About Us About Us
EZDA is an alliance of economic zone specialists that have been collaborating and working together for over a decade. As a result of feedback from clients that the UAE and broader Middle East market lacks consultant firms who truly understand economic zones from an SEZ authority / operator’s perspective and are able to deliver practical and implementable solutions, EZDA was formed specifically to focus on this gap in the economic zones market.
We are an alliance with unique global experience and capabilities, offering integrated comprehensive solutions for economic zones:
The strength of EZDA is derived from our unsurpassed capability to deliver fully integrated, end-to-end strategic planning, development and operational performance solutions focussed solely on economic zones and their unique challenges and opportunities.
The following capability document showcases our credentials, covering:
How We Deliver
EZDA’s team of over 300 professionals covers a diverse range of specialist disciplines including:
· Strategy & Feasibility
· Master Planning
· Property Economics
· Development Management
· Supply Chain Logistics
· Legal & Regulations
· Marketing & Sales
· Operational Transformation.
An expert in free zone strategy and operations, Krysta captained the global award-winning transformation of the DMCC free zone. Fifteen months into the change program the zone was named Global Free Zone of the Year, a title retained all five years of her tenure. She led a period of 5X growth, 40% improvement in customer satisfaction and a complete digital revolution.
She is an accomplished strategist, transformation expert and people leader. Krysta is experienced in all aspects of free zone strategy, operations and regulations, and has negotiated lucrative partnerships and international government to government cooperation agreements. Her expertise has been sought internationally and she advises on all aspects of free zone development, operation and transformation.
FREE ZONE EXPERT
30 YEARS EXPERIENCE
20 YEARS MIDDLE EAST EXPERIENCE
Paul MorrisDEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
30 YEARS INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
20 YEARS MIDDLE EAST EXPERIENCE
Paul has spearheaded development in the Middle East since 2000, having been involved in some of the most significant SEZs across the Gulf, including planning for Khalifa Port Industrial Zone (KIZAD), Dubai Maritime City, EnPark (DubioTech), Abu Dhabi Media Zone, Dubai International Financial City, Abu Dhabi Financial District, and Al Fayah Industrial City. For the past four years he has been the CEO of Integra where he has provided overall strategic and commercial direction, in addition to leading the development management team.
Paul has also held executive roles at global professional services firms over the past 30 years, including most recently Global Market Leader at GHD, where he led over 1,500 architects, engineers and construction managers, with a real estate services’ annual revenue of $250 million for some $8 billion of projects delivered annually across the globe.
Dr Andreas Baumgartner is a senior economic development expert at the crossroads of business, public sector and law, with more than 25 years of professional experience. Working for public, semi-public and private sector clients, he has specialized in the development of free and other special economic zones, as a major driver of sustainable economic and social development as well as regulatory innovation. He is passionate about creating and shaping opportunities that lead to sustainable impact.
He has been involved in the foundation and subsequent growth stages of SEZs all over the world as well as, in some cases, the repositioning of SEZs. He started his SEZ related work at McKinsey & Co aand continued it while at the Office of Tony Blair/ Tony Blair Associates, with a stronger focus on political sensitivities and regulatory aspects.
Dr Andreas Baumgartner
SEZ STRATEGY, REGULATORY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
25 YEARS INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
Dr Gregor Binkert
ECONOMIC & INVESTMENT SPECIALIST
35 YEARS INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
Dr Binkert has worked the majority of his career leading project developments in Africa, with extensive experience in Mozambique, Chad, Angola, Cameroon, Gabon, Sao Tome, Equatorial Guinea and the Central African Republic.
With a PhD in Applied Economics, he is a recognised expert in macro-economics, public finance, competitiveness assessment, trade and regional integration, policy-based lending and capital raising for SEZs, industrial and infrastructure projects in Africa.
Greg is also Chairman and/or Board
Member of several Investment Funds, the Beluluane Industrial Park (Mozambique) and an expert advisor to investment funds, multilateral development banks and African government in relation to SEZ development, funding and management.
Hawie’s extensive career has spanned numerous sectors and roles, ranging from industrial engineering through to business transformation and zone appraisal, analysis, due diligence, funding and governance.
With a degree in industrial engineering, Hawie has a strong technical background which has been indispensable on complex industrial, processing and technology-based SEZs.
Over three decades, he has initiated, conceptualised, designed, managed or reviewed innovative projects in the mining, mineral processing, oil & gas, automotive, energy & renewables, agricultural, manufacturing, chemical, food & beverage, telecommunications and technology start-up sectors.
