Page 45

ATCC is the premier global biological materials resource and standards organization whose mission focuses on the acquisition, authentication, production, preservation, development, and distribution of standard reference microorganisms, cell lines, and other materials. While maintaining traditional collection materials, ATCC develops high quality products, standards, and services to support scientific research and breakthroughs that improve the health of global populations.

ATCC serves U.S. and international researchers by characterizing cell lines, bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa; developing and evaluating assays and techniques for validating research resources; and preserving and distributing biological materials to global public, private industry, and government research and scientific communities. ATCC activities range widely, from repository-related operations to providing standard and specialized services, conducting in-house R&D, and intellectual property management. ATCC customers include leading researchers and scientists in academia, government, and private industry. Over 80% of ATCC’s customer base represents academia and industry – about 40% each from academia and private industry. Government customers comprise 6% of the organization’s total. Further, 75% of ATCC customers are from the U.S., while the remaining 25% are international. ATCC has a direct sales force in the U.S. and maintains a global network of authorized distributors and partners to reach the scientific community in more than 150 countries Research and Development

ATCC conducts independent research in support of its mission and utilizes the latest technology, to authenticate and develop quality products that drive innovation and standards in science. Its cell biology development efforts focus on delivering more relevant in vitro models and

research tools, such as authenticated and characterized primary cells as well as immortalized, stem, and continuous cell lines; disease and cellular pathway-specific cell line panels with genomic metadata; and assay ready genomic DNA. Services

ATCC leverages its resources and expertise to offer standard and customized services to the scientific community. ATCC’s standard services include: Cell line authentication through STR profiling and mycoplasma contamination testing Safe deposit for the storage of microbes to support U.S. and international patents Cell line biobanks Microbiological and chemical proficiency testing programs for pathogens, indicator organisms, spoilage organisms, normal background flora, and other methods for U.S. food, beverage, animal feed, and pharmaceutical quality control markets Industry and academic institutions can secure custom services from ATCC. The custom services include: Cell and microbial culturing expansion for master cell banks and working cell banks Characterization and quantitation using titering, qPCR, and ddPCR™ technology Development of native and synthetic nucleic acids

Government and Contract Services

ATCC delivers high quality federal government Biorepository Resource Programs. It performs assay and panel development for infectious diseases, including Select Agents, non-pathogenic microbes, and other microbiological materials. ATCC produces and characterizes biodefense and emerging infections organisms and derivatives. It also supplies reagents for testing patient samples to global public health labs and assembles and distributes RT-PCR kits for research and surveillance of influenza virus strains, such as H1N1, H7N9, and H5N1. Collection Holdings

ATCC’s collections include a wide range of biological materials for research, including cell lines, molecular genomics tools, microorganisms, and bioproducts. The organization holds an extensive collection: More than 3,400 continuous cell lines available by species, tissue/disease types, and signaling pathways Tumor cell and molecular panels for cancer research, annotated with gene mutations and molecular profiles Ethnic and gender diverse induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) collections derived from normal/ disease tissues, as well as adult human mesenchymal stem cells and mouse embryonic stem cells Donor diverse normal human primary cells and hTERT immortalized cells Jan-Feb

45

INNOLAB magazine #9.50  
INNOLAB magazine #9.50  
Advertisement