Page 1



THIRD DEGREE The Journal of the Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa at the University of Maryland


Rescued and refinished by John J.B. Wright (‘82), this bronze plaque commemorating the Eta Brothers who gave their lives in service to our country during World War II has returned to its place of honor in the new home of the Eta Chapter at #2 Fraternity Row.

Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa

Todd B. Hoffman ‘82, Secretary

12806 Silverbirch Lane Laurel, Maryland 20708

Peter J. Della-Croce ‘99, Treasurer John J. B. Wright, Esq. ‘82, Second Vice President


Wayne H. Bethards ‘59, First Vice President Joseph E. Criscuoli ‘82, President

MEMORIAL DAY “Dulce et decorum est” The bugle echoes shrill and sweet, But not of war it sings to-day. The road is rhythmic with the feet Of men-at-arms who come to pray. The roses blossom white and red On tombs where weary soldiers lie; Flags wave above the honored dead And martial music cleaves the sky. Above their wreath-strewn graves we kneel, They kept the faith and fought the fight. Through flying lead and crimson steel They plunged for Freedom and the Right.

May we, their grateful children, learn Their strength, who lie beneath this sod, Who went through fire and death to earn At last the accolade of God. In shining rank on rank arrayed They march, the legions of the Lord; He is their Captain unafraid, The Prince of Peace ... ...Who brought a sword.

- Joyce Kilmer, 1914

The One We Lost... by Joseph E. Criscuoli ‘82

A Story of Honor and Sacrifice in Remembrance of Veteran’s Day


A Preface

his article did not start out as a tribute to a solitary member of our fraternity. I was, in truth, originally intent upon preparing a history of the earliest days of the Eta Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa. Through some basic research, an inter-library loan, and a fairly long wait, I came to possess, if for only a few weeks, a copy of "Phi Sigma Kappa: A History - 1873-1923" written by Frank Prentice Rand and published in 1923 by the Council of Phi Sigma Kappa (Amherst, Mass.). Therein I found many interesting tales of the early days of our fraternity, but not quite as much detail as I had hoped to glean about how Eta came to be. In that I have an interest in history, and especially enjoy reading military history, and because this

28 Winter 2010


book covered the period from 1914-1918, I was able to learn about the effect of World War I upon our fraternity, and the number of men that our fraternity sent to fight "the war to end all wars." Of special interest was a table listing all the Chapters of Phi Sigma Kappa and the number of men from each Chapter who participated, were wounded, and who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. In all, the thirty-two chapters of Phi Sigma Kappa in existence at that time reported their total living membership as of November 11, 1918 as 4,970. Of these living members, 2,600, or 52%, had "thrown their hat into the ring" and been in service during World War I. Eta, the seventh chapter to be established, placed ninth in living membership with 221, of which 76 had been in service, and 42 of those

Young Mr. Emory German Horton Hunt Emory was born in Allegheny County, Maryland on September 27, 1882, the son of William Hopper Emory, Jr. and Eleanor "Ellen" Louise (nee Hunt) Emory, and grandson of German H. Hunt, of "Grey Rock," in Baltimore County. It has been just seventeen years since Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox, thus ending the Civil War. Young Master Emory was educated at schools in Baltimore, and at the Hill School, near Pottstown, Pennsylvania and St. Luke's School in Philadelphia. He then entered the law school of the University of Maryland. He joined the Eta Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa, a social fraternity, and became the 51st member to sign the Eta Chapter Roll. He was characterized as a carefree student while at law school, but studied hard and with tremendous selfdiscipline. He would not hesitate to work all night, yet did not complain about his workload. He was perhaps the youngest person in his class, and as such was full of pranks. Fun to be with, he seemed to be enjoying life immensely. Graduating from the University of Maryland earlier than others, he was forced to wait until his twenty-first birthday to be admitted to the bar in 1903. 76, or 55%, had been commissioned as officers. However, the last number on this chart associated with Eta gave me reason to pause. That number was "1" - representing the number of deaths from our chapter during The Great War. Checking another appendix in the book, I was able to identify the name of the Eta brother killed in action: German H. H. Emory, who held the rank of Major with the 320th Infantry Regiment, 80th Division, of the American Expeditionary Forces and who received the Distinguished Service Cross for his exploits in battle. I wanted to learn more about Major Emory, and in so doing I learned a few things about duty, honor, sacrifice, and brotherhood beyond a collegiate setting. I also wanted to pursue this story because Brother Emory was, from the standpoint of World War I, "The One We Lost."

