06132022 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

MONDAY, JUNE 13, 2022

$6.35

$6.97

$7.39

$6.13

Bahamas ‘stands out like sore thumb’ over COVID entry testing

Doctors: $50m COVID test boost set for ease

• BHTA chief: ‘Can’t be the last man standing’ • Nation urged to ‘mirror’ US relaxation move • Tourism hopes pandemic ‘in rear view mirror’

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net TOURISM executives are warning The Bahamas “stands out like a sore thumb” over its continued COVID entry testing measures after the US eliminated such restrictions with effect from midnight yesterday. Robert Sands, the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s (BHTA) president, told Tribune Business the country “cannot be the last man standing” by still demanding that all visitors produce a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of travel when multiple Caribbean rivals have eradicated all such restrictions.

ROBERT SANDS He and other resort executives, speaking after the US move, said The Bahamas’ continued testing mandate threatens the competitiveness of its major industry and the post-COVID “recovery momentum” at a time when

SEE PAGE 5

DOCTORS Hospital yesterday confirmed it will adjust its COVID testing workforce to “match” the anticipated demand falloff after generating “north of $50m” in revenues from 1.3m such screenings over the past two years. Dennis Deveaux, the BISX-listed healthcare provider’s chief financial officer, told Tribune Business that apart from its Winton site, which was dismantled and removed within 24 hours last week, it intends to maintain all other COVID-related infrastructure despite the US eliminating the requirement for all international travellers to present a negative test upon entry. Medical industry sources over the weekend

DOCTORS HOSPITAL ENTRANCE

• Provider to ‘flex’ workforce after US decision • ‘Several hundred jobs’ likely to go sector-wide • Testing sites shuttered, lay-offs already begun

estimated that “several hundred jobs” will be eliminated by the US move, which means that returning American tourists as well as Bahamians heading north will no longer need to test within 24 hours of departure. Testing staff at other providers received notice their services are no longer required with effect from Friday, with the sector shrinking almost as rapidly as it emerged two years ago. Mr Deveaux, though, said Doctors Hospital had already been realigning its COVID testing staff in anticipation of the US move. He explained that none of the healthcare provider’s full-time staff will be impacted as the testing workforce featured mainly contract employees, and the impact on them would likely be minimised

SEE PAGE 6

COVID entry testing end ‘back on table’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister yesterday said eliminating The Bahamas’ COVID entry testing requirements will “come back on the table” for discussion this week in the wake of the US decision to eliminate such a mandate. Dr Michael Darville, minister of health and wellness, told Tribune Business that while the Government wanted to “do away with” all COVID-related travel restrictions and impediments - including the Health Travel Visa - it will

DR MICHAEL DARVILLE only do so “in a responsible and phased manner”. The Davis administration, he added, is especially concerned to avoid Jamaica’s

SEE PAGE 6

Subsidies jump despite $31.5m Bahamasair fall By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SUBSIDIES to loss-making state-owned enterprises (SOEs) increased by more than $25m during the nine months to end-March 2022 despite an even greater drop in taxpayer support for Bahamasair. The Government’s increased outlay, which accounted for 90 percent of the total sum provided for in the 2021-2022 Budget with three months of the fiscal year still left, came even though the national flag carrier consumed $31.5m less due to its return to a more normal flying schedule post-COVID.

The Ministry of Finance’s nine-month report, indicating that SOE subsidies will again exceed their Budget allocation, said: “Government subsidies, which include transfers to government-owned and/ or controlled enterprises that provide commercial goods and services to the public, widened by $21.3m (6.5 percent) to $351.3m, which equalled 90 percent of the Budget. “Subsidies to public non-financial corporations were higher by $25.3m (8.1 percent) at $335.9m. Additional transfers of $36.1m were disbursed to the Public Hospital Authority (PHA) as the country further

SEE PAGE 4


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
06132022 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu