The Lambton County House of Refuge was an early predecessor to modern long-term care facilities, housing the destitute, elderly, and infirm in a four-story white brick building on 60 acres at Sarnia's eastern edge. Built in 1889 and opened in 1896, this impressive facility included working farm and orchard where residents contributed through cooking, cleaning, and agricultural work in exchange for lodging.
Despite being known as the "Poor House," it was recognized as one of Ontario's finest facilities, accommodating up to 62 residents with modern amenities and common areas. The House of Refuge operated until 1954 when it was demolished and replaced by Twilight Haven (later Meadowview Villa) near Petrolia. This historical ledger documents the original residents during the facility's formative years through 1924.