THEjMARYL�ND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION r--1 r--, r- r-
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772 TTY: (301) 952-4366 www.mncppc.org/pgco
� .... �
February 13, 2017
Historic Preservation Commission
Howard Berger, Supervisor Robert Krause, Acting HPC Liaison Historic Preservation Section Countywide Planning Division
Jennifer Stabler, Archeology Planner Coordinator Historic Preservation Section Countywide Planning Division
HAWP 2016-036 - Addison Family Cemetery Relocation (Historic Site #80-050) REVISED Procedural Background
The applicant has requested a Historic Area Work Permit (HA WP) for the relocation of the Addison Family Cemetery (#80-050), a designated Historic Site, located on Parcel 3 of the Beltway Parcel at National Harbor on East Balmoral Drive in Oxon Hill, Maryland. The application was filed on August 11, 2016, and accepted as complete on that date. To clarify the record, the applicant submitted a letter on September 9, 2016 indicating that the application should be amended to include a previously submitted Geophysical Surveys report conducted by T.J. Horsley prepared in November 2014. A public appearance is scheduled to be held by the Historic Preservation Commission on September 20, 2016. The subject HA WP application and the associated application (HA WP 2016-07) that would re bury human remains and relocate above-ground features of the cemetery are not the only regulatory processes applicable to this proposal. In accordance with state law (Code of Maryland Criminal Law Article, Title 10, Subtitle 4. Crimes Relating to Human Remains) the applicant will be required to receive written authorization from the State's Attorney for Prince George's County to remove and re-bury human remains and associated funerary objects in addition to the required Historic Area Work Permit application approvals. On February 6, 2017, the applicant submitted a supplemental memorandum for HAWP 2016-36 in which the applicant proposes to reinter the human remains from the Addison Family Cemetery at St. John's Episcopal Church Historic Site (80-024-07). St. John's Church is historically associated with the Addison family. Colonel John Addison was an original member of the vestry of St. John's Church and was instrumental in financing the construction of the parish church. Henry Addison, a descendant of Col. John Addison, served as the second rector of the church from 1742-1789 and was responsible for the construction of the second, current church building on the site. Walter Dulaney Addison, the nephew of Henry Addison, served as rector from 1801-1809. Walter Dulaney Addison is believed to buried in the Addison Cemetery. Because of the close ties of the Addison Family with St. John's Church in Broad Creek, this site would be a suitable location for the re-interment of the burials from the Addison Family Cemete1y.
HA WP 20 l 6-036 February 13, 2017 Page 2 of7
The following are the Findings and Conclusions and Staff Recommendations in this case. Findings 1.
The subject designated Historic Site is the Addison Family Cemetery. The site designation in the County Approved Historic Sites and Districts Plan (2010) is 80-050. Dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth century, the Addison Family Cemetery is sited approximately 28 feet above the surrounding grade and is enclosed by a chain li6k fence. Archeological investigations in 1985 indicated that 15 to 25 burials may be present. Recent non-invasive remote sensing surveys conducted within the cemetery property suggest that as many as 70 burials could be present. This burial ground was once part of the Oxon Hill Manor plantation established by Thomas Addison in the early eighteenth century. The plantation was occupied by members of the Addison family until 1810, when the prope1ty was purchased by Zachariah Berry; members of the Berry family and their tenants occupied the mansion until it burned in 1895. The last known burial in the cemetery is that of William Meade Addison, who died on July 24, 1871. The Environmental Setting of the Addison Family Cemetery is 0.13 acres.
The project involves: a.
The relocation of the Addison Family Cemetery, consisting of eight marked graves and an unknown number of unmarked graves from its present location within Parcel 3 of the National Harbor Beltway Parcel to a secure and more appropriate location that will provide perpetual care, maintenance and commemoration (Attachment 1: HA WP 2016036, Addison Family Cemetery Relocation including Proposed Work Plan prepared by R. Christopher Goodwin & Associates).
The potential relocation and subsequent re-burial of the remains found within the Addison Family Cemetery will require a detailed archeological investigation. The objectives of the investigations are: 1) to identify the grave shafts of all individuals interred within the Addison Family Cemetery; 2) to document the locations and characteristics of the identified grave shafts; 3) to remove grave shaft fill material as necessary to document the interred individuals, any associated coffin material or grave goods, and all remaining grave shaft fill material; 4) the placement of all human remains and associated grave goods and coffin materials in approved containers labeled with the appropriate provenance information; and 5) forensic analysis, as feasible and appropriate, of the removed remains to identify characteristics that may contribute to the identification by gender, race, and/or approximate age at death of the interred individuals.
Transportation of all remains to the new location by a licensed funeral director, in coordination with M-NCPPC Historic Preservation Section staff.
Reburial of all human remains from the Addison Family Cemetery at a dedicated site at St. John's Broad Creek Church located at 9801 Livingston Road in Oxon Hill, Maryland, approximately 2.95 miles south of the current site, in a configuration and orientation acknowledging the original burial pattern to the extent practicable.
Resetting the original headstones and footstones in the same configuration as the original burial ground.