Emory began the practice of law with the firm of Slingluff & Slingluff from 1903 to 1906, moving to private practice from 1906 to 1907. A friend remarked that Emory was the only young lawyer to start his practice by actually reading the Maryland Code, cover to cover, and making copious notes. Emory married Lucy Imogen Stump on June 15, 1907 in Baltimore. Lucy was also from Baltimore County, just five months his junior in age, and within her family known by her nickname Dodi (pronounced "Doh-dee"). In 1908, Emory became a principal in the law firm of Johnson, Emory, Olmstead and Cator, and it was during this time, in 1910, that he also served as Assistant City Solicitor for Baltimore City, serving under Edgar Allan Poe. Winter 2010



October 25, 1915, German and Lucy had a third son, and promptly named him Morris Soper Emory, after the father's close personal friend, former partner, and Chief Judge of the Supreme Bench. Brother Emory's legal work was exemplary. Chief Judge, and college friend, Samuel K. Dennis said, "Emory was an especially gifted lawyer. Ready, suave, cool, democratic and magnetic, he captured courts and juries, made converts to his cause. He built up a following of influential clients who trusted his great good judgment and ability" in every way. "He was considered one of the best trial lawyers in the city. While he was rapidly climbing the ladder of success, he never forgot his less fortunate brothers at the bar, and often lent a helping hand to aid the younger and less experienced men in their work." Brother Emory was offered the Democratic nomination for Judge of the Supreme Court in 1917. He had entertained for several years an ambition to go on the bench, but he declined to become a candidate, stating to the lawyers who called on him to offer political support that he expected to enter the Army. It was at that time that he had applied for acceptance to the first Officers' Camp at Fort Myer, in order to participate in the training that would take him to a position of leadership in the United States Army. German H. H. Emory, Jr. with his Father, Eta Brother, and soon to be Major, German Horton Hunt Emory.

The 1910 Maryland Census lists the Emory home address as 104 W. Eager Street in the City of Baltimore. This is where he and Lucy, both 27 years of age, would encounter the first of three blessed events. On the 7th of December, Lucy would give birth to their first child, a boy, whom they named German Horton Hunt Emory, Jr. In 1911, Emory formed a partnership with Morris A. Soper, who would soon become the Chief Judge of the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City. When Judge Soper ascended to the bench in 1913, Emory made the final change of employers in his legal career, becoming a member of the firm of Frank, Emory & Beeuwkes. On August 20, 1913, Lucy brought forth a second son, whom the proud parents named Richard Woollen Emory. And on 30 Winter 2010


The question is often raised as to why Emory entered into the military service of his country. His prospects in life being so very high, his offer to volunteer seemed that much more remarkable. He entered the camp against the advice, and against the protests, of many of his friends who offered that a married man with a family had no obligation to join the service; that his service to country, in the form of his legal expertise, was more valuable to the war effort than his candidacy as an untrained and untested soldier. But, he was a strong advocate of America's entrance into the war, and he could not himself shirk what he had been urging others to do. It was reported that, in April of 1917, when Congress had filibustered over the question of whether to go to war, Emory left Baltimore for Washington, D.C at two o'clock in the morning to be on hand. He was present at the Capitol when President Wilson went to Congress to ask for a declaration of war. Emory contended that it was his duty to fight for the principles that he upheld, and he was one of the first Marylanders to volunteer. Captain Thomas H. Westlake, of Cleveland, said, "Emory had something unusual in him because of the fact that he had volunteered at the age of almost 40, with a wife and three children dependant upon him." In an address honoring members of the Baltimore Bar who had lost their lives in World War I, Judge Dennis said, "It was not without an inward struggle that he yielded to his conception to the call of duty. Notwithstanding he was beyond the normal military age and was exempt from the draft, early he sought the training camp; exiled himself from

