Page 1



A publication of







Pride of the Tri-Lakes Region

Lewis-Palmer School District Choose to Join our Tradition of Excellence

The Tri-Lakes Area is an extraordinary place for educating children. The region is fortunate

to be served by some of the highest-ranked schools in Colorado, all of them part of Lewis-Palmer School District #38. It is the only district in Colorado named to the College Board Advanced Placement Honor Roll four consecutive years. Its schools have the highest state accreditation score, the top rating for postsecondary and workforce readiness, and the highest graduation rate among its neighboring districts. Registration is open to all students regardless of where they reside. We accept requests for enrollment year-round. We are small enough to make a big difference. Our philosophy is that students should have an educational experience customized to meet their specific needs. We offer a host of options to help every individual find a meaningful connection with education, to ensure that our schools really are “Where Students Belong”.

♦ Consistently Among the Top Districts in Colorado ♦ In Colorado’s Top 10% for College Entrance and State Exams ♦ Acclaimed Music, Art, Sports, Drama and Activity Options ♦ Outstanding Teachers and Staff ♦ 100% of Educators Rated as Highly Qualified ♦ Gifted & Talented Programs on Every Campus ♦ Full-day Kindergarten and Preschool Options ♦ K-6 on-Campus Child Care Outside School Hours ♦ Homeschool Academy Weekly Enrichment

Accepting Enrollment Requests for All Grades

Lewis-Palmer School District 146 Jefferson St., Monument, CO 80132 (719) 488-4700 • •





325 2nd St., Ste R, Monument, CO 80132 | 719-488-6612 | The 2014 Tri-Lakes Community Guide is a supplement of the Tri-Lakes Tribune, a publication of Colorado Community Media; publisher of 21 weekly community papers and websites reaching over 400,000 readers. A publication of A publication of


Artists call Tri-Lakes area home

10 11

Lucretia Vaile Museum


Santa Fe Regional Trail

18 19 22

Air Force Academy

24 24

Tri-Lakes Area Events



The Seven Wonders of Tri-Lakes Tri-Lakes Area Golf Courses

Who to Contact


Jerry Healey

Editor & Publisher

Rob Carrigan


Pat Hill Danny Summers

Contributing Writer

Norma Engelberg Lisa Collacott

Advertising Director

Erin Addenbrooke

Advertising Sales

David Lowe

Production Manager

Scott Andrews

Advertising Design

Brandon Eaker Erin Franks Tina Meltzer Andy Rickard

Cover and inside photography by Rob Carrigan unless otherwise noted

2 014

Western Museum of Mining & Industry

6 2014 GU ID E “Time Traveler”

Artists call Tri-Lakes area home by Norma Engelberg

“My Book”

The arts permeate the Tri-Lakes area from Rampart Range to Black Forest so it’s no surprise that the art scene is literally hopping throughout the year. For example, the Historic Monument Merchants Association sponsors at least two art related events every summer. More than a dozen local specialty shops and galleries in Historic Monument stay open until 8 p.m. for Art Hop on the third Thursday of each month from May to September. Visitors to these free monthly events can stroll through the historic town, browse the shops, meet the artists and authors who call the area home, listen to music and sample local cuisine. Continued PAGE 8

The Shops At Illumination Point Helping Everyone Recover

Helping Everyone Recover 626 Hwy 105, Palmer Lake 80133 719-235-6984

Donations Needed  Never sold  Tax Deductible  Support Local Tuesday and Thursday 10-3 Saturday by appointment ONLY


626 Hwy 105 Palmer Lake, CO

Academy Overhead Door James McGuffey 628 Hwy 105, Palmer Lake 80133 719-481-2549, 800-978-0907

Blue Wave Taekwondo Academy Master Nicolas Karkabe WTF Chung Do Kwan 5th Dan black Belt 630 Hwy 105 Palmer Lake 80133 719-776-9169

R & R Small Engine Plus Automotive 632 Hwy 105, Palmer Lake 80133 719-481-3333 Sales, Service, Repairs. All Makes, All Models

Johan Hair Studio Haircuts, Color/Highlights, Extensions, Men’s barber style cuts, Curly Hair Specialists! Cathy Thompson and Emily Ponce are Advanced Inspired DevaCurl Stylists! 634 Hwy 105, Palmer Lake 80133 719-480-7178


Continued from PAGE 6

2014 GU ID E

While fine arts, jewelers, crafters and writers are showcased at Art Hop, Free Concerts in the Park, now in their 12th year, bring families out to Limbaugh Park on warm June and July evenings to enjoy live music and family fun. For more information, including maps, visit In 2002 a group of local residents, most notably Sky Hall, Rebecca Hendrickson and Betty Konarski, perceived a lack of support for the arts and formed the organization called Tri-Lakes Views. At first the group focused on art shows but in 2005 and 2006 they shifted their focus to public art. In 2007, “Ice Harvest” became the first ARTWalls project. Composed of a series of acrylic panels, the installation on the Monument Water Works Building at the corner of Second Street and Beacon Lite Road depicts a time when one the area’s biggest businesses was harvesting ice from local lakes for the railroads and tourist destinations. ARTWalls has since evolved into ARTSites. Local businesses, civic organizations and nonprofit foundations donate concrete pedestals installed throughout Monument for use by sculptors who display their works either permanently or temporarily for up to a year. Many of these works are located in Sculpture Park at Big Red, the School District 38 administration building on Second Street. According to its website,, the group’s goal is to have some of these pieces become permanent installations throughout the community. A new ARTSites brochure, showing the locations of these installations for self-guided tours, is published each year. Monument isn’t the only place in the Tri-Lakes area where visitors and locals can take in the arts. Palmer Lake has three organizations that are heavily involved in the arts, Palmer Lake Art Group, the Palmer Lake Historical Society and the Tri-Lakes Center for the Arts. One of Palmer Lake’s most prominent women, Lucretia Vaile, figures into the history of both the art group

“Sailfish” is artwork displayed in the Sculpture Park near “Big Red” in Monument. and the historical society. At her death, Vaile bequeathed her summer home to Palmer Lake for the use of the Palmer Lake Art Group. The group sponsors two art shows each year and an annual Christmas Craft Fair on the first weekend of October every year. Proceeds from these shows fund scholarships for District 38 high school seniors, planning to pursue the arts in colleges and universities throughout the country. Information on these events is available at Vaile’s bequests also funded several other cultural pursuits, including the Palmer Lake Historical Society and Lucretia Vaile Museum. While not literally an art venue, the society sponsors lectures on local history, which often are accompanied by artifacts and historic photos. The society’s schedule of events can be found at Tri-Lakes Center for the Arts, founded in 1998, is an incubator for both emerging and established artists. The center sponsors a number of art shows, performances, concerts, benefits, children’s events, demon-

strations, classes and other art-related events throughout the year. More information is available at www. In 1964 artists, artisans and craftsmen in the Black Forest area formed the Black Forest Arts & Crafts Guild to promote activities in fine arts, decorative arts and crafts and culinary arts. Members use annual spring and fall shows to show off their work and fund scholarships grants to local organizations and individuals who enhance the Black Forest community. Many members also take part in other regional art shows and exhibits. For more information visit www. For an up-close and person look at local artists, glass artist Nancy Bonig started the Front Range Open Studios several years ago. In September, area artists open up their studios to neighbors and visitors who can see the artists at work. Bonig described the event as a way to bring artists and patrons together in a venue more personal and inspiring than an art gallery. See for more information.



