Strategic Plan 2022 – 2025
2 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
CONTENTS Welcome to Peace Lutheran College Framing the Future 4 Acknowledgement of Country 6 Peace Lutheran College Past and Present Our History 8 Foundation Statements Our Mission 10 Our Vision 10 Our Values 10 Strategic Pillars & Initiatives Our Purpose 12 Our Story 14 Our People 16 Our Future 18 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 3
Our Lutheran identity is central to all that we do at Peace Lutheran College, and there is much in our current culture, vision and values that will remain relevant to the needs of learners for years to come, and the lives they are likely to live. We value the fundamental importance of co-education, of diversity, of our commitment to a holistic education, and our culture of inclusiveness and acceptance of differences. This strategic plan, Peace Lutheran College: Framing the Future has been created at a time of significant change in our society, and in education across Australia. Acknowledging the need to respond in a structured and reflective way to rapid change, our Plan outlines our vision to prepare the next generation to live an ethical life, and lead in a time of complex change and globalisation. Our community has responded with reflections and feedback that have informed our plans going forward. Thank you! In many ways, the hard work has only just begun. Peace Lutheran College Council is now responsible for the enacting of Framing the Future, and the development of a complimentary charter, that includes a site masterplan and supportive strategic financial plan, is now a key theFramingfocus.Future
4 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
Jeremiah 29:11 Every blessing, Kathy Close - Chair Peace Lutheran College Council Elisabeth Fenske - Principal Peace Lutheran CollegePeaceLutheran College
| Strategic Plan 5
In an ever-changing educational landscape, Peace Lutheran College’s Framing the Future will act as a guiding blueprint, not a definitive plan. Continual review and recalibration will be necessary as we stay tuned to new possibilities and opportunities. A culture of continuous improvement, adaptation and reinvention is essential as we strive to keep the College both relevant and forward thinking.
We look forward with hope and confidence to the role education plays in the formation of our young people, as they become well equipped to make an enduring difference in the world. The sense of belonging and personal confidence fostered in every student at the College, is grounded in our belief that each person is a unique creation of God, and is underpinned by our values of Peace, Excellence, Respect and Community.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
6 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan Acknowledgement of Country We acknowledge the Djabugay and Yirrganydji people as the traditional custodians of the lands where Peace Lutheran College now stands – and recognize that these have always been places of teaching and learning. We pay respect to their Elders, past, present, and emerging and acknowledge the important role Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People continue to play within the Peace Lutheran Community.
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 7
“Peace is very diverse. Instead of isolating people who might be different, we are inclusive and accepting. We care about each other and each person is supported to be their best, in their own way.” - Jacob V (Peace Lutheran College Graduate)
Our History Founded in 1994, Peace Lutheran College is part of the larger system of Lutheran schools in Queensland Lutheran Education Queensland. As well as serving Lutherans in North Queensland, Torres Strait Islands, Papua New Guinea and further afield, Peace is a school with a mission to serve families by providing a quality Christian education for all.
8 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
In the Cairns Post on 6th August 1993, an article, written by Mr David Spanagel (foundation College Council Chair), stated that, “… a multicultural school, funded by the Lutheran Church, Hope Vale and Wujal Wujal Aboriginal communities would aim to reach out to students in PNG and SE Asia, attempting to address the issue of racial tension and incorporate multiculturalism in a positive manner”.
Past and Present Peace Lutheran College Strategic Plan
Peace Lutheran College
What a task, and yet one that we started, boldly trusting God always.
Peace Lutheran College provides dynamic, agile and stimulating learning spaces for young people; in an environment where teachers are encouraged to promote student collaboration, enquiry, critical thinking, and problem solving in a safe and supportive setting.Peace
Peace Lutheran College today is a testimony to a task that has had many hands to the wheel, developing every aspect of the school into its current niche in the Cairns community. The College provides the Cairns community with a further choice of quality education. Peace Lutheran College is a Kindergarten to Year 12 Christian, coeducational day and boarding school where the student body is one of diversity; a place where everybody is somebody. Peace strives to be at the forefront of effective and innovative education and is known for its culture of inclusiveness and strong sense of community.
Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 9
PURPOSEOUR PEOPLEOUR FUTUREOUR 10 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic STRATEGICPlan PILLARS
Our Mission To develop resilient and compassionate young people who use God’s guidance to contribute positively to our community and the world. Our Vision To be at the forefront of effective and innovative education; empowering tomorrow’s citizens, today. Our Values To achieve our Mission at Peace Lutheran College, we will value Peace, Excellence, Respect and Community by nurturing grace, harmony and high aspirations, and by showing respect for all through the building of positive relationships. Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 11 STORYOUR
12 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic PlanPeace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
At Peace Lutheran College, Our Purpose is to develop a holistic learning and teaching environment that encourages all students to thrive as they seek to become enthusiastic life-long learners. Within this setting, Our Purpose is to serve one another as Jesus Christ served us. We will aspire to develop students who are positive contributors to our community and the world and who are equipped with the skills they need to succeed in tomorrow’s world.
In order to achieve Our Purpose, we will:
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 13Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
2. Seek out, promote, and support initiatives that will improve student access to co-curricular and extracurricular opportunities, and encourage all students to take part.
3. Develop an age-appropriate Service Learning continuum from K–12 that includes opportunities for students to experience the joy and transformation that occurs when making a difference in the lives of others.
1. Embed within the curriculum, at all levels, and in all key learning areas, initiatives that will support and encourage students as they take ownership of their ‘lifelong-learning’ journey.
14 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic PlanPeace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
At Peace Lutheran College, Our Story is one of growth, where students are valued as individuals and are encouraged to have the self-belief to reach their individual and collegial potential. This is strengthened by our community coming together through the development of positive relationships and partnerships.We aim to recognise our achievements and tell Our Story both within and beyond our existing communities
| Strategic Plan
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 15 To enhance Our Story, we will:
5. Continue to take every opportunity to celebrate diversity, and promote intercultural understanding.PeaceLutheranCollege
2. Actively share our good news, our story and our Mission throughout the wider community by developing a clear and effective communication strategy.
1. Develop a deliberate and visible culture of recording College activities, processes and programs to ensure that cultural literacy is maintainedregardless of the changes that will inevitably take place over time.
3. Grow an active and engaged Alumni community by developing a responsive database, and encouraging past scholar visits and gatherings centred on the College.
4. Deliberately seek to foster strong, sustainable and unique relationships and partnerships with organisations including the World Heritage Region, universities, TAFE, international schools and agencies.
16 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic PlanPeace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
At Peace Lutheran College, Our People are core to the future development of a healthy and considerate school community. We seek to strengthen our school culture by nurturing our students, staff and parents in an environment that values positive and respectful relationships. As we support Our People, we aim to provide members of the Peace community with opportunities to engage in and embrace programs that enhance their wellbeing, and support their journey as they grow in faith.
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 17Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
2. Develop structures and evidencebased strategies to monitor and support the wellbeing of students and staff.
3. Celebrate and foster a sense of belonging and pride in the College community.
1. Value students as decision-makers and develop a student leadership program that is embedded in the learning culture of the school, and responsive to students’ needs.
To support Our People, we will:
4. Work closely with staff to develop, in partnership, a framework that recognises the professional needs of all staff members, supports early career teachers, nurtures existing staff, recognises inspirational practitioners, and gives priority to professional opportunities.
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
18 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan
OUR FUTURE At Peace Lutheran College, Our Future will be one in which our values of Peace, Excellence, Respect and Community are at the forefront of our actions and planning. Our sustainable future will foster a culture of excellence and improvement where our students are empowered to understand current environmental issues and act as stewards of God’s creation.
College | Strategic Plan
2. Implement an organisational change that will strengthen connections across the whole school community from kindergarten to Year 12.
Our sustainable future will encompass all areas of the College and its operations through a best practice approach to governance and business operations including finance, capital resources, personnel management and marketing. As we work towards building Our Future at Peace Lutheran College, we will: 1. Research and establish a K-12 educational program that intentionally opens the world of environmental discovery and learning by taking advantage of our unique natural environment.
3. Review the current Masterplan in light of the Strategic Plan for the Future with the purpose of providing students and staff with the opportunity to learn and teach in a 21st Century built environment that supports the strategic initiatives.
Peace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 19
4. Prioritise the development and maintenance of a governance and management framework to align all operational areas with the Strategic Initiatives as stated in Peace Lutheran College: Framing the Future. Lutheran
20 Peace Lutheran College | Strategic PlanPeace Lutheran College | Strategic Plan 2022 – 2025