35 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Strategy, Advisory and Regulation
· During his 25+ year career, Matthew has gained significant experience across all phases of design, delivery and project management, successfully delivering multiple residential, commercial, retail and resort developments plus a plethora of civil, water, wastewater and environmental infrastructure projects. Of note and drawing upon all of this experience, Matthew was in part responsible for the master plan and design of two of the famous man-made ‘Palm islands’ in the United Arab Emirates.
Khurram leads ValuStrat’s execution team for the Advisory business and possesses strong analytical and execution skills in the areas of strategy, research, financial modelling and business valuation.
He has successfully led a large number of advisory consulting engagements across multiple industries. Khurram also has significant experience in equity research and has worked as Research Analyst for Timescape Capital (a NYSE hedge fund).
A trusted senior (enterprise level) Business Strategist, investment attraction consultant and business development professional, whose progressive international career has been based upon a platform of effective planning and execution resulting in securing significant market share growth (clients include multi-nationals British American Tobacco, Huawei, Unilever and Safaricom).
Rita has been particularly instrumental in shaping international deals to activate free zone infrastructure in Africa.
Jang has over 24 years of extensive experience in the UK and KSA in various facets of real estate. He is ValuStrat’s Director & Head of Real Estate for Saudi Arabia and manages the firm’s KSA business for all real estate valuations, market research, construction project monitoring and technical building condition due diligence.
Prior to joining ValuStrat, Jang was Head of the Valuation and Corporate Investment Solutions team for Colliers International in KSA, prior to which he had over 17 years in London, U.K. in various real estate advisory firms.
A lawyer with over 20 years’ experience, Eugenio was admitted to Italian Bar in 1997. He is a Member of the International Bar Association of Africa and the Gulf committees.
As a highly experienced corporate and M&A professional, Eugenio supports his clients in both national and cross-border transactions, including sectors such as construction, energy and infrastructure, especially in relation to economic zones.
Pawel Banach is General Manager of ValuStrat’s Qatar operations. He has 15 years of experience in real estate advisory, investment advisory, asset valuation and commercial due diligence.
Prior to joining ValuStrat Qatar, Mr. Banach was Head of Valuation & Research at Land Sterling in Dubai, UAE. Before moving to the GCC region, his past experience includes roles with international companies such as Deloitte, Savills, Knight Frank and Prologis.
Mark is a Civil Engineer with over 25 years’ global experience in construction and engineering. Based in Saudi Arabia, he has delivered significant construction projects from nuclear, rail and infrastructure assignments to building mega projects.
Mark sits on many ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers) committees and supports local committees throughout the Middle East and Africa. He is also the Council Member for the Middle East and Africa for ICE and Country Representative for the UAE.
Jon has over 30 years’ experience in the construction industry, with 9 years in the UAE, focusing primarily on the commercial aspects procurement, contracts management and contract administration.
His fields of expertise include cost estimating / planning, value engineering, risk management, procurement methodology and implementation, contract drafting, post-contract cost management, contract administration, settlement of final accounts and claims management.
Saroj holds a master’s degree in Management from Cornell University, New York and has 25 years of experience, with the last 12 years focused on government services, with particular emphasis on design, delivery & governance of government and citizen services.
She has extensive experience providing advisory services to free zones on how to set-up the endto-end service delivery, the governance framework for the operations, customer service improvements and other quality enhancement projects.
With 25 years’ experience, Keenan has delivered awardwinning projects across the GCC, Sub-Saharan Africa and SouthEast Asia, across a broad base of sectors, especially including hitech and industrial projects. He was a former director of 3Sixty Consult and is a current director of PMKConsult. His engineering expertise has underpinned the delivery of highly complex and mission-critical installations requiring a high degree of technical competency.
…with a team of 300 professionals specialising in economic zone and supply chain logistics’ strategy, advisory, valuations, design & project management, construction management and operations, EZDA is one of the largest specialist economic zone development consultants serving the MEA region…Pawel Banach Valuations and Advisory, Qatar Mark Jamieson Infrastructure Advisory Jon Whyte Principal Commercial Manager Saroj Shayinee Policy & Governance Keenan Grote Mission-Critical Installations
Planning and Design
Richard is a professional Civil Engineer holding with over 22 years' international experience. Richard’s expertise includes PMO Set up and Leadership, Project Management and Project Controls, Project close out, transition to operations and associated business transformational change; Contract formation and post contract & commercial management; Multidiscipline design team management; Dispute avoidance and EOT resolution; and Strategic and tactical business development.
Alf has 30 years of experience as an architect including 12 years in the UAE where he was a Principal of Woods Bagot.
