Skip to main content

The East Hampton Star Nov. 10 Section A

Page 1

NEWSPAPER OF RECORD SINCE 1885

VOL. CXXXVI NO. 18

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2022

PROPOSITIONS

Hochul Bests Zeldin in Close Governor’s Race

Housing Gets Solid ‘Yes’ Votes New .5-percent tax will take effect in January BY CHRISTOPHER WALSH A community housing fund proposition that would authorize a .5-percent tax on some real estate transfers passed in East Hampton, Southampton, and Southold Towns, but appears to have been narrowly defeated on Shelter Island, according to unofficial results from the Suffolk County Board of Elections. Voters in East Hampton Town gave their decisive approval to the ballot proposition, with 68 percent — or 7,106 — saying “yes.” The proposition passed with more than 53 percent of the vote in Southampton Town and nearly 59 percent of the vote in Southold but appears to have been defeated on Shelter Island, though unofficial results have it failing by just eight votes, 889 to 881. The .5-percent tax will be in addition to the 2-percent transfer tax on real estate transactions for the community preservation fund. The Peconic Bay Region Community Housing Act, signed into law last year, authorized the five East End towns to establish community housing funds to be supported by that transfer tax. Assuming the unofficial result holds, the fund will become operational in January.

Congressman conceded yesterday afternoon

November sea, November sky

Max Philip Dobler

Continued on A10

For ‘Seal of Biliteracy’ John Marshall program will continue past third grade BY CHRISTINE SAMPSON Dozens of parents showed up to a special East Hampton School Board meeting on Monday ready to fight for an innovative dual-language program at the John M. Marshall Elementary School that for the last four years has laid the groundwork for students to become fluent in both English and Spanish and eventually graduate high school with the coveted “seal of biliteracy.” The families who first bought into the program were essentially taking part in a giant experiment: Could native English-speaking children flourish in reading, writing, math, and even science with fully half their school day taught in Spanish? Data presented Monday night by school administrators showed that by the end of the second grade, the kids were indeed doing just that, having made up for shortfalls in their first year in the program. But those who geared up for battle instead found themselves — at the end of the nearly two-hour meeting — applauding Adam Fine, the East Hampton School District superintendent, who formally recommended continuing the program. “I think it best serves our population — both populations,” he said, referring to children who are native English speakers and those who are native Spanish speakers. The crowd of at least 100 people at the meeting, some children among it,

was a measure of the program’s popularity. For about 15 Spanish-speaking people who needed help understanding the presentation and discussion, a district employee used a wireless headphone system to translate in real-time. Karen Kuneth, principal of John Marshall, and Tiffany Patterson, director of English-as-a-new-language programs across the district, explained that the dual language program meets state requirements for bilingual education for non-native English-speaking students. If the district were to discontinue the program, it would still find itself having to provide significant bilingual resources anyway to more than 40 percent of its 502 elementary school students. There are currently 159 children in the program, which this year runs from kindergarten through third grade. Dual language “is a more inclusive model,” Ms. Patterson said, that has been proven to bridge cultural differences and language barriers. She and Ms. Kuneth presented test scores that also measured children’s achievement in the general education and integrated special and general education classrooms. With an asterisk that some data was collected during the pandemic, when classes were virtual and many children struggled, all kindergarteners gained less than a full standard-grade-level of reading skills. Both Continued on A8

HIT-AND-RUN

‘I Prayed and Mourned’ Tearful Campbell addresses victim’s bereft family BY TOM GOGOLA Appearing before Suffolk Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro in Riverside last Thursday morning, Daniel Campbell, the driver in a 2021 hit-andrun in Amagansett, was formally sentenced to 90 days in jail, 90 days of community service, and five years’ probation. Mr. Campbell was remanded to the Riverhead Correctional Facility at the conclusion of Thursday’s sentencing hearing. He pleaded guilty in August in the Aug. 10, 2021, hit-and-run accident on Old Stone Highway that led to the death of Devesh Samtani, an 18-yearold pedestrian visiting the area with his family. Mr. Samtani was poised to join his older brother at New York University that fall. Dozens of his family members and friends from Hong Kong were in court Thursday, along with Mr. Campbell’s parents. Mr. Samtani’s father, Kishore Samtani, his mother, Mala, and his cousin Kabir Kurani all had the opportunity to address Mr. Campbell in advance of Justice Ambro’s handing down his sentence.

