - 16 (as of July 31, 2017) > The Boca Delegation seeks athletes for Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Boys Baseball, Boys Lacrosse, Girls Volleyball, Swimming, Tennis and Golf. > Tryouts are scheduled for Sunday afternoons, January 22 and January 29. > For further information, contact Lesley Surfer, 561-852-3212 or email@example.com • JCC Maccabi ArtsFest® > Boys & Girls Acting/Improv; Culinary; Musical Theater; Rock Band; Start Reporter; Visual Arts and Vocal Music > Jewish Teens 13 - 17 (as of July 31, 2017) > Auditions for ArtsFest are Tuesday, March 14. > For further information contact Lauren Koblick at 561-852-3257 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOUBLES TENNIS TOURNAMENT
• 9th Annual Turkey Trot 5K On Thanksgiving Day, run before stuffing! First 1,500 to register will receive a FREE dri-fit shirt!
Sunday, February 12 9:00 am
> Thursday, November 23 > 5k race begins at 7:30 am > Youth 1-mile Fun Run starts at 8:30 am
Adults ages 35+, 50+, 65+ in men’s, women’s or mixed doubles $20 per person
Contact Nancy Carroll at email@example.com, (561) 852-3117
G LF CLASSIC OCTOBER 2017 AT Honoring
Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Family Foundation
REGISTER ONLINE LEVISJCC.ORG/GOLF
For sponsorship opportunities or more information, contact Lauren Koblick, Special Events Director, 561-852-3257 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected! Like us at facebook.com/Adolph.Rose.LevisJCC PAGE 12
Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Membership MEMBER SERVICES • Levis JCC Locker Rental > Full locker $120/year, half locker $60/year > Towels are available for $1 a day LEVIS JCC COPANOS KIDFIT Drop off the kids while you work out. Featuring Wii Sports & Fitness, Xbox 360, rock-climbing wall, indoor playground and slide. Children must be toilet trained. > Monday - Friday 8:00 - 10:30 am > Saturday & Sunday 8:00 - 11:30 am > Members: $4 (guests $8) per child per hour > 3 - 11 years old
NEW! FRIEND OF THE J MEMBERSHIP JCCs across the country and in cities around the world provide warm, welcoming places for children, teens, adults and elderly to gather and connect. There are so many ways for you to feel embraced at our J. The Levis JCC’s educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational programs thrive because of the support of so many from our community. We rely upon and appreciate our friends; we’re so excited to introduce the new “Friend of the J” membership.
We will always strive to present a broad scope of quality programming and a commitment to excellence; we will continue to enrich the lives of so many in our community. Join us as a Friend of the J member for the nominal fee of $36 per year. For more information, contact Marsha Ismach, (561) 852-3268 or email@example.com.
CHILDCARE Supervised childcare in our Sports & Wellness building. Call 561-852-3200 to make a reservation. > Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 10:30 am Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 - 11:30 am > 3 months - 2 1/2 years old, $4 per hour (guests $8) per child per hour LEVIS JCC SPORTS & WELLNESS MEMBERSHIP RATES There are membership categories for individuals, families, and students. No one is denied membership to the Levis JCC because of race, religion or inability to pay. Contact Marsha Ismach at (561) 852-3268 for information about membership. • Arts & Learning/ Sports & Wellness Membership 10% off any membership listed except student memberships; no enrollment fee. • SilverSneakers® This free (for participants enrolled with qualifying insurance companies) Sports & Wellness Center membership offers access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, sauna and other amenities and allows active adults to take greater control of their health. Visit www.silversneakers.com or call 1-888-423-4632 to see if you qualify. • Corporate Membership A 20% discount on membership fees is extended to businesses and organizations with at least 5 employees joining the Levis JCC. The individual enrollment fee is reduced to $35 per membership. • Seasonal Membership Whether you are in town for a short visit or here all winter, enjoy the Levis JCC Sports & Wellness Center for $45 per month per person. No enrollment fee.