In 2016 Alf established an independent design consultancy with his key roles and interests lying in the conceptual stages of real estate projects.
He was instrumental in design of:
· Masdar Headquarters
· Dubai Maritime City
· Dubai Design District
· Qatar Science & Tech Park
Jim has 35 years of experience as an architect, having worked with developers, government planning agencies and consultants in the Middle East for over a decade. With extensive experience from master planning of residential communities, through to design and delivery of major real estate developments, Jim is an extremely well-rounded development manager.
Jim has held senior Middle East positions with:
· Abu Dhabi UPC
· Zaya Development
· GHD and SMEC consultants
David started his career in technical construction and developed his expertise in project management; in which he interfaces with clients, technical design teams through to implementing practical remedies for pre and post construction.
David now is spearheading project strategy and delivery for state-ofthe-art logistics and distribution clients in the GCC. His focus is on cross-functional and complex projects incorporating technology, niche special requirements and consulting on full architectural design through to construction management solutions.
Adam is an experienced property professional and business leader with a successful history of project delivery throughout Australia and the United Kingdom. He is a proven development industry leader having led complex, large scale industrial, logistics and infrastructure projects through his capacity as Senior Project Manager and Project Director.
Geoffrey is a Senior Project Management professional, with over 22 years’ experience both in the UK and UAE. For the last six years, he has been working with Etihad Airways Property Department based in Abu Dhabi. His experience includes positions held within both client and main contractor side, land acquisition, financing, property development and leasing. He has a strong commercial understanding and has a comprehensive understanding of construction techniques, drafting, researching and interpretation of contractual and Tender documents.
James leads the TX Asia business. He has over 15 years construction and property experience, delivering a pipeline of complex, automated and high-bay facilities across Asia-Pacific.
James’ expertise lies in managing the integration of automation into a building to ensure a smooth transition and go-live period. This skillset is invaluable to TMX clients, as industrial assets become more bespoke to cater to the operational needs of their occupiers.
MEA Markets “Project Management Experts of
Leigh brings with him over 26 years’ experience in the design, delivery and management of numerous projects in a number of different sectors. He has become skilled in managing clients, staff and contractors while undertaking a variety of roles and challenges under tight deadlines and limitations.
Leigh’s experience includes industrial, healthcare, education, defense, museums, and commercial projects ranging from AED 10 million to AED 1.2 billion.
the Year Award, 2018”
Declan has twenty years of international experience working in construction project management and contracting managing both pre and postcontract phases. With a particular focus on delivering projects for Media and Broadcast companies (Sky News Arabia, OSN and Abu Dhabi Media), Declan has also been instrumental in project delivery across a range of sectors Hospitality, Healthcare, Commercial, Retail and industrial projects.
Joshua has worked in a diverse range of sectors including hospitality, medical, oil & gas, residential and retail, having worked in offices with large contractors as well as smaller private firms. He has experience in analysing and preparing both technical and financial RFP’s, preparation of cost estimates and BoQ’s and supporting preparation of expert witness reports.
Supply Chain Logistics
Program manager and Practice
Lead for TMX in Supply Chain. Shaun has extensive experience in Business Transformation, especially in the supply chain sector where he has worked for multi-national FMCG and retail chains.
Shaun has formal training in Lean and Six Sigma methods to drive organisational transformation and performance enhancement. He has led a number of performance improvement programs utilising complex diagnostics, strategy development and solution integration.
Mark is Director of Strategy for TMX. Mark is an experienced strategy professional with 20+ years’ experience developing and leading billion dollar transformation programs.
Since joining TMX, Mark has led several of the largest supply chain transformation projects underway in Australia & New Zealand. Mark has helped many large corporates to unlock value from their supply chain.
Extensive global experience in strategic sourcing, procurement, supplier development, supply chain and advanced negotiations across Asia, Europe, North, Central and South America.
He has led projects within many industries and countries across freight and logistics strategies, procurement, systems and implementations. He has also pioneered new solutions including last mile strategies, route optimisation, control towers, supply chain sustainability and third-party logistics managed services.
Adam creates innovative solutions to assist businesses improve their supply chain and retail operations. Following his 5 years leading Kmart Supply Chain, and the great recent success transforming its supply chain and returning the business to strong profitability, he now work with a range of global businesses across varied formats to help them meet contemporary challenges for growth.
