Page 1

ISBN - 978-0-9569220-3-8


Cornwall 2011/12

Learning Disabilities Find the assistance you need

NHS Cornwall Information on your NHS

Your Community Hear from Social Care and the independent sector


Motability and accessible recreation

Elder Care

Home Care and Care Homes All you need to know!


Thanks to Motability I now my independenc to travel

Mrs Lockyer, Hampshire


Enable in Cornwall, Wheelchair Provision, Hearing Problems and Radar Keys.

Activity and Therapy Free Cinema for Carers, Maps for Local Attractions and so much More


Care choices have youHEALTH at a loss? Call on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 forAND more details CONSULTED BY THE AND CARE SECTOR - PROFESSIONALS, PROVIDERS AUTHORITIES

One of Cornwall’s Finest Nursing Homes Penhellis Nursing Home Cross Street, Helston TR13 8NQ 01326 565840 This beautiful building offer the highest standards of care with modern facilities to make your stay here as enjoyable as possible. Penhellis has all the comfort of your own home with the additional peace of mind of 24 hour nursing care. Our excellent staff are hand picked from the very best available. Set in stunning grounds, Penhellis has the peace and tranquility of a countryside setting yet has the convenience of

being situated a very short walk from the centre of the historic town of Helston. Steeped in history Penhellis house holds the honour of playing host to Helston’s famous annual “Flora Dance”. The dance makes its way through the house and gardens and provides a spectacular procession for our residents to enjoy.

Private and Social Services clients welcomed If you would like to arrange an appointment to view Penhellis please call 01326 565840




Services provided for residents:

Age group 50+ Respite for individuals Respite for couples Nursing Care Recuperative post hospital/illness care Palliative Care Suite available from April Monthly in-house GP clinic

Packages include:

Long term residency Weekend taster breaks Tailor made care breaks Working towards the Gold Standard Framework for Care Homes.


Nestling in the beautiful coastal village of Gwithian, the perfect Cornish Idyll, Glencoe offers everything prospective clients and families could wish for -peaceful, quiet surroundings, security, comfort and 24 hour nursing care. We have an unsurpassed reputation for care. Our highly qualified staff are hand picked to ensure quality is maintained at the highest level. Tracey our registered manager has been in position for 15 years and has a wealth of experience and qualifications. We welcome and look forward to your enquiries. Services Provided for Residents: -Age Group 50+ -Respite for individuals and couples -Nursing Care -Outstanding Pallative Care -Recuperative and Post hospital/illness care

Packages Include: -Long term residency -Weekend taster breaks -Tailor made care breaks -Working within the Gold Standard Framework for care homes

If you are interested in a viewing or a brochure, please call on 01736 752216 23 Churchtown Road, Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27 5BX


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Welcome... Bude

Listings in this publication are organised by areas

Welcome to RightCareIndex, we have attempted the enviable task as usual of collating useful information on health and social care for adults in a holistic fashion.


North Cornwall Central Cornwall West Cornwall

Launceston Camelford


Wadebridge Bodmin Liskeard

Newquay Perranporth


Lostwithiel St. Austell



Fowey St. Ives

Redruth Camborne


To contain this within one directory can prove to be quite a feat. We are therefore delighted to now have the web site with e books alongside our facebook page as a medium to further expand our capacity to provide and signpost information to the public and professionals alike.


St. Mawes


Editor’s letter



All information in this publication is available via...

We look upon these new social mediums as an excellent format to engage reflect and share, interaction and communication with all please feel free to share information with us we are keen to encourage partnerships with all.

Life is for living we aim to explore the many facets within this journey Development of the Index remains comprehensive and independent offering opportunities to voluntary and charitable organisations freely. Life is for living we aim to explore the many facets within this journey making information the key to turn the wheel on our onward journey. I hope you find this publication helpful, 01872 321 327 Please contact us with any enquiries about care services in Cornwall, or to obtain your FREE copy of RightCareIndex for Cornwall or other counties.

Christine Rowberry Editor, RightCareIndex 01872 321 327 All listings within the RightCareIndex for care homes and home care providers

RightCareIndex Details

are sourced from the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Neither Cornwall County Council or RightCareIndex can be held accountable for any errors, omissions or if a home varies from the facilities listed or in an advertisement.

© RightCareIndex 2011. All rights reserved for RightCareIndex titles. Reproduction of any part of this publication in any form is prohibited without prior permission from RightCareIndex. RightCareIndex has made every effort to ensure the information in this directory is accurate. The company cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. RightCareIndex does not endorse or support any institution listed. Published by: RightCareIndex, Unit 1 & 2, Mount Hawke Business Park, High Field Road, Truro, TR4 8DZ. Tel: 01872 321327. Editor: Christine Rowberry. Design and Production Manager: Sophie Norman and Mark Mitchell. Website Design: Martin Sanders. Web Development: Dan Mitchell. Advertising Manager: Derek Phillips. Senior Sales Executive: James Rowberry. Marketing: James Rowberry & Mark Mitchell. IT Manager and Listings: Robert Rowberry. Accounts Manager: Tracey Rowberry. Distribution Managers: Kate Scott. Images, unless otherwise stated, courtesy of Stock Exchange Distribution of this publication by any party does not constitute the support or recommendation of any of the products or services within the publication. RightCareIndex or any of its distributors can not be held responsible for any errors or omissions regarding listings in this publication. RightCareIndex can not be held responsible for the cost of phone calls made to phone numbers provided in this publication. Please be aware call charges may vary. Please contact your provider for pricing information.

Advertisements do not act as endorsement or recommendation by any of the afore mentioned parties. Information within the directory is correct at time of print (December 2011).

You can follow us on Facebook, and Twitter @RightCareIndex for latest news and information.


ISBN - 978-0-9569220-3-8


Cornwall 2011/12


Agos Acres, Greenbo Cornwall, TR4 8GF

Learning Disabilities

As a directory of care, it is the aim of RightCareIndex to assist the public in their search for care and to enhance and individualise their lifestyles. Comprehensive listings are included in this publication and our website together with helpful information from appropriate sources. Keep RightCareIndex Free! - Please mention us when contacting our advertisers.

Find the assistance you need

Live Life Care, formerl established providers o to delivering and maint the Truro, Carnon Dow

NHS Cornwall Information on your NHS

Your Community Hear from Social Care and the independent sector

“Committed to de

• Our experienced te


help with any requirem

Motability and accessible recreation

• Our services range fr


Thanks to Motability I now have my independence to travel

Elder Care

Home Care and Care Homes All you need to know!

Mrs Lockyer, Hampshire


Enable in Cornwall, Wheelchair Provision, Hearing Problems and Radar Keys.


maintaining a varied so

• Our aim is to put peo

utmost to accommoda

We welcome people with extremely flexible service friendly team a call to dis

Activity and Therapy Free Cinema for Carers, Maps for Local Attractions and so much More


Care choices have youHEALTH at a loss? Call on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 forAND more details CONSULTED BY THE AND CARE SECTOR - PROFESSIONALS, PROVIDERS AUTHORITIES

Live Life Care

06 12 22 36 45 46 48 49

with the Cornwall County Council Department of Adult

highest possible grading for quality of service. Home care Service Users to maintain their independence and maximise th

Your County Single Access Service - Out-Of-Hours Service - CPIC - SCIE - LGO - Personalisation Personal Budgets - Self Directed Support - Putting People First

Live-Life-Care.indd 1

NHS in Cornwall NHS Services in Cornwall - PALS - Out-of-Hours Services - Community Contacts Directory Continuing Healthcare - NHS Funded Nursing Care - Leaving Hospital - Chaplaincy Services Department of Health Initiatives - LINks

Care Homes Things to consider when choosing a care home - Leaving your Home - Is a care home right for you? Paying for Care - Care Home Listings for Cornwall

Care at Home Help at Home - Accessing Your Care and Support Needs - Assistive Technology - Telecare & Telehealth - Cinnamon Trust - Guide Dogs - Listings for providers in Cornwall - AskSARA

Nursing Agencies Different Types Nursing Agencies - Nursing Agencies in Cornwall

Carers Carers Assessment and Carers Grants - Help and Care - Carers Partnership Board Carers UK Advice Line - Useful Contacts

Legal Services Organising Your Affairs - Community Legal Advice - Mind’s Legal Advice Service

Meal Provision Eat Well, Live Well - Meal Providers Cornwall - Age Concern Eating opportunities


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

General sup

• Our range of home car includes:• Meal preparation. • Domestic tasks. • Shopping, Pensions, et • Medication service inc up prescriptions and a administrating or prom • Recuperative care - pe discharge from hospita • Transport to hospital, a doctors clinics etc • Night sitting or sleep s

Tel: 01872 561761 | livelife

Learning Disabilities Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust - BILD - Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities Valuing People - Safeplace Scheme - Choice - Aspergers & The Autism Act - LD Care Homes & Providers

Mental Health Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) - Inpatient Mental Health Services Complex Care and Dementia Services - Pentreath Ltd. - Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT) Cornwall Eating Disorders Service - Outlook South West - Rethink

Disabilities Enable in Cornwall  - Radar Keys - Wheelchair Provision - Hearing problems - Accessible Britain

Day Services and Respite Day Services - Respite Care - List of Day & Respite Centres in Cornwall

Advocacy The Advocacy Charter - Counsel + Care - Action For Advocacy - OPAAL Care Aware - FirstStop - List of Advocates in Cornwall

SafeGuarding Adults Contacts for Cornwall

Motability The Motability Scheme - Motability Dealerships in Cornwall - Choosing the Right Car for You Ricability - Car Share Scheme - Shopmobility - Road Tax Exemptions

Sheltered Housing Sheltered Schemes and Options - Sheltered Housing Providers Assisted Living Homes & Extra Care Housing in Cornwall - Cornwall Mobility Centre 

End of Life Cornwall Hospice Care

Activity and Therapy Royal Cornwall Museum - Accessible Britain - Free Cinema For Carers - Map of Local Attractions Surfer’s Against Sewage - RDA - Woodland Trust Woods - Alternative Therapists - Get Active Cornwall!

Information Adult Social Care Contacts - Hospital Contacts - Age UK - Citizens Advice Bureau Local and National Contacts - Further Information & Advice Publications

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

52 60 64 66 68 71 72 76 79 80 84

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Your Cornwall Adult Care and Support’s Access and Assessment Service: Referrals, Requests and Enquiries Tel: 0300 1234 131 Adult Care and Support (ACS) has a single, countywide Access Service that deals with all referrals, requests, and enquiries. The vast majority of these are currently received by telephone. A multi disciplinary team is there to help identify how enquiries can be resolved at the point of referral. This includes an initial stage of information gathering, and an assessment of needs and risk using the government’s Fair Access to Care Services eligibility criteria (see blue box to the right). In situations where referrals do not appear to meet eligibility (currently set at Critical and Substantial), the service will signpost to other communitybased services, including the voluntary and independent sectors. Once it is identified that a person requires a full assessment or onward referral to a specialist service or worker, the referral will be allocated to the appropriate fieldwork team working with older people, people with physical or learning disabilities, or sight/hearing loss. More information can be found in ACS leaflets ‘Assessing your needs’ and ‘Self-directing your support’ (see page 10). You may also like to request “Looking for Social Care in Cornwall”, which is for people who are not eligible for local authority services, or who wish to pay for their own services. Copies of any leaflets can be obtained by calling 0300 1234 131. Assessing Your Needs If you require a face-to-face assessment, someone from ACS may visit you, usually at home or in hospital.. When ACS does come out to meet with you and any family members or representatives you may wish to have present, they will discuss your situation, and work out with you what help would be appropriate. ACS again use the FACS eligibility criteria (see blue box to the right) to assess people wishing to receive services, so that support is focussed on those people in greatest need. Should I Ask For An Assessment? Adult Care and Support will assess your need for services if you are a carer, an older person, or an adult with:»» A physical disability, or a long term illness »» A sight or hearing loss »» A learning disability


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Fair Access to Care Services (FACS)

4 Bands: Critical, Substantial, Moderate, Low 5 Criteria: • Autonomy and freedom to make choices • Health and safety, including freedom from harm, abuse and neglect • The ability to manage personal and other daily routines • Involvement in family and wider community life • Carer’s circumstances You can ask a friend, relative or your GP to contact ACS on your behalf. If you are in hospital, the nursing staff can arrange for ACS to contact you, either during your stay in hospital, or on your return home. For further information on the support from Adult Care and Support, and the assessment process, please see page 10. © Crown Copyright

To contact the Adult Care and Support Access and Assessment Service call: 0300 1234 131

Out Of Hours Service, Adult Care & Support Tel: 01208 251300 The Out-of-Hours service is for: »» Older people »» People with physical disabilities or sight/hearing problems »» People with a learning disability »» People with a mental health problem »» Vulnerable children and families Non-urgent requests for services should always be referred to the appropriate local Adult Care and Support office during normal working hours, telephone 0300 1234 131. You can also find useful information about services on the Council’s website, and request help via the page called ‘On-line Forms for Adult Care and Support’.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

When is it available? Normal office hours are: Mon- Fri 8.00am - 8.00pm, Saturday 9.00am - 4.00pm The Out-of-Hours service is available: Weekdays from 5.15pm each evening until 8.45am the following morning. Weekends from 4.45pm on Friday until 8.45am the following Monday and all public holidays Who will help me? Adult Care and Support emergencies will be dealt with by 3 out-of-hours duty workers across the county. Mental Health emergencies will be dealt with by the 24 hour Crisis Resolution Service. Children and Young People under 18 years emergencies will be dealt with by Children’s Service specialist officers. Anyone phoning the emergency number will be asked for their telephone number, location and which specialist out of hours service they think they need. The operator will then pass the call to the appropriate specialist worker for the area. If there is uncertainty about which specialist worker is required, one of the team will make contact and discuss the problem. Wrongly directed calls, e.g. Health, Social Security or Housing, will be referred back to the organisation best able to help. Emergency needs relating to Social Care will be fully assessed in partnership with other agencies, where appropriate.

Your Cornwall

The Out-of-Hours team can only deal with the urgent needs of people requiring adult care and support services. Health emergencies, for example, will be dealt with by the medical services, and housing problems by Cornwall Council.

Cornwall Partners In Over the past year, representatives of Cornwall Partners in Care (CPIC) have succeeded in gaining several long term negotiating platforms with Cornwall Council through the Department of Adult Care and Support (DACS). This has been achieved because of the tireless efforts of members of the CPIC Committee in their efforts to represent the independent sector. As a result, there are now on-going discussions between DACS and CPIC representatives on capacity issues, fee structures and electronic monitoring of domiciliary care visits. These are the first examples of real co-operative talks between DACS and the independent sector for some time and it is extremely encouraging that they are developing because the next twelve months will be a particularly critical period in the development of new services and methods of delivery. We are on the brink of a technological revolution in care provision whether it is residential or domiciliary in nature. It is essential that the Council recognises the contribution that the independent sector can make in this field. We are also about to enter into a period of development as far as the procurement of care is concerned as, after many years of talking about it, the Local Authority and the PCTs start to form a joint procurement process. It is essential that the independent sector is represented in the development of joint procurement so that there can be a smooth transition when the process is finally implemented. Cornwall Partners in Care is dedicated to the improvement of the relationship between the independent providers and the Local Authority and PCT in order to continue to improve the standard of care that people receive in the County of Cornwall.

©Crown Copyright

To contact the Cornwall Council Social Care Out-of-Hours Service line, call: 01208 251300

Cornwall Council has 22 One Stop Shops located throughout the county, - from which a range of services may be accessed. Including Housing, Benefits, Council Tax, Business rates, Refuse and recycling. In any One Stop Shop you can get help to fill in forms, hand in documents and speak to a council specialist either in person or by phone.

Please turn to page 80 for a full list of addresses.

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

R P Hasbrig-Hartley, Chair, Cornwall Partners in Care

Progress Report on new Personal Budgets & Roll Out Plan From April 2011 Personal Budgets will be allocated to all current people living in the community who receive services from Adult Care and Support. Those individuals who currently receive a Direct Payment, will also transfer to a personal budget which will enable greater flexibility. Personal Budgets will provide greater control and will be based on their level of need. For more information on personal budgets, see page 10 ‘Self-directing your support’. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


STEPS in the right direction Transforming the internal homecare service from a generic domiciliary care service, caring for people with long-term support needs, to a Short-Term Enablement and Planning Service (STEPS) is one of the major initiatives currently taking place within adult care and support. The new approach involves supporting people intensively in their first few weeks of care, usually for up to six weeks. This helps them recover more quickly from illness and regain their independence as far as possible, to prevent or minimise the need for further ongoing care. We work in partnership with others to minimise the amount of time people have to stay in hospital, or prevent them from being admitted in the first place. A pilot scheme began in Caradon in June 2010 and has resulted in significantly improved outcomes for people coming through the service. The aim is to return the person to full independence where this is possible, by following agreed person-centred plans, making best use of available equipment and using assistive technology. To date, as STEPS has been evolving, 58% of people have no longer required ongoing care as a result of this intervention. We are now rolling out the service across the county and it will be live in all areas from 5 February. Transferring our existing long-term cases to other forms of provision is a work in progress; to date, 80% complete. Some have taken up a personal budget and arranged their own personal assistants, others have changed to an alternative provider with the Council still commissioning these packages for them. It hasn’t been easy, as many of these people have been with the service for many years, but with careful planning and good communication, people are still having their needs met in the best way for them. There are benefits for staff too, around working to a new shift pattern, which means they have an improved work/life balance. The satisfaction of seeing people progress to becoming independent again improves staff morale – knowing they are making a difference – this is, of course, offset against the sadness in seeing long-standing service users move on to other services. There are also financial benefits to be realised in this change in service provision. If 58% of people do not need ongoing support and 7% have a reduced service requirement, then fewer people will need funded support. Supporting people in their own home also saves on residential and nursing care costs. Encouraging people to live independently in their own homes is one of the key aims of the directorate. We have some further work to do to ensure that the outcomes of this service are meeting individuals’ needs and that we are making a difference to the amount of time someone has to wait to be discharged from hospital. We aim to provide urgent support when it is needed, where it is needed and in a way that meets the person’s needs. As the service rolls out we will be measuring ourselves against set targets to ensure we achieve this.

For more information about the homecare service, see or contact Gina Pearson via email: or call: 01872 322 389.

Gina Pearson, Jan 2011 Kevren 397 (Cornwall Council) ©Crown Copyright


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Customer satisfaction results, and comments received from people who have been through the new STEPS service, have confirmed how beneficial this can be:

• • • • •

‘The difference in Mum’s physical health has been remarkable.’ ‘It is a great system for people just out of hospital, short term; long may it be kept in place.’ ‘After a year in hospital my walking is poor, but it has improved tremendously in the last six weeks.’ ‘The support it provided gave me the time to settle into my new circumstances and return to a normal life.’ ‘My husband has dementia…the carers got to understand him, were lovely and made him feel at ease. They were a great help and did all the necessary things for him, as a result I can now cope with him myself.’

Full results of the satisfaction survey can be found at

Putting People First Putting People First (PPF) is a national programme to improve people’s experience of adult social care. Launched in 2007, PPF is a commitment to make sure anyone who needs care and support can exercise choice and control to live their lives as they want. PPF puts people at the heart of the decision-making process. It enables them to identify their needs and make choices about their support. It’s all about delivering high quality services tailored to individuals’ wishes, and ensuring better health and well being for everyone, including families and carers. The four key components The Putting People First initiative is made up of four key components. These are: »» Universal services: ensuring that anyone requires care and support can find the services they need in their community »» Preventative services: helping people to maintain their health and well being for longer »» Choice and control: giving people as much control as they want over decisions which affect their care »» Building social capital: recognising that individuals can receive care and support from their friends, families neighbours and community groups These four interdependent themes need to be in place to support the transformation of social care in England. PPF proposes that all local authorities move to a system of Personal Budgets for anyone who is eligible for support. Through this system, PPF aims to help individuals create bespoke care services, enabling them to receive care and support at the right time. It also seeks to reduce the pressure on local authorities by investing money in prevention, rather than offering care when people’s needs are highest. Delivered by partners from central and local government and across the sector, PPF is a unique programme whose ultimate goal is the transformation of adult social care. It will enable close collaboration between the professional leadership, providers, regulators and service users. Together, these key stakeholders will work to ensure better health and wellbeing for all individuals, families and carers who require help and support. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Across Government, the shared ambition is to put people first through a radical reform of public services. It will mean that people are able to live their own lives as they wish; confident that services are of high quality, are safe and promote their own individual needs for independence, well-being, and dignity. This holistic approach is set out in ‘Putting people first: a shared vision and commitment to the transformation of adult social care’, the ministerial concordat launched on 10 December 2007. Personalisation of social care services Personalisation, including a strategic shift towards early intervention and prevention, will be the cornerstone of public services. This means that every person who receives support, whether provided by statutory services or funded by themselves, will have choice and control over the shape of that support in all care settings. The work on direct payments and individual budgets, alongside that of In Control, are crucial to delivering greater personalisation, choice and improved quality. They are not separate initiatives or fleeting experiments, but fundamental components of a future social care system SocialCare/Socialcarereform/Personalisation/index.htm

Personal budgets to be introduced Source : Press Association Published on 16 November 2010 03:00 PM

Around a million older and disabled people will be put in charge of their own social care, it has been revealed. Care Services Minister Paul Burstow revealed that it is hoped ‘personal budgets’ will become a reality for everyone entitled to support by 2013. Under the changes, the recipients of the money will be given the power to choose how to spend it. People will receive anything from a few hundred pounds up to tens of thousands when the plans come into effect. Even though the idea was first mooted in 1996, only a quarter of the one million eligible people currently have personalised budgets. Mr Burstow, a Liberal Democrat, said the move supported the coalition Government’s vision of ‘the Big Society’:

Your Cornwall


but even then their needs must be kept under constant review. Appropriate levels of support must also be provided to help older people to make decisions and manage their care effectively.’ Age UK is also concerned that more vulnerable older people may be put at risk. Michelle Mitchell, Charity Director of Age UK, commented: ‘We are also concerned about the light touch approach to safeguarding reflected in the paper. Greater personalisation of care and direct cash payments bring greater risks in terms of safeguarding older people from abuse and we are not convinced by the approach taken in the report.


£400 million for carers to take breaks Mr Burstow also announced that the Government was to spend £400 million over the next four years to pay for carers to take breaks - a key Lib Dem manifesto pledge.


Michelle Mitchell, Charity Director of Age UK, said: ‘’We greatly welcome the increased budget available for respite care. Carers often make great personal and financial sacrifices to care for their loved ones and as a result save the economy an estimated £87 billion a year. ‘No matter how much someone loves the person they are caring for, it can be a physically and emotionally draining round the clock task. Having improved access to respite care would help ensure that carers are able to carry on caring for the long term.’ Issue of long-term funding yet to be resolved The entitlement to personal budgets was set out in the Government’s proposal, ‘A Vision for Adult Social Care’, published today (16 Nov 2010).

Fr • •

The document does not address the highly contentious issue of long-term funding, however, which is subject to an independent commission review expected to report next summer. The head of the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services said the long-term funding situation needed ‘resolution’. ‘We feel that we need a resolution to the long-term position, because everyone agrees that the present system is not sustainable,’ Richard Jones said. He added that the current system was increasingly becoming a ‘safety net’ for those with the greatest needs. ‘We need to find a way of levering more resource into the care and support system given the demographics and the challenges we are aware of.’


© Copyright Press Association, 2010

‘Personal budgets can make an incredible difference to people’s lives. They give people choice, control and independence,’

‘They look to people, not the state, to shape services, and improve outcomes, making a reality of the Big Society. I want councils to provide everyone eligible with a personal budget by 2013.’

La • •

Michelle Mitchell, Charity Director of Age UK, said: ‘The personalisation of care budgets is a welcome step forward in allowing greater choice to those older people able to manage their own care.’ ‘However, the heavy emphasis in the report on moving people onto receiving direct cash payments to pay for care concerns us as many older people have said that they don’t necessarily want to have to become employers of their carers or to have to shop around for provision.’ Our concerns Michelle Mitchell continued: ‘Many older people begin to need care following a major health crisis such as a stroke and then need to be on a managed care pathway towards reablement. Only after their needs have stabilised would it be appropriate for a personal budget to be considered,

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

w on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Self Directing Your Support Leaflet This is a leafet provided by Cornwall Council in an easy read format. To get your copy go to: www.cornwall. and download the pdf or call 0300 1234 131 to request a hard copy.

Self dir ec your su ting pport A

guide to person al budg ets fo

Easy re ad

July 20 10


Self directing your support In Adult Care and Support, we are bringing in a new way to support people. It will give you more choice and control over the support you get. If your assessment from Adult Care and Support shows that you need support, we will give you a personal budget. A personal budget is money we give you. You can use it to organise and buy your own care and support. By having the money to organise things for yourself, you can choose: »» When and how you get support »» And who will provide it. You are in charge of your personal budget. You can choose how to use it - because you know best. But remember, Adult Care and Support can still organise services for you if you prefer.

visit from another worker. They will look at what money you have coming in and out. They will tell you if you need to pay something towards your support. They use rules from the Department of Health to work this out. Adult Care and Support will then tell you how much money you are likely to have to buy your care and support. This is called your indicative budget.

Planning your support Your next step will be to write a support plan. This will show: »» What support you want to buy with your indicative budget »» How the support will meet your needs »» Who will provide your support We will make it as easy as possible for you. You can write the plan yourself, or with help from your family and friends (your ‘circle of support’). If you need help you can contact: Age Concern Cornwall 01872 266 388 Disability Cornwall 01736 759 500 Get a Plan in Cornwall 07528 766 320 Or Adult Care and Support can help. 0300 1234 131

2. Getting support

Getting support If you are new to Adult Care and Support and need support, contact our Access Team on 0300 1234 131.

G .2

You cannot use your budget for: »» Everyday expenses like food or rent »» Equipment that the NHS can provide »» Anything which is against the law Once you are happy with your support plan, we will need to agree this with you. And then we will tell you the final amount of money you will get for your care and support. We call this your personal budget.

If you are new to Adult Care and Support and need support, contact Managing your personal our Access Team on budget 0300 1234 131. We will ask you some questions to find out if you are eligible for support.

We will ask you some questions to find out if you are eligible for support. If you are not eligible for support, we will signpost you to other organisations

who could help, or you can get advice from Disability Cornwall, or Age Concern Cornwall.

Here are some examples of what people use their budgets for: »» Employing a personal assistant »» Practical help at home or in the community »» Joining a local club or sports group »» Buying a piece of equipment »» And you can come up with ideas of your own!

- your choices There are several ways to manage your personal budget: »» You can have a direct cash payment to arrange and buy your own support. But you will need to set up a separate bank account. »» Or you can ask us to look after your personal budget, and we will arrange and pay for support on your behalf. »» Or you can choose a mixture of both. You can choose whatever suits you best.

Help with employing a personal assistant

If you are not eligible for support, you can get advice from Disability Cornwall, Age Concern Cornwall or other people who could help. Contact details are on page 8.

If you are eligible, we will ask a trained worker to visit you at home. The worker will talk with you about your needs and how these can be met. This is called a community care assessment. The worker will listen carefully to what you say. They will decide if your needs are critical, substantial, moderate or low.

If you have a direct cash payment, you can use it to employ a personal assistant. Remember, this will mean you have the responsibility of becoming an employer. But don’t let that put you off! Disability Cornwall and Age Concern Cornwall can give you lots of help, information and practical support. They can also put you in touch with people who use personal budgets. Age Concern Cornwall 01872 266 388 Disability Cornwall 01736 759500 Direct Payments Service 01872 324357 or email:

Reviews a uoy fI roppuS ccA ruoCare choices have you at a loss? Call If you are eligible, we will ask a on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details 10 trained worker to visit you at home. At the moment we can only fund people who have critical or substantial needs.

If your needs are found to be critical or substantial, you will have a

- making sure things are going well 6-8 weeks after your support has started, your worker will check with you that everything is going well. This is called a review. At the review, you will also need to show us how you have used your budget to meet your care needs. We will

Your Cornwall



do a review every year. But you can ask for a review at any time if you need to change your support. Just contact the Access Service on 0300 1234 131.

Personal budgets started in summer 2010 Since the summer of 2010, anyone who is: aged 18-65 and new to Adult Care and Support has received a personal budget. Later in 2010 anyone who is: aged 65+ and new to Adult Care and Support has also received one. From April 2011, everyone who gets social care support will get a personal budget, following their review.

Fro • a • w S wi

More information about personal budgets These organisations can give you more information about personal budgets Cornwall Council Disability Cornwall Age Concern Cornwall

0300 1234 131 01736 759 500 01872 266 388

Community Access Teams (CATs) What do CATs do? »» »» »» »» »» »» »» »» »» »»

o-ordinated approach to admissions avoidance C Liaison with other community services to prevent avoidable admissions Increasing care at home temporarily using the RATs team Involving Emergency Care Practitioners of the ambulance service “Spot purchase” of nursing or residential home bed for up to 7 days Managing day beds, assessment beds and terminal care beds in community hospitals Arrange blood transfusions as day cases in community hospitals Arranging rehabilitation for up to 6 weeks in residential home bed Co-ordinating referrals to falls clinics Supporting discharge from acute beds

Open Mon - Fri 9am - 6.30pm Sat & Sun 9am - 5pm

La • a • w S wi

their phones are usually engaged. Try the relevant team number first (below). If unsuccessful, ask Bodmin switchboard (01208 25 1300) to bleep the relevant team. If all this fails try the referrals hotline which is in Bodmin CATs team office: 01208 79076. Kerrier & Penwith (Camborne Redruth, Helston, Poltair, & Edward Hain community hospitals) Tel: 01209 88 1627 Restormel & Carrick (St. Austell, Newquay, Fowey & Falmouth community hospitals) Tel: 01726 29 1137 Caradon (Liskeard & St. Barnabas Hospitals) Tel: 01579 33 521 North Cornwall (Bodmin, Launceston, & Stratton Community hospitals) Tel: 01208 25 6296 or 6238 CATs co-ordinator in Royal Cornwall Hospital 01872 25 3869 or bleep on *82287

Fro ge Pe re

Contact Bleep via Bodmin switchboard

01208 25 1300

They tend to spend their time on the phone co-ordinating care, so

Local Government Ombudsman From October 2010 the Local Government Ombudsman can consider complaints from people who arrange and fund their own adult social care. This is in addition to complaints about care arranged and funded by local authorities, which the LGO has dealt with for more than 35 years. The LGO’s new role includes those who ‘self-fund’ from their own resources or have a personalised budget. It will ensure that everyone has access to the same independent Ombudsman service regardless of how the care service is funded. In most cases we will only consider a complaint once the care provider has been given a reasonable opportunity to deal with the situation. It is a free service. Our job is to investigate complaints in a fair and independent way. We do not take sides and do not champion complaints. We are independent of politicians, local authorities, government departments, advocacy and campaigning groups, the care industry, and the Care Quality Commission. We are not a regulator and do not inspect care providers.

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

The LGO and the Care Quality Commission We are fully independent of the Care Quality Commission (CQC). We deal with individual injustices that people have suffered and CQC will refer all such complaints to us. CQC deals with complaints about registered services as a whole and does not consider individual matters. We can share information with CQC but only when we feel it is appropriate. CQC will redirect individual complaints to us, and we will inform CQC about outcomes that point at regulatory failures.

Advice Line: 0300 061 0614 |

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Cornwall Air Ambulance The air ambulance is free at the point of emergency need, and is there to benefit children and adults who are unfortunate enough to need very fast and smooth emergency transport to hospital because of the severity of their condition. The helicopter covers all areas of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, and is able to land at a variety of locations, including beaches, moorland, on roads and community playing fields, in order to air lift a patient to hospital. The Cornwall Air Ambulance is not government funded, nor does it qualify for National Lottery Funding. It is purely down to the goodwill of the people of Cornwall who have kept the helicopter flying for 25 years.

Your help in securing the future of the Cornwall Air Ambulance is important to us, so if you would like to make a donation, fund a mission, organise a fundraising event, book a talk, get your company involved, join our volunteer team, include the charity in your will, or donate household and clothing items to our charity shops, all the information you need is available within our website: or call Charity Headquarters on 01726 890444.

During that time the crews have attended thousands of incidents. Sadly almost half the incidents are to life threatening medical conditions, but the air ambulance also gets called out to horse riding and other sports injuries, industrial and farm accidents, fires and medical emergencies, and trauma arising from road traffic collisions. The helicopter, an EC135-T2, always flies with a crew of three which includes the pilot and two paramedics, seconded from the South West Ambulance Service Trust. The charity, through your generosity and fundraising, aims to equip Cornwall’s air ambulance with up to the minute technology and life saving equipment, as well as meet the annual flying costs of this life changing and life saving helicopter.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


NHS in Cornwall

MIU 19

NHS in Cornwall






13 MIU

Your nearest NHS Hospitals



(PCH) Peninsula Community Health






Accident & Emergency


Minor Injury Units


Head Quarters

4 Penzance









St. Ives


St. Mary’s






St. Austell

10 A&E

Liskeard MIU 18




17 MIU










6 Redruth



13 MIU








(not to scale)

St. Mawes








Isle of Scilly


6 Redruth MIU 19



Truro 10 A&EBoscastle


St. Ives





Private Hospitals


St. Austell

(RCHT) Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust (CFT) Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust


St. Mawes Falmouth




Bodmin Community Hospital


Bodmin Hospital


St. Austell Community Hospital


Fowey Community Hospital


St. Barnabus Community Hospital


Poltair Community Hospital


Camborne & Redruth Community Hospital


Liskeard Community Hospital


West Cornwall Hospital (Penzance)


Helston Community Hospital


Launceston Community Hospital


Stennack Surgery, St. Ives


Falmouth Community Hospital


Stratton Community Hospital


Edward Hain Community Hospital


Royal Cornwall Hospital


St. Mary’s Community Hospital


St. Micheal’s Hospital


Capio Duchy Hospital


Longreach House


Newquay Community Hospital

(in the Isles of Scilly)

There are many hospitals in Cornwall, of which several are community hospitals. These provide services such as Minor Injury Units and out-patient care but are not usually 24 hours or include an Accident and Emergency department. Please check the map for MIU and A&E hospitals and opening hours before setting off. See page 85 for all hospital contacts.