All Memberships include a one-time $69 enrollment fee unless noted. TYPE
FULL FAMILY 2 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
COUPLE Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL Ages 18+
INDIVIDUAL WITH CHILDREN 1 adult household with children under 25 years old (residing at the same address)
INDIVIDUAL, EVENING & WEEKEND Ages 18+ Mon - Thurs: 5:00 - 9:00 pm, Fri 4:00 - 5:00 pm, Sat 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
SUPER SAVER Mon - Fri: 12:00 - 4:00 pm, Sat: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
COLLEGE STUDENT Full time 12+ credits, student ID/ transcript required
$23 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
TEEN STUDENT Ages 12-18
$18 + reduced enrollment fee of $20
NEW! BECOME A “FRIEND OF THE J”
$36 per year no enrollment fee
To become a member or for more information, contact Marsha Ismach 561-852-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING Levis JCC Phyllis & Harvey Sandler Center
The following is a sampling of our programs. Look for our Art, Culture & Learning brochure which features a complete schedule. All programs are held in the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted and are subject to change. Exclusive Magazine Sponsor of the 2016-17 Season
SUSANA FLAUM | Director | 561-558-2520 | email@example.com Sylvia & Jerry Wolens 2016-2017 Cultural Season ARTS & LEARNING MEMBERSHIP A&L Platinum Membership ($500) and A&L Gold Membership ($75) is offered on a yearly basis September 1 - August 31. Gold Members enjoy significant discounts and Platinum Members enjoy a vast selection of programs at no cost. Combined Levis JCC Sports & Wellness and A&L members enjoy special discounts. For membership details and a complete list of benefits, call the Sandler Center at 561-558-2520. Membership is not required to attend any Sandler Center Programs. • A Literary Afternoon Series Personal appearances by six noted authors, discussions and book signings. Learn about their works and the creative process. > Tuesdays, 2:30 pm > January 10, Armando Lucas Correa, The German Girl > February 7, Ellen Feldman, Terrible Virtue and Jennifer Brown, Modern Girls > March 7, Eileen Pollack, A Perfect Life > March 28, Irina Reyn, The Imperial Wife > Individual program: $25, A&L Gold Members: $20, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> March 2, Homegoing, Yaa Gyasi > April 6, History of the Rain, Niall Williams > May 4, A Little Life, Han Yanagihara > $8, A&L Gold Members: $6, A&L Platinum Members: Free NATHAN D. ROSEN MUSEUM GALLERY
The Nathan D. Rosen Museum Gallery is generously underwritten by The Sylvia Rosen Fund.
• Winter Exhibition: January 8 - March 3 > FootWear Art by Kobi Levi Israeli shoe designer Kobi Levi makes his U.S. debut and will reveal his newest designs! Thirty pairs of hand-made custom shoes created and constructed personally by Kobi will be on exhibit and for sale.
> The Art of Coloring Capture the magic of adult coloring with designs by Johanna Basford, originator of the Secret Garden and the Magic Forest. Each participant receives one Basford book and a set of 24 colored pencils.
FootWear Art by Kobi Levi is underwritten by Judi and Allan Schuman.
• Spring Exhibition: March 12 - May 11
• A Book in Concert Readings from Tasa’s Song by Linda Kass, accompanied by musical selections from her novel performed by Carpe Diem String Quartet.
> Annual Levis JCC Pottery Guild Exhibit & Sale Utilitarian, sculptural and decorative works of ceramics created by members of the Levis JCC Pottery Guild and instructors Marilyn Wander and Abbey Funk on display and for sale.
• The Levis JCC Book Club > First Thursday of each month, through May, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > January 5, Trouble in the Tribe; The American Jewish Conflict Over Israel, Dov Waxman and The German Girl, Armando Lucas Correa > February 2, Terrible Virtue, Ellen Feldman
> SPLASH Art Create and complete your own 11” x 14” painting with the guidance of artist Nicole Merritt.
> Wednesday, March 15, 7:00 - 9:00 pm > $40
> The Contemplative Series by Mark W. Forman Contemporary abstracts draw the viewer into an introspective mood of contemplation and inspire meditative observation.
Generously underwritten by Susan & Seymour Applebaum and Dina & Norman Berg.
• Art Workshops
> Monday, February 13, 1:00 - 3:00 pm > $40
This series is generously underwritten by Charna Larkin and the Myrna Lippman Literary Fund. The Levis JCC is a member of the Jewish Book Network sponsored by the Jewish Book Council.