his happy domestic life and congenial professional career to live the bleak, untried life of a soldier. I know the decision cost him many heartaches, real travail of the soul.� These are indeed admirable words, intended to try and explain why this particular individual chose to enter this particularly horrible war. However, we can perhaps best understand the mindset of Brother Emory if we take a moment to read his own words: "My country was my idol! To it I sacrificed every selfish, every endearing sentiment."

On To Camp While at Fort Myer, Emory acted as a correspondent for the Baltimore Sun. His series of articles, entitled "Reports from a Rookie" and carrying his byline, appeared from time to time in the Sun, and explained many details of camp life and the rigors of military training of the day. In his first such report, published on May 19, 1917, Emory wrote, "One coming to camp is struck, instantly, by the type of men Uncle Sam has taken under his care for the next three months, and to whom he will entrust the training of the first army of 500,000. There are quite a number of men between the ages of 30 and 40, but the great majority are from 20 to 30. They are all fine, upstanding fellows, and most of them have had college educations. Many of the men are married and many were doing well in civil life before coming here. They fully appreciated what it would mean for a man to leave his family, friends and business for an indefinite period, and it makes a fellow feel proud of being an American when he glances about and thinks for a Winter 2010



moment of the sacrifices voluntarily assumed by the 2,500 men here and the 38,000 men at the other training camps. I was wondering, at first, why it was that these men deserted their other obligations and assumed their present tasks. I have talked on the subject with a number of the men, and I believe that President Wilson, in his war message of April 2, stated the reason as exactly as it can be stated, when he said: 'To such a task we can dedicate our lives and our fortunes; everything that we are and everything that we have, with the pride of those who know that the day has come when America is privileged to spend her blood and her might for the principles that gave her birth and happiness and the liberty which she has treasured. God helping her, she can do no other.' And America can rest content with the knowledge that these Americans, God helping them, will sacrifice everything to uphold these principles to the bitter, bitter, end." 32 Winter 2010


On May 26th, in his second report, Emory wrote, "The men now know that this country will immediately begin to play a man's part in the war; that our present assistance to the Allies will be not merely money and munitions, but troops, standing shoulder to shoulder with the armies of France and England. These are not the kind of men who want to fight. They have passed the stage at which warfare appears as the authors of romantic warfare stories set it down. No; these men do not see war that way they see it as war is, grim and horrible: and, fully realizing this, when the call came they offered their services and themselves, for they are the kind who just could not stay at home at such a time." Major Emory was one of the few men who came out of the first officers' training camp with the rank of Captain. He was subsequently ordered to Camp Lee, Virginia, where he spent nearly a year. Mrs. Emory and their three children joined him, renting an apartment in Petersburg. While at Camp Lee, the

family celebrated Lucy's 36th birthday on February 26th. On March 7th, just nine days later, Captain Emory was promoted to Major and placed in command of the Third Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment, attached to the 80th Division of the American Expeditionary Forces. Two months later, on May 17 1918, the 80th began to leave Camp Lee, heading for Newport News, Virginia and embarkation. When troops were being rushed to France, the 23,000 soldiers of the 80th Division were sent "over there," arriving in St. Nazaire, Bordeaux and Brest on June 8, 1918.

