2017 Annual Report
STABILITY Future HEALTH
contents By the Numbers ...................... 4 Families........................................ 6 Volunteers .................................. 8 Financials................................. 14 Donors ........................................ 16 PHOTOS BY Andrew Donilon, Flashpoint Photography & White Starfish Photography.
2017 BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESIDENT
Bret Hooper VICE PRESIDENT
Amanda Precourt VICE PRESIDENT
Tim LyBarger EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
John Welaj MEMBERS
Kathy Chandler- Henry Lisa Dennis Terry Halverson
Laureen Hopkins Meredith Kennedy Dick Michaux Kevin Oâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Donnell Pete Thompson Kristin Kenney Williams BOARD EMIRITUS Dick Bourret Clyde Hanks Rick Mueller Mack Nichols Ruth Powers Barbara Scrivens Bud Wonsiewicz IN MEMORIAM BOARD MEMBER
AMBASSADORS Andy Beck Ron & Patti Brave Matt Dietz Jim & Cookie Flaum Michael Glass Dan Godec Ned Gwathmey Tommy Gregg Tom & Joan Harned Tom Healey Kara Heide Ron & Kathy Iverson Arthur Kelton, Jr. Jill Klosterman Judy Kosloff Jay & Gail Mahoney Susan Milhoan Bob Moroney Rick Pylman Anne Redden Bob Rulon
Dear Friends, Thank you for making 2017 yet another remarkable year for Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley! The pages of this report include highlights and serve as a reminder that our mission remains as relevant and critical as ever. In Eagle County, the need for permanent affordable housing continues to grow. Last year, Habitat received ten applications for every one home that we built. Now, more than ever, we must work in new and innovative ways to make homeownership a reality for more local families. In addition, fundraising is critical to meet the growing need. We’re in the third year of a $2.5 million campaign to complete the 40-home neighborhood at Stratton Flats in Gypsum. I’m happy to report that the final homes are under construction and to date we’ve achieved 90% of our goal. Pease consider a gift to put us over the top! Lastly, we’re implementing our 2018-2021 Strategic Plan. Our Board of Directors and staff have undergone an extensive process to identify, streamline and prioritize our efforts. Habitat for Humanity of Colorado has also been a valuable resource. I look forward to sharing the plan with many of you in the upcoming months. Together, we will build a community that we’re proud to call home!
My Best Regards,
John Welaj EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
2017 by the numbers 13
children & their families moved into new, safe and affordable homes.
in labor costs were saved thanks to volunteers.
ReStore donations were dropped-off or picked-up in 2017.
sweat equity hours of labor were completed by Habitat homeowners building their homes and the homes of their neighbors.
hours of volunteer labor were completed by AmeriCorps members at our build site.
volunteers lent a hand on our build site, in our office or at the ReStore.
hours of time were contributed by volunteers in 2017. Thatâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s the equivalent of 8 full-time employees.
gross annual sales at the Habitat ReStore. HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
families SALVADOR DELOERA Habitat partners with parents seeking better futures for their children. Prior to moving into their Habitat home, Salvador (Salvi) and his family lived in an overcrowded apartment for 10 years. In 2015, Salvi’s family was selected for Habitat homeownership. While helping his family complete their sweat equity hours, Salvi was inspired to be a big boss, like Habitat’s Construction Director, Cal. In May, Salvi graduated from Eagle Valley High School and over the summer he’ll work a paid internship at an architecture firm. Salvi will attend college this fall and plans to get a degree in engineering or architecture. Growing up in a Habitat home provided the foundation that Salvi needed to thrive. In a few years he will realize his dream to be a construction boss, just like Cal.
