business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, APRIL 29, 2022
$6.15
$6.33
$6.25
$6.33
‘World’s in worst state that I have ever seen’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SUPER Value’s principal has voiced hope that “we can do better than” the World Bank’s dire prediction of high food prices lasting for three years, but conceded: “The world is in the worst state I’ve ever seen.” Rupert Roberts told Tribune Business he believed price increases “will slow down” by 2022 year-end, reiterating that the 13-store chain is continuing to “hold back” hikes by up to six months due to advance ordering; carrying higher inventory levels than normal; and buying practices that are scouring the globe to achieve the best possible deal for Bahamian consumers. Affirming that Super Value and its Quality Supermarkets affiliate will not compromise quality in seeking to mitigate inflationary pressures,
LIGHTHOUSE POINT
• Roberts: ‘We can beat’ World Bank’s threeyear high prices • Says Super Value ‘holding back’ hikes by up to six months • ‘Cannot allow one cubic inch’ of container to be empty he added that the chain was “using our warehouse to the max” in stocking high product quantities in an effort to delay passing on ever-changing prices to clients. With buyers sourcing from “all over the place”, Mr Roberts said further pressures
were coming from increased packaging material and fuel costs, with the latter driving up shipping, trucking and all transportation and logisticsrelated costs. He added that Super Value was especially focused on managing its freight costs, revealing that “we cannot allow one cubic
RUPERT ROBERTS inch of the container to be empty” as it strives to achieve value for money. Disclosing that “we eat, sleep and drink about keeping prices down”, the Super Value chief said the burden on himself and other Bahamian merchants had been eased somewhat through consumers recognising that the
SEE PAGE 5
Vacation rental fears on ‘full package’ VAT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A BAHAMIAN vacation rental website developer yesterday voiced concern that the Government’s plans to impose VAT on “the full package” will undermine the industry’s affordability and competitiveness.
Iain Rodgers, owner of BahamasBNBs, told the Eleuthera Business Outlook conference that he and others were hoping the Davis administration does not replicate the resort industry’s “very costly fees and taxes” in their sector where listed properties have more than doubled since 2019. “VAT is a hot topic within the vacation rental market
at the moment,” he said in response to an audience question, acknowledging that the tax is presently only being applied to the fee that the likes of Airbnb and VRBO are charging the property owner for the listing. It is not being levied on the rental rate paid by the tourist, something which Chester Cooper, deputy prime minister, has
served notice that he plans to change. “At the moment they are only taxing what the host is gaining, not the entire package,” Mr Rodgers affirmed, “but we know there are talks in future of taxing the entire package for the rental through VAT. We hope the taxing from VAT on those
SEE PAGE 6
‘Creatures of evolution’: Digital firm to top $130m By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A BAHAMIAN digital payments provider yesterday predicted it will this year “top” the $130m worth of transactions it settled in 2021, and said of this shift: “This is not going to be the norm; it is the norm.” Jeffrey Beckles, Island Pay’s managing director, told the Eleuthera Business Outlook conference that the increasing uptake of digital payments was confirmed by a recent Central Bank briefing that revealed a 13 percent increase in this method of transaction settlement. Yet automated teller machine (ATM) withdrawals had declined by
JEFFREY BECKLES 11 percent over the same period, indicating reduced reliance on cash. With the COVID-19 pandemic having accelerated the transition to a digital Bahamian economy, Mr Beckles said small and
SEE PAGE 5
Airports must give ‘awe, not dismay’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A SENIOR Ministry of Tourism official yesterday affirmed that stopover visitors generate “26 times’ more in visitor spending” than cruise passengers as he hailed Eleuthera for “leading the way in increased airlift” capacity. Dr Kenneth Romer, the Ministry of Tourism’s deputy director-general and acting director of aviation, told the Eleuthera Business Outlook conference that airlift capacity to the island had risen by 4 percent - a
growth rate higher than any other destination in The Bahamas. Meanwhile Tracy Cooper, Bahamasair’s managing director, told the same conference that Bahamasair’s load factors flying into Eleuthera had hit 74 percent for the month of April and the Easter period. He reiterated that passenger traffic volumes had “outgrown” north Eleuthera’s airport capacity while the facility in Rock Sound required urgent runway repairs and resurfacing.
SEE PAGE 4
Disney triples construction workforce promise to 300 • Cruise line has all approvals for Lighthouse Point • Eleuthera eyes $1bn investment in next decade By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net DISNEY Cruise Line yesterday revealed it is near-tripling the number of construction jobs created by its Lighthouse Point project to 300 amid hopes that Eleuthera can attract up to $1bn in total investment over the next decade. Joey Gaskins, Disney’s regional public affairs director for The Bahamas and Caribbean, told the Eleuthera Business Outlook conference that it planned to go well beyond the 120 construction jobs it “promised” the Government in the Heads of Agreement for the development on the island’s southern tip. The cruise line committed, as part of that deal, that a minimum 80 percent of the construction jobs will go to Bahamians and - if it holds to that pledge - then at least 240 of the expanded 300-strong workforce will be
SEE PAGE 4