Holger leads the TMX team in Asia. Over a 20 year career in contract logistics, supply chain, eCommerce and omnichannel retailing, he has implemented a range of innovative supply chain solutions, with core competency in:
· Supply Chain and Contract Logistics
· Freight Forwarding
· Retail and eCommerce
Combining his expertise in eCommerce, Supply Chain and Logistics, Mitch has delivered breakthrough strategies that grew revenue, expanded market footprint and scaled end-to-end infrastructures for business growth.
His core competencies are:
· Ecommerce Strategy
· Omni-Channel Strategy
· Web Analytics
· Supply Chain Transformation
· Logistics Warehousing
· Order Fulfilment.
International Supply Chain Award Winner, 2017
TMX – Saig Co-op Distribution Centre
Skilled professional with thorough understanding of e-commerce and retail industry. Jan spent two years in Southeast Asia to work with Thailand’s leading retail conglomerate Central Group and leading lifestyle e-commerce platform Zalora.
Jan is currently responsible for building and scaling TMX Digital, a new division of TMX providing clients with profound and practical e-commerce and omnichannel consulting services.
Nicole is a highly experienced executive with a deep understanding of digital and eCommerce.
Her entrepreneurial mindset, international background, and customer-centric-focus is now being leveraged by TMX to build and scale TMX Digital to support clients in their digital transformation
Marcus has over 20 years of international supply chain experience. He has worked with a vast array of global brands optimising their supply chain strategies, where he has been responsible for:
· Global logistics
· Contract logistics
· Strategic development
Kate is a commercially astute, performance and achievement orientated Quality and Risk Management Professional with sound technical strengths and solid engagement and communication skills.
Kate has held senior leadership roles for government, developers, consultants, contractors and construction entities over the past 30 years across the Middle East, Australia and SE Asia, with extensive experience in PMC, EPCM, ECM, EPC and Design and Construct project delivery.
Menu of Services
Our service offering covers every facet of the economic zone development spectrum, including:
· Strategy and advisory
· Market entry and product delivery strategies
· Project conceptualisation and master planning
· Funding and investment frameworks
· Every element of design and engineering management
· Supply chain strategy, freight & logistics planning and implementation
· Procurement, tendering and contract administration of the entire supply chain, from consultants and contractors, to equipment suppliers and operators
· Investment, marketing and sales strategies
· Asset and facilities management plans.
Strategy and Advisory
· Economic zone policy and governance models
· Zone administrative frameworks and digital platforms
· Cross-border trade and investment
· Company law, incorporation and licensing
· Customs facilitation and compliance
· Technical due diligence and asset advisory
· Legal and regulatory frameworks
· Zone establishment and investment
· Infrastructure investment advisory and funding strategies
· Industrial symbiosis clustering strategies
· Value proposition and competitiveness analysis
· Economic zones operation and SEZ performance measurement.
Feasibility Studies and Investment
· Market research and demand analysis
· Feasibility studies and benchmarking
· Highest & best use analysis
· Zone value proposition formulation
· Business and real estate valuations
· Transaction advisory
· Free Trade Agreement analysis and leverage
· Tax analysis and incentivisation programs
· Local investment and FDI attraction strategies and investor outreach
· Marketing, business development and trade missions
· Advocacy, finance matchmaking and deal facilitation.
Supply Chain Strategy, Freight & Logistics
· Cost reduction and growth strategies
· Optimised distribution networks design
· Develop innovative industry solutions
· Supply chain transformation programs
· Diagnostic profiling of current logistic network’s performance
· Benchmarking of current operations & competitive market offerings
· Develop transport, sustainability, last mile & logistics strategies
· Logistics and systems procurement & implementation
· Automation integration, testing & commissioning
· Operational transition readiness and implementation management.
· Strategic and statutory planning
· Land use planning
· Clustering strategies
· Infrastructure planning, transport planning and traffic engineering
· Maritime and port engineering
· Sustainable development, LEED, BREEAM and Estidama assessment
· Environmental impact assessment and mitigation measures
· Risk assessment and mitigation
· Development control regulations and design guidelines
· Infrastructure and built-environment design
· Construction and operational planning
Our integrated approach to Economic Zones encompasses strategy, feasibility, benchmarking, master planning, investment attract, development management, stakeholder engagement and operational transformation
Legal & Regulatory
EZDA provides governments and economic zones authorities with an evaluation of the sectorial and regional competitiveness of its Economic Zones’ positioning and legislation as well as internal rules and guidelines and provides on the edge recommendations to develop and boost their economic impact. This includes rules and regulations as well as institutional mechanisms for the resolution of disputes.
Services have included:
· Economic Zone policy and governance models
· Economic Zone approval procedures and launch support
· Company law, incorporation and licensing
· Customs facilitation and compliance
· Judicial and/or alternative dispute resolution mechanisms (including arbitration)
· Effective sector-targeted tax incentives and other investment attraction mechanisms
· Advice on international trade agreements and arrangements
· Sophisticated benchmarking analysis highlighting features of successful sectoral regulatory frameworks
· Training and skill building for zone authority officials and staff as well as other stakeholders
· Organization of experience exchanges
In addition to positioning and regulatory strategy as well as implementation work, members of our team have also supported the amicable resolution of conflicts between governments and free/economic zone operators as well as between authorities and individual investors. Our work in this space is focused on economic solutions to legal challenges.
Competencies on offer through EZDA’s legal and regulatory specialists include:
· Legal advice and counselling
· Legislation and regulation analysis and compliance
· Customs facilitation and international compliance
· Cross-border trade facilitation
· Governance and policy development
· Taxation incentivisation and advisory
· Economic zone administrative frameworks and digital platforms
· Company incorporation and licensing
· Arbitration and dispute resolution.
How can your economic zone stand out from others? Our global competitiveness strategy advisors can assist with the positioning of the economic zone leveraging unique location advantages and enhancing competitiveness through:
· International benchmarking
· Sector-based SWOT-Analysis
· Value Proposition development
· Sector targeting and investor profiling
· Connectivity, supply chain optimization, cluster development and partnerships
· Leveraging Free Trade Agreements
Our FDI lead generation and investor facilitation services include:
· (Digital) Lead generation strategy
· Investor outreach roadmap developmentbusiness missions, investment forums, industry events meeting agenda, site visits
· Deal making facilitation
Our investment attraction team has a proven track record in supporting governments and economic zones in securing FDI for notable projects.
FDI Competitiveness & Attraction
Competencies on offer through EZDA include:
· Market research
· Stakeholder identification and engagement
· Market analysis and economic trends
· Supply chain analysis and sector profiling
· Marketing campaign development and implementation
· Awareness programs, webinars and media releases
· Business lead generation and analysis
· FDI optioneering and strategy development
· Investment analysis
· Leveraging trade agreements
· Investor profiling and due diligence
· PPP and public / private funding strategy
· Investment and tax incentivisation
· Investment packaging and prospectus preparation
· Deal facilitation and legalities.
EZDA recently concluded an outreach and lead generation project for the Biopharma Crescent in the US state of North Carolina with the focus on identifying European Biopharma companies interested in launching offices, R&D or manufacturing facilities.
Moglino SEZ, Russia
Moglino is a 298 ha Special Economic Zone in the Pskov region of Russia, aimed at becoming a hub of innovative manufacturing, finance and education. The SEZ already has already attracted 15 tenants and built 6.4 km of transport infrastructure.
EZDA is undertaking an investment attraction program consisting of:
· First stage: value proposition development, starting from road map design
· Second stage: road map implementation
· Third stage: road map refinement and optimisation based on investment success
· Fourth stage: shaping the Moglino project strategy and implementation based on the investment outcomes.
Economic City Master Planning
Master Planning Capability
Members of the EZDA team have been carrying out economic city and logistics master planning for some three decades, with extensive Middle East and international experience.
Services have included:
· Concept and detailed master planning
· Highest and best use studies
· Financial feasibility studies
· Impact assessments
· Stakeholder engagement
· Sector clustering strategy planning. This extensive experience in planning and development of economic cities ensures that the schemes developed by the EZDA team are wellgrounded and can be pragmatically established. Our master planning team also has extensive operational experience, so is acutely aware of the symbiosis and adjacency needs of value-chain segments being co-located in order to drive operational efficiencies.
EZDA team has delivered numerous master plans for a wide range industrial, logistics, financial, media, technology and special purpose economic zones, covering:
· Strategic and statutory planning
· Land use planning
· Constraints and opportunity analyses
· Demand analysis and clustering strategies
· Financial feasibility optioneering
· Highest-and-best use studies
· Infrastructure planning
· Transport planning and traffic engineering
· Maritime and ports engineering
· Development engineering
· Sustainable development
· Community facilities
· Workforce accommodation
· Security and emergency services
· Supply chain logistics planning
· Open space and landscape strategy
· Environmental impact assessment
· Development risk assessment and mitigation
· Development Control Regulations.
In addition to extensive inhouse capabilities, we also have long-term relationships with specialists in specific industries including:
· Heavy industry, base metals and chemicals
· Manufacturing, automotive and MRO
· Agribusiness and food processing
· High technology and pharmaceuticals.
The EZDA team developed ecological differentiators for a number of economic cities and business parks as a means to drive investor attraction through enhanced development performance and investment credentials.
