FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 84ºF LOW 71ºF
The Tribune
Volume:116 No.77, APRIL 12TH, 2019
Established 1903
Weekend
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
art gardening entertainme nt fitness fashion music
Weekend
WEEKEND: FINAL COUNTDOWN IN THE GREAT GAME
POLICE Commissioner Anthony Ferguson yesterday sidestepped calls for action to be taken against officers found to have carried out unlawful killings. Instead, Commissioner Ferguson suggested it was not his role but rather parliament’s to create protocols his force should follow when inquest juries find officers acted outside the law. He spoke to the press two days after a jury ruled that an officer unlawfully killed Osworth Rolle, 22, in November 2016. The victim’s father expressed anger that the officer’s duties were unchanged after the shooting and remain that way despite Tuesday’s unlawful killing finding. “The law,” Commissioner Ferguson told reporters, “mandates the commissioner to supervise the Royal Bahamas Police Force and at this stage the
offer good for porting customers only. terms and conditions apply.
officer is on active duty and there is nothing that prevents him from being on active duty”. Some lawyers believe officers in policeinvolved killings should be removed from street duty and should have their functions modified pending inquest findings. Such protocol exists in some other countries. “It shouldn’t be that you kill Johnny on Monday and you back to work on Tuesday,” attorney Christina Galanos said in August after an officer received his second unlawful killing ruling in two months. “I don’t think any developed country operates like that.” Defenders of the status quo note it could take years for an inquest to take place and even if a jury makes an unlawful killing finding, the director of public prosecutions may conclude insufficient evidence exists to pursue a criminal charge against an officer. SEE PAGE FIVE
DESPITE criticising the former Christie administration last year for adding 9,000 people to the government payroll during its term in office, Public Service Minister Brensil Rolle revealed yesterday a “large number” of those hired from 2012 to 2017 have been re-engaged. He said many were required to do comprehensive training to attain specific trades and skills related to ministries where they worked.
“Some of them have remained,” Mr Rolle told The Tribune yesterday. “Some of them were on contracts that expired. “We re-engaged a large number of them and as in the case of the Ministry of Education they set forth a comprehensive training programme to cause individuals to learn specific trades and skills related to the Ministry of Education and, if they successfully completed the one-year probationary period, they’ll be engaged in the service on a full-time basis.” SEE PAGE SIX
pgs 13 - 18
trade in your current iPhone and get credit towards any new device when you switch to ALIV postpaid
A COMIC’S VIEW LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE FUNNY SIDE OF EASTER
SEE PAGE EIGHT
‘LET’S WORK TOGETHER ON GANGS’ By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
AN advocate for the rights and protection of family members of murder victims, Khandi Gibson, is calling for increased partnership between parents and teachers in an effort to end gang affiliation and violence in youth. In an interview with The Tribune, the director and founder of the organisation Families of All Murder Victims (FOAM) said our society must SEE PAGE NINE
MOTHER PRATT’S ACCOLADE
‘LET GO’ WORKERS BACK ON PAYROLL By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
100!
Page 4 & 5
for everything that matters
IT’S NOT MY JOB By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
MAGGIE TURNS
Winter’s finally here
Your guide to the final ‘Gam e of Thrones’ season
Suspend officers who unlawfully kill?
Friday, April 12, 2019
history puzzles
IS SHE FIT TO PLEA? DE’EDRA MICHELLE GIBSON, 29, was yesterday charged with abducting four boys, one as young as three, from various places in New Providence in February and March. Full story - Page 3 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
FORMER Deputy Prime Minister Cynthia “Mother” Pratt is adding another international accolade to the list with a guest feature on the Vera Moore Show. Ms Moore, a former actress turned cosmetics CEO, travelled to The Bahamas to meet Mrs Pratt and use her platform to tell the former politician’s story of rising from SEE PAGE SIX
SPEED SUSPECTED IN FATAL CRASH By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
A YOUNG man is dead following a traffic accident on John F Kennedy Drive yesterday morning, police have confirmed. Speaking to reporters at the scene of the incident, Superintendent Mareno Hinds said officers are still in the preliminary stages of the investigation but believe speed may have
THE CRASH scene yesterday. been a contributing factor to the accident, which culminated in the victim’s
vehicle hitting a utility pole. The Tribune understands the victim to be 25-year-old Keshawn Lightbourn, an employee of Mr Ship It. “On Thursday, April 11, shortly after 10am, the police at Traffic Division were alerted to a road traffic collision on John F Kennedy Drive, just west of the Fusion complex,” Supt Hinds said. “Upon our arrival at the scene, the police met a
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
DIANE PHILLIPS A STENCH OF ENTITLEMENT LAID BARE
SEE PAGE TEN