THE LEADING EVENT FOR PUBLIC RISK MANAGEMENT
REGISTER NOW AT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG
EARLY BIRD RATES END APRIL 3!
Managing risk in our cities, counties, schools, and states, presents unique challenges and PRIMA’s Annual Conference is the only conference dedicated to YOU:
PUBLIC SECTOR RISK MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONALS
PRIMA’S 2023 ANNUAL CONFERENCE OFFERS
55+ EDUCATION SESSIONS
7+ NETWORKING EVENTS
PRIMA’s 2023 Annual Conference, PRIMA23, will bring together thought leaders in the public risk management profession who will share their experiences and solutions to some of risk management’s toughest problems.
Join more than 1,200 of your public risk management colleagues for an exceptional learning and networking opportunity IN LONG BEACH!
VISIT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG | 3
PRIMA 2023 SPONSORS
THANK YOU TO OUR AMAZING SPONSORS! (as of 1/7/23):
4 | PRIMA’S 2023 ANNUAL CONFERENCE | JUNE 4–7, 2023 | LONG BEACH, CA
SILVER GOLD PLATINUM BRONZE
Unless otherwise noted, events are included in the full conference registration.
SUNDAY, JUNE 4
6:30 – 8:30 PM
Kick off the best educational and trade show in public risk management Sunday evening at the Cove. There’s no better way to get into the conference frame of mind than meeting up with old friends, networking with fellow leaders in the industry, and building new relationships! *Guest tickets can be purchased online or onsite.
MONDAY, JUNE 5 – TUESDAY, JUNE 6
HEADSHOT LOUNGE IN THE BUSINESS EXCHANGE
9:00 AM – 1:30 PM
Get a complimentary professional headshot portrait to use on resumes, social media and creating the perfect brand, YOU!
MONDAY, JUNE 5
PRIMA’S AWARDS PRESENTATION & LUNCHEON
12:15 – 1:15 PM
Let’s Celebrate! Join your fellow peers as we celebrate outstanding risk managers within the profession, including the distinguished Public Risk Manager of the Year.
MONDAY, JUNE 5
DESSERT RECEPTION IN THE BUSINESS EXCHANGE
1:15 – 2:15 PM
Directly following the awards presentation join our fellow honorees and your friends in the Business Exchange to celebrate.
TUESDAY, JUNE 6
PRIMA’S SIGNATURE SOCIAL EVENT
7:00 – 10:00 PM | BALLAST POINT BREWERY LONG BEACH
Ballast Point is a stunning waterfront venue in Long Beach Harbor with panoramic views of the Pacific. Join your colleagues and friends for a breathtaking sunset sky as we relax and unwind.
VISIT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG | 5
MONDAY, JUNE 5 |
SPEAKER: JOHN PETZ
SIGNIFICANCE IN SIMPLE MOMENTS
Success and relationships in today’s risk management world, are not finish lines, something we conquer, or even single accomplishments. Mutually beneficial relationships are in fact a series of simple moments that matter to those we serve. Relationships are what connect us as leaders to the communities we serve along with our team members, partners and all human beings. It’s how we re-engage the lost art of human connection.
Motivational keynote speaker and author Jon Petz shares the extraordinary value in turning mundane moments into SIGNIFICANT, memorable—even MAGNIFICENT chances to positively impact those you serve and protect—every little corner of your world and the people in it!
TUESDAY, JUNE 6 |
IMPACT OF UNCONSCIOUS BIAS ON RISK MANAGEMENT AND PERSONAL EXCELLENCE
SPEAKER: SONIA ARANZA
This dynamic presentation reveals how the complexity of our humanity and the neurology of bias impacts our decision making. Sonia Aranza is a 25+ year veteran in the field of Diversity & Inclusion and brings a wealth of experience. She was selected to execute congressionally mandated programs for several landmark cases. She is on the Faculty of Howard University’s Executive Diversity Program. This presentation provides insights to elevate your personal excellence in decision making.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7 |
BUILDING A PROFESSIONAL
PANELISTS: BOB WILSON | WORKERSCOMPCOLLEGE.COM
MARK PEW | WORKERSCOMPCOLLEGE.COM
YA’SHEAKA WILLIAMS, ESQ. | QUINTARIOS, PRIETO, WOOD & BOYER, P.A.
Democratized education for all stakeholders in workers’ compensation has not always been easy or effective and has often been narrowly focused and inconsistently provided. How can you create a level of professionalism with universal best practices across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions that also creates a sense of community and comradery? Bob Wilson, Mark Pew, and Ya’Sheaka Williams will interactively share with the audience how to recognize a training gap, ideate methods to address the issues, create a diverse team to build the vision, and then make it a reality.
