04252022 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

MONDAY, APRIL 25, 2022

Gov’ts $40m property tax arrears in ‘22 goal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE GOVERNMENT is on track to collect $40m in real property tax arrears in 2022, a top official has revealed, while pledging that there have been “lessons learned” from the recent New Providencewide revaluation. Simon Wilson, the Ministry of Finance’s financial secretary, told Tribune Business that some $10m in delinquent, or past due, property taxes had been collected during the 2022 calendar year’s first as he revealed that revenue authorities were “working through some anomalies discovered” with the algorithm used to value all the island’s commercial and residential properties. Suggesting that the Government could quadruple

• Collects $10m from delinquents in Q1 • Pledges ‘lessons learned’ on revaluation • ‘Flexible’ zoning tweaks for commercial SIMON WILSON the first quarter arrears recovery for the full year if that trend holds, he explained that the discrepancies were largely connected to how the algorithm, or mathematical formula, had treated commercial properties. Mr Wilson said the formula had been set in the belief that tight zoning restrictions, and curbs on how properties could be used, were in play when

the reality is that The Bahamas is “a little more flexible” when it comes to enforcement. And landlords, or property owners, were being penalised via higher tax bills by the actions of their tenants, who may as an example have turned a staid warehouse into a nightclub and be conducting activities that raise property values. “We think it’s gone quite well,” the financial

secretary said of the recent New Providence revaluation, which has been combined with enhanced administration and enforcement. “Over the first three months we’ve collected $10m in property tax arrears. That’s pretty significant when you look at the full year. We’d be close to $40m in property

SEE PAGE 12

Sarkis: CCA made ‘secret payments’ to Gov’t officials By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SARKIS Izmirlian is alleging that Baha Mar’s contractor make secret payments to unnamed “government officials, their family and associates” as part of a scheme to force him out from the multi-billion dollar development. The mega resort’s original developer said the allegation, made in an April 22, 2022, legal filing came as a result of new evidence uncovered during the legal “discovery” process as both he and China Construction

SARKIS IZMIRLIAN America (CCA) exchange documents in preparation for full trial before the New York State Supreme Court.

SEE PAGE 6

Data breach hits Sebas’ ‘Amazon’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SEBAS Bastian’s regional e-commerce platform yesterday revealed it has been hit by a data breach that “compromised” the credit card information of Bahamians and other nationalities across the Caribbean and Latin America. Aeropost, in a message released to customers early yesterday morning, gave no indication of what caused the breach and whether it had been hacked, or how many cardholders had been impacted. It advised all to check their

SEBAS BASTIAN financial statements for “fraudulent transactions” and to request replacement cards from their bank and financial provider. Thus a hack appears likely.

SEE PAGE 10

Tourism chief urges ‘all hands on deck’ to combat crime By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A SENIOR hotelier is calling for an “all hands on deck” approach to combating crime given that it poses “a major risk” to The Bahamas’ continued post-COVID tourism and economic recovery if not controlled. Robert Sands, the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s (BHTA) president, told Tribune Business that the warning released by the US embassy last week must serve as “a wake-up call” for this nation to finally address the crime and security crisis that has plagued it for decades. Arguing that “any incident is one too many”, he added that he was equally concerned about crime’s impact on residential communities and Bahamian citizens as well as tourism. Based on meetings with the Government, and recent initiatives taken by the Royal Bahamas

ROBERT SANDS Police Force (RBPF) and wider authorities, Mr Sands said he and the BHTA were “satisfied it’s being given the priority it deserves”. However, calling for an “aggressive” effort by all elements of Bahamian society, he added that in recent weeks crime “has now shown its ugly head again” and warned: “It’s a matter we have to get under control.” Speaking after the US embassy, in its alert, revealed that four armed robberies of tourists have

SEE PAGE 9


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.