ELEMENTARY KIDS & FAMILIES
Did You Know?
This resource is designed to allow your family to have time in God’s Word BEFORE your children attend church. Because God’s plan is for parents to be the primary spiritual nurturers of their children’s faith, we want YOU to be the one to introduce this part of The Big God Story to them.
• Joseph and Mary were betrothed when they learned that Mary was pregnant with Jesus.
For additional support in spiritual parenting and to learn more about creating transforming environments in your home be sure to pick up HomeFront: A Spiritual Parenting Resource from your church or access the app for your iPhone, iPad, or Android devices.
• A betrothal was a formal engagement that could only be broken with a divorce. When Joseph discovered that Mary was pregnant, he considered divorcing her quietly in order to protect her reputation.
God Is Counselor Part of The Big God Story Matthew 1:18–25; Luke 2:1–5
God cared for Joseph. He acted as Counselor in Joseph’s life and showed him what to do. Because of God’s care and counsel, Joseph was able to care for both Mary and God’s Son, the Savior of the world. God also counsels us. He is always there to guide, instruct, and lead us in the way we should go.
© 2012 David C. Cook. TruResources are developed in partnership with ROCKHARBOR Church and a national network of family and children’s ministry leaders. All rights reserved.
Your child may consider outside opinions and advice more heavily when making decisions. As his circle of influence continues to expand, remind him to seek the counsel of godly influences in his life.
• The angel of the Lord came to Joseph in a dream. This encounter gave Joseph the confidence to continue with his plans to wed Mary. • Mary and Joseph traveled to Bethlehem to take part in a census that required them to register in Joseph’s ancestral home. Remember Verse for the environment of LOVE AND RESPECT
Teachable Moments After reading Scripture, discuss the following together: • How do you think Joseph felt when he first heard that Mary was pregnant?
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30
Just for Fuynat bedtime. Tell
Read this part of The Big God Stor about an angel your children you’re going to read e he slept. Then appearing to Joseph in a dream whil ren if they think child read Matthew 1:18–25. Ask your He should do about t wha ut abo ed cern Joseph was con el coming to reassure marrying Mary. Explain that the ang cares about the and us s love God us Joseph tells things that might be things that concern us. Discuss the together, asking Pray ren. child r you or concerning you ld have you do. wou He t God to counsel you in wha
Parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers, and extended family members continue to be the key people in your child’s life. Remind your child that God can use each of these people to provide counsel and guidance.
• Do you think Joseph‘s decision to stay with Mary was influenced by God’s counsel through his dream?
• When and how has God been a counselor in your life?
Blessing For more information about blessing your child see the Blessing section in HomeFront: A Spiritual Parenting Resource.
A blessing to pray over your child: “(Child’s name), may you know that God is your Counselor. Remember that He guides, instructs, and leads you in the path He has planned for your life.”