Page 1

Historic Augusta News Volume 37, No. 2

Special Edition

2012 Endangered Properties

The mission of Historic Augusta, Inc., is to preserve historically or architecturally significant structures and sites in Augusta & Richmond County, Georgia.


Neglect is the Theme of 2012 Endangered Properties List By Erick Montgomery, Executive Director, Historic Augusta, Inc. The greatest threat to any building is the passage of time and the

Oswell Eve as the resident caretaker in the beginning. In the 19th

effects of nature. Without human intervention, all buildings will

Century it was owned by the Hamptons, the Whatleys, the Millers

eventually succumb to the elements. Roofs begin to leak, allowing

and the Hickmans, all well known families in this area. Many people

water to trickle inside. Moisture gets into the walls, causing

today remember it as the Goodale Inn, a celebrated restaurant that

structural weakness. Vagrants begin to seek shelter within in order

was located there in the 1970s. Several people have owned it since,

to get themselves out of the elements. Architectural parts can be

some attempting to make improvements, but much of the time it has

sold for ready cash and mantles, light fixtures, cast iron bathtubs

sat vacant and neglected.

and even stair rails are ripped from the walls and floors, and sold for salvage at pennies on the dollar.

On August 5, 2011 the house, which is individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places, experienced a catastrophic

And all this can be prevented. It boils down to human neglect.

failure of it western wall and one chimney. Exactly what caused this

Neglect is not always completely intentional. Sometimes it is

collapse is not certain, but the rest of the house appears to be sound.

caused by poverty. Other times it is caused by having too many heirs

The present owner intends to restore the wall and chimney. But

who cannot agree on what to do with a property. So it sits, vacant,

buildings need a use, with daily upkeep and maintenance. Goodale

neglected. There are situations where a lack of understanding of

needs a new purpose.

symptoms allows issues within a building to go unnoticed until there is a catastrophic failure, even when a building is occupied. Money can solve almost any historic preservation problem.

A building on Broad Street is also on this year’s list. It first glance, it is a typical brick commercial building from the 19th Century, with commercial spaces on the first floor, and living

The challenge is getting a building into the hands of a sympathetic

quarters on the upper floors. But this one may be one of the oldest in

owner while there is still something to preserve, and the cost is

downtown Augusta, and remarkably escaped both fire and periodic

not so prohibitive that no one is willing to invest what it will take

flooding to survive into the 21st Century. Downtown was full of such

to save it. Yet, tax incentives for historic rehabilitation can often

building arrangements in the 19th Century and into the early 20th

make a project work financially, even when something is allowed to

Century, before the automobile tempted most people to move away

significantly deteriorate.

from the downtown area. In fact, the entire 500 block of Broad Street

Historic Augusta’s 2012 Endangered Properties List includes

retains significant historic buildings, but this one is the most intact

five historic buildings in Augusta and Richmond County that have

from the antebellum period. Parts of the block show signs of neglect

suffered from neglect, in various ways, over a long period of time. By

in the midst of vibrancy that has come in recent years.

calling attention to these properties we hope to stimulate action by

Specifically, our

the owners, or potential owners who can cause them to be saved. We

subject building is located

also hope to bring attention to the pervasive problem of neglect of

at 586 Broad Street, one of

historic buildings and whole neighborhoods in Augusta, leading to

three originally identical

the needless demolition of irreplaceable historic resources.

buildings known as “Reid

First on the list is one of the oldest houses in Richmond County,

Range.” Built for Robert

Goodale, also known as the FitzSimons-Hampton House, located

Alexander Reid in the 1820s

at 745 Sand Bar Ferry Road. Here is an example of a historic house

as investment property,

that has suffered years of neglect from a long line of sentimental, well

this is the center building

intentioned owners. The house is a reminder of the earliest days of

in the “range.” To the left is

Augusta’s history when agriculture was the main economic driver.

