Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
Volume III, No. 067
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Friday
See story P15.00 on Page 12 August 8, 2014
Mechanization raises income of soil tillers By PAT SAMONTE Regional Editor-Caraga and MENKENT JAY GUMAPAC Contributor
SAN AGUSTIN, Surigao del Sur––Soil tillers here are now into mechanized farming and earning more income. This, after availing themselves of the Community for Agricultural Development (CFAD) project under the Department of Agriculture-Mindanao Rural Development Program. See full story, page A5
5 SUCs in Mindanao get P44.53m for rehab
FIVE state universities and colleges in Mindanao have received a total of P44.53 million from the national government for rebuilding facilities damaged by the Zamboanga City standoff last year and other disasters, an official said Thursday. In a statement, House Assistant Majority Leader Gerald Anthony Gullas Jr. said these are Zamboanga State College of Marine See rehab, page A7
Regional Top Stories northmin
Misor resurrects from death bed of bankruptcy u A2 westmin
Local residents compete to build 200 stilt houses u A6 davao
Rep. Rufus B. Rodriguez,of Cagayan De Oro, with shovel (3rd from left), leads the groundbreaking ceremony for the CDO Coastal Bypass Road project costing P231 million in Lapasan, Cagayan De Oro City. Also in photo are City Councilor Zaldy Ocon, Atty. Roy Raagas, Rep.Maxie B. Rodriguez (ABAMINPARTYLIST), Brgy. Chairman Omar Labuntog, and Councilors Candy Darimbang and EricSalcedo. KENDISCHAVES
Groups decry human rights abuses in Kapalong town u A4
P100m for waterworks projects in Oro released By CRIS DIAZ, Executive Editor
CAGAYAN de Oro City–– The National Irrigation Administration (NIA) has released P 100 million for the water projects in the outskirt villages of Cagayan De Oro’s second district, a lawmaker said on Thursday. Rep. Rufus B. Rodriguez of the Cagayan De Oro’s second district said that the amount would be used in the installation of water facilities in the villages of Balubal, Tablon, Indahag and Taguanao here. “Actually, the water projA trader tries to lift a container full of fish to a waiting vehicle at the fish landing area in Bulua, Cagayan de Oro City, August 5, 2014. MindaNews photo by Erwin Mascarinas ect for the city’s outskirt
villages have already started and the NIA simply released an additional amount for the completion of the project,” Rodriguez said. He said that water is scarce in the concerned villages since some residents have to rely on rain waters and springs only. The provision of a stable water supply in Balubal, Tablon, Taguanao and Indahag, all in the city’s second congressional district, has been the obsession of the residents for many long See projects, page A7
‘PH disaster rehab, preparedness plans ignore ecosystems’ By H. Marcos C. Mordeno of MindaNews
THE country’s response to disasters like super typhoon Yolanda and its strategies for disaster preparedness have not been linked to ecosystem degradation and grassroots participation, an official said Wednesday. Commissioner Naderev Saño of the National Climate Change
Commission said climate change has given “an opportunity to pursue our country’s future”. For example, the damage caused by Yolanda gave an opportunity to restore an area based on a new model, Saño told participants to a workshop on climate change adaptation organized by the Ecosystem Alliance Philippines. But the response had focused
only on housing and other services and did not factor in the environment or ecosystem, he added. Aside from the absence of an ecosystem-based approach, grassroots participation in planning had also been neglected, he said. Ecological deficit Saño said the Philippines has experienced an “ecological deficit since the 1960s.” He cited the country’s declining
fish stocks, coral degradation and continuing loss of forest cover. “Less than one percent of our corals are in excellent condition, and less than three percent of primary forests are left,” he said. Saño attributed the degradation of corals to the rise in the earth’s temperature, which, he said, has increased by 0.85 degrees Celsius from the 1860s to 2012. He said that in the coming
decades global temperature is seen to rise by 2-6 degrees Celsius if the current rates of carbon emissions continue. “We have breached 400 parts per million of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In the last 800,000 years we had not reached 300 ppm. It can reach 900 ppm by 2100 if industrialization not addressed,” he said. See plans, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776