1 Front
Serving Bureau County Since 1847
Thursday, June 30, 2016
Woman charged after fatal accident By Goldie Rapp grapp@bcrnews.com
PRINCETON — A Princeton woman has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident causing death, after allegedly striking another Princeton woman with her vehicle. Haylee Miller, 23, went before Bureau County Circuit Judge C.J. Hollerich on Tuesday, June 28, for the Class 1 felony, which if convicted, carries a prison sentence of anywhere between four to 15 years. Miller’s bond was set at $50,000 with 10 percent to apply. A public defender was also appointed to represent Miller. April Williams, 31, of Princeton was allegedly struck by the vehicle. She was transported to Perry Memorial Hospital, then LifeFlighted to OSF St. Francis Medical Center in Peoria, where she died from injuries sustained in the accident at 1:32 p.m. Monday, June 27. The Princeton Police Department is investigating the
accident. According to Bureau County State’s Attorney Geno Caffarini, the accident occurred on Route 6 near the Hillview Trailer Court at 11:15 p.m. Sunday, June 26. At approximately 3 p.m. the next day, Monday, June 27, Miller turned herself in to the Princeton Police, where she was placed under arrest. At Miller’s first appearance in court on Tuesday, Caffarini said there is an eyewitness to the accident. That eyewitness was heading westbound on Route 6, when the eyewitness observed Williams being struck by the vehicle. According to Peoria County Coroner Johnna Ingersoll, an autopsy was performed Tuesday, June 28, and it revealed Williams died of multiple blunt injuries due to being struck by a vehicle as a pedestrian. Toxicology results are pending. Miller’s next court appearance will be before the Bureau County grand jury at 2 p.m. July 15. Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.
BCR photo/Dave Cook
Feeling the ‘Pulse’ in Princeton A candlelight walk in memory of the victims of the Pulse nightclub shootings in Orlando, Fla., was led by members of the Open Prairie United Church of Christ on the evening of Monday, June 27. The walk began at Veterans Park in Princeton and traveled south on Main Street, around Soldiers and Sailors Park and back to the Open Prairie Church. Following the walk, a memorial service was held with speakers, songs and a reading of the names of the victims.
NEWSSTAND PRICE 75¢
Enough!
See our editorial on Page 24. Free meals nixed at Bureau Valley Pilot program didn’t pan out for the district By Goldie Rapp grapp@bcrnews.com
MANLIUS — Due to lack of support, Bureau Valley School District will discontinue the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) breakfast and lunch program. Beginning in August, the district will go back to the traditional meal plan where students will be responsible for the cost of meals at school. At the board’s regular meeting on Tuesday, June 28, the decision to discontinue the CEP program at the end of this fiscal year was unanimously approved by the board. Board member Don DeWaele said if the district would have gotten the participation it was hoping for, it would have worked out. “I still think it’s a great program … We could have put money in our pockets, but if the public doesn’t want it, then they don’t want it,” he said. The CEP program allows schools with high poverty rates to provide meals to students at no cost to families. As previously reported in the Bureau County Republican, a majority of all BV students had to take part in the meal program in order for it to be beneficial for both BV families and the district. The more students who ate meals at school, the more reimbursement monies for the district. The board agreed to do a trial run of the program during the months of April and May to see if more students would take advantage of the free meals. Board members, staff and administrators worked hard trying to promote the program to students to help increase the numbers. Before CEP was implemented, the number of breakfasts served to all BV students in February was 5,319 and the number of lunches served was 14,825. In March, 5,065 breakfasts were served, and 13,239 lunches were served. The numbers did decrease in March, possibly due to a week long spring break. When CEP began in April, the numbers grew to 10,183 breakfast and 16,337 lunches served. The numbers dwindled, however in May with only 8,331 breakfasts and 13,067 lunches served. At Tuesday’s meeting, BV Superintendent Steve Endress said if the district was to continue the program under the current numbers, it would spend upwards of $100,000 a year. That number includes the cost of extra food and other expenses that would be needed. Endress thanked the board and staff for the effort to try out the program before making his recommendation to discontinue the program at the end of the fiscal year. Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.
Food, fun and fireworks
Walnut Days Hometown Celebration kicks off Friday By Terri Simon tsimon@bcrnews.com
WALNUT — If you’re looking for that hometown feeling, mixed with plenty of entertainment, food and fun, you’ll want to head to Walnut for its annual Walnut Days Hometown Celebration. The three-day event begins Friday, July 1, and runs through Sunday, July 3. Year 170 No. 78 One Section - 24 Pages
© Bureau County Republican
Friday events There will be something for everyone at the popular Walnut Days Hometown Celebration, and the fun begins around noon on Friday. The food vendors open at 11 a.m., and there will be children’s games from noon to 2 p.m. by the playground. Bingo runs from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Senior Center on Main Street, and make sure you stay for dinner from 5 to 8 p.m. and enjoy the chamber’s chicken strips
and fish fry. “Miss Independence” will be crowned from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Bureau Valley North gym, and there will be a youth dance beginning at 6 p.m. At dusk, there will be an outdoor screening of a Walnut-produced film, “You Are Not Alone,” at Blue Raider Park. Live music by Road Angel is set in the beer garden from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Celebration Page 3