What are NHS foundation trusts? NHS foundation trusts are not-for-profit, public benefit corporations. They are part of the NHS and provide over half of all NHS hospital and mental health services. NHS foundation trusts are a result of the Government’s drive to devolve decision making from central to local organisations and communities. They provide and develop healthcare according to core NHS principles - free care, based on need and not ability to pay. What makes NHS foundation trusts different from NHS trusts? »» they are not directed by Government so have greater freedom to decide their own strategy and the way services are run; »» they can retain their surpluses and borrow to invest in new


and improved services for patients and service users; and they are accountable to their local communities through their members and governors, their commissioners through contracts, Parliament and to Monitor as their regulator.

NHS foundation trusts can be more responsive to the needs and wishes of their local communities – anyone who lives in the area, works for a foundation trust, or has been a patient or service user there, can become a member of the trust. These members elect the board of governors.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) PALS is an accessible and confidential service for patients, relatives and carers. PALS acts independently when handling patient and family concerns, liaising with staff, managers and, where appropriate, relevant organisations to negotiate immediate or prompt solutions. If necessary we can refer patients and families to specific local or national-based support agencies. What will PALS do? PALS will help you if you: »» are unhappy with your hospital, GP or community services and need help to negotiate a solution; »» need advice, have concerns and suggestions but are unsure who to speak to; »» need to identify a problem; »» need to explore various options for sorting the problem out, including use of the formal complaints procedure; »» provide information and where necessary liaise with other staff and services on your behalf; »» would like to be put in touch with voluntary support, advocacy services or need information on other NHS services; »» feel the Trust could learn from your experiences of using its services. PALS will not: »» investigate complaints; »» deal with a problem that is currently being investigated under the NHS Complaints Procedure; »» pursue a concern that has already exhausted the NHS Complaints Procedure. PALS aims to: »» offer advice and support to patients »» provide information on NHS services »» listen and respond to queries »» help sort out problems on your behalf If you have been unable to resolve a problem by speaking with the healthcare

PALS Contacts in Cornwall Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Community Health Services, Helston Community Hospital, Meneage Street, Helston, TR13 8DR

Tel: 01326 435885

Peninsula Community Health, PALS Office, Sedgemoor Centre, Priory Road, St Austell, Cornwall, PL25 5AS

Tel: 01726 627967

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Porthpean Road, St Austell, PL26 6AD

Tel: 01726 29 1109

Royal Cornwall Hospital, Gloweth, Truro, TR1 3LJ Tel: 01872 252793

staff directly involved, PALS can help you with your questions and concerns. What action will be taken? PALS can informally investigate issues you raise with us. We will ensure the matter is brought before the senior managers of the area concerned. We will contact you with an explanation of what has happened and let you know what has been done to rectify matters for the future. Who do I contact? In each trust and PCT there is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) providing on-the-spot help and information about health services. PALS is an NHS managed service designed to deal with queries and concerns quickly and to enable change within organisations based on the needs and experiences of patients, carers and the public. When raising a concern in the first instance talk to the staff involved who are providing the care e.g. ward nurse, receptionist, GP, matron or manager. In many cases problems and concerns can be sorted out locally straight away. If necesary and you wish to speak to anyone not involved with your care you can contact either the PALs officer or the Customer Care Manager.

Web Portals What is a web portal? Many local authorities currently have information about services and providers in their area. A ‘web portal’ is a single, central access point the Council would provide to find out about and compare a wide range of services in the region. Why do we need one? To give everyone who uses our services as much choice and control as possible, they will receive a personal budget to spend. This means they decide on the care package that suits them best, and can purchase the services. What sort of information will I find on the portal? The information would be wide-ranging and could include pooled information from existing sources, such as health services, commercial and third sector providers, details of care homes, details of independent agencies and voluntary organisations, clubs, support groups plus many more. . What if I don’t have a computer? We appreciate that not everyone is online. However, the power of a web portal is that it can be accessed very widely, and will be the central resource that staff use as well. So, friends, relatives, neighbours, ‘village agents’, voluntary agencies, brokers, Citizens Advice Bureaux, libraries, Council one stop shops, providers and the Access Team (our contact centre for referrals) will all have access to the same information. What if I am not eligible for a personal budget? The web portal will be a central place for anyone to use, and will have lots of advice and information, links to voluntary groups and events, and services that people might like to purchase, even if they do not qualify for support from Adult Care and Support towards the cost of their care. ©Crown Copyright

Text: 07800 006479


on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

NHS in Cornwall

Peninsula Community Health Tel: 01726 291000 Headquarters, Porthpean Road, St Austell, PL26 6AD Customer Support Team: 01726 291109 Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) is the principle provider of mental health and learning disability services to people living in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. In 2011 our portfolio of services expanded to include the physical health and wellbeing of children and young people. We are a specialist NHS Trust that offers: »» Community Mental Health Services »» Inpatient Mental Health Services »» Complex Care and Dementia Services »» Children and Young People’s Services »» Learning Disability Services

Tel: 0845 170 8000 Sedgemoor Centre, Priory Road, St Austell, PL25 5AS NHS Cornwall and Isles of Scilly is the primary care trust for the county of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Our job is to buy health and social care services for everyone that lives in the county and islands. To do this properly it’s important that we find out what local people need from the NHS and buy services in response to that need. We also have to make sure that we are following national priorities for health care and ensure that providers of health services are meeting important national targets.

These services include; alcohol and drug services and an eating disorders service to both adults and children.

Providers of health services include GPs, pharmacists, optometrists, dentists, hospitals and mental health services. We also buy some social care, sometimes jointly with Cornwall Council. ©Crown Copyright

The Trust was approved as a Foundation Trust on 1 March 2010 by Monitor; the governing body of all NHS Foundation Trusts. The Foundation Trust supersedes the Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust which was established on 1 April 2002. As a Foundation Trust we work more closely with the people we serve and must have members. Our members have the right to have a say in the way the Trust is run. Membership is free and open to anyone over the age of 14. We employ nearly 1,900 people, and with an annual budget in the region of £75 million the Trust is one of the largest local employers. The Trust values feedback from the people who use its services, their family and carers. To comment on, compliment or raise a concern about the services we provide please contact our Customer Support Team. ©Crown Copyright

Out of Hours Mental Health & Social Care Support for Adults Tel: 01208 251300 The Out-of-Hours service is for: • older people • people with physical disabilities or sight/hearing problems • people with a learning disability • people with a mental health problem • vulnerable children and families The Out of Hours service is available: Weekdays - from 5.15pm - 8.45am Weekends - from 4.45pm Fri - 8.45am Monday and all public holidays

The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust

Tel: 01872 250000 Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LJ The Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is the principal provider of acute care services in the county of Cornwall. It serves a population of around 450,000 people, a figure often doubled by holidaymakers during the busiest times of the year. The Trust employs approximately 5,200 staff and currently has a budget of approximately £290 million. The Trust is responsible for the provision of services at three sites (comprising approximately 750 beds): »» Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske, Truro »» West Cornwall Hospital, Penzance »» St Michael’s Hospital, Hayle. The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the Peninsula Medical School. Keeping at the forefront medical advances, the Trust has led developments in many clinical areas, and is committed to maximising the range of specialist care that can be offered locally. The opening of the Knowledge Spa on the Royal Cornwall Hospital site has further enhanced a strong reputation for training and education. This plays a vital part in attracting and retaining the Trust’s highly skilled teams of doctors, nurses and other health professionals who care for well over half a million patients each year. Reflecting the high standards of care on offer, recent patient surveys have shown that 93 per cent of patients rated their overall experience of the services as excellent, very good or good. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


NHS Continuing Healthcare Continuing Care is described by the Department of Health in its National Framework as: “Care provided over an extended period of time to a person aged 18 or over to meet physical or mental health needs which have arisen as the result of disability, accident or illness” If you need continuing care, your care needs will be complex, substantial and ongoing, caused by a disability or chronic illness, or following hospital treatment. Continuing care is also commonly known as long-term care.

What Is NHS Continuing Healthcare? A package of services which is arranged and funded by the NHS for people outside hospital with ongoing health needs. An assessment is carried out to determine eligibility. Your primary health need will be assessed by looking at all of your care needs and relate them to four key indicators: »» nature - the type of condition or treatment required and its quality and quantity. »» complexity - symptoms that interact, making them difficult to manage or control. »» intensity - one or more needs which are so severe that they require regular interventions. »» unpredictability - unexpected changes in condition that are difficult to manage and present a risk to you or others.

Who Can Apply? Persons over 18 may apply for funding to meet physical or mental health needs that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness. Your needs will be assessed by a multidisciplinary team who will review your needs against twelve areas of care known as domains.

How To Apply? For current and ongoing funding you can request an assessment through your GP or District Nurse. Assessments for eligibility are also carried out by the multidisciplinary team on the ward or in a care home. Alternatively you can apply in writing for reimbursement for past payments

(retrospective applications) or current funding, to the Head of Continuing Healthcare based at Discovery Court Business Centre in Poole. You will be sent an application and consent form to complete and return. The assessment for eligibility will be made and a decision sent to you in writing. ©Crown Copyright

NHS Funded Nursing Care NHS funded nursing care is a contribution towards your registered nursing care made by your Primary Care Trust. You should received NHS funded nursing care if: »» You have been assessed as requiring the services of a registered nurse »» You do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare (i.e. nursing and accommodation costs) but have been assessed as requiring the services of a registered nurse »» You are not receiving registered nursing care in any other way (e.g. directly from your primary care trust). Applying for Continuing Healthcare or NHS Funded Nursing Care in Cornwall If you feel you may be eligible for either Continuing Healthcare or NHS Funded Nursing Care and you are registered with a GP in the NHS Cornwall boundary, then you will need to contact the NHS Funded Continuing Healthcare Department, the details are below. Mrs Jenny Bladon, Residential Charging Team, Social Services Department, Unit 2 Riverside House, Heron Way, Newham, Truro, Cornwall TR1 2XN Tel: 01872 327171 | Fax: 01872 327172 Email:

New support for people discharged from hospital Around 35,000 patients will be supported back into their homes after a stay in hospital by new funding for the early introduction of ‘re-ablement’ support. The re-ablement packages will give people who are leaving hospital support for six weeks to help them settle back into their homes and prevent them from having to be re-admitted to hospital. By reducing the number of emergency re-admissions, money can be saved in the health and social care system. Re-ablement aims to ensure that people in greatest need are provided with care to help keep them independent and well for as long as possible – care might include such elements as changing the home environment so people can get around more easily or providing daily visits and support. Some £70 million of extra funding will be allocated to Primary Care Trusts to spend on re-ablement this financial year across the health and social care system, and PCTs will work closely with hospitals and local authorities to deliver this. It will enable local areas to help thousands of people and ensure services are in place by the time the NHS takes up its new responsibilities in April 2011 for patients’ first 30 days at home after hospital discharge.


The Government wants the NHS, councils and local voluntary organisations to work together to ensure that local people get a seamless service after discharge from hospital. ‘This new funding will mean people will benefit right now and around 35,000 will start to get the help and support they need.’ Health Secretary, Andrew Lansley Emergency re-admissions increased by 50 per cent between 1998 and 2008, and Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said: ‘Too often, patients end up back in hospital because they haven’t had help readjusting to life at home. We need to do more to prevent this from happening. ‘Re-ablement will give opportunities for the NHS and councils, by working together locally, to make savings. Services of this kind have shown dramatic benefits in supporting people and cutting readmission to hospital. Our objective is for people to be once again independent, in their own homes. ‘This new funding will mean people will benefit right now and around 35,000 will start to get the help and support they need.’ The additional funding for re-ablement has come from savings from central Department of Health budgets. ©Crown Copyright, Department of Health, 14 Oct 2010

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

NHS in Cornwall

Extra help at home when you leave hospital After a stay in hospital you may require extra help when you go home, especially if you live on your own. The following are options available to you and your carer. On discharge, hospital staff will arrange for a discussion with Adult Care and Support about what care you require at home. This is called an ‘assessment’. You may have your carer, a relative, or a friend to support you during the assessment, if you wish. See page 6 for more detailed information about Adult Care and Support assessments.

What help is available when I leave hospital? Following assessment, a range of services are available to you. To find out more, you can contact your nearest Adult Care and Support office. The person who carries out your assessment will also give you more information about services to suit your particular circumstances.

Promoting independence If you no longer need hospital care, but you are anxious about how you will cope at home, Adult Care and Support and the NHS in Cornwall have devised a range of schemes across the county. These include help from: »» therapists in the community, »» trained care workers who can assist you with managing daily living tasks, »» or, short term residential care for people leaving hospital, who do not feel confident about returning home straightaway, and would like more rehabilitation. Your assessor will discuss these options with you.

Community Nursing District nurses, and other healthcare staff attached to your Doctor’s surgery, will complete an assessment and will provide nursing care according to your needs. This may be either at the surgery or in your own home.

Rapid Assessment Team A worker from the Rapid Assessment Team may come and see you when you leave hospital and if you need it, they can offer you a rehabilitation service and/or care at home to get you going again. The service is usually available free of charge for 7 days following discharge from hospital.

Help at home with personal care This can help you with day to day personal care such as bathing and dressing. The service is available according to need, and where we can, we will aim to maintain your independence through rehabilitation. For more information contact Adult Care and Support on 0300 1234 131.

Rehabilitation Care Assistants Rehabilitation Care Assistants offer more specialist help at home, to help people to regain their skills, and so maintain their independence. They work to a therapist’s treatment plan for short-term periods, and may for example help people carry out physiotherapy exercises, or regain their confidence in daily living skills such as washing, dressing or cooking.

Care and Support Service A British Red Cross volunteer can give you short-term help with shopping, preparing light meals, escorting to appointments and befriending. The hospital should have details of the scheme, or alternatively contact the British Red Cross on 01872 272 878.

Meals at home Adult Care and Support can help you to arrange for hot or frozen meals to be delivered to your home. See page 44 for more information about meal provision.

Day care Day care in a day centre or residential care home in your area may sometimes be available to meet specific needs that you may have, for example for bathing facilities.

Equipment and adaptations to your home These can be arranged to help you on your return home. A specialist worker can advise you on equipment to help with daily living, such as items for the bathroom or kitchen, and minor adaptations, such as stair-rails or handrails.

Emergency communications systems The Lifeline system enables you to communicate in an emergency with staff that run a central alarm system 24 hours per day. The system is available for a small charge from Cornwall Council (0300 1234 100).

Wheelchair hire Some organisations offer wheelchairs for short and long term hire either for a small charge or a donation. Please see page 61

Transport A number of organisations run volunteer transport schemes, for which there is usually a small charge. For further information, please contact: Transport Access Pilot (TAP), a co-ordinated service to take patients to hospital or other appointments 01872 223 388.

What about the cost of services? Many services are free. There is no charge for an a by Adult Care and Support. Services supplied following a Rapid Assessment Team visit are not subject to financial charges for the first week. There are charges for other services, such as meals and personal care. Following assessment, Adult Care and Support workers will always advise about any charges before setting up a service.

Is there anything else I should know? Adult Care and Support have to keep records about the people who use their services. These records are securely kept and remain confidential. If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of your assessment, or the services provided to you, Adult Care and Support will always seek to fix the problem. If you are a carer, you are entitled to an assessment of your needs, regardless of whether the person you care for receives services from Adult Care and Support or not. If you are being discharged from one of the Royal Cornwall Hospitals (Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske), St Michael’s Hospital, or West Cornwall Hospital) ask a member of staff for a copy of ‘When Will I Go Home? Your Guide Through The Discharge Process’ for more information. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


How to contact mental health services Mental health services can be contacted Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5.15pm via: »» Your GP »» your Care Co-ordinator or »» the duty worker at your local Community Mental Health Team.

Contact details are available from Bodmin Hospital Switchboard: 01208 251300 NHS Direct who offer general health advice 24 hours a day: 0845 46 47

At other times, out of normal working hours advice and support can be obtained from: Out of Hours GP service:

0845 200 0227


0808 800 0306

- 5pm-midnight everyday

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Home Treatment Team between 5.15pm and 8.45am North Cornwall, Caradon 0845 230 & Restormel areas

The Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Heatlh and Wellbeing Board (HaWBB) was formed to: »» Ensure that the development and delivery of the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Health and Well-being Strategy through committment of all partners. »» Monitor and review the health and well-being sections of the Local Area Agreements for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. »» Ensure that all joint commissioning strategies have the promotion of health and well-being as a core component. »» Promote effective partnership working. Our priorities include: »» Healthy workplaces »» Smoking cessation »» Leisure and recreation »» Healthy food »» Emotional health and well being »» Reducing infant deaths »» Sexual health »» Drugs and alcohol »» Domestic violence For further information visit our web page: Contact: Mike Roberts, Health and Well Being Co-ordinator, NHS Cornwall and Isles of Scilly, Sedgemoor Centre, Priory Road, St Austell, Tel: 01726 627903 Mobile: 07887 657817  |


Kerrier, Penwith and Carrick areas

0845 230 3902

Samaritans - 24 hours a day,

08457 90 90 90

7 days a week

Health & Wellbeing Board

Rapid Assessment Teams (RATs) What do the RATs teams do?

When you call the service: You will be asked for your name, address, date of birth, contact details and the reason for your call. We will access your electronic care plan if available. You may be offered telephone support or we may suggest that another service would better meet your needs. We will give you their contact details. When there is a clear need for face to face contact this will be arranged as soon as possible. Your Care Co-ordinator will be informed of your call on the next working day. If the line is engaged when you call you may be asked to leave your contact details with the Bodmin Hospital Switchboard. The team can be called away from the office. If you have not heard from us and still need to speak to someone, please call again after a reasonable interval. An interpreter can be arranged if needed. ©Crown Copyright

If you would like to make any comments or suggestions about these services please contact: Customer Support Team, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Porthpean Rd, St Austell, PL26 6AD

Tel: 01729 291109 Email:


Each team comprises a nurse, a mental health professional, a social work co-ordinator, an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a technician and a clerk. They can assess a patient in their own home rapidly, hopefully within an hour of referral, to establish what might be required to enable the patient to remain in their own home during the current episode of illness. For up to seven days they can provide urgently: »» an increased social work package of care »» comodes and urine bottles »» hand rails »» visits up to three times a day to support the patient in their own home »» therapy to maintain and to promote independence »» nursing care

Opening Hours Mon - Fri: 8.30am - 6.30pm Saturdays & Bank Holidays 9am - 5pm Closed on Sundays

Contact Penwith: Kerrier: Truro: Bodmin: Liskeard:

Tel: 01209 615060 Tel: 01209 615059 Tel: 01872 274363 Tel: 01208 79076 Tel: 01872 326600

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

NHS in Cornwall

Meet the team

RCHT Chaplaincy Service In the West

The Chaplaincy Team based at the Royal Cornwall Hospital at offer care Smith based Kathy Longreach House. Hospitals and and support to over 3000 people a month in Cornwall’s Hospices. The chaplaincy team work as part of the team caring for you in East visitors and staff. Intothe your local hospital. They offer support patients, Newell Christopher The Chaplains work with a large team of volunteers visitingbased peopleat Bodmin Hospital. who are lonely or anxious and may be a long way from home. The team offer a listening ear, confidential counsel and support to all those who need someone to talk to – regardless of what they believe.

Co-ordinating the service Deeley It is not about promoting religion, butElke about supporting people as they

Caring for your Spiritual Needs The chaplains may be able to offer help and support. Why not contact us.

journey through their time in hospital. Helping them to find a way through their situation so that they can face the future and whatever it may hold.

Representatives from diverse faith traditions can

As well as their general ward visiting, Chaplains are involved in End of life also be contacted via the team. care. Chaplains work with parents, who face the loss of their child, people facing their own death, or the death of one they love. The Chaplains are gìåÉ=OMMV=«=`çêåï~ää=m~êíåÉêëÜáé=kep=qêìëí= mêçÇìÅÉÇ=Äó=íÜÉ=`çããìåáÅ~íáçåë=aÉé~êíãÉåíI= `çêåï~ää=m~êíåÉêëÜáé=kep=cçìåÇ~íáçå=qêìëíI=qêìëí=eÉ~Çèì~êíÉêëI= also part of the team offering support to the families of those who die. mçêíÜéÉ~å=oç~ÇI=pí=^ìëíÉääI=`çêåï~ääI=miOS=S^a Staff support The Chaplaincy team supports the staff working within the health community by offering a confidential, informed yet independent listening ear. Building links to, and liasing with, the wider community. The Chaplains work in a partnership of care with local faith communities. Every effort is made to ensure that everybody can access the spiritual, religious and cultural care they need wherever they are. There are a large number of people accredited by the NHS and their Faith Community, who can be called in at any time, to offer help, advice and support. Working with Volunteers Our designated and honorary chaplains work with a large number of volunteers: Pastoral Visitors – visit patients in a ward or unit, visiting the same ward each week. Bedside Ministers – visit people who have requested a religious ministry Chapel Volunteers – assist with services in the chapels Befrienders – visit patients who feel isolated and lonely whilst they are in hospital

Spiritual, Religious and Pastoral Support for All Who is this for? »» All service users of Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, their families and carers. »» We also seek to be a resource and support for all staff and their families. Spiritual and Pastoral Care is for everybody, for people of all religions and of none. You do not have to follow a particular faith to make use of this service, and any religious and spiritual tradition can be contacted via the Chaplaincy. The chaplains will respond to everyone who asks to see them and respect the different faiths and beliefs they encounter.

Meal time Companions – assist patients and staff at mealtimes

How to contact the Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Chaplaincy team: (East) Christopher Newell is based at Bodmin (West) Kathy Smith is based at Longreach House

To contact a RCHT Chaplain:

Representatives from diverse faith traditons can also be contacted via the team.

Please contact the Chaplaincy Office on 01872 252883. The office is open between 8am until 4pm. If there is no Chaplain in the office please leave a message and the Chaplains will respond as soon as possible. In an emergency a Duty Chaplain can be contacted at any time through the main hospital switchboard 01872 2520000

Christopher and Kathy are available Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. Please contact a member of staff if you need a chaplain out of hours. If you are a service user and would like to talk to a chaplain you can: »» ask a member of staff to request a visit on your behalf »» contact the chaplain yourself via the switchboard at Bodmin Hospital: 01208 251300 »» or email: or

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


Where to go for urgent medical advice and support For urgent dental treatment call 01872

354 375

(Mon to Fri 6.30pm - 9am and all day at weekends and bank holidays). Minor cuts Grazes Colds Hangover

Many common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home Talk to your pharmacist about remedies Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids Keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet

Stock up with: Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Anti-diarrhoeal medicine, Rehydration mixture, Indigestion remedy, Cold and flu remedies, First-aid kit with bandages, plasters, antiseptic wipes, and cream, eyewash, medical tape, sterile, dressing, thermometer. Always read the instructions

Unwell? Unsure? Need advice?

NHS Direct 24-hour answers to any health questions Check symptoms by phone or online Get phone numbers, addresses and opening times of GPs, hospitals and walk-in centres Get advice on what to do next.

Confidential advice 24 hours a day Phone 0845 46 47, website Calls cost a maximum of 5p per minute from a BT landline. Calls from mobiles and other networks vary. Your service provider may charge a minimum cost per call. A confidential interpretation service is available in many languages.

Runny nose Headaches Stomach upset Cough & Sore throat

Pharmacy The pharmacist is a qualified expert in medicines. They can advise on the best medicines for many common illnesses You don’t need an appointment Get the help you need as quickly as possible.

Find your pharmacy To find opening times of the pharmacist nearest to you, visit Or call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47

Persistent pain Chronic backache Vomiting

GP For illnesses and injuries which aren’t lifethreatening GPs provide medical advice, examinations and prescriptions If absolutely necessary, the GP can make a home visit out of hours

Larger cuts Sprains Strains Minor injuries

Minor Injury Units Walk-in centre treats urgent illnesses and injuries which are not life-threatening You do not need an appointment

Heavy bleeding Broken bones Chest pain Suspected stroke Burns

Your local Emergency Department Only call 999 or go to the Emergency Department if you are seriously ill or badly injured or you could delay treatment for someone more seriously ill than you are. In a real emergency, don’t delay - call 999 for an ambulance.


You will be seen by an experienced nurse or the GP. Open every day of the year.

Opening Hours Most GPs are open from 8am to 6pm on weekdays with others varying slightly on those times. The majority offer extended sessions, for example before 8am or in the evenings. Check with your surgery or go to. for your local times. If you need a GP when the surgery is closed, call Serco Health on. 0845 2000 227

Minor Injury Units are at community hospitals at Bodmin Community Hospital 01208 251577 Camborne/Redruth Community Hospital 01209 881650 Falmouth Hospital 01326 434739 Fowey Community Hospital 01726 832241 Helston Community Hospital 01326 435815 Launceston Hospital 01566 765653 Liskeard Community Hospital 01579 335278 Newquay Hospital 01637 893623 St Austell Community Hospital 01726 291199 St Barnabas Hospital, Saltash 01752 857400 St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly 01720 422392 Stratton Hospital, Bude 01288 287713 Stennack Surgery MIU, St Ives 01736 793333 (not provided by Community Health Services)

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust 01872 250000 Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust 01752 1558155 Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust 01271 322577

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

NHS in Cornwall

LINk in Cornwall As a member of the public, you have a right to be involved in discussions and decisions about your health and social care services. By sharing your experiences and ideas with your Local Involvement Network (LINk), you can influence the way services are run.

Influence your own care LINk in Cornwall is made up of individuals and community groups who work to improve local health and social care services. It is independent and volunteer led. They aim to ensure that each community has services that reflect the needs and wishes of local people. LINks will be transforming into HealthWatch at the end of 2012 further information about this can be found in the information section??? Until then please continue to feed in your experiences to LINk in Cornwall.

LINk in Cornwall 2 Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2ES Tel: 01872 243 533 |

HealthWatch As part of the changes to the health service the Department of Health are requiring local Authorities to set up a Local HealthWatch by October 2012. The Department of Health White Paper states that: “HealthWatch will be an independent consumer champion for the public – locally and nationally – to promote better outcomes in health for all and in social care for adults... Patients and the public must be at the heart of everything our health and care services do.” What this means in practice is that, locally, HealthWatch will evolve from and continue the LINk function of: »» Capturing people’s views and experiences to influence policy, planning, commissioning and delivery of health and social care. And in addition it will: »» Provide information and advice to help people to access and make choices about services.

For more information about the transition from LINk in Cornwall to HealthWatch visit

Margaret, 75, living with cancer My day didn’t start too well. Everything had got on top of me and I felt really low. When I called the Macmillan Support Line, I didn’t know where to start. But somehow they helped me find the words. Just talking honestly about how I felt was such a relief. Now I don't have to cope with the bad days on my own.


For cancer support at home, over the phone, call the Macmillan Support Line free

0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am–8pm) Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man (604).

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


Care Homes This section provides information and things to consider before moving to a Care Home. Homes are listed alphabetically by district.

Introduction Choosing where to receive the care you require can be a daunting task, particularly as it often involves leaving a home with which you are familiar and in which you may lived for many years. Whenever we choose a new place to live, we do so on the basis of a mixture of logic and emotion. Logic dictates where it should be and how close to family and friends etc. The emotional element is based on whether or not it feels like home. Written information and brochures can tell you about the practical issues but the “feeling of the place” is something you must establish for yourself. The key advice is to visit the homes which meet your practical requirements. Prepare a list of the issues which concern you and don’t be afraid to ask questions. You will find care providers more than happy to discuss your needs and concerns. Many of us have preconceptions about care homes and sadly, the image of care provision has not been well presented in the media. Television programmes and press articles tend to focus on the sensational and all too often it is the occasional problems which are highlighted. The vast majority of homes providing high standards and first class care are simply not newsworthy. Everyone has their own idea of what is nice, what suits them and what meets their own preference. The question therefore needs to be “does it suit me?” and in this respect there is no right or wrong answer.

How Much Will It Cost? The cost of care will vary between homes and across each region of the country. Although cost is an important consideration, affordability is perhaps the more significant issue and getting advice on benefit entitlement and how best to manage finances is crucially important. The CareAware Helpline can assist in this regard. With the requirement for higher standards, increasing wage levels and rising operating costs, care fee inflation can be an issue and so it is also important to consider the future situation, particularly if the care need increases. Demographic trends suggest that more of us will need residential care in the future and with home closures continuing, the availability of care beds can be expected to reduce and this in turn may lead to higher prices.

Are There Specialist Homes? Some homes offer specialised care services. This may range from homes which provide male or female only accommodation to those which cater for particular problems and difficulties.

How to Find Potential Homes Some people are aware of the home they would prefer, perhaps through a recommendation or because a friend was resident there. However, many face the prospect of making a selection from scratch. The local authority will provide a listing of all registered homes and there are the traditional information sources such as Yellow Pages etc. In addition, many homes are part of local regional or national care associations who produce directories and listings.

Who Provides Care? There are three principal providers of residential and nursing care. Most local authorities own and operate homes of their own although the numbers of places they provide have declined over recent years. The voluntary and charitable sector provides a relatively small but important provision and the largest group is the independent or private sector.

How Do I Measure the Quality of a Home? The difficulty with quality is that it can mean different things to different people and therefore it is extremely difficult to measure. All establishments providing residential or nursing care have to be registered with the authorities and comply with the prevailing regulations. This ensures that the home complies with the requirements of health and safety, staffing levels, hygiene, drug administration and accepted good practice. Homes are inspected regularly and the latest inspection report is available by asking the owner, manager or via the Care Quality Commission. It should however be remembered that the inspection process tends to examine systems and procedures rather than caring.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

An alternative is the Care Quality Commission which took over from the Commission for Social Care Inspection on 1st April 2009. or 03000 616161.

CareAware Edition 04.09 Caring Solutions for Age Old Problems

Other publications include ‘Finding and Paying for a Care Home’ by Help the Aged (now Age UK) (available by calling: 020 7278 1114 or by visiting their website: AdviceSupport/AdviceLeaflets/) and ‘The Care Home Handbook’ by Counsel + Care which can be downloaded from: carehomehandbook or Tel: 0845 300 7585

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

What to look for Leaving your home and familiar surroundings to move into a care home is a big step. It is important to consider your choices carefully before making a decision about where to move. All care homes in England are registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), formerly the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI). The CQC regulates health and adult social care services in England. CQC carries out inspections to make sure that each care home is meeting essential standards of quality and safety. ©Copyright Counsel + Care, Care Homes: What to look for 2009-10:1 2

registered and inspected by the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI). In Scotland this is the Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care and in Wales, the Care Standards Inspectorate for Wales. Local authorities still retain responsibility for homes in Northern Ireland. Inspection reports are available from the home or the relevant authority.

Respite Care Short term care or intermediate care is usually available in a care home, but possibly at home with the assistance of professional carers. You may consider respite care for a number of reasons: »» to build up your strength after a stay in hospital, »» after a stay in hospital, while you are waiting to move somewhere permanent; »» to have a break, or to give your carers a break, or; »» to see whether you would like to live in the care home permanently. (See pg 62-63 for information on respite care & day services)

Choosing a care home

Is a care home right for you? Before deciding to go into a care home, have you considered whether it is possible for you to stay in your own home? »» Have you contacted your local social services department and asked them to assess your needs for services such as home care, meals, day care or respite care? »» Have you been in touch with your GP to make sure a medical assessment of your needs has been carried out? »» Have you been in touch with organisations such as your local Age Concern to see if there is any way they can support you or perhaps tell you about social activities in your area? »» If you are finding your current home difficult to manage, have you considered a move to sheltered/ retirement housing or Extra Care Housing? »» If you are finding the stairs, bath or toilet hard to manage, have you asked your local social services department if they can provide useful equipment? »» If your house needs repairs or alterations, have you asked your local Home Improvement Agency or council housing department whether there are any grants available? »» If you are finding it difficult to manage financially, have you contacted the Pensions Service, the Housing Benefit section of your local authority or organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau or Age Concern to see whether you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled?

If you can afford to pay your own fees you can choose a home and make your own arrangements. Before making any arrangements, it is a good idea to ask for a local authority assessment of need, particularly if you may need help with the fees at some point in the future. If you are paying your own fees, the care home must provide a written contract at the time you move into the home. If possible, try and arrange a trial stay in a home before making a final decision.

Finding a care home Phone EAC’s free Advice Line on 020 7820 1343, search directly online at or email at

Paying for a care home Fully funded NHS care: People with very high nursing or medical needs may qualify to have their care fully funded by the NHS under the Continuing Care criteria. Care homes vary in cost. Depending on the location and services provided, the fees can vary from about £300 a week to £1,000 or more for a home providing nursing care. If you need help towards the cost of a care home you must first contact your local social services department and ask for an assessment of your needs. This will tell you whether you meet the authority’s criteria for a care home and how much the authority will ‘normally’ pay for someone with your assessed care needs. You are also advised to contact the social services department if there is any chance you may need financial help towards the cost of fees in the future. For further advice and written information on funding care contact EAC’s free Advice Line on 020 7820 1343 or at uk. ©Copyright EAC Oct 2005

Types of Homes Care homes providing personal care vary in size and facilities. All are expected to provide a room, meals, help with personal care such as dressing, supervision of medication, companionship and someone on call at night. Care homes providing personal care give care during normal short illnesses but do not provide constant nursing care. Care homes providing nursing care also vary in size and facilities, but all provide personal and nursing care 24 hours a day for people who are bedridden, very frail or have a medical condition or illness that means they need regular attention from a nurse. There is always a qualified nurse on duty. Older people diagnosed with dementia may need a care home with an additional category of registration (DE). These were previously known as EMI homes. Care homes may be owned and operated by private individuals, companies owning groups of homes, not for profit organisations and local authority social services departments. All care homes in England are

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

St Anne’s Residential Home

A Care home for the elderly, set in a beautiful rural location, close to the north Cornish coast. All rooms have ensuite facilities, nurse call system and the opportunity to have your own private telephone.

