MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 81ºF LOW 67ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.63, MARCH 25TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
SPORTS: BIG RED MACHINE RULES ATHLETICS MEET PAGES
Trump’s promise on crime alerts President told warnings old and overblown By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said he told US President Donald Trump that crime advisories should be used to raise awareness and not initiate fear, adding criminal attacks on American tourists in this country were “negligible”. Dr Minnis said he also stressed there was a greater concern that information contained in some US crime advisories were recycled and out of date. As a result, Dr Minnis said not only was President
Trump concerned with how the issue was impacting The Bahamas, but he directed officials to look at how the advisories were handled moving forward. Matters concerning Venezuela were also raised during the meeting at Mr Trump’s resort Mar-a-Lago in Florida. According to Dr Minnis, The Bahamas’ position on Venezuela - where there is ongoing political unrest - has remained firm and in line with the Organisation of American States (OAS): that if the recent election in
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis says he does not know what the “big deal” is when it comes to controversy over high-ranking Royal Bahamas Police Force officers being asked to take accumulated vacation followed by retirement. Instead Dr Minnis asked: “What is wrong with taking vacation?”
SEE PAGE FIVE
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
A FORMER Dolphin Cay marine mammal specialist was wrong for not informing her supervisor that a female guest had breached company policy by touching a dolphin’s genitals seven years ago, the Court of Appeal has ruled. Appellate President Sir Hartman Longley and fellow Justices Stella Crane-Scott and Roy Jones unanimously agreed Shikera Isaacs-Sawyer’s failure to report the guest’s “inappropriate” actions warranted her termination from the Atlantis resort in 2013. SEE PAGE 12
BY RIEL MAJOR
SEE PAGE FOUR
He added he was confident RBPF Commissioner Anthony Ferguson had the matter under control. However, Dr Minnis did not clearly answer a question about the government’s or the organisation’s strategy for filling the vacancies created, only insisting that Commissioner Ferguson would not do anything to endanger the lives and safety of Bahamians.
DOLPHIN ASSAULT LED TO SACKING
TEACHERS’ ULTIMATUM: GIVE US AN ANSWER
POLICE DEPARTURES: WHY THE BIG DEAL? By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
HOME
CLASSIC AND CUTE
CROWDS flocked to Arawak Cay on Saturday to enjoy the annual Antique Auto Show & Cookout run by the Auto Club of The Bahamas. More pictures - Page 2 Photo: Donavan McIntosh
THE Bahamas Union of Teachers will present the government with a letter today relating to its new industrial agreement and is calling for the government to respond within seven days, according to BUT president Belinda Wilson. On Friday, Mrs Wilson said she has not received a counterproposal to a document sent to education officials last year. She said: “I wondered when the negotiations started ... the Bahamas Union of Teachers presented an agreement to the government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas through the minister of education June 20, 2018 SEE PAGE 11
BISHOPS DEMAND ‘WAR ON GUNS’ By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
FIVE local bishops “frustrated” with the recent wave of gun-related violence in New Providence have called on National Security Minister Marvin Dames to declare a “war” on guns. Bishops Simeon Hall, Victor Cooper, Greg Minnis, J Carl Rahming and Ross Davis specifically
BISHOP SIMEON HALL called on the minister to “lead efforts which would significantly increase the
present penalty for the illegal possession of guns”. In particular, the five religious leaders said in a statement that anyone found importing guns “should face the stiffest penalty in the law”. The bishops also called on “concerned and responsible parents” to engage in the “war” by not harbouring children engaged in criminality or knowingly benefitting from their SEE PAGE THREE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
INSIGHT PLAYING SAFE WHEN FRIENDS FALL OUT
SEE PAGE SEVEN