1 Front
Serving Bureau County Since 1847
Thursday, July 7, 2016
NEWSSTAND PRICE 75¢
Bridging the gap in education Financial stopgap passage provides Illinois with a budget ... for the time being By Eric Engel eengel@bcrnews.com
PRINCETON/SPRING VALLEY — Area superintendents are pleased with the stopgap measure temporarily halting the budget impasse in Illinois, but they are nowhere near fully satisfied. Jim Hermes, superintendent at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Spring Valley, said the
district has lost close to $1,000,000 over the last seven years, resulting in less staff members and programs. With the stopgap measures, Hermes said they are expecting a little over $160,000. He added the school district has always managed to budget appropriately through smart spending because a bare bones schedule offers few financial breaks.
“Just because we receive this new money doesn’t mean we’ll spend carelessly — we’ll just do what we’ve done in the past — but this will help us provide the consistent and quality education we’ve given over the years,” Hermes said, stating his biggest fear is failing the students his educational facility represents. Hermes said he’d like to see more money for
education because years in the red sends less bus tires rolling down the road to transport future school teachers, doctors and astronauts to the prerequisites of their future careers. “The state funds a lot of important social programs, and few would disagree education should always be on the forefront; but when it comes to cuts and budgets, the system is broken,” he said, add-
ing Illinois citizens are not broken with their ability and desire to produce results, but they are currently like children trying to intercede between screaming parents. “There are a lot of examples of states out there that are doing the right thing and creating revenue, and I don’t want to see good people leaving Illinois. I want our graduates to come back
to the Illinois Valley, but when even the colleges are afraid of closing their doors, local kids choose colleges out of state just because those schools will stay open.” Princeton Elementary School Superintendent Tim Smith had a few words to describe the situation … relieved, but not yet refreshed.
Stopgap Page 4
Princeton OKs access for new Casey’s New business to be located on the corner of North Main Street and Ace Road By Goldie Rapp grapp@bcrnews.com
BCR photo/Dave Cook
The summer wheat has been harvested the way it used to be done in preparation for Ohio’s Ol’ Fashun Threshun Days which will be held the weekend of July 16-17. Visitors to the event will see a wide variety of steam-powered and antique farm equipment in action, plus tractors, engines, a flea market, craft show, music, pedal pulls, food, petting zoo, antique cars and more.
the case of severe weather.” Sangston said they have not pinpointed why everything failed, having gone over several different possibilities, but obviously there were some electrical issues.
PRINCETON — Casey’s General Store is assembling plans to build a new location on the north side of Princeton. The Princeton City Council approved a resolution Tuesday, July 5, that will allow construction of a new commercial access on Route 26. According to a map included with the resolution, it shows the location of the new business being on the corner of North Main Street and Ace Road. Commissioner Ray Mabry said the work for the commercial entrance will be done at no cost to the city, and the proposed work will not be performed by employees of the city. In other news: • Princeton City Manager Rachel Skaggs reported on the total hotel/motel tax monies received for Fiscal Year 201516, which ended on April 30. The total taxes received was $133,869.51, which was a total increase of about $12,000 over the same time period last fiscal year. • Skaggs also reported on the sales tax for FY 2016-17, which so far, only includes the month of May. During this month, the city collected a total of $158,298.47, which is a decrease of about $3,100 compared to May 2015.
Alarm system Page 3
Casey’s Page 4
Harvesting the past
Fixed on the forewarning
Spring Valley rehabilitating emergency alarm system By Eric Engel eengel@bcrnews.com
SPRING VALLEY — During the Spring Valley City Council meeting Tuesday, July 5, Spring Valley Police Chief Kevin Sangston tackled the issue of faulty emergency sirens Year 170 No. 81 One Section - 20 Pages
during recent storms. Sangston said last week during the heavy storms, the city experienced a failure of the tornado sirens, as well as the fire sirens. They had radios and a dispatcher go out, as well as an issue with the control radio in the basement of the police
station. One of the speakers at Baltikauski Park blew out, and an electrical issue with the Webster Park siren caused the breaker to be tripped repeatedly. “The system is back up and working, and residents will hear the sirens tested the first Tuesday of every
month,” Sangston said, noting the fire siren, tornado siren and radio equipment were all rehabbed. “We installed new software and new parts, and although it’s not working as efficiently as intended, we do have all four sirens functioning right now in
Stay Cool This Summer in the comfort of your home!
© Bureau County Republican
PLUMBING & HEATING, INC.
815-882-2111 815-875-2540
FREE ESTIMATES!
404 W. Main, McNabb, IL
www.grassersplumbingheating.com
SM-PR2651018-0721
Get your air conditioner checked & cleaned or replace that old unit with a new high efficiency Carrier unit.