2016 annual report
comes from a place of safety and security that only a home can bring.
contents Year in Review ......................... 2 By the Numbers ...................... 4 Habitat in Vietnam ............... 12 Donors ........................................ 16
PHOTOS BY ANDREW DONILON & FLASHPOINT PHOTOGRAPHY. 1
year in review
EPIC PROMISE BUILD WEEK In October, Habitat hosted Epic Promise Build Week with Vail Resorts, which resulted in 645 volunteer hours by 95 individuals in just 5 days.
1 COMMUNITY BUILD WEEK In August, Habitat hosted its inaugural Community Build Week. The seven-day event was created to challenge local businesses and individuals to volunteer at least one day to help build affordable housing in our community.
AFFILIATE OF DISTINCTION In December, Habitat Vail Valley was one of only 23 organizations in the U.S. to be recognized by Habitat International as an “Affiliate of Distinction.” The program honors Habitat affiliates who have demonstrated excellence by meeting or exceeding best practices. Habitat Vail Valley is the only “small” affiliate in the entire country to receive this recognition.
In September, Habitat partnered with the Town of Gypsum and KaBoom! to build a new playground in the Stratton Flats neighborhood. 150 volunteers participated in the one-day blitz event.
by the numbers
My home means a new beginning and a brighter future. My son and I now have a stable home, not just a house, a future together in a place where we donâ€™t have to move once or twice a year. It means ownership, satisfaction and pride.â€? LAURA GONZALEZ, HABITAT VAIL VALLEY HOMEOWNER IN GYPSUM
homes sold to seven families.
children & their families moved into new homes.
sweat equity hours of labor our homeowners completed building their homes and the homes of their neighbors.
$296,460 in labor costs were saved thanks to volunteers.
14,823 hours of time
volunteers contributed in 2016. Thatâ€™s the equivalent of 7 full-time employees.
volunteers lent a hand on our build site, in our office or at the ReStore.
MARK SHARP, HABITAT VAIL VALLEY VOLUNTEER
by the numbers
Working with the Habitat families every month is what I love most about my time volunteering. Each completed task is getting a hardworking family one step closer to having a place they can proudly call home.â€?
In the beginning it was hard for me to be confident with my ability to teach someone something about building that I had only just learned. The comfortability with this task only came with time and effort, but I was determined to give our volunteers the best time possible. I have evolved into a very confident, charismatic leader and many volunteers have expressed that they have learned a lot, and had fun, while working with me.â€? MAKENZIE CUDNOHUSKY, AMERICORPS CONSTRUCTION CREW LEADER (2015-2016)
makes a difference.
hours of volunteer labor AmeriCorps members contributed at our build site.
Habitat Vail Valley homes were built in Gypsumâ€™s Stratton Flats neighborhood from 2012 to 2016.
by the numbers
AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leaders
Volunteering at the Habitat ReStore is a fulfilling experience. It has given me a chance to meet and make new friends and contribute to our community.â€? BECKY MORGAN, HABITAT RESTORE VOLUNTEER SINCE 2010
by the numbers
volunteer hours at the Habitat ReStore. Cars & Coffee
sales at the Habitat ReStore.
ReStore donation pick-ups in 2016.
$425,300 gross annual
VIETNAM BUILD TRIP
—ANDREW DONILON, HABITAT VAIL VALLEY VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR
“Eight Eagle County residents joined 200 volunteers from around the world for a Global Village Build Trip to Vietnam. Throughout the course of five days, 20 homes were built in a small rice farming village with Vietnamese families, many of whom suffered from disabilities or other hardships in their lives. The Vietnamese people I met were some of the friendliest, welcoming, hard-working individuals I had ever encountered. The local Vietnamese construction crew motivated us with their relentless work ethic. The family who would be moving into the house fueled us with fresh fruit, green tea and smiles of appreciation. Throughout the week our group shared many smiles, laughs, hugs and tears of joy with the Vietnamese locals. Despite our different languages, culture, experiences and countries’ histories we were able to find common ground with each other as people. We connected over the fundamental need for all families — to have a safe shelter to call home.”
