Skip to main content

The Clare Echo 1302

Page 1

THE CLARE ECHO Thursday, Oct 31, 2024

News

Support journalism in Clare by subscribing to www.clareecho.ie/subscribe

065 671 9021

Feb 13 2025

clareecho.ie

Gardaí search SHEAMIEBOWL for culprits in school hoax by Páraic McMahon paraic@clareecho.ie

NO ARRESTS have been made after a threat of an armed attack was made on Clare schools on Tuesday but an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the communication continues. An Garda Síochána have confirmed it is satisfied there was “no credible security threat” to correspondence which pledged to be “one of the most prolific attacks in Irish history”.

A Garda spokesperson said “there is no ongoing risk to the public” and that it will continue “to investigate all of the circumstances surrounding this communication including as to whether currently unknown third parties had an involvement in the distribution of this communication”. Schools in Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Ennis and Newmarket-on-Fergus were forced to close for half and full days on Tuesday as security forces examined the potential threat. Some

students left in tears and parents have spoke of the emotional distress caused. Cllr Tony Mulcahy (FG) believed that the correspondence emerged after an account was hacked which Gardaí are continuing to investigate. There was “a sense of hysteria” in the calls received by the constituency office of Junior Minister, Timmy Dooley (FF) while his party colleague, Cathal Crowe TD (FF) labelled it as “a shocking threat”. Full Story p14-15

l Sheamie Garrihy stars in an advert that appeared during the Superbowl. More on p2

OccasionCars.ie

Clare politicians rally behind Senator Conway by Páraic McMahon paraic@clareecho.ie

Getting

Married?

Wide range of vehicle styles Multi award-winning Complimentary bottle of Bubbly Fully Licensed & Insured

086 330 5116 info @ OccasionCars.ie

FINE GAEL politicians in Clare have said Senator Martin Conway (FG) needs to be supported following his resignation from their parliamentary party after his arrest for intoxication in Dublin last month. Senator Conway is now the subject of a disciplinary process within Fine Gael. On Sunday, he resigned from the parliamentary party after failing to inform the party of his arrest in the capital last month. The Clare Echo understands he has taken tempo-

rary leave from his duties in recent days. Support must be provided for Senator Conway, Clare TD Joe Cooney (FG) maintained while Cllr Gabriel Keating (FG) felt former Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) could come under scrutiny as part of the disciplinary process. “I feel sorry for himself, his wife and family. He is a great politician, he has done a lot of work for the county and his community, it is unfortunate that he is in this situation,” Cllr John Crowe (FG) told The Clare Echo.

More on p6


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The Clare Echo 1302 by The Clare Echo - Issuu