2 014

Nancy Bonig is a glass artist and founder of Front Range Studios.


How much is your extra fridge costing a year just to keep a few drinks cold? What can you do? Find out how the little changes add up at

(719) 495-2283 •


10 2014

This page: The annual potato bake festival in 1892 in Monument. Right: The first locomotive on the Denver & Rio Grande line in approximately 1872. The railroad brought rapid growth to the area. Photos courtesy Palmer Lake Historical Society


Lucretia Vaile Museum by Lisa Collacott

The existing building that houses the museum was built in 1981 with a bequest that Lucretia Vaile left to the town of Palmer Lake. The museum holds much of the Tri-Lakes area history. Photo by Lisa Collacott

The Tri-Lakes area is in rich in history and much of that history can be found at the Lucretia Vaile Museum in Palmer Lake. The museum is the doorway in which one can travel back in time through historic photographs, documents, newspaper articles and exhibits. Much of the history of the Palmer Divide area centers on the Denver & Rio Grande railroad, Monument and Palmer Lakes, ice harvesting, the Estemere Mansion, the Rockland Hotel, the Limbach Saloon, Monument Nursery and the once thriving potato crop, just to name a few. The history of the area also involves such notable characters as William Finley Thompson, Henry Limbach, Patrick Murphy, Countess

Katrina Wolf Murat, David McShane, and Lucreta Vaile. These contributors to the Tri-Lakes area are long gone and many landmarks and industries are as well but they live on at the museum. The museum and library was started in 1964 by the Palmer Lake Historical Society and was originally housed in the former Santa Fe Railroad section foreman’s house. Rogers Davis, the museum director, said former PLHS member Marian McDonough was the key person behind getting the museum off the ground. Lucretia Vaile, the museum’s namesake, used to spend the summers in Palmer Lake with her family in the late 1800s. In fact the first Yule Log Hunt in Palmer Lake was started in 1933 when Vaile and Evalina Macy requested a splinter from a Yule Log in Lake Placid, N.Y. The hunt is still very much a part of Palmer Lake’s tradition. Vaile made a bequest to the town after her death in 1977. With funds she left, along with additional funding from El Paso County, a new building for the library and museum was built in 1981. Since then hundreds each year enjoy learning about the history of the Tri-Lakes area. Davis estimates that the museum welcomes 800-900 visitors a year. “We have material that goes back to the 1880s,” Davis said. “Our newspaper articles go back to the 1950s. It’s the best collection by far in northern El

Paso County.” Many of the items in the museum have been donated and exhibits change every six months. One of the most popular exhibits is a regular resident of the museum. “Old Disappearance” was a mountain lion that had been killing rancher’s livestock until it was tracked and killed by Fred Simpson. Ranchers gave the mountain lion its name. The mountain lion is on permanent display at the museum to the delight of children and adults. “It’s a huge hit with the kids,” Davis said. Over the years children have enjoyed field trips to the museum but due to school budget cuts they don’t visit as much. “We’re in the process of coming up with a program that can be taken to the schools,” Davis said, adding it will be geared towards fourth graders. The museum is always adding new things and has many books for purchase that pertain to the Palmer Divide area. The historical society also publishes postcards that are available for purchase. The Lucretia Vaile museum is located at 66 Lower Glenway in Palmer Lake. The hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays and 1-3 p.m. on Wednesdays. There is no admission fee however donations are greatly appreciated. The museum is always looking for volunteers. To volunteer send an email to “We are the best kept secret in the area,” Davis said.

In the more than 42 years since the Museum of the West in northern Colorado Springs changed its name to the Western Museum of Mining & Industry, the museum’s mission has been one of education and research. With 27 acres of indoor and outdoor displays, numerous events and permanent and revolving exhibits, this museum, which was accredited by the American Association of Museums in 1979, continues to stick to that mission. Education is achieved through hands-on learning for young and old, including lectures, demonstrations, classes and seminars. Children and their parents learn how to pan for gold and tour a gold mine to learn about the lives of miners, including how they used explosives to blast through rock to reveal hidden veins of gold. In the past children have learned about the business of mining from buying a mining claim through the final reclamation process by excavating the chocolate chips from cookies. This year, starting with Spring Break in March and running through the summer, children can take part in Bricks4Kidz, which is described as STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) with LEGOs. The Western Museum of Mining & Industry is one of the few mining museums in the United States that has working mining equipment, both in the main building and in the ten-stamp ore mill on the hill at the back of the museum property. When these machines are fired up, the sound reverberates through the buildings and gives a realistic feel for what turnof-the-20th-century mining was all about.

Continued PAGE 13


by Norma Engelberg


2 014

Western Museum of Mining & Industry


Santa Fe Regional Trail

2014 GU ID E Editor’s Note: Runner Jack Anthony has written a series of articles relating to what runners are likely see and hear (in the historic sense) as they traverse the New Santa Fe Regional Trail. Anthony’s articles introduce historical tidbits of the life and times around the Air Force Academy’s beginning near the Ice Lake area. The New Santa Fe Regional Trail starts here and heads north to Palmer Lake. David Edgerton homesteaded 160 acres here in 1872. The Denver & Rio Grande Western railroad came right through Edgerton’s property. From Edgerton’s ranch, rose a village bearing his name. Edgerton was first recognized 1877 Colorado Business Directory as being a railroad station. The town of Edgerton grew with the addition of the VC Lewis Hotel and post office in 1881. Also in this time Dr. A.W. Beach was the local doctor in Edgerton. By 1890, Edgerton’s population was 50 citizens. Soon, W.M. Smith established a General Store and was also the postmaster. By 1902 Edgerton had grown to 350 people. Many of Edgerton citizens were people suffering from lung disease (they were called “lungers”) who came for the benefi-

cial effects of the cool, dry air of Colorado. Later the Woodmen Sanatorium would be established in the Woodmen Valley (today’s Rockrimmon area) for these health seekers. In 1893 the Cascade Ice Company was first noted in the Colorado Business Directory. Ice harvesting and distribution was a big deal back then…remember, refrigerators weren’t invented yet! The Cascade Ice Company constructed several stone dams on the West Branch of the Monument Creek and created three small lakes for cutting blocks of ice in the wintertime. The present Ice Lake was built in 1969. Except for some stone dam ruins, there’s no evidence of the original Cascade Company’s “Ice Lakes.” The railroad built two sidings off the main route that enabled the Cascade Ice Company workers to load blocks of ice directly onto specially insulated railroad boxcars. These railcars had thick wooden walls and often used sawdust between the inner and outer layers to provide insulation. Once loaded, a passing freight train stop along here, the brakeman would throw the switch, the train would back up into the spur, connect and take away the ice laden box car. Along