CONTRIBUTIONS & GRANTS
SALE TO HOMEOWNERS
2016 REVENUE Individuals & Businesses
2016 EXPENSES $461,583
Habitat Mission / Programs
Sale to Homeowners
Management & General
donors GIFTS OF $100,000 & ABOVE • Warren & Mary Lynn Staley GIFTS OF $50,000 TO $99,000 • Colorado Division of Housing • Jim & Mary Hagen • Vail Resorts Epic Promise GIFTS OF $25,000 TO $49,000 • Lisa Dennis • Bob & Valerie Gwyn • HFHC WeBuild Program • Peter R. & Cynthia K. Kellogg Foundation GIFTS OF $10,000 TO $24,999 • Active Energies • Ali & Aaron Creative • American Gypsum • Andersen Windows • Bob & Sue Baker • Eagle County
• El Pomar Foundation • Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka • GAF • Jim & Kathy Haymaker • Marusi Family Foundation • Dick & Ginny Michaux • Neal & Amanda Moszkowski • NDG Architecture • Mack & Nancy Nichols • Precourt Foundation • Reichert Foundation • Donald & Nancy Remey • Ramez & Tiziana Sousou • The Roofing Company • Thrivent Financial • United Way of Eagle River Valley • James & Lisa Wallace • Wear Travers Perkins LLC • Wells Fargo Foundation • Pat & Carol Welsh • Whirlpool GIFTS OF $5,000 TO $9,999 • Alpine Lumber • ANB Bank • Bauerle and Company, P.C.
• Anne Collins • Ewing Trucking & Construction • Peggy & Steve Fossett Foundation • Stuart & Becka Green • John & Vera Hathaway • Holy Cross Energy • Home Depot Foundation • Patrick & Debbie Horvath • Rob & Cheryl McEwen • Rick & Rita Mueller • Scott & Paulina Proper • R.A. Nelson • RDM Excavation • RK Mechanical • Schneider Electric/Square D • Hap & Brooke Stein • Jon & Nancy Tellor • Town of Gypsum • US Bank Foundation • Vail Board of Realtors • Vail Tax & Accounting • Valspar • Bud & Marie Wonsiewicz GIFTS OF $2,500 TO $4,999 • Alpine Bank
• Bearcat Stables • Beck Building Company • Clif Chester • Russ Coburn & Catherine JonesCoburn • Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration • Gallegos Corporation • James Giltner • Yvonne Jacobs • Sonja Lee • Elsa McCulloh McTavish • Michele Ryan • Select Surfaces • Slifer Smith & Frampton Foundation • Stone Concepts • Wells Fargo Bank
• Tim Swift • Neill & Nancy Taylor • Caitlin Weis • John Welaj & Gina Jelacic • Dave & Kristin Williams GIFTS OF $500 TO $999 • Tony Borg & Cheryl Clayton • Bob Boselli & Erin O’Neil Boselli • Nick & Pamela Brooks • Michael & Taylor Brownlee • Cindy Callicrate • Central Rockies Mortgage Corp. • Kathy Chandler-Henry • Brady Cook • Stan & Mary Ellen Cope • Causey & Howard • Ernie & Pam Elsner • David Gold • Hank & Anne Gutman • Cheryl Holman • Bret & Christina Hooper • Chip Howard • Hunter Benefits Consulting Group • Judy LaSpada • Sean & Ingrid McGinley
GIFTS OF $1,000 TO $2,499 • Millie Aldrich • Barbie Allen • Dave & Diane Argo • Colorado Business Bank • Comerford Insurance Agency • Community Banks of Colorado • Alisa DeMartino • Sharon Dennis
• Buck & Holly Elliott • Greg Eynon & Emily Peyton • Kevin & Trish French • Dan & Sue Godec • Terry & Tina Halverson • Tom & Joan Harned • Tom & Jane Healy • Laureen Hopkins • K. H. Webb Architects P.C. • Arthur & Elaine Kelton • Jeff & Meredith Kennedy • Jon & Aimee Kinning • Alan & Judy Kosloff • Land Title Guarantee Company • Merv Lapin • Jack & Leslie Manes • Meadow Mountain Homes • Bob Moroney • David Nelson • Greg & Elizabeth Perkins • Tom & Ruth Powers • Gary & Terie Roubos • Ruggs Benedict • Gavin Selway • John & Nancy Snyder • Mike & Tarrah Suman