Placement of four granite markers for the corners of the 6,000-square-foot burial plot at St. John's Church and an interpretive marker commemorating the history and contributions of the Addison family, and those buried with them, to the history of Prince
HA WP 2016-036 February 13, 2017 Page 4 of7 c.
The parcel on which the Addison Family Cemetery is located was established as a 0.13acre parcel (Parcel 3) on a plat recorded in Plat Book NLP 153:56 on June 14, 1990. The boundaries of this parcel were partially based on investigations of the cemetery by an archeological consultant, Patrick Garrow and Associates, Inc., in 1985. At the time, the cemete1y contained six marked graves. In addition to historical research, five backhoe trenches were excavated to identify any grave shafts not associated with a marker in an area that appeared to be raised above the surrounding terrain. At least 15 potential burials were identified tluÂˇough these investrgations. The archeologists concluded that the earlier burials were located to the east and the later to the west. A thick layer of fill was placed over the burial ground around 1810, when Oxon Hill Manor was sold out of the Addison family. The Addison family retained the right to use the burial ground and several family burials occurred after the sale. The latest known burial is that of William Meade Addison, who died in 1871. Based on historical research, the archeologists concluded that the cemetery could contain an additional 30 to 40 burials. These investigations did not examine the area to the west of the marked burials.
The area around the cemetery was graded in the early 1990s in anticipation of the construction of the project then known as Port America. By 2005, a chain link fence was installed around the top of the hill encircling the burial ground (currently about 28' above the current ground surface). In 2009, Historic Preservation Staff requested that the Peterson Companies install a second, 9' high fence around the base of the hill to protect it from vandalism.
In November 2014, the applicant retained the services of Dr. Timothy J. Horsley to conduct non-invasive geophysical surveys in and around the Addison Family Cemetery to more clearly define the limits of the burials. The total area enclosed by the interior fence is approximately 0.383 acres. A high-resolution ground-penetrating radar (GPR) survey was conducted, in addition to an ea1ih resistivity survey to include areas inaccessible to GPR. The GPR survey covered an area of 0.276 acres and the resistivity survey covered an area of 0.284 acres. The investigations identified 17 probable burials, 35 possible burials, and up to 18 tentative burials, for a total of up to 70 "burial-like" anomalies. Dr. Horsley estimated that the likely extent of the burial ground measures approximately 19 m north-south (62.34 feet) by 26 m east-west (85.30 feet), although the extent of soil disturbance extends across an area measuring 28 m (91.86 feet) north-south by 30 m (98.43 feet) east-west. (Attachment 2: Addison Family Cemetery, Report on Geophysical Surveys, October 30 - November 1, 2014, T.J Horsley, November 2014, Horsley Archaeological Prospection, LLC)
The most recent Detailed Site Plan application that includes the Addison Family Cemetery, DSP-07073-03, was approved by the Planning Board on March 17, 2016. This application proposed the retention of the Addison Family Cemetery within a contemplative area surrounded by a walkway, landscaping and interpretive signage.
In reviewing other situations involving the relocation of a historic site, staff finds that if the Addison Family Cemetery is moved, the Historic Site designation, 80-050, located on Parcel 3 of the National Harbor Beltway Parcel, should be identified as Site ofAddison Family Cemetery.
In addition, the applicant has submitted an application for the redetermination of the Environmental Setting of the original site of the Addison Family Cemetery. The Historic Preservation Commission could revise the Environmental Setting of Historic Site 80-050 (Site of Addison Family Cemetery) from its present 0.13 acres to a small area of ground that could
Addison Family Cemetery Relocation Proposed Work Plan Prepared by: R. Christopher Goodwin & Associates, Inc. (RCG&A) For: The Peterson Companies Introduction The Peterson Companies has proposed the relocation of burials from the Addison Family Cemetery (18PR176; PG-80-050) in Oxon Hill, Prince George's County, Maryland to an established cemetery with perpetual maintenance at St. Barnabas Episcopal/Anglican Church (PG-76A-4) in Temple Hills, Prince George's County, Maryland. The Addison Family Cemetery is associated with Oxon Hill Manor/Addison House (18PR175), constructed circa 1710 - 1711 by Colonel John Addison. The house was occupied by the Addison family until 1810, when it was sold to Zachariah Berry. Berry and later, his son Thomas, occupied the manor house until the mid-nineteenth century. The house was destroyed by t ire in 1895, and the plantation property was later subdivided and sold for development. The approved Environmental Set ting for the Addison Family Cemetery is an area comprising 0.054 acres of land within the Beltway Par cel, a Mixed Use-Transportation Oriented (M-X-T) zone within the National Harbor multi-use develop ment. The cemetery is located in Prince George's County Planning Area 80 (M-NCPPC 2010) and is listed in the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT) site inventory as archeological Site I 8PR176 (Addison Family Cemetery) and in the Prince George's County Inventory of Historic Resources as Historic Site 80050 (Addison Family Cemetery). The Addison Family Cemetery is subject to Subtitle 29 (Preservation ofHistoric Resources) of the Prince George's County Code (M-NCPPC 2010), as well as to stipulations put forth in the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) dated August 2, 2000, the approved Conceptual Site Plan (SP-98012), and the De tailed