Specific capabilities held within the EZDA advisory and planning team include:
· LEED, BREEAM and Estidama accreditation
· Eco-industrial park business models and analytics
· Eco-investor databases and pension fund networks
· Carbon credit trading and offsets
· Green infrastructure planning and operation
· Resource optimisation and renewable energy
Sustainable and Eco-Development
Eco-competencies on offer through EZDA include:
· Ecologically sustainable city and urban master planning
· Green infrastructure planning, design, construction and operation
· Green building design
· LEED, BREEAM, Green Star and Estidama rating and certification
· Industrial symbiosis analysis and segment clustering optimisation
· Waste minimisation and re-use strategies
· Carbon footprint reduction and neutralisation strategies and plans
· Renewal and hydrogen energy initiatives
· Biosolids management and effluent re-use
· Transit-oriented development
Landsvirkjun Eco-Industrial Park, Iceland
Feasibility study, business case, investment attraction and marketing prospectus for the development of an eco-industrial park / export processing zone for manufacturing / hi-tech clusters in Iceland. Study included site selection analysis, ownership and management model development, SEZ operation best practice and recommendations, and overall export potential business case.
New York University, Abu Dhabi (NYUAD)
Sustainability advisory for Mubadala Development Company for the master planning and design of the 371,000sqm NYUAD campus on Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi, in association with lead designers, Rafael Vinoly Architects, WSP and GHD.
Eco-initiatives included generation of 75% of hot water and 10% of power on-campus through renewal energy sources, installation of 40 atmospheric potable water generators and on-site organic waste composters.
Feasibility Study Capability
EZDA has conducted over 100 detailed and bankable feasibility studies over the past three decades with particular experience analysing and benchmarking economic cities and business park developments.
Core capabilities relevant to economic city clients and development authorities include:
· Market research
· Regional and global benchmarking
· Sector cluster analysis
· Financial due diligence
· Development cost analysis
· Transaction structuring
· Funding and FDI strategies
· Investor relations and due diligence
· Bankability assessment and reporting
· Business valuation.
EZDA has inhouse core competencies covering:
· Economic and demographic analysis
· Trade demand analysis
· Market segmentation
· Trade demand drivers
· Demand supply gap analysis
· Benchmarking of performance
· Cluster analysis for feasibility purposes
· Economic city SWOT and PESTLE analysis
· Highest and best use analysis
· Pre-feasibility, feasibility and bankable feasibility reporting
· Financial modelling and sensitivity analysis
· Porter’s Diamond Model and Five Forces competition analysis
· Investment packaging and funding strategy
· Due diligence auditing and reporting.
Dubai Airport Freezone
Comprehensive study covering:
· Shortlisting of Industries
· Sector cluster analysis
· Market assessment and logistic industry demand analysis
· Detailed regional and global benchmarking of logistics cities, busines parks and warehousing
· Logistics segment supply, demand gap analysis
· Internal diagnostics of ADFZA business
· Industry and prospective client engagement
· Proposed logistics development mix
· Proposed value-added services to segments.
RAK Business District Development
Feasibility study covering provision of:
· Market research
· Multi-criteria analysis of industry fundamentals
· High-and-best use analysis
· Development concept advisory services
· Financial feasibility study
SMART City Development Capability
The EZDA’s global SMART City benchmark reports and business models for economic zones integrate smart city elements, including:
· City mobility, connectivity & digitalization
· Research and edtech
· Worktech, govtech and e-Government
· Greentech & cleantech
· Proptech & real estate.
Key technologies that the EZDA team are embedding in SMART city and industrial park developments include:
· AI and machine learning
· AR and mixed reality
· Digital Business Roadmap
· Cyber-security and blockchain
· Real-time geospatial technology
· 5G ICT
· IOT and big data.
SMART City Development
SMART city and advanced facility competencies on offer through EZDA include:
· SMART city master planning
· Digital strategies
· Industrial and logistics robotics and automation
· Electro-mechanical equipment instrumentation, control and automation
· eCommerce and omni-channel fulfilment
· Future-proofing and obsolescence management
· Asset and facilities management
· Infrastructure security and resilience.
EZDA has been applying SMART City principles and practices across a myriad of industries and economic city developments including:
· Industrial and logistics
· Healthcare and pharmaceutical
· Inter-modal transportation
· Energy sector
· Environmental monitoring
Case Study – KONZA Technopolis
Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KoTDA) is the implementing agency under the Ministry of Information Communications and Technology (MoICT). Konza has an important role in Science, Technology and Innovation realm to enhance utilization of the contemporary scientific revolution in improving production and productivity in all sectors.