the Christian Serviceman’s

Goodale was the center of a large plantation, dating back to colonial

Center and to the right is

times when it was originally established by Thomas Goodale. In 1799

«

the house was built by a wealthy Charleston merchant and attorney,

Luigi’s Restaurant, now Reid R ange Building, Broad St. Facade

covered with an aluminum

Christopher FitzSimons, who owned several plantations in South

façade. 586 Broad is in the most original condition of the three,

Carolina and this one in Georgia. FitzSimons never occupied this

but is in need of a sympathetic rehab to save it from irretrievable

house as his main residence, in-fact, installing his brother-in-law,

deterioration. As one of the oldest existing commercial buildings

2 | Endangered Properties Edition

Historic Augusta News


in Augusta, it has special significance both historically and

she became the head of their cosmetology department until her

architecturally. A rare example of Federal design as expressed in

retirement. The house where she lived, first with her mother and

a commercial façade, the building features 9/9 double hung sash

siblings, and later with her husband, was built in about 1898 when

windows on the second floor with fine Federal era lintels still intact.

the street was still known as Gwinnett Street. It is now owned by Eta

Its original cornice is decorated with large dentils, and a single

Theta Zeta Foundation Inc., a local sorority. Their funds are limited,

pedimented dormer is centered on the front slope of the gabled metal

but they hope to turn it into their headquarters and a meeting facility

roof. Cast iron columns and a balcony were added to the façade in the

after it is restored. Although not eminently endangered, long-term

late 19th Century, but are also considered of historical significance,

preservation of

now well past 100 years old. The Reid Family that built the building

the house will

died out long ago in Augusta, but the name is perpetuated in the

only come about

Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church, which was originally built

with adequate

through a bequest of Robert A. Reid.

funding for the

The next property on our 2012 Endangered List is the S. S. Johnson House, located at 1420 Twiggs Street in the Bethlehem

rehabilitation. Coleridge

Historic District. Dr. Scipio S. Johnson was a physician and

at 3596 Windsor

pharmacist in the African-American community for many years,

Springs Road

and worked out of his home in this location. This house was built

near Hephzibah

in the 1920s at the prominent corner of Twiggs Street and Nichols

is the next on our list, and like the Pearson House, is not severely

«

«

Dr. S.S. Johnson House, c. 2008

Coleridge

Lane where

neglected yet, but in need of renewed life to ensure that it does not

9th Street (now

get that way. Built in 1920-21 for Mr. and Mrs. Arthur T. Cole of

James Brown

Chicago as a winter residence, they engaged one of Augusta’s most

Boulevard)

notable architects, Willis Irvin, to design the house. Actually, their

intersects,

original plans called for a much grander mansion, this structure

forming a

being intended for a large garage. But the big house was never built

triangle. A

and this was converted into a seasonal residence for the Coles, where

memorial is now

they came for over 20 years. Designed in the Tudor style, it features

located in the

a hipped and gabled roof with masonry walls finished in half-

triangle honoring

timbering, stucco and rubble stone. Many of the original casement

Dr. Johnson. It was considered a showplace in the Bethlehem

windows have Tudor style diamond patterns on the second floor and

neighborhood, representing the success that had been attained by

are accented with brick lintels and sills. There are three large, wide

some Augustans who only a generation before had been born into

windows on the front with broad segmental arches that likely were

slavery. The large, brick-veneered house remained in Dr. Johnson’s

originally intended as garage door openings. Mr. Cole, a native of

family until recently purchased for redevelopment by the city.

Iowa, was a successful stove manufacturer in Chicago, and married

Shortly thereafter, many items were taken from the house, including

Irene Parker from Edgefield in about 1920. This Georgia home allowed

windows and other architectural elements. Although there are plans

her to be close to family and friends, and the Coles with their children

to restore it through the Urban Redevelopment Agency of Augusta,

spent much of their time here. In 1946 it was sold to the Goloskys, who

time is of the essence, before additional damage is done due to the

are only the second family to have owned the property. Unoccupied,

long-term negligence the house has been subject to in recent decades.

isolated and beginning to show the ravages of time, this rare South

The Luvenia Pearson House, located at 1247 Laney-Walker Boulevard, was the home of Augusta’s foremost African-American

Augusta showpiece needs to be rescued before it loses more of its architectural dignity.

cosmetologist and beauty school operator. In the mid-1930s she

These five buildings constitute Historic Augusta’s 2012

began fixing hair here in her mother’s home when she was still

Endangered Properties List. We hope to find ways to bring about

unmarried. As Miss Luvenia Mears, she soon opened a shop on 12th

the preservation and long-term maintenance of each in the coming

Street, which later became a beauty school. She married a minister,

months. Bringing a focus on these will hopefully inspire Augustans

the Rev. Benjamin F. Pearson, a presiding elder in the Christian

to adopt historic buildings in need of attention before they reach crisis

Methodist Episcopal Church. After Augusta Tech opened in 1968

status. We stand ready to help.

