WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 80ºF LOW 68ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.55, MARCH 13TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
SPORTS: WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HEADS TO DECIDER
Renward’s relief in $700m lawsuit
Court brings end to waste project dispute By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Supreme Court has dismissed a $727.364m damages claim brought against Renward Wells and two government “agents” by the firm at the centre of the Letter of Intent (LOI) controversy. Deputy registrar Carol Misiewicz found that Stellar Energy and its affiliates were “from any angle unable to sustain an action” against the now-Cabinet minister and his co-defendants, Algernon Allen and Frank Forbes, “on the basis of the LOI”.
She determined that the LOI, the signing of which forced Mr Wells’ departure as Ministry of Works parliamentary secretary under the former Christie administration, “was not binding in law”. The deputy registrar also branded Stellar’s claims against Mr Allen, himself a former Cabinet minister, and Mr Forbes, a businessman and accountant who ran Sigma Holdings, as “bad” given that they were not parties to the now-notorious LOI.
MEMBERS of the Progressive Liberal Party railed against the government’s handling of Grand Lucayan employees and the execution of the plan to sell the resort, calling for greater accountability in the spending of tax dollars. Progressive Liberal Party deputy leader Chester Cooper questioned how much money has been
SEE PAGE FIVE
THE Bahamas must use its escape from the European Union’s (EU) tax “blacklist” to take the financial services industry to the “next level of growth”, the deputy prime minister urged yesterday. KP Turnquest, speaking after it was confirmed that The Bahamas had avoided the EU’s 15-strong list, said that the country needed to exploit this outcome by repositioning the sector to focus on high-margin, value-added business. Following the “arduous” effort to enact multiple laws bringing The Bahamas into compliance with the EU’s demands, Mr Turnquest said this nation now needed to attract companies to do real business with us.
MINISTER CONFIRMS SCHOOLS TB CASES
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
spent so far on what he called a “frolic”, adding the lack of transparency presented a myriad of questions surrounding the deal. This, he said, was a breach of trust by Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis. These concerns were further amplified by Englerston MP Glenys Hanna Martin, who also criticised the government’s treatment of Grand Lucayan employees.
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
HOW MUCH IS THIS ’FROLIC’ COSTING? By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
‘NOW IT’S TIME FOR US TO GO FORWARD’
BY RIEL MAJOR
ASIA’ S EYES ON CROWN
LITTLE Miss Galaxy Asia Laing waves to her supporters before the Bahamas Galaxy pageant crowns its queens. For a full report and more pictures, don’t miss The Tribune’s Weekend section, out on Friday. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
THERE are two separate confirmed cases of tuberculosis at Government High School and at AF Adderley, Education Minister Jeffrey Lloyd said yesterday. Mr Lloyd told reporters outside Cabinet that once his ministry is notified of any such circumstances, there is a protocol between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health that immediately jumps into action. “The TB is on the island of New Providence that’s at GHS and AF Adderley,” said Mr Lloyd. SEE PAGE FIVE
‘HIS HAND NEVER LEFT THE PLOUGH’ By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
THE late Monsignor Preston Moss was yesterday described by Catholic Archbishop Patrick Pinder as a man of “very deep faith” and an “engaging preacher with a deep, deep understanding and knowledge” of sacred scriptures. The beloved priest died on Monday at the age of 79 after a battle with cancer. Tributes have poured in
MONSIGNOR PRESTON MOSS from government officials and the Catholic community for a man who was seen
as a pillar of Catholicism in The Bahamas. Msgr Moss’ accolades are numerous: in 2018, he was among the first group of recipients of the Bahamas National Honours, receiving the Order of Merit. In 1999 he was made a protonotary apostolic, which is the highest rank of monsignor, by Pope John Paul II. In 1981, he was chosen by Pope John Paul II as part
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
ALICIA WALLACE WE ALL NEED A LITTLE HELP FROM FRIENDS
SEE PAGE EIGHT