MindanaoDAILY THE PURVEYOR OF TRUTH , JUSTICE, AND DEVELOPMENT
Volume VI, No. 082
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Friday
September 2, 2016
FDC Misamis synchs with Mindanao grid Filinvest ends Mindanao’s recurring power crisis
THE FDC Misamis Power Corporation (FDC Misamis) announced yesterday that the second unit of its 405 MW flagship project in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental had been synchronized to the Mindanao grid, only a month after its first unit went online, the company said. It said the third unit is scheduled for synchronization by the first half of September. FDC Misamis, A subsidiary of Filinvest Development Corporation, is the first plant to be commissioned under the Duterte administration. “To date, FDC Misamis has a generating capacity of 270 MW and is currently
THE biggest power plant in Mindanao by FDC Misamis Power Corporation (FDC Misamis) goes online to help ensure the supply of reliable and competitively-priced power for the region. FDC Misamis is a subsidiary of FDC Utilities, Inc. and a member of Gotianun’s Filinvest Development Corporation.
supplying over 200 MW into the Mindanao grid. So far, the commissioning test has been running smoothly and we expect to attain the full capacity of 405 MW by this month,” said Mario
Pangilinan, President and Chief Operating Officer of FDC Utilities, Inc. Located at the Phividec Industrial Estate in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental, the power plant is a multi-
billion peso investment that uses the latest in clean coal technology: the circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boiler technology. Considered as the cleanest process to
burning coal, the technology is also known for having higher steam generator efficiency thus lowering carbon emissions. See GRID, page A11
P15.00
A1
Studes, groups protest killings Students, faith leaders, and civil society groups prayed and lit candles yesterday, Aug. 31, in protest against the spate of killings in relation to President Duterte’s war on illegal narcotics. Held in dif ferent parts of Metro Manila on Wednesday evening, the activities were led by the newly-formed Stop the Killings Network as it raised the alarm over the rising number of drugrelated killings in the country. At the Dominican-run Colegio San Juan De Letran in Manila, hundreds of students prayed the rosary for peace and lit candles for the victims of summary executions and other crimes. Letran Student Council President Samantha Marcellana said they support the fight against See STUDES, page A11
Balay Mindanaw turns over health centers to partner brgys By BONG D. FABE Contributing Editor
AFTER almost a year, the peace and development non-government organization Balay Mindanaw Foundation, Inc. (BMFI) finally turned over the newly-constructed health centers to at least three of its partner barangays. “Health has a very great impact on disaster preparedness and resiliency-building, that is why we need to take care of it,” stressed Sabrina “Sabcee” Garcia Balais, leader of BMFI’s Team CDO during the simple turn-over ceremonies in the barangays of Mambuaya, Lumbia and Patag. NEW HEALTH CENTER. PATAG Barangay Chairman Marycor Calizo shakes The construction of the hands with Eileen Ipulan Bautista, Balay Mindanaw’s DR3AM Program coordinator, health centers is the core of during the turn-over ceremony of the new health center. Photo by Bong D. Fabe
BMFI’s Community-based Disaster and Health Preparedness to Strengthen the Resilience of 18 DisasterProne Barangays in Cagayan de Oro City project. Construction cost was shouldered by BMFI’s generous foreign partners German Humanitarian Assistance and Johanniter International Assistance in partnership with the City Government of Cagayan de Oro, Department of Health through the City Health Office, and Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council. “What happened to the city during Sendong was big eye-opener for all, especially us in public service,” explained Dr. Rachel Dilla, City Health Officer II, refer-
ring to Tropical Storm Washi that devastated Cagayan de Oro and neighboring Iligan City on December 16, 2011. Sendong’s killer flashflood wiped out an entire community, save a twostorey concrete house, that sprouted in Sitio Cala-Cala, Barangay Macasandig. “Thus, Mayor Moreno began thinking of setting up infirmaries in strategic barangays that will serve as catchbasin to cover all of the city’s 80 urban and rural barangays,” Dilla said. However, due to financial constraints, the mayor’s plan only began to be realized four years after taking over the reins of City Hall. Among these barangays are Tablon, Patag, See HEALTH, page A11
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776