with Edgerton, Monument and Palmer Lake also had ice production operations on their respective lakes. When the highway from Colorado Springs to Denver was built in the early 1920’s the road bypassed Edgerton and it faded away as a village. District 20’s first grammar school was located near here. It was on the mesa about a mile west of the Ice Lake trailhead. Hints of an old road leading northwest up to the Edgerton School can still be seen (barely!) from where the access road crosses the railroad tracks and leads east to the trailhead parking area. The Edgerton School was built in 1874 and held classes until 1915. Kids from as far away as the Woodmen Valley would walk or ride horses to attend grades 1-8 at Edgerton School. Recess was great—the kids would fish in the Monument Creek and I’m sure they also dropped their lines into the Cascade Company’s lakes. The school met with some controversy when Woodmen Valley area parents petitioned to have transportation for their kids. The director of the school denied the request—perhaps he was a cross-country Continued PAGE 16

13 GU ID E

The museum displays more than 4,000 artifacts portraying the history of mining in the West and guided tours end with a movie in the museum’s theater. For serious students of mining and geology, there is a research library with more than 5,000 books. Outside artifacts include giant steam shovels, electric trains, ore cars, and a headframe similar to those used during the Cripple Creek and Victor Gold Rush. The grounds also have picnic areas and a pond where students can learn about life in the marshland: algae, pond scum and water-loving plants, and the water bugs, birds and animals that make the pond their home. Rounding out the grounds are historic cabins, old mining buildings and, of course, Chism and Nugget, the museum’s resident burros. In fact, the museum recently started the Burro Buddy Club. Club membership helps pay for the care and feeding of the burros. “Chism is only about a year away from being ready to walk in local parades,” said museum Executive Director Richard Sauers. “He is the more social

of the two burros. Nugget is a little more skittish but they are inseparable.” Sauers and the museum’s board of directors have big plans. These include a complete renovation of the main building that will include a solar and/or geothermal energy system, an addition for a new library and climate-controlled archive and a new theater that will be twice the size of the existing theater. “We plan to use the current library for a geology classroom,” Sauers said. “Starting this summer we’ll be moving more of our ‘big stuff ’ into the grounds and we’ll be building a covered picnic pavilion.” He is currently conducting a survey of the museum’s off-site warehouse. Once that is finished, plans call for moving the collection into a new warehouse to be constructed on the museum’s central 27-acre property. “We have some really amazing things yet to show the public,” Sauers said. “I know that this is the best mining museum in the West but soon everyone will know.” For more information about the Western Museum of Mining & Industry, including exhibits, events, ticket

prices and membership, visit www. or call 719-488-0880. The museum, a nonprofit organization that runs with the help of 25 volunteers, a small staff and donations from members and friends, is located at 225 North Gate Boulevard, at the North Gate exit of Interstate 25. It is open year round from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Guided tours are offered at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. and are included in admission.

United Country is the Nation’s Largest Integrated Real Estate & Auction Company Home, Farm, Ranch & Land • Residential, Commercial, Recreational & Sporting Buy or Sell – Listings – Auctions – Liquidations – Appraisal Services

Award Winning Auctioneers & Appraisers (719) 667-1000 * (866) 290-2243 Monument, Colorado, and the Nation!

Schur Success Realty & Auction

2 014

Continued from PAGE 11

14 2014



Service Glass 10% discount With Ad

Auto Glass Shower Doors Glass Replacement Mirrors Screens Tabletops

341 N. Front Street Monument



Construction Trim Carpentry

–Fine Cabinetry –Custom Furniture –Entertainment Centers –Fireplace Mantels

Les Kowalsky


Secret Window Art Gallery

ALL-INCLUSIVE Wedding Package

Everything’s included, even the cake!

Indoor/Outdoor venue and award winning florist available for your special EVENT

Share the Secret 47 Third Street

213 Washington St. Monument, CO 80132


Monument, CO

WILLOW TREE Café and Restaurant

Serving Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Cocktails

Serving Breakfast & Lunch Dine-in or Carry-out

Unique Seafood Selection

Specialty Soups

Free Wifi

Sandwiches & Salads

•Vera Bradley •Pandora Jewelry •Lodge Decor •Woodwick Candles •Leanin Tree Cards •Willow Tree •Polish Pottery

Sunday Brunch

Breakfast Burritos

Open 10am - 5:30pm Monday thru Saturday

Prime Rib Fridays and Saturdays

French Toast

American Comfort Food

Large Meeting room Free Wifi


Pub Burgers

140 Second St

Dine-in or Carry-out


251 Front Street

Historic Downtown Monument

719-598-3348 Find us on Facebook

Custom piCture framing and fine art gallery

Nestled in historic downtown Monument, a fabulous Salon and Spa awaits you!


Luna Hair Studio & Spa is a full service salon offering the latest in Hair, Nails, Skin and Massage Services

Specializing in archival Framing Original art By COlOradO artists Find us on facebook

183 Washington st. MonuMent Co 80132 719.487.7691

Local chef Courtney Lundin and her Award Winning truffles

Mention this ad for 15% off your first visit to Luna Hair Studio & Spa

hours of operation Monday - Friday Saturday 10aM - 6PM 10aM - 4PM

Wed-Fri 11:30am-5:30pm Sat 11:30am-4:00pm

267 Washington Street, Monument, CO 80132


174 Washington Street, Monument, CO 80132

Home Décor & Accessories Furniture Wall Art Lighting Gifts Jewelry & More Design Services, Party & Small Event Planning Available 251 Front Street, Suite 9 Monument, CO