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 3


Goodale · 745 Sand Bar Ferry Road Owner: Privately Owned History and Significance: The storied history of the Goodale house has been thoroughly documented through the years and the house remains alluring to those who pass by along Sand Bar Ferry Road. It was built in 1799 and listed to the National Register of Historic Places as the Fitzsimmons-Hampton-Harris House in 1976. This two-and-a-half story brick Federal style home sits on a raised basement. Although the term “inn” is a misnomer, the tract of land has been known as “Goodale”

Collapsed Wall and Chimney on West Side

«

4 | Endangered Properties Edition

Goodale, South Facade

«

since the establishment of the 500 acre plantation in 1740 by Mr. Thomas Goodale who operated the Sand Bar Ferry across the Savannah River. The plantation was sold in 1799 to Mr. Christopher Fitzsimmons from Charleston, SC, who built the house. He later presented it as a gift to his daughter’s husband, Wade Hampton Jr. The original floor-plan of the house included 10 rooms and a one-and-a-half story addition on the rear of the building was constructed c. 1900. The nomination for the National Register of Historic Places suggests that Goodale is one of the oldest structures in Georgia to survive in a relatively unaltered condition. Although many Augustans remember the “Goodale Inn” Restaurant during the 1970s and 1980s , the building has often sat vacant since the early 1990s and Historic Augusta has previously identified the Goodale as a threatened property. For the past several years, the building has been bought and sold but has yet to be rehabilitated and placed back in service. The recent collapse of the western wall has escalated the need to stabilize the building and determine a preservation plan. Although the location of the building is in an industrial area, its proximity to the Bobby Jones Expressway/I-520 is desirable.

Threat: Vacancy, property surrounded by industrial development; wall has collapsed. Potential Uses: Private residence, commercial offices, restaurant. Preservation Tools: Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places makes this historic property eligible for programs of the National Register, specifically certified historic rehabilitation tax credits at the state and federal levels.

Historic Augusta News


Coleridge · South Augusta

«

Owner: Privately Owned, currently for sale History and Significance: When we think of wealthy northerners who came to Augusta in the early 20th century to build winter residences, the Summerville Coleridge House, Originally Planned as a Garage neighborhood was the location of a number of beautiful cottages that financiers and industrialists built and called home to escape cold winters. For Arthur T. Cole, prominent Chicago resident and president of the “A.T. Cole Manufacturing Company, maker of the Cole Hot Blast Stoves,” his location of choice for building a new southern home in 1921 was not Summerville, but Windsor Spring Road near Tobacco Road in

South Augusta. Cole’s home, which contains eight rooms, and four bedrooms, was designed by architect Willis Irvin. Cole initially planned to build a residence costing $100,000 and a garage at $20,000 to $30,000, all on 2,500 acres of mostly farm land. When the Augusta Chronicle announced the construction of Cole’s home, the writer noted that Cole was living in the garage, which was described as almost itself a “palatial residence,” while the main residence was constructed. But the main house was never built. Cole apparently named his new home “Coleridge” as descriptive of a unique geographic location of the home overlooking a ridge area facing east, which immediately descends into a deep wooded valley. It is interesting that another home had been built across Windsor Springs Road on another ridge, facing west, named “Seclusival” and belonging to the Clark family of the Windsor Spring Water Company. In fact, Cole had purchased property for his home from the Clarks. Cole lived year round with his family at Coleridge for over 20 years, entertaining guests in their very large living room with a massive mantel, while children enjoyed horseback riding and swimming on the estate. Cole sold his residence and property in 1946 to the Walter Golosky family, who renamed the home “Windsor Manor.” As their family residence, the Golosky family maintained Cole’s beautiful home through the years, but recently have decided to relocate and sell both home and property around 2010. It currently sits vacant. Threat: Currently unoccupied and will deteriorate unless maintained. Potential Uses: Single family residence, commercial use or retreat center owing to the building’s secluded location far back from Windsor Spring Road. Preservation Tools: Eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, which if actually listed would make it eligible for all programs of the National Register, including available grant funds and the tax incentives for certified rehabilitations.

«

Coleridge under construction, circa 1921

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 5


Dr. S. S. Johnson House 1420 Twiggs Street

Owner: Augusta Georgia Land Bank Authority History and Significance: Dr. Scipio S. Johnson was a prominent member of Augusta’s African American community and lived at 1420 Twiggs Street from the time of its construction in the 1920s until his death in 1932. Dr. Johnson was a graduate of the Haines Institute, Lincoln University, and Howard University. Dr. Johnson was a pharmacist and for a time operated Johnson Drug Store out of his house located at 1420 Twiggs Street. Dr. Johnson also served on the Board of Directors for the Penny Savings Bank. Johnson Drive in Augusta was named in his honor. The two-story red brick home located on a corner lot is one of the larger homes found in the historic African-American neighborhood known as Bethlehem. The Craftsman-style home has always severed as a residence, and now sits vacant and boarded up. The steeply pitched roof that is a character-defining feature on the front of the house has been overgrown with vines, and the roofing material is beginning to deteriorate. Many of the historic windows have been removed. The rear wooden porch is also deteriorating and needs to be stabilized. One block South, Historic

Augusta has listed the Hornsby House at 1518 Twiggs Street to its 2008 Endangered Properties List. Currently held by the Augusta Georgia Land Bank Authority, the intention is for the house to be rehabilitated as part of the Laney-Walker/Bethlehem Revitalization Project. Historic Augusta hopes it will receive high priority status before it is too late.

«

Johnson House with Entrance to Doctor’s Office on Twiggs Street

Threat: Vacancy, development pressure from surrounding neighborhood, condition continues to deteriorate. Potential Uses: Single family home, income producing residential apartments; commercial office space; community center. Preservation Tools: Contributing historic structure in the Bethlehem Historic District which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, which makes it eligible for all programs of the National Register, including available grant funds and the tax incentives for certified rehabilitations.

«

Johnson House Residential Entrance on Nichols L ane

6 | Endangered Properties Edition

Historic Augusta News


The Pearson House

1247 Laney-Walker Boulevard

Owner: Eta Theta Zeta Foundation Inc. History and Significance: The historic corridor of Laney-Walker Boulevard primarily serves as the commercial hub for the neighborhood. Near the Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History, there is a quaint cottage that dates back to the early 1890s which is a prime example of residential structures found throughout the historic district. Once known as Gwinnett Street, today the address is 1247 Laney-Walker Boulevard. Although in need of some care, this charming home from the late 19th century is reminiscent of the hustle and bustle of Laney-Walker Boulevard which became Augusta’s main street for African-Americans during the days of segregation. The Old Pearson house, as it known today, has seen the decline and the ongoing revitalization of the neighborhood. Long-time resident Mrs. Luvenia Pearson and her husband, Rev. Benjamin Pearson, were the primary occupants since purchasing the

«

home from her mother and they lived there until 2010. Mrs. Pearson’s long career as a cosmetologist in Augusta has made her an endearing figurehead within the AfricanAmerican community. Several articles found in the Augusta Chronicle document her community involvement and ownership of Luvenia’s School of Cosmetology. The property was purchased in 2010 to a local sorority, the Eta Theta Zeta foundation of Paine College. This historically black foundation plans to occupy the Pearson House, but it will be a large financial undertaking. With recent interest in reinvestment and Sanborn M ap for Pearson House revitalization throughout the entire Laney-Walker neighborhood, preservation of the Pearson House will certainly benefit from the energy and excitement. The current condition of the property is good with typical attention needing to be paid to the roof and electrical systems. The Pearson House is a significant historic resource in the upper blocks of Laney-Walker Boulevard and offers an opportunity for Eta Theta Zeta to become active in preserving a piece of African-American history in their own backyard. Threat: Possible development pressure along Laney-Walker Boulevard; lack of financial support for ongoing maintenance. Potential Uses: Private residential home, offices, meeting facility. Preservation Tools: Contributing structure in the Laney-Walker North Historic District which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, which makes it eligible for all programs of the National Register, including available grant funds and the tax incentives for certified rehabilitations.

«

Pearson House on L aney-Walker Boulevard

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 7


Reid Range Building 586 Broad Street «

Balcony, circa 1890s

Owner: Privately Owned History and Significance: 586 Broad is one of three identical buildings that date back to the 1820s which include Luigi’s restaurant and Christian Servicemen’s Center. Thorough deed research has traced the building back to an 1826 division of the estate of David Reid, who died in 1814. The buildings have been of mixed use with a traditional commercial space located on the first floor and residential space on the second and third floor. The Federal-style architectural elements on the exterior of the building are mostly intact including a central dormer window facing Broad Street, a balcony featuring wrought iron railing, and a cast iron storefront. Access to the second and third floor spaces is through a door found to the west of the main commercial space. One of the most interesting features of 586 Broad Street are the numerous interior curved walls, the first found in the

Threat: Second and third floors are unoccupied; downtown development pressures; neglect. Potential Uses: Mixed use; commercial office space; income producing residential apartments.

8 | Endangered Properties Edition

The building has had several additions as you walk through the building towards the back alley which are identified by the change in interior architectural features such as the window molding and paneling on the walls. The 500 block of Broad Street is perhaps the oldest block of buildings in Augusta and sensitive rehabilitation will ensure the stability of the block and encourage further reinvestment for this area of the Augusta Downtown Historic District.

Triple Parlors on the Second Floor

«

«

Reid R ange As It Now Appears

stairwell which gives access to the second floor. The windows span floor to ceiling, casting light onto the hardwood floors which have had several oilcloths laid down over the years. On the second floor there is one set of folding doors and a set of pocket doors are found tucked away into the walls and divide the large living space. To accommodate the curved walls, wooden curved doors are found in corners of the living space.

Preservation Tools: (1) A contributing resource in the Augusta Downtown Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is therefore eligible for all programs of the National Register which include available grant funds and tax

incentives for certified rehabilitations; (2) Located in the Downtown Augusta Historic District which means that any alteration to the exterior, including demolition, should be approved by the Augusta Richmond County Historic Preservation Commission.

Historic Augusta News


When Places Matter: Historic Preservation Can Make the Difference Between Here Today and Gone Tomorrow

By Paul King, Chair of the Historic Properties Committee

2011 Historic Properties Committee Members: Paul King, Chair · Robyn Anderson · Christine Miller-Betts Joe Bowles · Richard Fletcher · Anne Floyd Bryan Haltermann · Tennent Houston · Julia Jackson Erick Montgomery · Anne Catherine Murray The Historic Properties Committee is announcing five new properties for Historic Augusta’s sixth annual Endangered

Properties List. This year the list reflects the ability to use tools

such as the certified historic rehabilitation tax credits to achieve the revitalization of property that have an impact on the surrounding neighborhood. Over the last six years since the Endangered

made a genuine effort to resolve some of the issues that were

The Upper Broad Street Houses

«

Properties List began, the committee members and the staff have preventing properties identified from being rehabbed. Our goal is to ensure their survival for future generations.

Last year, the Georgia Historic Preservation Division

announced a report titled “Good News in Tough Times” prepared by PlaceEconomics in Washington DC. The title of this report sums up the message of preservationists across the state. The 34 page publication concisely affirmed what Historic Augusta has been

diligently advocating through the Endangered Properties Program, our Preservation for Profit workshop, the upcoming This Place

Matters event and the inaugural Old House Fair planned for 2012. Historic Preservation not only preserves the built environment but creates jobs, increases property values, and encourages

investments. PlaceEconomics reports that over the last ten years, in

The Former Augusta-R ichmond County Public Library

«

excess of 700 historic buildings have been rehabilitated using the

state or federal certified rehabilitation tax credit programs. “Good News in Tough Times” states that non-profits play an important

role, particularly in focusing resources where they are needed most for the greatest impact, assisting in stabilizing neighborhoods,

enhancing quality of life, and reaching out to the widest audience to cause limited resources to make the biggest difference. For a copy of this report, you may contact the Georgia Historic Preservation Division or the staff at Historic Augusta.

