Page 1



I. INTRODUCTION About this Guidebook Ethics & Student Organizations About Student Organizations


II. GETTING STARTED Join or Create 06 Student Organization Recognition Process 07 Benefits of Recognition 07 Recognition Eligibility 08 Requirements for Registration 08 Re-Registration (Renewal) 08 Registration Steps 09 After Registration 09 Categories, Keywords and Affiliations 09 Constitution and Bylaws 10 University Sponsorship 11 Faculty/ Staff Advisor Support 11



Recruitment Program Ideas New Members Changing Your Organization’s Name Event Sponsorship Student Organization Mail Files Leadership Transition Office Space Michigan Union Office Space

12 12 13 13 13 14 14 16



Where to Get a Student Organization Account Designated Fund (DF) Account Closing an Account Commercial Bank Accounts Depositing Funds Using Funds in Your Account Adding/ Deleting Authorized Signers Purchase Orders “PeoplePay” Payment Process Stop Payments Transfer Funds Disbursement Authorization Form Tax Information Maintaining Balances Expense Account Codes

18 19 19 19 20 21 22 22 22 23 23 24 26 26 27

Planning for a Successful Event Preparing a Budget Facility Usage and Scheduling LSA Facilities Non-Academic Facilities Central Campus Diag Partnership Policy University Union’s Dance Party Policy Reserving University Vehicles Chartering U-M Buses Renting University Equipment Funding your Program Michigan Student Assembly Funding

28 29 30 30 30 32 34 34 34 36 36 37 38

VI. PUBLICITY/ SORC Publicity Planning Student Organization Resource Center Publicity Outlets Posting Flyers and Posters University Trademarks Student Organization Name Websites for Student Organizations

39 39 41 41 42 42 43

VII. POLICIES, GUIDELINES & RISK MANAGEMENT Non-Descrimination Policy Student Organization Accountability Process Status Alcohol Policy Contracts Date/ Slave Auctions insurance Party Policies Hazing Use of University Funds Travel Abroad Charitable Contributions Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations




44 44 45 45 46 47 48 48 48 49 49 50

LEADERSHIP FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD Leadership. When you read that word, chances are you pictured something in your mind. Did you think of motivation, influence, authority, guidance, or knowledge? Perhaps you thought of a particular person: someone who has inspired you, maybe a political figure, spiritual teacher, or even your next door neighbor. Whatever you pictured, this is only one example of what Leadership may mean in the University of Michigan community. University Unions believes that leadership is something more than just having a position in an organization or a simple set of skills. We believe that leadership is a process in which an individual initiates, directs, and/or assists a group to accomplish a shared goal, unified vision, or common purpose. Given that leadership takes many forms and has many definitions, the question becomes “leadership for what purpose?” At the University of Michigan, we believe every student has the capacity for leadership. The notion of leadership development is rooted in the University’s mission statement (see next page). Our mission is to “develop leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.” Leadership requires action, and getting involved is the first step towards challenging the present and enriching the future. University Unions is here to help you get involved. A core purpose and focus of our work is to provide opportunities for this leadership education. This focus has two dimensions: 1) individual leadership development and 2) leadership in the context of a community. Both are important; neither dimension functions in isolation of the other. Our work is guided by several principles: All students, by virtue of their status as U of M students and future graduates, are leaders and have the potential for leadership. ●● We strive to strengthen the interconnectedness of curricular and co-curricular arenas through partnerships for purpose and development of the whole being. ●● Leadership requires self-awareness, humility, and the ability to communicate effectively with others. ●● We are intentional in creating an environment of pervasive leadership education which focuses on preparing students to serve as contributing members of an interdependent world. ●●

There are several values which serve as the foundation of our understanding of leadership here at Michigan: being authentic, taking initiative, acting with mutuality, and engaging in responsible stewardship. We believe that our student leaders will engage in initiatives that enhance society. They will pursue lives of integrity and authenticity. We call this Leadership for the Public Good.

The Framework There are eight leadership capacities which embody the framework of Leadership for the Public Good and guide our work. They are:

Individual Capacities ●● ●● ●● ●●

Empathy Commitment, Self-Awareness, Organizational Competence,

Group Capacities ●● ●● ●● ●●

Inclusion, Shared Purpose, Collaboration, and Learning Environment.

A true steward of the public good does not possess knowledge alone, nor does s/he excel in only one capacity; a leader understands the need to incorporate theory and practice, as well as, to be fueled by the desire to be an engaged citizen. The framework refers to these developmental levels as knowledge, skills, and attitudes. Leaders for the public good are in constant pursuit of understanding: a better understanding of themselves and those around them. At all times, these leaders aim to leave a legacy for those who follow.

How Student Organizations Fit In Student organizations are the living laboratories in which leadership skills are gained and honed. They give students an opportunity to pursue their interests, to succeed, to fail, and most importantly, to grow. Not all academic classrooms will give you the chance to take responsibility and have accountability at the level that involvement in a student organization will allow. Leadership is not merely a collection of skills; leaders must forge their style through experiences that allow them to build and apply organizational and individual capacities for the public good. Student organizations are one of the few opportunities that students have to gain hands-on experience working towards the public good.

Using this Guidebook This guidebook is the start on your path to becoming a leader for the public good through your experience in student organizations. Use this information to help get you introduced, acclimated, and most importantly involved. Refer to it when you have questions. If your question goes beyond the scope of this book, please reach beyond it to University Unions, SOAS, or another University office.



Copyright (c) 2011 Regents of the University of Michigan



The Mission of the University of Michigan The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving, and applying knowledge, art and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.

Regents of the University of Michigan

Michigan students make a difference, both on campus and around the world. One way to make a difference is through student organization involvement. The Student Organization Accounts Services (SOAS) and University Unions (UU) are your partners in helping you navigate your involvement experience at Michigan. This Guidebook is intended to be used as a tool to guide you on your journey to making a difference and enhancing your co-curricular experience at Michigan. In your pursuit to make a difference, SOAS will work with you to manage your financial resources and accounts. Our services include those you might expect of any financial institution, but also include monthly itemized statements of activity, space reservations, assistance with University purchasing, and treasurer training. Your path to making a difference will have challenges, and by being prepared, seeking assistance, and asking good questions, your organization will be more resilient and effective. The Univeristy Unions staff recognizes the vital role of student leaders and their organizations in promoting cultural, social, academic, professional development and leadership activities on the University of Michigan campus. Our staff looks forward to supporting your co-curricular pursuits. Let this journey be yours and make a difference on our campus and in the world!

Julia Donovan Darlow, Ann Arbor Laurence B. Deitch, Bingham Farms Denise Ilitch, Bingham Farms Olivia P. Maynard, Goodrich Andrea Fischer Newman, Ann Arbor Andrew C. Richner, Grosse Pointe Park S. Martin Taylor, Grosse Pointe Farms Katherine E. White, Ann Arbor Mary Sue Coleman (ex officio)

Published by:

Student Organization Accounts Service (SOAS) 2400 Michigan Union 530 S. State St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308 (734) 763-5767

University Unions Center for Campus Involvement 2205 Michigan Union 530 S. State St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308 (734) 763-5900


Emory Mulholland Manager

Student Organization Accounts Service

Susan Pile Director Michigan Union & Campus Involvement

ABOUT THIS GUIDEBOOK As units of the Division of Student Affairs, SOAS and University Unions share in the mission to enhance the quality of campus life and the total educational experience of Michigan students. We offer a variety of services and resources to assist your organization with its financial management needs. We are always looking for better ways to serve you! To that end, we have combined our resources to create this Guidebook that offers you a starting place for common tasks of your student organization. We have included information that will help you run an effective organization, conducting sound financial transactions, effective marketing and university policy review. If you come across a topic where you would like more information, please visit or stop in and visit our office locations.

ETHICS & STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS As a member of a student organization at the University of Michigan, you are expected to exemplify the principles of honesty and integrity. As a member of the university community, you will be expected to uphold University policies and procedures, always acting in good faith when conducting your organizational business. Further, you are expected not to misrepresent the mission, purpose or goals of your organization. By upholding the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations, you will garner a positive reputation for your student organization, and student organizations in general, and continue to be recognized as a student organization in good standing with and of great value to the University of Michigan.

ABOUT STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS Student organizations at the University of Michigan are based on, centered around, and led, governed, and directed by students. Each is focused around a guiding mission and works to realize that mission. These organizations make a difference in the lives of student members by creating a niche for students who might otherwise be overwhelmed in an institution of over 50,000 people. Organizations are arranged on a wide gamut of topics, interests, and fields of study. The large number of organizations allows each organization to maintain a high degree of focus upon their particular mission. When coupled with the dedication of its student members, the cultural, social, and academic climate on campus is greatly enriched. Student organizations have had real and profound effects on the University and the outside world through their vision, accomplishments, and determination. Student Organizations: 1. Are student led and organized. 2. Provide opportunities for: ●● leadership development ●● organizational skills ●● budget handling and development ●● vision ●● strategic planning ●● creative thinking ●● problem solving 3. Adhere

to the policies and procedures of the University of Michigan




JOIN OR CREATE Every great initiative begins with an idea. You have to move quickly to make sure that the energy that accompanies a new idea does not fizzle. You also have to move with intention and care to make sure that the energy is focused into the most constructive way to bring your idea to life. Student leaders who have an idea for a student organization often underestimate the variety of organizations already on campus. With over 1200 student organizations, U-M students already explore a huge variety of interests through their cocurricular experience. It may be helpful to search for student organizations who are already engaged in the topic area of your idea. Maize Pages is the online listing of student organizations. You can search on any Keyword, Category, Name, or interest that you may have. If you find an organization that is working in the same field

in which you have an interest, you need to make a decision to either go ahead and create your new organization or to join an existing one. U-M encourages its students to form student organizations because they provide students with invaluable experience. Some of this experience comes from starting an organization. While its nice to have the title of founder, the real value of involvement is far more than any title. You may decide that you want to skip creating a new organization and get right to participating in such things as ommunity service, sports, professional exploration, or the theatre with groups that are already well established. Getting involvement also builds skills such as communication, teamwork, group dynamics, in general - Leadership. If you want to join an existing student organization, use the contact information on Maize Pages to see how you can contribute. If you want to start your own organization, read on.


Academic Year search by KEYWORD

browse by TYPE



browse by TAG

STUDENT ORGANIZATION RECOGNITION PROCESS Whether you are new to the recognition process or are looking to re-register your student organization, this guide will help you navigate the necessary steps to acquire recognition. Student Organizations contribute significantly to a vibrant campus experience by providing social and academic outlets for exploration and growth. They provide opportunities and lessons on academic engagement, leadership, accountability, goal-setting, collaboration, team-work, fiscal responsibility, decision-making, problem solving and the value of diversity. The University of Michigan is committed to bridging connections between student organizations, its advisors and the institution to foster an environment that supports the interests of student groups, as well as those of the University of Michigan. The recognition process for student organizations is intended to uphold these privileges and acknowledge the agreement to operate within the University’s mission and values. All required steps to achieve recognition are a direct result of years of dialogue, research and policy review to facilitate the recognition of student organizations.

Registration Timeline

Recognition can take an estimated 5 business days to complete if you plan accordingly and provide all required information. The timeline includes constitution approval, authorized signer nomination approval and SOAS account number assignments. ALL student groups must complete the registration process EVERY year the organization is active. Recognition expires October 1st of every year. Organizations that fail to re-register between May 1st and September 30th will be considered inactive and forfeit the benefits of recognized student organizations. Groups may register a student organization at any time. To check on your organization’s progress throughout the Recognition Process, you can check the status page at:

Student Organization Status

The University of Michigan recognizes two types of student organizations each with an assigned “Status.” The difference between the two is defined by a contractual relationship or connection between the student organization and a university department, college or office.

Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO’s)

The first, Voluntary Student Organizations, make up the majority of recognized student organizations on campus. For new organizations that are seeking recognition, this is the initial and only status option available for selection.

Sponsored Student Organizations (SSO’s)

The second, Sponsored Student Organizations, are organizations that have completed a Sponsorship Agreement between the organization and a sponsor affiliated with the university. A sponsor may be a university department, school/college or office. The SSO Class cannot be selfselected and is only available to VSO’s that have submitted a signed Sponsorship Agreement form. Once the agreement is approved, the SOAR status will be switched from VSO to SSO. All sponsored organizations are required to have a faculty/staff advisor.

BENEFITS OF RECOGNITION The list of available benefits below for VSO’s and SSO’s are available upon completion of the recognition process:



Access to an SOAS account Ability to benefit from University’s taxexempt status Ability to accept tax deductible contributions University insurance coverage Eligible for University funding On campus mailing address Use of University Purchasing Card Use or rent University Equipment Rent University vehicles Ability to reserve university space and be eligible for discounted rates Ability to use “The University of Michigan” or derivation thereof in the organization’s name. Ability to use University Trademarks Access to campus-wide publicity resources through the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) Eligible for office Space in 1-of-3 University Unions: Michigan Union, Michigan League, Pierpont Commons Access to host a student organization website

Yes NO

Yes Yes



NO Yes Yes NO Yes Yes Yes

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes



NO Yes

Yes Yes









There are a few eligibility requirements to consider before initiating the recognition process. Please read carefully as these restrictions could apply to your organization:

The following list are requirements for registration. We encourage you to have this information before starting the registration process. Once you have this information ready, proceed to to begin registration.

A. Membership - At least 1/2 of your members must be currently enrolled students at the University of Michigan. In addition, at least 2/3 of members must be affiliated with the University of Michigan in some capacity including students, alumni, faculty and staff. B. Financial Management - No organizations may be created whereby members directly benefit financially from the group’s activities. In addition, only currently enrolled students can be nominated as authorized signers to conduct financial business with the Student Organization Accounts Service Office (SOAS). C. Naming a Student Organization – Student Organizations may NOT have “The University of Michigan” at the beginning of the organization’s name without having an SSO classification (see page 42). D. University Sponsorship – The following are NOT eligible to become an SSO: Religious organizations National organizations Lobbying organizations Independently Incorporated organizations E. Standards of Conduct – By registering your student organization you agree to abide by all campus rules and regulations including but not limited to: ●● ●● ●● ●●

Non-Discrimination Policy Hazing Policies Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations ●● Outdoor Common Areas Usage Policy ●● Contracts Policy ●● Alcohol Policy ●● Student Organization Accounts Service (SOAS) Policies ●● ●● ●●

A. Membership Data – A minimum of 10 members are required to register a student organization. The 10 members must be currently enrolled students. The following information is required from 10 members of your organization: uniquename, UM ID #, First and Last Name and Phone #. B. Authorized Signers – From your 10 members, you will have the opportunity to select 3-4 authorized signers. These are individuals that will conduct most university business on campus such as reserve space, conduct financial transactions with SOAS and nominate new authorized signers. (Note: additional signers may be added after registration has been approved). Once members have been nominated, an e-mail will be sent asking the nominee to accept the role at: C. Upload Constitution – You will have the opportunity to upload your student organization’s constitution during the registration process or use the online template to draft your initial constitution. For additional help, you may also view the public constitutions on Maize Pages ( All constitutions must abide by the University of Michigan’s NonDiscrimination Policy; please consider this document integral to the operations and conduct of your student organization. D.

For Sponsored Student Organizations – Submit a signed copy of your Sponsorship Agreement form to 2205 Michigan Union as well a copy to the sponsor. Agreements do not expire and the relationship may be canceled at any time by the student organization as well as by the sponsor.

RE-REGISTRATION (RENEWAL) Understanding the difference between re-registration (also known as a renewal) vs. creating a new organization can save you time and avoid issues arising from duplicate groups. If your student organization has been previously recognized by the University of Michigan, select the organization from the drop-down list. DO NOT create a new organization or you will lose access to your original SOAS account.




ALL organizations must Register EVERY academic year before September 30!


through all requirements, rights and benefits of registering a student organization. Click on the red “Next” button on the lower-right of your screen to proceed onto the next screen.

2. Enter

all required membership information data for 10 members and select 3-4 of them to become authorized signers. You may add additional signers later.

3. Complete

Organization contact information, mission & programs and other details pertinent to your organization.

4. Complete

the SOAS Account Request and Current Status. (Note: if you are renewing your recognition, the system will ask if you would like to renew your account information with SOAS).

5. Complete

the Organization Survey

6. Complete the Quiz; the system will alert you of incorrect

answers. All questions must be answered correctly in order to proceed.

7. Agree

to the terms and complete registration.

8. Submit

your organization’s constitution. Use the online template or upload a constitution. You may also return later and visit: constitution to upload your constitution at a later time (select your organization from the drop-down menu).

AFTER REGISTRATION Browse your group listing on Maize Pages (www. and contact to make any changes to your profile information ●● Review your constitution periodically; if you change your organization’s name, DO NOT create a new organization. Complete a Name Alteration Form and update your constitution with the new name. ●● Remember to re-register your organization every year before September 30! ●● For a list of Frequently Asked Questions, visit: ●●


CATEGORIES, KEYWORDS AND AFFILIATIONS Each student organization can choose one Category, three Keywords, and one Affiliation during the Recognition Process. Each of these make it easier for interested students to make contact with your organization. Students can search on any or all of these through Maize Pages (www.studentorgs.umich. edu/maize) to find your organization. Maize Pages will also allow a student to find organizations with the same three keywords, same Category, or same Affiliation. Give some thought as to which best describe your organization. If you choose an Affiliation, that must be confirmed by the affiliate. Any information that is displayed on Maize Pages is eligible to be shared with the Affiliate to reduce the duplication of registrations with different organizations.

Category Choose the one that best describes your organization. ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Academic/ Honor Societies Activism Creative and Performing Arts Cultural/ Ethnic Governance Organizations Graduate/ Professional Health and Wellness Media and Creative Writing Religious/ Spiritual Science and Technology Service/ Service Learning Social Fraternity/ Sorority Sports Clubs and Recreation

Affiliation If, and only if, your organization is directly affiliated with a student government or other body, please choose that affiliation. University Activities Center (UAC) Interfraternity Council (IFC) Panhellenic Association Multicultural Greek Council National Pan-Hellenic Council Engineering Council (UMEC) Ross Student Governing Association (SGA) Michigan Student Assembly (MSA) Law Student Senate If you choose an affiliation, the nature of the affiliation must be confirmed by the affiliate. Any information that is displayed on Maize Pages is eligible to be shared with the affiliate to reduce the duplication of registrations with different organizations. ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●



CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS The Constitution of an organization contains the fundamental principles which govern its operation. The By-laws establish the specific rules of guidance by which the group is to follow and implement. All recognized organizations must have their basic structure and methods of operation in writing as this is one of the primary requirements to becoming recognized by the University of Michigan. This constitution will be reviewed to ensure that it meets the minimum requirements of the University. The goal of the constitution is to provide current and potential members with: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

What the organization does. How-to and who can be a member. How the organization is run. Structure, elections, meetings duties, etc. How the organization complies with university policy

The Constitution covers the fundamental principles but does not prescribe specific procedures for operating your organization. By-Laws detail the procedures your group must follow to conduct business in an orderly manner. They provide further definition to the Articles of the Constitution and usually can be changed more easily as the needs of the organization change. By-Laws must not contradict provisions in the Constitution. They generally contain specific information on the following topics: 1. Membership

(selection requirements, resignations, expulsion, rights and duties)

2. Dues

(amount and collection procedures, any special fees, when payable)

3. Duties

of Officers (powers, responsibilities, specific job descriptions, removal and length of office)

4. Executive

Board (structure, composition, powers)

5. Committees 6. Order

(chairpersons, meetings, powers, duties)

of Business (agenda for conducting meetings)

7. Parliamentary Authority

(provisions for rules of order, generally Roberts Rules of Order - Newly Revised)

8. Amendment

Procedures (means of proposals, notice required, voting requirements)

9. Other

specific policies and procedures unique to your organization necessary for its operation

During registration, you will be presented with the option to upload a new constitution or use the online template that allows you create a constitution by answering a series of questions. Be advised that a constitution generated from this template with basic “yes” and “no” answers will not get approved, a substantial amount of material and effort must be evident in order to get approved. (It is highly encouraged that



you include the University of Michigan Non-Discrimination Policy or draft a non-discrimination policy unique to your organization.) Additional information and for an example of how to draft a constitution, please visit: www.studentorgs.