719-487-2866 Find us on Facebook


Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-6pm Saturday 10am-4pm

GU ID E 2 014

Shop Dine Play Explore UMENT COLORADO



Continued from PAGE 12

2014 GU ID E

coach and wanted the kids to get some distance training in! In early 1915, the Woodmen parents got the OK to have a school built in the Woodmen Valley. By fall that year, the new school was built where the Woodmen Center is located today and the Edgerton School was closed. Edgerton area was as serene back then as it is today. However, one day in 1886 a mysterious murder occurred. Frank Hall captured the story of the Edgerton murder in an 1891 essay on El Paso County history. An elderly lady and her grandson stayed behind at their Edgerton ranch while the widowed mother went east to Boston on an extended trip. The two lived quietly together and would occasionally go to Denver for a week or so. Thus, the air of desertion around the ranch was not unusual, but after what appeared to be a longer than normal absence, the neighbors grew suspicious--something wasn’t right! So the concerned neighbors investigated. They found the house vacant, but noticed the dinner table was set for three! Only two people lived here, who was the third place setting for? That will forever remain a mystery! Then, the neighbors went to the barn and found the normally secured barn door was broken into. Upon entering they discovered the bodies of the lady and the child. It was believed they were attacked in the house and sought refuge in the barn, but met with death there. The murder remains an unsolved mystery of that era. The Lennox family homesteaded northwest of the Ice Lake trailhead and the Young family established their sheep ranch about a mile north of Ice Lake. Each family kept detailed accounts of their efforts to settle in the Wild West. Mary Eliza Young kept a diary that chronicled how the Young homestead was established and in 1872 14-year old Elizabeth Lennox also kept a journal. Mary and her youth-

ful neighbor to the south captured their family’s life as they settled, prospered and persevered as Colorado pioneers. We’ve reached a mile north of the bridge that crosses over West Monument Creek. From here, the trail has some twisty and hilly sections and soon it will turn east and then in a mile or so the trail joins the rail bed of the Santa Fe Railroad and heads north to Palmer Lake. This is Kinner Country! In this area in 1944-46 time frame John and Emma Kinner lived in a two story late 1800s vintage home with their three children Dixie, Pat and Janet. The Kinner pioneers came to Colorado in 1850 and have homesteaded and ranched the Front Range from here to Castle Rock. The Kinner sisters still live in Colorado. Dixie lives in Denver and Pat and Janet lives in Colorado Springs. In February 1944 John Kinner III purchased a 500-acre ranch with a two-story home on it that was greatly in need of repair. This home was built in the late 1800s by then Edgerton’s Justice of the Peace E. G. Moon. The Kinner girls would sometimes refer to it as the “Moon” house. The Kinners lived a short while in West Husted while the “Moon” home was fixed up. John was a teacher and coach in Monument at Big Red, the school building located west of the I-25/Monument interchange. He was a well-respected coach and teacher and often spoke at teacher forums statewide. John and Emma quickly organized quite a ranching operation. They leased an additional 200 acres on what is now the AFA airfield. They ran cattle, raised pigs and chickens and grew corn and beans as crops. John would milk 30 cows in the morning and sell the milk to Meadow Gold Creamery in Colorado Springs. Running a ranch and teaching in Monument made for long days for John Kinner, but he was blessed with a bride and three girls whose work ethic and dedication matched his. Let’s learn more about life on the Kinner ranch.

The Rio Grande railroad formed the western boundary of the Kinner ranch and as the coal trains would rumble by, coal would bounce out and land along the tracks. This was a great source of fuel for cooking and heating. The family would head out to the tracks and collect the donations. Once a train derailed in front of the Kinner’s home. This not only provided some extra coal, but some of the cars were full of live sheep and others were transporting potatoes. The Kinners helped railroad workers round up the sheep and get them back in the cars. The coal and potatoes remained for the Kinner family use. Along the tracks was the Kinner pigpen. Emma canned apples and on one occasion, mixed the peelings with the rye in the “slop” barrel. The garbage fermented and turned alcoholic. The pigs got a bit tipsy as they fed upon this apple beer elixir. After Dixie fed the pigs that morning and watched the results, she was horrified to think that she had done something awful to the pigs. The chicken coop was north of the house and each spring the Kinners would purchase and raise 500 chicks and grow them for the family meat and for sale. After one particularly heavy rain, they found the chicks, cold and wet, floating on top of the water. This prompted the family to bring all the chicks into the house to be dried and warmed around the kitchen cook stove. The chicks were soon peeping again. Being the oldest, Dixie was often out with dad doing chores. Janet was a toddler during these times and observed Dixie and Pat doing chores like bringing in the cows in the evening. Onen evening the cows wandered over near where I-25 is today which was Highway 87 and the east boundary of the ranch. After rounding up the herd, a Santa Fe train came by and tooted its whistle, thus scattering the cows. Dixie and Pat returned home very

The Enchanted Florist &

Cottage Treasures

719-488-1116 All OccAsiOn FlOrist Weddings, cOrpOrAte & schOOls

Your Home Town Florist MOnuMent plAzA lOcAtiOn

481 Hwy 105 #1, Monument CO 80132

Quality Import Service

Subaru Specialists • Honda • Toyota Since 2004, underneath Quality Import Service

707 County Line Road | Palmer Lake


Young’s “heap biscuits” served to the Indians? Well, Emma Kinner had her version of “heap biscuits.” She was a homemaker extraordinaire! She baked fresh bread and made homemade butter and chokecherry jam. There were an abundance of chokecherries, gooseberries and wild plums along the creek. At times a person wandering along the tracks would catch a whiff of Emma’s freshly baked bread, and perhaps like the Indians with the Young’s, would come to the door for a piece to munch on. Items from the garden and meat from butchering were canned since there was no refrigeration. Killing and plucking a chicken for the evening meal was normal. Emma’s Singer treadle sewing machine was used to make clothes for the rag dolls she’d make for her girls, and eventually she’d teach them to sew on this machine that is still in the family today. She’d even make the girls’ clothing including underwear made from printed flour sacks. There were plenty of adventures in and around the Kinner house. A trip to the outhouse could mean running into the giant Rhode Island Red Rooster. Named after a well-known fighter of the day, Joe Lewis would get all riled up and stand tall and spread his wings to protect his territory as the girls would seek to make their way to the potty! They would carry a broom or long stick to shoo Joe away as he often tried to circle around back and knock the girls down. Once he even sent Emma (mom) to her knees with an apron full of eggs she had just gathered. Quite a mean fellow Joe the rooster was. One Sunday mother saw fit for him to end up as dinner! Not very tender eating. The old house had honey bees in the walls and John made a hole in the wall to harvest the honey. That was indeed a yummy good deal for the Kinners. However, Pat would disagree. The hole in the wall was in her bedroom and she felt the bees liked chasing her the most! Fetching canned goods



2 014

upset and cow-less. Dad had to saddle-up Molly, the family horse, and go fetch the Kinner herd. As introduced earlier, the home had no electricity or plumbing. That was to come to this area after World War II. The home was heated with an iron cook stove in the kitchen and a potbelly stove that stood in the living room. If not enough coal was gathered from along the tracks, they would purchase coal from the Pikeview Coal Mine, which was located where the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame is located today. The upstairs area was heated by the chimney tfrom the potbelly stove. “Plumbing” consisted of pumping and carrying water from the well. Facilities included an outside one-seater and a chamber pot under the bed. Lights were a kerosene lamp and candles. The Kinners went to bed with the chickens and arose with them, thus lights were not a big deal to them. Washing was done by scrub-board in a tub on the kitchen floor. The tub also served as the bathtub and many times a shivering Kinner child stood in front of the kitchen cook stove drying after a cold bath. Pumping water was not only accomplished for household purposes, but also for filling the cold vat where milk cans were kept cool and for watering the garden. The Kinner girls’ memories of contact with the outside world were special times sitting with dad in the car listening to the radio, especially sports events, and taking trips to town and the county sale barn. The Kinner girls all agree and emphasize that life at their home was one of adventure, and they were not the least bit deprived. It was the way country life was back then. Every cow, cat, dog, and chicken were named by the children and were family pets. Weather permitting, the girls were in Monument Creek, often times bathing in their “birthday suits”, or catching fish with a worm on a safety pin. Dixie and Pat Kinner relaxing out at the ranch. Do you recall Mary and Marian