> Friday March 17, 2:00 pm > $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> Series price: $60, A&L Gold Members: $50, A&L Platinum Members: Free > Individual Art Talks: $18, A&L Gold Members: $12, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> Opening Reception: Sunday, March 12, 1:00 - 4:00 pm Free. RSVP 561-558-2520. ART • Art Talks: The World of Art Presentations by artists Kobi Levi, designer of FootWear Art; Bill Farran, block printing artist; Fred Rosenberg, specialist in the effect of photography on history and Madeline Siegel, Boca Raton Museum of Art docent. > Mondays, January 9, 23, February 6, March 6, March 20, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
> Wednesday, March 1, 7:00 - 9:00 pm > $35 > Silk Scarf Painting with Constance Byrd Make your own distinctive design using the salt technique. Price includes one scarf and supplies. > Thursday, January 26, 1:00 - 5:00 pm > Wednesday, February 22, 1:00 - 5:00 pm > Thursday, March 9, 1:00 - 5:00 pm > $45 (small scarf), $65 (large scraf) > Pottery Classes Pottery on the wheel, hand building and clay sculpting with Marilyn Wander and Abbey Funk. Learn techniques of hand building and throwing. Advanced students sharpen skills. All levels are welcome.
Register by calling the Levis JCC Sandler Center at 561-558-2520 unless noted PAGE 14
• Winter Session > Mondays, January 9 - March 27 (no class 1/16, 2/20), 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 10-week session: $350, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $320 > Tuesdays, January 3 - March 28, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 13-week session: $455, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $416 > Wednesdays, January 4 - March 29, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 13-week session: $455, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $416 > Thursdays, January 5 - March 30, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 13-week session: $455, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $416 • Spring Session > Mondays, April 3 - May 22 (no class 4/17), 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 7-week session: $245, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $224 > Tuesdays, April 4 - May 23 (no class 4/11, 4/18), 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 6-week session: $210, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $192 > Wednesdays, April 5 - May 24 (no class 4/12), 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 7-week session: $245, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $224 > Thursdays, April 6 - May 25, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm > 8-week session: $280, A&L Gold and Platinum Members: $265 > All sessions include free studio time. Basic tools available for student use. Clay available for purchase. > Additional $20 supply fee per session
into the Army and girls around the country are heartbroken. Meanwhile, aspiring chemist and struggling song writer Albert Peterson is convinced he can make his fortune and marry his girlfriend Rosie if Conrad kisses a high school girl goodbye on the Ed Sullivan show. The scheme works, with Kim McAfee chosen, but no one counts on jealous boyfriend Hugo! > Thursday, January 12, 7:30 pm > Saturday, January 14, 7:30 pm > Sunday, January 15, 2:00 pm > VIP Seating: $36, Reserved Seating: $28, A&L Gold Members: $23, A&L Platinum Members: Free Bye Bye Birdie is presented by special permission of Tams-Witmark
> Driving Miss Daisy By Alfred Uhry Elderly Jewish widow Daisy Werthan, living in Atlanta, is determined to maintain her independence. However, when she crashes her car, her son Boolie arranges for her to have a chauffeur, an African-American driver named Hoke Colburn. Daisy and Hoke gradually form a close friendship over the years, one that transcends racial prejudices and social conventions. > Thursdays, February 2, 9, 16, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm > Saturdays, February 4, 11, 18, 7:30pm > Sundays, February 5, 12, 19, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free Driving Miss Daisy is presented by special permission of Dramatists Play Service
> Uncle Philip’s Coat Written and performed by Matty Selman, this is the story of human contact, misunderstandings, a lifetime of resentment and the joy of discovery, of letting go. Winner Best Production of a play in the 2015 United Solo Theater Festival in New York. > Saturday, February 25, 7:30 pm and Sunday February 26, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $40, General Admission Seating: $30, A&L Gold Members: $25, A&L Platinum Members: Free
JCC LIVE THEATER Purchase tickets online at levisjcc.org/theater. These professional and community theater productions feature preferred seating, concessions and no service charges. Online, VIP and group ticket sales. Call the Box Office at 561-558-2512. • Levis JCC in Association with Chicken Coop Theatre Presents > Bye Bye Birdie Levis JCC Zinman Hall Teen idol Conrad Birdie has been drafted
> Jewtopia By Bryan Fogel and Sam Wolfson Christian O’Connell has met the girl of his dreams in Rabbi’s daughter Alison Marks. Unfortunately, he tells her his name is Avi Rosenberg, and that he is Jewish – neither of which is true. He turns to his childhood best friend, Adam Lipschitz, to teach him how to “act Jewish.” Adam has problems of his own, with a non-Jewish fiancée pushing him closer to a mental breakdown as their wedding approaches. Cultures collide and chaos ensues! > Thursday, March 2, 2:00 pm, 7:30 pm > Saturday, March 4, 7:30 pm > Sunday March 5, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $36, General Admission Seating: $28, A&L Gold Members: $23, A&L Platinum Members: Free Jewtopia is presented by special permission of Samuel French
> Love Loss & What I Wore By Nora & Delia Ephron Proving that a great show is always in fashion, this intimate collection of stories by Nora and Delia Ephron based on the best-seller by Ilene Beckerman uses clothing and accessories as a time capsule of a woman’s life to tell funny and often poignant stories that all women can relate to. Return engagement after sold-out performances last season! > Thursday March 16, 2:00 pm, 7:30 pm > Saturday March 18, 7:30 pm > Sunday March 19, 2:00 pm > VIP Reserved Seating: $36, General Admission Seating: $28, A&L Gold Members: $23, A&L Platinum Members: Free Love Loss & What I Wore is presented by special permission of Dramatists Play Service
This Summer SUMMER SIZZLES AT THE LEVIS JCC SANDLER CENTER Enjoy the very best in movies, music and Live Theater this summer, including: • Classic Stages a Celebration of Cinema Musicals > Late June • The Odd Couple > Late July
• Movies every Wednesday including > Matinee Movies with Myrna Loman > Women Making Movies > Stage to Screen
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
ART, CULTURE & LEARNING FILMS Join us for an eclectic assortment of foreign, independent, documentary and performance films. Foreign, American and Independent films followed by discussion.
• Women Making Movies Award winning films by women directors, followed by discussion with moderator Linda Horowitz. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles.
• Matinee Movies with Myrna Loman > The first and third Wednesdays of the month through May, 1:00 pm. Please call 561-558-2520 for dates and film titles. > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free
> Wednesdays, 1:00 pm > February 8: Brave Miss World, a film by Celia Peck, 2013 > March 8: The Longing: The Forgotten Jews of South America, a film by Gabriela Bohm, 2007 > May 10: Dancing in Jaffa, a film by Hilla Medalia, 2013 • Sunday Morning Israeli Film Series with Dr. Mort Plotnick Presentation and discussion of awardwinning Israeli films. Bagels and coffee included. All films subject to change. > Sundays, 9:30 am - 12:00 pm > January 15: Manpower > February 12: Einstein in the Holy Land > March 12: Peter the Third > April 2: Dawn > Individual films: $16, A&L Gold Members: $14, Platinum Members: $6
• From Stage to Screen! Filmed presentations of the best in live performances of opera, ballet, symphony and theater from around the world. Visit levisjcc.org/culture for titles. > Wednesdays, 1:00 pm > January 25: Encores! Great Performances at the Met > February 22: An Evening with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater > March 22: Great Opera Arias: A Gala Concert from the Royal Opera House > April 26: Sondheim: The Birthday Concert > May 24: The Original Three Tenors Concert
Generously underwritten by Bobbie & Michael Drukman and Marlene Levin.
> Individual lecture: $18, A&L Gold Members: $12, A&L Platinum Members: Free (unless otherwise noted) > Best Value: Choose any 5 lectures for $75, A&L Gold Members: $50, A&L Platinum Members: Free > Andy Warhol Was a Hoarder; Inside the Minds of History’s Great Personalities with Claudia Kalb In this surprising and meticulously researched look at the evolution of mental health, acclaimed health and science journalist Claudia Kalb gives us a glimpse into the lives of high-profile historic figures through the lens of modern psychology, weaving groundbreaking research into biographical narratives that are deeply embedded in our culture. > Wednesday, January 11, 7:30 pm
> Thursday, January 19, 2:00 pm
MINDFULNESS BASED STRESS REDUCTION WITH BRETT FERRIGAN MBSR is a practical, scientifically-supported program to reduce stress, facilitate relaxation, and promote physical health and emotional well-being.
> Mondays, 10:30 am -12:00 pm > Session I: January 23, 30, February 6, 13 > Session II: February 27, March 6, 13, 20 > 4-week session: $80, A&L Gold Members: $65, A&L Platinum Members: $50
• Lectures All lectures are held at the Levis JCC Sandler Center unless otherwise noted. All programs subject to change. Call 561-558-2520 for additional dates and topics.