Purpose of Sponsorship The purpose of the sponsoring relationship is to support the potential of student organizations from within University units, while strengthening the mission of the University. Faculty, staff, and students offer each other invaluable opportunities for interaction, learning, and development through commitment to common goals. Through sponsorship, the University gives its units the chance to align with student organizations in order to actively contribute to the cultural, social, and academic life on campus and enhance student life at the University. The University also offers the student organization its resources in order to allow the organization to fulfill its mission and attain its goals. University sponsorship of a student organization or a student organization’s program can be established only by a written agreement between the organization and a University unit. University sponsorship is the determining factor between Sponsored and Voluntary organizations and brings with it benefits, while holding the organization to same level of institutional scrutiny as the unit is held.

Sponsorship Agreement A student organization becomes an SSO by turning in a completed Sponsorship Agreement to 2205 Michigan Union. An event becomes a sponsored event through the completion of an Event Sponsorship Agreement between the Registered Student Organization (RSO) and the University unit. Sponsors and student organizations are strongly encouraged to maintain records of these forms. NOTE: Financial support by a University unit is not enough to establish sponsorship. Advertising should accurately reflect the level of support given by a University unit (e.g. If a student organization receives only funds from a University unit, their advertisements may read “Supported by funds from the Office of X” but it may not read “Sponsored by the Office of X”). Student organizations that receive a proposal of sponsorship from an academic or operational unit of the University should be aware of two things: 1. That

the University views the organization, through its efforts, as worthwhile and vital, and therefore commits itself to provide support for the organization and its endeavors. 2. The organization would be a representative of the University; therefore, a high level of accountability from

the organization will be required, while recognizing the importance of the organization’s self-direction and student leadership. Academic or Operational units that wish to sponsor a student organization must be committed to the support of that organization’s mission and activities. In addition to formal advising, unit support may take any of the following forms: financial, administrative, office and/or operational space.

Contact Information University Units are encouraged to seek out and support student organizations, through Sponsorship or other means. A unit considering entering a Sponsorship can get more information from the authors of this guidebook, General Counsel: (734) 764-0304 and the Risk Management


We strongly believe that students should conduct the business of their own organization(s). However, faculty and staff advisors can assist your organization in many ways. The leadership of an organization changes almost every year. An advisor may have a better sense than any of the student leaders of how an organization and the University operate. An advisor can provide a framework to the student leaders and organization members for such matters as university policies and procedures, how to accomplish administrative tasks on campus, and what activities the organization can expect to participate in during the course of a year. An advisor is vital to the continuity of an organization by serving as a bridge from one year to the next for the organization. Sponsored Student Organizations (SSO’s) are required to have an advisor.

Department: (734) 764-2200

Important Sponsorship Information The Sponsoring Unit must provide an advisor. The mission of the student organization must be aligned with both the Sponsoring Unit’s mission and that of the University. ●● The Sponsoring Unit and the Student Organization should negotiate the Sponsorship Agreement and file a copy at 2205 Michigan Union. ●● Both parties must understand and agree to the procedure for joint operations such as accepting tax deductible gifts and entering into contracts. ●● Sponsorship agreements automatically renew each year unless either party wants to modify the agreement. If a party wishes to modify the agreement, it should begin negotiations before the beginning of the next school year. New or modified agreements must be on record at 2205 Michigan Union. In the event of a new signatory in the unit, a new agreement must be submitted. It is advised that the unit and the student organization review and initial the agreement each year. Note: Some sponsoring units require new agreements to be signed each year. ●● The sponsorship agreement must contain the above provisions and have the signature of the sponsoring Executive Officer, Dean, or Director. ●● ●●





UTILIZE YOUR DOCUMENTS Remember the reasons for having a Constitution and By-Laws. They articulate the purpose of your organization and spell out the procedures to be followed for its orderly functioning. Constitutions usually require a 2/3 vote of the membership for adoption. By-Laws generally only require a simple majority for passage. Once you have developed your Constitution and By-Laws review them often. The needs of your group will change over time and it’s important that the Constitution and By-Laws are kept up to date to reflect the current state of affairs. Make sure every new member of the organization has a copy of them. This will help to unify your members by informing them about the opportunities that exist for participation and the procedures they should follow to be an active, contributing member. A thorough study of the Constitution and By-Laws should be a part of officer training and transition. SOURCE: University of Iowa “Student Organization Resource Manual”


Mass Meetings It is important to use Mass Meetings to give potential members more information about your organization and offer an easy way to get started while making a concerted effort not to pressure anyone into joining your organization.

Information Tabling Spaces like the central campus Diag are available for reservation by Recognized Student Organizations and University departments on campus. These high-traffic areas are an ideal location to host your next event, or simply have information tables to promote your organization to recruit new members. Visit the Facilities Page for other bookable spaces.



Student Organization Festivals* 1. Festifall

and NorthFest (Fall Semester) - Festifall and NorthFest are opportunities for any campus organization or university department to showcase what they have to offer to the greater student community. These events occur every Fall semester on the Central Campus Diag and North Campus Diag respectively. They are excellent ways to recruit new members and publicize your organization with participation of up to 700 diverse student organizations every year.

2. Winterfest

(Winter Semester) - Winterfest is winter’s version of Festifall and NorthFest, except the event is held indoors.

*Register for the three student organization information fairs at:


Welcoming of New Members Plan a special ceremony or meeting to welcome the new members to the group. Group participation in some form of official initiation process is one way to make your members feel wanted, needed, and appreciated. It helps to form a memorable bond between old and new members and will help increase your retention rate. For information on the following topics: ●●

Recruiting New Members


Orienting New Members


Running an Effective Meeting

Please visit:

CHANGING YOUR ORGANIZATION’S NAME If your student organization wishes to change the organization name, after completing the Recognition Process, they may complete an Organization Name Alteration form, available at: namechange. The name change will require an SOAS project/grant number, the old name, the desired name, and the signature of 2 authorized signers. Once complete, the form should be turned in to SOAS who will change the name on the account. After SOAS approves the name change on the account, the form must be submitted to 2205 Michigan Union who will update the Maize Pages information for the group. Once submitted, the name is changed in our records.

EVENT SPONSORSHIP Some academic and university units may not want to commit to a sponsoring relationship with a student organization for the whole year, but may want to sponsor an event of a student organization. This one-time event sponsorship is a great way for units to show their support of the work that student organizations do, while allowing the organization perform at a high level of accomplishment. Sponsoring an event with a student organization is a statement of recognition by the University of Michigan that the event is a key element in helping the University realize its mission. Student organizations that receive a proposal of event sponsorship from an academic or operational unit of the University should be aware of two things: 1. That

the University views the organization, through its efforts in creating this event, as worthwhile and vital, and therefore commits itself to provide support for the event.

2. The

event would be representative of the University; therefore, a higher level of accountability from the organization will be required, while recognizing the importance of the organization’s self-direction and student leadership.

Academic or operational units that wish to sponsor a student organization event must be committed to the support of that event’s mission and activities. Unit support may take any of the following forms: advising, financial, administrative, office and/or operational space, etc.

Important Event Sponsorship Information ●●

Sponsoring Unit may provide an advisor for the event.


The mission of the event should be aligned with both the Sponsoring Unit’s mission and that of the University.


The student organization(s) named in this agreement must be either Voluntary Student Organizations or Sponsored Student Organizations at the University of Michigan.


Both parties must agree to and carry out a negotiation meeting for this proposal. At the successful end of such a meeting, both parties must sign an Event Sponsorship Agreement and retain a copy.


Event sponsorship agreements expire at the end of the event, unless expressly stated otherwise.


The unit or student organization may require that a statement of sponsorship be included on printed materials. Provisions like this should be expressly stated.


The sponsorship agreement must contain the above provisions and have the signature of the sponsoring Executive Officer, Dean, or Director.

Download the Event Sponsorship Agreement (PDF) at:

STUDENT ORGANIZATION MAIL FILES As you plan your program or conduct business for your organization, you may have the need for individuals or businesses to get in touch with you. A great way to put forward a credible and professional face is to have a mailing address. MSA offers your organization a FREE way to do this. When you register your organization, you can choose to have a mail file in the MSA office if you are a VSO or a SSO. Mail files are located in MSA’s lobby area (3909 Michigan Union), and can be accessed between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM on weekdays during the Fall/ Winter terms. Please check with MSA for Spring/Summer schedules. ●●

You must register for a mail file by the end of the first month of each term in order to have a mail file for that term.


Your group will not receive a new mail file until you receive mail specifically addressed to you.


Due to our limited space, we cannot maintain mail files which solely receive promotional mass mailings and advertisements.

Mail for your group should be picked up weekly. MSA is not responsible for notifying groups that they have received mail. If your mail file has not been checked in one month and/or is stuffed with a large amount of specificallyaddressed mail, your contact person will be notified once. The mail file will be discontinued, its contents thrown away, and all further correspondence returned to sender if the situation persists. The address your student organization should use if you have a mail file at MSA is: Your student organization’s name 3909 Michigan Union Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308 III. EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION




Whether you are a founding member of an organization or an emerging student leader assuming a leadership role, you will want a place to begin - a blueprint for your leadership role. Before you prepare to pass the mantle of leadership to another set of members, you can provide them with these “blueprints.” This is the basis of effective and smooth leadership transition.

Office Space Overview

Why Plan a leadership transition? Provides for the transfer of significant organizational knowledge. ●● Minimizes the confusion of leadership changeover. ●● Gives outgoing leaders a sense of closure. ●● Celebrates the valuable contributions of experienced leaders. ●● Helps incoming leadership absorb the special expertise of the outgoing leadership. ●● Increases the knowledge and confidence of the new leadership. ●● Minimizes the loss of momentum and accomplishments for the group. ●●

What should be transferred?

The following list consists of items that can help to ease the leadership transition in your organization. This list is not exhaustive; if there is some document or item that is specific to your organization it should be included. Constitution and by-laws Organizational goals and objectives from previous year(s) Job descriptions/role clarification Evaluations of previous projects and programs Previous minutes and reports Financial records, budgets, previous programming and the current ●● Guidebook for Recognized Student Organizations ●● Resources, contact and mailing lists NOTE: The transfer should not be limited to just written materials. ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Outgoing Leadership Should: Write and share reports containing traditions, ideas or completed projects, continuing projects and concerns, or ideas never carried out. ●● Go through personal and organizational files. ●● Acquaint new officers with physical environment, supplies, equipment and relevant University staff/faculty (including your advisor). An effective transition also includes teambuilding, organizational goal-setting, and learning each other’s work styles, among other organizational topics pertinent to your organization. If you are intersted in receiving more engaged support or direction on planning your next leadership transition please contact Student Organizational Support (SOS) at: ●●



The Division of Student Affairs allows student organizations to apply for office space through the Office Space Allocation Committee (OSAC). Designated spaces are assigned in the Michigan League, Michigan Union, Pierpont Commons, and Trotter Multicultural Center. The assignment of office space to a student organization in these facilities is considered to be a privilege, not a right. The space available for this purpose is a very limited resource that will be allocated pursuant to this policy and related documents. Responsibility for the space falls to Operational Managers of the respective facilities. Student organizations allocated office space are expected to use the space to help accomplish organizational goals and contribute to a sense of community among other student organization offices within the respective facility. Any student organization not meeting these expectations, or the conditions for which the group was originally allocated space, is subject to review and possible expulsion from the office space.

Student Organization Office Space Allocation Process Student organizations must be in compliance with the Student Organization and Recognition (SOAR) Standards to be eligible to apply, receive, and maintain office space. OSAC Committees will select organizations that are recognized organizations in good standing, and can demonstrate organizational effectiveness and added value to the University community. OSAC Committees will seek to select organizations that together create a multi-faceted community (e.g. large and small, different goals and purposes, different types of organizations). All decisions for allocating office space will be conducted in a content neutral manner. OSAC Committees will use the following core criteria to award space. Evidence of significant student participation and membership in the organization ●● Purpose for desired office space ●● Detailed list of goals and activities for the past academic year and up coming year ●● Potential impact on student life ●● Evidence of collaboration and cooperation with other groups within the University community ●● Effective use of space in the past (if applicable) ●●

The following will be carried out to ensure a smooth allocation process. 1. There

will be a Student Organization Office Space Allocation Committee (OSAC) specific to each facility. Each committee, consisting of student and staff representatives, will coordinate the details of the allocation process for each facility. By Fall semester, the Convener (rotating facility manager) will schedule a meeting with a representative from each facility Allocation Committee to share information and to lead the overall coordination of the allocation process.

2. Information

regarding the application process will be sent by the Michigan Student Assembly (MSA) to all recognized student organizations by Fall Break of each year.

3. Student

Organization Office Applications will be available on-line from Fall Break until the first full week of Winter Semester.

4. Completed

applications will be distributed to each facility’s Allocation Committee for review and decisionmaking. The application will consist of core questions, identical for all facilities, as well as questions specific to each facility. Core criteria (as noted above) used to evaluate each application will be consistently used throughout the facilities, and in all cases decision by facility Allocation Committees will be carried out in a content neutral manner.

5. To

determine if any organization has been allocated space in more than one facility a meeting involving a representative from each facility’s Allocation Committee will be arranged by the Convener prior to announcing initial allocation decisions. Any student organization being recommended for multiple office space sites will be placed in only a single site, accommodating the student organization’s preferences if possible. Placement adjustments will be coordinated by the Convener and the specific allocation Committee representatives.

Student Organization Office Space Allocation Appeals Decisions of a facility’s Office Space Allocation Committee may be appealed to an Appeals Committee. The OSAC Appeals Committee will be comprised of a member from each of the individual facility OSAC committees. In addition, the Building Director (or designee) of the facility in question will sit on the Appeals Committee in an ex-officio nonvoting capacity, to provide background information related to decision-making by the initial OSAC committee. Grounds for appeal shall be limited to non-allocation of office space by a student organization that believes it otherwise properly followed office space allocation procedures, or an administrative or procedural oversight that may have affected the office space allocation outcome. An appeal must be submitted in writing to MSA during regular office hours, with the president, chairperson or equivalent signature. Appeals must be submitted according to the established timeline, and no later than one week following office space allocation postings. In no more than a single typed page, the appealing organization should explain why they believe they should be granted an appeal. Appeals will be reviewed within five business days of the Appeals deadline by the Appeals Committee. The Appeals Committee may seek information from the student organization, with formal appeal hearings scheduled as necessary. Groups will be notified of the time and location. The organization requesting the appeal can bring no more than three members to the appeal hearing. Only oral presentations with a typed supplement will be considered at the hearing. The Appeals Committee shall notify the organization of their decision regarding the appeal no later than five business days after the conclusion of the appeals hearings.

6. Final

notification of the outcomes of the allocation process will be announced by each facility’s Committee no later than the end of Winter Term.

7. The

Convener role will rotate among the Facility Directors annually. The responsibilities of the Convener include assuring all policy and procedural requirements are met (including availability of information, timelines, meeting scheduling, etc.)


8. The Convener will arrange a meeting with representatives

from each facility’s OSAC Committee, the Director of University Unions and the MSA program manager within 6 weeks of the conclusion of the annual allocation process. This group will review the effectiveness of the process and propose changes, as necessary, to the Vice President of Student Affairs or designee.



MICHIGAN UNION OFFICE SPACE The Office Space Allocation Process allows student organizations to apply to have office space in the Michigan Union, Michigan League, Pierpont Commons, and the Trotter Multicultural Center. The guidelines set out here are for the Michigan Union only; student organizations with offices in other buildings should contact the building manager for rules and regulations for that building.

About Michigan Union Office Space The fourth floor of the Michigan Union houses the most offices space for student organizations. This section will provide an overview of some of the rules and regulations regarding this space. Student organizations that are allocated office space outside of the Michigan Union should familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations of that facility. NOTE: The Michigan Union Administration reserves the right to enter and inspect your office space at any time to determine compliance with your contract or for any other reasonable purpose. Loss of space may occur if an organization does not conduct its activities in accordance with the provisions expressed in the office space license contract, and its addendum. Assignments are subject to review and/or termination at any time by the Michigan Union Administration, MUBR, or MSA. In no instance is it permissible for a student organization to share office space with another student organization (or group) without knowledge and written approval of MUBR, MSA, and Union Administrators.

Safety, Security, and Cleanliness Security for our students is important to the Michigan Union Board of Representatives, Michigan Student Assembly, and the Union. Please help us maintain a safe environment by following some simple, but important guidelines:



Keep your office door locked and valuables secured when unattended. Do not loan office keys to anyone and immediately report any lost or stolen keys to the Building Manager on duty via Campus Information Centers (CIC) at 764-INFO (4636).


Inform the Building Manager if you see any suspicious individuals.


If you need to call the Department of Public Safety (7631131) for any reason, also alert the Building Manager as soon as possible.


General upkeep, maintenance, and custodial service is provided for the common areas of the Union. Student groups are expected to maintain clean working spaces at all times. You should call 936-0869 for maintenance help or complete the Work Order Entry Form at: http://uuis.


Recycling is highly encouraged at the Michigan Union. Recycling bins have been placed in each office, and it is III. EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION

the responsibility of the student organizations to maintain and empty their own bin. Receptacles have been placed outside SORC and in the Banner Production Area (more can be found throughout the building). Mixed office paper and containers can be recycled at these receptacles. Cardboard should be taken down to the loading dock. For battery recycling, or any other recycling questions, contact the U-M Recycling Office at 763-5539. ●●

Courteousness is expected at all times as the Union is a community environment. Please be respectful of and responsive to your neighbors.

Rules and Regulations Smoking, Illegal Drugs, and Alcoholic Beverages, other than alcohol provided by MU Catering Services in conference rooms, are NOT allowed in the Michigan Union under any circumstances. The Michigan Union is a smoke-free environment and, therefore, smoking in any area of the fourth floor is prohibited. Damage to any area of the Union will not be tolerated. This includes non-malicious damage such as that done to walls by putting up posters, notices, etc. Special putty (e.g. DAP Funtak) may be used, but no nails or tape! Also, please treat your office furniture with care. Any damage to the office furniture should be reported to the Building Manager on duty in Room 1310 during normal business hours and via CIC other hours. Computers may be secured in your office as long as security devices do not cause damage to the desk, walls, etc. Please consult a Michigan Union representative if you have any question. Organizations will be held responsible for any damage to their office unless: The damage has been noted on the Office Condition Inventory and confirmed by Michigan Union staff. ●● The damage is normal wear and tear as determined by Michigan Union staff. ●● The damage is the result of a maintenance problem that has been properly reported. ●● If the inventory form has not been completed and returned, the Michigan Union will assume that your room and its furnishings were in perfect condition when your organization initially moved in. ●● Materials considered offensive to a reasonable student or other person passing by should NOT be visible from the hallways or windows. ●● Violations of the ordinances, rules, or regulations can lead to early termination of your contract or further actions under the standard of conduct. ●● The Michigan Union does not assume any liability for loss, theft, or damage to personal property, or to personal injury incurred while using its facilities. ●● Under no circumstances is sub-leasing permitted. ●● Under no circumstance is your office to be occupied outside of building hours. Note: Building hours will vary during holiday breaks. ●●

Telephone Office Telephone Service is available from IT Communications (ITCom). Organizations wishing to obtain telephone service need an SOAS account with available funds, since monthly charges will be assessed. You will need to go to the Business Office in the Union with your SOAS chartfield information (your account number), your office room number, and the phone jack number (located on the top of the phone jack plate). Processing will take between two and three weeks, and a representative will need to be present at installation. There is also a campus phone located in the fourth floor lobby for your use in making intra-University calls. Charges will vary with choice of services, so please contact ITCom at 7632000 to determine applicable prices, or visit www.itcom.itd. for a much more comprehensive listing of available services and charges. These prices are subject to change. NOTE: Once your university phone is installed, calls to intra-university numbers only require that the last five digits of the number be dialed. Outside calls require a 9.