Over There The assembly point for the division was Calais, from which it departed early in June for training with the British Army in Artois and Picardy, France, and subsequently participated in the initial phases of the Somme Offensive. From there, 80th Division troops were abruptly moved to St. Mihiel for the first American Army offensive, serving under General John J. "Blackjack" Pershing. General Pershing praised the actions of the 80th Division for having gained all of their battle objectives. General Cronkhite, in command of the 80th, recognized his men with the statement,

80th Division, American Expeditionary Forces The 80th Division was first organized on August 5, 1917 in the National Army and headquartered at Camp Lee (now known as Fort Lee), in Petersburg, Virginia. The Division was originally comprised of men mostly from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, and West Virginia. The 80th became known as the "Blue Ridge Division," a nickname chosen out of respect for the mountains from which the men had come, by Maj. Gen. Adelbert Cronkhite, U.S. Army, (right) who commanded the division beginning on September 9, 1917. The unit's distinctive insignia (above) was adopted in 1918 and consists of three stylized blue mountain peaks, representing the Blue Ridge Mountains in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia, with a gold underline. The Division also adopted the Latin Motto, "Vis Montium" or "Strength of the Mountains." In World War I, the 80th Division reached full strength with 23,000 soldiers. “The Division of Unique Distinction� - never failed to gain its objective. It was the only A.E.F. Division called upon three times in the great Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

The 80th was ranked first of all National Army Divisions by the War Department. It always led and captured two Huns for every man wounded. The 80th accomplished results of vast importance to the success of the general operations with a far smaller percentage of casualties than any other division engaged. The Division was comprised of four infantry regiments (317th, 318th, 319th, and 320th), three field artillery battalions, three machine gun battalions (313th, 314th, 315th, respectively) and several units reporting to the Engineer battalions served in the Division, under the 159th and 160th Brigades, 155th Field Artillery Regiment and 305th Engineers. Men of the 80th Division received 619 awards and decorations, including 42 Distinguished Service Crosses. The Division suffered 1,232 battle deaths and 5,622 were wounded in action. Only 101 men of the Division were taken as prisoners. Campaign streamers were authorized for Picardy, the Somme Offensive, Lorraine, and Meuse-Argonne. The 80th Division returned to the United States in May 1919, and the Division was demobilized in June 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio.

Winter 2010



suggestion. This required real nerve to face an old army colonel who could have had him removed, but he did it and won the point. Emory was a real soldier. He hated more than anything else, however, to be away from his wife and children." On September 29th the 80th Division was relieved and assembled in the vicinity of Cuisy, where on October 4th it again attacked, and over difficult ground attained a distance of four kilometers in nine days. During this action, Major Emory was notable in assisting his men, shoulder-to-shoulder, in digging trenches so infamous and well known in

General John J. “Blackjack� Pershing, U. S. Army

"The 80th Only Moves Forward", the motto that has been carried with the Division since 1918. Commencing September 14th, the division moved into the infamous Argonne region and began its preparations for the offensive in that region during the period September 26th through November 11th. One day before Major Emory's birthday, in conjunction with other American divisions, the 80th attacked at Bethincourt, advancing through the hell that was trench warefare a distance of nine kilometers in two days. Major Emory received the American Expeditionary Forces Citation for Gallantry in Action, for rallying the men of the 320th Regiment under terrific machine gun fire in action in the Bois des Ogons, France on September 26, 1918. Emory was a staunch advocate for his men, and may have used his legal experience more than once while at the front. Captain Westlake said, "German Emory deliberately told his superiors time and again that his men were not fit, because of fatigue and hunger, to make further attacks in the early advance in Meuse-Argonne and practically refused to do so. Of course, he did not literally refuse, but his commanding officer knew his worth and his love for his men and acceded more than once to his 34 Winter 2010


this war. On October 7th, Emory outfoxed an aerial assault on his Battalion. Edward C. Lukens, a Lieutenant with the Third Battalion of the 320th Regiment, in his book "A Blue Ridge Memoir", wrote, "Approaching the edge of Bois des Ogons, the battalion took cover in shell holes for a few minutes while the Boche (Germans) shelled the woods." Enemy aircraft "had evidently seen us reach the woods and thought we were going

At Thiacourt, the U.S. Army troops began using Springfield and Browning Automatic Rifles. Prior to that, British Enfields and French Cha Chat automatics had been used. With barely three weeks training with the newer rifles, the 80th troops were thrust into the third and final phase of the Meuse Argonne Offensive. The 80th Division was the only one that saw action during each phase of that offensive.