RUDY TREVIZO You never forget the home that you grow up in – and in Rudy Trevizo’s case, it was a three-bedroom Habitat for Humanity home on 3rd Street in Eagle. Fifteen years ago, Rudy was a teenager helping his single mother, Frances, build their new home. In 2015, Rudy’s dream to own his own business came true when he started Green Sky Insulation. Now, coming full circle with Habitat, Rudy was hired to insulate Habitat’s newest homes. In 2017, his business completed all of the work, at cost. This year, he donated all of the labor and materials! Rudy is proud that he now has the ability to do his part to see that more kids have a brighter future. “I’m on the other side now, doing work for future Habitat homeowners that are seeking better opportunities in life,” said Trevizo. “We all feel better when we do something for someone else. It brings us closer together as a community, and makes us better people.” HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
volunteers COLLEGIATE CHALLENGE In March, more than 20 students from North Dakota State University and Western Michigan University spent their spring breaks building alongside Habitatâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s homeowners.
HABITAT AMERICORPS AmeriCorps members play a valuable role in increasing Habitat’s capacity to serve more local families. Luke, an AmeriCorps Construction Crew member, led volunteer groups at the jobsite and Corey, an AmeriCorps VISTA, overhauled Habitat’s administrative systems and databases.
NATIONAL CIVILIAN COMMUNITY CORPS More than 25 volunteers, from across the country, spent 12 weeks in the spring and six weeks in the fall building at the jobsite and facilitating several large ReStore donations. The teams provided much needed support at times when local volunteers are typically in short supply. HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
volunteers DIVA DAYS Girls play house, women build them! In July and October, dozens of women volunteers participated in two Diva Days at the Stratton Flats build site. Thrivent Financial provided financial and volunteer support for both events.
WEDNESDAY REGULARS The Wednesday Regulars volunteer group is a huge asset to Habitatâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s construction program. Week after week, year after year, these highly skilled volunteers bring a wealth of personal experience and expert knowledge of construction trades to Habitatâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s jobsite.
THANK YOU FOR BUILDING WITH US IN 2017 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Alpine Bank Arrowhead Alpine Club Austria Haus Beaver Creek Resort Company Beck Building Company Ceres Landcare Colorado Mountain College Community Banks of Colorado DoubleTree by Hilton Vail Eagle County Government Eagle County Justice Center Eagle County School District Eagle River Presbyterian Church Eagle Valley High School FirstBank Four Seasons Resort Vail Gallegos Corporation Gypsum Recreation Center LIV Sotheby’s International Realty North Dakota State University
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort & Spa RA Nelson Red Canyon High School Republic National Distributing Company Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch RV Care-A-Vanners Singletree Community Members St. Mary’s Catholic Church Upward Bound Program U.S. Bank Vail/Beaver Creek Resort Properties Vail Board of REALTORS® Vail Marriott Mountain Resort Vail Mountain Dining Vail Mountain Marketing Vail Mountain Operations Vail Mountain Product Sales & Services Vail Mountain Ski Patrol Vail Mountain The 10th Restaurant Vail Mountain School Vail Valley Partnership Vail Valley Young Professionals Association Wells Fargo Bank Western Michigan University White Horse Solutions HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
UNIQUE DONATION TO HABITAT RESTORE JULY 2017 – A local couple, Joan & Robert Willoughby,
inspired by former President Jimmy Carter’s long-term commitment to Habitat, donated a truck and camper to the Habitat ReStore. They valued their donation at $10,200. “I can’t pound nails anymore like President Carter,” said Willoughby. “However, I can donate this to the ReStore.” In less than two months, the camper and truck were sold to Flip & Beth Robinson from Indiana. All proceeds from the ReStore support Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley’s local homebuilding efforts.
RESTORE POP-UP SHOP SUCCESS NOVEMBER 2017 – Due to large donations received from
Concerted Care Group and Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Habitat ReStore opened a pop-up location in Edwards. The temporary store sold commercial kitchen equipment, couches, dressers, linens, artwork and more. Only open for eight business days, the pop-up shop processed 325 transactions for total sales of $20,180. The commercial space for the store was generously donated by Rick & Rita Mueller.
