FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 81ºF LOW 68ºF
The Tribune
Volume:116 No.57, MARCH 15TH, 2019
Established 1903
Weekend
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
Friday, March 15, 2019 art books culture fashio n music food entertainme nt puzzles history
Weekend
WEEKEND: FIRST REVEAL FOR CARNIVAL COSTUMES
No-show Nygard ‘Just lock him up’ By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net ATTORNEY Fred Smith, QC, yesterday called on a Supreme Court judge to jail Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard for two years for failing to appear in court yet again to attend his own sentencing for breaching a court order prohibiting him from engaging in any illegal dredging near his Lyford Cay home. Mr Smith submitted to Justice Cheryl GrantThompson that a “severe custodial sentence” should
be levied on Mr Nygard, as only the loss of his liberty for a “long period” would cause the “serial recidivist contemnor” to “heel” and respect The Bahamas’ administration of justice. Mr Smith said a fine would be “peanuts” for a reported billionaire like Mr Nygard, and would do nothing to instill respect for the country’s judicial system in someone who told a former Supreme Court judge to her face that her proceedings was “the biggest waste of time that I’ve ever experienced”.
THE National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) must “give it another go” after failing to win Cabinet approval for the scheme at the first try, a minister revealed yesterday. Dr Duane Sands, minister of health, disclosed to Tribune Business that the government wants answers to multiple questions raised
OPERATION CLEAN-UP UNDERWAY By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE New Providence landfill’s new operator yesterday said it is “well armed with funding and ready to go” as it takes over the site’s management for the first time today. Henry Dean, head of the Waste Resources Development Group said that the winning bidder had already mobilised with “no less than 50 trucks” ready to haul fill to the Tonique Williams Highway site to ensure all garbage is fully covered. Pledging the 100 percent Bahamian-owned group will deliver “a first class experience for all”, Mr Dean said its first priority today will be “to kill or bring as as close to zero as possible” the risk of major fires breaking out at the site.
‘MISSING MARVIN’ HEARING DELAYED
SEE PAGE THREE
during the authority’s first presentation to Cabinet on the reformed healthcare financing plan. While not providing specifics on the queries raised by Cabinet, Dr Sands indicated there needed to be further testing of the “assumptions” that the NHIA has made to support how it has chosen to structure the scheme’s financing, operational and administrative mechanisms. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
pages 14 & 15
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
CABINET DEMANDS ANSWERS OF NHIA
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Page 7
A fairytale Carnival
Enigma leads the way for 2019
QC urges court to jail tycoon for two years
ST PADDY’S DAY
By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
SUPREME Court Justice Andrew Forbes has delayed his ruling on a habeas corpus application in the case of 40-year-old Marvin Pratt, after agreeing that government filings in the case have not fully addressed the specifics as laid out in the application. During yesterday’s proceedings, counsel for Mr Pratt, Callenders & Co lawyer Crispin Hall, argued the response filed by attorney for the Crown, Ryan Sands, on behalf of Chief Superintendent Solomon PETER Nygard failed to appear in court yet again yesterday.
Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
SEE PAGE SIX
‘TRUST US TO PLAY FAIR ON COMPLAINTS’ By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
AS HE urged those aggrieved by officers to make their complaints known with the Complaints and Corruptions Unit, Royal Bahamas Police Force Commissioner Anthony Ferguson said the process must be fair on all sides. The Police Act mandates that complaints against officers be addressed within
COMMISSIONER FERGUSON six months, yet some have been waiting more than a year for police to address
their complaints and have yet to get an update. In one recent case, two people were told time had run out for their matter to be addressed, even though they made timely complaints. Despite the concerns, Commissioner Ferguson admitted yesterday that people may get weary with the process, but he was confident police will investigate all matters properly.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
A COMIC’S VIEW THE MANY UPS AND DOWNS OF FATHERHOOD
SEE PAGE EIGHT