The Omnibus is Full

through it, for a perfect hail of shells landed among the trees ahead of us. Major Emory fooled them and saved his men by waiting until the worst of it was over before he started" out from the woods. On October 12th the division was again relieved and proceeded by march and bus to the Thiaucourt area where it was re-equipped. During this short respite, writes Lukens, "an order came down from divisional Headquarters that each battalion should hold a memorial service for its dead. Naturally, in most cases these were conducted by the Chaplains, but our Battalion chaplain was in a Base Hospital with a shell wound received in the Bois des Ogons action, while the Regimental Chaplain was struggling to stay out of the hospital in the face of combination of a touch of (poison) gas and a touch of influenza. Major Emory conducted the service himself, and the rough wooden shack that served as the chapel "was more crowded than it would have been for any chaplain in the world. The Major arose to speak, simple and dignified, without a trace of sanctimoniousness or of apology. 'Killed in Action' was his text and in beautiful and eloquent language he showed us the glory of such an epitaph above all others that man could earn or his friends could write for him. He spoke out clearly and frankly what every man of us held deep but vague in his heart - the eternal things for which we were fighting and living and (some of us) dying, the things that we all knew in our hearts were the real things and his tone was not that of mourning but rather almost of envy of the men whose lives had come to such a glorious climax."

On October 29th, Emory's Regiment entered the line at St. Georges-St. Juvin and began preparation for what would be it's last assault on the German lines. E. McClure Rouzer, adjutant to, and close friend of, Major Emory added a chapter to Lukens book entitled "Death of Major G. H. H. Emory." giving great details of the last days of his commander. "We knew enough of the general situation to realize that we were about to take part in an attack of the greatest magnitude and importance," wrote Rouzer." The attack, designed to eliminate the German lines of communication by capturing the railroad from Metz through Sedan was designed to force the enemy to withdraw from France. "Major Emory had already reconnoitered the ground and his report was far from encouraging." A sizable day-long pre-attack artillery barrage was impossible because Allied outposts were too close to the German lines. The 3rd Regiment, because of heavy losses, was already handicapped to meet their objectives, and the lack of artillery would not make this attack any easier. On the evening of October 30th, the Germans gave indication that they were aware of the coming onslaught by conducting an all-night artillery barrage, the likes of which the Americans had never seen. On October 31st, Emory learned that the attack had been scheduled for 5:50 a.m. on the following day, November 1st. At 11:30 p.m. on the evening of the 31st, Major Emory moved out with the battalion to take up their positions for the "jumping off" point along the St. Juvin-St. Georges road. At 1:45 a.m. on November 1st, Emory signaled back to Regimental Headquarters, "The Omnibus is Full" - the signal that the Battalion was in position. At 3:30 a.m. the Allied artillery barrage began, answered almost immediately by an enemy counter-barrage, reported later as the heaviest in all of the war. A slight cessation of the barrage, at 4:30 a.m., was accompanied by Winter 2010



word that the Germans were advancing. The order to fix Bayonets was given and tensions were at a fever pitch. Rouzer wrote, "Notwithstanding the shells that were falling all around, the Major went up and down the road encouraging the men and keeping up the morale. It was a wonderful example of bravery and coolness." As the barrage lifted, and the clock showed 5:30 a.m., the time for the ground assault had come.

Armistice The most notable armistice in history was on November 11, 1918. It is the one which is still meant when people in Europe say simply "The Armistice." It is the armistice at the end of World War I, signed near Compiègne, France, that went into effect at the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month." `Armistice Day is still celebrated in many countries on the anniversary of that armistice. In the United States of America, November 11 is observed as Veterans' Day. Ten days earlier, in the early morning hours of November 1st, the 80th Division had begun an attack on the St. Georges-St. Juvin line. During the next five days they would penetrate a distance of twenty -four kilometers, and were relieved on the morning of November 6th. The men of the 320th Regiment would see no further fighting.