Reflecting on the last year's Endangered Properties List, there is still much work to be done. The Upper Broad Street Houses located

at 1425, 1427, and 1429 Broad Street remain vulnerable and unsecured. These three c. 1900 houses continue to retain their architectural characteristics, although it is dwindling with each passing day. The Former Augusta-Richmond County Public Library also remains

vacant and with the increased foot traffic of the new library across the street and the promise of preservation at 920 Greene Street, this building would be a significant triumph for the role of preservation and continued downtown revitalization. Weed School, located

in the Sand Hills Historic District, has been the topic of recent discussion with the neighborhood association although no firm plans

have been developed nor a use identified by the group. Historic Augusta is committed to assisting property owners and neighborhood associations with preservation solutions and offers the best use of available resources. The Historic Properties Committee of Historic Augusta continues to have high hopes for the mission and goals of the Endangered Properties program, in preserving all of the properties that have been listed through the years.

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 9


Notable Updates Regarding Previous Endangered Properties AWARDED: Hallock Cottage, 1303 Hickman Road, » owned by Cape Cod Boys, LLC, was awarded a 2011 Georgia Preservation Award by the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. Hallock Cottage is one of the most recent and well-documented success stories of the Endangered Properties program for Historic Augusta. Media interest and coverage has been extensive. In November 2010, Historic Augusta awarded the Hallock Cottage a Preservation Award for the role this sensitive rehabilitation played in promoting the economic feasibility of preservation projects and the impact for the neighborhood. It has recently been sold to an owner occupant with preservation easements to ensure its preservation in perpetuity.

« PROGRESS: The owners

of the Henry-Cohen House, located at 920 Greene Street, will be partnering with Historic Augusta in an effort to sell the historic home through the Revolving Fund program. A recent blog published on PreservationNation, the online homepage of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, chronicled the story of the historic house from its listing on the Endangered Properties List to a stop on this year’s Downtown Loft Tour.

LOST: Lam’s Store located at 1024-1026 D’Antignac Street, » was demolished in May. Historic Augusta staff was able to photographically document the exterior and interior of the building prior to demolition with the assistance from the Augusta-Richmond County Code Enforcement and the Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department. Lam’s Store was a difficult preservation situation due to its association with an unfortunate homicide. Although the building is no longer standing we will not let that deter us from continuing to hold out hope for buildings in dire straits to be rehabilitated and adaptively reused as anchors in their communities. 10 | Endangered Properties Edition

Historic Augusta News


2011

PROGRESS: The Accessory Building at the Appleby Library, following a fresh coat of paint, the future remains bright for this rare outbuilding and Historic Augusta is eager to see it serve the Summerville neighborhood in some capacity.

«

Endangered Property Listing Updates

«

ENDANGERED: Upper Broad Street Houses (1425, 1427, 1429 Broad Street), the three houses and adjacent empty lots have been listed for sale. No further developments at this time, although the location is still prime for the rehabilitation of the buildings to serve as income producing apartment units or offices.

«

ENDANGERED: Former Augusta-Richmond County Public Library, 902 Greene Street, remains vacant and is in need of a new use.

«

ENDANGERED: Weed School, 2403 Mount Auburn Street, there is an effort underway to revitalize the Sand Hills neighborhood but at this time there are no definite plans for reuse of the school.

« ENDANGERED: Kahrs Grocery, 401 Greene Street, remains vacant but appears to be secure at this time.

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 11


2010 Endangered Property Listing Updates « IMMINENTLY ENDANGERED:

Immaculate Conception Academy Campus, 1016 Laney-Walker Boulevard, proposal by Augusta Housing Authority to raze historic buildings for new housing complex. Historic Augusta and other organizations are working with the Housing Authority to incorporate the historic buildings and utilize the certified rehabilitation tax credits for the project.

«

SAVED: Jacob Phinizy House: 529 Greene Street, under new ownership and rehabilitation work is ongoing.

«

ENDANGERED: Lyons-Callaghan House, 808-804 James Brown Boulevard, remains vacant and facing development pressures from redevelopment activity along the Ninth Street Corridor.

« ENDANGERED: Pontiac Master Auto Service Building, 1027 Telfair Street, remains threatened from developmental pressure along Telfair Street.