Mr. Kurani told Mr. Campbell that his entire family had been devastated and had “collapsed” following the 2021 accident, which occurred after police broke up a house party on Timber Lane that Devesh Samtani had attended with his cousin. Mr. Campbell was driving his father’s 2012 Honda pilot with his sister and several of her friends in the car when it hit Mr. Samtani. He said he panicked and left the scene. Mr. Kurani recalled watching Mr. Campbell drive away as his cousin lay on the ground with a fractured skull. “You left him out there on the ground to suffer and die,” he said. “At what point can we define you as pure evil? You have broken our family.” Mala Samtani was next at the podium and recollected hearing the news that her son had been gravely wounded. Mr. Campbell, she said, had “killed my son and my whole family.” Mr. Campbell may have gotten 90 days for leaving the scene of an accident involving a fatality — but Mrs. Samtani said her family would be dealing with a “lifetime of pain.” Continued on A9

Your Friends May Be Your Only Safety Net Cancer’s financial toll can outlast treatment BY JUDY D’MELLO The good news that EricaLynn and Alex Huberty received was that Mr. Huberty’s cancer — B-cell follicular lymphoma — is not terminal. But wrapped in that was also some bad news on the financial front. Mr. Huberty, who lives with his wife and their two children in Bridgehampton, was diagnosed with this form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in April after detecting a swollen lymph node that he assumed was a cyst. Luckily, the couple was told that because of the scientific inroads made in developing a Covid vaccine, there has been much progress and change in how certain cancers are treated — and follicular lymphoma is highly treatable. “The unlucky thing is that the treatment still involved a really primitive form of chemo,” Ms. Huberty, an artist and writer, said on Zoom, her husband at her side. “It’s based on mustard gas they used in World War I. It’s in the class of nitrogen mustards,” said Mr. Huberty, who received his first round of a six-month treatment in early June. According to Ms. Huberty, the treatment involved “A day of chemo, a day of chemo and monoclonal antibodies, and then a day of a white blood cell-inducing shot to make your white blood cells skyrocket to counteract the chemo. And then the intravenous — four or five hours each time you go in for all these other things from gout medicine and antivirals, to Benadryl, Tylenol, anti-nausea, antianxiety. Literally, they just, like, throw a cocktail at you. . . . And by the time we got to the end of June, Alex had been in bed for three weeks. Just from the one week of treatment.” Mr. Huberty, 50, an information technology consultant for small businesses on the East End, received three more rounds of treatment, each with worsening side effects that included severe bone and back pain, brain fog, and fatigue. Unable to work for more than a handful of days since June, Mr. Huberty suffered substantial income loss. And that’s when he received the bad news: He was ineligible Continued on A4

BY CHRISTOPHER WALSH Gov. Kathy Hochul has apparently won her race against Representative Lee Zeldin of New York’s First Congressional District, but in a far closer contest than earlier polls had predicted. Shortly after 11 p.m. on Tuesday, NBC projected the race for the governor, and ABC followed soon after. Although Ms. Hochul, the former lieutenant governor who was elevated to the top spot in the wake of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s resignation in 2021, was comfortably ahead of Mr. Zeldin for most of the campaign, the race tightened significantly in the closing weeks. By yesterday, unofficial results posted on the New York State Board of Elections website had Ms. Hochul and her running mate, Lt. Gov. Antonio Delgado, leading Mr. Zeldin and his running mate, Alison Esposito, 52.7 percent to Mr. Zeldin’s 47.3, with 93 percent of votes in. The board of elections was reporting 2,949,425 votes for Governor Hochul and 2,656,293 votes for Mr. Zeldin. The New York Times, at 11:30 a.m. yesterday had the governor winning 3,031,877 votes to Mr. Zeldin’s 2,727,152, or 52.6 percent to 47.4 percent, with 94 percent of votes in.

Should the result hold, Ms. Hochul, New York’s first female governor, will have been elected in her own right. The Suffolk County Board of Elections website showed Mr. Zeldin, of Shirley, decisively winning in the county. With 1,042 of 1,058 election districts reporting as of yesterday morning, Mr. Zeldin had won 323,960 votes in the county to the governor’s 228,532, votes, or 58.54 to 41.3 percent. The governor spoke to supporters in Manhattan after the networks called the race. “Together, we will ensure our values are put to work to lift up all and leave no one behind,” she said, “building a state where we can afford to raise our families, where we create good paying jobs in the industries of tomorrow — from Long Island to New York City, to Syracuse to Buffalo, where we expand safe, decent housing for all, where our kids succeed in school and reach their full potential, where we live without fear, safe in our neighborhoods and our subways, with illegal guns off our street, where our fundamental rights are protected and women can make decisions about our own bodies.” Mr. Zeldin conceded the race yesterday afternoon, congratulating Ms. Continued on A10