But in the Argonne Forest outside Romagne, France, at 8:15 in the morning on November 1, 1918, just ten days before the Armistice, and just five days before the 320th Regiment would be relieved, Major German H. H. Emory died of machine gun wounds sustained while directing his battalion in their role as the assaulting unit in an attack that ultimately ended the war. After advancing to the north slope of the Ravine Aux Pierres, through heavy machine-gun and shell fire, Major Emory's battalion was held up by a very intense machine-gun fire. Rouzer wrote, "The Major realized the importance of the attack, and was very restive over the hold-up. He personally directed the fight and was constantly exposing himself to machine gun and artillery fire. Time after time I begged him to keep down, but he showed an utter disregard for his own safety, and went from one part of the line to another while under direct enemy fire. At about 8:15 a.m. we were in a shell hole on the crest of the north slope talking over the situation. Major Emory's whole thought was to advance. He started toward the tight of the line. I followed, to beg him to keep down. He had gone only a few yards when I saw him fall. I rushed to him and lifted his head. He murmured, 'My heart...' and became unconscious. He did not move or speak again." Some time later, Judge Dennis recalled, "Think of it; only ten days before the Armistice and safety! It seemed impossible then, still seems impossible, that any civilization should survive even until now that tolerates such martyrdom."

Epilogue Major German H. H. Emory was buried in a little courtyard in the demolished town of St. Juvin; a small wooden cross with his name, rank, regiment and date of death marking his resting place. At the time of his death, Major Emory was just 36 years old. He was survived by his mother; brothers William H. Emory, Jr., John Brooks Emory, and sisters Laura Hunt Emory, Mrs. William Westervelt, and Mrs. S. Proctor Brady. His wife, Miss Lucy S. Stump, survived him, as did their three children, German H. H. Emory, Jr., age 7, Richard Woollen Emory, age 4, and Morris Soper Emory, just 2 years old. 36 Winter 2010


record of Maryland's superb contribution to the war Upon hearing the news of the death of Major in which our hero gave up his life." Emory, the Baltimore Courts adjourned out of respect to his memory. One On January 8, 1919, the Suof Baltimore's most promispreme Bench of Baltimore ing sons had passed and "all held memorial proceedings who knew him gloried at the for Baltimore lawyers killed manner in which he gave up in the war. Speaking about his life." Letters and tributes Major Emory was Albert Cato Major Emory from across bell Ritchie, at that time the the city arrived at desks of Attorney General of the State The Baltimore Sun. In the of Maryland. He said, in part, November 21st edition, the "On that morning his battalExecutive Committee of the ion was the assaulting unit in Baltimore Canned Goods the drive which ended the Exchange wrote, "And now war. They went over top to our unwilling ears comes shortly after half past five the news of his death upon and for hours were subjected the field of battle. Strange to heavy artillery and maemotions move us - emotions chine gun barrage from the of pity for his dear ones so enemy. Major Emory, as severely stricken, not unusual, was always in the front mixed with emotions of loftiline, directing the attack, ralest admiration for the splenlying and encouraging his did American soldier whose men, as only an officer brave life and whose death were and beloved by them could faithful to the noblest of our do. At a quarter past eight a native traditions. Dying, Mamachine gun bullet passed jor Emory, patriot and solthrough is heart, and thus he dier, leaves behind him the died." heritage of a name whose Major German H. H. Emory, U. S. Army luster will remain undimmed 3rd Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment, 80th One year and six days followduring long years to come Division, American Expeditionary Forces ing this solemn occasion, and which will enrich the

Winter 2010



The Order of St. Sava, bestowed upon Major Emory by the Royal Family of Serbia.