from the cellar by an outside dugout type entrance was a daily chore that could mean meeting a rattlesnake on the stairs. With cows all around the ranch, it was not unusual for a cow to peer into a window. Janet’s toddler memory of monsters looking into the window was most likely Miss Moo or another of the family cows checking up on her. As you can see, the life of a Kinner child was tough by today’s modern accommodations. But this close-knit family worked hard and enjoyed the wilds of northern Colorado Springs. This article captures but a snap shot of the adventures, the hard work, and joy of being a Kinner. John III and his wife Emma were fabulous parents and showcased love and a work ethic that rubbed off on their girls. In 1946 John III and his dad John II, “Grandpa” to the girls, cut the lumber and started to build a new house east of the “Moon” home very close to where our running trail intersects the Santa Fe railroad bed. Things were looking good for teacher John as he was going to start teaching science and math at North Junior High in Colorado Springs that fall. However, the father-son duo would not get to complete the job together. It seems a bit of the “flu” was going around the Kinners and John could not shake its effects and the tightness in his chest. Dixie remembers clearly as she was 13 years old then and recalls doing the morning chores and peering at the morning star Venus as she closed the barn doors knowing something was very wrong with her dad. Her mom would have her walk north along the tracks to Husted to get her Aunt Alice to come and help get daddy to the hospital. That would be the last time Dixie, Pat and Janet would see their dad. John would succumb to polio six weeks later. During his hospitalization, the girls relocated to their grandparent’s home in East Husted and remember sadly the night all three were joined in their bed by their mom and learned that their dad would not be coming home. In the area we now run, and with special AFA Security Forces permission to leave the trail, I have explored the Kinner’s ranch area and watched ladies who are getting on in years transform back to being little girls romping around their ranch. Emma owned the ranch until it was purchased in 1955 by the State of Colorado and given to the US Government for the AF Academy. Though wiped away by the construction of the AF Academy in the late 1950s, there are hints and evidence of a home and family that leap forth.

18 2014 GU ID E

Visit the Air Force Academy by Danny Summers

One of the most iconic structures in the Tri-Lakes area, the Cadet Chapel is a frequent stopping point for visitors and was named a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 2004.

Visitors to the Tri-Lakes region won’t have to look far to experience the wonder and awe of the United States Air Force Academy. One of three military academies in the United States – the others are West Point (Army) and Annapolis (Navy) – the Air Force allows visitors to wonder its grounds and experience its vast array of landmarks and athletic venues. Much of the credit for the Academy goes to former President Dwight D. Eisenhower. By January 1950, after serving in two World Wars, Eisenhower – then president of Columbia University – headed the Service Academy Board. Continued PAGE 20

by Rob Carrigan

7 Greenland Open Space Never has an eighteenth-century marvel been so underrated as the architecture, the vistas, the dog park, and the local brush

6 Phoebes Arch “Elephant Rock” Now owned by four different private owners, but still viewable from U.S. High-

5 Upper Reservoir via trail past the Lower Reservoir Reservoirs and water history are an important part of Palmer Lake. Sam Hackett was described in Marion Savage Sabin’s 1957 book, “Palmer Lake: A Historical Narrative,” as a young Scotch-

with history, as the area along trails out in the Greenland Open Space. Locally, you would be remiss in considering “green’ activities without including a healthy dose of the town of Greenland and the Greenland Ranch Open Space system. The system establishes a relatively untouched and contiguous stretch of ground all the way from Monument Hill to Larkspur. The open space was patched together from a number of large parcels including the original townsite of Greenland and now encompasses roughly 21,000 acres on both sides of Interstate 25 that will always remain ‘green’ with abundant wildlife and working ranches because of conservation easements.

Basically, that leaves it looking much like it did when the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad arrived in 1871. Douglas County and Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO), which generates funds from the Colorado Lottery, have shared the cost and ponied up nearly $20 million to pay for elements of the conservation effort. “The name of Greenland was given to a magnificent stand of timber a few miles north of Palmer Lake,” according to a Sept. 13, 1973 account in the Douglas County News, by Mrs. John Marr, member of a local pioneer family. It can be reached by traveling on County Line Road from Palmer Lake or the norther reaches are accessed via the Greenland off ramp from I-25.

way 105 in Palmer Lake, as well as several county roads and several local hiking trails, Phoebe’s Arch or Elephant Rock. “The views from this point amount the most beautiful in Colorado. To the west rise the precipitous walls of Mt. Hermon, Mt. Cannon, Chautauqua Crest and Mt. Thompson, towering 1,500 to 2,000 feet above the valley, to the east, the curious ‘Elephant Rock,’ Phoebe’s Arch, the Lion Head and castellated summit of Monument Creek, with its far-reaching, pine-clad mesas and frequent exposures of brilliantly -tinted rocks of fantastic forms. To the north lies Palmer Lake, and valley of Plum Creek, filled with numerous buttes, mesas and flat-

topped ridges separated by gentle, undulating valleys, The gentler slopes are carpeted with a growth of silvery-green herbage, that contrast admirably with clumps of oak brush and dark pine forests, and with the warmer tints of the sandstone and granite exposures. In the early summer the hillsides are often a mass of purple-blue, or gold from the acres of abundant mountain flowers. the scenery of this vicinity differs from that of the points along the foothills, in the substitution of mesas and buttes for the usual hogback configuration,” wrote Geo. L. Cannon, Jr. who identified himself as a lecturer at the Rocky Mountain Chautauqua in 1892.

Irishman looking for a way to get up in the world. Among his early duties there, was pumping water from Palmer Lake for the engines. Because of his general standoffishness and other reasons related to economics, he eventually decided to reside elsewhere. At the time of her writing in the 1950s, the ruin of his abode could still be seen on the very edge of the field to west of the Little Log Church. In order to augment the amount of water available in Palmer Lake to use to fill the 12 or so daily train engines that required water to push over the hump, Weiss, as the section boss for railroad, asked Hackett to dig a ditch. The ditch diverted water from Monument Creek by use of a small dam and reservoir and solved the water problem for the railroad at the time. “On December 29, 1882, Samuel Hackett

filed in the Office of Clerk and Recorder of El Paso County an affidavit describing his ditch and claiming water rights for domestic, mechanical and irrigation purposes,” wrote Lloyd McFarling in footnotes to Sabin’s book in December of 1956. “He said the ditch was constructed about the year 1872. Two other ditches were also important in establishing water rights, which were later acquired by the Town of Palmer Lake. One was the Anchor Ditch, dug in 1867; and the other was the Monument Ditch dug in 1868 and enlarged in 1875. These ditches were down-stream from the Hackett Ditch. Their headgates were within the limits of the town as established at the time of incorporation in 1889,” wrote McFarling. Continued PAGE 20

19 GU ID E

tory, others have developed their own lists. The Seven Natural Wonders, developed by Cable News Network in 1990s, The Seven Modern Wonders, developed by the American Society of Civil Engineers, and even the “New” Seven Wonders. But like most secondary contrivances, the second string is just that.  To remedy that by naming a new list: The Seven Wonders of the Tri-Lakes Area and selection criteria follows.