The Barton, Whitstone, Holsworthy, EX22 6UA Tel: 01288 341355

There is a passenger lift to the first floor bedrooms. The home is run with a Christian ethos with regular services. Please contact the manager on 01288 341355 for a copy of our brochure.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Care Homes

Leaving your Home

Paying for Care If Adult Care and Support can sometimes help pay for the cost of your care in a care home, although you will always have to make a contribution as well. Trained Adult Care and Support staff will carry out a financial assessment of your circumstances to work out exactly what your contribution should be; this will be calculated according to strict legal guidelines. It is important to note also that Adult Care and Support will only fund you at the level of care your assessment has shown that you will need at the home. Legal Framework Adult Care and Support departments are required under the National Assistance Act 1948 to provide, and/or fund, residential care for those persons who are ordinarily resident in their area, and who are assessed as requiring that form of care. The rules governing financial assessment are contained in the National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992, and are interpreted by the Charges for Residential Accommodation Guide (CRAG), which is guidance issued by the Secretary of State for Health. CRAG is a lengthy document which covers the treatment of all types of assets, and a person’s interest in those assets, in undertaking a financial assessment. The same charge calculation principles apply to nursing home care as residential home care. The financial assessment for permanent residential or nursing home care. How is a financial assessment arranged? Firstly a social worker will visit you to carry out an assessment of your care needs, and this will confirm if moving to a care home is the most appropriate course of action for you. If you think you will need help with care home fees, either straightaway or in the future, your social worker will arrange for a finance officer from Adult Care and Support to contact you, or someone acting on your behalf, to carry out a financial assessment. What financial details will I be asked for? When the finance officer contacts you, he/she may discuss your financial circumstances with you. All information that you give will be treated as strictly confidential, and all records of the conversation will be kept securely. You will be asked to give details of: Your National Insurance (NI) number Your income (eg retirement pension, private pension, Attendance Allowance etc) Your capital (eg details of any property you occupy or own, savings in a bank or building society, stock, shares or premium bonds etc) Any monies held jointly by you and your spouse or partner What will happen during the assessment? When the finance officer contacts you, he/she will ask you to collate all relevant documents relating to your income and capital. The finance officer may arrange a time and date to call you back in order that you have time to collate all the relevant details. The finance officer will then record your financial details on a Financial Circumstances Form. When the form is complete, you will be asked to sign it and provide copies of the relevant supporting documents, and you will receive your own copy to keep. If all the relevant information is available at the time of the call, the finance officer may be able to calculate your contribution to the cost of your care there and then. However, where the situation is complex, or if all the necessary information is not available, a follow up call or a visit might be necessary, or you may be contacted later in writing with an explanation of your contribution. During the assessment, the finance officer will also be able to give you guidance on any benefits that you are entitled to receive from the Department for Work and Pensions towards the cost of your


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

residential or nursing care. The Finance Officer will provide guidance on how to make further claims for benefits and who to contact. What will happen next? The finance officer will let your social worker know that the financial assessment has been completed, and the amount of contribution you will be asked to pay direct to the home. You and the social worker will then be in a position to discuss your move to an appropriate home in more detail. What do I do if I am unhappy with the calculation of my contribution? Please refer in the first instance to the finance officer who has dealt with your case, or if you prefer you can seek independent legal advice. (Some organisations who may be able to help can be found on our Contacts for Advice and Information page.) If you are unable to resolve the matter in this way, they will advise you on what steps to take next. More about the financial calculation 1. Property Disregards Under certain circumstances your property will be ignored as capital for the financial assessment. Occasionally Adult Care and Support’s Director will use his/her discretion to disregard a property where it is felt the circumstances are exceptional. For more information about this please see Charging for Residential Accommodation Guide (CRAG). 2. The 12 week property disregard This provides a form of limited state financial support to people who are about to be provided with accommodation under Part 3 of the National Assistance Act 1948. This would apply where a person entering longterm residential care does not have income or assets which will cover the fees. The value of the property the person has lived in as their main home is not included in the charge assessment for the first twelve weeks of care. However, the applicant would still be assessed for a contribution based on their income and any other capital. The twelve week property disregard is also applied to residents who have been funding the full cost of their care from their income and capital but whose total capital has now reduced to below the upper capital threshold for funding assistance. Please also see our 12 week property disregard fact sheet. 3. After 12 weeks: After 12 weeks your property will be taken into account as capital for the purposes of the financial assessment. 4. Bridging If you have less than £3000 and the property is for sale you may be entitled to ‘bridging’ funding assistance. This means Adult Care and Support will pay towards your fees and a Legal Charge will be placed against your property so Adult Care and Support will reclaim the fees it has paid during this bridging period. This ‘loan’ is interest free but in certain circumstances this will change and the Finance Officer will discuss this with you. 5. Deferred Payment Arrangements A Deferred Payment is where the Local Authority pays some of the costs of a resident’s fees. A Legal Charge is placed against the property which will be recoverable upon the circumstances agreed at the time of arranging the Deferred Payment, e.g. when the house is sold or when the person in care dies. Local Authorities have the option of offering Deferred Payments but they are not required to do so (please see link above). Adult Care and Support’s policy is to provide DPs in extenuating circumstances which prevents the resident’s property being sold at the time that permanent residential care has been provided. This is at the discretion of the Director. 6. Capital Thresholds The information below is valid from 11 April 2011. Capital thresholds apply to the Local Authority financial assessment for residential and nursing accommodation. The lower limit is £14,250 and

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Example Mrs Jones is 82 years old and has been assessed by a social worker as requiring nursing home care. Mrs Jones lives in rented property and receives a state pension of £102.15. Mrs Jones has £7,500 in a building society account and shares valued at £2,000. Having had confirmation of the above financial details, the finance officer will firstly calculate the level of income the DWP will assess Mrs Jones as being entitled to when she is resident in a nursing home, currently:

Mrs Jones’ benefits entitlement Mrs Jones’ benefits entitlement


Mrs Jones’ actual income


Standard minimum guarantee


Retirement pension





Care Homes

the upper limit £23,250. The Government sets new limits each year. A service-user with capital of more than £23,250 is liable to pay the full amount for their residential or nursing care. Where a service-user is one of a couple, he/she is liable to pay the full fee if he/she has more than £23,250 in his/her own right or if his/her share of jointly-held capital is more than £23,250. Capital of £14,250 or less is fully disregarded; however, capital over £14,250 and up to £23,250 is taken into account for the purpose of calculating the service-user’s “tariff income” from capital. To calculate the level of tariff income, the finance officer will take into account, as weekly income, £1 for every complete £250 or part of £250 over £14,250. In assessing a service-user’s ability to pay for their accommodation, the local authority is required to ensure that they retain an amount for personal expenses: this is currently set at £22.60 weekly. Below is an example of how an individual client’s contribution may be calculated; please note, however, that this is intended to give guidance only, and is not meant to enable people to work out their own contribution. Each person’s case is different, and usually quite complex, which is why Adult Care and Support have trained finance officers to carry out the calculations on your behalf.

Minimum fee rate payable to care homes by Adult Care and Support Category

Fee per week (11/12)

Low Rate Residential Care for Older People


Residential Care for Older People


High and Standard Residential / EMI


Physical Disability £450.00 Nursing Care for older people £383.70 - £473.70

(Not including nursing element)

These figures are correct on 13th December 2011 Contact the Financial assessment and benefits team Tel: 0300 1234 131

Independent Financial Advice Cornwall Council advise all residents to take independent financial advice, as there may be several different ways of funding care available. The following are examples of independent advisors: Nursing Home Fees Agency (NHFA), Age Concern (Age UK), Citizens Advice Bureaux, (see page 85 for local numbers) Help the Aged (Age UK),

01865 750665 0800 009966 020 7278 1114

Complete Care Services Directory

Mrs Jones’ income is £102.15 per week which is less than the£137.35 the law says she needs. The Finance Officer will advise Mrs Jones to make a claim for Pension Credits. She will receive £35.20 Guarantee Credit.

Use Right Care Index Directory online to keep up to date with all latest health and care services.

When Mrs Jones is residing in the nursing home, she will be entitled to retain £22.60 personal expenses allowance. This enables her to contribute £114.75 per week towards the cost of her care. Mrs Jones’ contributions

£ Amount

Retirement Pension


Pension Credit-Guarantee


Sub Total


Less Personal Allowance




You can get more advice by calling 0300 1234 131 and asking for the Financial Assessments and Benefits Team.

These figures are correct on 27th January 2011. Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Care Homes - Home Care - News - eBooks Charities - Authorities - Motability - Many More on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Care Homes in Cornwall Nursing Home No. of beds

Residential Home Day Care



Physical Disability

Old Age

Mental Health

Nursing Homes in Cornwall Nursing Homes in Central Cornwall Alexandra House

Newquay TR7 3ND 01637 877508

Bodmin PL31 2BL 01208 75057


Caritate Nursing Home

Bodmin PL30 5JU 01208 75628

Newquay Nursing Home


Newquay TR7 1PD 01637 873314 41

Castle Hill House Limited Bodmin PL31 2DY 01208 73802

North Hill House


St Austell PL25 4BJ 01726 72647

St Austell PL25 5JG 01726 72956



Cedar Grange

Launceston PL15 8JN 01566 773049

Old Roselyon Manor


Par PL24 2DW 01726 814297

Truro TR1 3DR 01872 222132



Clinton House Care Home


Falmouth TR11 3LR 01326 311155


Cathedral View Nursing Home

North Cornwall Central Cornwall West Cornwall

King Charles Court

Truro TR1 3ES 01872 271921

Caprera House Care Home

Fore Dore Nursing Home Ltd Wadebridge PL27 6SB 01208 863471

Roseland Nursing Home


Truro TR2 5PD 01872 530665

St Austell PL25 5JQ 01726 63663



Hillcrest House Limited Looe PL13 1NN 01503 263489

Sheldon House



Falmouth TR11 4EF 01326 313411

Lostwithiel PL22 0RA 01208 872810



Cowbridge Nursing Home

St Margaret`s 28


Trefula House 34


Truro TR2 5HR 01872 580291

Malvern House

Saltash PL12 4BG 01752 842463 22

Pendruccombe House 54

St Austell PL25 4LD 01726 75066 52

St Teresa`s

Holywell Bay Care Home

Nursing Homes in North Cornwall


Asheborough House

Saltash PL12 4AP 01752 845206 31



Launceston PL15 9HF 01566 776100



Newquay TR8 5PT 01637 830801

Launceston PL15 9HP 01566 777841

Redruth TR16 5ET 01209 820215

St Austell PL24 2LX 01726 812277

Eshcol House

Kernow House

St Columb TR9 6LX 01726 861497

Lostwithiel PL22 0JW 01208 872227

Elmsleigh Care Home

Terminally Ill

Belmont House


Amberley House Care Home

Sensory Impairment

Callington PL17 7QF 01579 383488 45

Tamar House

Saltash PL12 6BN 01752 843579 21

Truro TR1 3EB 01872 223399 109

Beech Lawn

Liskeard PL14 3JX 01579 346460 44


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

The Elms Care Centre

Saltash PL12 4JE 01752 846335 37

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Torpoint PL11 2BW 01752 813677


St Ives TR26 2BX 01736 796856



Trelana Nursing Home

Bude EX23 9EL 01288 354613 50

Wadebridge PL27 6PU 01208 863488 30

St Martin`s House

Camborne TR14 7HJ 01209 713512 40

Fairholme Camborne TR14 8DN 01209 714491 60

Trewiston Lodge

Care Homes

Torpoint Nursing Centre

Glencoe Nursing Home

(see advert on inside front cover) Hayle TR27 5BX 01736 752216

St Teresa`s Cheshire Home Penzance TR20 9BJ 01736 710336 27

The Beeches

Hayle TR27 4AH 01736 752725 28


Windmill Court

Wadebridge PL27 6RD 01208 863831 34

Tregenna House Millpond View Care Home Hayle TR27 4HX 01736 754635

Nursing Homes in West Cornwall Benoni Nursing Home Ltd

Camborne TR14 7QG 01209 713040 49


Penhellis Nursing Home

(see advert on inside front cover) Helston TR13 8NQ 01326 565840

St Just TR19 7LW 01736 788433


Trengrouse House

Helston TR13 8BA 01326 573382 41

Trevaylor Manor

Penzance TR20 8UR 01736 350856




Helston TR12 7JG 01326 240977


(see advert below) Hayle TR27 4NG 01736 752090 31


Trewartha House

Porthgwara Nursing Home Helston TR12 6TG 01326 280307

St Ives TR26 2TQ 01736 797183 37


Bonaer Care Home is a well established, family run, clean, modern and comfortable nursing home. Located in the picturesque seaside resort of Hayle, Cornwall. The home offers very high standards of care by friendly staff. We aim to combine the finest professional care with luxury surroundings and excellent food. For further information please give us a call or come and visit. - Close to shops and other amenities - Minibus outings - Entertainment - Private library - Specialist equipment available - All rooms equipped with staff call bell - Nourishing meals from local produce - Special dietary needs catered for

Bonaer Care Home, Station Hill, Hayle, Cornwall TR27 4NG

Tel: 01736 752090

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Care Homes in Cornwall Nursing Home No. of beds

Residential Home Day Care



Physical Disability

Old Age

Mental Health

Residential Homes in Cornwall Residential Homes in Central Cornwall


St Columb Minor TR7 3DZ 01637 877662

Antron Manor Care Home 16

St Austell PL26 7BP 01726 66892

Roscarrack House

Falmouth TR11 5BP 01326 312498 19


Rosehill House Res Home Ltd

(see advert on page 33) Truro TR4 9JX 01872 573378


Terminally Ill

North Cornwall Central Cornwall West Cornwall


Penryn TR10 9HH 01326 376570

Sensory Impairment

Par PL24 2LB 01726 812424 30



Rosewyn House Cathedral View Res Home Truro TR1 3DR 01872 240974 34

Mount Pleasant, St Agnes

Truro TR1 1JE 01872 279107

(see advert right) St Agnes TR5 0UD 01872 553165



St George`s Hotel

Truro TR1 3JE 01872 272554

Chy Koes

St Austell PL25 4RA 01726 76045 5

Ocean Hill Lodge 18

Clovelly House

Newquay TR7 1RA 01637 876668 19

Crantock Lodge

Newquay TR7 3AN 01637 872112 11


Newquay TR7 2DW 01637 874595

Sunningdale House

(see advert on back cover) Perranporth TR6 0EP 01872 571151

Penberthy House

Newquay TR7 2BT 01637 873845



The Brake Manor

St Austell PL25 5AG 01726 75748

Penrice House

St Austell PL26 6AZ 01726 73067



Fistral House

Newquay TR7 1PY 01637 878423 13

The Crescent

Newquay TR7 1DZ 01637 874493

Pentree Lodge

Newquay TR7 1PD 01637 878437



The Grove


Newquay TR7 2RY 01637 874148 14

Perran Bay Home For The Elderly

St. Austell PL25 3NP 01726 76481

Perranporth TR6 0BH 01872 572275



The Hollies


St Austell PL26 6NT 01726 843480 27

Qumran Rest Home

St. Austell PL26 8JA 01726 890247

Newquay TR7 1NJ 01637 876699



Kimberley Court

Newquay TR7 1JG 01637 850316 36

The Manse Redannick House

Truro TR1 2JP 01872 276889

Newquay TR8 5LB 01872 510844 23



Falmouth TR11 3JP 01326 314512 39


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Mount Pleasant Residential Care Home, St. Agnes Enjoy high-class comfort and care in the beautiful village of St. Agnes, with scenic views and a good family atmosphere. Local amenities on the doorstep •













Mrs Sear’s primary objective is to make the residents feel at home, not in a home, whilst providing the highest possible standard of care in a warm friendly environment. At Mount Pleasant both staff and residents are understanding and caring and you will be amongst friends who will help in every way. All rooms are fully furnished, with washing facilities (some ensuites) and Nurse Call system. Bathrooms are fitted with bath seats and a hoist. .

If you are contemplating moving into a residential care home, make an appointment to go and see Mrs Sear at Mount Pleasant and receive friendly advice with no obligation. BROCHURE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.


Contact Mrs Sear on (01872) 553165 REGISTERED WITH CQC



Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Care Homes in Cornwall Nursing Home No. of beds

Residential Home Day Care

The Rowans

St Agnes TR5 0UY 01872 552147



Falmouth TR11 2ER 01326 318318

Tywardreath PL24 2TR 01726 813588

Truro TR1 1XQ 01872 223330

Tremethick House

(see advert on the right) Redruth TR15 3AL 01209 215713


Camelford PL32 9TL 01840 212528

Polperro PL31 2JE 01503 272243



Highpoint Lodge

Barnfield House

Wadebridge PL27 7DS 01208 814525

Liskeard PL14 4DT 01579 347617



Hillsborough Residential Home

Beaumont Court

Launceston PL15 8LR 01566 785350


Kilmar House


Callington PL17 7EF 01579 383104


Lanivet PL30 5HD 01208 831305

Liskeard Eventide Home Ltd Liskeard PL14 3AU 01579 342676

Liskeard PL14 4JU 01579 346819




Manor House

Eirenikon Park


St Columb Major TR9 6SD 01637 880779

Liskeard PL14 5HJ 01579 343534

Tintagel PL34 0AE 01840 770252




Marray House

Eldon House


St Austell PL25 5BN 01726 72941

Liskeard PL14 5AJ 01579 362686



Woodland House

St Austell PL25 4RA 01726 72903 36

Saltash PL12 4ED 01752 844488 23

Pen Inney


Launceston PL15 9JQ 01566 777661 15

Eventide Residential Home Bude EX23 8RQ 01288 352602

Residential Homes in North Cornwall 16 Pendean Court

Liskeard PL14 6DZ 01579 340201

Liskeard PL14 3ET 01579 346993 2

Coombe House

Falmouth TR11 4DD 01326 312833

Kingston House




Liskeard PL14 3JU 01579 343066


Clann House Residential Home

St Austell PL24 2AJ 01726 814834

Callington PL17 7ER 01579 383138




Gunnislake PL18 9AJ 01822 832926 11



Terminally Ill

Fernleigh House



Tregolls Manor

Sensory Impairment

Mental Health

Callington PL17 8DU 01579 383979


Trecarrel Care Home

Old Age

Appleby Lodge


The White House, Falmouth

Physical Disability

Fairfields Country Rest Home 30


Pengover House

Liskeard PL14 3EN 01579 343397 40


Bude EX23 9NH 01288 381241

Launceston PL15 7QD 01566 782318

Penmount Grange

Bodmin PL30 5JE 01208 831220 27



Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Care Homes

Anson Care Caring homes where every effort is made to respect the privacy, independence & dignity of each resident Tremethick House Meadowside Redruth TR15 3AL Reg. Manager Ruth Stock 01209 215713

The Old Manor House Regent Terrace Penzance TR18 4DW Reg. Manager Sian Bunoomally 01736 363742

Harbour House Penberthy Road, Portreath TR16 4LW Reg. Manager Amanda Grainger 01209 843276

Harbour Lodge Penberthy Road, Portreath TR16 4LW Manager Amanda Grainger 01209 843276

• Short & long term care • Mainly single rooms, • • • • •

• • Operations Manager, Sarah Eustice 01209 843001 •

mostly with en-suite Regular outings At-home events Day Care Hairdressing Dental, Chiropody & Optician services available Regular church services Delightful gardens Lifts to all floors

Now introducing Harbour Homecare and Support – Services in your home, Supported by our homes Support and Care in your own home, ranging from Live-in-Care to changing a lightbulb. For more information contact the Registered Manager Adrian Gray: Phone: 01209 843001 | Fax: 01209 844899

Anson Care Services31

Care choices have you at a loss? Call Managing

on 01872 321 327Provider) or see page Mrs 91 forMary more details Partner (Registered Anson MSc RGN

Care Homes in Cornwall Nursing Home No. of beds

Residential Home Day Care

Porte Rouge

Torpoint PL11 2BW 01752 814469

Bude EX23 8EU 01288 355250 32

Physical Disability

Old Age


Mental Health

Springfield House Res Home North Hill PL15 7PQ 01566 782361

St Anne`s (Holsworthy)

(see advert on page 23) Holsworthy EX22 6UA 01288 341355

Restgarth Care Home 36

St Hilary

Bude EX23 8DG 01288 352754 38

Bude PL31 1AG 01208 76152

Saltash PL12 6DX 01752 847001


Roseacre Care Ltd 22

Wadebridge PL27 7NN 01208 812246

St Petroc`s Care Home

St Anne`s, Saltash 33

Polbathic PL11 3DX 01503 230256

Terminally Ill


36 Polperro PL13 2PW 01503 272016

Sensory Impairment

St Breock



Red Gables


Tamara Care Home

St Anthonys Care Home

Torpoint PL11 2RA 01752 813527

Liskeard PL14 4BY 01579 342308



Rowan House Care Home Saltash PL12 4BY 01752 843843 20

Kathy and Rob would like to welcome you to Penlee, a long established, family run care home in the centre of Penzance. Moving home, however beneficial, can be emotional and stressful for all concerned. We will use our experience to help you all through this difficult period and to relax into our safe, warm and friendly environment.

Kathy and Rob Putterill 56 Morrab Road, Penzance Cornwall TR18 4EP 01736 364102


Please take the time to come in for a chat and to have a look around


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Care Homes

Longview Care Home







)RUDIUHHEURFKXUHRUWRÀQGRXW how we can help, please call the home manager on: 01872 573378

Longview committed to caring

/RQJYLHZ&DUH+RPH5RVHKLOO*RRQKDYHUQ7UXUR&RUQZDOO75-; Longview Care Home, Rosehill, Goonhavern, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 9JX Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Care Homes in Cornwall Nursing Home No. of beds

Residential Home Day Care

The Old Vicarage [Antony] Torpoint PL11 3AQ 01752 812384 22

The White House, Bodmin Bodmin PL31 2DU 01208 72310 34

Tremanse Care Home

Bodmin PL31 2HR 01208 74717




St Ives TR26 3JZ 01736 753330 13

Old Age

(see advert on page 31) Portreath TR16 4LW 01209 843276

Camborne TR14 8BA 01209 713498 46

Helston TR12 6NS 01326 280734





St Ives TR26 2NT 01736 795769

Camborne TR14 8FD 01209 713413



Little Trefewha

Camborne TR14 0JZ 01209 831566


St Ives TR26 2SF 01736 796142



Menwinnion Country House Penzance TR19 6BJ 01736 810233

St Clair House Care Home

Camborne TR14 8SL 01209 713273



Morovahview Res Home

St Mary`s Haven

Hayle TR27 4AJ 01736 753772

Penzance TR18 2DH 01736 368585 26

Mount Pleasant, Camborne Camborne TR14 7RQ 01209 716424

The Downes

Hayle TR27 4HW 01736 754400


Carrick Lodge

St Ives TR26 2BZ 01736 794353 38


Parc Vro

The Green

Helston TR12 6AY 01326 221275

Redruth TR15 1LU 01209 215250 42


Chy Byghan

Penzance TR19 7AX 01736 871459 19


Camborne TR14 7QF 01209 714576 10


Penzance TR18 5BU 01736 362492


Penzance TR20 9PN 01736 710476

Garsewednack Residential Home


Penmeneth House

Hayle TR27 4NQ 01736 752359



Helston TR13 8QF 01326 572609 31



Penzance TR18 4EP 01736 364102

Redruth TR15 2HZ 01209 215798

Godolphin House

Penzance TR20 8JQ 01736 710736



Penzance TR18 4DW 01736 363742

Tolverth House

Bodmin PL31 1QH 01208 74338

Penlee (See ad on page 32)

The Old Manor House (see ad pg 31) 14

Pendrea House


Terminally Ill

Polventon House


Blackwood House

Sensory Impairment

Mental Health

Harbour House


Residential Homes in West Cornwall

Physical Disability

Tregertha Court East Looe PL13 1HN 01503 262014 38

Trelawney House Helston TR13 9NT 01736 763334 11

Pine Trees

Hayle TR27 5DZ 01736 753249 35

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Care at Home “When asked, many older people would prefer to remain in their own homes if they needed care and indeed, for some time now, it has been government policy to encourage and enable this to happen. Whatever the reason for needing it there is a myriad of help, care and support available if you know where to turn to get it.” -First Stop Introduction from Age Uk Most of us want to live independently in our own homes for as long as possible. As we get older, we may need support and assistance to enable us to do so. This can take the form of personal care, making our home more suitable for our needs or financial assistance from benefits or elsewhere. Help you might be able to get includes: »» Personal care »» Help to manage and feel safe at home »» Financial assistance »» Health services »» The local authority social services department is the main state provider of assistance. As an older person you will almost certainly be entitled to an assessment to establish what your needs are and suggest how those needs can be taken care of. Each local authority sets eligibility criteria, which are rules identifying the services they will provide for different levels of need. Even if you do not want your authority to arrange services for you, the assessment is useful as a way of identifying what services might benefit you. Contact your local authority social services department and ask them to carry out an assessment of your needs. Their number should be in the phone book or your local Age UK partner can tell you how to contact them - call us free on 0800 169 6565 to find your nearest one.

Personal care Personal care means help with tasks like getting up and getting dressed, washing and bathing. Providers of this kind of care include social services, private care agencies and voluntary organisations. Across the UK, agencies that provide personal care workers have to be registered with the regulatory body for care services in that nation and are regularly inspected to ensure that minimum standards are met. If you need personal care or assistance with your essential daily tasks, you may be eligible for Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. Information on living independently and employing care workers is available from the National Centre for Independent Living website:

Help with your house and garden You may require help with housework, gardening, shopping, laundry and other day-to-day tasks. Many local authorities only offer limited assistance with these. Local voluntary organisations, including Age UK and Age Concern groups, may run services or you can employ someone privately.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Local voluntary services Local voluntary organisations and charities operate in most areas. They may deliver services on behalf of the local authority but can be particularly useful in covering activities that your local authority does not provide. Examples include gardening and handyperson services, befriending schemes and social activities. There are around 400 local Age UK / Age Concern groups, each offering a range of services and activities to the communities in which they are based. Call Age UK advice free on 0800 169 6565 to find your nearest one.

Is there any help for people who look after me? You may be helped by a family member or friend rather than a paid care worker. That person is a carer even if they do not realise it. When looking at your needs, the local authority should not make assumptions about how much support your carer can provide. Nor should your carer feel pressured to do more than they can comfortably cope with. Your carer is also entitled to ask for their own needs assessment. Carers can receive services to help them carry out their caring role. Often what carers find most valuable is the opportunity to have a break from their responsibilities, even for a short time. Financial support for carers is not generous. There is a benefit called Carers Allowance paid to carers who provide more than 35 hours’ care for a disabled person but the amount payable is low and any other income your carer has may affect their eligibility. Carers can often benefit from sharing their experiences with other carers. There may be a group in your area where carers can support each other – Visit the Carers UK website: or call them free on 0808 808 7777 for information about help available to carers. ‘My befriender comes in for a chat, a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit. It is the highlight of my week.’

Short breaks for you or your carer You or your carer may need a break to recharge your batteries. Services provided to enable you to do this are known as respite care. It might involve a short stay in a care home or other residential establishment. Even a break for a short time, such as an afternoon to go to the cinema or attend a social club, can make a big difference to the person concerned. Ask your local authority for information about respite care, including how it is charged for. ©Age UK 2010

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

The ability to get around is vital in order to live a full life yet thousands of blind and partially sighted people never leave home alone. Guide Dogs empowers visually impaired people to do that and relies on the support of the public to fund its services.

We breed and train guide dogs which provide life changing mobility and there are currently 4,500 working guide dog partnerships in the UK. A guide dog is trained to guide its owner in a straight line unless told otherwise, avoiding obstacles. It will stop at kerbs and steps, find doors, crossings and places which are visited regularly; it will guide its owner across the road but cannot decide where and when to cross safely which is the responsibility of the owner.

We promise

to provide a guide dog for as long as it is a safe and suitable means of mobility for a blind or partially sighted person and depend entirely on voluntary and legacy income to fund our services. The full lifetime cost of a guide dog from birth to retirement is £49,800 but guide dog owners only have to pay a nominal 50p for their dog to ensure no-one is prevented from having one due to a lack of funds. To deliver the guide dog and other mobility services Guide Dogs relies on the skills and energy of around 10,000 volunteers who do everything from fundraising to boarding dogs in training. We also campaign passionately to break down barriers – both physical and legal – to enable blind and partially sighted people to get around on their own.

How to get in touch with Guide Dogs and find out more about … Volunteering: 0845 371 7771 Ownership: 0845 372 7499 Donating or fundraising: 0870 240 6993 Visit Email The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, Burghfield Common, Reading, RG7 3YG | Tel: 0118 983 5555

Assistive Technology

Assessing Your Care and Support Needs

Assistive Technology is equipment/technology which enables or promotes independent living and is as much about the philosophy of dignity and independence as it is about equipment and services. Cornwall Department of Adult Care and Support in partnership with Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Primary Care trust is one of only three sites nationally to be selected as a Whole System Demonstrator site. This project is the largest clinical trial of Telecare and Telehealth in the UK aimed at maintaining independence.

The need for care can arise for different reasons. It might be a permanent need as a result of a disability, illness or frailty in old age or, it might be just a temporary need to get over an accident or illness. Whatever the reason it is important to obtain a professional assessment of your needs.

From the telecare perspective our focus is with people who are at risk of a fall or have fallen, situations where carers may be struggling with their role as a carer and those with a cognitive impairment (ie. Dementia, learning disability).

The first port of call for this is your local social services department which has a duty to assess the care needs of anyone who has been identified as possibly needing community care services that can be provided by them. These could include home care at home, meals on wheels, day care, equipment and alterations to your home, care in a care home or respite care. There is no charge for an assessment from the council. Alternatively, if you can afford it, there are also independent agencies that can do this privately. Professionals assessing your needs decide what services or support can be provided to meet your needs. These could range from home help to a live-in carer or from adapting your home to recommending alternative accommodation.

The basis of the system is a lifeline service. Most people know of the emergency pendants. but through this project we are using a wide range of sensors in addition to the pendant which all go back through the same lifeline system. Typical examples of sensors would include sensors which detect if someone leaves a bed and doesn’t return and smoke alarms and carbon monoxide sensors.

Sadly, many local authorities on tight budgets can only provide care to those people who have substantial or critical needs so it is a good idea to ask them to describe what procedures, priorities, and rules they use to decide whether they will provide services, and if they will help to pay for them. Ask them to explain about how their rules apply to your situation.

All equipment supplied through the project is free of charge for the duration of the project and participants are free to withdraw at any point. Only with the agreement of the participant and / or their carer will we proceed to install.

There are no national eligibility criteria for community care services, but there is government guidance, on which each council must base its services on. Details of the services that your council provides should be available from the local council offices or in most cases available on their website. Your GP’s surgery or local Age Concern / Age UK should also be able to help you understand the local eligibility criteria and how to access services. The assessment is the first stage in getting the help and support you might need and must be carried out by your local council before they can provide or arrange any services for you. Even if you will be arranging for and paying privately for your care it is still a good idea to have a proper assessment to help you understand and decide what sort of care and support you need and is available. To get an assessment you should contact your local social services department. If you are unable to do this your GP, community nurse, any other professional worker or a friend or relative, with your permission can contact social services on your behalf. ©First Stop 2010

First Stop Advice Line: 0800 377 7070

People are identified to the project through Adult Care and Support staff based throughout the county, Primary Care Staff and self referrals. At this point we arrange to visit all potential participants to explain the project and demonstrate the equipment available.

Cornwall will continue to develop the assistive technology provision further, and is beginning to provide the service to people with a learning disability, hospital discharge services to support carers. At its core though the Assistive Technology service aims, remain the same: »» Promote safer independence »» Provide choice and control »» Maintain dignity »» Support carers

Here is a list of BHTA (British Healthcare Trades Association) and ISO9000 (an international quality standard) accredited providers in Cornwall:

West Cornwall HSC Mobility, Mobility House, Marsh Lane Industrial Park, Hayle, TR27 5JR Tel: 01736 755 927 | Fax: 01736 756 263 | Open Mon - Fri 9 - 5.30, Sat - 9 - 12. Pro-mobility Ltd, The Old Fire Station, Trengrouse Way, Helston, TR13 8AG Open Mon - Fri 9.30 - 4.30, Sat 9.30 - 12.30 Tel/Fax: 01326 569 494 |

Central Cornwall

Help keep the RightCareIndex free

- please mention us when contacting our advertisers. To advertise in our Cornwall, Devon, Dorset or Somerset Publications or on our website Call us on: 01872 321 327 or email us:


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Tremorvah Industries, Threemilestone Industrial Estate, Threemilestone, Truro, TR4 9LD Tel: 01872 324 340 | Fax: 01872 324 372 Minicom: 01872 324 364 | Open Mon - Fri 9am - 4pm

Please turn the page for more contacts throughout Cornwall >>> on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Care At Home

Cornwall Mobility Centre, Tehidy House, Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske), Truro, TR1 3LJ Open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm. An OT is available. Tel: 01872 254 920 | Fax 01872 254 921 J&P Supplies, 68 Victoria Rd, Mount Charles, St Austell, PL25 4QD Tel: 01726 624 060 | Fax: 01726 71618

North Cornwall Launceston Mobility (Centre), Unit 1 Merchant’s Quay, Pennygillam Industrial Estate, Launceston, PL15 7ED Tel/Fax: 01566 774 030 Open Mon - Fri 9 - 5 , Sat 9.30 - 12.30

West and North Devon Plymouth Pluss Showroom, Mount Gould Hospital, 200 Mount Gould Road, Plymouth, PL4 7PX Tel: 01752 566 485 | Fax: 01752 269 891 Barnstaple Pluss Showroom, Riverside Road, Pottington Business Park, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1QN Tel: 01271 347 934

Counsel & Care Launch of New Guide: What You Need To Know About Telecare & Telehealth Counsel and Care has today (09.12.2010) launched a new guide that can support older people, their families and carers to understand more about telecare, how to get it, and information to help decide if it is the right solution for their needs.