Internet Access Ethernet access is available in student offices. Each office receives a single line at no charge. Student organizations that wish to take advantage of this service must obtain an IP address and must abide by all applicable regulations regarding information technology resources, including policies established by the University, University Unions, Merit Networks, and ITCS. For more information, visit www. Web cameras and web servers may not be operated in the Michigan Union due to excessive bandwith consumption. Users are required to keep computers fully patched with antivirus software and Windows updates and no wireless access points are permitted in offices. Failure to abide by these regulations will result in removal of Ethernet access from the office.

Office Keys Each group with office space will be assigned two office keys that will be available through the Campus Information Centers (CIC), located on the first floor near the main entrance. An authorized representative from your group must submit an Office Key List to CIC, identifying members who are authorized to check out keys for your office. You will need to provide each member’s Student ID number. No keys will be given to students whose names and numbers are not currently on file with CIC or whose access has expired. To obtain a key for your office space, an authorized member of your organization must provide CIC with their MCard and a driver’s license or other valid picture identification. The driver’s license will be held by CIC until the key is returned. Students should be aware that, as mandated by the Provost’s Office, an MCard cannot be held by CIC.

Each individual is allowed one grace access to his/her office. If for any reason, you cannot access the office key at CIC you may request that the Building Manager key you in. Subsequent requests will incur a $5 charge, which must be paid before access is granted. Each person has ONE grace key in, regardless of how many office key lists they are listed on. It is VERY important that office keys do not leave the building. Repercussions for keeping a key overnight are as follows: For a first offense, you will be sent an e-mail requesting return of the key and a warning of further actions. ●● For a second offense, key privileges will be suspended for the entire organization until a $5 fine has been paid to CIC and the key is returned. In all instances, if the key is not returned within one week, it will be assumed lost. Replacement key/core charges will be charged to the student organization. ●●

Required Office Hours It is expected that every student organization granted an office space will maintain a minimum of FIVE office hours per week, beginning the first full week of fall and winter semesters. Groups are encouraged, but not required, to hold office hours during the spring/summer terms.Office Space is accessible during the normal operating hours of the Michigan Union: ●●

Fall/Winter: (7am - 2am) Monday-Saturday, (9am - 2am) Sunday


Spring/Summer: (7am - 12am) Monday-Thursday

(7am - 2am) Friday-Saturday

(9am - 12am) Sunday

Remember: Student Organization Offices may be occupied ONLY during the normal operating hours of the Union .

Office Furniture Office Furniture is provided by the Michigan Union. Your student organization will receive one desk, one desk chair, and two side chairs. There is a deposit required for this furniture, and your organization will be held responsible for loss of, or damage to this furniture. Replacement and deposit rates are available from the Michigan Union administrative offices (1310 Michigan Union). Michigan Union Board of Representatives (MUBR) and the Michigan Student Assembly (MSA), as delegated by the Michigan Union, allocate the fourth floor office space to student organizations. The original furnishings contained within your allocated office space remain the property of the Michigan Union.






The primary purpose of Student Organization Accounts Service (SOAS) is to serve recognized student organizations by: Assisting and educating officers about their financial responsibilities. ●● Insuring the accuracy of comprehensive financial records. ●● Aiding organizations in keeping their activities in sound financial condition. ●● Facilitating continuity between financial officers and their successors. ●● Providing the means for recognized organizations to use University facilities and services. ●● Maintaining and upholding fiduciary guidelines as custodians of student organization funds. ●●

Other SOAS Services ●● ●● ●● ●●

Free Classroom scheduling (LSA Facilities) Renting rooms in LSA Facilities Chartering University Buses Free usage of coin counting machines

NOTE: SOAS has the right to interpret any policy pertaining to SOAS written in this Guidebook. The rights of SOAS, through its management staff, shall include, but are not limited to, the following: 1. Determine

what constitutes adequate supporting documentation. 2. Audit the financial records of any student organization that has an account in the SOAS office.

SOAS WORKSHOPS! SOAS offers personal workshops for treasurers and other leaders of student organizations to answer any questions you may have! Thirty minute to hour sessions are available at any time by student request. Workshops will cover disbursements, fund transfers, deposits, acceptable University guidelines and more. If you or your student organization is interested in learning more, please contact SOAS@umich.



WHERE TO GET A STUDENT ORGANIZATION ACCOUNT After registration has been completed and a constitution is on file, a student organization account can be opened or reactivated in the Student Organization Accounts Service office (2400 Michigan Union). The student organization recognition process for an academic year begins May 1 and the recognition status expires September 30 of the following year (total of up to seventeen months). The organization is required to register annually for the account to remain open. All accounts not renewed by September 30 will become inactive until the registration process has been completed. NOTE: Student organizations that have not registered their account with SOAS by the end of fall semester will have all ITCS related services and charges terminated.

What is a Project/Grant? In short, a project/grant is a reference number regarding your SOAS account. The project/grant is one piece of a set of chartfields that allows the University to identify your account.

What is a set of chartfields? M-pathways, the accounting system that the University of Michigan uses, denotes an account by a string of eight codes called chartfields, and will resemble the following format: Most SOAS chartfield combinations will be the same except for the project/grant. The project/grant will be the field which refers to your organizations specific SOAS account. You will need to know your shortcode/ project/grant especially when working with units inside the University. Bus. Unit UMICH Bud Yr Varies by Year Fund 90000 Dept. 600290

Class N/A Account Varies (6 digits) Program 10000 Proj/Grant Cxxxxxx or Uxxxxxx

What is a shortcode? A shortcode is a single number that summarizes the chartfield information for your account. Some University units will require your shortcode instead of your project/grant number. An authorized signer can get account information including balances and chartfield information from SOAS over the phone at (734) 763-5767 or email

Account Usage A project/grant number is assigned to all student organizations when an account is opened through SOAS. This number is used for all financial transactions. Organizations that wish to use University facilities or who expect to receive funds from MSA, college student governments/councils, or University departments, MUST maintain these funds in a SOAS account. Expenditures from your account require adequate supporting documentation (original receipts, no copies) to ensure that funds derived from University sources are properly accounted for and that SOAS accounts are not used for personal gain.


What is a DF account? If an organization wishes to make a donation to charity, a Designated Funds (DF) account must be set up through SOAS. A DF account is used for the purpose of donating non-university funds from a student organization. Due to University policy, University funds cannot be donated to charity on behalf of a student organization; therefore groups are not permitted to use funds in their general SOAS account for donation purposes or place any University funds in the group’s DF account. Consequently, student organizations are not authorized to transfer money from their regular SOAS account or have University departments credit money to the DF account. Funds that go into a DF account should come from cash or check deposits and consist only of personal donations, money received through fundraising events or bucket drives, and member dues.

How to Open a DF Account A student organization that is registered and has active Volunteer Student Organization (VSO) or Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) status can choose to set up a DF account. The request can be made in person at the SOAS office. Authorized signers on the original University funded account will be transferred over as authorized signers on the DF account.

How to Donate Funds from the DF Account A student organization will fill out a Disbursement Authorization form using the same procedure used for reimbursement. In addition to the form, a group is required

to attach a brief memo including the date, purpose of the donation, donation amount, where the donation is going and how the money was raised, signed by 3 authorized signers. Finally, the documents should be given to an SOAS Representative for verification.

SSO DF Accounts SSOs may have a DF account. This is a privilege granted in support of the philanthropic efforts of SSOs. However, no University funds may be deposited or transferred into a DF Account. University funds include all funds generated through use of the University’s status as a charitable organization and state governmental entity. If the University issues a gift receipt, those funds become University funds and consequently, can only be held in the SSO’s regular SOAS account. When the University’s status has not been used, a SSO can raise funds and deposit those into their DF account. For example, the proceeds from a bucket drive on the Diag can be directly deposited into the SSO’s DF account.

CLOSING AN ACCOUNT An account must have a zero balance in order to close. If there are funds remaining in the account and all outstanding debts have been cleared, your organization may choose to donate/transfer the funds to another recognized student organization or other University account. The closing account will not be able to disburse the funds without proper documentation (e.g. receipts, invoices, or other evidence of outstanding debt). To close an account, a letter of explanation detailing the reason for closing the account and specifying the destination account, signed by at least two authorized signers, must be submitted to the SOAS office. SOAS suspends all inactive accounts yearly. An organization that is not currently registered with SOAS is considered to be inactive. SOAS will close any accounts that have been inactive for 3 years. Any funds remaining in the account that is closed due to inactivity will be transferred to a designated account.


Although some student organizations view bank accounts in outside financial institutions as beneficial, the use of outside accounts is discouraged. Banks require either an individual’s Social Security Number or a federal tax identification number for a company. No student organization (VSO or SSO) is authorized to use the University’s tax identification number to open an outside bank account. Doing so will result in de-recognition and the funds in that account must be surrendered to the University. If you see a benefit with opening an outside account, please speak to SOAS first. SOAS works to make the procedures and processes as streamlined and efficient as possible. IV. SOAS



Completing the Deposit

Any and all money received by an organization or raised on University property must be deposited into your SOAS account. Deposits must be made in person at the SOAS office and can be made by any person affiliated with your group. All funds deposited are subject to University and SOAS rules and regulations.

The depositor must fill out a deposit ticket and give it to an SOAS representative who will verify the cash, checks and coin, then prepare a receipt of your deposit. Your organization should retain this receipt for its records for subsequent verification against your account statements.

Note: Do not send deposits through Campus or U.S. mail. Take all deposits to the SOAS office. You should have a total count of the money to be deposited, and a subtotal of each category (currency, coin and checks). The depositor should take the following steps to expedite the depositing process: Make sure bills are organized facing the same direction. ●● Exchange large amounts of coins for bills when possible (this can be done in our office at no charge). ●● Remove all foreign currency /objects before depositing. ●● Make sure checks are made payable to the name of your group and endorsed on the back right end with your groups name and project/grant number. Note: Two-party checks will not be accepted. ●●

Upon receiving deposits, SOAS credits your account immediately including any checks. Consequently, checks that are returned for any reason from the bank (i.e. insufficient funds) will be taken back out of the SOAS account along with a $5 processing fee. Sorry, no Canadian Currency or Checks accepted.

Assigning Revenue Account Codes You must assign a revenue code to each deposit. Revenue Account Codes identify funds deposited into your organization’s account. They are used extensively on the University’s monthly Financial statements, which are available for every account. These reports reflect your group’s revenue as well as expenses on a monthly basis.

Print Form

University of Michigan Student Organization Accounts Services 763-5767 DEPOSIT TICKET ORGANIZATION NAME









*Please make sure all checks are endorsed with the organization's name and project-grant

(See list below)

number on the back.

amounts with the same revenue account code and description may be grouped together on one line





DESCRIPTIONS: Donations Initiation Fees

Advertising (list who advertised in what publication) Service Income (list what services were provided)


Allocations (money dedicated to specific purpose, list the specific purpose)

Registration Fees 413420 413990 413900

Commissions (list commission on what) Rentals (list items rented) Sales Income (list items sold)




Deposit Procedures Special Events






All funds generated by student organizations on University Property must be deposited into a SOAS account. Those funds can be used for the following purposes only: To benefit organizations defined in Sections 170(B)(1) (A) and 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. ●● To benefit a substantial segment of the student body, faculty, or staff. ●● To aid in the accomplishment of lawful and legitimate University-related purposes of the sponsoring organization. ●●

NOTE: Revenue from the sale of tangible items (i.e. t-shirts, records, books, etc.) must be deposited under class code 413900 so the proper Michigan Sales Tax can be assessed (Unless taxes have already been paid on the items and sold at the price they were purchased).

Student organizations must provide adequate assurance that the funds generated are used for the purposes, which are described above. The University will refuse to disburse funds for purposes which are against University policy and/ or do not fall within SOAS procedures.



Show M-CARD for all SOAS transactions. The SOAS project/grant number or shortcode for your organization.

The $10 deposit is required at the time your organization receives its chartfield combination. The $10 must be maintained as a minimum balance for an account to remain active.

●● ●●



Change Fund and Cash Box


Some events require door sales, or have other circumstances where your organization may need change for cash transactions. If change is needed for your event, SOAS will supply the necessary coins and/or currency, provided there are sufficient funds in your account to encumber until the change fund is returned. Change Funds cannot exceed $250.00. A Cash Bank Rental Agreement, signed by two authorized signers, is required to request the change fund. Cash in the amount of the change fund must be returned to SOAS by the end of the business day following the date of the event.

The SOAS “banking system” is different from the usual banking system with which you may be familiar. SOAS serves as your financial advisor and will issue checks from the University on behalf of your organization. Checks will be issued based on your request and pending verification of the information provided. SOAS cannot issue checkbooks to student organizations. If any special situations arise, SOAS will work with your organization to find a solution.

SOAS can also provide a secure cash box (a $50.00 security deposit is required) provided that there are sufficient funds in your account to encumber until the box is returned. A Cash Bank Rental Agreement signed by one authorized signer is required to request the cash box. The cash box will be due back to the SOAS office by the end of the business day following the date of your group’s event. SOAS will place a hold on the account until the rented materials are returned.

The project/grant number The authorizing signatures Supporting documentation The account balance NOTE: You cannot sign a disbursement form to yourself. Authorized signatures from 2 other signers must be on the form.

Note: An organization may only have one change fund at a time.

Night Depository and Deposit Bags All money collected at an event held on University property after SOAS business hours, must be dropped into the Night Depository. The money should be secured in a locked deposit bag. Deposit bags can be obtained from the SOAS Cash Office prior to the event or can be acquired from the Michigan Union Scheduling Office during/following the event. If your group obtains a locked deposit bag during SOAS business hours, an amount of $50 will be held in your account until the bag and key are returned. If the bag and key are not returned within one week of the event, transactions will not be permitted on the account until the bag is returned. Following your after-hours event, your organization should contact the Michigan Union Night Manager at the Campus Information Center (CIC) to open the Night Depository drop. The business day following the drop, the cash bag will be picked up and logged by the Michigan Union Cash office. A representative from the group must request the cash bag(s) from the Michigan Union Cash Office to process the deposit during the next business day.

MAY NOT PURCHASE: U-M student organizations may not purchase alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, firearms, ammunition, gasoline/fuel, or pay for traffic/ meter violations.

Before any disbursements are processed, SOAS will verify the following required information: ●● ●● ●● ●●

If any of the required information is invalid or missing, the attempted transaction will not be completed. Any transactions that will place an account under the minimum balance of $10 will be held until sufficient funds are deposited into your account. SOAS has four ways to disburse funds from your account: Purchase Order (payment to vendor) Services Rendered Worksheet packet (individual services) ●● Funds Transfer Form (within University departments) ●● Disbursement Authorization Form (check request) ●● ●●

ADDING/ DELETING AUTHORIZED SIGNERS Any changes to the authorized signers on an SOAS account will require the approval of two current authorized signers. To add or remove a signer to an SOAS account please log-on to the SOAS-Online system and choose the “Add/Remove Signer” option. Input the uniqname of the student you would like to add/delete. Another signer must then login under their name and confirm this nomination. Once the nomination has been confirmed, an email will be sent to the new signer. This email will contain a link that they must follow in order to complete the process. The only exception to this rule is if you, as an authorized signer, want to remove yourself. You can remove yourself at any time by following the same steps as above, please note that this action is effective immediately. For questions you can contact SOAS at




To Open A P.O.

An easy way for organizations to purchase merchandise or services outside the University is by using a SOAS Purchase Order (P.O.). It is a pre-approved payment to a vendor, which allows organizations to buy the goods or services they need without spending money out-of-pocket. It prevents worries about retaining receipts and having to get reimbursements. The procedure is as follows: 1. Contact

the vendor your group would like to buy the goods/services from and confirm that they will accept the P.O. 2. An authorized signer(s) (Note: Signer must be a U of M registered student.) must fill out and sign a Purchase Order Request form (located in the SOAS office, or online under the “ Downloads & Forms” tab) that requires the following information: a. Project/Grant number and name b. Quantity and estimated cost of merchandise (P.O. must be for at least $25). c. Description and Expense Account Code of merchandise d. Vendor name, complete address and telephone number e. Ship to name and address f. Mark if P.O. will be: i. A blanket (used for multiple purchases from the same vendor until the funds or the P.O. expires, whichever comes first) or, ii. A one-time (used one-time and closed) 3. The completed Purchase Order Request form must be submitted to an SOAS representative who will give you an assigned P.O. number, which you are to give to the vendor at the time of placing your order. Funds in the amount of the P.O. will be encumbered in your account (deducted from the balance) at this time. 4. SOAS will send the vendor confirmation of the P.O. that will contain instructions for payment. The vendor must send SOAS an invoice referencing the P.O. number. Invoice payments are processed as they are received. Payments to individuals for services they have rendered to your organization cannot be paid by a Purchase Order, unless that individual has acquired a Federal Tax Identification number (not a Social Security number) from the Internal Revenue Service. If the organization finds that the actual purchase exceeds the amount of the purchase order, an authorized signer must come into SOAS immediately to properly extend the P.O. A P.O. can only be extended once.

To Close a P.O. If an organization decides to cancel a one-time P.O., all original paperwork given to the group must be returned to SOAS and a reason for the cancellation must be stated. If a blanket P.O. is to be closed, the funds encumbered will be



released in 30 days, to ensure all outstanding bills have been paid. If a P.O. is not closed by the request of the group, all Purchase Orders will close when the money expires or at the end of the fiscal year, June 30.

“PEOPLEPAY” PAYMENT PROCESS When a student organization wants to pay an individual for services (i.e. DJ, choreographers, speakers, honorarium) they are asked to fill out the Services Rendered Worksheet available online under the “Downloads & Forms” tab. We will also need the individual receiving payment to fill out a W9, unless they are employed by the University. The way a payment is processed is determined by the individual’s relationship with the University and type of service provided. Please note that the social security number is required by the University to verify that the individual is a US taxpayer. SERVICES RENDERED WORKSHEET  Today's Date  U.S.   Social Security Number or UMID 

Last Name 


Permanent Home Address 

Middle Initial  Date(s) services provided 

(No PO Box or Campus Address) 



Zip Code 

Dollar Amount Requested 

Describe Services Rendered (DJ, Speaker, Honorarium…): 

Total Hours Worked: 

UNIVERSITY EMPLOYMENT STATUS  Is Service Renderer a University Employee?  If yes: 

Full Time 

If Full Time or Part Time: 

Part Time 




CHECK DISTRIBUTION  (If no, please answer  4 questions below) 

Direct Supervisor's Name 

This check should be:  Mailed to home address 

Picked up at SOAS  **Checks will be availble for pickup  anytime after 2:00pm** 

Direct Supervisor's E­Mail 

**An authorized signer or the person  the check is payable to may pick  the check up 

Direct Supervisor's Phone Number 

Never Employed 4 Questions (please check all that apply)  The person is not instucted by your SOAS group on how to perfom the work.  The person is not supervised by your SOAS group while performing the work.  The person provides the same types of services for other companies or institutions.  The person maintains an independent office and furnishes all the equipment and  supplies required to perform services. 

CITIZENSHIP United States Citizen 



If No, Country of Citizenship: 

Visa Type: 

check one of the following 

Non Resident Alien  (Must also complete Form 8233 ­ Exempt. from w/holding)  Resident Alien  (Must complete Form 9835 ­ Alien Certificate) 


Name of Student Organization 

Authorized Student Signer Signature 

SOAS Account Number 

Authorized  Name Printed 

The student organization should bring all completed paperwork to the SOAS office in a timely fashion, and should understand that payments can take anywhere from five business days to two weeks to process. Any omissions or mistakes on paperwork can delay the payment process. The completed forms must be submitted in person to the SOAS office. Payments of this type can be made in advance of the event as long as your account has sufficient funds available. Student Organization Accounts Services:  Room 2400, Michigan Union     763­5767 

Rev 06/11/2009

PLease Note: Unlike regular disbursements, service providers cannot be paid out-of-pocket first. There is no reimbursement system for service providers. If a group member pays the service provider before hand, SOAS will not be able to reimburse them.

Completing the Services Rendered Worksheet Payments to individuals that provided a service require additional information, including: ●● ●● ●● ●●

Is the payee currently or previously employed by UM? SSN or Tax ID number (UMID in place of SSN is OK) Detailed description of service provided Citizenship Information (additional forms needed if non US citizen)

The forms to complete these payments must be submitted in person to the SOAS office.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST VENDORS To help protect the students, all student organizations must follow this policy and should be aware of the vendors they are working with – understand before entering into an agreement if the vendor is affiliated with the University and / or has a conflict of interest. Before completing the transaction, students should seek the SOAS office for guidance in handling transactions with Conflict of Interest vendors. While using a Conflict of Interest vendor is legally permissible, if the proper process is followed, the approval process requires significant documentation with substantial detail. The process of receiving Regental approval is lengthy, generally taking up to two months to complete. Remember: the review process must be completed before the transaction occurs.

TRANSFER OF FUNDS If an organization needs to transfer funds from its SOAS account to another student organization or U-M departmental account, a Funds Transfer Form must be completed. This form is available through the SOAS-Online system. An authorized signer must log in to complete the funds transfer process. You will need the following information in order to complete the transfer: Amount to be transferred Organization name and shortcode or chartfield combination of account being credited (where you are sending the money to) ●● Expense account code ●● Description of the transfer ●● ●●

Further guidance can be found at:

Special Considerations Fill out ALL fields on the Services Rendered Worksheet, including: ○○ The dates the service was provided ○○ Description of services rendered ○○ The dollar amount ●● Use this process to pay the service renderer directly. If you pay the performer first, this process cannot reimburse the expense. ●● SOAS has received permission to access this payment option for student organizations. SOAS is the interface with the University’s financial system. If there is even a small omission or mistake on the paperwork, it can delay payment for up to a week or more. ●●

STOP PAYMENTS Stop payments will only be issued 30 days from the date the check was issued. SOAS will not place stop payments on checks prior to that. SOAS must receive confirmation from the bank that the check has not been cashed. If a stop payment is placed on a check, any fees associated with the stop payment process will be the responsibility of the student organization. SOAS will give notification when the reissued check is available for pick up. This process does not include payroll checks.

Processing SOAS will process the transfers within one to two business days of having received them. If you are transferring funds to a U-M department and would like SOAS to let that department know when the transfer has been completed please include the following: ●● Name of individual to receive the confirmation ●● Department the individual works for ●● Preferred method of confirmation (phone, email, hardcopy, etc) ●● Contact information for the individual

Receiving funds from U-M departments If your organization is expecting funds from a U-M department, you are expected to do the following: Provide the department with your organization’s chartfield information or short code. ●● Request that a signed copy of the completed journal entry is faxed (936-0380) or sent to SOAS (2400 Michigan Union, Zip 1308) in order to credit your account immediately. ●●



SOAS uses a separate software program to conduct daily business. It does not rely solely on the university’s financial software program to operate, and therefore, does not have real-time access to departmental transactions.

DISBURSEMENT AUTHORIZATION FORM A check request for reimbursement must be submitted online though the SOAS-Online system at: www.studentorgs. To complete the Online Disbursement Authorization Form, the following steps will be required:

Log in ●●

Using your uniqname and Kerberos password to gain access to the SOAS-Online System.

Select “New Disbursement Form”

You can also continue a form that has been previously started by clicking the “Edit” button on a draft. ●● If you are a signer on more than one SOAS account, you will see each group listed.


that the total supported by receipts provided). Choose either “Save” or “Sign and Submit” (“Save” will save a draft of the form, but not send it to the SOAS office for processing; “Sign and Submit” will send the disbursement form electronically to the SOAS office where it will wait for processing. (Once submitted this process can NOT be reversed or edited)

SERVICES RENDERED WORKSHEET A Disbursement Authorization form is not to be used to pay an individual for services or an individual who, in turn, paid someone who provided service to the organization. Student organizations must complete a Services Rendered Worksheet and W-9 to pay individuals for services rendered.


Complete the Form

Remit to – Name of the person/business you would like to reimburse. ●● Valid Address – Street/City/State/Zip code of the payee (even if for pick-up). ●● Mark whether the check should be picked up at the SOAS office or mailed directly to the payee. ●● Choose the account the funds should be disbursed from (You will only see another option if you have a DF account). ●● Choose the appropriate expense account code from the drop down box. ●● Enter a brief description of the disbursement ●● Enter the dollar amount that is to be reimbursed (A group can choose to do a partial reimbursement for a purchase; however, an individual cannot be reimbursed for more ●●

Once the request for reimbursement has been submitted, an email will be sent with the Disbursement Authorization form number to all the authorized signers. The form number and supporting documentation need to be taken to the SOAS office for verification of receipts and funds in order to complete the request. Checks can be picked up with a valid picture ID by the recipient of the disbursement or an authorized signer on the account.

Authorized Signatures An authorized signer cannot independently authorize a check (sign a Disbursement Authorization form) for him/ herself or a relative. In addition, an authorized signer attempting to access funds from the account must be currently enrolled as a student at U-M.

Expense Account Codes and Description

Expense Account Codes help the University’s financial system identify various types of expenditures, which are charged to your account. They are used extensively on the University’s Financial statements which are available to every student organization. These reports reflect your account’s activity on a monthly basis. Common Expense Account Codes are listed on page 27.

Supporting Documentation

All Disbursement Authorization Forms require supporting documentation to ensure that funds derived from University sources are properly accounted for, and that no funds are used for private gain. All supporting documentation is kept on file in SOAS and is available for in-office inspection by authorized signers on the account.



Mileage Reimbursement University of Michigan policy does not allow reimbursement for the purchase of fuel; however the University does permit mileage reimbursement equivalent to the current UM Mileage Rate (UMR). The current mileage rate can be found in the UM Standard Practice Guide at (search: mileage rate). NOTE: SOAS will reimburse for fuel when a university vehicle was used. In this case SOAS will accept the fuel receipts along with an Online Disbursement Authorization Form. Please indicate on the receipt that the fuel was purchased for a University vehicle. Reimbursement will be done through the Online Disbursement Authorization Form and the following must be supplied as the support documentation for disbursement: Mileage Reimbursement Form found under download forms on the website, must be completed for all mileage reimbursements. This form is used to calculate how much an individual will be eligible for based on the current UMR and the total number of miles travelled. ●● A map showing the total travel route (can be Map Quest, Google Maps, etc.) This form must be signed by two authorized signers on the account for authorization. Please remember that if one of the signers is the payee on the disbursement they cannot be one of the two signers on the form. This form can be found under the Download SOAS Form section at: ●●

Gifts and Awards If a student organization wishes to award gifts and/or prizes to an individual, reimbursement can be done through the SOAS account. Awards of $600.00 or less will be processed through a Disbursement Authorization form. Supporting documentation should include the following: ●●

A flyer and/or memo describing the contest and the amount awarded

●● ●● ●●

Brief explanation of the judging criteria Signed by three authorized signers Completed W9 for the person receiving gift card or award for amounts between $50.00 - $600.00

Any gifts and/or prizes of $600.01 or greater should be processed through PeoplePay (Payment for Individual Services). Please contact SOAS to ensure you have the correct information. NOTES: Gifts and awards (including reimbursement for the purchase of gift cards) less than $50.00 will be processed through a Disbursement Authorization form with original receipt, no further documentation is necessary. ●● When requesting reimbursement for gift cards $50.00 or more, a completed W9 is required from the person receiving the gift card. The W9 must be presented at time disbursement is requested. Gift cards from establishments that sell alcohol, tobacco, firearms/ammunition, and/or ●●

fuel are not permitted to be reimbursed. If the individual is a current employee at the University, or has been employed within the previous 12 months, award will be subject to the withholding of taxes. Contact SOAS for questions/concerns pertaining to tax issues. ●● If the individual is a current student at the university, award requests will be applied the recipient’s Financial Services account. ●● To obtain a check or contact Financial Services please visit: ●●

REIMBURSING AN INDIVIDUAL FROM YOUR SOAS ACCOUNT All documents must be originals (no copies or faxes). All other funding sources (schools, student governments and departments should be given copies). A credit card statement is not an acceptable document for proof of purchase and is only to be used as secondary support. Documents labeled as a “Statement” are not acceptable means of proof of payment for reimbursement or to be used as support for payment. RECEIPTS Establishments that serve alcohol must be itemized Must state vendor name (on letterhead or stamp) Must contain an amount and description of transaction Receipts from online purchases must show the complete company address, credit card type, amount paid, and clearly state the items purchased

INVOICES Must be dated

Must contain an amount and description of transaction Must state vendor name

Must clearly indicate “PAID” by the vendor Establishments that serve alcohol must be itemized

Note: SOAS reserves the right to request further support for any transaction. Do not do business with any places that do not give receipts. SOAS will not issue a reimbursement without the required documentation.




Tax Exempt Status Many student organizations believe that because they are essentially non-profit and are comprised primarily of students, they are automatically tax-exempt. Recognition as a VSO does not cover you under the University’s or MSA’s tax-exempt number. Your organization is not “Tax-Exempt” unless you have applied and been granted that status from the Internal Revenue Service or have a Sponsorship Agreement on file at 2205 Michigan Union. SSOs should contact their sponsoring unit with questions about the use of the University’s tax status. If you think your organization may qualify for exemption from income taxes, contact the IRS (1-800-829-3676) and ask for Publication 557, “Tax-Exempt Status For Your Organization.” This manual will tell you how to qualify for an exempt status. If your organization is a chapter of a national organization, contact your national office; you may qualify under their tax identification number.

Sales Tax Exemption Exemption from Sales Tax is a state tax exemption. SSOs are covered under the University’s sales tax exempt status through their sponsoring units and may obtain a letter from their departmental sponsor, their faculty or staff advisor or University Unions. Voluntary and non-affiliated organizations are not covered under the University’s status but may apply to the state for their own sales tax exempt status. To determine if your group qualifies for exemption from Michigan Sales Tax on purchases, contact the State of Michigan Department of Treasury in Lansing (1-517-3733190). You will receive a criteria sheet and a sales tax exemption application. If your organization is not tax-exempt, the University will charge appropriate Sales and Use Tax on purchases and rentals made through the University, which will appear on your Statement of Activity. If your group purchases an item from the University that will be resold, please inform SOAS so they can make the necessary arrangements to ensure that you are not taxed for that item.

Sales Tax Organizations are liable for collection and remittance of taxes on SALES and RENTALS involving non-exempt transactions. Organizations exempt from payment of taxes on purchases are not exempt from payment of taxes on revenue from sales and rentals. Generally, the sales tax applies to sales of personal property to consumers in the State of Michigan (i.e. doughnuts, T-shirts, hats, etc.). It is not your organization, but the consumer who pays the tax on sales, and your organization should only be collecting the 6% sales tax on each item sold. At the time the sales tax



is filed your group is merely passing on the tax collected from the consumer to the State of Michigan. If your group paid Michigan Sales Tax on the items you purchased for resale, then your tax liability is the difference between the purchase price and the sales price. In other words, you are taxed on the profit of items purchased and/or sold in Michigan. When depositing revenue, you must inform SOAS if sales tax was paid at the time of purchase, or you may be double taxed. SOAS submits a monthly report for Sales, Use, and Withholding tax to the Michigan Department of Treasury for all organizations that are subject to such taxes. When depositing revenue derived from the sale of tangible personal property, you must record this transaction under the revenue code 413900. At the end of each month, all sales for this revenue code are totaled and the organizations are charged for the portion of this revenue that represents collected sales tax.

Tax Advice Any comment on tax matters contained in this Guidebook are provided merely as a courtesy for the general information purposes of student organizations and are not to be considered tax advice given by the University or its employees. However, we do have helpful information to point you in the right direction and would be glad to share that with you. All student organizations should rely upon tax advice provided by their own independent tax advisors.

Sponsored Student Organizations and Taxes In general, SSOs are covered by the University’s exemptions and tax filings and do not need to file their taxes independently. SSOs should discuss this with their sponsoring unit if there are concerns regarding their tax filings. Voluntary student organizations are expected to operate on a non-profit basis and may qualify for federal tax exemption. Depending on a VSO’s annual income, the organization may need to request formal recognition of its tax-exempt status and may be required to file federal (or state) tax returns. For more information regarding the filing requirements for your organization, please visit:

MAINTAINING BALANCES The financial officers of your organization have been entrusted with the great responsibility of financial management and record keeping for your group. In performing the duties of financial officer, it is important to have a clear and accurate picture of the organization’s monetary status at all times. Student organizations are advised to keep independent financial records and use the SOAS reports and audits as checks on their internal records. Please consult with an SOAS representative with any questions you may have regarding your financial activity.

Financial Statement of Activity

University Investment Pool (Interest Earned)

A computerized Statement of Activity from University Financial Operations is generated for every account each month. Statements of activity, along with the organization’s financial records, should be accurately maintained from year to year and passed along to the new officers. This will help assist the new officers in preparing budgets, financial reports, and in planning activities for the upcoming year. Financial officers should check the statements against their records to verify all transactions that have occurred. If there are any differences in statement balances and your organization’s records, the discrepancy should be investigated immediately. The SOAS staff is always available to answer any questions and resolve problems regarding your statements.

Organizations that maintain a positive balance in their SOAS Account may be eligible to earn interest through the University Investment Pool (UIP). The “I-Pool” is a reserve fund that draws interest generally above the bank rates. Interest is distributed annually (between July and September). No action is required by your organization to receive this allocation. If an organization closes its account with SOAS, all interest will be forfeited and will remain the property of the University.

Account Information Requests Authorized signers for groups may contact the SOAS office anytime by phone or email to request account information such as account numbers, balances or to request a PDF statement to be emailed to them. We can be reached by phone at 734-763-5767 or email at (make sure to send the request from your email). Be sure to provide your name, group name and account number in your request.

Audits Financial records of student organizations are subject to audit by the University of Michigan and Freedom of Information Act at any time. It is therefore important that your organization maintain orderly and detailed records of all transactions and events.

Deficit Balances Organizations are not permitted to run deficit balances. If an account does run a deficit, SOAS will place a freeze on the organization’s account(s), and no further transactions will be permitted until the account balance is increased to the required $10 minimum. SOAS will notify the organization if their account balance is in deficit. To stay up to date on the financial status of your account and to help prevent an account from running a deficit balance, you are highly encouraged to keep independent records and to review your account activity no less than monthly. The organization must make a deposit into their account to remove the deficit. In cases where organizations have more than one account, a funds transfer can be processed to cover the deficit. University departments will receive monthly listings of any SOAS deficit accounts. They are instructed not to accept requests or charges initiated by those organizations that appear on the listing. It is the responsibility of the authorized signers to secure funds in the account before seeking any University services.


Advertising & Publicity






Printing, Copying


Athletic (equipment, IM fees)




Auditorium Rentals




Banquets, Dinners, Luncheons




Conferences & Conventions






Rentals (equip., etc.)




Salaries and Wages




Sales Tax


Entertainers & Bands






Special Event


Gifts & Awards




Initiation & Rush




















Purchase for Resale





For use on all forms.





PLANNING FOR A SUCCESSFUL EVENT So you are going to plan a big event, but you don’t know where to start? This section is designed to take you through the basics of planning and preparing for a successful event.

Identify Needs Who is your audience? What does the audience want to see or experience with this kind of program? ●● What are the audience needs or interests? ●● How big do you want this program to be? ●● Does the type of event you’re planning limit the audience size? If so, how will you determine who can attend? Once your group has discussed these questions, you are ready to develop the program’s goals and objectives. ●●

Develop Program Goals and Objectives

What are your program goals? What do you need to do to accomplish those outcomes? What’s the purpose of your event/program/project? How does the answer to that question impact when, where, and how you would like it to take place? ●● Define specifically what you want the participants to learn or experience from your event/program/project. ●● ●● ●● ●●

Organize Your Plans

What are some needs to accomplish your objectives? When do you want to hold the event? Consider whether or not you have enough time to make all the necessary arrangements and whether your members can complete all of the tasks. Determine a timeline working in reverse: start at the day of the event and fill in publicity deadlines, facility agreements, etc. This can help you see if you are being realistic in your objectives. The following are areas you will want to focus on while organizing plans: ●● ●●

Scheduling Facilities

Scheduling facilities is vital to the success of your program. Facilities can determine audience size, date, and time. Facilities can also set the mood for formal, informal, or auditorium style programs. See Facility Usage and Scheduling (on page 30) for additional information.

Establishing Budgets

Establishing a budget is necessary because it helps shape your program. Budgets help to establish guidelines for spending, admission fees, and the amount of fundraising/ resource finding you will need. As a guideline for travel expenditures, student organizations should reimburse for expenses incurred in connection with approved travel on behalf of the student organization. Personal expenses incurred during travel should not be reimbursed.


Contracts are often required for facilities, catering, or entertainers. Read them carefully and have a staff member review the contract. If you have questions, do not be afraid to ask. Entertainment contracts should be reviewed and signed by University Unions.


Publicity is vital to the success of your program. If you plan a good program but nobody knows about it, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Publicity can include posters, flyers, banners, Diag boards, bus signs, emails, public service announcements, etc. See Section VI for additional information.

Determine Goals

Determine the program’s details. Make a list of what needs to be done before, during, and after the event. These might include equipment needs, registration tables, special power hookups, etc. Even the smallest details should be written down on a checklist.

EVENTS ACCESSIBILITY Contact Services for Students with Disabilities to help create barrier-free events, programs, activities, and facilities for students with


disabilities:, 763-3000 V. EVENTS & ACTIVITIES


One of the tasks you face as a financial officer, especially if your organization makes frequent business transactions, is that of preparing a budget. A budget is a tool used for planning and controlling your financial resources. It is a guideline for your future plan of action, expressed in financial terms within a set period of time. A budget does not have to be complex as the information below will explain.

What a budget accomplishes It helps refine goals. It compels members of the organization to use funds efficiently. ●● It provides accurate information to analyze, adjust and evaluate programs and activities. ●● It aides in decision making. ●● It provides a historical reference to be used for future planning. ●● ●●

Pre-budget considerations Knowing your organization’s priorities, objectives, and goals helps as you begin to prepare your budget. As you begin, ask yourself the following questions: ●● What is the time period with which you are working (e.g., one term, entire school year)? ●● What does your group want to accomplish most? ●● How will you accomplish this? ●● How much will it cost? ●● What are your funding sources? Once these questions have been answered, you are ready to begin preparing your budget.

Preparing your budget Prepare an outline of the organization’s planned future activities. ●● Determine and record available funds (e.g., carryover balance from previous year). ●● Estimate and record expected income and when it will be available (dues, t-shirt sales, video games, etc.). ●● Define and record needed expenses (advertising, rentals, printing, supplies, etc.). ●● Review, revise, and then assemble into a final budget. ●● Have members vote for budget approval. The budget must be flexible to anticipate conditions which might have been overlooked during the planning process. ●●

Managing the Budget Once prepared and approved, the budget should be closely managed. ●● Set and maintain a minimum balance. ●● Formulate general policies and procedures needed to achieve objectives while providing internal control (e.g., allow only approved expenditures). ●● Keep an accurate written log of financial transactions (income and expenses). ●● Periodically and regularly compare the budget to your actual SOAS account statement of activity. ●●

As the budget period is ending, compare your budgeted amounts to the actual expenditures and revenues. Review and judge the data in order to establish priorities for the next period. Begin preparing for the next budget a month or more prior to the conclusion of the current period and then begin the process anew.

Budget Example The following budget is an example of an organization who is bringing a guest speaker to campus. The expenses/ and revenues reflected on this budget are not actual figures.