thank you GIFTS OF $500 TO $999 (CONT.) • Eric & Belinda Monson • Jim & Becky Morgan • John & Anita O’Connell • Karen Perez • Michelle Pitner • Andy & Diana Repasky • Susan Briere Shafer • Bill & Karen Snare • SRE Building Associates • Kyle St. Charles • William Sterett • Drew & Shawna Wachter • Michael Ziering GIFTS OF $100 TO $499 • Larry & Sandra Agneberg • Anonymous • Doris Bailey • Pam Barker • Gregory Bartock • Roger & Margo Behler • Krista Behr
• Peter & Barbara Behrendt • Carolyn Packard Bell • Mandy Benedict • Kathryn Benysh • Lin Bercher • Tim & Jen Bettenhausen • Big Sky R-Control • BluSky Restoration • Adriana Bombard • Marie Booren • Travis Bossow • Ben Broder & Nancy Jones-Broder • Mike Brown • Larry Cavanaugh • Jim & Lynn Chapin • EB & Kay Chester • Dick Cleveland & Kathy Langenwalter • Club Z In-Home Tutoring Services • Craig & Diane Colby • Jason Cole • Kathy Cole • Bill & Kim Cox • Gail Day • Allison Decent • Kathy Dee
• Spencer Denison & Kara Horner • Tina DeWitt • Lauren H. Dickie • Ralph & Cathy Dockery • Pat Doherty • Andrew Donilon • Jackie & Michael Dority • Michelle Dunn • Eagle River Presbyterian Church • Stan Eaton • Tali Fagenblat • David Floyd • Phillip Gallegos • Rick Geddes • Donna Giordano • Mike & Andrea Glass • Gregg & Co. Builders, Inc. • Lin & Betty Grubbs • Todd Grubin • Topper & Bobbie Hagerman • Clyde Hanks • Karolyn Jo Harper • John & Jill Harrison • Michelle Hayes • Rik Heid • Tyler Heins
• Sarah Salomon • Jill Schreiner • Lois Schwager • Mark Segna • Shaeffer Hyde Construction Company • Rod & Beth Slifer • Garrett & Betty Jean Smith • Darin Snow • Michael Staughton • John & Tara Stelzriede • Tricia Swenson • The Bookworm • Peggy Thompson • Rick & Deb Travers • Vail Valley Partnership • Andy & Jules Wallace • Tom & Susan Washing • Roberta Wentworth • Pat Whitehurst & Anna Peyton • Jim Wiley & Patty Young • James & Olga Wilkins • Andre Willner • Rob & Barb Wilson • Fred Winslow & Sharon Adair • Mike Wodlinger
• Joe Menendez • Susan Milhoan • Joe & Susan Morrill • Sandy Nachman • Jean Naumann • Alan Nazzaro • Andrea Ohde • Our Community Foundation • Hugh & Angela Overy • Bart Peaslee • Janet Perdzock • Jeff Peterson • Josh & Kelly Pointer • Jim Potter • Stephanie Pulkrabek • Rick & Cricket Pylman • Brian & Carolyn Reihe • Dan Reynolds • Deryck Richards • Maureen Riordan • Margaret Ristow • Nancy Robbins • Tim & Nancy Robbins • Leslie Roubos • Chris & Adrienne Rowberry • Erik Sale
• Rebecca Hernreich • Gary & Julie Herr • Anne Hintz • Louise Ingalls • Steve & Leslie Isom • Thomas Jaffe • Paul & Rivers Jardis • Sarah Jardis • Michael & Twila Jenkins • Alexia Jurschak • Tom & Julie Kapala • Elizabeth Keay • Jim & Patty Kemp • Joanne Kemp • Dean Koll • Lambert Tile & Stone • Mary Larson • Betsy Laughlin • Don & Marian Laughlin • Bradley Leach • James Lilja • Steve Lindstrom & Margaret Forken • Molly McCabe • Kate McKay • Lauren McVey • Sherri Meaux