Elizabeth Lodge, Advice Service Manager, Counsel and Care said: “Many older people will need extra support to stay in their homes or to maintain independence. Technological equipment and systems, known as Telecare, whilst not a replacement for one-to-one contact, can provide support and independence for older people. It may help them feel safer and it may help relieve some of the anxieties of their families and carers. The use of Telecare is on the rise. In 2009-2010 the number of older people supported by it increased by 167,685. Therefore it is important that older people have access to the right information about when it is appropriate and how to use Telecare to their advantage. Telecare and Telehealth are popular with clients, families and professionals alike because they can allow people to stay living independently at home for longer, leading to reductions in hospital or residential care admissions along with offering security and confidence for older people and those with long term needs. Today, Telecare is available from local authorities and offers personalised solutions to suit people’s individual circumstances. Copies of Telecare and telehealth: Inform ation from Co unsel and Ca ‘What it is and how to get re: 6 Teleca it’ can be downloaded re and telehe from: is and alth: w h hat it o w http://www. t o g et it As you get old er , you m people ay nee , to hel d onep mee to-one well. A t your uk/category/advice/ care fr lthoug care an om a h it ca d supp person nnot re teleca ort nee , or a re and p ds, an la group ce such pdf/telecare-andtelehea d keep of ca you sa lth that re, ther you sa fe in yo e fe and co is uld pla techno ur hom y lo an lo gy avai telehealth-what-it-ise. It m nger, import la ay also if that b an le t part called is what help yo in help you w u to st ing to This g ish to ay in yo and-how-to-get-itkeep uide g do. ur ow ives yo n hom u info get it e fo r rmatio and in guide-6 n abo format ut w io n to h


We provide care and support in your own home, wherever you live in Cornwall.



We provide personalised services to adults with dementia, mental health needs, physical disabilities, sensory impairment, or those who are in a period of convalescence, respite, or terminally ill.


We offer personal care, support to attend health care and other appointments and enable you to do the things you enjoy, such as shopping, visiting the cinema, attending your favourite event or going for a meal!

We also offer temporary cover for families or other carers to take a break, people requiring personalised services during their holiday in Cornwall or to those who might just need a little companionship, encouragement or reassurance.

Tel: 01726 884 402

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

“peace of mind and practical help for people - love care and safety for pets”

The Cinnamon Trust

The Cinnamon Trust 10 Market Square, Hayle, Cornwall TR27 4HE

Unit 2a Grampound Road Ind Est. Grampound Road, Truro TR2 4TB

lors-of-Grampound.indd 1

hat te

lecare p you Couns and te decide el and lehealt if it is Care is carers h is, h the rig a natio and fa ow to ht solu nal ch milies. donatio arity w tion fo If you n or le or have fo r you. king on aving 020 72 un be a d legacy 41 85 half of our se 55 or in ol rv www.c de ic yo e r peop ur Will using helpfu ounsel le , thei the se . You l, plea andcar cure se can ar r se cons range rvice on ider m uk. either aking our w by tele ebsite phonin a g

01736 757900

The only specialist national charity for people in their last years and their much loved, much needed companion animals. A network of 8,000 volunteers “hold hands” with owners to provide vital loving care for their pets. When staying at home is no longer an option, Pet Friendly Care Homes Register lists residential/nursing homes happy to accept residents with pets. And when a pet is bereaved we take on full time, life time care.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Cinnamon-Trust-8th.indd 1 18/11/2011 10:33


16/11/2011 14:56

Care at Home in Cornwall Care at Home in Central Cornwall


Help At Home

Falmouth, TR11 4EZ 01326 313342

A & D Community Care Truro TR2 4JR 01726 883763

A Caring Touch

Bickland Business Centre, Tregoniggie Ind Estate, Bickland Water Road, Falmouth, TR11 4RS

Home Instead Senior Care

St Agnes TR5 0RD 01872 554422

Alexandra`s Community Care

Threemilestone TR4 9LD 01872 224004

Celtic Care (see advert on the right)

Live Life Care (formally Night Owl Cornwall Ltd.) (see ad on right) Chacewater

Falmouth TR11 4SZ 01326 377779

TR4 8GF 01872 561761

Choice Care

My Choice Homecare

Falmouth TR11 3PP 01326 314642

St Austell PL26 8LG 01726 862613

Fax: 01326 377732

Private Independent Provider of Homecare

Indian Queens TR9 6TL 0845 5191192

Duchy Care Dom Care Agency Newquay TR7 3JD 01637 878637

European Lifestyles Services Ltd St Austell PL25 3EF 07778659953

Newcross Healthcare Solutions Dom Care Agency Truro TR1 2LS 01872 222525

Falmouth TR11 2DA 01326 317580

Forget Me Not Homecare St Austell PL25 4DS 01726 77212

Hartley Home Care (see ad on p43)

Friendly, Sympathetic & Reliable Pendeen Community Care Ltd

North Hill Homecare

Falcare Dom Service & Res Care

Camelford PL32 9QX 01840 213040

Tel: 01326 377779 / 07790295440

St Austell PL25 4BJ 01726 879678

celtic_care.indd 1 Redruth

TR15 3RT 01209 313032

Nursefinders Ltd

Pentowan Home Care

Truro TR1 2PN 01872 270999

Newquay TR7 1HJ 01637 851790

Oasis Community Care Ltd

Qura Brain Injury Services

St Austell PL26 8DW 01726 824611

18/11/2011 10:37

Truro TR1 2HD 01872 273613

Old Roselyon Manor (Dom Care) Par PL24 2DW 01726 814189

RightNurse Care Services Providers of specialist community care

In a position when you or someone close to you requires support to enable independent living at home? To secure only the very best services available for both adults and children, please call for a free assessment with our trained nurse managers with on going supervision and management.

01872 274120 1 Fairmantle Street, Truro TR1 2EG Approved and accredited provider with Cornwall Council Competent staff always required


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Tel: 01872 561761

Agos Acres, Greenbottom, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8GF

Live Life Care, formerly Night Owl Cornwall Ltd is one of the longest established providers of home care services in Cornwall. We are committed to delivering and maintaining the highest quality of home care provision in the Truro, Carnon Downs, Redruth and Camborne Area.

“Committed to delivering the highest quality of home care” • Our experienced team of caring managers and support workers are here to help with any requirements you may have to help you live well at home.

• Our services range from help with personal care needs to assistance with maintaining a varied social network.

• Our aim is to put people first, you decide what you want and we will do our utmost to accommodate.

We welcome people with personal budgets/ direct payments and can offer an extremely flexible service. Our services are all available to self funders, just give our friendly team a call to discuss your individual needs/ requests.

Live Life Care

is an approved provider of domiciliary support with the Cornwall County Council Department of Adult Social Care and Support. We have achieved the highest possible grading for quality of service. Home care visits can make all the difference to assisting our

Service Users to maintain their independence and maximise their quality of life.

General support,

• Our range of home care services includes:• Meal preparation. • Domestic tasks. • Shopping, Pensions, etc • Medication service including picking up prescriptions and assisting with administrating or prompting. • Recuperative care - perhaps upon discharge from hospital. • Transport to hospital, appointments, doctors clinics etc • Night sitting or sleep service

• • • •

Sitting service Social trips, days out Befriending One to one activity sessions.

Personal Care,

• Live Life Care can offer help with all personal care services

For specialist dementia services please go to our sister company advert, Reflections SW CIC,

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details Tel: 01872 561761 |

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


Care At Home

Live Life Care

freedom – to live your life the way you want to For Individual/Personal Budget Holders we offer:

Pbmali^\bZeerl^e^\m^]Zg]mkZbg^]\Zk^klmhZllblmrhn pa^ma^kbm[^Zpbla_hki^klhgZe%]hf^lmb\hklh\bZe \Zk^'Rhn\ahhl^^qZ\merpaZmrhng^^]'P^Zbfmh Zllblmrhnbgebobg`eb_^mhma^_nee'

>fiehr^klniihkm%iZrkhee fZgZ`^f^gm%i^klhgZeZllblmZgm ^fiehrf^gm\a^\dl%<K;%lniihkm ieZggbg`Zg]i^klhgZe[n]`^m fZgZ`^f^gm'




=^ohgZk^ZeZem^kgZmbo^mhk^lb]^gmbZe\Zk^':eee^o^el h_\Zk^lni^kobl^][rZk^`blm^k^]gnkl^'

TrewCare House, Tregoniggie Industrial Estate, Falmouth, Cornwall TR11 4SN email:

RightNurse Care Services (see advert pg 40) Truro TR1 2EG 01872 274120

RV Care Cornwall

Truro TR2 5PD 01872 530222

Spectrum Domiciliary Care Service (see advert pg 59) Penryn TR10 8DB 01326 371000

St Austell Internal Home Care Agency St Austell PL25 5BZ 0300 1234131

St Margaret’s Community Care Ltd Fraddon TR9 6LX 01726 861487

Stayathome Limited

Truro TR2 5ND 01872 580264

Taylors of Grampound Ltd. (see ad pg 39) Truro TR2 4TB 01726 884402

The Rowans Domiciliary Care Agency Truro TR5 0UY 01872 553295


St Columb Mjr TR9 6ST 01637 889140

Trewcare Domiciliary Care Ltd. (see advert above) Falmouth TR11 4SN 01326 375949

Victoria Domiciliary Care Agency St Austell PL25 4QW 01726 74991

Care at Home in North Cornwall

Lanhydrock Care

At Home Pendennis Care Agency

Liskeard Care Ltd.

Wadebridge PL27 7NE 01208 816091

Liskeard PL14 3AG 01579 348777

Atlantis Domiciliary Care

Liskeard Internal Home Care Agency

Polperro PL13 2JE 01503 272243

Liskeard PL14 6BY 01579 342919

Bodmin Internal Home Care Agency

Mencap Support Service - Mid Cornwall

Bodmin PL31 2AD 01208 74491

Bodmin PL31 2DG 01726 65677

Bowden-Derra Dom Support Services

Mencap Support Service North & East Cornwall

Bodmin PL31 1AH 01208 73904

Launceston PL15 7PS 01566 86230

Bodmin PL31 2DG 01566 772299

Carers Break Service

Moorecare Home Care Services

Bodmin PL31 2DL 01208 73923

Eldon House Domiciliary Care Liskeard PL14 5AJ 01579 362686

Fernleigh House Domiciliary Care Gunnislake PL18 9AJ 01822 832926

Four Seasons Domiciliary Care Torpoint PL11 2NF 01752 815727

Liskeard PL14 3UT 01579324114

Morwenner Care Agency Bodmin PL30 5LP 01208 832900

Pendrea Homecare

Bodmin PL31 2BN 01208 74338

Restgarth Domiciliary Care Ltd. Polperro PL13 2PW 01503 272026

Greenbank Care

Rowan House Dom Care Agency

Liskeard PL14 3DP 01579 347794

Hartley Home Care (see ad on page 43)

Truro TR1 2TE 01872 278533

Camelford PL32 9QX 01840 213040

United Response Dom Care Agency

Hillsborough Care Dom Care Agency


Home Farm Trust Dom Care

Wadebridge PL27 6HB 01208 815614

Truro Internal Home Care Agency

Truro TR4 9LD 01872 224009


Saltash PL12 4BY 01752 843843

Safe & Sound Dom Care Agency Bodmin PL31 2PW 01208 72155

Callington PL27 7ER 01579 383138

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Carers Break Service

Saltash PL12 6LE 01752 840059

Camborne TR14 8SU 01209 612521

Sunshine Care Ltd

Caresta Ltd [Trading as West Cornwall Care]

Plymouth PL3 4BB 01752 242454

The Brandon Trust Dom Care Service Bodmin PL31 1RB 01208 72143

Torcare Ltd. Dom Care Agency Torpoint PL11 2BW 01752 813677

United Care Concepts Ltd Saltash PL12 6BA 01752 313021

United Response

Callington PL17 7SH 01579 559415

Westcountry Home Care Ltd Launceston PL15 9LR 01566 775960

Care at Home in West Cornwal

Penzance TR20 8HL 01736 333177

Carol Spinks Homecare

Polsloe Community Care Redruth TR15 2JG 01209 215337

PRC Outreach Services

Penzance TR18 3PN 01736 360039

Premier Healthcare Solutions

Saltash PL12 6JL 01752 844832

Hayle TR27 4HD 01736 448263 (see ad on pg58)

Coastline Care

Proper Care (Cornwall) Ltd

Camborne TR14 8ST 01209 715244

Helston TR13 8RR 01326 560973

Kernow Home Care Ltd

Prospects for People with Learning Disablities

Penzance TR19 7AH 01736 787080

Mencap Support Service Hayle TR27 4NX 01736 367381

MSS Care (see ad on pg58)

Helston TR12 6PP 01326 281301

Penhellis Community Care Ltd

Camborne TR14 7DH 01209 212110

South Western Homecare Helston TR13 9TS 01736 761899

Tamarisk Care Agency, Hayle Hayle TR27 4PH 01736 752187

Allied Healthcare Group - Penzance

(see ad on inside front cover) Helston TR13 0LW 01326 572626

The D.O.V.E Project

Penzance TR18 4BN 01736 364530

Calton House Dom Care Agency

Penzance Internal Home Care Agency Penzance TR18 3QQ 01736 365714

Thyme Care Ltd

Camborne TR14 8AZ 01209 611888

Camborne Internal Home Care Agency

Phoenix Care Cornwall Ltd

Camborne TR14 8SL 01872 327081

Penzance TR20 8UD 01736 360197

l be cared l a l fo e’l

way his rt

One da yw

Hartley Home Care

A discrete and affordable service provided at home by professional carers. Tel: 01840 213294 | Fax: 01840 211462 Penclease House, Clease Road, Camelford, Cornwall, PL32 9QX Email: Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Care At Home

Scope Inclusion Domiciliary Care

Camborne TR14 8DY 01209 612494

Penzance TR18 2TA 01736 369090

Trelawney Dom Care Agency Redruth TR15 1SS 01209 218377

AskSARA Cornwall Council have partnered with the national charity Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) to provide a quick and easy to use, online guided advice service called AskSARA, which will assist anyone who finds that they have difficulties with everyday tasks. AskSARA works in three easy steps: • You choose a topic relating to your health, your home or daily living activities • You are asked some questions • You are given advice and product suggestions through a personalised report. AskSARA consists of: »» Expert advice written by DLF’s team of occupational therapists »» Case studies about how products can help you stay independent »» Signposting to relevant services provided by both public and private organisations »» Details of products that might help you, guide prices and where you can obtain them The advice in AskSARA is accredited by The Information Standard – a quality filter which helps people to identify reliable and trustworthy sources of information. By trying out this service you have not affected any right you may have to an assessment via Adult Care and Support. You can email Adult Care & Support direct (, or speak to someone by telephoning 0300 1234 131 if you wish to make a referral. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details



SAFEHOMECALL A Daily Phone Call for Peace of Mind! Supporting Independence Supporting Famillies Supporting Carers Safe Home Call is a 7 days a week, 365 days a year telephone monitoring service for peace of mind and to ensure older members are safe and well whilst living independently in their own homes. One telephone call per day at an agreed time to determine you or your family member is safe and well. We can work in place of, or in support of existing home care services

For more information

Telephone: 01209 890 435 Email:

Visit us at: 44

Care choices have you at a loss? Call Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details on 01872 321 327 or see page 87 for more details


Nursing Agencies

Nursing Agencies Nursing Agencies

Nursing Agencies in Cornwall

Nurses agencies send nurses to visit you at home when you need specialist or medical care, usually after leaving hospital. The frequency of the visits can vary from several times a day to once a week. About 95% of the nurses supplied by nurses agencies are provided to people in hospital or a care home. However, some nurses are provided to people in their own home.

Newcross Healthcare Solutions Ltd

14-15 Lemon Street, Ground Floor, Truro, TR1 2LS Tel: 01872 222525

There are two types of nurses agency: »» The first type simply acts as an employment or introductory agency which places self-employed nurses into employment with people who need nursing help at home. »» The other type of agency employs, trains and supervises its own staff.


72 Lemon Street, Truro, TR1 2PN Tel: 01872 270999

© Care Quality Commission (CQC), Tel: 03000 616161 |

We care about... ...your well-being!

Staffing Solutions

Scope Inc Nurses Agency

Unit 2, Bridge Court, Kingsmill Road, Saltash, PL12 6LE Tel: 01752 840059

Trewcare Nursing & Home Care Trewcare House, (see advert on page 42) Tregoniggie Ind Est, Bickland Water Rd, Falmouth, TR11 4SN Tel: 01326 375949

We specialise in... ...Permanent placement of qualified healthcare professionals!

staffing solutions

Sunshine Live-in Care Live-in Care is a 24hour, seven days per week, nancially benecial, home care solution; that allows you or your loved one to continue to stay in your own home in familiar, relaxed surroundings. When selecting our highly-trained personnel we take into account their ability to communicate clearly (in English) and their demeanour and approach. They will be living in your home, with their own bedroom. Our care planning is person-centred and so we adapt our support to provide a bespoke quality care service.

Sunshine Care Staffing Solutions Our health and social care stafng solutions make us unbeatable in the South West. Permanent Stafng Solutions for Indiviuals • Sunshine Personnel only charges 4% of annual salary as an introduction fee for permanent introductions of Personal Assistants (PA’s). • This solution is ideal if you are in receipt of Direct Payments or an Individual Budget and wish to employ a Personal Assistant (PA) who is trained and police-checked. • Our agency consultants work closely with clients; so we understand individual needs.

Our team of friendly, efcient and professional consultants have years of experience and a wealth of knowledge in the healthcare recruitment industry. We only supply the very best dedicated, reliable and compassionate candidates to clients that require high standards. We provide temporary and permanent stafng solutions. We can supply you with permanent healthcare staff for as little as 5% of annual salary. Contact us to nd out how we can supply the expertise you need at a price you desire.

Respite care at home For certain individuals Live-in Care can be a better form of respite care. We enable you or your loved one to stay independent in familiar, relaxed surroundings with your comfortable routines. For those that value their independence, Live-in Care is the popular solution of choice.


0845 2600 670

Contact us if you know someone who would like care in their own home.

Tel: 0800 1777 004




Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Member on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Carers From the census in 2001, in Carers Assessment & Cornwall alone, 55,000 people, Carers Grants 10% of the population are carers. Carers have a legal right to an assessment of their needs, a Carer’s Assessment. DACS have a legal responsibility to carry out this assessment Nationally, carers save the which gives the carer an opportunity to discuss their needs and the things government £87billion a year. Many that could help in their role as a carer. It could also influence the care provided to the “cared for”. It may also lead to a Carer’s Grant carers experience ill health, financial services which could provide, for example, a break. All the Carers Support Services listed, can assist carers in making a referral for a Carers Assessment. disadvantage and fatigue so it is Benefits for Carers essential that they can access The person you care for may qualify or be in receipt of Disability Living information, advice and support at Allowance or Attendance Allowance. As a carer you may be entitled to Carers Allowance or Carers Premium if the person you care for is the earliest opportunity to enable getting one of the benefits above. There are a number of agencies that can advise you on benefits as well as the Carers Support Services. them to get help at the right time and ease their caring role. Other Information for Carers

Help and Care

A Carers Information Pack is produced by Dept Adult Care and Support (DACS) and Cornwall Rural Community Council (CRCC). This can be obtained by calling 01872 243531 or viewed on their website

“Help and Care is a charity focussed on helping people get the best from life – particularly those people who need more support than others like people in their later life, people who care for someone or people less able to assert themselves in the world.

The Carers Register is held by DACS, CRCC and CCVS and keeps

Help and Care’s name speaks for itself; it will help people and care for them. It will do this based on a clear set of values that embrace the principles of equality and respect.

Freephone (UK landline) - 0808 802 02 02

Help and Care performs many functions with a ‘can do’ attitude. It will not be deterred by every day challenges; at a national level in its role as influencer of policy or for local people as it provides a day to day service. Help and Care will ensure that the people it serves are empowered to make choices and speak out for themselves and their communities. Help and Care will continue to grow in order that it can help more people, more often and across more of the country. It will do this by being a fair employer and taking an open approach to communication about its aspirations, intentions and challenges. Help and Care will work as efficiently as possible seeking to make best use of its income whether generated by trading or from contract funding. It will take responsibility for the outputs of its services and use customer feedback, in whatever form, to continually ensure that it is serving its customers well.” Help and Care Head Office, The Pokesdown Centre, 896 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6DL Telephone: 0300 111 3303 | Text phone: 01202 416047 ©Crown Copyright


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

carers up to date on new developments and information on carer’s issues in Cornwall. Carers News is produced 3 times a year and is sent out to all carers on the register. Join the register by calling: 01872 323640/1 or contact one of the carers support services. Service for carers.

Monica Thomas, Carers Support Manager, CRCC, Tel: 01872 243531

Carers Partnership Board Is made up of carers, representatives of organisations and agencies which have a stake in supporting carers. Carers are full and equal partners with every other member of the Board. All types of carers are represented except for drug and alcohol and black minority ethnic groups which we are actively seeking. The aim is to establish local carers’ forums in the 22 one stop areas which will elect their own carer representatives in the future. All carers are welcome to attend Carers Partnership Board meetings as observers. The minutes will be displayed on If you would like any further information please contact Heather Eardley, Independent facilitator on 01395 568727 or email

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Carers UK provides high quality advice and information to carers and the professionals who support carers. We do this through our website, information booklets, factsheets and through mailings to our members. We also have an advice line which is staffed by experts and has many years experience of dealing with the problems carers face. We provide free and confidential information and advice on: »» benefits and tax credits »» carers employment rights »» carers assessments »» the services available for carers, and how to complain effectively and challenge decisions. Our freephone number is 0808 808 7777 and we are open on Wednesday and Thursday 10am -12pm and 2pm - 4pm. You can email us at Please note that we are a small expert team and are often very busy. We will try to answer your email as soon as possible but we may not be able to do so on the same day. If English is not your first language we can provide you with an interpreter and our advisers can also be contacted through typetalk. Alternatively, you can write to us or send us a fax: Carers UK, 20 Great Dover Street, London, SE1 4LX Fax: 020 7378 9781 ©Crown Copyright

Carers UK Carers UK is the voice of the UK’s six million carers. That’s six million people who give up their time and energy to look after someone in need, quite often to the detriment of their own health. Carers give so much to society yet as a consequence of caring, they can experience ill health, poverty and discrimination. Carers UK is fighting to raise awareness of the true value of carers’ contribution to society and to ensure they get the practical, financial and emotional support they need. We are here to provide information and advice for carers, and we believe telecare could be a fantastic source of support for them. Telecare has been heralded as one of the key elements in modernising and transforming care services, harnessing technology to provide greater choice about services and supporting the right to live at home. Telecare has huge potential, and recently has been pushed to the forefront of the minds of government, service providers, service users and carers. Telecare services are transforming the lives of carers, by giving them 24 hour peace of mind and reassurance. It is this peace of mind that makes telecare so unique. Please see page 35-36 for more information about assistive technology, including telehealth and telecare.


Carers UK Advice Line

Contacts for Carers Carers Break Service Community Centre, South Terrace, Camborne, TR14 8SS Tel: 01209 612 521

Carers Partnership Board -made up of carers, representatives of organisations and agencies which have a stake in supporting carers. Carers are full and equal partners with every other member of the Board. The Carers Partnership Board has, over the last year, been working with carers and providers to develop and improve services and raise awareness of carers issues in Cornwall. c/o Naomi Wakeley, Old County Hall, Station Road, Truro, TR1 3AY Tel: 0300 1234 131 or 01872 322743 Carers rights

Carers & Service Users Unit 2, 22 Fore St, St. Stephen, St. Austell PL26 7NN Tel: 01726 823515

Carers support groups There are carers support groups throughout the county. These are variously supported by voluntary organisations such as Help and Care, or specialist agencies such as the Alzheimer’s Society, the Multiple Sclerosis Society and Age concern. Some are supported by national carers’ organisations such as Carers UK. These support groups are a valuable channel for communication with grass roots carers.

Carers’ Support Service in Cornwall CRCC Carers’ Support Service - The service provides advice, information and support to carers of people with a physical or learning disability, people with dementia and frail older people. They also support 20 carers support groups. Tel: 01872 243531  |

CCVS Mental Health Carers’ Support Project The service provides support to carers of an adult (18-65) with a mental health condition and runs support groups for this group of carers. Tel: 01209 613456

ORIGO - Supports older carers (70+) of someone with a learning disability. Tel: 01872 264057 CRCC Young Carers Project – Offers support and activities for young people (up to 18 years) caring for an adult. Tel: 01209 614956

©Crown Copyright

Imelda Redmond, Chief Executive, Carers UK Carersline: 0808 808 7777 |

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Dementia Carers Support Workers – Support for carers of a people with dementia in the west of Cornwall. Tel: 0300 1234 131

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Legal Services There are many sources of free legal information and advice; for example, you may be able to find the information you need through a helpline or on the Internet. In some situations you will need to see a solicitor, but you may be able to get the help you need from an advice agency or another organisation. Organising your affairs One of the commonest reasons older people look for legal advice is to set up formal arrangements to organise their affairs. These include Wills‚ to establish what happens to your estate after your death; estate planning during your lifetime‚ to minimise tax liabilities and achieve any other objectives you have; and arrangements to manage your affairs if you no longer have the mental capacity to do so yourself. Seeking professional advice As a general rule you do not need a solicitor to validate any formal documentation but you should consider how comfortable you are dealing with these matters and also what the consequences will be if you make a mistake. Solicitors and other professionals usually have insurance that you can claim against if they commit an error. If you do the work yourself‚ you will not have this protection.

Walsh & Company Solicitors

Free legal advice Advice agencies: You may not need to go to a solicitor to get the advice and assistance you need. Using a solicitor can be very expensive. A general advice agency such as your local Age Concern or Age UK, Citizens Advice Bureau‚ or another independent advice agency‚ may be able to provide free information and advice to help you resolve your problem. They can sometimes also provide specialist advice and representation. If not‚ they should be able to refer you on to someone else who can help. (Please see the information section for direct telephone numbers for your area.) Trade unions: If you are a member of a trade union you may be able to get free legal advice through the union‚ and not just on issues relating to your employment. You should contact your union to find out what they can offer. Financial advice: Access to legal advice is also offered as a benefit of some bank accounts‚ insurance policies and other products. Check the terms and conditions of any you hold to see whether you qualify for such a service. Law Centres: Law Centres provide free independent legal advice from solicitors‚ in areas of social welfare law such as welfare rights‚ discrimination law‚ housing‚ employment and community care. ©Age UK Getting legal advice There are many reasons why you may want to seek legal advice. For example: if you are buying a house, making a will or setting up arrangements to manage relative’s financial affairs. When choosing an advisor it is important to check they have experience in the problem or issue you want help with and they are suitable qualified to offer you the assistance you need. The following may be able to either advise you or help you find a suitable advisor. Commercial Solicitors/Barristers deal with a range of legal matters. However not all private firms cover all types of work. Some may offer free legal advice and representation through the legal aid scheme. There are several bodies you could approach to find a lawyer. »»

We can assist you in all matters relating to Wills, Probate, Lasting Powers of Attorney, Long Term Care, Court of Protection work and all elderly client issues. We offer home visits if required. Chancery House, Visicks Yard, Perranarworthal, Truro, Cornwall, TR3 7NR Telephone: (01872) 870923 , Fax: (01872) 865058 DX 81239 Truro Email:


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

»» »»

Solicitors for the Elderly are a national organisation of lawyers, who specialise in advising older people, their family and carer. Tel: 0870 067 0282 www.solicitorsforthelderly The Solicitors Regulatory Authority (SRA) can give you details of solicitors in your area including the areas of law they practice. Tel: 0870 606 2555


Community Legal Advice is a government funded helpline which offers free legal advice, in connection with partner organisations, to people who qualify for legal aid. The Community Legal Advice Service is affiliated with Counsel and Care. Lines are open: MonFri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-12:30pm Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back. General Advice line: 0845 345 4345 or find a solicitor tel: 0845 608 1122


Mind’s Legal Advice Service provides legal information and advice on mental health related law: mental health, community care, capacity, discrimination/equality and human rights. Tel: 0845 2259393 Mind LAS, PO Box 277, Manchester, M60 3XN ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Meal Provision

Meal Provision Eat Well, Live Well These practical tips can help you make healthier choices. The two keys to a healthy diet are eating the right amount of food for how active you are and eating a range of foods to make sure you’re getting a balanced diet. 1.

Base your meals on starchy foods – Starchy foods should make up about a third of the food we eat. They are a good source of energy and the main source of a range of nutrients in our diet. As well as starch, these foods contain fibre, calcium, iron and B vitamins.

2. Eat lots of fruit and veg – Try to eat at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and veg every day. It might be easier than you think. You can choose from fresh, frozen, tinned, dried or juiced, but remember potatoes count as a starchy food, not as portions of fruit and veg. 3. Eat more fish – Most of us should be eating more fish including a portion of oily fish each week. It’s an excellent source of protein and contains many vitamins and minerals. Aim for at least two portions of fish a week, including a portion of oily fish. You can choose from fresh, frozen or canned - but remember that canned and smoked fish can be high in salt.

6. Get active and try to be a healthy weight –It’s not a good idea to be either underweight or overweight. If you’re worried about your weight, ask your GP or a dietitian for advice. 7.

Drink plenty of water – We should be drinking about 6 to 8 glasses (1.2 litres) of water, or other fluids, every day to stop us getting dehydrated.

8. Alcohol – Alcohol is also high in calories, so cutting down could help you control your weight. Women can drink up to 2 to 3 units of alcohol a day and men up to 3 to 4 units a day, without significant risk to their health. 9. Don’t skip breakfast – Breakfast can help give us the energy we need to face the day, as well as some of the vitamins and minerals we need for good health. Missing meals doesn’t help us lose weight and it isn’t good for us, because we can miss out on essential nutrients. ©

4. Cut down on saturated fat and sugar – we need some fat in our diets. What is important is the kind of fat we are eating. Try to cut down on food that is high in saturated fat and have foods that are rich in unsaturated fat instead, such as vegetable oils, oily fish, avocados, nuts and seeds.

Delicious Meals

5. Try to eat less salt – no more than 6g a day. Remember to check the label to find out the figure for salt per 100g. High is more than 1.5g salt per 100g (or 0.6g sodium) Low is 0.3g salt or less per 100g (or 0.1g sodium)


Deliveries throughout Cornwall

The complete home meals service At Oakhouse Foods we provide quality home delivered meals, desserts and groceries at affordable prices.

you a delicious hot meal with the minimum of fuss.

Our freshly frozen meals are simple to cook straight from the freezer giving

Our convenient grocery range also offers over 300 household essentials from breakfast cereals to bathroom cleaner.

Please send me: ■ Oakhouse Foods brochures (amount) ■ Oakhouse Foods audio brochures (amount)

More information about your grocery service Please contact me to arrange a food demonstration

■ ■

Name: .........................................................................................................................................


Organisation:.............................................................................................................................. Address: ..................................................................................................................................... ......................................................................Postcode: ............................................................. Phone number: ...................................... email: ...................................................................

With no minimum order, no obligation and regular deliveries you can simply order as and when you want to. For more information call us on the number below or return the coupon to us.

Please send coupon to:

Oakhouse Foods Pitts Cleave, Tavistock, Devon PL19 0PW

Q Care u a choices l i t y have f you o o atda loss? f o Call r independent

✆ 0845 257 1132

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details



Wiltshire Farm Foods offers a nutritious and convenient range of soft and puréed meals? BALANCED,













Look good, taste good and ready in minutes Prices


At Wiltshire for Farm Foods, we believe that everyone should be able to enjoy tasty, nutritious frozen and tempting meals, delivered direct to their door. However, those unable for to chew, swallow and digest ordinary meals properly have traditionally been unable to experience attractive, flavour-filled food.

Prices you

Sue Baic

sc RD Consultant DM ietitian


PRICE DESSERTS To solve this problem, our chefs have developed a range of texture-modified FROM FREEZE PRICE (Categories C &DESSERTS D) meals that will tempt even the poorest appetites.


75p 75p FROM

Featuring over 50 meals and desserts, the range delivers colourful, tasty and nutritious meals - so no matter what their individual requirements or preferences, your patients, clients and customers can enjoy a wholesome, tasty choice every time.

“Our range of texture-

modified meals is visually appealing and doesn’t compromise on flavour and nutrition. This means our customers are likely to eat, aiding recovery and well-being.

Sue Baic Msc RD

Consultant Dietitian to apetito & Wiltshire Farm Foods

Chocolate sponge and Vanilla Sauce £1

Chicken Curry with white rice, broccoli and cauliflower £3.45

Fish in Creamy Sauce with mashed potato & carrots £4.25

To order your FREE brochure call

0800 773 773


Care choices have you at a loss? Call on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Age Concern

01736 788265

Penzance, St Just & Pendeen

Atlantis Care Home

01503 272243



01726 66892

Polgooth, St Austell

Cafe 7 Meals On Wheels

07502 365172

01566 773049


Eats Cafe

01566 773363


Fine Dining

01637 872323


Hillsborough Domiciliary Care

01579 383138


Nicols Meal Delivery Service

01637 850891

Pen Inney

01566 782318


Pennyâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s West Country Kitchen

01326 572626

Helston, Camborne, Redruth, Penzance

01326 373502


St Margarets Nursing Home

01726 861487


Supreme Cuisine Tamara Residential Home Torpoint

01752 815725

Torcare Ltd.

