Issuu on Google+

drama &

theatre studies Drama & Theatre Studies- AS/A2

Exam Board: WJEC

How do performers, designers and directors communicate meaning to an audience? How do plays relate to their historical, social and cultural context? How can a play’s style, dramatic structure and use of characterisation be interpreted and realised in performance? How can you apply the ideas of theatrical practitioners to your own work?

Is Drama & Theatre Studies for you? You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English Language. You want to study a subject which has a balance of theory and practical work. You enjoy group work and have excellent attendance. You have a keen interest in Theatre and enjoy going to see performances.

You wish to broaden your knowledge and understanding of theatre and the way it operates. You enjoy working from written texts as well as improvising your own original work.


What will I learn? AS Year Performance Workshop You will work in a group to interpret an existing text as well as devising your own piece to perform. You will apply the ideas of two different practitioners to these performances. You can choose to act, design or offer a technical skill.

Text in Performance You will explore two set texts, looking particularly at character motivation and action, atmosphere and staging potential. In the exam you will write an essay about each text and you will also compare two productions that you have seen in the course of the year.

A2 Year Practical Performance and Evaluation You will work in a group to interpret an existing text as well as devising your own piece to perform. You will also produce a written evaluation of your performance under exam conditions.

Text in Context You will explore two set texts, looking particularly at structure, themes, historical context, dramatic theory and performance potential. You will also learn how to interpret unseen texts and comment upon design, stage movement, sound and lighting.

How will I be assessed? The AS year is assessed through a practical exam (worth 40% of your marks) and a written paper (worth the remaining 60%). In the A2 year the practical exam is worth 60% of the marks and the written exam is 40% of the marks.

Expect more from your sixth form Facebook.com/birkenheadsixthformcollege

@BSFC

What activities can I get involved in? You can take the opportunity to put your skills into practice by participating in one of the College’s student productions. This will involve rehearsal time during lunchtimes and after College. You will also have the chance to attend live professional performances throughout the year. The College has lots of exciting enrichment and C.V building opportunities including the chance to earn the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award, learn a new skill, learn a language, join a club, take up or develop a sport or take on a new challenge. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.

Where does it lead? Drama and Theatre Studies is not only for those who wish to pursue a career in the theatre. Through studying it you will develop personal skills such as self-confidence and the ability to work with others. The balance of practical skills and academic knowledge helps students to develop cross-curricular skills that include writing, speaking and the ability to analyse and organise information. Many students choose to go on to further study and move on to University. There are several combined degree courses which place Drama and Theatre Studies alongside subjects such as English or Media Studies, as well as specialised degrees in Drama, Theatre Studies and Acting. It is valued by universities as a subject connected to both the Arts and the Humanities.

tel: 0151 652 5575 email: enrol@bsfc.ac.uk

bsfc.ac.uk


Drama & theatre studies