MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 82ºF LOW 69ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.69, APRIL 2ND, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
WOMAN: CALLING A TRUCE IN A WARRING HOME
Catch her - now Police urged to ‘drop everything’ and find abductor
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
A ROYAL Bahamas Defence Force marine was fined $10,000 yesterday after he was charged with causing the death of his 17-year-old friend when the car they were in went out of control and flipped over in February. Attorney Bjorn Ferguson later confirmed to The Tribune that his client Kranstone Simms paid $5,250 to avoid prison time for causing Bernard Antonio “Nardo” Saunders’ death on Frank Watson Boulevard on February 28. Prior to Simms being fined, he pleaded guilty to one count each of killing in the course of dangerous driving; driving while not covered against third party risk insurance and driving without a valid driver’s licence. SEE PAGE THREE
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
incidents happening. Two boys, aged eight and ten, were standing in front of their residence around 9pm IN LIGHT of recent child when a woman driving a kidnappings in the capital, silver vehicle stopped and former Social Services Min- began talking to the chilister Melanie Griffin said dren, police said. yesterday authorities need “The ten-year-old boy to “drop everywalked away, (but) thing” and see to the woman lured it the MARCO the eight-year-old Alert system is into her vehicle implemented fully. and drove off,” In the meanpolice said. “A time, Mrs Griffin short time later, questioned why the eight-year oldthere hasn’t been a boy was dropped full-fledged awareoff on Tonique ness campaign Williams Darling where sketches of A DRAWING issued Highway near to by police of a susthe alleged perpethe entrance of trator are centre pect involved in an the city dump. The earlier abduction stage and informaboy was reunited tion of what should with his parents, be done to avoid becoming however he was taken to a victim is prevalent. hospital, where he was She spoke in the after- examined by doctor and is math of another abduction in good health.” on Friday night following SEE PAGE FIVE a three-week lull of similar
WATER WORKERS PLAN ACTION DAY By NATARIO MCKENZIE Tribune Business Reporter nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
THE Water & Sewerage Corporation’s two trade unions are planning a “wildcat withdrawal of enthusiasm” today amid claims staff morale is at an “all-time low”. Dwayne Woods, the Bahamas Utilities Service and Allied Workers Union president, said it and the management union plan to co-operate with joint action
as he revealed his members had also expressed fears that their workplace conversations were being “bugged”. Such allegations have been denied by Adrian Gibson, the WSC’s executive chairman, and the state-owned utility’s executives yesterday pledged they would not be distracted by Mr Woods’ “frivolous and attention-seeking efforts” and claimed he was undertaking “a vendetta”. \ FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
MARINE KILLED FRIEND IN CRASH
ACCUSED OF KILLING PERRY A 16-YEAR-OLD was remanded in custody yesterday accused of stabbing 15-year-old Perry Rolle Jr to death last week. Full story - Page 5 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
JUNKANOO BRIBERY REPORT ‘FINISHED’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
JUNKANOO officials are awaiting the release of an internal report concerning bribery allegations connected to the recent Boxing Day and New Year’s Day parades. Outgoing chairman of the Junkanoo Corporation of New Providence, Silbert Ferguson, said when contacted yesterday the sub-committee appointed SEE PAGE SEVEN
EIGHT INJURED IN DOCKYARD ACCIDENT By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net
SEVERAL employees were injured at the Grand Bahama shipyard when a crane collapsed on one of the world’s largest cruise ships around noon yesterday. The Tribune understands that eight persons were taken to hospital. Five were injured, and three were brought in as “non-fatal drowning” patients. All
THE SCENE at the shipyard are believed to be foreign workers. Work was being carried out on the Oasis of
the Seas - the second largest cruise ship operated by Royal Caribbean International - which was docked for repair work. The ship could be seen listing on its port side, however, the exact damage to the ship and the dock was not known up to press time. However, one shipyard worker who filmed a cell phone video of the incident speculated that there was major damage at the facility. SEE PAGE TWO
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
FACE-TO-FACE A CHILDHOOD DREAM TO GIVE LIFE OF SERVICE SEE PAGE EIGHT