01752 813677


Trewiston Lodge

0845 257 1132

01208 863488

Wiltshire Farm Foods 0800 773773

Tavistock, Delivers All Over Cornwall (see advert on page 49)

Falmouth, Delivers All Over Cornwall (see advert left)

Pendrea Homecare



01208 74338

Eating opportunities Open the door the rest of your life... A warm welcome awaits you at each of the Care and Social Clubs where you can relax, meet new friends, enjoy a freshly prepared meal, have some fun and have a great day out in a home-from-home atmosphere. Located at Falmouth, Newquay, Truro, and St Austell the clubs pride themselves on striving to cater for everyone, there are new skills to be learned, a wide range of services to make you look and feel good. Here you can meet new friends and have fun. Transport is not problem as it is available if required.

01579 347346


St Minver, Wadebridge


Oakhouse Foods



Hayle (West Cornwall only)

Cedar Grange

Penhellis Community 01326 572626 Care Ltd

Among the services offered are: Nutritional home-cooked meals, Rehabilitation, Refreshments, Entertainment, Bathing facilities, and Personal care. The Care and Social Clubs are ideal for those people who wish to maintain an independent lifestyle living in their own home but also enjoying the benefit of a varied social life.

Call: 01872 266388

01209 218179


A healthy balanced diet contain a variety of foods including plenty of fruit and vegetables, plenty of starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, wholegrain cereals, pasta rice, some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and lentils and some dairy foods. It should also be low in fat (especially saturated fat), salt and sugar.

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Meal Provision

Age Concern

Meal Providers

Learning Disabilities Included is information about life enhancing opportunities for training in Cornwall. Information on accessing service and listings for learning disability providers, supported living and Care Homes. Valuing People Now NHS Learning Disabilities Services

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) provides a range of specialist learning disabilities services across the county. These include: »» Specialist Adult Learning Disability Service »» Intensive Support Team »» Neuropsychiatry, Epilepsy and Memory Services The Specialist Adult Learning Disability Service is a community based service that provides assessment, treatment and support for people with a learning disability. There are two teams, one in the East and one in the West of Cornwall. The services are provided by health professionals including; speech and language therapists, dieticians, doctors, psychologists, occupational therapists, nurses and support workers, art and music therapists. Support, advice and training is also provided to families, care providers and other health services so they can work better with people with a learning disability. The Intensive Support Team provides extra support for adults with learning disabilities (aged 18 and over) at home during a crisis, for a limited period. They may also have complex or severe behavioural issues, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, mental health issues or their circumstances may require an urgent response. Referral to the Intensive Support Team is via Specialist Adult Learning Disabilities Services. The Neuropsychiatry, Epilepsy and Memory Services work with both the East and West adult teams, Intensive Support Team, general and specialist health services, families and other care providers. Referral to Specialist Adult Learning Disabilities Services is via the Access Team on 0300 1234 131.

Contact Information East Specialist Adult Learning Disability Service, Unit 10, Bodmin Business Centre, Harleigh Rd, Bodmin, PL31 1AH Tel: 01208 79525 West Specialist Adult Learning Disability Service, Trengweath, Penryn Street, Redruth, TR15 2SP Tel: 01209 219251 Intensive Support Team / Neuropsychiatry, Epilepsy and Memory Services, Chy Govenek, Threemilestone Industrial Estate, Threemilestone, Truro, TR4 9LD Tel: 01872 358700


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Valuing People Now is the Government’s 3-year strategy (big plan) to improve the lives of people with learning disabilities and their families. It covers all aspects of life, including health, housing, getting a paid job, personalisation, transition, advocacy, hate crime and relationships. The vision remains in Valuing People Now is that all people with a learning disability are people first with the right to lead their lives like any others, with the same opportunities and responsibilities, with the same dignity and respect. This strategy is inclusive of those groups who are least often heard and most often excluded. These groups include: »» people with more complex needs »» people from black, and minority ethnic groups and newly arrived communities. »» people with autistic spectrum conditions; and »» people who are offenders in custody and in the community. Making it happen requires leadership at all levels. The Valuing People Now team below is working to support the implementation of Valuing People Now, nationally, regionally and locally. DH Publications Orderline, PO BOX 777, London SE1 6XH

Partnership Board

Who is on the Partnership Board Following the launch of Valuing People Now, all Partnership Boards across the country are going to have more formal work to do and so we will have to change how we do things. To find out more please look at Who is on the LDPB. Meetings: We want to make sure we get the work done and reach more people where they live. These are the kinds of meetings we are going to have: »» Cornwall Learning Disability Partnership Board Core Team – 6 meetings a year »» Leadership Group – Meeting every month »» Big Partnership Board – Meeting every 6 months »» LDPB Local ‘Roadshow’ Events – 2 meetings a year in each area »» Locality Partnership Forums »» LDPB Communications Group – Meets every 2 months

For more information contact: C/o Debbie Croucher, Adult Care and Support, Old County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY Tel: 01736 711 891 or call 0300 1234 131 and ask for the Learning Disability Partnership Board

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

The British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD) is a national charity committed to improving the quality of life for the 1.2 million people in the UK with a learning disability.

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities works to promote the rights, quality of life and opportunities of people with learning disabilities and their families. We do this by working with people with learning disabilities, their families and the people who support them. We carry out research, promote the rights of people with learning disabilities, improve services and spread knowledge and information.

We work with government agencies and other organisations to help shape UK policy and strategic thinking, contributing to a shared vision of better services. We also carry out research on topics of national interest and publish our findings through conferences and workshops, publications and policy development.

Learning Disabilities

Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities


All about people – books from BILD

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities is part of the Mental Health Foundation, a national charity, and operates as a directorate within the charity. 2009 marked the 60th anniversary of the Mental Health Foundation. We are a member of the Learning Disability Coalition with 14 other leading disability charities.

We encourage the development of advocacy for people with learning disabilities by supporting local advocacy groups and carrying out reviews and evaluations of advocacy provision.

We provide education and training for care staff and managers, professionals, family carers and people with a learning disability. Many of our resources and services are mapped to the Learning Disability Awards Framework (LDAF).

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities believes it is important that people with learning disabilities can take part in daily life where they live. We are working to make sure that they have interesting things to do during the day.

Our Quality Network helps commissioners and providers to measure outcomes – what life is really like for people who use services – and to use their findings to improve services. People with learning disabilities take part in assessing the services they use.

Current projects: Community Connecting: this programme is about working with individuals and the people close to them to find out their strengths, talents and interests. It goes beyond simply helping people to be in the community and aims to make people part of their community.

We publish books, training materials and journals to improve practice among professionals and to help adults and children with a learning disability achieve a better quality of life. We also offer information and resources on all aspects of learning disability policy and practice.

Learning for Leadership: this programme will provide Understanding autism

a comprehensive framework for participants to develop their knowledge, skills and behaviour to become innovative leaders. Positive behaviour support People with learning disabilities are increasingly taking on leadership roles and positions where they create and influence change.

©Crown Copyright

‘Welcome to BILD’ We have an leaflet, ‘Welcome to BILD’ which gives an introduction to our work, you can download it as a pdf document. Available from: docs/02introduction/This%20is%20 BILD.pdf

Contact: British Institute of Learning Disabilities Campion House, Green Street, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 1JL Tel: 01562 723 010 Email: |



ng to


me to

Health and well-being

Life in the Community: a project focusing on community


ove th THAN K YO e qual U for to find ity of out abo taking the Institu life of tim ut the te of British e people Learni The ou BILD’s ng Dis with le work tcomes abilitie more has nev arning s. we w needed er bee  I ma disabi the Joi ant fo than n ke ev it is now nt Par lities r peop eryda  I ma Comm liament . As y choic ittee le’s liv ke im on Hu ary es. made po ab es rta ma ou cle nt de t my people ar, the hum n Rights cision life.  Pe s with ople an rig learni are vio hts of ng dis respe treat me lated abilitie with ct. every As we s  I tak day. ll, rec e part ent inv such in ev activi as estiga eryda ties. tions Ombud the Health y  I ha Servi sm ve ce into the an’s ‘Six Lives’ relati friendships deaths learni report onships and of peo ng  I am . ple wit treatm disabilitie h pa s rec ent in eiving commu rt of my expose hospit local nit al, hav d neg y.  I ge discrim lect, abuse, e t the inatio chance That n and  Peop is wh indiffe to wo le y BIL that a rence. rk. views listen to my human D has dec . is cen ided family  I am tral to rights fra ’s mewo our fut saf rk BILD ure wo abuse. e from bu bel rk. llying the vie ieves tha  I ge and t listeni ws and t help people ng to experi to sta with ences y healt learni and the of ng dis hy. ir fam Human abilitie to dev ily car s elopin ers is rig g effect centra hts — At BIL While l ive ser at the D we we do vices. believ with develo this in heart learni e tha ping our wo of all t peo ng effect their practic rk in ple ive pol BILD's familie disabilitie e, as s and icy s hav be abl we confer work e, and e ences, ll using our and sho basis, to enjoy on publica events the sam an equ uld tions and as eve advice to al ryone e human and demspread goo rights commit els benefit d s of bes onstrate ted to e. We are becaus the work wo t pra rk hard e we in thi ctice, to s want learni effect we als people area ng dis ive and ensure we o abi have valued with memb inform lities an ership equally to ed in the word to hel , partici be ir as we p spr pate ll. ead the treate communit ies and fully If you d would respec with dignit be BILD y and like to t. me becom Recen 010 or mber call ea t work 0156 visit our Menta 2 723 has foc www.b websi l Capac used te De on ity to hea .uk. I privat ring fro loo ion of Act and the the Safeg Libert m you k forward uards . and we y been comple have called ting a also Heari projec ng fro Heard t m wh BILD’s compla ich focuse the Seldom first Hu s on int confer man not use s for peo ence ple wh was hel Rights Keith We hav words to o d in Ma Smith commu do e bee rch Chief the wo nicate fundin n suc Execut rk cessfu . g ive and als we have l in a month applicatio alr n for o projec an 18 budget look at how eady don BME t, Exc (Bl s are ellence individ e from worki Advoc ack and Eth ual in BME ng for acy, nic Min commu people which plans nities includ will bui ority) . e wo Fut rights ld on and hea rk on hum ure update an lth, loo s on k out our we for bsite.

inclusion for people with high support needs. This project looks at Developing theparticipation. workforce new approaches to day activities and community

National Advisory Group on Learning Disabilities People’s life stories and Ethnicity: a national group which focuses on policy development, working closely with other organisations and bringing together people who areCommunication leading work in this area. is a ©Crown Copyright

human right

Practical support for

better lives

The BILD Guides

CHOICE WILL HELP YOU TO DO THINGS NEAR TO WHERE YOU LIVE CHOICE WILL HELP YOU PLAN WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE CHOICE is a pioneering day provision for adults with learning disabilities living the in the West Cornwall area.

the right to a locally based person centred provision that will increase their choice and opportunities in all aspects of their daily life, including CHOICE subscribes to the evenings and weekends. belief that people with We work to reduce social Learning Disabilities have isolation by supporting Care choices have you at a loss? Call

people to develop friendships in their own communities. To enable people to experience the same opportunities, successes and failures as For more information contact others and empower people Jacqui Barr or Mandy Cross on to plan and lead their own 01209 211967 or e-mail: activities and projects. on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Aspergers - Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASC) In November 2009 the Government passed the Autism Act covering all people with an Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC), including people with Aspergers Syndrome.

Update – June 2010

Next Steps »» The plan sets out actions for national, regional and local bodies to take forward in 2010/11. »» Plans for 2011/12 and 2012/13 will be published by the end of this year. As a result of the Autism Act, later this year the Government will also publish guidance for local authorities and health bodies in England, which will tell them what they must provide, by law, for people with autism. The Government will be consulting publicly about what should be in this guidance.

National Developments

©Crown Copyright

There have been 3 key publications over the last 6 months: »» The Autism Act was passed by Parliament in November 2009. It required the Department of Health (DH) to issue a national strategy and guidance for NHS bodies and Local Authorities on the support they should provide for people with an ASC. »» Following a lengthy consultation period, the DH published the National ASC Strategy “Fulfilling and Rewarding Lives” in March 2010. The strategy sets out proposals for: better awareness of ASC; diagnostic provision; access to services; personalisation (personal budgets); work; and local capacity building. It required each locality to develop a commissioning strategy. A national first year delivery plan for the implementation of the strategy was published in April 2010.

ARC - a national membership

This delivery plan for the adult autism strategy: »» Sets out how the Department will check that the implementation of the strategy is actually happening on the ground. »» Makes it clear that people with autism and parents/ carers should be involved in the development of regional and local plans on autism services. »» Restates the importance of local leads on autism (both local commissioning leads and leads on diagnosis and assessment). »» Explains the support the Department of Health will provide to local areas in implementing the strategy. »» Sets out plans for a national autism awareness campaign. »» Sets out plans for developing training of frontline staff.

organisation with a local presence. ARC supports providers of services to people with a learning disability to promote real change. Join ARC Cornwall! Our members’ services include daytime and leisure activities, support to people in their own homes, residential services, training for employment, special schools and colleges, staff training and information and advice. We: »» campaign on behalf of members »» promote best practice in services »» provide information and support to our members ARC Cornwall holds quarterly meetings across the county. The meetings are great for networking, getting the latest news and insights, and a chance to meet influential figures from the local authority, Skills for Care, CQC, Health and others. Our members in Cornwall include Mencap, Home Farms Trust, Calton House, Swallowcourt, Penwith Respite, United Response, Bowden Derra Park, Meadowbank, Ridgewood, PASS, Heart of the South, Cornwall Care, Peredur Trust, Woodside… If you want to know more about ARC Cornwall and meetings in 2012 call Rod Landman on 01237 441786 If you would like to know more about ARC or how you can become a member call 01246 555 043 or go to

Learning Disability Care Providers (Care at home, please turn over for Care Homes specialising in Learning Disabilities) Able Community Care NR14 8TZ 01503 230436

Lifeways Community Care PL21 9EF 01752 691122

At Home Pendennis Care Mencap Support Service EX2 8NL 01208 77577

PL31 2DG 01566 772299

Brandon Trust

NAS (National Autistic Society)

PL31 1RB 01208 72142

BS34 7BD 0117 9748400

Calton House LTD

Newcross Healthcare Solutions

TR14 8AZ 01209 611888

My Choice Homecare TR9 4LD 01208 79413

The D.O.V.E Project TR14 8DY 01209 612494

European Lifestyles PL25 3EF 01726 72668

Hillcrest Kernow

TR1 2RP 01872 278807

Home Farm Trust Dom Care

PL27 6HB 01208 815614


TR1 2LS 01872 222525

Next Generation Staffing Group PL1 3AB 01252 669990

Nursefinders Ltd

TR1 2PN 01872 270999


TR16 5AW 01209 212110

Spectrum Domiciliary Care Service (see ad on pg59)

Penryn TR10 8DB 01326 371000

The Regard Partnership PL12 6LH 07912 540424

Stayathome Ltd

TR2 5NB 01872 580264

Rightnurse Care Services (see ad on pg56) TR4 8DZ 01872 274120

Robert Owen Communities PL14 4ER 01803 868550

Scope Inclusion Team PL12 6LE 01752 840059

Taylors of Grampound Ltd (see ad on pg39) TR2 4TB 01726 884402

United Response

TR4 9LD 07989 479262

Valuing Independence PL3 4BB 01752 659298


EX14 1HL 01404 46936


TQ1 2AL 01803 292281

Premier Healthcare

Solutions (see ad on pg58) TR27 4HD 01736 448263

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Please turn the page for Care Homes specialising in Learning Disability >>>>>

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Learning Disabilities

Adapted with kind permission from a poster provided by the Estia Centre

How to support people with autism ● Explain at every stage what you are about to do, what will happen next and why. ● Give the person enough time to understand the information you are sharing and wait a few seconds for a response if it is not given immediately. ● Questions should be clear and direct using language that is easy to understand and pictures where necessary – do not rely on the person to pick up on the meaning of your questions or body language. ● People with autism might take what you say literally so avoid words with a double meaning and humour that could be misunderstood. ● Maintain a routine – familiarity is often important to some people with autism. ● Social difficulties may include lack of eye contact and unusual body language, talking at inappropriate moments or about inappropriate topics. ● Repetitive behaviours might be a coping mechanism and therefore should be respected. ● The environment is important – some people with autism are particularly sensitive to light, movement, sounds, smell and touch. Try to keep the immediate environment as calm as possible to help alleviate any anxiety. ● Always consider the person’s behaviour in terms of his or her autism, even if it becomes challenging. ● Ask the person and/or parent, carer or advocate what support they might need. Produced by RCN Publishing in partnership with: British Psychological Society, Department of Health, National Autistic Society, Royal College of General Practitioners, Royal College of Nursing, Royal College of Psychiatrists, Skills for Care, Skills for Health, Care Institute for Excellence, University of on Oxford Care choices have you atSocial a loss? Call 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


‘Safe Place’ scheme comes to Cornwall A new project to help thousands of people with a learning disability in Cornwall feel safer launched in spring 2010. ‘Safe Places’ is a national initiative that is coming to Kernow thanks to funding from Cornwall Council’s Adult Care and Support department, Devon and Cornwall Policy and Diversity Action Groups across the region and also has the backing of Self Advocacy Group Cornwall People First. The scheme which originated from Hertfordshire, aims to help people with learning disabilities deal with any incident that takes place while they are out and about in the community. Establishments in towns across the county are being invited to join up to the scheme and will be issued with stickers displaying the ‘Safe Places’ logo indicating that their premises are a safe haven. Cornwall Council’s cabinet member for adult care, Armand Toms, says: “This is a great new initiative for Cornwall which will help to ensure people with a learning disability feel safe whilst out and about in their local communities”. “We’re really pleased with the take up we’ve already had from local organisations, including pubs, garages, leisure centres, shops and restaurants, but would be delighted to welcome other establishments”. In preparation for the scheme’s launch, representatives from establishments who have already signed up will be attending training sessions at which they will get to hear stories from people with a learning disability on their experiences of being out in Cornwall, explaining why this scheme will help them socialise with more confidence and feel part of their local community.

We have made some plastic stickers and they are being placed in shop windows all over Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. These are being offered to every person with a learning disability in Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. For more details and to book a place at the training days please contact: Magi Omlo-Coad on 01872 323641 or email

RightNurse Care Services Providers of specialist community care

In a position when you or someone close to you requires support to enable independent living at home? To secure only the very best services available for both adults and children, please call for a free assessment with our trained nurse managers with on going supervision and management. Mount Hawke Business Centre, Highfield rd. Mount Hawke, Truro TR4 8DZ

01872 274120

Approved and accredited provider with Cornwall Council Competent staff always required


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Learning Disabilities

National Autistic Society

– Getting it right Charter,

NAS branches in England provide a local hub where parents, carers and people with autism can get help, access services, support each other and meet other people and families in similar situations.

See the person, Not the disability

All people with a learning disability have an equal right to healthcare. All healthcare professionals have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to the treatment they provide to people with a learning disability. All healthcare professionals should provide a high standard of care and treatment and value the lives of people with a learning disability. By signing this charter, we pledge to: »» Make sure that hospital passports are available and used »» make sure that all our staff understand and apply the principles of mental capacity laws »» appoint a learning disability liason nurse in our hospitals »» make sure every eligible person with a learning disability can have an annual health check »» provide ongoing learning disability awareness training for all staff »» listen to, respect and involve families and carers »» Provide practical support and information to families and carers »» provide information that is accessible for people with a learning disability »» display the ‘Getting it right’ principles for everyone to see

The West Cornwall Branch does this through: »» Open meetings with guest speakers where people have the opportunity to meet and support each other. »» Providing information and ideas in regular newsletters and through access to the branch library. »» Arranging social events and family trips out. These include a young adults group which runs on a weekly basis and a regular swimming group which has private use of a pool. »» Helping to raise autism awareness in the area by organising public events and generating press reports. For more information about autism, Asperger syndrome and related diagnoses visit the National Autistic Society main website: Tracey Mears, Branch Officer, The National Autistic Society, Prince Croft, Mount Hawke, Truro TR4 8EE

For guidance on implementing this pledge, please see:

Tel: 07901 103351

Learning Disability Care Homes Mental Health

Learning Disability in Central Cornwall 15 Pentire Crescent

Old Age

Number of places

East Wheal Rose Farmhouse


(see ad pg 59) Newquay TR7 1PU 01326 371000

2 Perhaver Park 1 St Austell PL26 6NZ 01726 842835 76 Bodmin Road 4 St Austell PL25 5AG 01726 74629

Bigwig House 3 Newquay TR8 5PT 01637 831220 Carrick 5 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR3 6EU 01326 371000

Myrtle Cottage 5 Truro TR1 2PN 01872 270999


3 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR1 2HN 01326 371000

Penrose Farm


8 Porthtowan TR4 8AE 01209 890386


Lowena Hostel

Truro TR1 1JX 01872 270013

Sansigra 8 Truro TR4 9HN 01872 540363


Springfield House

Melbourne House 12 St Austell PL26 7UG 01726 823853

St Erme

Menna House 5 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR2 4HA 01326 371000




Montrose Barn

Chylidn 5 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR3 6LP 01326 371000

Sensory Impairment

Newquay TR8 5JD 01326 371000

6 St Austell PL26 8YT 01726 850823

Bawden Manor Farm 7 (see ad pg 59) St Agnes TR5 0ST 01326 371000

Copper Beeches Lodge Care

Physical Disability

6 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR4 9QF 01326 371000

32 St Columb Major TR9 6BX 01637 880520


(see ad pg 59) Perranporth TR6 0JA 01326 371000 20 (see ad pg 59) Truro TR4 9BW 01326 371000

8 Lostwithiel PL22 0HB 01208 872602

2 St Agnes TR5 0QE 01872 553059

Tanglewood, St Austell

Mountford House

(see ad pg 59) St Austell PL26 7TL 01326 371000

38 Truro TR1 3TB 01872 274097 13

St Austell PL25 5JJ 01726 74024

Care choices have you at a loss? Call


Tarrant House

7 Perranporth TR6 0JB 01872 572214

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Learning Disability Care Homes Mental Health

Number of places

Old Age

Physical Disability

The Beech

Learning Disability in North Cornwall

The Gables, Truro

13 Longmeadow Road

The Nak Centre

Athelstan House

The Willows 3 (see advert on page 59) Truro TR3 6HE 01326 371000

Boisdale House 14 Launceston PL12 6BE 01752 846822

Tramways Corner

Bowden Derra Park 46 Launceston PL15 7PU 01566 86230

Tregarne 15 St Austell PL25 5QE 01726 72429

Chy Keres 6 Launceston PL15 7EU 01566 779805


Cromarty House


Helebridge House Ltd

13 (see advert on page 59) St Agnes TR7 3NB 01326 371000 10 Truro TR4 9QD 01872 571030

1 Saltash PL12 6DW 01752 841680

6 Truro TR4 9EA 01872 241878

42 Bodmin PL31 2AE 01208 72713

8 Newquay TR7 1DX 01637 874418

6 St Austell PL25 4HL 01726 69735

6 Bodmin PL31 2AF 01208 78607

7 St Austell PL25 5AT 01726 65366

Treseder House

8 Truro TR1 1BP 01872 274172 5 (see advert on page 59) Truro TR2 4DU 01326 371000 8

St Mawes TR2 5AE 01326 270570

Woodside Farmhouse

6 St Austell PL25 5SW 01726 77401

Zion House 8 St Agnes TR5 0XS 01872 552650

Kilkhampton Lodge

8 Bude EX23 9PA 01288 321129

Kingsleigh House

16 Saltash PL12 4DP 01752 848913

Personal Care Shopping Companionship Assistance in the morning Assistance in the evening Assistance with Planning Welfare Checks Housework Palliative Care

Fully Trained Caring Staff with CRB checks. Covering Helston and surrounding areas Camborne, Redruth, Falmouth and Truro Contact Laura on: 07861786259 or for our full list of services for a FREE care Assessment

Stoneybridge Cottage

2 Liskeard PL14 3NH 01579 348774

Trevanion House Holidays Ltd 14

Wadebridge PL27 7PA 01208 814903

New Witheven 8 Bude EX23 0BX 01566 781285 NosNom

2 Launceston PL15 8NZ 01566 785435

Penbownder House

29 Launceston PL15 7ES 01566 774752

Our services are aimed at adults (18+) & we offer our services to a wide range of care needs including:

Penlea 8 Launceston PL15 9JE 01566 775943

Email: Unit 9, Dowren House, Foundry Lane, Hayle, Cornwall, TR27 4HD

Wanting to keep your independence but need a little help?

12 Polyphant PL15 7PU 01566 86230

Penkelly House 6 Saltash PL12 6BE 01752 840458

Tel: 01736 448263

Martin Support Services Ltd

The Garden House

Providers of quality care, promoters of independence & choice.

Physical Disabilities, The Elderly, Learning Disabilities, Mental Health, Care Visits, Live In Care, Personal Care, Domestic Support, Nutritional Care, & Practical Support

MSS Care

â&#x20AC;&#x153;We support you in living the life you chooseâ&#x20AC;?

Higher Keason Farm 3 Liskeard PL14 3NE 01579 383137


Waterloo House, St Mawes


Bude EX23 0JB 01288 361310

Sensory Impairment


22 Torpoint PL11 3DX 01503 230256

Udal Garth 8 Torpoint PL11 2DH 01752 815999 Woodlands 6 Gunnislake PL18 9ED 01822 832451

Learning Disability in West Cornwall 22-25 Trevean Gardens

11 Penzance TR18 4JD 01736 361369

3 Pendarves Road


(see advert on page 59) Camborne TR14 7QB 01326 371000

Rosewood House

12 Polyphant PL15 7PU 01566 86230

Albany House

Roslyn House 8 Wadebridge PL27 7DS 01208 815489

Appledown 3

St Bridget`s

5 Bodmin PL31 1AG 01208 78170

Avalon 3 Penzance TR19 6JB 01736 871876

St Teath Site

Breage House 16

10 Bodmin PL30 3LQ 01208 851462

4 Redruth TR15 2JB 01209 210526

Hayle TR27 6NG 01736 740552

Helston TR13 9PW 01326 565805

Chy An Towans

11 Hayle TR27 5BJ 01736 754152


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Mental Health

Number of places

Old Age

Physical Disability

Sensory Impairment

Fair View

2 Camborne TR14 9JH 01209 831662

Robben Cottage 3 Redruth TR16 4LY 01209 843901

Trewithen House

Huthnance Park

5 Camborne TR13 0AZ 01326 371000

Rosedene 5 Camborne TR14 8BE 01209 714238



3 Hayle TR14 8LL 01209 719527

Rosemerryn 3 (see ad pg59) Camborne TR14 7RS 01326 371000


3 Penzance TR18 3HB 01736 331008

Roslyn House 8 Wadebridge PL27 7DS 01208 815489

Misty Falls


Penzance TR18 3PN 017363 30638

Ponsandane 58 Penzance TR18 3LT 01736 330063 Richmond House

8 Wadebridge PL27 6AD 01208 813756

Complete Care Services Directory Use Right Care Index Directory online to keep up to date with all latest health and care services.

8 (see ad pg50) Redruth TR15 1JY 01209 215029

2 Penzance TR18 2AJ 01736 360042

Penwith Respite Care Limited

5 (see ad pg59) Camborne TR14 9LP 01326 371000


Learning Disabilities

Learning Disability Care Homes

Station Villa

16 Hayle TR27 4NG 01736 755251

The Coach House 9 Penzance TR20 8UR 01736 332133


Penzance TR18 3ET


17 Camborne TR14 7RJ 01209 710799

Ridgewood Lodge

5 Camborne TR14 8DQ 01209 714032

The Peacocks 3 Redruth TR16 6LG 01209 218271 Trefusis Road 3 (see ad pg59) Redruth TR15 2JH 01326 371000 Trelawney Road

6 (see ad pg59) St Austell TR13 9NT 01326 371000

Care Homes - Home Care - News - eBooks Charities - Authorities - Motability - Many More

A specialist provider of autism services offering the best in person-centred support according to individual needs MSS Advert.indd 1

Please call for a free assessment with our trained staff Tel: 01326 371 000

19/12/2011 15:20

Spectrum provides education, residential, domiciliary care and supported living primarily for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. With 30 years’ experience we have developed expertise in empowering the service users we are supporting to help manage their conditions and behaviours themselves, so living productive and fulfilling lives. We promote the rights of those with learning disabilities, autism or similar conditions to lead full lives in society. Our specialist education centre, Three Bridges, has been judged by Ofsted as “outstanding” in all 7 areas at its last inspection. Spectrum is an accredited and approved provider with Cornwall Council. We encourage our service users to participate within their community, to make positive choices in their lives and realise their full potential.

We have 25 homes throughout Cornwall with service users living in varying environments suited to their needs and aspirations. Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Mental Health At least one in four of us will experience a mental health problem at some point in our life. Depression and anxiety are the most common. However, help and support is available for all types of mental health problems. Although GP’s are able to help most people to manage depression, for some patients, particularly those with more severe depression or where treatment is not successful, more specialised care may be needed. Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) provides a range of specialist mental health services across the county to meet these needs. Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) The majority of people that use mental health services are seen at home by their local Community Mental Health Team (CMHT). This supports recovery and allows them to retain their social status, well-being and their place in the community. CMHT services are for adults, aged 18–75, suffering from a severe mental illness. The teams provide one-to-one support which may take the form of visits to the patient’s home, or a community setting such as a GP surgery. Support may be provided on a short or long term basis depending on individual need. We work closely with other teams within Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT), some of which may be able to make a valuable contribution to your care, these include: »» Home Treatment Team (and out of hours mental health services) »» Early Intervention in Psychosis Team »» Cornwall Drug & Alcohol Team »» Cornwall Eating Disorders Service »» Family Intervention Service »» Community Veterans Service Referral to your local CMHT is via a GP, other health professional or self-referral. The teams are usually made up of specialist nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists and occupational therapists. Community Mental Health Teams are available Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5.15pm. Caradon CMHT 01579 335226 North Cornwall CMHT 01208 251446 Restormel CMHT 01726 291212 Carrick CMHT 01872 356000 North Kerrier CMHT 01209 881888 South Kerrier CMHT 01326 435860 Penwith CMHT 01736 575555 To find out which CMHT covers the area in which you live, please contact Bodmin Hospital switchboard on 01208 251300.

Outside of normal working hours, between 5.15pm and 8.45am the Home Treatment Team provides support to anyone who is experiencing problems with their mental and emotional health.

Home Treatment Team The Home Treatment Teams provide a high level of support to people who are in mental health crisis or relapse, in their own home. They offer a real alternative to a hospital admission or can enable a person to return home more quickly after a stay in hospital. The teams are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days of the year. Referral to the Home Treatment Team is via a GP, Accident & Emergency Dept (A&E), the Police, CMHTs, an inpatient unit, relative or self-referral. Outside normal working hours, between 5.15pm and 8.45am, the Home Treatment Team provides support to anyone who is experiencing problems with their mental and emotional health: East Team 0845 230 3901 - North Cornwall, Caradon and Restormel areas: West Team 0845 230 3902 - Kerrier, Penwith and Carrick areas:

Inpatient Mental Health Services Acute Inpatient Units

Bay Unit and Fletcher Ward are our two acute inpatient units. They provide a safe environment for the assessment and treatment of people with a full range of mental health conditions aged 18 and over. All patients have their own room with en-suite facilities. Referral to the acute inpatient units are made via the Home Treatment Team, to ensure the patient cannot be cared for better at home. Bay Unit Longreach House, Camborne & Redruth Hospital site, Barncoose Terrace, Redruth, TR15 3ER Unit Office: 01209 881900 Patient phone: 01209 211014 Fletcher Ward Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT Ward Office: 01208 251377 Patient phone: 01208 73056

Out of Hours - Mental Health Services


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Harvest Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Bodmin Hospital provides intensive treatment to people aged over 18 years, whose illness or behaviours means they cannot be safely cared for on an open ward. The unit provides a period of short term concentrated support to allow the person to return home via an open ward as soon as they are able. All our patients are under a section of the Mental Health Act. Referrals can be made at any time by health care professionals from community mental health teams, acute services, forensic services, and prison services both in and out of county. Harvest is one of only three units in England and Wales to be rated as ‘excellent’ by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Harvest Ward Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT Unit Office: 01208 251450 Patient phone: 01208 269478 Bowman Unit (Low Secure) Bowman Unit supports male patients with severe and enduring mental health problems, and who often have a history of psychiatric care. Challenging behaviour means they are unable to receive the support they need in a less restrictive environment. The unit provides treatment, therapy and life skills so that patients can prepare to return to life in the community. Referrals to Bowman Unit are made by a professional within the psychiatric service. The specialist nature of the unit means it is unable to take self referrals or referrals from GPs. Bowman Unit Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT Unit Office: 01208 251439 Patient phone: 01208 77012

Rehabilitation Service Fettle House provides support for people with long term mental illness, with the aim of enabling them to return to their own home or to a place outside the hospital where they receive a limited amount of support. People staying at Fettle House receive a variety of support, including medication and illness management, employment/social issues and help to regain their independence, relearn lost skills or gain new skills to support their recovery. Fettle is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Referrals to Fettle House are made by a professional within the inpatient service. Fettle House Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT Unit office: 01208 251366  |  Patient phone: 01208 75266

Complex Care and Dementia Services The Complex Care and Dementia Services provide high quality evidenced based effective assessments and treatments for people with complex mental health needs and dementia. We support people to optimise their well-being and achieve the best quality of life for each individual and their family/carers. Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust runs the following services: Complex Care and Dementia Service This service meets the needs of those with complex mental health problems, such as mood disorders and psychosis, or those whose needs around dementia have become complex. Referral to Complex Care and Dementia Service is via the same route as the Memory Service. Memory Service The Memory Service offers a specialist assessment for people who are concerned they may have a memory problem. The assessment enables us to clarify the cause of any memory problems so we can provide guidance, support and access to the right service at the right time. Early detection

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

and diagnosis of dementia means that effective treatment, targeted education and appropriate support can be delivered to help the person live well with dementia. Memory assessments may take place at one of the local memory clinics across Cornwall or if needed at a persons home. Referral to the Memory Service is via a GP, other health or social care provider, or self-referral. Alternatively, the service can be contacted via your local Community Mental Health Team or Bodmin Hospital switchboard on 01208 251300.