6 | PRIMA’S 2023 ANNUAL CONFERENCE | JUNE 4–7, 2023 | LONG BEACH, CA
SUNDAY, JUNE 4
1:00 – 7:00 PM REGISTRATION
3:45 – 4:45 PM CHAPTER LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP
6:30 – 8:30 PM WELCOME RECEPTION
MONDAY, JUNE 5
7:15 – 8:00 AM FIRST TIME ATTENDEE BREAKFAST (By Invite Only)
7:30 – 8:30 AM
7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
1:15 PM PRIMA’S
2:15 PM DESSERT
Sponsored by 1:15
3:00 PM BUSINESS EXCHANGE 2:15
4:15 PM EDUCATION SESSIONS
JUNE 6 7:30 – 8:30 AM BREAKFAST 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM REGISTRATION Sponsored by 8:00 – 9:00 AM TUESDAY KEYNOTE ADDRESS Sponsored by 9:30 AM – 2:00 PM BUSINESS EXCHANGE 9:45 AM – 12:30 PM EDUCATION SESSIONS 12:30 – 2:00 PM LUNCH IN THE BUSINESS EXCHANGE Sponsored by 2:00 – 4:15 PM EDUCATION SESSIONS 7:00 – 10:00 PM PRIMA’S SIGNATURE SOCIAL EVENT Sponsored by WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7 8:00 – 9:00 AM BREAKFAST 8:00 – 11:00 AM REGISTRATION Sponsored by 8:30 – 11:30 AM EDUCATION SESSIONS 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM KEYNOTE LUNCH AND LEARN Sponsored by VISIT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG | 7
Sponsored by 8:00
9:30 AM OPENING GENERAL SESSION & KEYNOTE ADDRESS Sponsored by 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM
10:45 AM – NOON
AWARDS LUNCHEON &
RECEPTION IN THE BUSINESS EXCHANGE
PRIMA’s Annual Conference education sessions share best practices and cover timely topics impacting today’s public risk manager. The education content varies from risk management basics to emerging trends in the profession. Education sessions are offered as 30-minute cram sessions and traditional 1.25 hour classroom sessions.
See below for a sneak peek at the 2023 education sessions in Long Beach!
ADVANCED RISK MANAGEMENT ADMINISTRATION
• A Unique Approach to a Captive in the Public Sector
• Creating Value through Enterprise Risk Management
• Future Trend Challenges You Might Not Anticipate
• Local Government Goes to Washington: Supreme Court Cases Affecting Local Government Entities and Officials
• Measuring the Effectiveness of Risk Mitigation Strategies
• Teamwork Makes the Cyber Risk Dream Work
• When Crisis Hits Your City
• Wholistic Cyber Risk Management
• Your Black Swan Is Someone Else’s Gray Rhino
BASIC RISK MANAGEMENT ADMINISTRATION
• Award-Winning Ideas and Lessons from PRMYs
• Building a Culture of Risk Management
• Demystifying Actuarial Reports: A Non-Technical Approach to Understanding Your Claims Experience
• Enhance your Organization’s Risk Management Diet with ERM Vitamins!
• Navigating the Changing Landscape of Law Enforcement Liability
• Shining A Light: How to Hire and Compensate Your Broker While Guaranteeing Full Transparency
• State of the Market and Risk Mitigation Solutions for Public Entities
• Why Do Bad Things Keep Happening?
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS/HUMAN RESOURCES
• Being More Emotionally Intelligent: Improving Relationships & Reducing Stress
• Catching Zzzzzzzz’s and the Workplace
• Developing Next Gen for Risk & Insurance Careers
• Managing Risk in Employee Benefit Plans
• Putting a Plug in the Brain Drain: Employee Retention
• Solve Harassment, Bullying & Aggression at Work: A Few Case Studies
• What’s Your Point: Communicating for Greater Influence
• Your Role in Creating a Workplace Culture of Civility and Respect
• Don’t Manage Vendors: Elevate Strategic Partners
• Employment Practices: You Have Headaches? We Have Solutions
• Going the Distance: Fleet Management for Public Entities
• The Basics of Accident Reconstruction and Evidence Preservation
• What’s Next for Qualified Immunity?
• When Tweets Go Too Far: Public Employees and the First Amendment
• Why Are You Afraid to REALLY Address Distracted Driving?
8 | PRIMA’S 2023 ANNUAL CONFERENCE | JUNE 4–7, 2023 | LONG BEACH, CA
• A Practical Approach to Contractual Risk Transfer
• A Primer on Certificates of Insurance: It’s All in the Details!
• Cyber Coverage: Congratulations, You Have It…But Do You Know How to Use It?