EXPENSES Marketing Postcard Flyers


Diag Board Ads


Event Banners




Guest Speaker Honorarium


Lodging and Meal (per diem= $125)






Union Catering Fajita Bar ($6.25/ person)


Linens ($3.50/ table)


Sound System






REVENUE Dues ($50/ member)


Student Government Support




Programing Committee







FACILITY USAGE AND SCHEDULING To be eligible to use any University facilities, registered organizations must have sufficient funds in their SOAS account to cover the fees accociated with each space usage. Only after verification by SOAS that the organization has sufficient funds in that account will they be allowed to use any facilities. There are two ways to go about scheduling academic rooms and auditoriums on campus. The first is through SOAS, and the second is to go directly to the facility with which you would like to schedule. To get an idea of rooms that are/may be available check out URooms, an online database of available space. It was created and is maintained for the University by the Division of Student Affairs (DSA) Technological Services.

CHECK OUT UROOMS! URooms is your home for finding a room on campus. Whether you need to host a large endof-the-year gala or a small two-person interview, URooms can help you find the perfect place to suit your needs.

Room Rentals through SOAS As an additional service to student organizations, SOAS, in cooperation with LSA Scheduling Office, schedules rooms of various sizes and locations (some free of charge) for organizations to use for events and meetings. Contact SOAS (734) 763-5767 for pricing and availability.

Auditoriums Your organization can place a request at SOAS for an auditorium or lecture room reservation. There is a room rental charge which is based on seating capacities. Please see SOAS for specific costs. An authorized signer must be present at SOAS to fill out a request form. The account must also have sufficient funds at the time of submitting the request to cover the cost of the rental. The request form will be sent to the LS&A Scheduling Office to be processed. Unless the space being requested is a free classroom, LSA room request forms are now under the “Downloads & Forms” tab on our website. An authorized signer should fill this form out and email it to For free classroom space, applicants must visit the SOAS office. You will receive an e-mail with your assigned room(s) once the request has been processed. You may call SOAS for inquires no sooner than 3 business days after the request has been submitted. Funds will not be encumbered from your account until a facility has been assigned. Most auditoria in LSA’s central campus buildings require professional staffing to use the auditorium projection, data



projection, or sound system. If you plan on using AV equipment of any type in an auditorium, you will need to make advance arrangements with LSA Instructional Support Services (734) 615-0100. LSA ISS will charge you for staff time and equipment use. Request for auditorium AV equipment and technical support must be made at least 2 weeks in advance.

Classrooms Free classroom spaces located in Mason Hall, are available through SOAS for all student organizations on a first-come, first-served basis. The classrooms most commonly offered seat 30 people and can only be reserved one term at a time. Get your request in at the beginning of the term - the rooms go fast! If the LS&A Scheduling office finds a room available for your use, the authorized signer will be instructed, normally via email, to go to SOAS to sign an agreement. LS&A Scheduling will bill your student organization after the event.

Audio/ Video Equipment Rental

AV equipment rental and access is available through LSA Instructional Support Services. Students may check out equipment from G340 Mason Hall for free if they pick it up and bring it back themselves. Groups requiring staff assistance or delivery and set up will be charged an additional fee. Call (734) 615-0100 for more information.

LSA FACILITIES Contact LSA Facilities for reserving space inside the Chemistry Building and East Hall Atriums and Haven Hall/ Mason Fishbowl: 2215 LSA Building (734) 764-0323 Reservation forms can be printed from the LSA Web site and are also available in the SOAS office. The necessary information should be completed on the form and turned in to an SOAS Representative. SOAS will verify and hold the required funds in the account (fees are listed on the form) and approve the reservation. The form should then be taken to LSA Facilities to complete the reservation process.

NON-ACADEMIC FACILITIES All non-academic facilities reserve and schedule their rooms individually. Organizations should make those reservations with the facilities directly (see next page). The facilities will confirm scheduling details and hold funds necessary for the rental of the room(s).

The Unions The University Unions consist of the Michigan Union, the Michigan League and Pierpont Commons. All three facilities are committed to providing student services, specifically rooms of various sizes to accommodate meetings, banquets, parties or conferences. All University Unions require student organizations to be registered and have an active SOAS account to reserve facilities. Each building’s scheduling staff will assist you in choosing the most appropriate facility for your event and can also make arrangements for most of your catering needs. The Unions are smoke-free buildings and are also barrier-free. For social events there exists a Dance/Party Policy, which describes how events are scheduled, planned, and implemented. Copies of the policy may be obtained from the scheduling of administrative offices of the Unions. Michigan Union, 763-5911, Pierpont Commons, 647-6838, Michigan League, 764-0446,

Palmer Commons Palmer Commons is a multifunctional facility located on central campus in the Palmer Drive Development. Surrounded by the Hill Area residence halls, Life Sciences Institute, and the Medical Complex, Palmer Commons brings various university groups together in an open, enriching environment. Palmer Commons is committed to providing a convenient, professional facility for all student organizations to meet. Students can hold various types of events, which can range from small meetings to large receptions. To learn more about Palmer Commons, you can call 734-615-4444, or visit the website above.

Trotter Multicultural Center The William Monroe Trotter Multicultural Center provides services for African American, Asian American, Hispanic Latino(a), and Native American students and staff by: Providing space and coordination for cultural, educational, and social events sponsoring cultural, educational and social programs to stimulate interest in the ethnic and cultural tradition of students of colors at the University. ●● Assisting other organizations in providing multi-cultural programs and events. All student groups intending to use Trotter must be recognized by the University and maintain an active account with SOAS. Requests for usage may be made by telephone: (734) 763-3670. In order to confirm reservations, the User Rental Contract must be completed in person by an authorized representative within 48 hours of the phone call. No requests will be accepted which are not made at least 10 business days before the proposed date of the group’s event (parties require at least 28 days prior to the date requested). ●●

Groups without SOAS accounts will be required to pay a usage fee. Groups without SOAS accounts are also required to make a refundable $50.00 damage deposit when completing the User Rental Contract (in the form of a certified check, or money order. NO personal checks accepted).

Rackham Auditorium, Mendelssohn Theatre, Power Center, Hill Auditorium The Major Events coordinator in University Unions can help your organization plan and execute events in these venues. There are specific requirements, procedures, uses, and fees associated with each facility; UU will assist you in selecting an appropriate facility and planning an event in these facilities. Call (734) 763-3202 for more information. Audience capacities for each are: ●● ●● ●● ●●

Rackham Auditorium Mendelssohn Theater Hill Auditorium Power Center

East Quad Auditorium

1125 642 3530 1368

East Quad Auditorium can be rented for small-scale theatrical productions and similar productions, such as fashion shows or speakers. Call 763-0176 for more information.

Stephen M. Ross Academic Center The Stephen M. Ross Academic Center’s primary focus is supporting the academic excellence of student athletes on campus. Student organizations can use this facility by appointment during non-peak hours.

Palmer Field and Elbel Field Palmer and Elbel Field are scheduled by the Recreational Sports Department (Rec Sports), who can assist you with planning your outdoor event and coordinating electrical service, waste collection, and staff support. Please call (734) 963-0616 for more information.

Ingall’s Mall/ All Other Outdoor Areas These areas of the University of Michigan are available for use by recognized student organizations with an active SOAS account. Appropriate usage of these areas is described in the Common Areas Policy of the University of Michigan. To schedule any of these outdoor areas please refer to page 32.

North Campus Diag, The North Campus Diag may be scheduled through the Pierpont Commons administrative offices or by contacting (734) 764-7544.





The Diag is available on a first-come, first-served basis up to 6 months in advance. Individuals may distribute pamphlets, flyers, etc., without obtaining a permit, as long as no equipment (i.e., tables, chairs or other objects) are placed on the property, and they do not interfere with other scheduled activity on the Diag. Unauthorized or disruptive parties may result in interference from the Department of Public Safety (DPS). A printed copy of a Diag permit must be carried at all times during the event. Diag permit holders are only authorized to host an approved event on the brick area for the Diag, NOT the lawn or surrounding sidewalks.

Rules for All Outdoor Events *The Diag is governed by the Policy for Scheduled Use of the University of Michigan Outdoor Common Areas. It is your responsibility to understand the policy and follow all the guidelines. For all other outdoor events not on the Diag, complete an Outdoor Event Request Form available from the Office of the Associate Vice President for Facilities & Operations:

Before Completing the Application Applicants must be Authorized Signers of a registered student organization and/or be affiliated with a University department. ●● Ensure that your requested date is available with a staff member at 2205 Michigan Union. ●● Idle applications/ requests will be discarted after 5 business days if there is no follow-up or there is failure to provide additional paperwork or information about the event. ●● DO NOT assume your event has been approved until you receive a confirmation in writing. ●● If you are requesting Electricity, Amplification or any other Diag Services, the estimated fees will be applied to your student account in the form of a “Hold.” These requests must be made at least 8 business days in advance and the funds to cover them must be available in your SOAS account. ●●

Diag Usage Restrictions

You may not use stakes of any kind on the Diag or grassy areas (For acceptable structure and equipment dimensions see the Outdoor Common Areas policy). ●● NO motorized vehicles may be driven on the Diag or sidewalks. ●● Time limits – 8:00am to 7:00pm or dusk, which ever comes first. ●● University Days are dates on which the Diag cannot be reserved (no exceptions). ●● Sales or solicitations of sales of any kind are strictly prohibited on the Diag. ●●



Rules for Amplified Sound/ Music Amplified sound on the Diag is great way to call attention to an event or simply provide an added feel through music, rallies and performances. While we understand the positives of amplified sound, we are strongly committed to the academic needs of campus and consider the potential disturbances resulting from amplification. The allotted 12:00PM-1:00PM time has been reserved for events that require amplification.

Noise Exemption Requests Events that require an exemption to this rule have the option to apply for permisson to have amplified sound outisde the allowed time. Noise exemptions are requested by our office and reviewed by members of the neighboring libraries and academic building communities. Event details and the names of those requesting a noise exemption are not disclosed to the reviewing committee. If approved for a Noise Exemption, you may have amplified sound for up to an additional 4 hours. Times when noise exemptions are likely to be approved are outlined below. Unless the event is part of a campus-wide initiative or university sponsored event, requests that fall outside the times below will not be considered for a Noise Exemption. Monday to Friday: (12PM - 1PM) and (between 5PM and 10PM) up to 4 additional hours with an approved Noise Exemption Request. ●● Saturday & Sunday: (between sunrise and 10PM); up to 4 hours with an approved Noise Exemption Request. ●●

What is Amplified Sound?

Amplified sound is considered any source of amplification from an electrical source such as laptops, megaphones, large speakers, etc. (Acoustic instruments are not considered amplified sound).

The “Moon Bounce” (Inflatables) If your organization is interested in deploying a “moon bounce”, “bounce castle” or any other form of inflatable structure, these must be under 8-feet in height and must be keep clear from any trees, benches or other stationary objects on Diag property. In addition, a Certificate of Insurance from the rental company MUST be submitted to 2205 Michigan Union for approval. Do not assume your inflatable has been approved to be deployed on the Diag without submitting a certificate of insurance first. The insurance document must state that:”the regents of the University are additionally insured with a minimum liability of $1,000,000 USD.”

Diag Services


The following are a list of services available (for a fee) on the central campus Diag. For current price estimates, please contact, visit 2205 Michigan Union or call 734-763-5900.

The only form of fundraising on the Diag is by Bucketing. You must sign a Fundraising Letter of Intent on the Diag application providing the name of organization, date(s), time(s), organization for which funds are being collected, and a signed statement agreeing to deposit the funds collected on the Diag to your SOAS account. Other requirements include:

●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Electricity Amplification (speaker system), see “Noise Exemption” Podium Trash/ Recycle Bins Water

Information Tables

Space for information tables requires a Diag Application form with a placement map for up to 3 tables. Information tables may be scheduled for no more than 3 consecutive dates. If you require the use of the whole Diag, you must provide a letter, stating what the event is as well as the map showing where items (tables, equipment, etc.) will be placed on the Diag. Exclusive use of the whole Diag is not guaranteed so please plan accordingly and be prepared to share the space with other groups.

Events/ Rallies This includes music, speeches and other types of performances. You are required to fill out a Diag Application with an event description including an estimate of the number of attendees/ participants. If you are requesting Diag services (above), you must also specify times (or quantity) and have the necessary funds in your organization’s SOAS account to cover these charges. Only one amplified sound event will be approved per day. Signed artists or non-local performers are not authorized to perform on the Diag without proper consent from the University of Michigan. NOTE: for three-dimensional structures, canopies and shared responsibilities and others see the policy for: Scheduled Use of the University of Michigan Outdoor Common Areas.

Food on the Diag Food on the Diag is permitted as long as it has been pre-packaged for distribution by the manufacturer. If your oranization is interested in having food to distribute on the Diag, it must meet Office of Safety and Environmental Health (OSEH) safety standards for approval. Consult with OSEH at 734-647-1142 prior to planning to bring food. Food sales on the Diag are NOT permitted.

Trash Approved events are required to keep the Diag free of litter and remove all materials used before evacuating the space. Trees, grass, and shrubs shall not be altered, damaged, or destroyed. To reserve trash or recycling receptacles for your event on the Diag or if you have questions about the Diag Policy, please contact

Scheduled at least three business days prior to activity. Permits are issued for no more than two consecutive days and no more than six days per month. Only one bucketing event will be approved per day. ●● ●●

Bucket Drive Guidelines 1. Authorization for all donations are required by University


2. Donations/Bucket

Drives must be scheduled at 2205 Michigan Union at least three working days prior to the activity to allow for proper scheduling. 3. Permits are issued for no more than two consecutive days. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, a day shall be from 8:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. or dusk, whichever is earlier. 4. Groups sponsoring donations must provide donors and potential donors with written information about the beneficiaries (through pamphlets, leaflets, signs, etc.). 5. Only one donation per common area may occur at a time, and may not occur in the same areas and on the same day as a major program sponsored by another user. 6. Only one donation per eligible user may be scheduled per day, per designated outdoor common area. Eligible users may schedule up to two days per month, per common area (for up to six total days per month). 7. Donations must not interfere with normal University operations and may only occur in the public passageways. 8. All money collected by registered student organizations from donations must be handled in compliance with the requirements of the SOAS Office, via a University Fund Account. See the “Policy for Scheduled Use of the University of Michigan Outdoor Common Areas;” section B., for the complete policy on donations.

Diag Application In order to use the central campus Diag, you must complete an Application for Space on the Central Campus Diag found here: For questions contact





University Unions (UU) actively seeks to build strong relationships and partnerships with other organizations to provide dynamic programs that build community for University of Michigan students. We are excited to support and provide opportunities for registered student organizations, academic and University departments or private parties to partner with us on programs within University Unions (Michigan Union, Michigan League and Pierpont Commons).

Vehicles are an easy way for student organizations to expand their focus and sphere of influence. The University maintains a fleet of vehicles for University business use. Student organizations are able to reserve vehicles directly or University units can make reservations on their behalf. To help understand the responsibilities that come with reserving a vehicle, the unit and the student organization should review the information on the Vehicle Responsibility Form and the Vehicle Reservation form together. Some of this information is detailed below. For more information, visit:

Guidelines: All partnerships are pending upon completion of a partnership application. Submitting a partnership application to UU does not guarantee that the partnership will occur. ●● Partnership applications need to be received at least two months prior to the event date. ●● Consideration for approval will depend on various circumstances, including, but not limited to, timing of event, staff support, and space and resource availability. ●● Upon approval, a UU Partnership Agreement Form must be completed and signed by both organizations at an initial meeting. Responsibilities and expectations will be reviewed. ●● University of Michigan students must be the primary beneficiaries of all programs. ●● The program must be planned in collaboration with UU staff (student or professional employee) throughout the decision-making process and event implementation. ●● UU will not partner on events merely to waive room rental fees or provide funding for events without participation in the planning process. ●● If applicable, all performance contracts must be reviewed and/or completed by a UU Program Advisor. ●● UU does not typically support any fundraisers. ●● All advertising must be reviewed and approved by a UU staff person before distribution (i.e., Facebook, flyers); UU must be acknowledged as an equal partner on all advertising. ●● If your organization is interested in partnering with us, please complete the following application. You will receive a confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you have read the Partnership Policies and feel your event qualifies please fill out our online Partnership Application ●●

UNIVERSITY UNION’S DANCE PARTY POLICY University Unions (Michigan Union, Michigan League, and Pierpont Commons) have adopted a policy relating to dance parties in the facilities. For questions or help regarding the University Unions’ Dance Party Policy please contact University Unions at (734) 763-3202 or



Student Organization Vehicle Rental Student organizations that reserve University Vehicles are required to complete the Student Organization Vehicle Rental Form found at Sponsored and Voluntary student organizations may reserve University vehicles to support the business of their organization, if the following criteria are met: The vehicle is being used to transport group members on official organization business (as outlined in the group’s mission). ●● There are sufficient funds in the organization’s SOAS account to cover the estimated vehicle rental and fuel charges. ●● The use is in compliance with all University policies and procedures especially those pertaining to renting University vehicles including the prohibition of smoking and alcoholic beverages in the vehicles. ●● All designated drivers must have a valid driver’s license. (Valid operator’s licenses are those issued from any of the United States, Canada, and international licenses with the endorsement for driving in the U.S.). ●● Only the designated/ approved drivers may drive the vehicle. ●●

Required Information

Along with the Vehicle Rental Form, student organization drivers are also required to complete the Transportation Services Requisition form with the following: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Event Name, date and number of people attending Student Organization contact information Driver’s License information for all drivers Description of the Event/ Activity Purpose for attending the Event/ Activity Agree to the Rental Responsibility Acknowledgement Requestors contact information Departure/ Return Information Authorized department head/ director Signature

Vehicle Request Process

Vehicle Pickup

It is highly recommended that you reserve vehicles at least ten days in advance. The shorter the reservation time frame, the more likely it is that larger vehicles (i.e. vans) will not be available.

Reserved vehicles are picked up at Transportation Services, 1213 Kipke Drive, located behind Crisler Arena. Office hours are 6:30 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Vehicles will not be released to a driver without a valid driver’s license. Vehicles should be picked up within 2 hours of the reserved time or the vehicle may be cancelled and reassigned. A cancellation charge may be assessed if less than 24 hours’ notice of cancellation is given.

Student organizations are expected to acquire and fill out all paperwork, obtain all rental estimates, determine availability of vehicles, and arrange for pick-up and drop off vehicles at Transportation services. ●● A separate requisition form must be filled out for each vehicle requested. ●● A departmental shortcode must be used to reserve any University vehicle if a department is sponsoring your rental. This means that a University faculty or staff member must sign the requisition form(s). They must then submit the requisition form by faxing it to Parking & Transportation Services at 763-1470. ●● Regardless if your reservation is sponsored by a University department, a signature from a department head, director or that of a faculty advisor is required to authorize that the vehicle will be rented for the purpose of conducting university business. It is highly encouraged that you find a faculty advisor who is always aware of the trips you are planning so that getting a signature at a last minute’s notice will be an easy process. ●● If you do not have an advisor or university department sponsoring your trip, please visit 2205 Michigan Union to get a signature from a staff member who will help authorize your vehicle reservaton request form. ●●


Iinspection and Authorized Use The assigned rental vehicle should be inspected prior to use and any damage or malfunctions noted on the face of this form. All University vehicles are restricted to University business purposes only. Drivers of University vehicles must be University faculty, staff or students, at least 18 years of age, and properly licensed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. Drivers with seven or more points appearing on their driver’s license are not permitted to drive University vehicles. When the vehicle is not in use, it must be locked and parked on University property and may not be taken home.

Reservations Request for vehicle rentals may be placed by faxing the requisition form to (734) 763-1470 or mailing the requisition form to Transportation Services at 1213 Kipke Drive campus zip 2002. To confirm a reservation, call Fleet Services at (734) 764-2485 and have the departure date and requisition number available.

Weekend Rentals Vehicles reserved for Saturday or Sunday trips must be picked up on Friday afternoons between 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm.

Parking and/or Moving Violations The driver is responsible for all violations issued to the vehicle during the period of the rental. All fines or fees are at the driver’s expense and will not be reimbursed by the University.