Inpatient Units for people with dementia with complex needs Cove Unit and Garner Ward undertake the assessment and care primarily of older people with organic mental health problems like dementia. They are located in Redruth and Bodmin respectively. They provide care with the ultimate aim of allowing the person to return home to live with their family or to make the transition to long term care. Both units have access to sensory rooms, spirituality areas and all patients have their own room with en-suite facilities. Cove Unit Longreach House, Camborne & Redruth Hospital site, Barncoose Terrace, Redruth, TR15 3ER Unit Office: 01209 881950 Garner Ward Bodmin Hospital, Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT Unit Office: 01208 251580

Complex Care & Dementia Liaison Service The Dementia Liaison Service consist of 2 teams: Psychiatric Liaison Team Based at Royal Cornwall Hospital, the team provides assessment for people with dementia or suspected dementia, and people with complex mental health needs. The team delivers support and education to staff and carers around managing behaviours that challenge the acute setting. They also give guidance on the use of the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act, and assist with person centred care planning to support timely and appropriate discharges from the acute hospital setting. Referral to the Psychiatric Liaison Team is usually made directly by the medical team looking after the person at the Royal Cornwall Hospital. The team can also be contacted via Bodmin Hospital switchboard on 01208 251300. Countywide Dementia Liaison Team Supports 98 dementia registered care homes and 12 community hospitals countywide for people with suspected dementia and those who have a diagnosis of dementia. By providing support, advice and education to staff, carers and other key professionals, the team aims to prevent unnecessary transfers of care to the acute hospital. The team also provides an annual health check for people that are registered on the GP’s dementia Quality Outcome Framework Register, along with supporting people with suspected dementia to be given a diagnosis. Referral to the Countywide Dementia Liaison Team is via a GP, other health or social care provider, or through a carer or self-referral. Alternatively, the local Dementia Liaison Nurse can be contacted via Bodmin Hospital switchboard on 01208 251300. ©Crown Copyright

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Mental Health

Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)

Pentreath Ltd. Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT) The Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team is a prescribing service for drug and alcohol users in Cornwall. We provide a confidential and accessible substitute prescribing service to individuals who require specialist prescribing for their drug or alcohol dependency. The criteria for treatment are based on comprehensive assessment. If it is not appropriate for you to be treated by our team, you will be signposted to a more relevant agency. We aim to provide not only substitute prescribing, but advice on harm minimisation, such as safe injecting practices. Referral is via your registered GP or other professional, such as a probation officer, social worker or health visitor. Following referral, the team is required to offer an initial appointment to a service user within twenty one days. If it is appropriate for CDAT to provide treatment, substitute prescribing will not commence until a period of assessment is complete. We hold clinics in venues countywide, and aim to treat service users in a venue as close to their home address as possible. Service users will be seen in clinic by their nominated key worker on a regular basis. We work closely with other non-statutory providers of substance misuse services in Cornwall to ensure that all service users receive a high level of quality and care whilst undertaking their treatment journey. ©Crown Contact Information Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT), Tolvean House, West End, Redruth, TR15 2SF  Tel: 01209 881907 | Fax: 01209 881919 Please note this is a patient line which is available from 10am to 1pm, Mon to Fri. We do not offer an emergency service.

– Providing a fresh and continually changing service Pentreath is an award winning mental health charity working throughout the whole of Cornwall and Isles of Scilly. We inspire and support our clients through a journey of both personal and vocational (work) development with the aim of securing future employment, education or training. As well as delivering tailor-made Information, Advice and Guidance sessions to our clients we also work to raise awareness and challenge any misunderstandings that society has about mental health. Pentreath recognises that supporting people to access facilities within their local community can help them to develop skills, self confidence and raise their future prospects and aspirations. Our clients are at the very centre of our projects and these are developed to meet their needs. This means we are always providing a fresh and continually changing service. The people we work with come from all kinds of backgrounds and have access to various programmes including vocational and recreational (leisure related) activities through us. We work in partnership with various organisations including Outlook South West, the NHS, JobCentre Plus and Connexions. We also work closely with other mental health charities such as Mind and Rethink. We accept self referrals from individuals as well as those from professionals such as GPs, Jobcentre Plus and many other organisations. ©Crown Pentreath Ltd. St Enoder Barns, Glebe Farm, Narrow Lane, Summercourt, Newquay, Cornwall, TR8 5EE Tel: 01726 862727 |

Alzheimer’s Society Singing for the Brain launched in Cornwall by Alzheimer’s Society

Alzheimer’s Society for Cornwall have launched a ‘Singing for the Brain’ group which is designed to be a fun, stimulating and social activity for people in the early to moderate stages of dementia and their carers. Sessions are led by a trained ‘Singing for the Brain’ leader and involve a wide variety of music including familiar favourites as well as simple songs that may enable harmonies and rounds, with participants joining as much or as little as they wish. How can the session help? »» People with dementia who have language and communication difficulties may find that well known songs can evoke verbal and emotional memories. New songs can help to challenge and extend skills. »» Music helps to create environments in which people with dementia can express positive feelings and emotions. »» Singing helps to stimulate more conscious breathing and combined with hand percussion and actions gives opportunities for gentle exercise. »» Families and carers can strengthen existing relationships and build new friendships, share experiences and find support and inclusion. The Penzance singing group starts on Mon 10th October from 2pm – 4pm and will take place at The One Stop Shop, Cornwall Council, Committee Room 1, St Claire, Penzance, TR18 3QW If you would like to book a place, please call 01872 277963.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia, affecting around 465,000 people in the UK. The term ‘dementia’ describes a set of symptoms which can include loss of memory, mood changes, and problems with communication and reasoning. These symptoms occur when the brain is damaged by certain diseases and conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease Services offered in Cornwall & Isles of Scilly: »» Camborne, Redruth & Saltash Memory Cafe’s each provide an opportunity for people with memory problems and for those who care for someone with memory problems to drop in for a chat and a coffee. Also information, advice and social activities. »» Information Line, Provision of support and information to people affected by dementia and their carers. »» Ringback Service Cornwall aims to improve quality of life for people with dementia, carers, families and friends by supporting them to manage at home for as long as possible. This may be by providing information, sign posting to other organisations or offering telephone befriending support. The service is run by dedicated, trained volunteers. »» Singing for the Brain Penzance & Truro, Singing groups for people with dementia and their carers held weekly on a Monday in Penzance and on a Tuesday in Truro. Truro Office: Woodbine Farm Business Centre, Truro Business Park, Threemilestone, Truro, TR3 6BW  Tel: 01872 277963 Email: Alzheimer’s Society helpline: 0845 300 0336 Main Switchboard: 020 7423 3500 or email

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Mental Health

Cornwall Eating Disorders Service Eating disorders are a mental health illness associated with high mortality; they can affect women and men of all ages. They are often more about feelings and emotions than they are about food. Cornwall Eating Disorders Service offers a comprehensive range of treatment and support for individuals of all ages who have a clinical diagnosis of an eating disorder. We are community based and work closely with patients, carers, local health services and other agencies, such as; Child and Family Services, GP’s, Community Mental Health Teams (CMHT) and inpatient facilities where relevant. We access a specialist inpatient unit in Exeter; the Haldon unit and occasionally use the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro for patients who are at serious physical risk. Initial referral to the service is by a GP to the local CMHT or Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).

Contact Information Cornwall Eating Disorders Service, Truro Health Park, Infirmary Hill, Truro, TR1 2JA Tel: 01872 354340 | Fax: 01872 354339 Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm Anyone who needs urgent support outside of these hours should contact out of hours mental health services via Bodmin Hospital switchboard on 01208 251300. ©Crown Copyright

Informative & Supportive Websites:

Rethink We were founded over 30 years ago to give a voice to people affected by severe mental illness and today, with over 8,500 members, we remain determined that this voice will continue to be heard. We help over 52,000 people every year through our services, support groups and by providing information on mental health problems. Our website receives over 500,000 visitors every year. Our aim is to make a practical and positive difference by providing hope and empowerment through effective services, information and support to all those who need us. People who use our services and their carers are at the heart of our vision and we believe that all those who experience severe mental illness are entitled to be treated with respect and as equal citizens. We carry out research which informs both our own and national mental health policy and actively campaign for change through greater awareness and understanding. And we are dedicated to creating a world where prejudice and discrimination are eliminated. Mission statement: Working together to help everyone affected by severe mental illness recover a better quality of life. Rethink’s work is overseen by the Board of Trustees, of whom the majority are carers and users. Rethink Northern Ireland is from 1st April 2009 a separate organisation. Most of Rethink’s funds come from statutory funders such as health authorities, but these are bolstered by sources including central government departments, the European Social Fund, trusts, companies and individuals. Rethink’s income is currently over £41 million per year. Rethink services are designed to display best practice and to be sensitive to local needs. Our quality strategy promotes and monitors consistency and coherence, and ensures that users’ and funders’ requirements are met. At the same time, Rethink’s planning and monitoring systems aim to make all the services we provide as effective and efficient as possible, while encouraging continuous improvement.

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

In all its work, Rethink is committed to promoting equality, choice, dignity, respect and access to care and support. As part of this committment Rethink has signed up to ‘The Charter for Employers who are Positive about Mental Health.’ Our wide range of services includes advocacy, carer support, community support, criminal justice, crisis, employment and training, helpline and advice, housing, nursing and residential care, respite, IAPT talking treatments and young people. The support we offer spans from acute and long-term care through to practical support and advice. The people who use our services play a central role in determining how we run our services. We provide high quality services that are carefully planned, managed and monitored and we support the people who use our services towards achieving their potential. We rigorously examine our services to find better approaches to their provision and continuous improvement. We explore innovative and imaginative strategies for developing and delivering services that build new partnerships and ways of working with people with severe mental illness and other mental health problems. Rethink, Head Office, 15th Floor, 89 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7TP Tel: 0845 456 0455 | email: Rethink Advice and Information Service Tel: 020 7840 3188 (open Mon - Fri 10:00 - 13:00) email: Membership: Tel: 0845 456 0455 (For any queries relating to membership)

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details



Disabilities Information about Disability in Cornwall and listings are provided for wheelchair and equipment provision. For physical disabilities in care homes please see our care homes section page 26.

Enable in Cornwall Enable in Cornwall is a registered charity that works with people aged 16 and above who have a physical disability and/or sensory impairment and live in Cornwall. The organisation offers free information, advice, guidance and support to assist clients in overcoming barriers they may face in accessing training, education, voluntary work or paid employment. Moreover, the organization devotes the time and resources necessary to empower disabled citizens to assume active and purposeful roles in their communities. Thus, Enable is part of a vision that is committed to the transformation of Adult Social Care so that the phrase “putting people first” can become a reality. Enable in Cornwall Ltd is an organisation with a mission. We freely facilitate people who are disabled by their environment to gain more power and control over their lives. Thus self-help is enabled through clients identifying their own goals and deciding what support they need to gain employment, undertake a voluntary activity or attend a training course/educational programme. Our project is managed by a Board of Directors, of which a majority are disabled people. This is of fundamental importance to our work, as we believe that only disabled people can fully understand the barriers that disabled people face when trying to access training and work. Thus, today, Enable in Cornwall Ltd offers information, advice, guidance and support to people aged 16 and above who have a physical disability and/or sensory impairment and live in Cornwall. »» We offer a free service, to which people can self-refer or be referred by other organisations. »» Some clients are disabled from birth while others have suffered accidents or strokes in later life that have forced life changing circumstances on individuals and their family’s »» Each client has an advisor who develops a relationship that is suited to the needs and aspirations of the disabled person. »» Advisors visit clients in their own homes, an informal discussion then takes place as to what they would like to achieve and an action plan is completed. »» Advisors research the available options, addressing issues like transport and funding where necessary. »» Assistance is available, if required, in compiling a CV. »» Job searches are undertaken by Advisors to ensure that no opportunities are overlooked. »» If required Advisors will accompany clients to interviews or support them during their first day at training courses to help with the paperwork etc. When clients have been placed in work or training the staff at Enable continue to keep in regular contact until clients decide that they no longer need support. Therefore, the organisation provides a


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

comprehensive service that is geared to the priorities of individuals with the intent of making permanent and positive changes to their lives. In this scenario Enable takes a person centred approach that recognises the benefit of individual autonomy, thus, advisors consciously looks to boost clients’ confidence and self-esteem. This strategy can transform lives with disabled people, who may have rarely left their homes, becoming active members of their local communities. If you would like more information about Enable in Cornwall please either telephone us on (01208) 77711 or email us at You may also find it useful to check out our website: and we are also on Facebook, just type in “Enable in Cornwall Ltd” in the Search box and please click “like”!

RADAR - Accessible toilets RADAR is a national network of disability organisations and disabled people. We represent our members by fasttracking your opinions and concerns to policy-makers and legislators in Westminster and Whitehall, and launching our own campaigns to promote equality for all disabled people. Are All The Public Toilets On Your RADAR? For a list of all the RADAR toilets in your area, please see the section on the Cornish Links website: RADAR KEYS available from Tourist Information centres (or NCD Council offices) price £3

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

(For Shopmobility listings please see page 75 for more details) British Red Cross Truro,

01872 272 878

Cornwall Mobility Centre, Truro,

01872 254920

Horizon Mobility Ltd, Penryn,

0870 458 1500

H.S.C Mobility, Hayle,

01736 755927

Launceston Mobility, Launceston,

01566 774030

Mobility Scooters, Portreath,

01209 842700

Pro Mobility Ltd, Helston,

01326 569494

St John Ambulance

01726 815 967

Tremorvah Industries, Truro, (see advert below)

01872 324340

Hearing problems There are a number of organisations providing specialist services to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Cornwall Council Adult Care and Support can also provide services and advice on equipment to help people with hearing difficulties.


Wheelchair Provision

Accessible Britain Packed with 180 inspiring days out, all reviewed by an enthusiastic and dedicated team of disabled visitors, the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain is an invaluable travel guide for anyone with accessibility needs. New for 2010 are the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain Awards. Comprising 5 categories, including Best Family Venue and Readers’ Choice Venue, they showcase the exceptional attractions that make a day out as easy and enjoyable as it should be. Highlights of the new edition of the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain include: »» Over 180 attractions and ideas for days out covered, including festivals, markets, bars, restaurants, sports arenas and events that are disability friendly. »» Reader Reviews by readers of the first edition of the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain. »» Things Not To Miss section highlighting the top five attractions in categories such as free, heritage, hidden, families and outdoors. »» Listings of useful organisations to make getting out and about even easier. The book is FREE to Blue Badge holders by calling 0800 953 7070 or visiting – not available in the shops. Produced in association with Motability.

Cornwall Deaf Association, 01872 225 868 Units 3 & 4 Quay Mews, Quay Street, Truro Textphone 01872 263 664

Tremorvah Industries

Doing more than you think Tel: 01872 324340 Fax: 01872 324372

-Mobility -Hiring -Stairlifts -Golf Equipment -Security -Textiles -Assistive Technology

Tremorvah Industries, Threemilestone Industrial Estate, Truro TR4 9LD

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Day & Respite Care Caring for someone at home can feel like having a full time job, it is natural that you need to take a break. This section gives information about where to find this sort of help & support.

Day Services Day Services offer help and support to older people and to people with disabilities. They offer social contact and stimulating activities for people who are finding difficulty living at home. Day care also enables carers to have a break from their caring. Centres are run by local authorities, the NHS, voluntary organisations and commercial businesses such as care homes (see page 13).

Respite Care When you are taking care of somebody you also need to think about caring for yourself. Depending on the type and intensity of care needed, your own health and well-being can be compromised by looking after someone else. In most jobs you get paid holidays - you should try to take some time off from caring too! You can get some respite from your caring role in a number of different ways: 1. Residential respite: The Person you care for goes away to be looked after by someone else for a while – residential or nursing care or on holiday. 2. Domiciliary care: Someone comes into your home and takes over care for a while (a few hours or sometimes overnight) so you can go out or have some time to yourself. 3. You can sometimes get a break when the person you care for is involved in other activities – for instance at school, at a Day Centre.

Assessment of needs by the Local Authority The first step is usually to approach the local authority to ask for an assessment for the person you care for – and for you as his/her carer. The Local Authority social worker doing the assessments will consider the needs of the person you care for, and your needs as their carer, and consider what services they may be able to provide (bearing in mind local priorities and availability of services). They will also do a Financial assessment under their Charging Policy which means that you (or – more usually – the person you care for) may be charged for the services according to means. © The Princess Royal Trust for Carers

Day Services offer care for adults with physical and/or learning disabilities and people recovering from mental illness. Day Services aim to give them the skills they need to live as independently as possible. Most are run by the Adult Services department and are for people who have been assessed as needing this kind of help.


Community support services for people with memory problems / dementia of all ages

Our services include: • Day Centres • Social Centres • Carers Support

Centres, offering Respite Day Care

Activities include: • Arts and Crafts • Gentle exercise and movement • Music & Singing • Brain stimulation and puzzles

Tel: 01209 822300 Tel: 01872 562350

• Reminiscence sessions • Trips out All activities are tailored to the individual. Its your day, your say. We are open Mon - Fri 10am - 4pm. Weekends and evenings are available upon request subject to availability.

Reflections is a community The Reflections centre is situated near St Day and is the first Interest Company (not for such day centre with others to follow in other parts of Cornwall profit group).


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Reflections.indd 1

21/11/2011 on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Day Care & Respite

Day & Respite Centres Learning Disability

Day Care


Physical Disability

Sensory Impairment

Outdoor Activity


Old Age

Mental Health

Respite Care

These listings include Day Care and Respite Centres throughout Cornwall. Some home care agencies (see page 40) and care homes (page 26) also provide these services. Day & Respite Care Richmond House Day & Respite Care Penzance TR18 2AB 01736 350752 in East Cornwall in West Cornwall St Maryâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Haven Day Age Concern

Age Concern

Care Centre

Penzance TR19 7LJ 01736 788265 St. Ives TR26 2DY 01736 798182

Penzance TR18 2DH 01736 367342

Bellair Day Centre Penzance TR18 4TA 01736 72583

Boundervean Day Centre Camborne TR14 7QE 01209 613006

Carleen Community Church Care Centre Helston TR13 9NP 01736 763604

Drym Valley Centre

Day & Respite Care in Central Cornwall Age Concern Dayclub

Bodmin 01726 822646 Launceston 01566 880066

Armadale Day Centre (RETHINK) Wadebridge PL27 7HA 01208 815676

Athelstan Bodmin PL31 2AE 01208 72713

Bude Mental Health Resource Centre

Fowey 01872 266388 Newquay 01637 876150 St Austell 01872 266388 Truro 01872 279279

Bude EX23 8DW 01288 355695

Caradon Mental Health Resource Centre

Camborne TR14 0NU 01736 850707

Anchor Project

Duchy College - West Cornwall Centre

Falmouth TR11 3PT 01326 315822

Liskeard PL14 4EJ 01579 347651

Blantyre Centre

Carol Spinks Homecare

Camborne TR14 0AB 01209 722100

St Austell 01726 7258

Saltash PL12 6JL 01752 844832

Frank Johns Centre

Fountain House Day Resource Centre

Echo Centre

St Austell PL25 4SZ 01726 76299

Eldfordleigh Resource Service

Gables Day Care Activity Centre

Launceston PL15 8HW 01566 765696

Penzance 01736 368 531

Truro TR7 9QD 01872 571030

Launceston PL15 8EX 01566 776422

Kehelland Horticultural Centre

Lowena Hostel

Camborne TR14 0DD 01209 718975


Murdoch & Trevithick

Truro TR1 3TB 01872 274097

Redruth 01209 218139

Roswyth Mental Health Centre

Hayle 01736 754 545

Holifield Farm Project

Gweek TR12 6UL 01326 221017

John Daniel Centre

Pathfields Bude 01288 356235

Pengarth Day Centre Penzance TR18 4DA 01736 350337

Penwith Respite Care Ltd Penzance 01736 330638

Reflection (see advert left) St. Day 01209 822300

Liskeard PL14 6AY 01579 347 836

Launceston Day Centre Morley Tamblyn Lodge

Truro TR1 1JX 01872 270 013

Liskeard 01579 345 858

Priory Centre Bodmin 01208 73623

Torcare Ltd

Newquay TR7 1BA 01637 873122

Stepping Stones Truro TR1 3JG 01872 241783

Torpoint PL11 2BW 01752 813677

Trelil Court Day Resource Centre Bodmin PL31 2JW 01208 76899

Tregarne Hostel

Wadebridge Concern for the Aged

St Austell 01726 724 29

Tremorvah Industries

Wadebridge PL27 7BX 01208 812392

(see advert on page 65) Threemilestone 01872 324 340

Westgate Centre Launceston PL15 7AE 01566 777344

For further information on accessing services or assessment of needs from the local authority see page 6 for Adult Care and Support or page 14 for PALS. Alternatively call the single access number 0300 1234 131 Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Advocacy Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain services they need. Advocates and advocacy schemes work in partnership with the people they support and take their side. Advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and social justice. (Action for Advocacy)

Advocacy can help people become more aware of their own rights, to exercise those rights and be involved in and influence decisions that are being made about their future. Crucially advocacy can empower people to speak up for themselves. Independent or impartial? People feel more able to speak to someone who does not have any control over their care or access to services. This makes it important that advocates are independent of those services. Advocates are not impartial. They are there to express their client’s wishes as if they were their own. An advocate’s first duty is to support their client. It is important those advocates stay, and are seen to be, independent of those services.

Clarity Of Purpose The advocacy scheme will have clearly stated aims and objectives and be able to demonstrate how it meets the principles contained in this Charter. Advocacy schemes will ensure that people they advocate for, service providers and funding agencies have information on the scope and limitations of the schemes’ role.

Putting People First The advocacy scheme will ensure that the wishes and interests of the people they advocate for direct advocates’ work. Advocates should be non-judgmental and respectful of peoples’ needs, views and experiences. Advocates will ensure that information concerning the people they advocate for is shared with these individuals.

Empowerment The advocacy scheme will support self-advocacy and empowerment through its work. People who use the scheme should have a say in the level of involvement and style of advocacy support they want. Schemes will ensure that people who want to, can influence and be involved in the running and management of the scheme.

Accountability The advocacy scheme will have in place systems for the effective monitoring and evaluation of its work. All those who use the scheme will have a named advocate and a means of contacting them.

Accessibility Advocacy will be provided free of charge to eligible people. The advocacy scheme will aim to ensure that its premises, policies, procedures and publicity materials promote access for the whole community.

Confidentiality The advocacy scheme will have a written policy on confidentiality, stating that information known about a person using the scheme is confidential to the scheme and any circumstances under which confidentiality might be breached. The advocacy scheme will be structurally independent from statutory organisations and preferably from all service provider agencies. The advocacy scheme will be as free from conflict of interest as possible both in design and operation, and actively seek to reduce conflicting interests.

Supporting Advocates The advocacy scheme will ensure advocates are prepared, trained and supported in their role and provided with opportunities to develop their skills and experience.

Complaints The advocacy scheme will have a written policy describing how to make complaints or give feedback about the scheme or about individual advocates. Where necessary, the scheme will enable people who use its services to access external independent support to make or pursue a complaint. Editorial from: The Advocacy Charter. Developed in 2002 by Advocacy Across London (AAL). An accessable leaflet is available from the publication section of Action for Advocacy’s website:

Equal Opportunity The advocacy scheme will have a written equal opportunities policy that recognises the need to be proactive in tackling all forms of inequality, discrimination and social exclusion. The scheme will have in place systems for the fair and equitable allocation of advocates’ time.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


OPAAL DVD - Voices for Older People’s Advocacy

Counsel + Care Counsel and Care is the national charity working with older people, their families and carers to get the best care and support. The Elderly Invalids Fund, as it was then known, was established in 1954 by Bob and Joceline Graham in response to the poor levels of care experienced by many frail older people. Today, with an ageing population where 3 out of 5 people aged 65 and over will need care, Counsel and Care is needed more than ever.

Advice and information > Counsel and Care’s independent, dedicated and sympathetic Advice Service offers information and support to around 250,000 older people, their families and carers a year. We can advise on a range of community care issues, including finding and paying for care, welfare benefits, and hospital discharge.

Policy Influencing and Campaigning > The Policy and Communications Team at Counsel and Care works to influence government, the media and other stakeholders to get the best care and support for older people. Older people’s concerns and experiences reported to our advice service inform our campaigning work. Our independence means that we are able to campaign and lobby on more controversial issues.

OPAAL UK has launched a DVD called Voices for Older Peoples Advocacy. The DVD can be used to: »» Introduce advocacy to older people who know nothing about it, including those who are considering whether an advocate could benefit them »» Introduce advocacy to people who are considering training as citizen advocates themselves »» To provide information to groups for example, with a group of social work students, a tenants association, or a neighbourhood planning group where there is a good opportunity to promote independent advocacy. OPAAL UK are keen to ensure a wide audience for this work so do not make a charge for the DVD. However as they are hoping to further their Multi-Media work with older people they would welcome donations. Postage and packing costs £1.50 for one DVD. If you require multiple copies please contact the administrator Jo Swinswood at uk to obtain the correct price to meet your request. 01782 844036.

Fundraising > Counsel and Care relies entirely on the generosity of the public for income, as we receive very little statutory funding. Without your generous donations and legacies we would be unable to continue our valuable work. You can help ensure that no older person has to live in poverty, social isolation and difficulty by supporting Counsel and Care with a donation or remembering us in your will.

Working in Partnership > Counsel and Care’s expert advice and information service can partner with other organisations including local authorities, healthcare providers, housing associations and employers to help them meet the care and support needs of residents, patients, tenants and employees. Advice Line: 0845 300 7585

Action For Advocacy

aa 4


Since its launch in 2002, advocacy organisations from across the country have adopted the Advocacy Charter. In total over 75 organisations contributed to its development and many more advocacy organisations use it regularly as a tool to focus on key advocacy issues and guide their work. Developed as a set of core principles for advocacy, the Charter is designed: »» To inform advocacy practice and training »» To raise awareness of the value of Advocacy »» As a tool for negotiating with funding and commissioning bodies »» As a quality assurance mechanism To receive more information access us at: Tel: 020 7820 7868 Email: Web:

The CareAware Advocacy Service provides a ‘one stop’ facility to answer all of your care funding questions. The Advocacy service can provide information, advice and guidance on: »» Understanding social services assessment procedures »» Sourcing appropriate home care services and support »» Finding and selecting a suitable care home »» Establishing entitlement to state benefits »» Maximising support from the local authority »» Paying care fees, protecting assets »» Ensuring your wishes are respected and using Enduring/Lasting Power of Attorney or equivalent Tel: 0161 707 1107  |

In response to demand, four of the UK’s leading advice services have come together to launch the first ever joined up advisory service to provide through a single telephone number and website, a free, independent and good quality advice and information service about housing and care options for older people, their families and carers.

for advocacy

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

FirstStop provided jointly by Help the Aged, Elderly Accommodation Counsel, Counsel and Care and NHFA Care Fees Advice will be able to deliver advice and information in the areas which most older people will need advice about: Money and benefits, Care in any setting, from your own home to a care home, Housing options from adapting your own home or choosing retirement housing to care homes. 0800 377 7070 |

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Advocacy Listings for Cornwall Anchor Project Falmouth 01326 315822 Mental Health, Learning Disabilities and Special Needs Bodmin Share 01208 79252 Young people Breast Cancer Care

Bodmin 01208 77711 Aged 16 - 64 with physical disability

Freshfield Service

Truro 01872 241952 Drugs & Alcohol

G.A.I.N. (Gain Acceptance In Nurturing) 01872 571496 Counselling and Support

Hear Our Voice Truro 01872 261989 11 - 25 year olds experiencing, or at risk of mental health difficulties

01736 731940

Breathe Easy Cornwall Falmouth

Enable in Cornwall Ltd.

01326 315822

Camborne Live at Home Scheme

Huntington’s Disease Ass. Camelford 01840 213004

Camborne 01209 719062 Befriending, coffee morning, outings, advocacy, activities groups

Ileostomy and Internal Pouch Support Group

Carer’s Break Service - Carer’s Support Worker Project

Kerrier District Council Housing Advice Centre

Camborne 01209 613456 Mental Health

Truro 01872 277114

Redruth 01209 614240 / 614180

Carer’s Link

Lizard Pathways Plus Helston

Carrick care and Repair Truro 01872 260777 Elderly persons housing repair and adaptations

Marie Curie Cancer Care 01872 260500 Provides a free independent advocacy service

Citizens Advice Bureau’s

Multiple Sclerosis Society

Torpoint 01752 812743 Carers of physically, mentally or emotionally disturbed

See page 81

Connexions Cornwall and Devon

Truro 0800 9755111 Information, advice and support to all 13 to 19 year olds 01872 242478 Provides a free independent advocacy service

Cornwall Deaf Association

Liskeard 01579 344818

Truro 01326 315822

Cornwall Dyslexia Ass. Perranporth 01872 274827 Cornwall Dysphasia Support Penryn

01326 371330

The Stroke Association

Cornwall Lupus Group

Helston 01326 565494 / 290747

Cornwall Mental Health Forum

Truro 01872 261037

Cornwall People First 01736 261037

Cornwall Support Group, National Osteoporosis Society Penryn 01326 375615 Cornwall Women’s Refuge Trust 01872 225629 Rape, Abuse and Violence

Coverack Christmas Tree Committee Helston 01872 242478 Children and Young People

DIAL Cornwall (Disability Information Advice Line) Penzance 01736 757500 Disability information see page 64

01209 714550 Mental Health, Learning Disabilities & Special Needs

Relate Cornwall

St Austell 01726 74128 Individuals and couple counselling

Self Direction Community Project Penryn 01326 372444 Adults over 16 with physical, emotional and/or psychiatric disabilities.


St Austell / Bodmin / Camborne / Penzance 0800 181 033 Young People’s Advice, Information & Support

Shelter Penryn 01326 372444 Adults over 16 with physical, emotional and/or psychiatric disabilities. 01209 314844 / 214844 Advice and information for anyone who is homeless or has a housing related problem

Special Parenting Service 01872 356 040 Serves Parents with learning disabilities The Salvation Army 01872 225734 Victim Support Cornwall Redruth 0845 0567999 Serve ‘Disadvantaged’ Adult Learners Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre Bodmin 01208 77099 / 01208 79992

YMCA Cornwall Ltd. Penzance 01736 365016 Housing and Accommodation aged 16-25 years

DiVA (Domestic Violence & Abuse) Hayle 01736 759687


Penwith and Kerrier Mind Befriending Scheme

Signposting, Listening ear, Spiritual Support

01872 355015 Work and Employment

Eating Disorders Group

OPAAL (Older People’s Advocacy Alliance)

Self Direction Community Project

Cornwall Rape & Sexual Abuse Centre 01872 262100

Cornwall Works

01736 787798

Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) see page 14

Truro 01872 261110

Cornwall Centre for Volunteers

Over Eaters Anonymous

Truro 01209 861417

01782 844036

Cornwall Advocacy

Cornwall Blind Association

01326 241644

Work and Employment

Newquay 01637 873122

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Zebedees Truro 01872 263 860 - Support for people between 11-21 for sexuality, bullying, racism, & more on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Safeguarding Adults


Say no to abuse Protecting vulnerable adults from abuse and neglect Physical Abuse Emotional Abuse Sexual Abuse

Financial Abuse Neglect Discrimination

Adult Care and Support Large print as standard Tel: 0300 1234 131 Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Motability Motability, the national charity (registered charity no: 299745), has overall responsibility for the Motability Scheme: »» We direct and oversee the Scheme. »» We raise funds to provide financial help to Scheme customers who would otherwise be unable to afford the type of car and any adaptations that they need. »» We administer the Government's Specialised Vehicles Fund which provides financial assistance for customers who need to travel in their wheelchairs. »» We provide technical support to customers and the adaptation and conversion industry. The Motability Car Scheme is administered on a contract basis by Motability Operations, a not-for-profit private company owned by the major banks. The Wheelchair and Scooter Scheme is operated by Route2mobility, a limited company, under contract to Motability. The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to obtain a car, powered wheelchair or scooter simply by using their government-funded mobility allowances. Customers exchange their allowance for a worry-free mobility package, including: »» Car, powered wheelchair or scooter »» Insurance »» Servicing »» Tyres »» Breakdown cover »» Adaptations and wheelchair accessible vehicles are also available. The Scheme is open to anyone who receives one of the following benefits, and has at least 12 months’ award length remaining when they apply: »» Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance »» War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement. »» Around two-thirds of our customers drive, but nondrivers can get a car as a passenger. Similarly, parents and carers can also apply on behalf of a child.


Thanks to Motability I now have my independence to travel Mrs Lockyer, Hampshire

Over 530,000 disabled people currently use the Motability Scheme and 97% of them would recommend it to their friends. A further 1.3 million are eligible to join but have not taken advantage of doing so, simply because they may be unaware that they can. 95% of our customers choose to lease a car through Motability’s Contract Hire agreement, which gives you: »» A new car of your choice every 3 years »» Insurance and personal accident cover »» Servicing and maintenance »» Full breakdown assistance from RAC »» Replacement tyres fitted by Kwik-Fit »» Window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost. Our worry-free policy continues right to the end of your threeyear lease with a seamless transfer to your new car. What’s more, you can choose from over 4,000 cars - no wonder 97% of our customers would be happy to recommend us.

help: your questions answered

Some customers may prefer to buy their own car, in which case our Hire Purchase scheme might be for you. If you choose Hire Purchase, you negotiate the actual purchase price with your Motability dealer. With Hire Purchase, you will also be responsible for organising and paying for comprehensive insurance, breakdown recovery, your car tax disc, servicing and repairs. (If you choose to buy a car with a Hire Purchase agreement, you will need to be receiving the allowance for the full length of your agreement.)