> The Comedy of Aging: A Laughing Matter with Ira Epstein, Ph.D. Examine the aging process through the comedy of Robert Klein, Rita Rudner, Phyllis Diller, Ellen DeGeneres, Jerry Seinfeld and others as well as humorous cartoons, quotes and songs.
Courses MEMORY MATTERS: MEMORY RETENTION AND BRAIN FITNESS WITH BARBARA F. KLAU, M.S. Pick up some fun, interactive, and challenging memory enhancement strategies that will help you feel more empowered and sharp.
THE MARLENE AND HERB LEVIN ADULT UNIVERSITY
> Fridays, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > February 24 free trial class, March 3, 17, 24, 31, and April 7 > 6-week session: $120, A&L Gold Members: $100, A&L Platinum: $75 Fee includes audio downloads of guided meditations, body movement and body scan exercises; all materials and a personalized mindfulness based stress reduction manual.
> Presidential Leadership Throughout American History; The Greats, The Mediocre and the Failures! with Ronald Feinman, Ph.D. > Tuesday, February 21, 7:30 pm > The Legal and Historical Evolution of the Crime of Genocide with Irving Berkowitz, Ph.D., Dean of Academic Affairs, Palm Beach State College Examine the infamous genocides of the 20th Century, how the concept of genocide evolved in international law, and he will carefully deconstruct the legal definition adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1948. > Thursday, February 23, 7:30 pm
Art, Culture & Learning programs are sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, the Florida Council of Arts and Culture and the State of Florida (Section 286.25, Florida Statutes).
Register by calling the Levis JCC Sandler Center at 561-558-2520 unless noted PAGE 16
> Jewish Justices of the Supreme Court with David Dalin, Ph.D. > Wednesday, March 29, 7:30 pm • Ongoing Programs > Israeli Dancing with Steve Weissman Chassidic to Yemenite. All levels welcome. > Ongoing Mondays, 7:30 - 10:30 pm > $10, A&L Gold Members: $8, A&L Platinum Members: Free > The Ladies Room with Trudy Berlin, M.A. Discuss women’s issues relating to finances, relationships, family dynamics, women’s rights and more. Refreshments served. > Ongoing Tuesdays, 10:00 -11:30 am > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum Members: Free > Psychology of the News with Trudy Berlin, M.A. and Sharon Segal An invigorating discussion of current events and the important issues of our times. Refreshments served. > Ongoing Tuesdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm > $8, A&L Gold Members: $5, A&L Platinum Members: Free
• Games > Mah Jongg and Canasta Lessons Small class environment. Two consecutive weeks, 2 classes per week. Pre-registration required. Call 561-558-2520 for information. > $75, A&L Gold Members: $55, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Trips and Travel > Cuba Reunion Past and future travelers to Cuba join Susana Flaum, Sandler Center Director, Silvia Wilhelm from CubaPuentes and special guest Uva De Aragon FIU professor, journalist and writer. Refreshments served. > Thursday, January 26, 7:30 pm > $10 per person > For more information and to RSVP, call 561-558-2520. > Cuba: Culture, History and Jewish Community Guided tours of cultural sites, artists’ studios, museums, performances and lectures. Levis JCC has 15 years experience leading group tours to Cuba! Call 561-558-2520. > February 1-6, March 1-6, March 29-April 2, April 19-23
> Torah for Our Times with Rabbi Eli Rabovsky An expedition to the essence of our Jewish heritage and tradition, from Genesis to the present. > Ongoing Wednesdays through May, 2:00 - 3:00 pm > $5, A&L Gold Members: $3, A&L Platinum Members: Free > The Wisdom Circle with Liz Sterling Share, explore and support one another through intelligent and heartfelt conversation. > Wednesdays, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free > Life’s Ground Rules: Essential Elements of a Meaningful Life with Marilyn Charwat > Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm > $13, A&L Gold Members: $10, A&L Platinum Members: Free • Technology > iHelp for iPad Hands on, patient instruction for beginners and those who wish to advance. Private lessons available on Fridays. Call Stephanie at 561-558-2541. > $35 per 1 hour private lesson
> Sight, Sounds, and Flavors of Spain & Portugal July 1-14 Plan ahead! Explore Spain & Portugal on an AMA Waterways ™ land and sea adventure. Spend 3 nights in Madrid, enjoy a 7-night Douro cruise, followed by 3 nights in Lisbon. Call 561-218-2077 to reserve. Join us for an informational meeting with Susana Flaum, Sandler Center Director, Sam Aron from AirCruiseSavings and Diane Curchy Horan, AMA East Coast Sales Manager. Win prizes and receive a special gift if you are already registered or register at the meeting! RSVP 561-558-2520. > Tuesday, January 31, 3:30 pm