12 | Endangered Properties Edition

Historic Augusta News


2009

Endangered Property Listing Updates

«

ENDANGERED: C. T. Walker Home, 1011 Laney-Walker Boulevard, residence of Rev. Charles T. Walker, founder of Tabernacle Baptist Church, located near Immaculate Conception Church & Campus, revitalization of the Laney-Walker corridor will hopefully encourage the rehabilitation of this significant landmark.

«

ENDANGERED: 916 Greene Street, located beside the now vacant Augusta Public Library, the property remains vacant and there are no plans for future rehabilitation.

«

SAVED: 901 Reynolds Street, Historic Augusta is pleased to see that the historic warehouse has been incorporated into the TEE Center construction and development.

«

ENDANGERED: Jessamine Hill, 3101 Richmond Hill Road, a perennial favorite since its listing, the house remains vacant and its current status remains uncertain.

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 13


2008

Endangered Property Listing Updates

« PROGRESS: Harrisburg

Neighborhood, a three phased Historic Resources Survey has been completed to document the historic resources of the neighborhood. This tool is essential in providing information to not only Harrisburg citizens but potential investors and homeowners.

SAVED: Red Star/Palace Theatre, 531 James Brown

«

Boulevard, the residential apartments are completed and occupied and currently a tenant is being sought for the front commercial space.

«

ENDANGERED: W. S. Hornsby House, 1518 Twiggs Street, the house remains vacant and its condition continues to deteriorate. It will be featured as part of the This Place Matters event to emphasis the importance of preservation of African-American resources.

« ENDANGERED: Lowrey’s Wagon Works and

Confederate Shoe Factory, 301-303 Ninth Street, remains vacant and in need of a rehabilitation.

14 | Endangered Properties Edition

Historic Augusta News


2007

Endangered Property Listing Updates

PROGRESS: Reynolds Street Depot, Historic Augusta continues to advocate for the depot’s rehabilitation, reuse, and incorporation into downtown revitalization and reinvestment. The city installed a new roof during the past few months. »

«

ENDANGERED: 811 D’Antignac Street, this circa 1870 house continues to deteriorate with easy access by vagrants.

« ENDANGERED: Greene Street Presbyterian Church,

highly visible from the Calhoun Expressway, the church remains for sale and would be eligible for the certified rehabilitation tax credit programs.

ENDANGERED: The Denning House, 905 Seventh Street, located near the third level of the Augusta Canal, this property is ideal for rehabilitation and highly visible along Seventh St. »

Historic Augusta News

Endangered Properties Edition | 15


Address Service Requested

Non-Profit Org. U.S. Postage PAID Augusta, GA Permit #152

P.O. Box 37 Augusta, GA 30903-0037

We’re on the Web! Visit us at: www.HistoricAugusta.org www.WilsonBoyhoodHome.org Contact us: info@historicaugusta.org Find us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

Historic Augusta News is published quarterly by Historic Augusta, Inc., P.O. Box 37, Augusta, Georgia 30903‑0037. Offices are located at 415 Seventh Street. For more information concerning Historic Augusta, the Boyhood Homes of President Woodrow Wilson and Supreme Court Justice Joseph R. Lamar, or historic preservation activities in Augusta‑Richmond County, call Historic Augusta, Inc. Phone: 706-724-0436 Fax: 706-724-3083 Wilson House: 706-722-9828 Contributing Writers: Erick Montgomery, Robyn Anderson, Julia Jackson, Kelley Stroup, Chelsea Hagood, Frances Plunkett, Chad Heard, Garrett Black Designed by: Lindsay Jacobs of Kruhu, Inc.

Save the Date This Place Matters: Preserving Augusta's African American Communities October 28th & 29th The Inaugural Old House Fair March 3rd, 2012 For more information, visit our website: www.historicaugusta.org

Front Cover : The poster child for Historic Augusta’s 2012 Endangered Properties List is Goodale, located at 745 Sand Bar Ferry Road. Long under-utilized, this National Register listed house experienced a major structural failure on August 5 when part of the west wall and a chimney collapsed.

Historic Augusta News  

Special Issue: 2012 Endangered Properties

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you