Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
Volume III, No. 110
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Thursday
ZING
QUANTUM PENDANT THE SUPER - FAST PAIN KILLER GREAT WORK/SPORT ENHANCER For Price, Inquiry & Demo, visit: GREATLAB Polyclinic and Drug testing Center
LIFESTYLE DISTRICT, Corrales Ext., Cagayan de Oro City Contact NOs: (088) 8502489; 09189659562; 09177929464
on Page A1 12 October 2, 2014See story P15.00
Bambi, Unabia together again in 2016 elections? By GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City–– The possibility of Misamis Oriental Gov. Yevgeny “Bambi” Emano and Misamis Oriental 1st district Congressman Peter Unabia to be reunited as political allies come 2016 elections is there. See FULL STORY, page A5
Sorry for Treevolution lapses, says MinDa DAVAO City––The Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) apologized to volunteers who were reportedly injured in last week’s island-wide tree planting activity dubbed TreeVolution. The apology came after stories came out in social media that some participants fainted from exhaustion after walking to the sites of planting. There were complaints that organizers failed to tell them about the exact distance of the sites. In a statement, MinDA said they had already reached out to those who were subjected to physical exhaustion and explained the situation. “In some planting sites, it turned out that reaching the area by several kilometers walk rather than by trucks was the safest mode given the circumstances,” the statement read. “It was a decision made on that instance to principally avoid possible catastrophic pitfalls from slippery terrain.” The statement added that the emergency medical response mechanisms by the Philippine National Police, Central 911, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Local Emergency Response Teams, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Councils, and the Traffic Management Group helped in preventing any other See sorry, page A5
MEDICAL MISSION. Misamis Oriental second district Rep. Juliette T. Uy spearheads the holding of the 10th Medical Mission which was held at Looc Elementary School in Barangay Looc in Villanueva town recently. Hundreds of the local residents have benefitted from the medical, dental, legal, feeding program, free hair cut and other services provided free during the medical mission. Land Transportation Office (LTO) Regional Director Hilarion E. Ulep, and LTO Assistant Regional Director Nelson S. Manaloto with Rep. Uy also distributed Student Permits. The 10th Medical Mission is supported by the United Movement headed by Villanueva town Mayor Julio Uy. Photo by Dodo Canoy
Banning student from exam for non-payment of tuition to be outlawed BANNING students from taking examinations for failure to pay tuition fees will be outlawed once a measure filed by Senator Bam Aquino is enacted into law. If enacted into law, Aquino’s Senate Bill No. 2369, or the “Students’ Rights and Welfare Act of 2014,” will punish violators of imprisonment of up to five years and a fine of up to P100,000.
If the offender is a juridical person, the penalty shall be imposed upon the president, treasurer, secretary or any officer or person responsible for the violation. “If the offender is a public officer or employee, the Court shall, in addition to the penalties above, order his or her dismissal from government service,” said Aquino, chairman of the See outlawed, page A7
Labor groups 4-day workweek ‘unhealthy’ BASURA KO, ATIMANON KO RAFFLE DRAW WINNER. Jerson Huelar of Purok 4-C in Barangay Gusa was the lucky winner of 25 kilos of rice during the Basura Ko, Atimanon Ko Rafle Draw held last September 29 at the Barangay Gusa Covered Court. His mother received the prize from Barangay Chairman Marlon Tabac of Gusa and Assistant General Manager Jong Batar of COWD on his behalf. Basura Ko, Atimanon Ko is an Ecological Solid Waste Management Project initiated by the Barangay Council of Gusa with COWD as its partner-agency for the month of September. An entry of five pieces of recyclable materials entitles one to a raffle ticket. Second prize was 15 kilos rice while third prize was 10 kilos. 20 Consolation prizes of 3 kilos rice each were also given away. COWD has always supported projects that encourage people to protect the environment. Photo supplied
By MARYA SALAMAT of Bulatlat.com
WORKERS from the public and private sectors opposed the Aquino government’s proposed four-day workweek saying this will not solve the problem of heavy traffic. On the contrary, they said, it is harmful to workers’ health, rights, livelihood and
in the case of public sector employees, to public service. In a statement, Ferdinand Gaite, national president of Confederation for Unity and Advancement of Government Employees (Courage), called the fourday workweek a proof of government incompetence in solving the traffic mess. See groups, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776