WORDS … ALIVE! Founded by Eunice Bernard and Carol Clarke Performed by Carol Clarke, Barbara Bradshaw and Phyllis Spear • Remembering Joan Rivers > Thursday, February 23, 2:00 pm WORDPLAY: JEWISH. STORIES. MUSIC. With storyteller Caren Neile and violinist Randi Fishenfeld. It’s haimish. It’s hip. It’s melody melting into story, and story into melody. > Thursday, March 9, 7:30 pm BOCA RATON JEWISH FILM FESTIVAL Experience the Diversity of Jewish Life & Culture Through Film Be a part of the inaugural Boca Raton Jewish Film Festival at the Cinemark Palace 20, featuring an eclectic collection of feature films, documentaries and short films from the United States, Israel and many other countries. > March 19-26 at Cinemark Palace 20, Boca Raton > Festival Passes now available, call 561-558-2520 to join us! > For sponsorship opportunities, call 561-852-3237. I SHALL NOT BE SILENT In partnership with the Boca Raton Symphonia Documentary film about Rabbi Joachim Prinz, a leader of the civil rights movement, and a talk by Dr. Irving Berkowitz, Dean of Academic Affairs, Palm Beach State College. > Thursday, April 20, 2:00 pm
Levis JCC Sandler Center • 21050 95th Avenue S. • Boca Raton, FL LEVISJCC.ORG
STRENGTHENING OUR COMMUNITY For more than 30 years, the Levis JCC has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in our community. It’s a place to connect, to be enriched and to have fun. From babies, children, teens to adults, this is “home” for our whole community. The generosity of our founders and supporters enables the Levis JCC to continuously offer the highest quality programs and services to thousands of individuals and families.
CINDY BERGMAN | Associate Executive Director | 561-852-3253 | firstname.lastname@example.org
WAYS TO GIVE A gift to the Levis JCC helps ensure the success of our continuum of programs: early childhood education, summer camp, health awareness, special needs, elder care services, sports and wellness, cultural and spiritual programs. There are many ways to support the Levis JCC. • Donate to the Annual Campaign When you give an unrestricted gift to the Levis JCC, you entrust your resources to our staff and lay leaders. That is an honor we take seriously. We carefully direct funds to the programs and services where they are needed most. If you feel passionately about a specific Levis JCC program, supporting it is easy – whether preschool or camp scholarships, special needs, the arts or sports and wellness, giving with your heart is easy and deeply appreciated.
• Become a Community Partner Good corporate citizenship makes great business sense. A partnership with the Levis JCC provides an opportunity to reach our dynamic community of both young families and active mature adults, gaining exposure to thousands of individuals who regularly participate in Levis JCC programs, activities and events, as well as to the broader community at large. Becoming a Community Partner is a commitment you make to help us strengthen our community. There are numerous ways for local businesses to support the Levis JCC. In addition to emerald, sapphire, ruby and diamond sponsorship levels, there are also opportunities to sponsor various events including the Levis JCC Golf Classic, the Annual Fundraiser, Racing With the J (a series of 3 5k race/walks), as well as many events associated with our Betty & Marvin Zale Early Childhood Learning Center, our Marleen Forkas Camps, and our Helene & Roy Schwedelson Special Needs Department. • Send a Tribute Recognizing and honoring life’s milestones with a tribute to the Levis JCC shows you take caring seriously. For joyous and somber occasions alike, making a gift in honor or in memory of a loved one, to mark a special anniversary, birthday or simcha is a special way for you to share the love and benefit our community at the same time.
PLANNED GIVING Putting your money where your heart is means giving a gift you will feel great about for years to come. A planned gift to Levis JCC helps build critical resources for our future. The principal of your endowment is invested and remains untouched. The yearly earnings provide resources to fund Levis JCC programs and services. We tailor giving programs to each donor’s financial and real estate planning goals, ensuring that you realize benefits today while providing for future generations.