2 014


The Seven Wonders of

The Seven Wonders of the World has historically been a listing of seven sites known to the Ancient Greeks as the most notable locales in their known world. The originals:  The Colossus of Rhodes,  The Great Pyramid of Giza,  The Hanging Gardens of Babylon,  The Lighthouse of Alexandria,  The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, The Statue of Zeus at Olympia, The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus. All fine attractions. Over the years, and down through his-


Air Force Academy Continued from PAGE 18

2014 GU ID E

Following the recommendation of the Board, Congress passed legislation in 1954 to begin the construction of the Air Force Academy, and President Eisenhower signed it into law on April 1 of that year. The Academy campus covers 18,500 acres and is open to visitors from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The Barry Goldwater Visitor Center serves as the gateway to the Academy, providing information on its history and cadet life to hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. The Visitor Center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The facility opened its doors in June 1986. The 31,600-square-foot building contains exhibits, a snack bar and a gift shop. A one-third-mile paved nature trail east of the facility allows visitors to walk to the Cadet Chapel. A 14-minute movie highlighting the Academy experience is shown throughout the day in a 250-seat theater. The Cadet Chapel is a frequent stopping point for visitors. The Chapel was named a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 2004. The most striking aspect of the Chapel is its row of 17 spires. The structure is a tubular steel frame of 100 identical tetrahedron; each 75 feet long, weighing five tons, and enclosed with clear aluminum panels. The tetrahedrons are spaced one-foot apart, creating gaps in the framework that are filled with oneinch-thick colored glass. The tetrahedrons comprising the spires are filled by triangular clear aluminum panels, while the tetrahedrons between the spires are filled with a mosaic of colored glass in aluminum frame. The Cadet Chapel is 150 feet high, 280 feet long and 84 feet wide. The Cadet area contains numerous aeronautical research facilities. The cadet social center is Arnold Hall, located just outside the Cadet Area. It houses a 3,000-seat theater, a ballroom, a number of lounges, and dining and recreation facilities for cadets and visitors. Harmon Hall is the primary administration building, which houses the offices of the Superintendent. The Cadet Area also contains extensive athletic facilities for use by cadets participating in intercollegiate athletics, intramural athletics, physical education classes and other physical training. The cadet Fieldhouse is the home to Clune Arena, the ice hockey rink and an indoor track, which doubles as an indoor practice facility for a number of sports, including football. Falcon Stadium, located outside of the Cadet Area, is the football field and site of the graduation ceremonies. Whether you are a visitor to the Tri-Lakes area or a long-time resident, a visit to the Academy is always a fun and worthwhile experience.

Seven Wonders Continued from PAGE 19

In time, Hackett eventually left the employ of the railroad, purchased Weiss’ property and turned to raising potatoes. His prowess at that activity helped create an industry —and a dominant one at that — in this area for several years and earned him the title “the potato king.” He became very prosperous. Much of his success in potato farm-

4 Fox Run Regional Park

Some folks blame the Russians for the end of the fur trade in the Tri-Lakes area. “In 1946 the fox farms were a good thriving business,” wrote Lucille Lavelett. “The United States made a trade agreement with Russia; Russia traded their furs to the U.S. for a metal we had, to be used to harden steel. The fur market soon became flooded with Russian furs. There was no sale for U.S. furs, and all the fur farmers had to get

3 Duck pond behind Monument Library

Woodmoor Developer Steve Arnold, also described as a former Air Force captain who didn’t even play golf, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1956, and was a native of Los Angeles. “After graduating from the Naval Academy, Arnold reportedly chose the Air Force and spent his early military career at Lowery Air Force Base in Denver. Knowing the Air Force Academy would be located south of Monument, Arnold purchased 60 acres of land in the Black Forest because he thought it might

ing business, however, was heavily reliant on his ability to irrigate. His irrigation, of course, relied mostly on “Hackett’s Ditch. Water rights, water itself, and its important role in the area, live on in the Upper and Lower Reservoir above Palmer Lake. The reservoirs can be reached by going to the end of Glenway Avenue in Palmer Lake. out of the business.” According to Lavelett, the Baptist Road fox farm had eight units of fenced pens that accommodated 3,500 breeding foxes. “In 1937, the farm shipped 200,000 furs to eastern markets.” Other factors might share some of the blame for the collapse of the fur industry here. Rising social criticism (Doris Day, the star of “A Touch of Mink”, turned animal rights activist led the Hollywood charge), the sluggish economy, and the advent of synthetic fur all were factors. But many blame the Russians. Fox Run Regional Park, a jewel in the regional survives today as a namesake and can be reached by traveling CO-83 north and turn left on Old North Gate road. At stop sign turn right on the Roller Coaster road. After 1.5 miles turn left on Stella Drive and the Fox Run Park entrance will be on your right. be wise to own land near the AFA. “He spent the 1958-1960 period with a flying squadron and in August, 1960, was transferred to the AFA as a freshman Gymnastics coach. “Meanwhile, he kept adding to his holdings in the Black Forest, nursing the idea that someday their would be a need for a community in the area for the above-average income group. ‘It was just a belief,’ he says.” By 1965, Arnold had already sold more than 200 home sites in the price range of $4,000 to $11,000., and the development was well on its way. Part of the development was the retail area that became a grocery store and other shops known as Woodmoor Center. The grocery store has since become the Monument Branch of the Pikes Peak Library District. At the back of the center, behind Pikes Peak Brewing, resides a duck pond that has become known by ducks and geese, from near far, as a gathering place.

Limbach Park

Nearly 600 men, women, dogs and children gather in Limbach Park on some summer Wednesdays to chase away any summertime blues with some Blues, or Jazz, or

1 Maquireville

people who danced in the street and enjoyed themselves. “We had a great time,” Woodworth said. Woodworth said the following year they moved the concert to Limbach Park where they have been held since then. The concerts have grown over the years of course. From bake sales and food sales, Woodworth said the concerts raised $13,000. The money was donated to the town to help pay for the construction of the band shell. Admission is free and concert goers can bring lawn chairs and blankets. “It’s a great family event. They can enjoy hotdogs and homemade cookies and twohours of fun,” Woodworth said.