• Don’t Pay Twice! Indemnification, Contractual Liability & Additional Insured
• Property and Casualty Pricing for 2024
• Pool Information Exchange
• Risk Manager and Broker: They Are Best Friends!
• Social Inflation: Resurgence, Measurement and Mitigation Strategies
• Take the Dive: Risk Pools v. Private Insurance
• Armed or Unarmed Educators: The Debate Intensifies
• Fundamentals of Risk Management for Law Enforcement
• Liability for Police Encounters with Citizens with Physical and Mental Disabilities
• ERM Roundtable
• Mental Health in the Workplace: Individual Challenge or Business Imperative?
• Police Body Worn Camera Video Review as a Risk Management Tool
• Preventing the Crisis in Law Enforcement
• Sexual Misconduct Allegations: An Ever-Changing Legal Landscape
• What is MFA and is it Really THAT important?
• Accident Investigation in the Workplace
• Addressing Public Entities Biggest Workers’ Compensation Challenges
• Establishing a Whole Person Recovery Mindset in Workers’ Compensation
• Harnessing the Injured Worker’s Influence on Claim Outcomes
• Having Fun with Culture Development
• How Claims Strategies Can Elevate Your Organizational Reputation and Visibility Within the Community
• The Key Components of a Successful Return-to-Work Program
• Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and How Best to Manage It
• Using AI/Machine Learning to Predict Medical Exposure for Claims
VISIT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG | 9
INSIDE THE BUSINESS EXCHANGE
In Long Beach, you’ll have the opportunity to meet with exhibitors ready to learn what you need to make your job easier, more streamlined and cost-effective.
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR PAST EXHIBITORS:
ADA Site Compliance
Alliant Insurance Services, Inc.
Aon Risk Solutions
Apex Insurance Services
AS&G Claims Administration, Inc.
AssetWorks Risk Mgmt, Inc.
CBIZ Valuation Group, LLC
ClearRisk Company Nurse
Employer Advisory Services
HCA Asset Management
Injury Management Organization, Inc.
Innovative Claims Strategies LLC
Intact Insurance Public Entities
McGriff Insurance Services
Midwest Employers Casualty
Momentum Engineering Corp.
Moody Neurorehabilitation Institute
Munich Reinsurance America, Inc.
Napa River Insurance Services
Old Republic General Insurance Group
Origami Risk LLC
P&C Insurance Systems, Inc.
Praxis Claims Consulting
MONDAY, JUNE 5
9:30 AM – NOON
1:00 – 3:00 PM
TUESDAY, JUNE 6
9:00 AM – 2:00PM
ProCare Transportation & Language Services
Rehab Without Walls NeuroSolutions
Select Actuarial Services
Servpro Industries, LLC
State and Local Government Benefits Association
Texas NeuroRehab Center
Tokio Marine HCC
Trident Public Risk Solutions
Tristar Insurance Group
USI Insurance Services
Ventiv Technology, Inc.
Willis Towers Watson US LLC
YOUNG & Associates
10 | PRIMA’S 2023 ANNUAL CONFERENCE | JUNE 4–7, 2023 | LONG BEACH, CA
HOTEL & CONFERENCE REGISTRATION
All conference activities, unless otherwise noted, will be at the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center.
PRIMA has secured a negotiated rate at the Hyatt Regency, Renaissance, and Westin Long Beach. PRIMA asks that you stay at the following contracted hotels:
Hyatt Regency Long Beach (PRIMA headquarters)
200 South Pine Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802
.1 Miles/3-minute walk to Convention Center
Room Rate: $249 + state and local taxes
Renaissance Long Beach
111 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA 90802
.2 miles/4 minute walk to Convention Center
Room Rate: $239 + state and local taxes
Westin Long Beach
333 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA 90802
.4 Miles/8-minute walk to Convention Center
Room Rate: $249 + state and local taxes
Visit conference.primacenterl.org for information on PRIMA’s housing policy, getting around Long Beach and special accommodations.
PRIMA23 Attendee Conference Pricing
Conference Registration Includes:
• Conference materials
• Admittance to all educational and general sessions
• Admittance to PRIMA’s Business Exchange
• Breakfast and lunch, Monday–Wednesday
• Welcome Reception and Awards Luncheon
• Tuesday Night’s Signature Event
PRIMA Members save $200 on conference registration!
Not a PRIMA member? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and start saving TODAY!
REGISTRATION CATEGORIES EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION RATES (BEFORE APRIL 3) REGULAR RATES (AFTER APRIL 3) ONSITE PRIMA Government Member $660 $760 $785 Government Non-Member $860 $960 $985 PRIMA Corporate Affiliate Member $760 $860 $885 Corporate Non-Member $960 $1,035 $1,085
VISIT CONFERENCE.PRIMACENTRAL.ORG | 11 REGISTER