Images courtesy of Motability


Q. I know that I can get inchoices and out ofhave my Care present car in a way that suits me. Should I get another one just like it?

I getCall my advance payment back at the you atQ.aWill loss? end of my car lease?

A. No you won’t. The advance payment covers the

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Mazda Vospers of Liskeard/Truro

Alfa Romeo St. Erth Services

01209 821911

01872 520801

BMW / Mini Ocean Falmouth Ltd

01326 375960

Falmouth Garages Ltd

01326 377246

Chrysler Carrs Indian Queens/Truro

01726 862360

Citroen Hawkins Motors Blackwater Trelawny Citroen Ltd Penzance P C Tonkin and Son St Austell

01872 560987 01202 893589 01726 850241

Daihatsu Claude Holman Cars Ltd Truro

01872 560561

Dodge Carrs Indian Queens

01726 862360

Fiat St Erth Services Hayle Vospers of St Austell/Poole

01736 752028 01726 874070

Ford Vospers of Penzance/Truro/St Austell/Falmouth/ Liskeard/Poole Tregoning Ford Wadebridge Flora Motors Ltd Helston

01872 226226 01208 812026 01326 563416

Honda Rowes Honda Truro

01872 279631

01872 560987

01872 520790


Nissan 01872 540585 01208 261111

Peugeot Hawkins Motors Ltd Penryn/Hayle/St Austell Truscotts Launceston/Helston

01726 828100 01326 573001

Proton Penwyn Garage St Austell

01726 822329

Renault Dales Newquay/Scorrier Millers Garages Falmouth R & S Motors Ltd Saltash

01202 510888 01326 373825 01752 845000

Saab Riders Saab Falmouth

01326 213399

Seat Dales Central Motors Redruth West End Motors Bodmin

01209 821144 01208 261111

Skoda Carrs Skoda Indian Queens Falmouth Garages Ltd Penryn

01726 862360 01326 377246

Sukuki Dales Central Motors Newquay

01872 511600

Parklands Newquay

01872 511262

Ward of Truro/Helston Maynes Garage Redruth West End Motors Bodmin Evans Halshaw Saltash PC Tonkin & Son St.Austell

01872 226500 01209 215502 01208 261111 01752 848411 01726 850241


Hawkins Motors St Austell

Carrs Indian Queens Helston Garage Ltd Helston

Land Rover RogerYoung Saltash Riders Truro

01326 211117


Jeep Carrs Truro/ Indian Queens

Livery Dole Mitsubishi Falmouth


Hyundai Hawkins Motors Blackwater

01872 520900


Town & Country Motor Truro West End Motors Bodmin


01872 226231

Mercedes Benz / Smart Mercedes-Benz of Truro

Audi Truro Audi


Dealerships in your area

01752 849999 01872 263377

01726 862333 01326 555666

Volvo Riders Truro

01872 326161

Please turn the page for Shopmobility listing, or for wheelchair provision please see page 61. Care choices have you at a loss? Call

choice: a brand new car that’s just your style!

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details We’re delighted you’re interested in the Motability Car Scheme and because Motability takes away the hassle of car ownership, you can concentrate on choosing a brand new car that suits the life you lead. Your new Motability car will be an integral part of your life for the next three


The treatment and service from [my dealer] is second to none

73 ’’

Mr Hussey, Milton Keynes

isn’t suited to your needs. Don’t ignore those first instincts. If you are less than comfortable when trying out a new vehicle, there could be a simple solution to the problem – or you may need to try a different vehicle.

discomfort built in!

Some cars just don’t measuring up feel right…

Measuring Up

Beingthey ableare to compare measurements, That might just be because ‘different’key from your presenteither between your existing andtoany potential car. Or it could be that the vehicle really isn’t car suited your car, between cars are thatless you than are considering, can be a Don’t ignore those first or instincts. If you comfortable great help. Motability has worked with Ricability, an when trying out a new vehicle, there could be a simple solution independent consumer research charity, and their to the problem - or you may need to try different vehicle. panel of disabled people, to take over 65 Make sure your ‘new car feeling’ is a good one. Don’t settle for a car which has inconvenience or discomfort built in!

Being able to of compare key measurements, measurements our most popular cars to helpeither you between your existing car out andmore any potential car, or between find about carnew accessibility. Below arecars the that you are considering, canfive be measurements a great help. Motability top you couldhas use worked when with Ricability, an independent considering your new charity, car: consumer research and their panel of disabled people, to take over 65 measurements of our most popular cars to help you find out more about car accessibility. Below are the considering your new car:

Carrying a w heelchair: Does your wheelchair fit? Test with the wheelchair folded and the car seats upright; and with the wheelchair partially folded and the rear car seats folded down.

Entry space: Can you easily and comfortably get into the car?

Seat Height:

Head room (door):

Door opening angle:

Are the seats at the right height to reach the controls and have good all-round vision?

When your seat is in the right position, is there comfortably enough headroom for you and for any passengers?

Does the door open wide enough for you to get in, but not so wide that you can’t then close the door?


Ricability is the trading name of the Research Institute for Consumer Affairs (RICA). We a national charity dedicated to start withresearch a car you know 10 areassess: providing independent information of value to disabled and older consumers.Under our trading name of Ricability, we research and publish consumer reports. They are all based on rigorous research and provide practical information needed by disabled and older consumers.As the Research Institute for Consumer Affairs we also work with manufacturers, service providers, regulators and policy makers to improve products and services. Our aim is to increase their awareness of the needs of disabled and older consumers through specialist research. Ricability, Unit G03, The Wenlock Business Centre, 50 - 52 Wharf Road, London, N1 7EU 020 7427 2460 Find a car -car measurement database. This car measurement database can help you draw up a shortlist of cars if you have a disability. It helps you find the car models that are easiest for you to get in and out of and stow a wheelchair or other equipment. It includes detailed measurement data on over 500 cars. New ones are added continuously. »» Car measurement database search for cars with particular dimensions e.g low sill, high seat, wide door »» List of cars measured to see all the 500 + car models and print a factsheet that has measurements and photos »» Things to look for tells you what dimensions are important »» Explanation of ratings used by Motability


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Mobility address list -Address information for companies and organisations that provide mobility services and products. Car controls -This guide is for disabled and older drivers who need to adapt the controls in their car. The range of controls is now so wide that almost anyone can drive, providing they meet DVLA requirements. It will give you a starting point to think about what type of adaptation you might need and to help you explore what is possible. Getting a wheelchair into a car -This guide describes what equipment is available to help get a wheelchair into a car and transport it safely. It includes information about different types of hoists, racks and trailers. Getting in and out of a car -Whether you’re in a wheelchair, or just find it difficult to get in and out of a car, this guide can help. It starts with advice on techniques you may find useful, and then covers aids for those who need more help getting from a wheelchair and into a car. Motoring if you have a particular disability -Series of seven guides for people with particular disabilities with tips, information about adaptations and where to go for further help: Motoring after amputation, Motoring with arthritis, Motoring after brain injury, Motoring with cerebral palsy, Motoring with multiple sclerosis, Motoring after a stroke, Motoring with restricted growth.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Car/Road Tax Exemptions The person you are looking after may be entitled to a free road tax disc if they have a condition or disability that affects their mobility. A free tax disc is available if they have: »» a disability which means they get the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, »» a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement, or »» an ‘invalid carriage’ (this includes vehicles such as powered wheelchairs and scooters intended for use on roads). Road tax is also known as car tax or vehicle excise duty. The vehicle must be registered in the name of the person you are looking after, or in your own name as their carer (their nominee). It can be used only for the benefit of the person with the disability, which might include activities such as taking them to and from places or doing their shopping. You or any other nominee cannot use the vehicle for your own personal needs.

How to apply: In order to get a free tax disc you will first need to apply for an exemption certificate. The exemption certificate will show the name of the disabled person and that of the nominee, if they have nominated someone to drive for them. If the person you are looking after receives Disability Living Allowance, they should apply (using form DLA 404) to the Disability Living Allowance Unit, Warbreck House, Warbreck Hill, Blackpool FY2 0YE, or tel: 08457 123456 (textphone 08457 224433). If the person you are looking after receives War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement, they should apply (using form WPA 442) to the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire FY5 3WP, or tel: 0800 169 2277 (textphone 0800 169 3458). You will also need the entire vehicle registration certificate. You will need to fill in the taxation class as ‘disabled’ in section 7 of the certificate. You will also need a valid insurance certificate or cover note and a valid MOT or GVT certificate (if applicable). If you have all the documents listed, you can apply directly for a free disabled person’s tax disc at your local post office.

Invalid carriages: Invalid carriage is the term

used to describe any powered wheelchair or scooter intended for use on the road. You do not need an exemption certificate to get a free tax disc for an invalid carriage if: »» it weighs less than 509kg and is adapted for, used or kept on a road for a disabled person (although it must be registered in the name of the driver), or »» it weighs less than 113.4kg, is for pavement use only and has a maximum speed of 4mph, in which case it does not need to be registered or have a tax disc.

Motability schemes

Shopmobility is a scheme which provides electrically powered wheelchairs, scooters and manual wheelchairs to help people who have limited mobility to shop and use the facilities/amenities of the area or shopping centre.

Falmouth Shopmobility 34 Church Street, Falmouth, TR11 3EF Contact: Ruth Abraham (Day): 01326 313553 Opening Hours: Mon - Fri: 9.30am to 4.30pm Manual / powered wheelchairs and powered scooters are available but must be booked in advance.

Go! Newquay Newquay Disabled Club, Tolcarne Road, Newquay Contact: (Day) 01637 854020 Opening Hours: Mon - Fri. For more information or to make a booking, please call Newquay Tourist Information on 01637 854020. Manual wheelchairs and powered scooters available but must be booked in advance. Parking is available within 40 meters and there is an accessible toilet facility, a charge will be made for hiring the equipment.

Go! Penzance The Light and Life Centre, Wharfside Shopping Centre, Market Jew Street, Penzance, TR18 2GB Contact: Simon Jones (Day): 01736 351792 Opening Hours: Mon - Sat: 10am - 4pm | The scheme meets the criteria set down by the Department of Transport. Manual wheelchairs and powered scooters available, escorts are normally available, and loans can be taken for more than one day. There is parking within 40 meters and parking for blue badge holders. An accessible toilet facility is available on site and a charge will be made for the hiring of equipment.

Go! Truro Moorfield Car Park office (by entrance to Car Park), Callenick Street, Truro, TR1 2QD Contact: Emily Dunford (Day): 01872 241813, (Mobile): 07966 560371 (Fax): 01872 264264 | The scheme meets the criteria set down by the Department of Transport. Manual / powered wheelchairs and powered scooters are available but must be booked in advance. Parking is available within 40 meters and there is an accessible toilet facility, a charge will be made for hiring the equipment.

If you hire a vehicle through a Motability scheme, they will arrange to tax your vehicle each year and will send a tax disc to you.


If you have a valid tax disc and wish to apply for a vehicle tax refund, complete form V14, available from your post office. If you wish to apply for a vehicle tax refund and you do not have the tax disc, complete form V33, which is only available from your local DVLA office or by calling 0870 240 0010.

Visit: for more info

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Sheltered Housing Sheltered Housing (Retirement Housing) in Cornwall is listed in this section. It is likely that there will be a waiting list for rents and purchasing, it is advisable to contact the preferred scheme early. Schemes and options Sheltered housing is often called retirement housing or warden-assisted housing. There are many different types of sheltered or retirement housing schemes, both to rent and to buy. Schemes usually consist of between 15 and 60 dwellings which may be bedsits, self contained flats, bungalows or luxury apartments. Usually they are designed with older people in mind and to mobility standards, for wheelchair access for example. Some schemes are simply housing designed to meet the needs of older people and linked to a community alarm. But the majority of schemes have a Scheme Manager (or ‘Warden’) as well as a community alarm service. There are often communal facilities such as a lounge, laundry, guest flat and garden. Meals are not normally provided but a very few schemes include a restaurant, and quite a number arrange one hot meal a day. There is usually a minimum age, often 55 or 60, but occasionally 50. Sheltered or retirement housing appeals to people who like living independently but want the reassurance of knowing that assistance is on hand if there is an emergency.

Scheme Manager (Warden) The scheme manager/warden is usually expected to: »» Get to know older people living in their scheme; giving them information on availability and access to services and encouraging them to ask for additional support from statutory and voluntary organisations when appropriate. When in the building the scheme manager will also respond to the emergency alarm. »» Manage the scheme, e.g. Looks after the maintenance of the communal areas. However, the scheme manager is employed by the management organisation and the duties vary considerably between schemes. Some have a resident manager/warden and a 24- hour service; others have visiting or part time staff. The scheme manager/warden is NOT expected to provide personal care for residents, nor to carry out tasks like shopping or cleaning. The scheme manager/warden’s salary and overheads account for a large part of the service support charges paid by both tenants and owner-occupiers.

Community alarms »» »» »» »»


Offer reassurance that help is at hand if needed By pressing a button on a pendant or pulling a cord, a message is relayed to a monitoring centre, staffed 24 hours a day If help is needed the centre will alert relatives or friends, or contact your doctor or the emergency services. Alarm Systems are often used to provide assistance when the scheme manager/warden is not on duty or not in the scheme.

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Is It Right For You? There are some important issues to consider when deciding whether sheltered or retirement housing is right for you. These included: »» if you need additional support or services, is it possible to organise them in your current home? »» how do you feel about moving into smaller accommodation, the possibility of having to buy smaller furniture, getting rid of possessions and the loss of a private garden? »» how do you feel about living in accommodation exclusively occupied by older people? »» if you are considering moving to a new area, are you moving away from friends, family and surroundings you know well? »» although you will want to discuss this with loved ones, make sure the final decision is yours. Moving to please someone else is not a good idea.

Choosing a scheme Once you have decided to move to sheltered/retirement housing, you will need to consider which features are important to you. It is advised to visit several schemes and meet the scheme manager/warden and other residents. You may want to consider: location, local facilities and transport, communal facilities, whether pets are allowed, design and accessibility of the building, noise, security, whether there is a residents/ tenants association, cost of rent/service/support charge, whether the cooker and fridge is provided, what kind of heating system is there and how it is controlled and what will happen if you become frail and need help with domestic tasks and personal care.

Finding a scheme Phone EAC’s free Advice Line on 020 7820 1343, search directly on-line at or email at

Renting Most housing for rent is provided by local councils or nonprofit making housing associations (often called Registered Social Landlords or RSL’s). Local councils and RSL’s generally aim to offer their housing to people in the greatest housing need, at rents which are affordable - perhaps with the help of housing benefits. The criteria that applicants are generally expected to show include: »» Some degree of housing need because of the physical condition of their present home; »» Medical and/or social reasons for wanting to move, e.g. poor health, disabilities, loneliness, fear or isolation from friends & family; »» That they are not easily able, for whatever reason, to buy rather than rent; »» That (if they are not local already) they have good reason for wanting to move to the area they apply for.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

You may also consider purchasing property. Prices and types of property vary enormously. A small second-hand flat may be found for under £70,000 in parts of the country. Brand new properties cost more. Luxurious homes on sites with every amenity - swimming pools, golf courses and restaurants - can cost well into six figures. Service charges are likely to apply as will ground rent which could vary from £50 per year to £300. Optional home care and meal services will normally be charged for separately if they are privately provided. Information Sourced from the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC). Visit, or call 020 7820 1343.

Companies offering sheltered housing for rent Abbeyfield Society, Area Housing Manager Tel: 07733 890 200

Camborne Society Ltd,

Council of The Isles of Scilly, Housing Department, Town Hall, St Marys, Isles of Scilly TR21 0JL Tel: 01720 422537

Devon & Cornwall Housing Association, 5 Heathlands Business Park, Heathlands Road, Liskeard, PL14 4DH Tel: 0300 123 8080

TR14 7BU  Tel: 01209 714 982

Liskeard Society, PL14 1DW  Tel: 01579 346 569

Saltash Society Ltd, PL12 4BG  Tel: 01752 843 757

South West Society Ltd,

Devon & Cornwall Leasehold Solutions, Kenwyn Street, Truro, Cornwall TR1 3BA Tel: 01872 260 621

Earle’s Retreat, 7 Kimberley Place, Falmouth, TR11 3QL Tel: 01326 318 143

Girlings Retirement Options,

Falmouth, TR11 5ER Contact: Valerie Odling, on 01326 250796

Glanville House, Frobisher Way, Taunton, Somerset TA2 6BB Freephone: 0800 525 184

Torpoint Society Ltd,

Guinness Care and Support Ltd,

PL11 2LJ Tel: 01752 813 176

Anchor Trust, Milestone Place, 100 Bolton Road, Bradford BD1 4DH Tel: 08457 75 85 95

Calstock Wesley Housing Association Ltd, 4 Wesley Flats, Harewood Road, Calstock, PL18 9QN Tel: 01822 834 186

Caradon District Council, Luxstowe House, Liskeard, PL14 3DZ Tel: 0300 1234 100

Carrick District Council, Carrick Housing Ltd, Carrick House, Pydar Street, Truro, TR1 1EB Tel: 0800 138 5552

Church of England Soldiers’ Sailors’ & Airmen’s Clubs,

Estune Business Park, Wild Country Lane, Lond Ashton, Bristol BS41 9AF Tel: 01275 395 300

Hanover Housing Association, Gateway House, Cornbrash Park, Bumpers Way, Chippenham, Wiltshire SN14 6RA Tel: 0800 280 2575

Hanover Property Management,

Municipal & Owen Newton Farm Partnership, Sclerder Lane, Talland, Looe, Cornwall PL13 2JD Tel: 01503 272 391/044/395

North Cornwall District Council, Housing & Environmental Services Dept. Trevanion Road, Wadebridge, PL27 7NU Tel: 01208 893 440

Ocean Housing, Dowrglann, Stennack Road, Holmbush, St Austell, PL25 3SW Tel: 01726 874450

Osprey Management, 112 Mill Plat, Old Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6BZ Tel: (020) 8569 8364 Penwith Housing Association Ltd, 67 Morrab Road, Penzance, TR18 3QT Tel: 01736 331799

Peverel Retirement, 12 Centre Court, Vine Lane, Halesowen, West Midlands B63 3EB Tel: 0845 880 5560

Retirement Villages Ltd, 57 Church St, Epsom, Surrey KT17 4PX Tel: 01372 731888

Nelson House, Alington Road, Eynesbury, St Neots, Cambridgeshire PE19 6RE Tel: 0800 280 2575

Sanctuary Shaftesbury, Estuary House, Peninsula Park, Rydon Lane, Exeter, Devon EX2 7XE Tel: 0800 083 9283

Henry Poad Trust, Fuschia Cottage, 5 The Rodings, Menlot, Liskeard, Cornwwall PL14 3SS Tel: 01579 346 419

Sarsen Housing Association,

Housing 21, 9 Avro Court, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE29 6WG Tel: 0370 192 4000

Sarsen Court, Horton Avenue, Canning Hill, Devizes, Wiltshire SN10 2AZ Tel: 01380 720 027

Sovereign Housing Association, Unit 2, Orchard Court, Heron Road, Sowton industrial Estate, Exeter, Devon EX2 7LL Tel: 0845 712 5577

1 Shakespeare Terrace, 126 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2RH Tel: 023 9282 9319

Johnson Cooper Limited, Phoenix House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EZ Tel: 0845 002 4444

Westcountry Housing Association Ltd,

Coastline Housing Ltd, Ferris House,

MHA, Lyon Court, Walsworth Road,

Hatfield House, Hatfield Road, Torquay, Devon TQ1 3HF Tel: 01803 200 300

Dolcoath Avenue, Camborne, TR14 8SD Tel: 08082 027 728

Hitchin, Herts SG4 9SX Tel: 0113 271 5805

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Sheltered Housing

Buying In most parts of the country, councils and RSL’s receive applications from more people than they can assist. The cost of renting will be made up of a rent plus service, a charge to cover the services provided. Service charges in the majority of ordinary sheltered or retirement schemes is in the range of £20 to £40 a week. People wanting to rent sheltered housing and who have a low income should contact local authority to check their eligibility for housing benefit.

What is Extra Care Housing? If you feel you need more support than sheltered housing but do not want to go into a care home, there are other options available to you. Below is a list of existing terminology in use for Housing with Care. Note: ‘Housing’ means a self contained home with its own front door and a legal right to occupy the property.

The term ‘extra care’ housing is used to describe developments that comprise self-contained homes with design features and support services available to enable self- care and independent living. Extra care housing is popular with people whose disabilities, frailty or health needs make ordinary housing unsuitable but who do not need or want to move to long term care (residential or nursing homes).

Integrated Care and Housing (ICH)

Although older people make up the majority of users of extra care, people with disabilities that are not age related are increasingly making use of this type of housing. Extra care provision comes in a huge variety of forms and may be described in different ways, for example ‘very sheltered housing’, ‘housing with care’, ‘retirement communities’ or ‘villages’.


Used in the private sector, refers primarily to the size of a development (say above 100 housing units) offering a variety of housing types and communal facilities, but not necessarily meals or personal care services.


Used in the voluntary and public sector to refer to a large developments offering a variety of housing types, communal facilities, meals and personal care services.

Extra care housing is expanding and is now offered by local authorities, housing associations and private providers. Occupants of extra care may be owners, part owners or tenants and all have legal rights to occupy underpinned by housing law (in contrast to residents in care homes). Increasingly extra care housing is recognised as an essential component of joint commissioning by health and social care. Extra care is now being used for intermediate care and rehabilitation as well as longer term housing. Extra care developments provide a focus for integrated working to meet housing, health and social care needs.

Assisted Living »»

Used in the private sector to differentiate a more serviced model from standard retirement housing. Personal care services may be available on site or simply ‘facilitated’


Used in the private sector for a top of the range brand of licensed accommodation with care services

Close Care »»

Independent flats or bungalows built on the same site as a care home. Services, including personal care, are often provided by the care home to the residents.

Enhanced Sheltered Housing »»

Used by some local authorities to describe schemes where personal care and support services are available but not 24/7, and therefore do not meet the extra care criteria or standards used by the Housing Corporation and the Department of Health

Extra Care Housing »»

A model of retirement housing with meals and personal care services, and considered as an alternative to residential care.


Housing designed with the needs of frailer older people in mind, which meets the extra care criteria or standards used by the Housing Corporation and the Department of Health.


One Registered Social Landlord’s definition of their high quality housing product and housing related services, with access to a separate registered 24-hour on-site domiciliary care team.

Retirement Village / Retirement Community

Very sheltered »»

Used by some local authorities and housing associations to indicate that design standards and staffing levels are higher than for sheltered housing, but not necessarily indicating that personal care is available on site 24/7.


Used in the private sector for a brand of retirement housing aiming to enable retired people to retain their independence in their own home for as long as possible through the provision of meals, domestic assistance and 24/7 housekeeping staff cover. © EAC

Assisted living homes & Extra care housing in Cornwall Miners Court, Redruth, Cornwall TR15 1NJ. Managed by Coastline Housing Ltd, Ferris House, Dolcoath Avenue, Camborne, Cornwall TR14 8SD Tel: 08082 027 728

Passmore Edwards Court, Barras Place, Liskeard, Cornwall PL14 6AY. Managed by Sarsen Housing Association, Sarsen Court, Horton Avenue, Canning Hill, Devizes, Wiltshire SN10 2AZ Tel: 01380 720 027

Roseland Parc, Tregony, Truro, Cornwall TR2 5RN. Managed by Retirement Villages Ltd, 57 Church Street, Epsom, Surrey KT17 4PX Tel: 01372 731 888

Housing with care »»


A term not yet identified with a specific model, but implying retirement housing offering a range of services not available in standard retirement (or sheltered) housing

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

End of Life

Cornwall Hospice Care runs the county’s only adult hospice service, providing specialist medical care to patients with life limiting conditions and offering practical, emotional and spiritual support to them and their families. There are a total of 24 in-patient beds, as well as day treatments and therapy services provided within the hospices and specialist medical input in hospitals and nursing homes throughout Cornwall. The clinical team includes doctors and nurses; occupational, complementary and physiotherapists; Lymphoedema nurse specialist; social worker and bereavement counsellors, offering an all-encompassing care to improve the quality of life of patients. Nearly 600 adults stayed at the hospices last year and there were around 2000 patient admissions for day treatments and therapies. Specialist equipment plus staff costs add up to around £5.6 million annually – equivalent to nearly £11 a minute. Around 80 pence in every pound has to be met from public support. Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Mount Edgcumbe Hospice Porthpean Road St Austell Cornwall PL26 6AB 01726 65711 St. Julia’s Hospice Foundry Hill, Hayle Cornwall TR27 4HW 01736 759070 If you wish to make a donation or fundraise please call 01726 66869 on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Activity & Therapy Leisure facilities, recreation, rehabilitation and attractions are there to be enjoyed by everybody, regardless of impairment or age. Royal Cornwall Museum Caring For Older Communities Behind every person and every object is a story For the last few years the Royal Cornwall Museum reminiscence service has been tackling health and wellbeing issues for older people throughout Cornwall. Experienced museum staff have delivered reminiscence sessions to over 2000 people in community locations. These enjoyable activities stimulate groups’ conversations about the past, building relationships between people of different backgrounds or ages and bringing normally quiet individuals out of their shells. Reminiscence is particularly effective within care home settings, especially with people suffering from dementia, as it provides participants with both mental and physical stimulation as well as meaning. It also has the potential to lift depression. Each reminiscence session is themed around a Memory Box which is packed with stimulating social history objects, photographs and other resources from the 1930s onwards. The themes include: Beside the Seaside, Childhood, Entertainment, Health, Home Cooking, Home Sweet Home, Looking Good, Make Do & Mend, School Days, The Great Outdoors, and Work, and the museum is working hard to develop more. To book a session or to sign up for training in reminiscence contact Louise McDermott, Community Engagement Officer by email: louise.mcdermott@ or call: 01872 242784.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

The Guide to Getting Out! The new Rough Guide to Accessible Britain contains details of over 175 of the UK’s best attractions catering for disabled people. Now in its second year, the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain was compiled by an army of disabled writers across the country, as well as readers of the first edition of the guide who answered a call from the publishers to give details of their favourite days out. It includes more hidden and off-the-beaten track attractions, and features additional ideas such as bars and restaurants to make the most of a day out. Highlights of the new edition of the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain include: »» Over 175 attractions and ideas for days out covered, including festivals, markets, bars, restaurants, sports arenas and events that are disability friendly. »» Reader Reviews by readers of the first edition of the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain. »» Things Not To Miss section highlighting the top five attractions in categories such as free, heritage, hidden, families and outdoors. »» Listings of useful organisations to make getting out and about even easier. The book is FREE to Blue Badge holders by calling 0800 953 7070 or visiting –not available in the shops.

Free Cinema for Carers Carers who look after a disabled person may be entitled to go to the cinema for free. The Cinema Exhibitors’ Association card (CEA) is a national scheme, however not all cinemas subscribe. To qualify for the card the person must be getting DLA and AA or registered blind, or the holder of a disabled persons rail card. Application forms are available from participating cinemas (see page map to the right) or can be downloaded from, or by calling 0845 123 1292.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11.

Penzance Leisure Centre, 01736 874744 St Ives Leisure Centre, 01736 797006 Carn Brea Leisure Centre, 01209 714766 Helston Sports Centre, 01326 563320 Stithians Watersports, 01209 614076 Truro Leisure Centre, 01872 261628 Ships & Castles, 01326 212129 Water World, 01637 853828 Newquay Sports Centre, 01637 875533 Heron Tennis Centre, 01637 877555 Polkyth Leisure Centre, 01726 223344

12. Dragon Leisure Centre, 01208 75715 13. Par Sports and Recreation Ground, 01726 223691 14. Fowey Community Leisure Centre, 01726 833931 15. Wadebridge Leisure Centre, 01208 814980 16. Camelford Leisure Centre, 01840 213188 17. Lux Park Leisure Centre, 01579 342544 18. Saltash Leisure Centre, 01752 840940 19. Phoenix Leisure Centre, 01566 772551 20. Budehaven Leisure Centre, 01288 353714 21. Splash Leisure Pool, 01288 356191 22. * = Outdoor

Cinemas Participating in CEA

Riding Stables

(see free cinema for carers)

(Please check services with stables before visiting)

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12.

Activity & Therapy

Leisure Centres in Cornwall (Please check details/services/times before visiting)

WTW Cinemas Truro 01872 272894 WTW Cinemas Padstow 01841 532344 WTW Cinemas St.Austell 0871 2003304 WTW Cinemas Wadebridge 01208 812791 UCI/Odeon Plymouth 0871 22 44 007 VUE Plymouth 08710 240 240 Plymouth Arts Centre 01752 206 114 Merlin Cin., Phoenix, Falmouth 01326 313072 Merlin Cin., Flora, Helston 01326 569977 Merlin Cin., Savoy, Penzance 01736 363330 Merlin Cin., Regal, Redruth 01209 216278 Merlin Cin., Royal, St. Ives 01736 796843

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

Chiverton R&D Grp, 0845 241 4330 Duchy College Grp, 0845 241 4366 Mid-Cornwall Grp, 01872 501574 North Cornwall Grp, 0845 241 6377 SW Cornwall Grp, 0845 450 6820

= Tourist Information Centre

21 20

Bodmin & Wenford Railway Courtroom Experience Tintagel Castle


Crealy Great Adventure Park Holywell Bay Fun Park Pencarrow

4 16


Jamaica Inn


Newquay Zoo

Lanhydrock 4 15

Blue Reef



Lappa Valley Steam Railway Dairyland



8 10 9



Cornish Cyder Farm Paradise Park

Saltash 13

Poldark Mine

The Tate, St. Ives

11 St. Austell 3


Geevor Tin Mine 3

12 2

1 10


Mount Edgecumbe House Eden Project

6 1 5


7 6





China Clay Park

Charlestown Shipwreck Centre


World of Model Railways 9 4 Helston

8 7

Royal Cornwall Museum Trelissick House & Gardens

Hall for Cornwall

National Maritime Museum Lands End

Pendennis Castle

The Minack Theatre

Glendurgan Gardens

St. Michaelâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Mount

Trebah Gardens

Porthcurno Telegraph Museum


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

National Seal Sanctuary

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Surfer’s Against Sewage We were founded in 1990 by a group of surfers, who were literally ‘sick of getting sick’ through repeated ear, nose, throat and gastric infections after going in the sea. Forming a local group they set about taking grassroots action to stop the sewage pollution at their local surf breaks in Cornwall. They were swiftly joined by like-minded water-users from around the UK and created what has now become a highly successful national campaign that gives recreational water users a voice on building a clean and safe water environment. SAS has been a major catalyst in the virtual elimination of continuous sewage discharges that were so prevalent when we started back in 1990. This has seen water quality improve greatly in many areas, and helped us all have a cleaner, safer experience in the sea all around the UK. BUT, we must frame this success with the dramatic amount that still needs to be done on all the environmental issues we work on, including sewage. In many cases, such as marine litter, climate change, offshore development, toxic chemicals and shipping there is even more to be done than back 1990. And the recent worrying developments highlighting UK water companies abuse of combined sewer overflows as a means to regularly discharge raw sewage into our rivers and onto our beaches means that the sewage issues still exists, albeit in a slightly different guise.

Green Gyms in Cornwall

»» »» »» »»


The BTCV in Cornwall have a wide variety of projects to get involved with. These include : »» PACT - Practical conservation day projects on Tues, Weds, Fri’s and some Saturdays. »» Saturday projects for students at the Combined Universities, providing practical volunteering opportunities in conservation and horticulture for adults with learning difficulties Youth Projects - Introducing young people to practical conservation work and employment opportunities Community Projects - Working with and supporting community groups managing local sites & projects NVQ - Training courses in countryside management, wildlife ID and other skills and the NVQ in Environmental Conservation Volunteer Officers - You could help lead BTCVs projects by becoming a VO. You will gain valuable experience and we provide free training in practical conservation skills as well as training in first aid, leadership, driving our minibus, and the opportunity to complete a free Diploma in Environmental Conservation etc. Becoming a VO has helped many people go on to full time employment. Conservation holidays

For more information please contact us: BTCV, Conservation Centre, Tuckingmill Valley Park, Tolgarrick Road, Tuckingmill, Camborne, Cornwall, TR14 8NH Tel & Fax: 01209 610 610 |


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

SAS campaigns today cover six main areas: sewage, marine litter, climate change, toxic chemicals, shipping and protecting the recreational wave resource. The recently launched Protect Our Waves campaign strand, helps protect surf spots from environmental damage, negative impacts on wave quality and to safeguard water users right of access to ensure sports such as windsurfing, surfing, kayaking and others can benefit from the very best sporting wave resources the UK offers. SAS represents all recreational water users in the UK, from surfers and sailors, through to bodyboarders and windsurfers. The campaigns

protect the coastal environment for all to enjoy, and promote a clean and safe water environment for people to enjoy and practice a wide variety of sports that rely on these marine resources. Membership and Shop Enquiries: Campaign Enquiries: Fundraising and Sponsorship Enquiries:

01872 553001 01872 555950 01872 555945

Get Active Cornwall! Get Active Cornwall has been developed with funding from the Department of Health, and is being coordinated by the Cornwall Sports Partnership; in collaboration with the Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Primary Care Trust, LEAP Active and Cornwall Council, amongst a number of other national bodies and Cornish organisations. A full list of every organisation involved in Get Active Cornwall can be found on our Partners’ page. Primarily a resource for Cornish residents to get involved in a physical activity, the website is also a key tool for organisations to promote themselves and what they do, and we are always looking for more partners to come on board to deliver an even stronger sport and physical activity community for the county.

getinspired... getmotivated... getactive! www.getactive

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

The Woodland Trust has over 1,000 woods across the UK covering more than 20,000 hectares (50,000 acres). Why not pack up a picnic and explore your local Woodland Trust wood? They are free to visit.