Jim and Donna Maguire collect things: cars, wagons, railroads, windmills, phone booths, antiques, stories and friends. In fact, they have the contents of an entire town tucked, here and there, into a few acres in Monument. Since the early 1980s, or before, they have been working on creating the town of Maguireville. Their card says they are co-mayors. With barns bursting at the seams, full of items from the last century, Maguireville has developed into a world-class museum of 20th Century Americana. 10,000 pound

safes, quarantine huts from old TB sanitariums, well equipment, bells, and even a phone booth or two, make up parts of the collection. An old wooden booth from Southern Colorado was traded for an Overhead Door installation. And British phone booth is there as well, with a story of its own. Maguireville is privately owned and only available by appointment, but external structures can be seen from Highway 105. I wonder — if there are other such wonders.

e n Tir w o t e Homo Center r u o t Y & Au Certified ASE Master Technicians

Serving the area for 27 years and counting

Service All Makes & Models Engine Diagnostic • Brakes • Tires Shocks & Struts • Heating/AC Steering • Transmission Diagnostic Exhaust Systems Scheduled Maintenance & Much More!

Don't let your child walk away from their greatest opportunity to experience the MonuMent AcAdeMy difference! • Small class sizes • Uniforms • Character Development Program • Art, Music, P.E., Library, Technology and Spanish for every k-8 student • Continuity of curriculum from Preschool - 8th Grade • Loving environment that welcomes parents • Unique Middle School program options

HURRY! Enroll Today Limited Seats

We would be happy to offer you a tour. Come by and see our great school, staff and students. Limited space and time hurry!

call now at 719-481-1950


10% Discount off labor


279 N. Beacon Lite Road

2 014


Country, for the continuing Concerts in the Park series. Concerts in the Park is one of the many events put together by the Historic Monument Merchants Association. This will be the 13th season for the series this year. The concerts originally started with two people on Washington Street with a guitar and a fiddle. Woody Woodworth, owner of High Country Home Brew and Gifts and founder of the event, said he wanted to bring live music to the street so people could enjoy, so he brought his guitar and another man brought his fiddle and they put on a performance. That first year, the events drew in about 60



1150 Village Ridge Point - Monument (Located east of Knollwood just off Hwy 105)


Hitting the links in the Tri-Lakes region

2014 GU ID E by Danny Summers

There’s nothing quite like rounding up a few friends on a warm spring or summer day and heading to the golf course for a relaxing time on the links. There are a handful of courses in the Tri-Lakes region to explore. Each has a unique feel and flavor. Among the most popular private courses in the state is the Eisenhower Golf Club – Blue and Silver courses. Located on the grounds of the famed Air

Force Academy in northwest Colorado Springs, Eisenhower is named in honor of our nation’s 34th president – Dwight David Eisenhower. A former war hero, Eisenhower was a frequent visitor to Colorado; mostly because his lovely wife, Mamie, had roots here. She lived in Colorado Springs as a child from 1902 to 1905, and then the family moved to Denver. On July 8, 1963, President Eisenhower personally dedicated the Blue Course

Serving all of your Auto Glass Needs!

Monument Kiwanis Club Club Monument Hill Kiwanis

And Monument Hill Foundation Foundation

Serving Community Serving Youth, Youth, Building Community New Members Welcome 719-233-6754 New Members and Corporate Sponsorships Call 719-233-6754

by hitting the ceremonial first shot off the No. 1 tee. The driver Ike used is prominently displayed in the Eisenhower Room. The Eisenhower Golf Course is a modern scenic facility with two 18-hole courses: the championship Blue, and the stunning Silver. Named the top golf course in the Department of Defense by Travel and Leisure Golf magazine, and a member of USA Today’s Top 100 courses in the nation.

100% mobile – We come to you!

$20.00 off or free windshield wipers with coupon.

719-488-5599 or 303-663-0600 A+

Eisenhower Golf Club (Blue and Silver)

23 GU ID E

Tri-Lakes Area Golf Courses

Air Force Academy • Private • Built in 1963 (Blue) and 1976 (Silver)

The Club at Flying Horse North Gate • Private • Built in 2005

Monument Hill Country Club Woodmoor • Private • Built in 1969

King’s Deer Golf Club Monument • Public • Built in 1999 Closed as of this publication

Gleneagle Golf Course Gleneagle • Public • Built in 1972 Closed as of this publication

2 014

The Blue Course is a championship layout designed by Robert Trent Jones. It measures 7,301 yards from the championship tees and is listed in the top 100 designed golf courses built prior to 1963 in the United States. It is usually among the top 10 courses in Colorado ranked annually by Golf Digest magazine. The Silver Course, designed by Frank Hummel, opened in 1976 and is a demanding scenic course where a premium is placed on accuracy rather than length. It measures 6,519 yards from the championship tees. Both courses demand shotmaking and great putting to score well. In addition to open play, a full tournament schedule is slated for spring, summer and fall months. The Club at Flying Horse in North Gate is also a private course. It was built in 2005 out of the heart of a legendary landscape. The 18-hole course was designed by golf legend Tom Weiskopf. It has a European resort-style feel with bloodlines that rival those of the greatest venues in the world. Monument Hill Country Club is also private. The 18hole course features 6,709 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 71.5 and it has a slope rating of 131. The course was designed by J. Press Maxwell, ASGCA, and opened in 1969. The course offers unparalleled views of Pikes Peak and is known for its long, tree-lined fairways that challenge even the most seasoned golfers. As of this publication, the two public courses in the TriLakes region are closed. King’s Deer closed down in February 2014. Gleneagle shut down in November 2013. Check back with the Tribune for further updates on the status of these courses.


Tri-Lakes Area Events


Palmer Lake Historical Society Lecture Series....................Third Thursdays Feb. – Nov. Black Forest Arts & Crafts Guild Spring Show.............................................................TBA Tri-Lakes Women’s Club Pine Forest Antiques, Home Décor and Garden Show ................. April 26-27 Monument Art Hop ....Third Thursdays, May 15-Sept. 18 Western Museum of Mining & Industry Picnic and Planes ............................................... May 28 Concerts in the Park .......Wednesdays in June and July


Pikes Peak Gem and Mineral Show ...............June 6-8 Tri-Lakes Cruisers Benefit Car Show ............... June 8 Palmer Lake Father’s Day Ice Cream Social ..June 15 Monument Fourth of July Parade Monument Fourth of July Street Fair Monument Lake Fireworks Display .................... July 4 Western Museum of Mining & Industry Haunt Fest ..................................... Aug. 8-9 Tri-Lakes Women’s Club Wine and Roses & More ........................................TBA Black Forest Arts & Crafts Guild Fall Show ........TBA Front Range Open Studios ...........................Sept. 13-14 Palmer Lake Art Group Christmas Craft Fair........................................Oct. 4-6. Western Museum of Mining & Industry Haunted Mine ...................... Sept. 19-Nov. 2 Monument Safe Trick or Treat ...........................Oct. 31 Small Town Christmas ..............Nov. 29, Dec. 6, Dec. 13 Palmer Lake Art Group Spring Art Show ........................................... mid-March

The Western Museum of Mining and Industry 225 Northgate Blvd Colorado Springs, CO 80921 719-488-0880 WMMI has a variety of events that offer something for the whole family! Tours begin at 10am and 1pm and include gold panning, hands-on exhibits and operating steam engines! Check our website for special events happening at the museum at:; including the Pikes Peak Gem Show in June and the Harvest Festival in October!