13% MORTGAGE DISCOUNT AMORTIZATION
SALE TO HOMEOWNERS
CONTRIBUTIONS & GRANTS
2017 REVENUE Individuals & Businesses
2017 EXPENSES $534,071
Habitat Mission / Programs
Management & General
Sale to Homeowners
donors GIFTS OF $100,000 & ABOVE • Eagle County • Warren & Mary Lynn Staley GIFTS OF $50,000 TO $99,000 • Fox Hollow, LLC • Jim & Mary Hagen • Vail Resorts Epic Promise GIFTS OF $25,000 TO $49,000 • A-Phase Electric • Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka • Bob & Valerie Gwyn • HFHC WeBuild Program • Jim & Janet Stanard • Thrivent Financial • Wear Travers Perkins LLC GIFTS OF $10,000 TO $24,999 • Ali & Aaron Creative • Alpine Lumber • American Gypsum
• Bob & Sue Baker • Lisa Dennis • Forrest C. and Frances H. Lattner Foundation • GAF • Green Sky Insulation • Stuart & Becka Green • Jim & Kathy Haymaker • Peter R. & Cynthia K. Kellogg Foundation • Marusi Family Foundation • Dick & Ginny Michaux • NDG Architecture • Mack & Nancy Nichols • Precourt Foundation • Reichert Foundation • Donald & Nancy Remey • The Roofing Company • US Bancorp Foundation • Wells Fargo Bank • Pat & Carol Welsh • Whirlpool GIFTS OF $5,000 TO $9,999 • ANB Bank • Anderson Structural Engineering
• Bank of America Charitable Foundation • Bauerle and Company, P.C. • Colorado Association of Realtors • Peggy and Steve Fossett Foundation • The Fraser Family Charitable Fund • Kitty George • Mike & Margie Hamrick • Patrick & Debbie Horvath • Jon & Aimee Kinning • Rollie Kjesbo • Mark Lestikow • Peak Surveying • RA Nelson • RK Foundation • Hap & Brooke Stein • Jon & Nancy Tellor • Peter & Christine Thompson • United Way of Eagle River Valley • U.S. Bank • Vail Board of Realtors • Vail Tax & Accounting, Inc. • Vail Valley Surgery Center • Kyle & Barbara Vann • Bud & Marie Wonsiewicz
GIFTS OF $2,500 TO $4,999 • Alpine Bank • Auberge Holdings Co., LLC • Greg & Jenny Baldwin • Beck Building Company • Lin Bercher • BluSky • Brush Creek Landscaping • Richard Burmood • Robert Croteau & Karen Nold • Doug DeChant • Donaldson Juergens and Associates • FirstBank • Gallegos Corporation • Habitat for Humanity of Colorado • Tom & Joan Harned • Rick Hayes • Dale Heims • Drew Hollenbeck • Laureen Hopkins • Bob & Aubyn Howe • Chris Juergens • Kevin Kuebert • Dirk Meyer • Mike & Haley Pearson • Plantivity
• Ruggs Benedict • Michele Ryan • Select Surfaces • Shaeffer Hyde Construction Company • Slifer Smith & Frampton Foundation • Rhonda Swenson • John Welaj & Gina Jelacic GIFTS OF $1,000 TO $2,499 • Nicky Asselin • Hugh Bernardi • Borne Consulting • Dick & Vicki Bourret • Bill & Donna Caynoski • Anne Collins • Comerford Insurance Agency, Inc. • Denielle Danielson • Alisa DeMartino • Wendy DiVenere • Mark Donaldson • Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration • Dana Erickson • Gordon Family Affiliated Fund • Tom & Jane Healy
