03202019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 80ºF LOW 68ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.60, MARCH 20TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: IT’S TIME WE DEMANDED BETTER

Police call 911 for suspect ‘beaten’ in custody MINNIS SET TO MEET TRUMP ON FRIDAY

THIS HAS TO STOP By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

EMERGENCY medical services were called to the Central Detective Unit of the Royal Bahamas Police Force yesterday to help a man who was allegedly beaten in custody, according to his lawyer Christina Galanos. Ms Galanos recorded a four-second video showing the man, bent over in distress, being taken into an ambulance outside CDU. The attorney, who believes her client was beaten to make a confession, declined to reveal the identity of the man. This is the latest allegation of beatings in police custody. Criminal lawyers insist it is a chronic problem and they are upset by the way law enforcement, political and judicial officials have traditionally handled the issue. For his part, Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash, head of the Central

Detective Unit, said officers told him the suspect experienced a medical issue and required attention. He said he was not aware of any accusation of police brutality. Ms Galanos said: “I was hired to see a client at CDU. I went there around 11am. While waiting on him I was reliably informed by an inside source that he was beaten and that they called the ambulance for him. I was called on the outside by ASP Cox and he told me my client is ‘complaining of shortness of breath and we called the ambulance for him’. I said ‘okay Officer Cox, why is he complaining of shortness of breath?’ (He said) ‘I can’t say, I just know the man is complaining of shortness of breath.’ “The ambulance came and I recorded them escorting my client out to the ambulance. It looked to me that something happened to him and police are now trying to cover it up and do

SEE PAGE THREE

GUNNED DOWN IN BROAD DAYLIGHT

SEE PAGE THREE

PM’S INITIATIVE - JUST 17 APPLY By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

WITH no restroom and an unseemly roof, Trevor Moss’ tyre shop in Bain and Grants Town would be an ideal beneficiary of tax concessions under the government’s Over-the-Hill programme. The savings would help Mr Moss and others who want to renovate and equip their homes or businesses, be exempt from real property taxes or bring in cars duty-free for work.

But nearly four months after the Economic Empowerment Zone went live, just 14 applications for concessions have been approved to date, the Ministry of Finance told The Tribune yesterday. In a zone with hundreds of residents and many businesses, only 17 applications have been submitted. Only a few of the more than a dozen people The Tribune interviewed last week have even heard about the programme and its tax concessions. SEE PAGE SIX

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis and other regional leaders will meet with US President Donald Trump on Friday as the American leader looks to “counter China’s predatory economic practices” in the region among other things. Potential opportunities for energy investment and security cooperation are also things that will be on the agenda for discussion. A statement released by the Office of the Press Secretary at the White House last night said the meeting will take place at President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. “President Donald Trump will welcome the leaders of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, the Republic of Haiti,

BY RIEL MAJOR

IN this video grab, the suspect is helped to a waiting ambulance yesterday. His attorney Christina Galanos believes her client was beaten to make a confession but declined to reveal his identity.

‘NEW POST OFFICE - IT’S MONTHS AWAY’ By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

BAHAMIANS have been “deceived” by the government regarding the relocation of the General Post Office, Progressive Liberal Party leader Philip “Brave” Davis said yesterday. He was referring to the timelines that have been previously set by the government for the GPO to be moved from the rundown

THE PLP tours the Town Centre Mall Post Office yesterday. East Hill Street building to the Town Centre Mall. Initially, Transport and

Local Government Minister Renward Wells said the move was slated to happen before Christmas 2018. However this was delayed to January this year and then he said this date was pushed to mid-February. Asked last week at Cabinet for an update, Mr Wells said he would give one in two weeks. But from the looks of the site yesterday, Mr Davis said it could be months

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE SEVEN

POLICE are investigating the country’s latest homicide after a man was found dead at the junction of Mackey Street and Wilton Street yesterday morning. According to Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash, shortly before 11am police received reports of gunshots. At the scene, CSP Cash said: “The officers arrived on the scene they met the lifeless body of a male who were lying at the junction. SEE PAGE TWO

TECHNOLOGY

TAKING ON VIDEO GAMERS

SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.