Who to Contact Auto Licensing & Registration

El Paso County Vehicle Registration 719-520-6240 8830 N Union Colorado Springs, CO Driver’s License Office 719-594-8701 2447 N Union Colorado Springs, CO

City Government

Palmer Lake Town Hall 719-481-2953 42 Valley Crescent PO Box 208 Palmer Lake, CO 80133 Palmer Lake Town Council: Nikki McDonald, Mayor Dr. Michael Maddox Richard Kuehster Shana Ball Bob Grado Mike Patrizi Monument Town Hall 719-481-2954 645 Beacon Lite Road Monument, CO 80132 Board of Trustees: Travis Easton, Mayor Jeffrey Kaiser Stan Gingrich John Howe Becki Tooley Jeffrey Bornstein Rafael Dominguez

Community Resources Tri-Lakes Cares 719-481-4864 235 Jefferson Street Monument, CO 80132

SHARE COLORADO 800-375-4452

Fire Departments Emergency 911

Tri-Lakes Monument Fire Protection District 719-484-0911 Non Emergency 166 2nd Street Monument, CO 80132 Palmer Lake Fire Department 719-481-2902 Non Emergency 12 S Valley Crescent Palmer Lake, CO 80133 Wescott Fire Protection District 719-488-8680 Non Emergency 15415 Gleneagle Drive Colorado Springs, CO 80921

Police Departments Emergency 911

Monument Police 719-481-3253 Non Emergency 645 Beacon Lite Rd Monument, CO 80132 Palmer Lake Police 719-481-2934 Non Emergency 12 S Valley Crescent Palmer Lake, CO 8013 Woodmoor Public Safety 719-488-3600 Non Emergency 1691 Woodmoor Dr Monument, CO 80132 El Paso County Sheriff 719-390-5555 Non Emergency 101 W Costilla St Colorado Springs, CO 80903


Monument Library Pikes Peak Library District 719-488-2370 1706 Lake Woodmoor Dr Monument, CO 80132 Palmer Lake Library Pikes Peak Library District 719-481-2587 66 Lower Glenway Palmer Lake, CO 80133


County Government

Academy District #20 District Office 719-234-1200 1110 Chapel Hills Dr Colorado Springs, CO 80920

El Paso County Commissioner 719-520-6411 Darryl Glen, District 1

Lewis Palmer District #38 District Office 719-488-4700 146 Jefferson St Monument, CO 80132

El Paso County Administration 719-520-7276 200 S Cascade, Suite 100 Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Senior Citizen Services

Health Advocacy Partnership 719-464-6873 Free Transportation Mountain Community Transportation for Seniors 719-488-0076

State Legislature Senator Kent Lambert, District 9 303-866-4835 Representative Amy Stephens, District 19 303-866-2348 Representative Bob Gardner, District 20 303-866-2191

United States Congress Senator Michael Bennett 202-224-5852

Doug Lamborn 1125 Kelly Johnson Blvd. Suite 330 Colorado Springs, CO 80920 719-520-0055

Senior Safety Handyman Services 719-488-0076

Black Hills Energy 888-890-5554 24 hour emergency-800-694-8989

YMCA Senior Services 719-481-8728 17250 Jackson Creek Parkway Monument, CO 80132

Triview Metropolitan Dist 719-488-6868 16055 Old Forest Pt. Suite 300 Monument, CO 80132


State Government

Monument Water Department 719-884-8037 645 Beacon Lite Road Monument, CO 80132

Governor John Hickenlooper 303-866-2471

Monument Sanitation Department 719-481-4886 130 E 2nd Street Monument, CO 80132

Places of


Governor’s Office 800-283-7215

Palmer Lake Sanitation Dist 719-481-2732 120 Middle Glenway Palmer Lake, CO 80133 Palmer Lake Water Dept 719-481-2953 42 Valley Crescent Palmer Lake, CO 80133

Senator Mark Udall 202-224-5941

Senior Center 719-757-1423 1300 Higby Road at Lewis Palmer High School Monument, CO 80132

Mountain View Electric Association 719-495-2283 11140 E Woodmen Rd Falcon, CO 80831

Woodmoor Water and Sanitation 719-488-2525 1845 Woodmoor Dr Monument, CO 80132

Visitor and Newcomer Information Tri-Lakes Chamber of Commerce 719-481-3282 300 Hwy 105 Monument, CO 80132 Welcome Wagon 719-488-2119

Monument Hill Church,

Monument Community Presbyterian Church


‘For Gods glory and our joy in Christ’

Sunday Worship 9:15 a.m. with Praise Team 11:00 a.m. with Chancel Choir 10:00 a.m. Summer Worship Call for information about Children, Youth, Family, Education, Discipleship and Mission Opportunities

238 Third Street Monument, CO 80132 719.481.3902

2 014

St Peter Catholic School 719-481-1855 124 First St Monument, CO 80132



Sunday Worship 10:30 am

Wednesday - Awana 6:30 pm

Sundays at the Tri-Lakes YMCA

10:00 AM 17250 Jackson Creek Parkway


Bible Study & Prayer meetings YOU are welcome!

18725 Monument Hill Rd Monument, CO 80132 (719) 481-2156

2014 Tickets on Sale Now 591-SOXX Monday: Tuesday: Thursday:

Kids Eat Free Presented by $2 Tuesday Presented by craft brew Thursday Military Appreciation


Friday Night Fireworks

Saturday: Giveaways, Theme Nights, Entertainers Sunday: 50 cent Hot Dogs Giveaways

ROOFING CONTRACTOR • ROOFING REPAIR • ROOFING • GUTTERS If you are looking for a roofer in El Paso and Douglas County, and much more. Our workers are highly experienced and skilled.

Over 31 Years Experience


• Commercial & Residential Commercial • Licensed & Insured • Metal Tiles • All Roof Repairs • Shake Repair • DECRA stone Coated Steel Roofing • EPDM- Flat Roof • Snow Removal Off Rooftops • Gutter Cleaning & Replacement • Fire Stone/Genflex certified flat roofing specialist.


.com • 7025 Hillbeck Dr.

• Cabinetry for ALL budgets • Experienced Design Team

630 W. Verijo Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80905 530 E. 8th St., Monument, CO 80132

• Custom color matching • Custom cabinet manufacturing

Service • Selection • Value

719 - 481 - 8222


Tri lakes Guide 2014  
Tri lakes Guide 2014