Vehicle Return Rental vehicles should be returned to Transportation Services. The vehicle should be parked in the Transportation lot or yellow parking lot adjacent to our building. Keys should be deposited in the key drop box just inside the north door of Transportation.

Late Return Vehicles that are not returned by the return time stated on the requisition form will be subject to late fees. The fee will be equal to one and a half times the daily rate of the vehicle that is rented. If you need to extend the lease, please contact Fleet Services at (734) 764-2485 during office hours to avoid late fees.

In case of accident In the case of an accident or alleged accident, completion of a Driver’s Report of Vehicle Damage or Public Incident (Accident Report) is required. This is in addition to any reports filed by the Department of Public Safety or any police department. Completed forms should be returned to Fleet Services. In the absence of an Accident Report, the full cost of the vehicle damage will be charged to the leasing department. Blank forms are in the glove compartment of the vehicle.

Service or malfunctions In the event of a breakdown or malfunction in the University vehicle, please contact Garage Services at (734) 764-2490.



CHARTERING U-M BUSES Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) offers charters through its Transit Services unit. University departments and authorized student organizations may charter University buses with drivers. Please note the following: Transit Services grants charter requests on a first-come, first-served basis as the availability of University buses allows. ●● Wheelchair-accessible buses are available upon request. ●● Charters are limited to a 100-mile radius of Ann Arbor. ●● University buses and drivers are not available to remain with charter groups for overnight trips. ●● Charters may be arranged up to one year in advance. ●● Chartering groups are required to have at least one contact person who either will be present or will be contactable by telephone during the operation of the charter. ●●

Requesting a Charter

Student organizations that would like to request a charter with Transit services must come to Student Organization Accounts Service (SOAS). SOAS will contact Transit services to determine bus availability. A Charter Requisition form available online in the “Downloads and Forms” tab will need to be completed, signed by an authorized signer and returned to SOAS. The following information should be brought to SOAS when requesting a charter: Organization name, shortcode, and authorized signer contact information ●● Name and information for contact person during charter ●● Number of buses needed and estimated number of passengers ●● Day/date of charter, pick up and drop off times and locations. ●●

Charter Rates

Service charges for charters are calculated at flat hourly rate that includes the cost of the driver, vehicle, and fuel. Charters cancelled with fewer than 72 hours notice will be subjected to the minimum charge per vehicle.

Additional Charges In addition to the hourly rate and minimum charge for chartering a vehicle and driver, the chartering group is responsible for any fees incurred during the charter, including road or bridge tolls, parking or storage fees, and admission fees for the driver (e.g., to facility that charges admission for each occupant of the vehicle, including the driver). Any of these costs must be paid by the chartering group at the point of sale; drivers are not permitted to pay these costs. Typically, vehicles are cleaned at no charge to the chartering group. If, however, the chartering group abuses a vehicle so that it requires repair or extensive cleaning, it will be assessed an additional charge.



Chartering groups must provide Transit Services with all appropriate and necessary directions, maps, and itineraries prior to the day of the charter. The chartering group is responsible for selecting a route that accommodates the size, weight, and limited maneuverability of a bus. Buses are 40 feet long, 11 feet high, and 10 feet wide. Including passengers, buses may weigh as much as 40,000 pounds, or 20 tons. All locations must be accessible without requiring the driver to operate the bus in reverse gear. Drivers are responsible for safe operation of the bus. Chartering groups must comply with the decision of the driver should s/he judge that any area or structure is impassable by the bus. Again, in order to prevent any problems during the charter, chartering groups must provide Transit Services with all appropriate and necessary directions, maps, and itineraries prior to the day of the charter.

Rules and Regulations Neither smoking nor the possession of alcohol and other drugs is permitted on University buses. Violation of this policy may result in instant termination of the charter. Drivers are responsible and accountable for the safe and legal operation and parking of the vehicle during the charter. At no time should the driver be asked, encouraged, or pressured to break a law or to circumvent our policies. Also, drivers must adhere to on-duty limitations in accordance with federal regulations.

Emergencies Drivers are supplied with phone numbers of Transit Supervisors who will assist them as soon as possible in the event of an emergency such as a vehicle malfunction. Chartering groups are required to have at least one contact person who either will be present or who can be contacted by telephone during the operation of the charter.

RENTING UNIVERSITY EQUIPMENT Depending on the venue of your event there may be audio visual equipment that may be rented and use in that facility (e.g. The University Unions have a wide range of A/V equipment available). For other rental information you should contact SORC. Renting from venues (e.g. Union, auditoriums, etc.) usually carries a cost for the equipment itself as well as labor for setup and/or operation. The rental agreement is between your organization and the University department. Your organization is liable if the equipment you have rented is lost, stolen, or damaged. The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) may be able to help as well.


Funding Sources

Funding Sources available to your student organization currently registered at the University of Michigan from several departments and units. Altough we try to maintain current information from these sources, we advise your student organization to inquire about funding in areas outside our list. Please be aware that every funding source has a different funding application process and disbursement method (reimbursement, check, SOAS deposit, etc.).

Funding Your Event Finding the necessary money and resources for holding your event or program can often be as time consuming and difficult as the planning or implementation. Here is an acceptable format for writing a funding proposal, and some fundraising strategies and ideas. Basic funding sources for student organizations include: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

fees and admissions, sales (tangible products, services, advertising, etc.), contributions and solicitations, co-sponsorships, university allocations, exchange of goods/services and University Support

There is a variety of offices and departments on campus which are willing to help fund various student organization events. All student organizations must be recognized by the University to receive funding from most of these sources. Keep in mind that funding requests should be concise, accurate, and easy to understand. Also remember that U of M funding committees look favorably on organizations that use a variety of fundraising ideas and sources. Be sure to be clear if you are asking just for financial support or if you are asking for the University Unit to sponsor your event (see Event Sponsorship on page 13).

FUNDING SOURCES For a list of funding sources, visit:

University Policy on Fundraising Student organization funds fall into two categories: University and non-University funding. University funds come from the University or one of its units, including MSA. Student organizations can raise their own non-University funds through many means. Non-University funds may be given directly to charity. Since many student organizations get funds from both University and non-University sources,

SOAS will set up a Designated Fund (DF) Account to handle charitable donations. Student organizations can use donations/ allocations from the University or one of its units for the development and enrichment of the student organization in accordance with the University mission. University funds may not be used as or for gifts to charitable organizations. Please see the university funding guidelines on section VII.

Funding Activities All proceeds of events held on University grounds or in University facilities must be deposited into the organization’s SOAS account, and can only be used for the following: To benefit organizations defined in Sections 170(B)(1) (A) and 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. ●● To benefit a substantial segment of the student body, faculty, or staff. ●● To aid the accomplishment of lawful and legitimate University-related purposes of the sponsoring organization itself. ●●

Student organizations must provide adequate assurance that the funds generated are used for the purpose described above. The University will refuse to disburse funds for purposes which are against University policy and/or do not fall within the procedures described in this guidebook.

Donations If a donor (i.e. an individual or a corporation) is expecting to make a tax-deductible monetary donation, that is possible only in the following situations: 1. Your organization has 501(c)(3) status. Your organization

will provide the contributor with your tax-exempt information.

2. Your

organization accepts a donation that is given through your national organization, which has 501(c) (3) status. In this case, the national organization will acknowledge the contributor.

3. Your

organization is affiliated with a University department/office and uses a departmental account, where the funds will be deposited. The department will take care of acknowledging the contributor.

If your organization does not fit in any of the above situations, you may accept monetary donations, but you must inform the donor they will not be tax deductible for the donor. Donations that are not monetary, but are goods or services (i.e. t-shirts, printing services) may not fall into this category; please seek advice from a tax professional regarding all tax issues.



Raffles Raffles require a permit from the State Lottery Commission. Your organization must have 501(c)3 status. The sale of raffle tickets is prohibited on University property including the Diag without express written permission. For more information regarding raffles and other gaming, The Office of the General Counsel has created a FAQ that is available at: to assit with understanding the policy relating to raffles, Gaming Lotteries and Poker.

Sales and Solicitation, Regent By-Laws and Standard Practices, and Guidelines There are Regental by-laws and standard practices and guidelines, which regulate sales and solicitations for student organizations on University property. These policies are specific to the nature and location of the activity (for example: the residence halls, indoor and outdoor common areas, University Unions, etc.). Contact the supervisors of the facility where you are interested in selling or soliciting or contact.

Preparing a Written Funding Proposal A well-written proposal will include the following but should be adapted and augmented for the best possible presentation: Description, purpose, and goals of the program, including its potential impact on the campus community. ●● Planning timeline (what will be done and when) ●● Publicity strategy (how will you promote the event, to whom and how) ●● Target audience(s) and anticipated number of participants ●● Proposed budget ●● Proposed evaluation method for the program (how will you know if the program was a success; how will you get this information) The budget proposal is the financial centerpiece of your proposal and represents your knowledge and attention to financial detail in planning your program; it should be clear and detailed. ●●


Msa hsa multiple funding cycles in the Fall and Winter semesters. The application is available at: After a funding application has been approved, student organizations are expected to submit copies of their receipts. Funds will then be transfered into the organization’s SOAS account (may take up to 3 weeks). Contact MSA at: 734-763-3241 for funding deadlines or questions about the funding process. NOTE: MSA funding is only a reinbursement basis.




CONTACT SORC: Location: Phone: Web site: AIM:


PUBLICITY PLANNING Publicity is an essential part of any event or organization. Without the proper publicity, the organization’s goals to raise money, to attract new members, or to provide a program or service will not be met. Therefore, your organization’s planning should be put into your marketing campaign. The most effective publicity allows the reader to grasp all the important facts of the program quickly, while also evoking a response. Consider setting the start of the publicity campaign to be two to three weeks prior to the event depending on its size and scope. This section offers you different types of resources to assist your publicity efforts. Consider using a variety of them depending on your target audience.

Develop Your Publicity Plan Before you begin the campaign you should answer the following questions: ●●

How much money has been budgeted for publicity?


Whom do you want to reach and how?


What is the essential information for the organization/ event that needs to be conveyed?


What location will give your materials the most attention?

STUDENT ORGANIZATION RESOURCE CENTER (SORC) The SORC provides low-cost campus publicity and marketing resources for student organizations and university departments. The SORC strives to provide low-cost alternatives to help student organizations and departments spread the word about their campus events. Visit the SORC to learn more about: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Diag boards Diag banners Bus signs Table tents in University Unions Digital ads Glass showcases

Michigan Union 4thFloor (734) 764-0436


Art supplies for making banners and Diag boards are also available at SORC, as well as a banner-making room, projector for tracing your ad design, and a conference room that seats 20 people comfortably.

Other services offered by SORC include: Access to equipment, including computers, scanners, fax machine, copy machine, light table, etc. ●● Table and chair rental ●● Balloons for events or special occasions ●●

The SORC is designed to complement the services provided by Campus Information Centers (CIC) and University Unions (UU). Here are just a few non-publicity services that SORC can help you with: Finding out what services and resources are available at the university. ●● Connecting with offices for maintenance, custodial, internet, and phone connections. ●● Guiding first-time visitors seeking student organizations on the 4th floor. ●● Building community among 4th floor offices ●●

Diag Boards

Plywood advertisement boards are located at various places around campus, from the Diag and the Arch to the Hill Area and North Campus. Due to high demand for Diag boards, SORC conducts a lottery at the beginning of each semester. Note that SORC drivers place all Diag boards; group members may not place Diag Boards themselves.

Basic Description and Eligibility Diag boards are in over 60 different locations on campus. Scaled maps are available on the SORC Web site. Student organizations and university departments can rent these spaces to advertise for their events; they are not available to unaffiliated businesses or individuals. For a list of available spaces for the rest of the semester, please visit the SORC Web site. Advertisers must complete a contract with SORC for weekly reservation of the spaces. They create their designs on canvas and submit them to SORC staff, and SORC drivers place canvases on the plywood boards. VI. PUBLICITY/ SORC


Diag Banner Poles

Rent banner poles on the high-traffic Diag where thousands of people pass by every day. Banner pole rental is limited to 1 per week per organization unless space permits. Visit the SORC Web site for a list of available spaces for the current semester. There are 10 sets of banner poles on the Diag, which are available on a week-to-week basis. Advertisers complete a contract with SORC for up to six weeks per semester. Note that SORC drivers place all banners; group members may not place banners themselves.

Lottery SORC does not assign Diag board or banner locations; rather, each group is assigned a lottery appointment time at random. A representative of your group chooses from the available locations at your appointment time. Earlier appointments have better selection of spaces. Spaces that remain open after appointments are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Appointments are held the week after classes start each semester. Appointments are scheduled in the afternoon and evening, so as to minimize the likelihood of conflicting with students’ classes. Spots that remain open after appointments are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Bus Signs You can also reserve ad space on campus buses for a week or a whole semester. Bus signs must be mounted on poster board of appropriate size and thickness. Signs will be placed on 30 of the buses in the fleet. There is no lottery for bus signs, but they do fill up at peak times. Plan several weeks ahead for best results. All reservations are via online request, but if you need personal assistance, just stop at SORC during regular business hours.

Showcases Organizations may rent glass showcases in multiple Central and North Campus locations for a daily fee. All reservations are via online request. Fall reservations begin early July, Winter reservations begin early December and Spring-Summer reservations begin mid-April.

Table Tents SORC can help you promote your event on over 300 cafeteria tabletop sign holders in the Michigan Union, Michigan League, and Pierpont Commons. Table Tents can be reserved via lottery at the start of each semester; please visit the SORC Web site to apply for lottery and/or view available spaces.

Digital Ads Display your full-color ad to thousands of passers-by in the Michigan Union, Pierpont Commons, and several campus



computing sites on digital monitors. There are huge discounts for long-term reservations. All reservations are via online request, but if you need personal assistance, just stop at SORC during regular business hours.

Banner Production Room You can reserve the Banner Production Area (BPA) and a projector at SORC. Transparencies for use with the projector can be made at SORC. Bulbs and repairs can be very expensive, so there is a per hour charge to help defray these costs. Please see SORC Web site for current prices. An 8½ x 11” sheet of paper with 1¼” side margins and ½” top margins is a good scale for a Diag board. The scale for banners is 10 inches long by 3 inches tall but you should contact SORC Staff for best results. Hint: The simpler the design, the better. Complex designs with great detail can be difficult to trace and paint, and people might not take the time to read them.

Balloons SORC provides a full-service balloon business to help you decorate for events of any size, or to recognize birthdays and special occasions. Visit the SORC Web site for further details or to place an order.

Conference Room Your organization can reserve the fourth floor conference room, which seats 20 comfortably and has an active internet connection and built-in projection screen, for free. This is available on a first-come, first-serve basis for student groups and departments. Some limits apply.

Tables & Chairs Three 6-foot tables and one 4-foot table are available for use on the Diag or within a mile of campus. Chairs are also available. Contact SORC for these services. You must obtain a Diag permit from 2205 Michigan Union prior to reserving the tables or chairs for use on the Diag. For more information about Diag reservation policies, visit Room 2205 of the Michigan Union or see page 32. In most cases you can pick up tables or chairs with little or no notice. But in order to use these items, an authorized signer for your group must be present to sign the contract. Your group is responsible for returning tables and chairs to SORC clean and unharmed. Misuse may result in additional charges for necessary cleaning or replacement. When you sign a contract to rent a table and/or chairs from SORC, you agree to return the items in their original condition to SORC or pay the applicable cleaning or replacement costs. Please see SORC Web site for current prices.

Copy/ Fax

SORC has a public copy machine, fax machine and lamination machine. These services are offered at low cost to students. SORC is also a campus Campus Computing Site,

featuring 3 PC’s, 2 Macs, 2 scanners and 2 printers.


graphic artist at the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC). The following local/campus newspapers can be reached for rates at these numbers:

The publicity outlets listed here are just a starting place for your organization. Creating a buzz around your organization or event is an essential step toward success. The best publicity campaigns involve using many different publicity outlets to convey one consistent message. Whatever outlet or combination of outlets you use, the key to success is Be Creative! Creativity is the best way to get attention!

Ann Arbor Observer 769-3175 Current Magazine 668-4044 The University Record 764-0105 The Michigan Daily 764-0554 The Michigan Daily also offers a daily list, which publicizes campus events and meetings. This service is free and can be obtained by calling 764-0562.

Word of Mouth Probably the best medium is word of mouth. Get your group’s membership talking to everybody they know about the program or organization. If everyone talks up the event in classes, parties, and cafeterias, people will get interested. Word of mouth advertising is also great, because it is free.

UM*Events Web site:

All student organizations are automatically signed up for the University of Michigan’s Calendar, UM*Events, for FREE by the Campus Information Center. UM*Events provides information on upcoming events to students, community members, and out-of-town guests. Student organizations can use UM*Events as free advertisement, which is accessible to thousands of visitors.

Maize Pages Web site:

Maize pages is an online directory of all student organizations on campus. As soon as an organization is registered, their information is public on Maize Pages. Maize Pages is the easiest way for people to find your organization. The site can also be searched by keyword, type or by tag. The information available includes: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Contact Information Organization General Information Mission Description and Constitution


Newspaper offers two types of publicity: paid and unpaid. Unpaid publicity usually takes the form of a story. In order to have a story written you need to begin by writing a press release. A press release consists of identifying the organization, the contact person, the time in which the information can be released, a one-line summary of the event, and some information on the “who, what, when, where, and why” of the event. Paid advertising takes the form of display advertisements in the paper. Often you will need to submit an advertisement to a newspaper for publication. This can be done by utilizing your membership’s artistic talents, or getting help from a

●● ●● ●● ●●

Residence Halls

Residence Halls are great venues in which to advertise. Before you advertise in the Residence Halls, you must obtain permission. For additional information, or an application for advertisement, visit the Housing Web site at www.housing. You can apply to do the following: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Mailbox Stuffing Newspaper Distribution Place Literature on Display Tables Meal Sacrifice Table Tents Post on RA Bulletin Boards Post on Public Bulletin Boards. Lobby Collection Boxes Distribute or Collect at a Table

Applications must be submitted at least two weeks in advance of the requested solicitation date. Organizations may receive only one approval per academic semester.

Television and Radio Another medium of advertisement is television and radio. Radio stations and Community Access TV offer public service announcements for free, as well as paid commercials. The following is a list of area organizations and numbers. ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

Community Access TV Comcast Cablevision INFO Channel WCBN WOLV WUOM

769-7422 973-2266 763-8129 763-3500 763-8130 764-9210

POSTING FLYERS AND POSTERS Guidelines for Posting Flyers, Posters, and Other Related Items on University Property:


to: All buildings, structures, landscapes, and properties owned or leased by the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. This guideline applies to the exteriors of buildings, etc., and the university grounds, but does not apply to the interior of buildings.

Purpose: To provide a guideline for controlling placement of flyers, posters, etc., on campus in order to maintain a safe environment, control waste, and prevent damage to university property. VI. PUBLICITY


Guidelines: Flyers, posters, etc., may be placed only on the round concrete kiosks specifically designed for the posting of such items (see photo), but not on the top metal cap. Therefore flyers, posters, etc., may not be posted, stapled or taped on: ●●

the exterior of buildings, either on glass of doors and windows, or on masonry, metal, wood or other exterior building material;


trees or other landscape vegetation; or


sidewalks, seatwalls, benches, light poles, emergency ptrash receptacles, triangular Diag boards, or any other outdoor furniture or feature, including public art. Tapingflyers on sidewalks creates a slipping hazard.


The round concrete kiosks will be cleaned off by U-M Grounds staff when papers get too thick and start peeling off, and at a minimum at the end of each term.


Flyers placed on other elements of campus, including on buildings and sidewalks, will be removed by U-M Grounds staff without notice.

