FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 80ºF LOW 68ºF
The Tribune
Volume:116 No.67, MARCH 29TH, 2019
Established 1903
Weekend
WEEKEND: IT’S NOT JUST MEN, YOU KNOW
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1 art books film fashion
Weekend
Women artists in the spot light
Ministry probes teacher filmed beating students THE Ministry of Education is investigating the circumstances surrounding a video in which a teacher is seen repeatedly striking a group of students with a leather belt. The nearly three-minute video, which has spread across various social media platforms, reportedly involves an Abaco-based physical education teacher who is seen lashing students one-by-one with the belt. It is not clear when the
video was shot. Director of Education Marcellus Taylor, when contacted yesterday, said the ministry was aware of the video and confirmed that an investigation was underway to determine what prompted the ordeal. “We’ve seen it,” he told The Tribune. “It involved a teacher from Patrick J Bethel School and the district there is reviewing that matter. We expect a report to be submitted, and once that is done, we will determine what course of action we need to take.” SEE PAGE THREE
WATER BOSS - WE’RE NOT BUGGING STAFF By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE Water & Sewerage Corporation’s executive chairman last night dismissed “baseless and absolutely false” fears employees are being bugged, amid union demands for a police probe. Adrian Gibson, in a messaged response to Tribune Business’s inquiries, said the state-owned water supplier “would never participate in or condone any illegal activity that compromises the work environment” after its management union called for the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) to “sweep”
the corporation’s offices for “illegal listening devices”. Ednol Rolle, the Water & Sewerage Management Union’s (WSMU) president, told this newspaper he had been “scared” by continuing complaints from his members that their workplace conversations were being listened into and recorded. Revealing that the allegations had persisted from last year, he said the purported surveillance had even extended to some Water & Sewerage Corporation workers being “followed home” - although he declined to provide further details. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
puzzles food
Friday, March 29, 2019
OUT TO BRUNCH Page 8 & 9
A touch of the feminine
Out of order By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
music history animals
pages 14 & 15
LUCAYAN STAFF TOLD TAKE THE DEAL NOW By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
GRAND Lucayan managers were told yesterday to either take a final voluntary separation package lump sum offer of $3.1m or risk getting less when they are terminated as part of the hotel’s transition to new ownership. Although the new offer is only $100,000 more than the board initially agreed to, Michael Scott, Lucayan Renewal Holdings chairman, said unless the government decides otherwise, the board is firm on this “very generous” offer. Calling the issue a “wrapped hand grenade”, Mr Scott said neither the government nor the board would want to pass the issue on to proposed new joint owners Royal Caribbean International and Mexican port developer ITM. SEE PAGE SIX
NYGARD’S STUCK UP A CREEK...
LOOKING DAME GOOD, JANET
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
DAME Janet Bostwick is made a Dame Commander of the British Empire by Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, at Buckingham Palace yesterday. See page five for more. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire
A PROMINENT attorney yesterday expressed concerns over the possibility that Canadian billionaire Peter Nygard may be “hiding” behind a Caribbean-based company in order to retrieve a yacht from his Lyford Cay home. Fred Smith, QC, attorney for Save The Bays (STB), said his client “has not satisfied itself” that YL Limited, based in Saint Vincent, is not a “front” for or “alter ego” of the controversial Lyford Cay resident. SEE PAGE TWO
‘WE WON’T GIVE UP ON MISSING MARVIN’ By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net A SUPREME Court judge has dismissed a human rights group’s application to have police produce a Gambier Village resident they deny ever taking into custody. Acting Justice Andrew Forbes dismissed Rights Bahamas’ habeas corpus application for police
MARVIN PRATT to produce the body of 40-year-old Marvin Pratt.
Rights Bahamas attorney Crispin Hall told reporters after the hearing that despite the ruling, his team will continue to explore “every possible legal avenue” to get justice for Mr Pratt. Mr Pratt’s family claims Drug Enforcement Unit (DEU) officers arrested him on December 5, 2018, a claim Commissioner Anthony Ferguson has denied. SEE PAGE SEVEN
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
ROOMS WITH A VIEW - BUT NOT THIS BIG
SEE PAGE NINE