thank you CONSTRUCTION & MATERIAL DONATIONS • Alan-Bradley Windows and Doors • Aleman Concrete • Alpine Glass & Mirror • Anderson Structural Engineering Inc. • A-Phase Electric • Beck Building Company • Big Sky Insulation, Inc. • Bill Fisher Painting • Borne Consulting • Casey Concrete • Colorado Countertops • Colorado Roofing Association • Cree • Crossville Studios • Dahl • DOW • Front Range Foundations • Green Sky Insulation • HI Cranes • Holy Cross Energy
• Home Depot • HP Kumar • Hubbell-Wiring Device • Hunter Douglas • JDL Plumbing • Lambert Tile & Stone • Lowe’s • Maverick Flooring • Network Interior Group • Peak Surveying • Rocky Mountain Reprographics • Vail Honeywagon • Wylaco Supply Company • Yale RESTORE DONATIONS • Alpine Bank • Alpine Store & Lock • ANB Bank • Arrabelle at Vail Square • Arrowhead Alpine Club • Austria Haus • Bachelor Gulch Club • Beck Building Company • Contract One
• Costco • Dahl Plumbing • Decorative Materials • Edwards Building Center • Evans Chaffee Construction Group • Gallegos Corporation • Home Depot • Home Outfitters • Hyatt Mountain Lodge • JL Viele Construction • Laureen Hopkins Interior Design • Lodge at Lionshead • Lodge at Vail • Manor Vail • Napa Auto Parts - Eagle • Nedbo Construction • Nest Furnishings • Northside Grab & Go • Patti Dixon Design • Pines Lodge • RA Nelson • Red Canyon Café • Ridge Line Builders • Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch • Ritz Carlton Residences Vail
Dick Michaux Kevin O’Donnell Kristin Kenney Williams
Dick Bourret Clyde Hanks Rick Mueller Mack Nichols Ruth Powers Barbara Scrivens Bud Wonsiewicz
Amanda Precourt VICE PRESIDENT
Tim LyBarger EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
John Welaj MEMBERS
Kathy ChandlerHenry Lisa Dennis Terry Halverson Laureen Hopkins Meredith Kennedy
IN MEMORIAM BOARD MEMBER
AMBASSADORS Andy Beck Ron & Patti Brave Chad Cusworth Matt Dietz
Jim & Cookie Flaum Michael Glass Dan Godec Tommy Gregg Ned Gwathmey Tom & Joan Harned Tom Healey Kara Heide Rick Hermes Ron & Kathy Iverson Arthur Kelton, Jr. Jill Klosterman Judy Kosloff Jay & Gail Mahoney Susan Milhoan Bob Moroney Rick Pylman Bob Rulon Rod & Beth Slifer Jens Werner
The donor list represents gifts received between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this list. If we have made an error, please accept our apology and let us know so we can correct it.
2016 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• Ruggs Benedict • Sage Concepts • Sarah Vaughn Edwards Interiors • Shaeffer Hyde Construction • Shell Gas Station – Eagle • Sheraton Mountain Vista • Slifer Designs • Slifer Smith & Frampton Real Estate • Solaris • Store-N-Lock Self Storage • Starbucks • The Sebastian • Ulf & Associates • Vail Board of Realtors • Vail Custom Builders • Vail Daily • Worth Interiors
we build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
P.O. Box 4149, Avon, CO 81620 970.748.6718 | HabitatVailValley.org
Habitat Vail Valley ReStore 970.328.1119 | RestoreVailValley.org
Published on Jul 3, 2017
The 2016 annual report for Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization located in Avon, Colorado. The report include...