UNIVERSITY TRADEMARKS The following wordmarks are considered protected and require a TM (™) designation: ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●● ●●

University of Michigan UM U of M Expect Respect Wolverines Michigan Wolverines Go Blue Let’s Go Blue M

●● The Victors ●● Hail to the Victors ●● Victors Valiant ●● Champions of the West ●● Conquering Heroes ●● Michigan Stadium ●● Crisler Arena ●● Yost Arena

The following wordmarks are also federally registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and require a circle R (®) designation: ●● Michigan ●● The Michigan Difference

●● ●●

Big House Maize Rage

If unclear what a kiosk is, consult the University Planner’s Office (734-764-2455).

Water-soluble Chalk The use of water-soluble chalk on the University sidewalks or plazas is permitted were appropriate. Chalking is prohibited on other University property including, but not limited to buildings, columns, seating walls, steps and other vertical surfaces, structures and fixtures. Defacing University property, including use of non- water-soluble chalk or aerosol spray chalk is prohibited under the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations.

Additional Information: Persons, groups, and organizations placing flyers on surfaces other than the round kiosks, may be liable for any damage caused by the adherent technique (tape, staples, etc.). With prior approval, Diag advertising boards and banner poles may be used to advertise events. Contact the Student Organizations Resource Center: Flyers proposed for posting on bulletin boards and other interior surfaces of a building will be at the discretion of the school, college, department, or unit responsible for the building. No flyers will be allowed on interior surfaces without prior authorization from the appropriate administrator of the building. Paper flyers cannot be recycled because of the amount of tape being used on them. Help conserve paper and reduce litter by getting your message out in other ways: e-mail, radio station announcements, Michigan Daily ads, campus buses, digital ads, etc. For additional posting information, visit:


STUDENT ORGANIZATION NAME The following is a list of how Voluntary Student Organizations and Sponosored Students Organizations can use “The University of Michigan” as part of the name. The University’s Use of Registered Marks Policy states that no student organization may use the University’s protected marks ( for publicity or naming purposes, unless it is a sponsored student organization using the marks with its sponsor’s permission.




NO YES NO NO Yes Yes Yes

Michigan ABC University of Michigan ABC UMABC ABC at Michigan ABC at the University of Michigan ABC at UM



Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes


View your webpage

Student organizations are able to have a website hosted by the University. Authorized signers for the student organization can request a group directory from the ITCS Accounts Office. ITCS has the steps outlined at: This process will create a URL for your organization (e.g. and your organization’s SOAS account will be charged an annual fee.

Creating a Web site Anyone with an IFS home directory can set up a home page on or For step by step instructions on how to create a Web page for your student organizations visit the UMWeb help page. The instructions for building a personal and group home page are very similar. Both are detailed on the ITCS Web site if you need more information than the brief outline provided here. Before You Begin, You Will Need 1. A uniqname 2. Access 3. An

and password

to the ITCS Login Service

IFS home or group directory

To obtain an IFS group directory, contact the ITCS Accounts Office at 764-8000 and tell them you want an IFS group directory. You will need to fill out an application form then the directory will be created and a directory name assigned to your group. After you receive confirmation from the accounts office that the directory has been created, proceed to the next step.

Using a web browser, visit the appropriate URL: For more information, visit:

Advanced Web Technology If your student organization wants to have PHP, Drupal, or databases enabled on your site, it is possible. To request these services you will have to have a virtually hosted site. You can find more information about Virtual Hosting at: To sign up for Virtual Hosting for your site you need to follow these steps: 1. Set

up a group home directory.

2. Contact or 734-763-5900. An authorized signer will have to approve the recurring annual charge for the student organization. University Unions (UU) will send a confirmation email to the signer and ITCS.

3. Once

approved by UU, fill out the Virtual Hosting Request for at: vhost/

4. When

granted, your site will be a sub-domain of

Create Your Web Space Directory Log into the ITCS login server: using an ssh client (FTP clients and web browsers will not work for this step) and execute the “~umweb/bin/make-webspace” command. If you are working with a group space, you may move to your group’s directory by typing: cd ~groupname

Build your Web Page The default file that is read when viewing your webpage is called “index.html”. This means for every folder you create, the web browser will automatically show “index.html” when the user navigates to that folder on your site.

Publish your Web Page Connect to the file servers via the Secure File Transfer Protocol and upload your files. The following pieces of information are what all web editors and sftp clients will require; you will need to consult your documentation for instructions specific to the tool you are using. Server Name: Login: your uniqname Password: your kerberos password Directory: ~/Public/html or ~groupname/Public/html VI. PUBLICITY




NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY * The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity, and Title IX/ Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388. For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817. *as of 08/25/2011

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ACCOUNTABILITY AND RECOGNITION (SOAR) The Student Organization Accountability (SOAR) Process is administered by the Division of Student Affairs. The Accountability Process is based on the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations. Student organizations that choose to be recognized by the University, accept the rights and responsibilities outlined in this policy. Within the University - schools, colleges, funding sources, student governing bodies or other entities - have developed policies regarding the operation of student organizations. These Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations do not replace those standards; nor does it limit the procedures and sanctions provided by those policies, federal, state, or local laws.

The University will follow the procedures outlined here to respond to student organizations that violate the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations. These procedures reflect the University’s commitment to behavior modification through education, student self-governance, alternative dispute resolution, and accountability.

Filing a Complaint A Complaint Form is required to initiate an official complaint by/ against a student organization. Any member affiliated to the University of Michigan may file a complaint. Please review the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations as well as the Procedure Manual and the student organization’s constitution document before filing. Visit 2205 Michigan Union to schedule a consultation. For more information, please visit: accountability

STUDENT ORGANIZATION STATUS By creating three student organization statuses, the SOAR initiative has drawn clear lines upon which the University can distinguish levels of commitment and service. Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO) are not sponsored by the University but are still eligible for some general University benefits. VSOs may be eligible for more University benefits but by seeking these benefits they must adhere to the highest standard of the University and fulfill any University requirement. Sponsored Student Organizations (SSO) are eligible for the benefits and the coverage given to University units. At the same time SSOs are held to the same high standard as a University unit in terms of policy and procedure. Non-affiliated Student Organizations (NSO) are not eligible for benefits or coverage from the University, apart from listing on Maize Pages.



ALCOHOL POLICY All recognized student organizations must follow the guidelines set out in the Vice President of Student Affairs’ Alcohol policy excerpted as follows:

6. UM AOD Policy and Student Organizations The University of Michigan expects each student organization to adopt a policy about the use of alcohol and other drugs that is consistent with this Policy, complies with federal, state and local laws, minimizes criminal and civil liability to the organization and its members, and helps assure the personal safety and welfare of members and guests. The Division of Student Affairs will provide resources and references to assist student organizations with drafting policies. The following guidelines are recommended: I. It is illegal for student organizations to sell alcohol in the state of Michigan. Student organizations can significantly improve personal safety and reduce liability by not providing alcohol to any person. II. If alcohol is to be present at an organization-sponsored activity, the organization can provide for the safety of its members and reduce its liability if: a. Alcohol is not the focus of the event; b. Attractive alternative beverages are provided; c. Procedures are in place to prevent service or sale to persons under the legal age to consume alcohol; d. Alcoholic beverages are not purchased with organization funds nor with the contributions of individual members; e. Alcohol is not served from common or self-serve containers; f. Service complies with this Policy, as well as the rules of the facility; g. Designated non-drinking hosts are assigned to attend the event. h. Assist any attendee who is intoxicated with finding alternative transportation home if he/she is unable to drive If alcohol is to be present at an event, the preferred methods of serving alcohol is to use a caterer or hold the event at a site provided by a vendor who is licensed to sell and serve alcohol. If these methods are not possible, the next best option is to request that guests of age bring a reasonable and limited amount of alcohol that only they will personally consume at the event. Schools, departments, units and administrative offices as appropriate are expected to encourage student organizations’ compliance with these expectations and recommendations. -Excerpted from the Unified AOD policy – staff, faculty, students - June 21, 2006

Alcohol and SSOs SSOs, by virtue of having all funds in University accounts, cannot purchase alcohol for any event. However, an SSO may conduct an event where alcohol is served if the event complies with the venue’s alcohol policy. Alcohol may be either donated or purchased by individuals, either in bulk or through a cash bar, but may never be served in violation of local, state, or federal law.

Alcohol and VSOs

VSOs may not use University funds, including any funds in SOAS or other University accounts, to purchase alcohol. VSOs that maintain bank accounts outside of the University against advice are encouraged to adopt internal restrictions regarding the use of those funds being used for alcohol. There are no University imposed restrictions on the use of those funds. NOTE: All student organizations are strongly encouraged not to maintain bank accounts outside of the University. Student organizations that wish to maintain such accounts do so at their own risk. See page 19.

Alcohol Service

Alcohol should be served by a licensed and insured caterer. ●● Liquor liability coverage is provided for eight licensed University locations: The University Club, Michigan League, Michigan Union, Business School Executive Residence, Inglis House, Oxford Conference Center, Pierpont Commons and Flint Campus University Center. ●● The University also provides coverage at Universitysponsored receptions where liquor is served (not sold). ●● A 24 Hour Liquor License must be arranged through the Office of the General Counsel for “cash bar” or similar receptions serving beer or wine. The Department of Public Safety must be notified of any reception where liquor will be served. Additional notification procedures apply to functions involving University Hospitals. For more information: ●●

CONTRACTS Contracts can be oral or written instruments that illustrate legal duties and/or rights. As such, student organizations should be aware of the gravity of a contract, should act with care, and should always get a contract in writing. ●●

No student may sign a contract on behalf of the University.

SSOs may ask their sponsoring unit to sign a contract (the unit should follow its standard process for contract vetting and authorization). ●● VSOs must sign contracts on their own behalf and cannot bind the University. ●● If your organization has questions about contracts please contact Student organizations commonly encounter contracts when booking events in either campus or non-campus venues. This section will address contracting for these venues. ●●



Campus Venues

Non-campus Venues

When booking an event in a campus venue, (Hill Auditorium, Power Center, Crisler Arena, Mendelssohn Theater, and Rackham Auditorium), student organizations (SSO and VSO alike) should contact University Unions Major Events at 4303 Michigan Union or call 734-763-3202.

Student organizations signing contracts for non-campus venues or acts, goods, or services off campus, may contact Major Events for advice but must sign those contracts themselves. This means that the individual that signs the contract is potentially liable for the organization’s duty under the contract. NOTE: The Michigan Theater requires union stage hands for many acts. Therefore, any student organization event occurring in the Michigan Theater should be coordinated through UU-ME.

Student organizations may not sign contracts for University of Michigan major venues (for the convenience of student organizations, the University does allow authorized signers of recognized student organizations to reserve rooms in the University Unions and classroom space through SOAS). VSOs are required to have insurance coverage for any event held in a U-M major venue. VSOs should contact the Major Events office or Risk Management for more information or see the Insurance section below. A Major Events staff will coordinate with the outside artist or agent and will organize the essential arrangements. University Unions staff will secure a University signature for the contract and will ensure that the University’s requirements are met in the contract. Student organization leaders and advisors who do not go through Major Events and who sign contracts for student organizations may make themselves personally liable for the contractual obligations. The University will not, and can not, pursue any recourse against an outside vendor if the contract is not signed by an official representative of the University. Generally, the University representative for student organizations is the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. Sponsored Student Organizations should consult with their sponsoring unit to locate the appropriate University signing authority. To reserve a venue and process a contract, Major Events requires that a student organization be able to financially cover the cost of the event without relying on ticket sales. If a student organization is unable to do so it is recommended that the student organization enter a co-sponsorship agreement with one or more student organizations to increase their financial resources and audience base. The appropriate University representative must review, and if necessary, sign any contracts for goods or services for any event on campus. University Unions Major Events can facilitate this process.

Student organizations should make it clear who is signing the contract. If it is intended that the University should be contractually liable, the contract must be signed by the appropriate University representative. If the student organization is signing the contract on their own, it should be clear that the student organization is not signing on behalf of the University. Making a false representation to an outside vendor violates the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations.

DATE/ SLAVE AUCTIONS At U-M, equality, openness, and sensitivity are strongly held values. We encourage student organizations to consider these values when planning events and activities. Sometimes organizations hold “Date” or “Slave” auction events as a way to raise money. We understand that groups who hold these events, or have held them in the past usually do so with good intentions. We would like to challenge student organizations to think more deeply about these events, the potential unintended effects of these events, and to consider holding alternative events that could accomplish the same objectives. “Date” or “Slave” auctions involve the process of “bidding” on a human being for the services or the ability to spend time with a certain person. This process devalues a human being to the level of merchandise and involves a comparison of the relative “value” of each person being auctioned. This process has the appearance of actual slave auctions, which are a real and tragic part of this country’s history. Furthermore, we would like organizations to consider the safety concerns that arise as a result of “Date” auctions. When a person “wins” the ability to spend time with another person, there is no way to telling what their true motives are. Given the prevalence of sexual assault in our culture, safety concerns exist if you allow a member of your organization to be compelled to spend time alone with someone that she/he may not know. For these reasons, and because of the many imaginative and feasible alternatives to these activities, the University of Michigan believes that date and slave auctions should be avoided by student organizations at U-M. Adapted from UT-Austin Student Organization Manual




Buying Insurance

Insurance is a large topic and one that student organizations often encounter. The Risk Management department is committed to providing resources and information to University units and student organizations to ensure safe programs and events. Student organizations are encouraged to contact Risk Management with questions regarding insurance coverage.

VSOs that seek to purchase an insurance policy from an outside vendor should use the following guidelines as a place to start.

University insurance is a big benefit that is available to student organizations and student organizations will be liable for any deductible or payment that may arise, as is any University unit. University Insurance covers SSOs and University units for property damage and general liability. Organizations should contact Risk Management if they require additional or different types of coverage.

SSO SSOs are covered under the University’s self-insurance, as the sponsoring department would be, for all sanctioned events that are consistent with both the University’s and the organization’s missions. SSOs should contact Risk Management to obtain a certificate of insurance, if one is needed.

VSO VSOs are not covered under the University’s self-insurance. VSOs that have an active Event Sponsorship Agreement with a University Unit, should be aware that only the event is insured under the University’s insurance coverage. ●● For any events that are not sponsored and that require insurance, VSOs must secure their own policies, or verify that the vendor/venue is carrying a policy that applies to the specific event. ●● For any events that a VSO undertakes in collaboration with a SSO, if the need for insurance arises, the SSO and the event will be covered under the University’s insurance. The VSO, if necessary, should obtain coverage from an outside vendor and should explicitly list the SSO and the University of Michigan as separately insured. ●● VSOs are required to have insurance coverage for any event held in a U-M major venue. VSOs should contact UU-ME or Risk Management for more information. University Units and Student Organizations that are contemplating Event Sponsorship or purchasing insurance should review the Sponsorship information on page 10. ●●

What to Buy

Organizations should first determine the potential exposure to risk and level of risk they are willing to assume. In general, organizations will want to focus primarily on risks associated with property damage and general liability. Property Damage coverage protects the organization’s physical properties in the event of sudden and accidental damage due to a variety of conditions such as weather, explosions, theft or other unforeseen events. If the organization has little property at risk, foregoing coverage may be appropriate. General Liability coverage extends to protect the organization and its members from claims for damages and/ or injuries resulting from negligence. Purchasers should ensure that policies extend coverage to provide protection of an organization’s representatives.

How to Buy Insurance coverage may be purchased in separate policies, each of which addresses special needs and risks. For example, an organization might choose to buy property coverage from one company and general liability coverage from another, either because it is more economical or because the policies better fit the organization’s needs. In some cases, organizations also have the option of purchasing special package policies that combine different sorts of commercial coverage.

Who should I Contact? Inquiries may be made directly to insurance companies. It may be helpful to contact a local insurance agent or broker, however, as they are often able to assist in analyzing risk and provide advice, direction and suggestions for appropriate and cost effective coverage.

Is there a Form?

Insurance companies typically utilize their own forms for application for coverage and issue certificates of insurance on an insurance industry standardized form.

What Information do Insurance Companies Need? Required information will vary by the type of coverage and events for which coverage is solicited. Typically, companies will require information with respect to the nature, location and size of events, safety and loss prevention measures being implemented, and the number of participants.



PARTY POLICIES Currently the following are Facility/community specific regarding party policy at U of M:

University Unions (UU) Dance Party Policy For UU’s Dance Party Policy please see page 34.

Greek Life Party Policy Greek Life has also adopted the Social Environment Management Policy for Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternity Council at the University of Michigan. You may read this policy at: guidebook/policies/party or visit the following website for a full list of Greek Life-specific policy, guidelines and procedures:


Statement The University of Michigan condemns hazing practices associated with membership, advancement, leadership, or continued good standing in student organizations. For more information see:

Background Hazing is a destructive approach to assimilation into and membership in an organization. It results in mental and physical harm, injuries, and deaths. Activities associated with membership in a student organization should contribute to the positive development of the person. Activities intended to assimilate a student into the organization should focus on the purposes, values and goals of the organization. Membership activities should be positive, educational, challenging, and fun, and should conscientiously avoid placing the student in danger.

Definition: “Hazing,” as used here, means any action or situation that (1) recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for purposes of initiation or admission into or affiliation with any organization; (2) includes, but is not limited to, any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the elements, forced consumption of any food, liquid, liquor, drug, or other substance; (3) includes any other forced or coerced physical activity which could adversely affect the physical health or safety of the student; (4) includes any activity which would subject the student to extreme mental stress, such as sleep deprivation, forced exclusion from social contact, impairment of physical



liberties (e.g. kidnapping) or interfering with the student’s academic endeavors, (5) includes forced or coerced conduct which could result in extreme embarrassment, or (6) other forced or coerced activity which could adversely affect the mental health or dignity of the student. This hazing definition is intended to be measured on an objective basis. The fact that the victim of hazing willingly submits or agrees to the activity is not relevant. It is the responsibility of all members to protect others from unreasonable risk of harm.

USE OF UNIVERSITY FUNDS These guidelines apply to funds distributed directly from University of Michigan schools, colleges, centers, institutes, departments, offices, and programs. These guidelines also apply to funds distributed by student-run organizations such as Michigan Student Assembly, school and college student governments, Residence Hall Association, Black Student Union, or University Activities Center. Studentrun organizations, however, may adopt more focused or restrictive funding guidelines.

University funds may not be used for the Following purposes: 1. Political

campaigning: To advocate for or against a candidate for elective office; or to advocate for or against the adoption of legislation on a federal, state, or local level. 2. Staff salaries. To support the salaries of full or part-time employees other than those directly appointed by U-M. 3. Illegal activity. To support or engage in illegal activity. 4. Business activities: To support for-profit activities of individuals or groups. 5. Charitable donations to organizations outside the University. 6. Lobbying: To influence legislation by contacting, or urging the public to contact, members or employees of legislative bodies for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or advocating for the adoption or rejection of legislation. 7. Alcohol and tobacco: To purchase alcohol or tobacco products. 8. Religious Activities: University funds cannot be used to provide direct support of religious activities, worship or proselytizing. The University of Michigan applies its funding guidelines in a viewpoint neutral manner and is committed to working with all student groups to ensure appropriate access to all university benefits, including funding. If you have any questions about whether your activity is eligible for funding, please email NOTE: Student organizations may transfer funds to other student organizations.

Non-University Funds


Non-University Funds may be raised in many ways including but not limited to: membership dues, alumni donations, off campus fund raising, and grants (from NonU-M sources).

The ability to benefit from the University’s tax status is one of the defining characteristics of sponsored status. When the possibility of a charitable contribution is present, sponsoring units may accept the contribution through the mechanisms University Development has in place.

If your student organization raises its own funds and wishes to make a donation to charity SOAS will set up a dual account system to keep University funds separate from charitable donation funds. See DF Accounts on page 19.