EZDA was commissioned to undertake:
· Analysis and benchmarking of over 250 global SEZ, Science and Technology Parks
· Establish the best practices pertaining to Hi-Tech SEZs and ascertaining their critical success factors and performance drivers
· Recommend global best appropriate practices relevant to Kenya’s socio-economic context
· Capture the global best practices benchmarking and market analysis into an overall guiding strategy for KoTDA to implement.
Zone Digital Transformation
The EZDA team has supported clients in various capacities, from digitalization of existing zones to set up of 100% digital zones offering e-residency to its companies. Additionally, our members have had first-hand experience implementing digital platforms to revolutionise their Zone’s customer interface.
At the core of every digital strategy is the fundamental need to:
· Map all business processes
· Set KPIs
· Invested in fully connected systems
· Create a knowledge strategy and establish a central knowledge hub
· Implement a cycle of continuous improvement
· Develop an ideas management platform to drive innovation.
Zone digitisation involves so much more than software and a database platform. Effective digital transformation requires a deep understanding and competencies in:
· Business process mapping
· Stakeholder engagement
· Thought leadership
· Trade enablement
· Value-chain analysis
· Customer relationship management and Customer Services Strategy
· Cloud-based ERP platform evaluation
· Digital client self-servicing solutions
· Customer portal development
· Documentation digitalisation
· Service delivery benchmarking
· Monitoring and reporting dashboards.
Case Study – DMCC Dubai Background
In early 2013 following the first strategy refresh under new leadership, the DMCC team identified that digital systems were the biggest barrier to future growth.
A digitization strategy was developed, digital development vendors were evaluated and selected, and the decision was made to launch a new cloudbased platform covering front and back office and client portal.
EZDA’s business transformation capability is best demonstrated through the comprehensive transformation learnings and tools developed through the transformation of the DMCC, where Krysta Fox, one of EZDA’s foundation partners was an executive director for six years and spearheaded the DMCC transformation.
The DMCC free zone gained global recognition ten years after its formation when it commenced a major business transformation that covered every aspect of the zone’s strategy and operations.
Zone Business Transformation
Free Zone LaunchPad ®
The 12 elements of EZDA’s Free Zone Performance Framework
LaunchPad® were developed through 6 years at the helm of leading the DMCC through a ground-breaking transformation
Clients we serve
EZDA’s partners have been serving clients in the Gulf for over two decades, with partner networks stretching to Asia-Pacific, Europe and Africa.
We have developed enduring relationships with our clients, underpinned by an extensive track-record of repeat business. Our staff have a diverse experience base, many of whom have worked client-side for regional developers, blue-chip multi-national free
At the heart of our client success is the fact that each and every project we undertake is ultimately led by a partner director, ensuring that every client has direct access to those who own the business.
A snapshot of our client profile is covered below and in our project overview.
International Supply Chain Award Winner, 2018
TMX – Coca-Cola Bottlers Japan Distribution Centre
'IQ' industry excellence award June 2018 for innovation process and final product for 'Office of the Future' for the UAE Prime Minister’s Office, Dubai.
What we’ve done
EZDA has completed or is delivering a multitude of projects across the Middle East and wider region. Iconic project services and asset classes that our team have delivered include:
· Strategic planning and investment advice
This section presents just a small slice of our project experience to showcase the depth of talent in our team. We would be delighted to provide more detailed project sheets and case studies of any particular projects of interest.
Economic Zone Management
SEZ Management and Governance
Beluluane Industrial Park, Mozambique
Strategic management input into the Beluluane Industrial Park (BIP) through the private sector investment arm of the PPP. BIP has some 40 companies active in the park, employing 10% of the Mozambique’s industrial workforce
A flagship industrial park anchored by the MOZAL Aluminium Smelter
Khalifa Port Industrial Zone (KPIZ) Concept Master Plan
An integrated trade, logistics and industrial hub
Phase 1 Concept Master Plan of 137sqkm covering full parcellation of land to meet demand out to 2050. 12 Clusters adopted including base metals, heavy engineering, vehicle assembly, chemicals, manufacturing, building & construction, food, trade and support.
Free Zone Transformation
Dubai Multi-Commodities City, Transformation
Develop and implement the DMCC Transformation Strategy from 2012 to 2015 that was the catalyst for 400% growth, 40% customer satisfaction improvement and a complete digital revolution.