When Warriors Become Peacekeepers Police work is popular among veterans, but it’s not all guns and roses BY TOM GOGOLA It’s a career route that around 20 percent of veterans have taken when their military service is up: Join a municipal police force and transition from overseas warrior to domestic peacekeeper. There are upsides and potential downsides when it comes to hiring veterans, says East Hampton Town Police Chief Michael Sarlo, who oversees a force of 66 full-time uniformed officers that includes a handful of former active service members. “I understand the dual views and the pros and cons associated with transition from military service to municipal law enforcement,” said Chief Sarlo via email this week. “We focus on the positive aspects, such as discipline, calm, and a professional approach of someone who has had the determination and will to successfully complete military training and serve our country honorably.” The challenge, said the chief, is in “keeping an eye on the potential pitfall of the warrior mentality. For the most part, our department culture of community policing and de-escalation make that a non-issue. We have quality people, who have a willingness to serve the community and take the opportunity to transition into a different form of service with a positive approach.” One of those quality people is the former Navy SEAL Denis Shea, who has been a police officer with the town since 2011. The Montauk resident, who left the Naval Reserve in May, was on active duty starting in 1998, and joined the local police force im-

Denis Shea, a retired Navy SEAL seen here in Iraq in December 2007, is one of several military veterans now serving with the East Hampton Town Police Department. Courtesy of Denis Shea mediately after his discharge on Dec. 26, 2011. Over his military career, Officer Shea deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, and various ports of call in Africa, including Liberia in 2003, when he assisted with the U.S. Embassy evacuation that year. “So, for the most part in the military — when you get there you’re always getting ready for war, especially in the SEAL teams,” said Officer Shea, 47, by phone this week. He contrasted that ex-

perience with the peacekeeper role he now plays with the local police force — and described a transition process that “was a little tough.” “Initially it wasn’t hard,” he said, “The military bearing and the weapons, that goes hand in hand. But when you went in to hit a target with the SEALS — we’re going to win. You didn’t have a 15-year-old telling you to go eff yourself.” Continued on A9

COMMUNICATIONS

The Tangled Tale of Two Towers As Blue Bay moves ahead, path for Springs Fire District becomes clearer BY CHRISTOPHER GANGEMI The East Hampton Town Planning Board was poised last night to approve a new 185-foot emergency communications tower, including antennas for the four main personal wireless carriers, at Camp Blue Bay in Springs. Eric Schantz, the assistant East Hampton Town planning director, said it could be operational by Memorial Day. “I would think that once they get planning board approval, they’re set to go to the Building Department and apply for a permit. The Building Department should expedite it. Weather permitting, I think construction could begin within a month or so,” he said in a phone call. No one would have guessed at the Oct. 19 public hearing concerning the tower that not only would all the comments be positive, but nearly all of them would relate to another application altogether, for a tower at the Springs Fire Department. Many of the public comments seemed to indicate that the fire department pole could simply be “switched

on,” alleviating cellphone and emergency communications problems in the surrounding area. “ ‘Switch it on’ is a neat slogan. It’s not quite that easy, but the tower contractor can quickly mount antennas,” said Carl Irace, an attorney for the Springs Fire District’s board of commissioners. “Those forums were all Manny’s ideas.” Manny Vilar, the chairman of the East Hampton Town Republican Committee and head of the lobbying firm Accabonac Strategies, held two “informational sessions” at the fire department in September and October. Even though the meetings were held at the fire department, Mr. Vilar does not represent the department. “They could fit cell service equipment on the tower now,” said Mr. Schantz. “However, they have yet to seek the necessary approvals for the cell equipment. They can’t fit the town’s emergency services equipment. Physically, the existing tower is not built for that.”

In a phone call Mr. Vilar claimed that the town has engaged in a “purposeful and willful attempt to prevent the fire department from bringing that tower on.” “Riling people up to speak at a public hearing for a different application was unproductive,” commented Ian CalderPiedmonte, a planning board member. The fire department hasn’t been in front of the planning board since September 2021. Back then, its application included the town’s emergency equipment. But in December 2021, the town board voted unanimously to place that equipment at Blue Bay, so that aspect of its application, at least, is obsolete. “We welcome the fire department to submit something that’s going to improve cell service in the Springs,” Mr. Schantz said. “Until September, we thought we still needed a 180-foot pole,” said Mr. Irace, for the emergency equipment. “We didn’t have reason to prioritize review of a shorter pole. We do now. We’re reviewContinued on A10


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The East Hampton Star Nov. 10 Section A by The East Hampton Star - Issuu