Mindanao Daily Davao (May 3, 2016)

Page 1

Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . caraga . davao . westmin

vertical home builders enterprises Patag Highway, Cagayan de Oro City

Tel. No. 858-5789 / Fax No. 850-5020; Cel. Nos. 0919-655-3754, 0923-304-2676 Email: verticalhomebuilders@yahoo.com

Dealer of hardware and construction materials: Product Lines: Angle Bars; Gl Pipes; C-Purlins; Holow Blocks; Coco Lumber; Carrying Channel; Double Furring Channel; Single Furring ; Acoustic Board; Polycarbonate; Power Tools; Good Lumber S4S; Panel Doors; PVC Laminated Panel; PVC Vertical Blinds; Roller Blinds ; Wooden Blinds; Armstrong Vinyl Tiles; Kent Vinyl Tiles; Parquet Tiles - Apo Vinyl Tiles.

“YOU NAME IT, WE HAVE IT.”

Bringing Good News of Mindanao

Volume V, No. 269

web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com

Tuesday

May 3, 2016

P15.00

A1

Distributor & Dealer of: Steel Bars; Holcim Cement; Davis Paint; Sand & Gravel; Plywood; INdustrial Supplies; Finishing Supplies; Electrical Supplies; Power Tools; Air Compressors

BOC exec hails closure of Malaysia-Philippines border By CHENG ORDOÑEZ Associate Editor and GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent

CAGAYAN de Oro City--A Bureau of Customs (BOC) official has appreciated the decision of the Malaysian state of Sabah to close its border trade to the Philippines due to the spate

of kidnappings involving Malaysian nationals by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) saying it is actually good for the country’s anti-smuggling efforts. BOC deputy commissioner and chief of the agency’s Intelligence Group Jessie Dellosa noted that basic commodities such as sugar

and rice the ports in the Zambasulta (ZamboangaBasilan-Sulu-Tawi-tawi) area. Even before the closure the Sabah border trade, Dellosa said the Customs had already made antismuggling operations in some of the southwestern ports Mindanao. “From

February to March [this year] we made numerous confiscations of illegally shipped items, particularly sugar.” What happened in the ports of Zambasulta, he said, was that basic goods that were supposed to be taxed enter the country

Zubiri tosses up Duterte-Robredo, gets support of Bukidnon mayors Wage hikes under PNoy smallest since 1990s

By Allan Mediante, MDN Editor-in-Chief

MALAYBALAY City -- No less than Bukidnon governor Jose Zubiri Jr. himself pronounced during a press conference here yesterday noon, that he is fully supporting Digong Duterte for President and Leni Robredo for Vice President. The press-conference which was held at the Provincial Capitol was attended by more than a hundred members of the trimedia communities of this city and Cagayan de Oro, and some 100 supporters and organizers of the Duterte-Robredo Movement led by Benjie Oliva and Rico Libre.

Among those of the top in almost every politician’s first agenda for health care is Philhealth. “In as much as we hate to pop the bubble,

INDEPENDENT research group IBON said that unless the Aquino administration gives a wage hike before its term ends, it will have given the smallest wage hikes since that of Cory Aquino which ended in 1992. Wage repression is among the biggest reasons why recent rapid growth has been exclusionary and benefiting elites rather than the majority of Filipinos, said IBON. The Aquino administration hiked the minimum wage five times since coming into power at the end of June 2016. The daily minimum wage in the National Capital Region (NCR) correspondingly rose from Php404 in July 2010 to Php481 today, or an increase of just Php77. The NCR has the highest minimum wage among all

See system, page A3

See hikes, page A11

See fully story, page A2

Mar Roxas’ social platform manifests his compassion for the poor MANILA – Presidentiable Mar Roxas has manifested his compassion and commitment to raise the standards of living for the poor and

marginalized Filipinos. He has vowed to continue to address the social inequity by further implementation of Pantawid Pamilyang See platform, page A11

See closure, page A9

Senior Police Officer 4 Renie Rombo (right) signs the release order before Commander Maya of the Eastern Misamis Oriental and North Eastern Bukidnon Command and Misamis Oriental Governor Bambi Emano (left), Monday (May 2), at Barangay Banglay, Lagonglong town, Misamis Oriental, where he was released through the efforts of third party facilitators from the Iglesia Filipina Independiente and the Local Crisis Committee from the provincial government. (CHENG ORDONEZ)

Why Philhealth is not the answer to the ailing public health care system THE Council for Health and Development (CHD), a nongovernment organization engaged in community-based health programs, registered its reaction to

the seeming endless (and some empty) promises of presidential and senatorial “wannabes” in next month’s national election scheduled on May 9.

Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.