03122019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 82ºF LOW 71ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.54, MARCH 12TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

WOMAN: MAKING MILLENNIALS READY FOR REAL WORLD

Lucayan staff demand bigger payoffs - but told... PM LEADS TRIBUTES AS PRESTON MOSS DIES

THERE’S NO MORE MONEY. THAT’S IT

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

GRAND Lucayan managers were yesterday warned “there’s no more money” after they rejected the government’s $3.1m payout offer and took their grievances to industrial tribunal. Michael Scott, chairman of the government-owned vehicle that owns the resort, told Tribune Business that its board and the government had no option but “to draw a line in the sand” to protect the financial interests of Bahamian taxpayer. Disclosing that the government and the Bahamas Hotel Managerial Association (BHMA), which represents the resort’s 114 managers, were still $2.4m apart on their valuations of the voluntary separation

packages (VSEPs) that should be offered to those wanting to leave, Mr Scott suggested the Grand Lucayan board would now seek to cut Obie Ferguson, chief negotiator for the BHMA, out of the discussions. He indicated that it would deal directly with the 90 managers wanting to leave if the terms were right, with the board and government adopting a “take it or leave it” position. Mr Scott described the worker payouts as a distraction from the board’s main work, which is to focus on selling the Grand Lucayan to the buyer best able to transform the resort and into a true destination, thereby reviving Freeport’s and the wider Grand Bahama tourism product.

FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

OFFICIAL Opposition leader Philip “Brave” Davis yesterday criticised the closed-door signing between the government and Disney Island Development Ltd for a multi-million dollar project in Eleuthera, adding it appeared to be shrouded in secrecy. The Heads of Agreement was signed in private on Thursday at the

Cabinet office, but was not announced until days later. “Hard on the heels of the fake and phoney Oban deal, the prime minister sat in secret and signed the Disney deal,” Mr Davis said. “No cameras or outsiders were allowed save for the government’s minders and mouthpieces. The public found out by a release from the Bahamas Information Services. The PLP would never have gotten away with this and never tried to.” SEE PAGE SIX

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis led tributes yesterday to Monsignor Preston Moss, a long-serving religious leader who died yesterday at 79 after battling cancer. Monsignor Moss served as Vicar General of the Catholic Archdiocese of Nassau, retiring as pastor of St Anselm Parish in Fox Hill in 2016 after years of service. He was among the first crop of recipients of the Bahamian National Honors, honoured alongside Rev Dr J Emmette Weir under the rank of Officer. “His half a century of ministry coincided with our national development as a sovereign Bahamas,” Dr Minnis said in a press statement. SEE PAGE FIVE

VISA SCAM ‘MR FIXIT’ JAILED FOR FIVE MONTHS By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

DAVIS ASKS - WHY DISNEY SECRECY?

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

LENNY - STRAIGHT FROM HIS HEART

LENNY Kravitz has credited the culture of The Bahamas as the inspiration behind much of his career success. Full story - Page 2

THE MR Fix-It at the centre of a US visa scam involving The Bahamas Immigration Department has been jailed for five months by a federal court. Edward Israel Santil pleaded guilty to one count of encouraging and including an alien to come to the United States for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain. He was convicted last year after an explosive FBI undercover operation into US visa fraud in The Bahamas that spanned two years. US Attorney Jessie Liu accused Saintil of operating a “one-stop shop for immigration fraud”. SEE PAGE THREE

SEAHORSE SIGHTING BRINGS A LITTLE HOPE By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

THE sighting of a juvenile seahorse in North Bimini Bay following the ending of dredging within the mangroves has excited environmentalists. Save The Bays chairman Joseph Darville said the juvenile seahorse indicated the possible presence of adults in the area and a likely comeback for the area. He lamented

SIGHTING: a seahorse Biminites have not seen “a single shrimp” on the ocean side since habitats were “dreadfully destroyed”.

“Our sincere prayer is that any further incursion into the bay area or into the mangroves, where 80 percent of marine species spawn and mature, has come to an end,” Mr Darville wrote. “If not the rule of conscience, at least the historic evidence of wanton destruction of Mother Earth in North Bimini and the simultaneous disappearance of sea life should give

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE SIX

FACE-TO-FACE WOMEN WHO ALL MADE THEIR MARK

SEE PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
03122019 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu