06172022 NEWS, SPORT AND BUSINESS

Page 1

WEEKEND FRIDAY

Chocolatey Pretzel McFlurry

HIGH 86ºF LOW 77ºF

i’m lovin’ it!

Monday,

February

CARS! CARS!

8, 2021

The Tribune Established

Being Bound To

Swear To The Dogmas

1903

Of No Master

The Tribune L A T E S T

Volume: 119 No.142, June 17, 2022

N E W S

tise Call

To Adver

-2351

601-0007 or 502

Starting at

$33.60

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

ed

VAT includ

Established 1903

O N

T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M

Biggest And Best!

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

TARGET TIMING OF RAPE IN MARRIAGE

Churches agree step to protect separating couples is necessary By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net BAHAMAS Christian Council president Bishop Delton Fernander says the church will support efforts by government to tighten the law to provide protection against rape for spouses in the period between legal separation and divorce. Mr Fernander said it was the clergy’s understanding that martial rape frequently occurs during that time and

the church would stand behind tightening the law to ensure there are penalties for this kind of abuse. He was asked what his personal views on the matter were as the council waits for a meeting with the government on how to tackle the issue. The discussions were recently foreshadowed by Social Services and Urban Development Minister Obie Wilchcombe in the House of Assembly. SEE PAGE FOUR

PRIME Minister Phillip “Brave” Davis said yesterday the country’s unemployment rate is now below 20 percent, a major decrease from that of the pandemic, which he estimated at around 45 per cent. Mr Davis made the revelation in the House of Assembly yesterday as he defended the government’s

decision to decrease the budget allocation for the Department of Social Services from $81.4m to $48.7m in the upcoming fiscal year. The government has come under fire over the issue from the opposition in recent weeks. Yesterday, the Cat Island, Rum Cay and San Salvador MP explained the rationale behind the move and suggested the decision was made because the need for SEE PAGE THREE

By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

ACTING Commissioner Clayton Fernander says officials are working to build strong cases to present to the courts to successfully try crimes committed by gang members. In April, Attorney General Ryan Pinder said he has been asked by the Prime Minister to look at regional gang legislation to determine if a stand alone new law should be enacted or if changes should be made to the Penal Code. Asked for his recommendation to fight gang activity, Mr Fernander said that it was in progress. SEE PAGE FOUR

CONSUMERS WARNED TO KEEP PAYING INSURANCES

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

DAVIS CLAIMS JOBLESS RATE NOW BELOW 20% By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net

GANGLAND WARS AND TAKING IT TO COURTS

GOLDEN WARRIORS

THE GOLDEN State Warriors clinched the NBA finals last night - in a 103-90 victory over the Boston Celtics. The Warriors, including Bahamian Klay Thompson, right, won the series 4-2. See SPORTS section for more.

A BAHAMIAN insurer yesterday warned “there’s just no scope for a break” on property insurance prices that are “pretty close” to all-time highs following double-digit percentage increases last year. Tom Duff, Insurance Company of The Bahamas general manager, said Hurricane Dorian’s collective $1.89bn blow for the insurance industry, combined with forecasts of increasing frequency for such storms, mean Bahamians will have to live with high premium rates “for some considerable time”. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

CRUISE LINE MAY END UP OWNING PORT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

NASSAU Cruise Port’s $300m transformation will not be disrupted by a shipping giant’s interest in acquiring its controlling shareholder, chief executive Michael Maura asserted yesterday, adding: “That train left the station a long time ago.” Mr Maura said it was “business as usual” at

NASSAU CRUISE PORT Prince George Wharf from both an operational and construction perspective while Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) weighs up whether to

make a formal offer to fully acquire Global Ports Holding, the holder of a 49 percent equity stake in the cruise port. Global Ports Holding, majority-owned by Turkish businessman, Mehmet Kutman, its chairman, won the bidding process initiated by the former Minnis administration for the 25-year concession to redevelop and operate the cruise gateway that received more FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

DIANE PHILLIPS: WE LIVE IN THE AGE OF CONFUSION

SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.