• K. H. Webb Architects, PC • Jeffrey & Meredith Kennedy • Land Title Guarantee Company • Judy LaSpada • Tim & Mary Ann LyBarger • Becky Maddox • Chuck Miller • Kevin O’Donnell • Phil & Mandy Paolilli • Karen Perez • Tom & Ruth Powers • Koger Probst • RDM Excavating • Gary & Terie Roubos • Leslie Roubos • Michael Routh • Orville & Patti Sherrod • Slifer Designs • Gregory & Molly Sparhawk • SRE Building Associates • Donald & Susan Sturm • Mike & Tarrah Suman • Neill & Nancy Taylor • Title Company of the Rockies • Eric & Chally Wiener • Yarnell Consulting & Civil Design HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
thank you GIFTS OF $500 TO $999 • Larry & Sandra Agneberg • James C. Allen • Hans & Alix Berglund • Manuel & Cindy Bernardo • Dave & Andie Bombard • Bob Boselli & Erin O’Neil Boselli • Cindy Callicrate • David & Katie Campbell • Edward & Beda Collins • Stan & Mary Ellen Cope • Kyle & Nicole Denton • Christine Ford • Marty & Melanie Frank • Patricia French • Zane Gearhart • Mike & Andrea Glass • Bridget Grimaldi • Hank & Anne Gutman • Michael & Emma Halpert • Bret & Christina Hooper • Mike & Emily Kearl • Arthur & Elaine Kelton
• Jim & Patty Kemp • Joanne Kemp • George MacDonald • Dan & Sara McNeil • Bob Moroney • John & Anita O’Connell • Our Community Foundation • Performance Automotive Center • Greg & Elizabeth Perkins • Charles & Margaret Rosenquist • Justin Santa Ana • Rodney & Cristie Schlosser • Brian & Elizabeth Sipes • Vail Valley Jet Center • Deanna Wassom • Dan & Monica White • David & Kristin Williams GIFTS OF $100 TO $499 • Rick Agett • Dennis Anderson • Natalie Andl • Guy Ayrault & Sally Jackle • Laurie Baker • Pam Barker • Joseph & Tracey Baumgardner
• Roger & Margo Behler • Barbara Behrendt • Kathryn Benysh • Christopher Bibbo • J Elbert Bivins, IV • Kirk & Allie Blaine • Gary & Gretta Blamire • Boettcher Foundation • Alice Boone • Marie Booren • Travis Bossow • Tom & Renee Boyd • Martha Brassel • Darcy Brinkerhoff • Ben Broder & Nancy Jones-Broder • Brenda Buglione-Kirkwood • Amy Casey • Molly Casey • Joel Cervantes • Rebecca Clark • Dick Cleveland & Kathy Langenwalter • Scott & Janie Cliver • Beth Cochran • David & Lisa Coffey • Kathy Cole
• John Corbin • Bill & Kim Cox • Meg Davis • Gail Day • Kathy Dee • Spencer Denison & Kara Horner • Andrew Donilon • Sarah Dorman • Andre & Kim Durand • Stan Eaton • Anne Esson • Carol H. Fabian • Tali Fagenblat • Matt Fitzgerald • Michele Frost • Phillip Gallegos • Dan & Sue Godec • Cassie Gray • Thomas Gregg • Dick Gretz & Doris Dewton • Todd Grubin • Carla Guarascio • Topper & Bobbie Hagerman • Terry & Tina Halverson • Clyde Hanks • Jake & Stephanie Henry
• Gary & Julie Herr • Anne Hintz • Sophie Hoffmann • Jeff & Greta Holtz • Donald Holzworth • Steve & Jen Hooker • Jeff & Brenda Howard • Taggart & Elyse Howard • Louise Ingalls • Jay & Judy Inglis • Steve & Leslie Isom • Michael & Twila Jenkins • Elizabeth Keay • Eric Knapp • Dean Koll • Richard & Bobbie Kristinik • Aspen Kron • Larry Kunkle • Dan & Elizabeth Lambert • Corey Lamothe • Bettan Laughlin • Donald & Marian Laughlin • Steve Lindstrom & Margaret Forken • Loaded Joes • Jeffrey S. Luedke • Karen Lupis