WHAT WILL YOUR LEGACY BE? What aspects of Jewish life would you like to preserve most – learning, community, worship, caring for those in need or social justice? Through Create a Jewish Legacy, you can leave a lasting personal legacy for generations to come. For more information, please contact:
Cindy Bergman Associate Executive Director (561) 852-3253 • email@example.com
Support the Levis JCC, contact Cindy Bergman at 561-852-3253 PAGE 18
REGISTRATION FORM LAST NAME
Additional person(s) authorized to pick up child(ren) Name Name
Phone # ( Phone # (
HOME PHONE CELL PHONE E-MAIL
If person picking up is not listed, you must send a note to instructor or call Lesley Surfer 561-852-3212.
NAME OF PERSON TAKING THE CLASS
I would like to help support the Levis JCC’s programs and services with a tax-deductible donation in the amount of TOTAL AMOUNT DUE PLEASE CHECK ALL THAT APPLY
$ ROOM #
r PLEASE TRANSPORT MY ZALE CHILD(REN) TO ENRICHMENT r I WILL TRANSPORT MY CHILD(REN) TO ENRICHMENT r PLEASE TRANSPORT MY CHILD(REN) BACK TO ZALE AFTER ENRICHMENT
PAYMENT INFORMATION r MC
PAID AMOUNT $
r DISCOVER EXP DATE
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING
1. The Levis JCC reserves the right to make any class alterations or cancellations due to insufficient enrollment. In such cases, a full refund will be given. 2. Withdrawals are accepted up to one week prior to the class start date. A refund of 75% will be provided if sufficient enrollment of the class has been obtained at the time of withdrawal. Refunds will not be made once class has begun. 3. Tickets to events/trips are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. 4. Participation in any Adolph & Rose Levis JCC activity and use of any recreational facility involves risk of accidental injury despite all safety precautions. Having been informed of the activity to be conducted by the ADOLPH AND ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER I/We, as an individual or as a parent or guardian of the participants named herein, assume all risks and hazards incidental to the activities, and release from responsibility and agree to indemnify and hold harmless the ADOLPH AND ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER, its officers, directors, independent contractors, volunteers and all employees for any illness or injury to me or any children or family members occurring during his/her/our participation in any activities or use of any facilities at or activities conducted by the ADOLPH AND ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER. 5. Members must remain members in good standing and remain current in all payments. Membership may be cancelled for violation of the general operating rules of the Adolph & Rose Levis JCC and Jewish Federation Campus. Inappropriate behavior will not be accepted. Refunds will not be issued for cancelled memberships. 6. I/ we understand that from time to time our pictures or our Family’s picture may be taken in an Adolph & Rose Levis JCC program or activity. We understand and agree that these photos may be used for promotional materials, newsletters or brochures for the Adolph & Rose Levis JCC. Signature (consent of parent or guardian)
REGISTRAR: 561-852-3262 • Sports & Wellness Center FAX: 561-558-2111 • MAIL: Levis JCC Registrar • 9801 Donna Klein Blvd. • Boca Raton, FL 33428 LEVISJCC.ORG
NON-PROFIT ORG. U.S. POSTAGE
Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center 9801 Donna Klein Boulevard Boca Raton, FL 33428
WEST PALM BEACH, FL PERMIT NO. 1116
AN EVENING TO BENEFIT THE PROGRAMS AND SERVICES OF THE
ADOLPH & LEVIS ROSEJEWISH LEVIS COMMUNITY JEWISH COMMUNITY ADOLPH & ROSE CENTER
SHINE An event to benefit children and families supported by Levis JCC Scholarship Funds HONORARY CHAIR: JUDY LEVIS MARKHOFF
CO-CHAIRS: MARISA BAKER AND ELYSSA KUPFERBERG
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19 Boca West Country Club
Register online at levisjcc.org/shinelikeastar For sponsorship opportunities call Cindy Bergman at 561.852.3253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Featuring Keynot e Speaker MONICA LEWINSKY
ADOLPH & ROSE LEVIS JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER • 9801 DONNA KLEIN BOULEVARD • BOCA RATON, FL 33428
Published on Dec 27, 2016
The Levis JCC promotes and enhances Jewish culture, heritage and values through educational, spiritual, social, wellness and recreational pr...