38 Winter 2010


Albert Cabell Ritchie would be sworn in as the 49th Governor of Maryland, a post he would hold for fifteen years, winning re-election three times. During his fourth and final term as Governor, a sports facility, the Ritchie Coliseum, would be dedicated in his honor on the campus of the University of Maryland at College Park. The United States had declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917. On April 13th, the Secretaries of State, War, and the Navy jointly wrote President Wilson that "There is a steadily developing need for some authoritative agency to assure the publication of all the vital facts of national defense. It is our opinion that the two functions of censorship and publicity can be joined in honesty and with profit, and we recommend the creation of a Committee on Public Information. On April 14th, President Wilson created the Committee on Public Information (CPI), and on May 10, 1917, the CPI published the first issue of "Official Bulletin." The Bulletin printed the names of all war casualties and all service people receiving decorations, every communiquÊ issued by Gen. Pershing, the U.S. commander in France, every Federal paper, proclamation, executive order, and all statements and pronouncements and addresses by the President as well as other important announcements of government department of importance to the war effort. The Official Bulletin’s title was changed to "Official U.S. Bulletin" in August 1918; it appeared daily Monday through Saturday in tabloid format, and each issue contained from eight to thirty pages. On March 20, 1919, The "Official U.S. Bulletin," presented a listing of Americans under the headline, "Soldiers Honored by Pershing for Heroism." On page 25, among the names listed was that of Major German H. H. Emory. Major Emory had been awarded the Distingushed Service Cross for his actions of November 1, 1918.

From the War Department, and pursuant to General Orders No. 27 (1919), the citation reads: "The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Major (Infantry) German H. H. Emory, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with the 3rd Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment, 80th Division, American Expeditionary Forces, near Sommerance, France, on 1 November 1918. On the morning of November 1st, 1918, the 3rd Battalion, 320th Infantry had advanced under heavy enemy artillery and machine gun fire to the north slope of the Ravine Aux Pierres, north of the St. Juvin-St. Georges road. The crest of the slope was being swept with a murderous machine gun fire and the advance of the battalion was momentarily checked. Without care for his personal safety and inspired only by the thought that his battalion must go forward, Major Emory, though exposed to direct machine gun fire and in plain view of the enemy, calmly moved back and forth along his whole front, encouraging his troops and personally directing the attack. While thus engaged, he was unfortunately killed. By his magnificent example of coolness and bravery, he so encouraged and inspired the men of his command that they held this very exposed position and finally succeeded in overcoming the enemy resistance." By 1920, the Maryland Census indicates that the Emory family had relocated to 48 W. Biddle Street in Baltimore. Lucy, his widow, now 37, was joined by her sisters, Mary, 32, and Martha, 25, and their mother, Nannie Howland (Woolen) Stump, in the care of the three young Emory boys. It is possible that, on August 25, 1920, these seven members of the Emory family were present, along with an artist by the name of Thomas Cromwell Corner, for the unveiling of a portrait entitled "Major German Horton Hunt Emory, Esq. (1882-1918)." The painting, executed in oil on canvas and measuring Winter 2010



50" wide and 76" tall, was commissioned by the Baltimore Bar Association and donated to the Baltimore City Circuit Court At the time of the unveiling, Corner was also a Trustee of The Baltimore Museum of Art, a post he held from its inception in 1914 until his death in 1938. Born in 1882, Corner was the same age as the subject of his painting. Educated at Baltimore City College, Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, the Art Students League in New York, and the AcadĂŠmie Julian, Paris, Corner was known for his portraiture and works in still life, and had been commissioned to paint many luminaries of the Maryland Bar. The Baltimore City Circuit Court and the Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection in Connection with the Maryland State Archives maintains twenty of Corner's works; another seven can be found in Annapolis. It is indeed fortunate that the time spent in France by the 320th has been appropriately documented in great detail. In 1922 the book "A Blue Ridge Memoir" was published, detailing the exploits of the 320th in the Great War. The author, Edward C. Lukens, a Lieutenant with the 320th, dedicated his book: "To the inspiring memory of that fearless soldier and splendid man who fell leading his battalion against the enemy at St. Juvin, France, on November first nineteen hundred and eighteen, German Horton Hunt Emory, Major, Three Hundred and Twenty-first Infantry, this book is affectionately dedicated." Brother Emory may have fallen in the Great War, but he would not soon be forgotten. In the Fall of 1978, The Maryland Bar Journal published the ninth and last in a series of articles penned by H. H. 40 Winter 2010