• Burt Merical • Susan Milhoan • Skylar & Monica Mitchell • Joe & Susan Morrill • Larry & Dawn Mullin • Jean Naumann • Alan Nazzaro • David Nelson • Leah O’Brien • Adam & Kalie Palmer • Richard Patriacca • Kent & Martha Petrie • Patti Peyton • Michael Phillips • Lino Piedra & Kathryn Griesinger • Jim Potter • Rick & Cricket Pylman • Brian & Carolyn Reihe • Margaret Ristow • Tim & Nancy Robbins • Scott & Anna Robinson • Mercedes Ross • Chris & Adrienne Rowberry • Erik Sale • Ray & Jennifer Sallee • Ian Salyer HABITATVAILVALLEY.ORG
thank you GIFTS OF $100 TO $499 • Chris & Marina Scanlan • Ken & Lisa Schanzer • Jill Schreiner • Schwab Charitable Giving • Lois Schwager • Mike & Barbara Scrivens • Steven Seyffert • Benno & Kristi Scheidegger • Simplifile • Garrett & Betty Jean Smith • Bill & Karen Snare • Bill Snoke • Darin Snow • Richard & Catherine Stamp • Elena Tafoya • Tom & Lynda Tasillo • Carrie Tedstrom • Trevor Theelke • London & Jennifer Thompson • Chad & Lindsey Thomson • Chuck & Kim Toms • Bev Trout
• Linda Turley • Lauren Walton • Bob & Jill Warner • Julie Weihaupt • Jennifer Weintraub • Patty White • Pat Whitehurst & Anna Peyton • Jim Wiley & Patty Young • James & Olga Wilkins • Andre Willner • Rob & Barb Wilson • Deborah G. Wittman • Mike Wodlinger • Karen Wojtko CONSTRUCTION & MATERIAL DONATIONS • Aleman Concrete • Alpine Glass & Mirror • Big Sky Insulation, Inc. • Bill Fisher Painting • Casey Concrete • Colorado Roofing Association • Cree • Crossville Studios • Dahl
• DOW • Front Range Foundations • HI Cranes • Holy Cross Energy • Home Depot • HP Kumar • Hunter Douglas • JDL Plumbing • Lambert Tile & Stone • Lowe’s • Maverick Flooring • Network Interior Group • O’Cedar • Schneider Electric/Square D • The Town of Gypsum • Valspar • Wylaco • Yale RESTORE DONATIONS • Alpine Bank • ANB Bank • AW Builders • Beaver Creek One • Beck Building Company • Burke Harrington Construction
• Concerted Care Group • Contract One • Costco • Cuccia Construction • Dahl • Decorative Materials • Edwards Building Center • Evans Chaffee Construction Group • FirstBank • Gallegos Corporation • Gillette LLC Construction • Home Outfitters • Hyatt Mountain Lodge • Hyatt Residence Club at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek • JL Viele Construction • Laureen Hopkins Interior Design • LIV Sotheby’s International Realty • Lodge at Lionshead • Napa Auto Parts – Eagle • Nedbo Construction • Northside Grab & Go • Pacific West Construction • Patti Dixon Design • RA Nelson • Rick & Rita Mueller
• Ridgeline Builders • Rocky Mountain Construction • Ruggs Benedict • Shaeffer Hyde Construction • Slifer Designs • Slifer Smith & Frampton Real Estate • SRE Builders • St. James Place Beaver Creek • Starbucks • Stor-N-Lock Self Storage • The Inn at Riverwalk • The Lodge at Vail • The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Vail • The Sebastian – Vail • Ulf & Associates • Vail Board of REALTORS® • Vail Custom Builders • Vail Daily • Worth Interiors The donor list represents gifts received between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this list. If we have made an error, please accept our apology and let us know so we can correct it.
P.O. Box 4149, Avon, CO 81620 970.748.6718 | HabitatVailValley.org
Habitat Vail Valley ReStore 970.328.1119 | RestoreVailValley.org