Woodland guides The Woodland Trust’s Exploring Woodland guides, in association with publisher Frances Lincoln, describe beautiful woods to visit in different regions and countries of the UK. Fully illustrated with maps and photographs, these are essential for anyone who enjoys kicking up autumn leaves, likes to relax in the dappled shade of an ancient tree or loves catching the spring glory of carpets of bluebells. Both public and privately-owned woods are featured and all are accessible. Colourfully written entries capture the wood’s atmosphere, describing historical features, seasonal interest, setting and wildlife to spot.

Activity & Therapy

Woodland Trust Woods

Treatments & Therapies St. George’s Natural Health Centre, Alexandra House, 17 St George’s Rd, Truro, TR1 3JD Tel: 01872 272800, www.naturaltherapy Lanner Natural Health Clinic, Cleveland House The Square, Lanner, Redruth Tel: 01209 314300, Fax: 01209 213201 The Hypnotherapy Clinic, Lower Venn, St. Ive, Liskeard PL14 3NB. Tel: 01579 363802 North Cornwall Hypnotherapy, St.Breward, Bodmin PL30 4LU, Tel: 0845 3951923 / 0779 251 0291 Camborne Complimentary Healing Centre Camborne TR14 8SH, Tel: 01209 711504 / 07773 714968 Movement Solutions, Tinners Court, Back Quay, Truro TR1 2LL, Tel: 01872 241956,

Riding for the Disabled Association RDA is proud to be celebrating 40 years of delivering opportunities Woodland Trust membership The Woodland Trust is the UK’s leading woodland conservation charity. We own and care for over 1,000 woods, covering 50,000 acres (20,000 hectares), virtually all of which are open for all to visit. We have the support of 194,000 members who are crucial to our work. Their support helps us acquire and restore ancient woodland sites, fight to save woods under threat, campaign on important issues such as climate change, and create new woodland for wildlife and people to enjoy. Membership of the Woodland Trust costs from as little as £2.75 a month and every new member will receive a free tree dedicated in their name. Joining us is easy! For every new member who joins, we can care for and protect half an acre of native woodland. Membership Sign up: Freephone: 0800 026 9650 Email:

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

for therapy, achievement and enjoyment to people with disabilities. Founded as a National organisation in 1969, RDA now has 500 Member Groups across the UK – together, these Groups help 23,000 people to take part in riding, carriage driving and vaulting activities. RDA gives individuals the opportunity to: »» Reach therapeutic goals »» Achieve their personal ambitions »» Combat social isolation »» Develop life skills »» Experience the outdoors »» Connect with animals We recommend that you phone your Local County Chairman on 0845 450 7027 for further details on the groups in your area, volunteering or riding. Please remember that our County Chairmen are also volunteers so if you can not contact them immediately please do try again.

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Information This section includes general information and advice regarding care, further information can and should be obtained. Useful local and national contacts are also listed. Contact Adult Social Care Adult Care and Support offices are open 8.45am - 5.15pm Mondays to Thursdays, and 8.45am - 4.45pm on Fridays. Adult Care and Support Headquarters, Old County Hall, Station Road, Truro TR1 3AY Email: Central Cornwall Truro Cathedral Close, Wilkes Walk, TR1 2TE St Austell Sedgemoor Centre, Priory Road, PL25 5AB East Cornwall Bodmin Priory House, Priory Road, PL31 2AD Liskeard Westbourne House, West Street, PL14 6BY Launceston Hendra House, Dunheved Road, PL15 9JG West Cornwall Camborne The White House, 24 Basset Road, TR14 8SL Penzance Roscadghill Parc, Heamoor, TR18 3QX

0300 1234 131

0300 1234 131 0300 1234 13116

0300 1234 131 0300 1234 131 0300 1234 131

0300 1234 131 0300 1234 131

When Adult Care and Support offices are closed you can call 01208 251 300 for emergencies only.

Hospital Trusts NHS Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 0845 170 8000 (Peninsula Community Health) Sedgemoor Centre, Priory Road, St Austell, PL25 5AS PALS 01726 627967 Cornwall Partnership NHS 01726 291000 Foundation Trust Customer Support Team: 01726 291109 Headquarters, Porthpean Road, St Austell, PL26 6AD PALS 01726 29 1109 The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LJ PALS


Cornwall Council One Stop Shops: Our 22 One Stop Shops bring advice and information on all council services closer to where you live, including Housing, Benefits, Council Tax, Business rates, Refuse and recycling. In any One Stop Shop you can get help to fill in forms, hand in documents and speak to a council specialist either in person or by phone. Each One Stop Shop has a wide range of information available and the friendly staff can answer many questions about council services. Where we can’t answer your enquiry straight away we’ll provide you with a free phone service to the appropriate team. We have confidential meeting rooms available for appointments with council staff and our partners. Benefits and Housing specialists visit a number of the One Stop Shops regularly, as do advisors from a range of non-council help organisations.

Call Cornwall Council on 0300 1234 100 for contact telephone numbers Bodmin, Bude, Callington, Camborne, Camelford, Falmouth, Fowey, Hayle, Helston, Launceston, Liskeard, Looe, Newquay, Penryn, Penzance, Redruth, St Austell, St Ives, Saltash, Torpoint, Truro, Wadebridge,

3 - 5 Barn Lane, PL31 1LZ The Library, The Wharf, EX23 8LG The Town Hall, New Road, PL17 7BE Dolcoath Avenue, TR14 8SX College Road, PL32 9TL 34 Church Street, TR11 3EF The Library, Caffa Mill House, 2 Passage Lane, PL23 1JS Frank Johns Centre, 56 Queens Way, TR27 4NL Isaac House, Tyacke Road, TR13 8RR Market House Arcade, Market St, PL15 8EP Luxstowe House, Greenbank Road, PL14 3DZ The Library, Millpool, PL13 2AF Marcus Hill, TR7 1AF Saracen House, Higher Market St, TR10 8HU St Clare, TR18 3QW Chi Resrudh, Station Road, TR15 2FE 39 Penwinnick Road, PL25 5DR The Guildhall, Street-an-Pol, TR26 2DS The Library, Callington Road, PL12 6DX The Library, Fore Street, PL11 2AG Carrick House, Pydar Street, TR1 1EB Higher Trenant Road, PL27 6TW

01872 250000 01872 252793

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Bodmin Hospital

01208 251300

Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT

Bodmin NHS Treatment Centre

01208 262520

Boundary Road, Bodmin, PL31 2QT

Camborne Redruth Community Hospital

01209 881688

Barncoose Terrace, Redruth, TR15 3ER

Duchy Hospital

0800 917 0022

Penventinnie Lane, Truro, TR1 3UP

Edward Hain Community Hospital

Boscawen House, Chapel Hill, Truro, TR1 3BN

British Red Cross

Information and advice to carers, details of local support groups, advocacy, carers’ support, and young carers’ support throughout the county.

01726 832241

Citizens Advice Bureau’s in Cornwall 01326 435800


Launceston General Hospital

01566 765650

(Appointments only tel.) Shire Hall, Mount Folly Square, Bodmin, PL31 2DQ

01579 335600

Neetside, Bude, EX23 8LB

College Road, Launceston, PL15 9JD

Clemo Road, Liskeard, PL14 3XD

Longreach House

01209 881879

Barncoose Terrace, Barncoose, Redruth, TR15 3ER

Newquay Hospital

01637 893600

St. Thomas Road, Newquay, TR7 1RQ

Poltair Hospital

01726 291100


01752 857400

Launceston (Appointments only tel.) 01208 264691

College Road, Camelford, Pl32 9PL

08444 994188

Mulberry Passage, Market Strand, Falmouth, TR11 3DB

01736 365438

Hayle Community Centre, Queenway, Hayle, TR27 4NS

08444 994188

Trengrouse Way Community Centre, Trengrouse Way, Helston, TR13 8AF

Cornwall Council One Stop Shop, Launceston, PL15 8EP

01720 422392


08444 994188

Duchy House, 21 Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AB

01736 753234

Trelissick Road, Hayle, TR27 4JA

West Cornwall Hospital (Penzance)

08444 994188

The Community Centre, South Terrace, Camborne, TR14 8SU


Belmont, St. Mary’s, Isles Of Scilly TR21 0LE

St Michael’s Hospital

Camborne (Kerrier) CAB,

0845 155 8094

Higher Port View, Saltash, PL12 4BU

St Mary’s Hospital

Callington Library, Coronation Road, Callington, PL17 7DR


Porthpean Road, St. Austell, PL26 6AD

St Barnabas Hospital


01872 250000

Apsley Road, Plymouth, PL4 6PL

St Austell Community Hospital

01288 354531


Treliske, Truro, TR1 3LJ

Royal Eye Infirmary


01208 74835 01208 264691

01736 575570

Madron, Penzance, TR20 8SR

Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

01872 243531

Cornwall Rural Community Council, 2 Princes Street, Truro TR1 2ES

Meneage Road, Helston, TR13 8DR

Liskeard Community Hospital

01872 267 950

Lighterage Hill, Newham, Truro TR1 2XR Short-term help at home, following discharge from hospital; support & practical help to people faced with an unexpected crisis (accident or illness); transport service.

01326 434700

Park Road, Fowey, PL23 1EE

Helston Community Hospital

01872 266388

Carers’ Support Service

Trescobeas Road, Falmouth, TR11 2JA

Fowey Hospital

Age Concern in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

01736 576100

Albany Terrace, St. Ives, TR26 2BS

Falmouth Hospital

Local and Regional Contacts

Looe (Appointments only tel.)

01579 349513

Looe Library & One Stop Shop, Millpool, W. Looe, Looe, PL13 2AF

01736 874000

St Clare Street, Penzance, TR18 2PF

Newquay, Penwith

Out Of Hours Service, Adult Care & Support Tel: 01208 251300

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

08444 994188

The Public Library, Marcus Hill, Newquay, TR7 1BD

08444 994188

The Guildhall, St Johns Road, Penzance, TR18 2QR


08444 994188

3 & 4 Station Hill, Redruth, TR15 2PP


08444 994188 843832

(Appointments only tel.) 01752 Ground Floor, 18 Belle Vue Road, Saltash, PL12 6ES

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details



Hospital Contacts

St Austell,

08444 994188

39 Penwinnick Road, St Austell, PL25 5DR

St Ives,

01736 365438

The Library, Gabriel Street, St. Ives, TR26 2LU


01752 845515

CHATLINK, Old School House, Macey Street, Torpoint, PL11 2AJ


08444 994188

The Library, Union Place, Truro, TR1 1EP


01208 264691

Wadebridge Town Hall, The Platt, Wadebridge, PL27 7AG

Connexions Centres Bodmin

01208 265544

Chestnuts Young People’s Centre, 83 Fore Street, Bodmin, PL31 2JB Fax: 01208 265545

Memory Cafes A Memory Café is somewhere where people with dementia and their carers can visit to support each other and share information. The groups usually offer reminiscence-based activities. Health and social care professionals are also on hand to answer questions and offer advice in an informal setting. Below is a list of the Memory Cafés in Cornwall. We are trying to keep this list up to date but if you know of a Memory Cafe which is opening, or one that we have missed, please let me know -

Launceston Memory Café Every other Sat 2pm-4pm Cym Downing, Tel: 01566 774425 enqs@memorycafelaunceston.

Liskeard Memory Café First Fri of every month, 2pm-4pm Katy Mort, Tel: 01579 344 671 Pat, Tel: 01503 272424

Lostwithiel Memory Café Every alternate Thurs 2pm-4pm Jo Hague, Tel: 01208 871196 Email Laura Michael, Tel: 01208 871683

Newquay Memory Cafe Every 2nd & 4th Thurs 2pm-4pm Keith Dynan, Tel: 07968 960 694

Cornwall Memory Cafe Network Newsletter

Mullion Memory Café Every 1st & 3rd Fri, 2pm-4pm Mrs. Lillian Watson, Tel: 01326 240709

Penzance Memory Café

Impact (Penzance Young People’s Centre), 2 Alverton Street, Penzance, TR18 2QW Fax: 01736 330357

Cornwall Memory Cafe Network Newsletter, Sue McDermott, Memory Cafe Network Project Manager, sends us the Memory Cafe newsletter, Weekly Sparkle with Carers Notes for each issue aspx?page=20305

St Austell

Bodmin Memory Café

Every 3rd Fri, 2pm-4pm Katy Mort, Tel: 01579 344 671 Pat, Tel: 01503 272424


01209 713530

Camborne Young People’s Centre, Old Magistrate Court,Adelaide Street, Camborne, TR14 8HH


01736 362244

01726 61833

St Austell Young People’s Centre, 1 Biddicks Court, St Austell, PL25 5EW


01872 274865

Alternate Mon, 10am-12pm Kerry Banbury, Tel: 07771 980181

Bude Memory Café

Truro Young People’s Centre, The Leats, Truro, TR1 3AG

Every other Fri 2pm-4pm Kim Tressider, Tel: 01288 356060 Jan Dickerson, Tel: 01288 352099

Transport Access People - TAP

Camborne Memory Café

Boscawen House, Chapel Hill, Truro, TR1 3BN Cornwall tel: 01872 223388 Devon tel: 0845 0539100 Mini Buses: 01872 223388

Out of Hours Mental Health & Social Care Support for Adults Tel: 01208 251300

The Out-of-Hours service is for: • older people • people with physical disabilities or sight/hearing problems • people with a learning disability • people with a mental health problem • vulnerable children and families The Out of Hours service is available: Weekdays - from 5.15pm - 8.45am Weekends - from 4.45pm on Friday - 8.45am the following Monday All public holidays


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Every 1st & 3rd Wed, 1.30-3.30pm Lisa Johnson, Tel: 01209 713980

Camelford Memory Café Every 2nd & 4th Mon, 2pm-4pm Betty, Tel: 07960 599 430 Margaret, Tel:07867 783728.

Falmouth Memory Café Every 2nd & 4th Tues, 2pm-4pm Tel: 0845 475 3319

Helston Memory Café Every 1st & 3rd Tues, 2pm4pm from 16 March 2010 Margaret, Tel: 07974 728435 Chris, Tel: 07867 783728.

Isles of Scilly Memory Café Every Fri, 2pm-4pm Rowan, Tel: 01720 422148 Jane, Tel: 01720 422002.

Every 2nd & 4th Thurs, 2pm-4pm Margaret Ford, Tel: 07974 728435

Polperro Memory Café

Saltash Memory Cafe Every 2nd Wed, 2pm-4pm Theresa Parsons, Tel: 07540 920302

St Austell Memory Cafe Members Room, Council Building, Penwinnick Rd, St Austell. Every 1st & 3rd Mon, 2pm-4pm,

St Ives Memory Café Memorial Hall, Trencrom Lane, Carbis Bay. Every 1st & 3rd Thurs, 2pm-4pm Chris Muxlow, Tel: 07867 783728 Margaret Ford, Tel: 07974 728 435

Truro Memory Café Every 1st & 3rd Thurs, 1.45pm-3.45pm Wendy Grose and Julian Balsham, Tel: 01872 324 333

Wadebridge Memory Café Every 2nd & 4th Sat, 2pm-4pm Margaret, Tel: 07867 783728 Wendy, Tel: 07891 840219

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Royal Cornwall Museum River Street, Truro, TR1 2SJ Louise McDermott, Tel: 01872 242784

Arthritis Care

Reflections, Little Beside House, St Day Tel: 01209 822300


Words and Minds - reading for well being Words and Minds is a weekly reading group happening at a library near you. The group is open to everybody, and you can join in as much or as little as you like. A good book can make you feel better, or take you anywhere in the world. It takes place Thursdays 10 am - 12 noon at St Ives Library and Truro Library. Tel: 0300 1234 111.

National Contacts 0845 257 9406

The Admiral Nursing Direct Helpline, has been set up to provide people with an opportunity to talk through their worries and concerns about themselves, friends or relatives with dementia. Lines are manned by experienced Admiral Nurses and responds to requests for help with diagnosis, medication, support and care at home, professional carer support, and finance. The lines are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11am and 9pm. Callers can leave messages any time and request a call back, or email questions to us

020 8835 9280

Action on Elder Abuse, PO Box 60001, Streatham, SW16 9BY |

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

08705 134925

A non profit making public information, advisory and advocacy service elderly care funding advice. |

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

03000 616161

Care Quality Commission National Correspondence, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA

Carers UK

020 7490 8818

Prevent carers from becoming emotionally drained, and from forgetting to take care of themselves. Fax: 020 7490 8824 | |

Counsel and Care

Reflections offers the following services: »» Day care for people with dementia/memory problems - currently open Monday-Friday »» Respite day breaks for carers, with flexible hours to cater for carers who may work »» Carers support group running every Friday, 10am - 12noon - all carers more than welcome »» A cognitive stimulation group running every Fri 10am - 12noon, in partnership with Age Concern and supported by the PCT. »» An evening memory cafe, every Wednesday 6.308.30pm. All welcome no matter where you live.

Action on Elder Abuse,

0808 800 4050

Working with and for all people with arthritis to put them in control of their arthritis, and their lives. »» Open 10.00am to 4.45pm Mon-Sat »» Reminiscence sessions for groups of older people across Cornwall. »» Reminiscence training for people working with older people. »» Loans service of Memory Boxes for reminiscing and other activities (available for loan post-training). The boxes are packed with stimulating social history objects, photographs and other resources from the 1930s onwards. The Pictures to Share collection is now available as part of the Memory boxes, and photos from the past are also available from the Cornwall Photo Image Bank website.

Admiral Nursing DIRECT

020 7306 0606

The UK’s leading care and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers. Fax: 020 7306 0808 |

0845 300 7585

National charity getting the best care and support for older people, their families and carers. Twyman House, 16 Bonny Street, London, NW1 9PG Advice line open: Mon - Fri, 10am-12noon and 2-4pm, except Wed afternoons.

Cruse Bereavement Care Cornwall Area

0844 477 9400 0172 676 100 DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line)

01736 759 500

Department of Health 0870 600 55 22 Department of Health, Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, London SW1A 2NS Tel: 0207 210 4850 | Fax: 0207 210 5952 Textphone: 0207 210 5025 | | DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line) 01736 759 500 Directgov Directgov is the UK government’s digital service for people in England and Wales. It delivers information and practical advice about public services, bringing them all together in one place. You can access Directgov on the web, on your mobile or on your television. The government uses Directgov to get information to the public in times of crisis or emergency.

Elderly Accommodation Council

020 7820 1343

Elderly Accommodation Counsel’s aim is to help older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs. It was founded in 1984, and became registered as a charity in 1985. It is now more commonly known as EAC.

First stop

0800 377 7070 |

Hearing Dogs for the Deaf

01844 348100

Help the Aged/Age UK

020 7278 1114 |

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details



The Alzheimers Society,

Other groups for people with dementia and their carers include:

Leonard Cheshire Disability

020 3242 0200

66 South Lambeth Road, London, SW8 1RL


0808 808 1111

The Learning Disability Helpline is a free, confidential service. Information on anything from money and benefits to services and support groups.

Mind (National Association for Mental Health) Mind is the leading mental health charity in England and Wales. We work to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress. Tel: 020 8519 2122 | Fax: 020 8522 1725 |

The National Homecare Council

0845 450 0230

Advice & information, support group for people with osteoporosis

NHS Direct

0845 46 47


0808 8000 306

Free phone out-of-hours listening service for emotional distress and mental health. 8pm-1pm Fri-Mon

Parkinson’s Disease Society

They aim to help people with Down’s syndrome to live full and rewarding lives. They campaign about issues affecting people with learning disabilities. Down’s Syndrome Association Langdon Down Centre 2a Langdon Park Teddington TW11 9PS

0845 230 0372

E-mail: website:

01379 678243

is a representative of public sector organisations concerned with the commissioning and direct provision of homecare services, supporting people in their own homes

National Osteoporosis Society

Down’s Syndrome Association

EMERGENCY SERVICES Fire, Police, Ambulance. If you are in or near an emergency call either of these numbers.

999 or 112

You can use either number in the UK, from a landline or your mobile. When in Europe it is well worth remembering 112.

Someone to turn to...

0800 800 0303

Police Enquiries

01202/01305 222222

Emergencies: 999


0845 767 8000

SANEline volunteers currently handle an average of over 2000 calls every month from men, women and children affected by mental health problems as well as their carers and health professionals. The lines are open 6pm to 11pm every day. Help includes practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems, including family and carers.

Stroke Association

0845 3033100

Advice & information for stroke patients & their families. Bradley House, Harrier Way, Exeter EX2 7NY |


0300 123 2000

If you’re feeling stressed because of job insecurity, redundancy, debt or financial problems, don’t wait for things to get really bad before you seek help. Lines are open daily, 8am-10pm

Willow Foundation

01707 259777

The only charity of its kind providing special days for seriously ill 16 to 40 year olds throughout the UK.


029 2023 2668

A volunteering service which offers a range of practical services to help and support older people to live well, maintain their independence and play a part in their local community.


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Frank offers advice and guidance for people with concerns on drug issues. For yourself, family member or friend, Frank is a confidential advice service available online and by phone. They can advise of the nearest offices for help and offer solutions when there seems to be no way out. 0800 77 66 00 - -

Community Contacts Directory You can find it on the Cornwall Council website under Health and Social Care. Or you can use this address: Here are some of the things you can do with the Community Contacts Directory pages: »» Get touch with an organisation who will help with Advocacy. »» Find a Befriending scheme for someone who is having mental health problems. »» Find support for someone who is a Carer on our Carers organisations page. »» Find an organisation who can help someone with aphasia or a brain injury, ME or MS on our Physical Disability organisations page. »» Find out about sport in Cornwall for someone with learning disabilities on our Learning Disability – Getting in touch or Sport and Leisure organisations. If you know of other organisations we should include please email and let me know. Sue Squire, Public Information Officer, Adult Care and Support, Cornwall Council, Old County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY. Tel: 01872 322533 |

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Information & Advice Publications Listed here different publications produced by Cornwall County Council and other bodies which you might find helpful

Help outside normal working hours

Cornwall County Council Public Information Officers, Adult Care and Support Information Team Old County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY

Home adaptations Information for young carers Learning Disability Support Guide 1 - Different kinds of support Learning Disability Support Guide 2 - Your pathway to support and advice

Tel: 01872 322 532

Both of these guides can be found in pdf format on the learning disability Support and advice page.

You can order copies in three ways:

Looking for social care in Cornwall (information for people who may be self funding)

By using the printable Publications order form. This form should be returned to the Public Information Officers, whose details are at the bottom of the page. You can also order publications on-line using our Online Publications Order form. These leaflets are also available at Cornwall One Stop Shops.

Moving to a care home Rehabilitation services for older people and adults with a disability Say no to abuse leaflet Self directing your care - please see Easy read information about personal budgets Services for carers Services for older people Services for people with dementia Services for people with a drug or alcohol problem

Adult Care and Support Services - General Access to personal records Alerters Guide (a guide to Safeguarding Adults for Professionals) Assessing your needs Bereavement guide Care and Support Services - British Red Cross

Services for people living with AIDS/HIV Services for people with a physical disability Services for people with a sight or hearing loss There is some information which appears in all our printed leaflets which you can find in: Is there anything else I should know?

Charter for people with care needs in Cornwall Direct Payments Scheme Information about Direct Payments in easy read format Employability Cornwall - information for local employers Employability Cornwall - information for people with learning disabilities Extra help at home when you leave hospital

Help with care in your own home Planning your retirement income Help with legal advice Your employment choices Your guide to healthy living Planning to live abroad Make the most of the Internet: Save time and money Care home checklist Staying Safe Lesbian, gay or bisexual When someone dies Going solo Avoiding scams Care homes Going into hospital Housing options Health services Useful contacts Claiming benefits: a guide for people over State Pension age Claiming benefits: a guide for people of working age Advice for carers Staying Steady Managing incontinence Tax Guide Adapting your home Managing your money Money matters Winter wrapped up Save energy, pay less Staying cool in a heat wave Tracing lost money Flu prevention Healthy eating Bereavement

ACIG01 ACIG05 ACIG06 ACIG11 ACIG12 ACIG16 ACIG24 ACIL25 AgeUKIG02 ID8675 AgeUKIG04 AgeUKIG05 AgeUKIG06 AgeUKIG07 AgeUKIG08 AgeUKIG09 AgeUKIG10 AgeUKIG11 AgeUKIG12 AgeUKIG13 ID8809 AgeUKIG15 ID8803 AgeUKIG17 AgeUKIG19 AgeUKIG20 AgeUKIG27 AgeUKIG30 AgeUKIL1 AgeUKIL2 AgeUKIL3 ID7589 ID7811

Age UK Advice line: 0800 169 6565

Information Factsheets Moving back to the UK Planning a Holiday


Have your say! How to make a compliment, comment or complaint about Adult Care and Support

Turn over for Right

Information Guides

Home Safety Checker An introduction to scanners Better hearing Better sight Buying a computer Chat sites Digital cameras Fitter feet Healthy bones Make surfing easier Setting up an email account Strength and balance exercises for healthy ageing Ten hints for silver surfers


380 0309

Solutions >>>>

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


Factsheets Help with heating costs Buying retirement housing Television licence concessions Rights at work Dental care – NHS and private treatment Finding help at home Making a will Council and housing association housing Anti-social behaviour in housing Paying for permanent residential care Help with looking for work or starting your own business Planning for retirement: money and tax Funding repairs, improvements and adaptations Dealing with an estate Income tax Transgender issues in later life Housing benefit and council tax benefit Information about telephones State pension NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care

FS1 FS2 FS3 FS4 FS5 FS6 FS7 FS8 FS9 FS10 FS11

FS12 FS13 FS14 FS15 FS16 FS17 FS18 FS19 FS20

Council tax Arranging for someone to make decisions about your finance or welfare Help with continence Self-directed support: Direct Payments and Personal Budgets Public transport and concessions Planning for a funeral Finding care home accommodation Attendance allowance Tenants rights: rent Hospital discharge arrangements Deprivation of liberty safeguards Paying for care in a care home if you have a partner Deprivation of assets in the means test for care home provision LA assessment for community care services Disability equipment and how to get it Getting legal advice NHS services Paying for care and support at home Pension credit The social fund and other sources of financial help Disability living allowance

Syncope in the Care Home What is Syncope? Syncope is the medical term for a blackout that is caused by a lack off blood supply to the brain. This is very common, and occurs in roughly half of all people during their lifetime. There are many causes of Syncope, but the most common is Reflex Syncope. Fainting may be simple, where the person gently collapses to the ground usually after feeling dizzy and sweaty. It may be more complex when patients experience symptoms such as jerking of muscles or limbs and even incontinence, and some people may take a while to come around. An older adult (65 years and over) is particularly prone to Syncope. This is because older people are less able to deal with falls in blood pressure as the body’s mechanisms slow over the years.

FS21 FS22

FS23 FS24

FS26 FS27 FS29 FS34 FS35 FS37 FS38 FS39 FS40 FS41 FS42 FS43 FS44 FS46 FS48 FS49 FS52

Capital, income and meanstested benefits Carer’s allowance Guide to benefits for people under state pension age Paying for temporary care Choice of accommodation Help with health costs Treatment of property in the means test for permanent care home provision Finding private rented accommodation Retirement (sheltered) housing Equity release Resolving problems and making a complaint about care Tenants rights: repairs Tenants rights: Security of tenure Water advice Dealing with disputes at work Park Homes Advance decisions, advance statements and living wills Driving and parking Challenging welfare benefit decisions Debt management Intermediate care The law on age discrimination Safeguarding older people from abuse

FS53 FS55 FS56 FS58 FS60 FS61 FS62

FS63 FS64 FS65 FS66 FS67 FS68 FS69 FS70 FS71 FS72 FS73 FS74 FS75 FS76 FS77 FS78

Syncope is estimated to account for 10 - 20% of falls which cause injuries.

Common Causes and Preventativ Syncope undetected 30% of patients aged 65 years and overSyncope who have in Older Peop experienced Syncope will not be aware that they are losing consciousness, Ortho SYNCOPE is the medical term for blackout they instead will report that they have fallen. This due bytoa asudden brieflackloss of (Low that isiscaused of blood supply to the brain. In older people (65 years memory in the time just before losing consciousness Orthostatic Hy and over) there(medically is often more thantermed one potential blood pressure f cause of syncope. Syncope can have many retrograde amnesia). As a consequence, doctors be likely diagnose aOrthostatic Hyp differentmay underlying causes; to some can be but can be com complex whilst others can be easily treated. mechanical fall and patients will not be investigated for the actual cause, such Prevention Adv Medication as low blood pressure, or an arrhythmia (irregular, too fast or too slow heartyour bed. Sleep degrees. This Syncope can be caused by a side effect of pressure up an rhythm. Unfortunately this may leave the loss of consciousness untreated. some medications. The biggest culprits are heart and blood pressure medications, sleeping pills, anti-depressants and anti-inflammatory drugs. These medications can decrease blood pressure and can increase your chance of fainting.

pressure drop w

Patients with lo support stockin blood pooling in

What can increase my chance of fainting as an older adult? 1. Chronic medical problems, long term problems such as diabetes, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, strokes and mini strokes and Parkinson’s disease. 2. Multiple Medications, this may be due to part of their own action or how they affect one another.

Syncope misdiagnosed Syncope is often misdiagnosed in the event of a fall because there are many risk factors for falls in older adults. People are Prevention Advice: Once prescribed, your doctor should reviewin your medications very aware of deteriorating eye sight or ‘a knee giving way’ older age regularly to ensure they are not causing problems. as Takea medications a causes, but Syncope should also be investigated causeasofprescribed; falls. do not take extra pills to make up for missed doses. If youof have anyblood concerns,pressure. you can discuss Care home residents are vulnerable to episodes low these with your healthcare professional. There are several reasons for this; they are less active and sit for longer Dehydration periods, they can be on medications that affect blood pressure and Syncope can occur if you have not drunk enough fluids. they tend to drink less fluid than healthy people. On top of that, people Prevention sure youto are getting in care homes are more vulnerable to illness and areAdvice: moreMake prone enough fluids throughout the day. It is that in adults drink two litres (four infection. During illness, blood pressures tendrecommended to fall and some pints) of water a day. It is best to drink first in the morning, before getting up, and people this becomes a big problem when theything stand up (postural before meals. Increased fluid intake will support your blood pressure. Remember that hypotension) causing them to fall and sometimes blackout. if you have been ill, exercising, or there has

Syncope causes falls Though it is not widely known, Syncope cause a significant amount of falls in older people. Syncope and falls are the most common reasons for older patients to attend Accident and Emergency.

If you are worried about Syncope, it is recommended that you speak to your Approved by: STARS doctor first. For more information contact STARS on: For further information contact ST 01789 450564  | or visit

been warm weather you should increase your fluid intake further.

The Heart Rhythm Charity

Affiliated to Arrhythmia Alliance


Care choices have you at a loss? Call

Postpr (Lowering of b

Postprandial Hy pressure within Postprandial H circulation is n and this leads Symptoms of P be subtle with a when standing a

Prevention Adv syncope after m brief walk after back or sitting i raised. These blood pressure in your feet. Lar (for example br be avoided.

Founder and Chief Executive: Trudie Lobba Trustees: Susan Broatch Andrew Fear Rose Ann Cathrine Reid William Whitehouse Registered Charity No. 1084898 ©2009 Printed October 2009

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details

Soluti ns

Pointing you in the Right Direction




Find the care you need  with RightCareSolutions RightCareSolutions is a free service.  Available online, over the phone, and via email, its a great way to identify suitable services as listed by CQC*. Be  specific about the kind of care services you require, and we’ll deliver appropriate results suiting your needs. Fill out the  form below if you are looking for Care Homes, Nursing Agencies, or Domicillary/Home Care.

Enquirers Details (if applicable)

Care Required 


Care Home with Nursing


Care Home without Nursing


Home Care


Domicilary Care


Learning Disabilities Supported Living

Post Code

Adult Placement Services

Telephone Number

Nursing Agency

Where did you hear about us?

Further Requirements Details of person requiring care Long Stay Title

Day Care





Relationship to enquirer

Respite Nursing Care

County of Residence



Preferred Areas


Further information

Please photocopy and send this form to; RightCareindex, Unit 1 & 2 Mount Hawke Business  Park, Highfield Rd, Mount Hawke, Truro, Cornwall,  TR4 8DZ. Or contact us below...

01872 321 327

I authorise RightCareIndex to conduct the search on my behalf I authorise RightCareIndex to pass my details to relevant providers

*Results provided from The Care Quality Commision  Listings

Care choices have you at a loss? Call

on 01872 321 327 or see page 91 for more details


They always made sure you had the very best. Now it’s their turn.

At South West Care Homes we believe we provide a level of care that is truly unique. We understand the value of the individual and appreciate how people, of all ages, value their independence and privacy. All our homes are relaxed, feature properties where residents can live their lives how they choose, safe in the knowledge that help is on hand should they need it. With homes throughout the South West we are the region’s leading independent provider of care for the elderly, with all our homes run by professional, passionate and caring staff. We provide specialist services such as dementia care, disability support, as well as access to financial and legal advice. For more information, give us a call or visit our website.

South West Care Homes, the care they deserve.

Kenwyn Crediton, Ashfield Exmouth, Ashley House Langport, Lake View Newton Abbot, Sunningdale House Perranporth, Manor House Plymouth, Michaelstowe Plympton, Cambrian Lodge Portishead, Beechmount Torquay, The Firs and Emily’s Witheridge Nr Tiverton.

0800 324 7007

RightCareIndex for Cornwall 2011-12  

The health and social care directory for Cornwall 2011-12. Consulted by the health and care sector -professionals, providers and authorities...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you