TRAVEL ABROAD Students traveling outside the United States on University related activities are strongly advised to provide emergency contact information on the International Travel Oversight Committee’s International Travel Registry at: www.umich. edu/~itoc. The registry asks for the traveler’s departure and return dates, on-site contact information, and an emergency contact in the U.S. The information entered is accessible by U-M’s Department of Public Safety, and can be used to provide support to U-M faculty, staff, and students while abroad in the event of an emergency or other situation requiring urgent communication. For more information you should review the Off-campus Travel Handbook at:

Health Insurance Policy Resources

Adequate health insurance is extremely important when traveling abroad. Accidents can happen to healthy people and you could risk facing enormous medical bills without it. University of Michigan Travel Abroad Health Insurance administered by HTH Worldwide is a special plan for traveling abroad does not provide coverage in the U.S., except for very limited follow-up treatment for illness/injuries suffered while abroad so you should keep insurance which covers you in the U.S. Learn more about international work, study, and travel from the International Center at:

SSOs In general, the Sponsoring unit may accept the charitable contribution for the SSO. SSOs, through their sponsoring unit, have the administrative support and mission alignment with the University necessary to adequately manage charitable contribution. The Sponsoring unit must provide guidance and oversight for charitable contributions to SSOs, complying with the intentions of the donor and the law.

VSOs Generally, the University may not accept a charitable contribution on behalf of a VSO. VSOs do not represent the university. Consequently VSOs do not have the authority or the oversight necessary to administer contributions for the University. If a VSO has its own charitable status under Internal Revenue Code Sec. 501(c)(3), it may accept the gift on its own authority and may process it under its own procedures. The only case where the University can accept a contribution to a VSO, is when the VSO has completed an Event Sponsorship Agreement (ESA). An ESA covers one event only and gives the VSO access to the benefits of sponsorship for that one event. All contributions accepted under the ESA must be tracked and accounted for during and after the event. Any other situations where the University may wish to accept a charitable contribution on behalf of a VSO should be approved by University Unions, which will consult with General Counsel, the Tax Department and the appropriate development office.

NSOs The University may not accept gifts on behalf of NSOs. The ESA exception does not apply because NSOs are not able to enter into ESAs with the University.




Overview The Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations are the basis for the student organization accountability process. This accountability process came about through the Student Organization Advancement and Recognition (SOAR) initiative. The process is centered on student governance of student organizations. Below is an excerpt that details some of the violations of the Standards that student organizations should avoid. For a full copy of the Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations please contact: 734-763-5900 or download a copy at

Excerpt from Sect. IV of the Standards Section IV (A) All recognized student organizations (RSOs) (sponsored or voluntary) are expected to act consistently with the values of the University community. The University places the highest value on student organizations’ expressive activities. Except as necessary in cases of misconduct, the University will not interfere with the internal affairs of RSOs. RSOs are not presumed to be responsible for the independent acts of their individual members or autonomous RSOs that are subordinate to the original RSO (hereinafter collectively referred to as members). A RSO is responsible for a violation of the Standards of Conduct if: 1. A

member acts in contravention to the Standards of Conduct as a representative of the organization, 2. The member’s actions, which contravene the Standards of Conduct, result from the practices or dispositions of the RSO, or 3. The member’s actions, which contravene the Standards of Conduct, have been explicitly or tacitly approved by the organization.

VIOLATION OF STANDARDS OF CONDUCT If a student organization has violated the Standards of Conduct it is up to you as a member of this University community to hold that organization accountable for its actions. To initiate a complaint under the Standards of Conduct, the first step is to visit 2205 Michigan Union. We will meet with you to discuss the Accountability Process, provide options for moving forward, and answer any questions you may have about the complaint process.



Section IV (B) The following contradict the values of the University community and are subject to corrective action under the Standards of Conduct. 1. Health

and Safety. RSOs must not foster, promote, or participate in activities that unreasonably threaten the safety or well-being of their members, other people, or animals.

2. Hazing. Hazing is strictly prohibited. RSOs must comply

with the University of Michigan policy on hazing.


Use of University funds. RSOs may not use University funds for the following purposes: a) Political campaigning. b) Staff salaries. To support salaries of full or part-time employees not employed directly by the University of Michigan. c) Illegal activity. d) Business Activities. e) Donations to non U-M charities. f) Lobbying. To influence legislation by contacting, or urging the public to contact, members or employees of legislative bodies for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or advocating for the adoption or rejection of legislation g) Alcohol and tobacco products.

4. Fund

raising. RSOs may not engage in fund raising or soliciting activities in violation of the University’s fund raising guidelines for recognized student organizations.

5. Financial

Stewardship. RSOs may not use or account for student organization funds in violation of University financial and accounting procedures. Violations include but are not limited to: a) breaching contractual obligations, b) using student organization funds for purposes not authorized by the student organization and/or outside the realm of these Standards of Conduct and University Policy, c) failing to provide accounting of all contributions and reporting said contributions to the proper University unit, d) using contributions for a purpose other than as stated by the contributor and/or failing to submit a report of expenditures against those contributions to the proper University unit, e) failing to follow SOAS policies and procedures.

6. Appropriate

Use of Space. RSOs must use Universitycontrolled spaces in accordance with the standards of the particular space.

7. Non-Discrimination.

RSOs must not improperly discriminate in recruiting, membership, hiring, or group activities on the basis of race, sex (includes gender identity and gender expression), color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or Vietnam-era veteran status. However, RSOs that have been given

permission during the registration process to have gender-exclusive practices will not be deemed to have discriminated consistent with that permission. 8. Compliance

with University’s naming and trademarks policies. VSOs may not use the University’s name, logo, symbols, seal, or trademarks without obtaining express written permission from the University. SSOs may only use the University’s name, logos, symbols, seal or trademark as permitted by the U-M Internet Publishing Guidelines and Instructions Section 3.8, the U-M Identity Guidelines; and any other policies established by either the Office of the Vice President and Secretary or the Office of the Vice President for Communications.

9. Violation

of the Student Organization Constitution. RSOs are bound by the constitution submitted during the recognition process. Any organization that violates their published constitution, is in violation of these Standards of Conduct, even if an amendment has been made and submitted, but has not yet been approved. Adherence to Other University Policies. RSOs must adhere to University policies, including but not limited to the University’s computer use policies, Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs, Dance and Party Policy, Diag Policy and housing policies.


Adherence to Law. RSOs must adhere to federal, state, and local laws.


Adherence to the Standards of Conduct. RSOs may not file a false complaint, use this policy to harass or intimidate a student organization, or fail to cooperate or participate in the accountability process.


Interference with RSO or University business. RSOs may not engage in intentional interference that impedes or disrupts the business of an RSO or University unit. Ethical competition is not considered to be interference.


Sanctions and Restorative Measures A. Sanctions.

The sanctions that may be imposed on student organizations by the Dean of Students after a recommendation from a student governing body are included in, but not limited to, the following list. The student governing body may recommend and the Dean may issue one or any combination of sanctions. 1. Formal Written Reprimand. 2. Fines. 3. Inability to Access University Funds. 4. Restricted Activities. Restricting the student organization’s ability access University-controlled benefits and resources. 5. Disciplinary Suspension. Separation of the student organization from the University for a period of at least one semester.

6. Emergency

Suspension. In cases where students’ health and safety is alleged to be significantly jeopardized, the Office of the Vice-President for Student Affairs may suspend the activity of a student organization for 30 days. The organization then is entitled to a hearing within 10 days. 7. De-Recognition. Permanent separation of a student organization from the University. Student organizations that are de-recognized are not eligible to apply to be a recognized student organization for at least four years. 8. Suspension of Sponsorship. To suspend the agreement, either party to the agreement must notify University Unions at 2205 Michigan Union and their respective sponsor or sponsored student organization. 9. Dissolution of Sponsorship. Any person, office, or organization outside the Sponsorship Agreement may recommend the dissolution of sponsorship; only the SSO and the Sponsoring Unit have the power to dissolve the agreement.

B. Restorative Measures

The University of Michigan sees education potential in unconventional situations and incidents. Working with student organizations is no exception. The educational value of student organizations is the primary reason for the strong university support that they receive. Unfortunately, some of the best educational opportunities come through mistakes and adversity. The sanctions listed above are designed to protect the University community and maintain high community standards. They are not, however, the only or best avenue for a positive learning experience. A student governing body may recommend and the Dean may issue one or any combination of the following restorative measures in addition to, or in lieu of, the sanctions listed above. These measures may take the form of, but are not limited to, any of the following: 1. Written plan for reconstruction of the Organization. 2. Restitution. Required compensation for loss, damage, or injury to the appropriate party in the form of service, money, or material replacement. 3. Class/Workshop Attendance. Attendance and completion of a class or workshop that will assist the student organization avoid future non-compliance with the Standards of Conduct. 4. Educational Project. Completion of a project specifically designed to assist the student organization avoid future non-compliance with the Standards of Conduct. 5. Service. Performance of a task, or tasks, designed to benefit the community and that also assists the student organization avoid future non-compliance with the Standards of Conduct.





Campus Information Centers (CIC)

Michigan Union & Pierpont Commons, , 764-INFO CIC provides information about University offices, departments, resources and events as well as information about the Ann Arbor community. ●● ●● ●●

The Career Center 3200 Student Activities Building, 764-7460 The Career Center assists students from all academic units with their career exploration, job search skill development and interests in advanced educational opportunities. Through counseling/advising, programs, assessment tools, practice interviews and job fairs, students learn about themselves and the world of work. ●● ●●

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) 3rd floor, Michigan Union, 764-8312 CAPS provides counseling, consultation, programming, crisis intervention and outreach programming for the student community. Services are aimed at helping students resolve emotional/psychological difficulties and acquire skills to enable them to take full advantage of their college experience. Problems frequently encountered by students include depression, anxiety, relationship issues, academic concerns, eating issues and others. ●● ●●

Dean of Students

3000 Michigan Union, 764-7423 Possessing an effective understanding of university policies, procedures and community life, staff works with individual students, student groups, staff and faculty to resolve issues and eliminate barriers which can impede the realization of educational and personal goals. They also assist students who are experiencing serious personal concerns or emergencies by serving as a central point of contact and coordination within the university including issues, academic concerns, eating disorders and others. ●● ●●

Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning 1024 Hill St., 647-7402 The Ginsberg Center is home to multiple community service learning programs, including America Reads Tutoring Corps, Michigan Community Service Corps, Michigan Neighborhood AmeriCorps Program, Project Community, Detroit Initiative and SERVE. In addition, the Ginsberg Center also has many faculty and student initiatives. The Ginsberg Center also houses the OCSL Press, which produces the annual Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning as well as other servicelearning publications. ●● ●●

Office of Greek Life (OGL) 4115 Michigan Union, 936-3686 Greek Life has been an important part of student life since 1845. There are over 60 fraternities and sororities on Michigan’s campus, each of which offers valuable opportunities for personal development, making friends and contributing to the greater community. ●● ●●

International Center (IC) West Quad, 764-9310 and Pierpont Commons, , 936-4180 The International Center provides services and programs for international students, scholars, faculty, their families and domestic students interested in studying or working abroad, on campus and in the community. Services and programs include new student orientation for international students, assisting with cultural adjustment issues, advising on immigration matters, hiring foreign faculty, helping to plan overseas travel for work or study, coordination of international visitors, Peace Corps Program and a health insurance program for international students and scholars. ●● ●●

Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA) 2204 Michigan Union, 763-9044 MESA is an active partner in the development of students of color – addressing racial/ethnic identity development, cross-cultural competency and personal empowerment. MESA also exists to promote and sustain a sense of community and involvement for students, particularly students of color. ●● ●●

William Monroe Trotter Center 1443 Washtenaw Avenue, 763-3670 Trotter Multicultural Center services and programming to build an environment in which all students can develop a better understanding and appreciation for the multicultural diversity at Michigan. The Multicultural Center also provides spaces for cultural, social, and educational events and offers co-sponsorship to stimulate interest in the ethnic and cultural traditions of U-M students. ●● ●●

Ombuds Office Room 6015 Fleming Building, 763-3545 Students who are having serious disputes with the any part of the University (academic, administrative or other) are encouraged to visit the Ombuds Office to understand your rights, discuss options for dispute resolution and get needed referrals. The Ombuds Office is: Neutral, Confidential, Independent and Informal. ●● ●●

The Program on Intergroup Relations (IGR) ●● ●●

3000 Michigan Union, 936-1875

IGR works in partnership with LS&A to offer courses and training in inter-group relations and social justice education. In addition, IGR is interested in developing co-curricular programs that enhance a sense of community between and among specific student groups and student organizations.

Department of Recreational Sports CCRB, NCRB, IM Building, Established 1913. The Department of Recreational Sports (Rec Sports) develops and conducts five major program areas that offer a variety of structures within which members of the U-M community may pursue athletic, fitness and Intramural Sports, and Outdoor Adventures.

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSSD) G-664 Haven Hall, 763-3000 SSD offers selected student services which are not provided by other university offices or outside organizations. Our services are free of charge. ●● ●●

Assists students in negotiating disability-related barriers to the pursuit of their education. ●● Strives to improve access to university programs, activities and facilities for students with disabilities. ●● Promotes increased awareness of disability issues on campus. ●●

Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) ●● 715 N. University, Suite 202, 998-9368 ●● ●● Crisis Line phone #: 734-936-3333. ADVOCACY: Professional staff provide academic, legal, medical and housing advocacy for survivors around issues of sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, and relationship violence (emotional, physical, and sexual). CRISIS INTERVENTION: SAPAC staff can provide in-person crisis intervention at residence halls, campus offices, hospitals, and police departments. The crisis line is available 24 hours a day and is staffed by professionals who provide confidential crisis intervention, information and referral services. EDUCATION AND TRAINING: SAPAC provides educational programs on sexual violence issues and systems of oppression as they relate to sexual violence for the entire university community. Programs can be facilitated by SAPAC Peer Educators or professional staff.

The Spectrum Center 3200 Michigan Union, 763-4186 The Spectrum Center provides a comprehensive range of education, information and advocacy services. The Office works to maintain an open, safe and inclusive environment for students and the campus community. LGBTA programs and resources include a campus-wide Speakers Bureau, educational workshops about LGBT issues and the Jim Toy Library of LGBT resources. ●● ●●

●● ●●



Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR) G121 South Quad, 936-6308 OSCR administers the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities (Statement), which sets forth behavioral standards expected of all university students, and establishes a system for responding to conduct inconsistent with stated standards. In addition to the Statement, OSCR provides a vast array of conflict resolution services to students and student organizations, and works closely with other units to build positive living-learning environments where disputes are settled civilly and with dignity for all participants. ●● ●●

University Health Service (UHS) 207 Fletcher St. 764-8320 UHS is a comprehensive outpatient clinic, located on central campus. Enrolled students pay a health service fee, included as part of tuition, which covers most services. Appointments are recommended but walk-in services are available. UHS is open Monday through Saturday. ●● ●●

University Housing 1500 Student Activities Building, 647-3048 University Housing provides on-campus accommodations to approximately 10,000 undergraduate students in 15 residence halls and a co-operative house as well as another 3,000 residents in five apartment complexes. Over 1,600 undergraduate students participate in nine living-learning programs (Michigan Learning Communities) offered in UM residence halls, seven of which are a collaboration with the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. ●● ●●

University Unions 530 S. State St. 764-0446 University Unions strives to enrich University life through facilities, services, and programs that support and encourage student development and student learning, and enhance the overall educational experience of students. As full services centers for the campus, thousands of people visit the Unions each day to take advantage of amenities such as study space, co-curricular activities, meeting rooms, restaurants and retail stores. Known for providing an open, inviting, and comfortable atmosphere, the Unions are a place where students, faculty and staff can meet, socialize, attend events, and enjoy a meal. ●● ●●

University Catering Pierpont Commons, 764 - 2142 University catering is excited and prepared to host anywhere on campus. We service Central campus and North Campus. There are many locations to consider, some a bit easier to logistically plan and some a bit more complicated. Trust University catering as your Ann Arbor premier caterer! ●● ●●


Account Information Requests Usage Advisor Adding and Deleting Signers Alcohol Policy Audio/ Video Equipment Rental Auditoriums Audits Authorized Signers

Facility Usage and Scheduling Financial Statements of Activity Flyers and Posters Funding Fundraising


Balloons Benefits of Recognition Bucket Drives Budget Bus Charter Signs

27 19 11 21 45 G 30 Gifts and Awards 30,31 H 27 21,24 Hazing 40 Inactive Accounts 07 Insurance 33 Invoices 28,29


36 40 52 42 18 49 30 19 19 23 10 45

D Dance Party Policy Date/ Slave Auctions Deficit Balances Depositing Funds Designated Funds (DF) Account Diag Banner Poles Boards Digital Ads Disbursement Authorization Form Donations


Elbel Field Equipment Rental Ethics Events and Activities Event Sponsorship Expense Account Codes Description




C Campus Resources Chalking Chartfield Charitable Contributions Classrooms Closing an Account Commercial Bank Accounts Conflict of Interest Constitution and Bylaws Contracts

31 27 41 37,38 37

34 46 27 20 19 32 40 39 40 24 37

Joining an Organization

L Leadership Transition LSA Facilities

M Mail Files Maintaining Balances Maize Pages Michigan Student Assembly Michigan Union Office Space Mileage Reinbursement

N Name Change Permissions New Members Non-Descrimination Policy Noise Exemption Requests

18,19 S 47 Sales and Solicitation 25 Sales Tax Sanctions & Restorative Measures 07 Services Rendered Worksheet Shortcode SOAS 14 SORC 30 Sponsored Student Organization Sponsorship 13 Stop Payments 26 Standards of Conduct 6,9,41 Student Organization 38 About 16 Accountability Process 24 Categories Documents Supporting Documentation 12 42 12 44 32

O Office Space Outdoor Events/ Areas

Receipts Recruitment Registration Benefits Eligibility Re-Registration Requirements Status Steps Timeline Reinbursing and Individual 25 Revenue Account Codes Room Rentals

14 32


Palmer Commons Palmer Field Partnership Policy 31 Party Policies 36 Paying an Invoice 05 PeoplePay 28 Policies & Guidelines 13 Publicity Purchase Orders (P. O.) 24,27 Project/ Grant 24

31 31 34 48 25 22 44 39 22 18




25 12 07 08 08 08 07 09 07



20,27 30 38 26 51 22,24 19 18 39 7,44 11 23 50 05 44 09 12 24

T Table Tents Tables & Chairs Tax information Transfer of Funds Travel Abroad Trotter Multicultural Center

40 40 26 23 49 31

U UM Events Unions University Investment Pool (UIP) Using Account Funds URooms

41 31 27 21,48 30

V Vehicle Reservations Virtual Hosting Request Voluntary Student Organizations

34 43 7,44

W Websites Welcoming New Members

43 12



Angell Hall (Bake Sales)


The Spectrum Center





Central Campus Diag Scheduling


Minority Engineering ProgramsOffice (MEPO)

East Quad Auditorium


Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA)


Palmer Commons


Ginsberg Center - SERVE


Challenge Course (NCRB)

763-4560 647-2059

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)


Plant Operations Theatre Department

764-5351 763-3670

Sexual Assault Prevention & Awareness Center (SAPAC)


Trotter Multicultural Center University Unions Event Services


University Activities Center (UAC)


LSA Facilities


University Unions (UU)




Arts at Michigan


Campus Information Centers (CIC)


Center for the Education of Women

764-6005 647-7402

Student Organization Resource Center (SORC)


Ginsberg Center Hillel


Michigan Daily


LSA Student Government (LSASG)


University Record


Michigan Student Assembly (MSA)


University Radio


Office of Academic Multucultural Initiatives (OAMI)


Residence Halls Association (RHA)


Student Affairs Programing Council


U of M Engineering Council



Copy Center (Law School)


Data Systems (ITCS)


Mail Services



Photo Services


Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)


Property Disposition


UM Computer Showcase


Dean of Students Office


Office of the Ombudsman



Program on Intergroup Relations (IGR)


Cashiers Office LSA


Student Legal Services (SLS)


Office of the VP & General Counsel


U-M Psychiatric Emergency


Office Services (LSA)


University Health Service (UHS)


Risk Management Department


Student Organization Accounts Service, 734-763-5767


Computer Service/ ITCS

University Unions, 734-763-5900

2011-12 Guidebook for Recognized Student Organizations  

2011-12 Guidebook for University of Michigan Recognized Student Organizations