Your source for community news and sports 7 days a week.
LOCAL ENTERTAINMENT, A7-9
A LOOK AT THE LADY ROCKETS
PREP BASKETBALL, B1
TELEGRAPH
Thursday, November 14, 2013
SERVING DIXON AND THE SURROUNDING AREA SINCE 1851
DIXON | SEXUAL ABUSE ARREST
Prior knowledge of abuse? Police chief: VIVA! employee knew of allegations months ago BY CHRISTI WARREN cwarren@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 521
DIXON — At least one high-level VIVA! Performing Arts employee knew about a vocal instructor’s alleged sex abuse as early as this spring, police say. Dixon Police Chief Danny Langloss said that during the investigation into the sex abuse allegations against 31-year-old Rob-
ert Campbell, an interview with VIVA!’s director of drama Tim Boles revealed that Boles had previously been made aware of the abuse. According to Langloss, Boles told investigators that this spring the now-17-year-old male student told him of the alleged abuse, but the student asked him not to tell anyone, so he didn’t. Calls to Boles by Sauk Valley
Media on Wednesday went unanswered, as have many calls made to VIVA! since Campbell’s Nov. 4 arrest. As of Wednesday evening, Campbell’s photograph and bio still were listed on VIVA!’s faculty web page. Langloss said that even after the student told Boles about the alleged abuse, Campbell continued to actively work with minors
through VIVA! programs, as well as during private lessons. Boles never told school officials or authorities about the allegations, Langloss said. Langloss said police have statements from more than one person indicating that the president of VIVA!’s board of directors, Curtt Schmidtt, also knew about the allegations.
Robert Campbell Suspect worked with Dixon High School theater department
ABUSE CONTINUED ON A2
LEE COUNTY
DIXON
Man’s body found on I-88
Vending firm buys competitor Companies have long family histories in local business BY PAM EGGEMEIER peggemeier@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 570
Philip Marruffo/pmarruffo@saukvalley.com
Police work at the scene along Interstate 88 where the body of a 65-year-old man was found Wednesday morning. The body was found just west of Dixon, next to the Hoyle Road overpass.
State police releasing few details surrounding death BY CHRISTI WARREN cwarren@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 521
DIXON – The body of a 65-year-old white man was found this morning along Interstate 88 just west of Dixon, next to the Hoyle
Road overpass, his feet pointing toward the road. His body was on the incline next to the bridge, seen clearly from the highway. Authorities got a call about the body just before 8 a.m. At least five police cars were
at the site just before 10 a.m., including the Lee County coroner. Illinois State Police are handling the investigation and are waiting to release the name pending family notification. State police wouldn’t pro-
vide further details. They wouldn’t comment on the circumstances surrounding the death or how long his body had been there. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 815632-4010, ext. 220.
PROPHETSTOWN
Christmas trees ‘lightened our spirits a little’ BY MATT MENCARINI mmencarini@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 529
PROPHETSTOWN – The space that once was filled with eight buildings in downtown Prophetstown now has seven Christmas trees. The trees were planted last
$1.00
TODAY’S EDITION: 28 PAGES 2 SECTIONS VOL. 163 ISSUE 139
Thursday and decorated with about 2,000 lights each on Monday. The lights will be turned on and synced with Christmas music at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 30, the start of the town’s Christmas parade. The Prophetstown branch of the IH Mississippi Valley
INDEX
Credit Union approached the town with the idea, said Sarah Klout, a supervisor at the bank. “We wanted to do something,” Klout said. “The credit union is all about the town. And it wanted to do something. And with the season, they wanted to do something,
BUSINESS ......... A14 COMICS ............. A12 CROSSWORD....B13
DEAR ABBY ....... A13 LOTTERY ............. A2 OBITUARIES ........ A4
and they came up with this.” The bank also is where two firerelated funds – for the victims and the rebuilding effort – were established. The victims fund has been closed, Klout said, but the rebuilding fund still is open.
DIXON – Two longtime Dixon vending businesses are now one. Arch Vending Inc., a full-line vendor of beverages, snacks, sandwiches and other foods, has completed its acquisition of Walter C. Knack Co. The deal was finalized in late October, but it had been done gradually. Two of the six Knack employees will move to Arch Vending. Owner Kevin Knack said the family was “just ready” to exit the business after 35 years of long hours in a challenging business. “Kevin had been downsizing for a while, and we had been buying the routes, little by little,” Arch Vending owner Bob Wegner said. Wegner said the families know each other well, and that the competition between them was always friendly. “Kevin and I were both Jefferson [Elementary School] Jets,” Wegner said. “We have been friends all our lives, even while we were competitors.” Both companies have long family histories in the Dixon business community, making it important to all involved that Walter C. Knack remain locally run. Walter C. Knack Sr. started the company in 1922 as a tobacco wholesaler. It later became a general wholesaler, and from the mid-1950s until 1969 was a wholesaler-vending hybrid. The firm decided to operate strictly as a vending machine company in 1969, according to Kevin Knack. Kevin’s father, Walter C. Knack Jr., died in 1991. Kevin, a brother and two sisters had run the business since the 1980s. Sister Karla sold out of the business about 15 years ago and now runs Flowers Etc. in Dixon. Kevin and brother Kenyon still are helping the Wegners with the transition.
TREES CONTINUED ON A4
OPINION .............. A6 PLAN!T ................. A7 SPORTS ...............B1
VENDING CONTINUED ON A4
Today’s weather High 44. Low 28. More on A3.
Need work? Check out your classifieds, B7.
TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE PAPER, CALL 815-284-2224 OR 800-798-4085