1 Front
Serving Bureau County Since 1847
Saturday, June 18, 2016
NEWSSTAND PRICE 75¢
Hall still kicking soccer around Board hears financial update By Becky Kramer news@bcrnews.com
SPRING VALLEY — Soccer is one kick closer to being a reality at Hall High School. At last month’s meeting, the Hall High School Board agreed to look into starting a soccer pro-
gram again. The issue was revisited at this month’s Hall Board meeting, held Wednesday, June 15. Assistant Principal Eric Bryant talked to DePue School concerning a cooperative agreement in regards to boys’ and girls’ soccer. The agreement was going to be
discussed at the DePue Board of Education meeting Wednesday, June 15. By adding Hall students, DePue would be able to have a junior varsity and varsity team. Soccer is expected to be on the agenda again at next month’s meeting. Hall Superintendent Mike Struna also updated the board on the current budget crisis during
Wednesday night’s meeting. Struna is projecting Hall will be $470,138 in the red by the end of July. “We’ll get through July by using our line of credit and be ready to go when school starts” Struna said. The district’s line of credit was obtained through Spring Valley City Bank to cover the July deficit. The money received from the line of credit will
not affect local taxes. The district is only borrowing the money until property tax money arrives at the end of July. With no state budget or state funding being released to school districts, Hall would be in the red again by December. Struna said Gov. Bruce Rauner held a press conference on Wednesday, June 15. Rauner still wants
$6,119 per student which would fully fund education. During the past few years schools only received a portion of the $6,119 that was promised. If Rauner’s bill passes, Hall would gain approximately $100,000 due to increased enrollment with no school in the state losing money under this plan.
Hall Board Page 3
Taking care of business at SVE Hermes reviews fund balances By Becky Kramer news@bcrnews.com
SPRING VALLEY — The Spring Valley Elementary (SVE) Board met in regular session Wednesday, June 15, and held a brief public hearing to approve the use of resealing the south blacktop and bus dropoff area using life safety money. The board approved spending between $6,000 to $8,000. In financial matters, SVE Superintendent Jim Hermes updated the board on the current and projected fund balances. The transportation fund will be the only area in the red in July. Hermes is projecting a $20,000 deficit in that fund. Ninety-seven percent of revenues have been received to date. State money is continuing to come in certain
areas. The concern is entering into the next fiscal year with no state budget. Hermes explained that SVE is in better shape than most area schools. Hermes is hoping to refinance bonds to get a better rate. Hermes said, “It my intention to get the best bang for the dollar.” Director of Curriculum Michelle Nauman said teachers will meet on Aug. 16 for professional development. Nauman discussed the professional development calendar for the upcoming school year and said, “It should be a great year.” Principal Kimberly Lisanby-Barber gave the principal’s report. The board received an update on the class sizes for the upcoming school year. The projected amount of students
SVE Page 4
Going home on LaMoille/Ohio sports Forristall: ‘Why would we change the contract? It’s signed and dry.’ By Zachary J. Pratt news@bcrnews.com
BCR photo/Amelia Bystry
More ... and More on 34 Treasures abound this weekend as the annual More on 34 massive garage sale continues through today, Saturday, June 18. Treasure-hunters will be able to find a plethora of items on this 100-mile-plus garage sale which follows Route 34 through Bureau County and beyond. Other activities like plenty of refreshments are also available.
Year 170 No. 73 One Section - 24 Pages
© Bureau County Republican
Applying for a business loan
doesn’t have to be complicated. Let us help you grow.
LAMOILLE — At the LaMoille Community Unit School District Board meeting, held Thursday, June 16, the board looked at a number of suggested changes to the intergovernmental agreement in regards to sports between the LaMoille and Ohio districts, but ultimately decided to leave the contract as is. One of the larger points of interest in these requests was the number of games Ohio would host.
Brent Ziegler explained the number of games Ohio hosts is based on the number of participants they, as the smaller school, have. In the list of suggested revisions to the intergovernmental agreement, Ohio requested, in the event of six players, to host three of the home games. There were a couple issues with accepting this request, as Ziegler noted. One was the logistics issue of splitting the games, especially with the split between conference and
Sports Page 4
Business Loans hbtbank.com