Walter Lewis, then known as Baltimore's favorite living historian, entitled "Roundtable Reminiscences. " In the series Lewis sought not to eulogize but rather to provide "a picture of the lawyers who make up so significant a part of the history of Maryland's legal community." Lewis, quoting Governor-tobe Ritchie, wrote, "We feel a solemn pride in what he was and what he would have been. The memory of the sweetness of his character, which drew men to him, and the example of the sacrifice he made, must we know make our lives better. But most of all, today, we miss him." In 1978, Maryland had existed for 349 years, and Brother Emory was one of just nine outstanding lawyers to be profiled in a publication whose readership was comprised almost exclusively of other lawyers. The body of German Horton Hunt Emory, Major, 3rd Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment, 80th Division, American Expeditionary Forces, was moved from St. Juvin and now rests in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and Memorial, also known as the Argonne American Cemetery, with 14,816 of his fellow soldiers of the United States of America. He is the only member of the Eta Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa to claim this hallowed ground as his final resting place.

Acknowledgments We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Mrs. Lucy Emory Ambach, daughter of German H. H. Emory, Jr., and granddaughter of Major Emory, for she provided a great deal of research material as well as published works and photos which were used in the preparation of this story. From the time of the initial telephone conversation through the review of the final draft, she was cordial, patient, and encouraging. In one of the many e-mails exchanged with Mrs. Ambach, she wrote: "As I reread tributes to my grandfather, I think you will be happy to claim him as your fraternity brother." No truer words have been written. Brothers who may wish to write to Mrs. Ambach may address her c/o Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa, 12806 Silverbirch Lane, Laurel, MD 20708 and we will see that your message is forwarded. The alumni association would like to dedicate this article to the memory of Major German H. H. Emory, to Mrs. Lucy Emory Ambach, and to his descendants and members of his extended family, especially Aubrey Emory, granddaughter of Richard W. Emory, Major Emory’s second son and great granddaughter of Major Emory, who assisted with this article. We would also like to dedicate this article to all our veterans: Brothers of Phi Sigma Kappa, family members, and friends, who have served our country in times of war and in times of peace. The sacrifices that our veterans have made are incalculable, and our appreciation for their efforts on our behalf are unwavering.

The World War I Memorial in Baltimore, Maryland.

The Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) is the second highest military decoration that can be awarded to a member of the United States Army, for extreme gallantry and risk of life in actual combat with an armed enemy force. Actions that merit the DSC must be of such a high degree to be above those required for all other U.S. combat decorations. The Distinguished Service Cross is equivalent to the Navy Cross (Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) and the Air Force Cross (Air Force). During World War I, 6,309 awards of the DSC were made to 6,185 recipients. Several dozen Army soldiers, as well as eight Marines and two French Army officers, received two Distinguished Service Crosses. A handful, mostly aviators, were decorated three or more times. Eddie Rickenbacker, the top U.S. ace of the war, was awarded a record eight Distinguished Service Crosses, one of which was later upgraded to the Medal of Honor, while flying with the 94th Aero Squadron. Two recipients of the DSC during World War I went on to earn the Medal of Honor in WW2 – Major Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. of the 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division, son of the former President, and Douglas MacArthur. Other recipients of the DSC in World War I who went on to acclaim in World War II include George S. Patton, Jr. and Carl Spaatz. Winter 2010



To all our Veterans...

Thank You. By these things We stand. Damn Proud, The Executive Committee of the Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa


THIRD DEGREE The Journal of the Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa at the University of Maryland

Our History, and our Future, together in one Award-Winning Alumni Magazine!

Association Magazine

Magazine Copy/Writing

Writing - Feature Article

Magazine - Overall Design

Congratulations to our Association, and sincere thanks The Executive Committee of the for your support of this publication. Eta Alumni Association of Phi Sigma Kappa ...your Alumni Association

Memorial Day  

Special On-Line Issue of "The THIRD DEGREE"

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you