Led by Krysta Fox, DMCC Executive Director
Global Free Zone of the Year for 5 consecutive years
Strategy Development & Implementation Image Courtesy
Dubai Maritime City Master Plan
A global maritime hub catering for ever business and lifestyle facet of the maritime sector
A 240 hectare free zone clustered around maritime industries, including the adjoining Dubai Dry-Docks, boat manufacturing and overhaul, brokerage, commercial, exhibition, retail, maritime academy and mixed-use.
Investment Attraction SEZ Russia
Special Economic Zone Investment Business development and investment strategy for Moglino SEZ covering vision, value proposition, investment road map development and investment plan implementation.
300ha innovation hub for manufacturing, finance and education – Pskov, Russia
Investment Strategy & Implementation
Dubai Logistics City
Globally one of the largest, stateof-the-art air cargo and logistics cities with unparalleled growth
Business development for the 21.5km2 Dubai South DLC, signing up 100 logistics companies with an FDI of $3B, including master planning, facility planning, phasing and detailed operational plans.
New RAK Business District Development, Ras Al Khaimah
Work, Live, Play Development
RAKIA, Al Marjan Dev Co & RAK Free Trade Zone
Development Advisory and Financial Feasibility
Provision of Market Research, Highest & Best Use Study, & Development Concept Advisory services for a Business District Development in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Multi-criteria analysis to test industry fundamentals
Image Courtesy of Google Earth
Panama – Investor Attraction
Comprehensive investor attraction strategy for this key new world economic zone
Supported the organisational set-up and created a roadmap for Panama Investment Partners Group to achieve its mission in attracting trade and investment to Panama’s Free Zones.
Konza Technopolis, Kenya – Infrastructure Funding
Hi-Tech Special Economic Zone
Our team was instrumental in development and implementation of the strategy for infrastructure funding of Phase 1 of Konza Technopolis in partnership with the Kenyan ICT Board.
dubbed “..where the African silicon savannah begins..” Government of Kenya
Creating a Sustainable City enhancing the economic, education, environmental and social fabric of Dubai
Our team led the master planning of the 75 ha EnPark city focused on sustainable practices, including research, technology, alternative energy, education, urban agriculture (eco-cells), green buildings and infrastructure.
Special Economic Zones
ECZA, Saudi Arabia
ECZA, Saudi Arabia Benchmarking Study
Our team has provided multiple SEZ benchmark studies for ECZA covering regulatory frameworks, company law, and sector and cluster development of economic cities and special economic zones worldwide.
Establishing an investment powerhouse through SEZ hubs connecting three continents
Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone
Boosting manufacturing, logistics, beneficiation, investment and economic growth in RSA
Strategic leadership of RBIDZ through 2019/20 with overall responsibility for executive management, investment attraction, strategy implementation, stakeholder engagement, board liaison and human capital management.
Dube Tradeport, South Africa
SEZ Management Development of the DTPC Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Zone Strategy, DTPC Electronics Zone Strategy, DTPC Automotive Supplier Park Strategy, and Investment Promotion Strategy.
Dube TradePort Corporation
Strategy & Implementation
Dube Tradeport SEZ – Africa’s global manufacturing and air logistics platform
Dubai Airport Freezone
Highly targeted re-alignment of the DAFZ logistics value proposition
Market assessment, internal diagnostics, sector analytics, regional and Dubai trade analysis, industry engagement, and logistics complex development advisory.
Limpopo Eco-Industrial Park, South Africa
Africa’s first zero solid waste eco-industrial park the dtic, RSA
Project Due Diligence, Funding and Governance Technical advisory, market study, funding management, PPP infrastructure delivery and SEZ project governance for the 6,400ha ecoindustrial city on behalf of the South Africa government.
Technical and Financial SEZ Advisory
How to reach us
United Arab Emirates
Al Nahyan Buildings, #82, Office 9 Block A-FF, 1st Floor
PO Box: 38786, Abu Dhabi, UAE
T +971 2 666 8379
702 Palace Towers, Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai, UAE
T +971 4 326 2233
Zentroom Bahnhofplatz 10 b
3011 Bern Switzerland
T +41 79 916 66 17
Level 1, 63 Ann Street
Surry Hills, Sydney, NSW 2010
T +61 2 8866 3160
T + 974 4 496 8119
Or speak directly to:
Paul +971 50 135 4237
Krysta +971 50 245 5265
Greg +41 79 916 66 17
Andreas ++971 56 296 7476
© Copyright, 2023
This document is and shall remain the property of EZDA. The document may only be used for the purpose of assessing our offer of services and for inclusion in documentation for the engagement of EZDA. Unauthorised use of this document in any form whatsoever is prohibited.