Site Plan (DSP-07073) for National Harbor. The MOA for National Harbor was developed in con sultation with the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT), the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), and the Peterson Companies. Article JTI of the MOA provided for relocation of the cemetery, in consultation with and with the approval of M-NCPPC and the MHT. Appropriate procedures for archeological identification, exhu mation, analysis of remains if applicable, and reinterment of the remains in a suitable new location were specified in the MOA. This archeological Work Plan has been prepared as a planning document for the archeological excava tions and analyses that are pivotal to the relocation of the Addison Family Cemetery (l 8PR.l 76; PG-80050). This archeological Work Plan provides a brief summary of the results of prior cultural resources investigations of the Addison Family Cemetery, and describes the objectives and the proposed methodol ogy for the archeological identification, exhumation, and documentation of individuals interred in Addi-
241 Ea s t Fo urth Stree t, Suite 100 Fre d e ri c k, Maryl a n d 2170 1 (301) 694-0428 Fax (301) 695-5237 frederick@r cgoodwin.com www.rcgoodwin.com Lawren ce, KS Frederick, MD Tallahassee, FL New Orleans, LA Las Cruces, NM
Addison Family Cemetery Proposed Work Plan RCG&A July 12, 2016 Page 2 son Family Cemetery, in support of the cemetery relocation. The Work Plan also provides a schedule for completion ofthese tasks. After completion of the archeological investigations and osteological analyses outlined in the Work Plan, the relocation project would proceed to reinterment ofthe remains. It is understood that an agreement has been reached with the St. Barnabas Church in Temple Hills, Maryland for reinterment of the Addison Cemetery remains within an approximately 6,000 sq. ft. area, wherein the fenced, locked, gated cemetery will be situated. Reinterment would take place under the supervision of Rev. Shell of St. Barnabas Church, with support by a professional funeral director and the project archeologist. Historic Context The Addison Family Cemetery (I 8PR176) is associated with Oxon Hill Manor / Addison House (18PR 175), a former large plantation that was home to the Addison family during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. In 1687, Colonel John Addison purchased the lands on which the cemetery is locat ed. When Colonel Thomas Addison inherited the property in 1705 following his father's death, he con structed a large brick manor house on a hill overlooking the Potomac River. That house, known as Oxon Hill, replaced an earlier earthfast house that stood on the property. The property continued to be passed down through the Addison family until 1810, when Walter Dulaney Addison sold the property to Zacha riah Berry. The Addison family retained rights to the family cemetery and continued to use it as a burial ground through at least the last quarter of the nineteenth century. It is likely that the cemetery was main tained until circa 1895, when the manor house was destroyed by fire. The house was not rebuilt, and the property appears to have remained vacant until its sale in 1927 (McCarthy 2010). The Addison Family Cemetery first was recorded with MHT in 1979 during a cultural resources study in advance of improvements to the MD 210/1-495 interchange (Epperson 1980). During that same project, Epperson also recorded the Oxon Hill Manor site (18PR175) and the Addison Mausoleum (18PR177), which was separate from the Addison Family Cemetery. Since 1979, four archeological investigations, including three remote sensing studies, have been completed at the Addison Family Cemetery (18PR176). Initial detailed investigation of the cemetery was undertaken in 1985 (Garrow and Espenshade 1985). That investigation included excavation of five mechanized trenches to locate grave shafts, hand excavation in the locations of standing markers, and recordation of the markers. The cemetery was thought to include at least 17 burials, with a potential population of 30-40 burials (Garrow and Espen shade 1985). The proposed relocated "New Addison Cemetery" will be on lands that have been conveyed or granted by prior Addison heirs for the establishment of the St. Barnabas Parish of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese ofPrince George's County, Maryland (the "Church") and its accompanying cemetery. Additionally, por tions of the Church property are also listed as resources within the County's adopted Historic Sites and Districts Plan (M-NCPPC 20 I 0). Three remote sensing surveys have been conducted within the cemetery, one in 2004 (Markell 2004), one in 2013 (Quantock 2013), and one in 2014 (Horsley 2014). Because ofthe nature ofremote sensing, these
CHRISTOPHER GOODWIN & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Addison Family Cemetery Proposed Work Plan RCG&A July 12, 2016 Page 4 pleted on the site (Garrow and Espenshade 1985; Markell et al. 2004; Quantock 2013; Horsley 2014). The Work Plan has been developed in consultation with the M-NCPPC, the MHT, and the Peterson Compa nies. RCG&A initiated consultation with the M-NCPPC and the MHT in June 2016, at the direction of the Peterson Companies. All archeological work will be conducted by experienced professional archeologists and will be super vised by senior personnel who meet or exceed the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Standards in Archeology and Historical Archeology. All archeological work will be conducted in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards and Guidelines for Archeology and Historic Preservation (48 FR 44716); with the Advisory Council's Treatment of Archeological Properties (1980); the Standards and Guidelines for Archeological Investigations in Maryland (Shaffer and Cole 1994); with Subtitle 29 of the Prince George's County Code (M-NCPPC 2010), Preservation of Historic Resources; with the Guidelines for Archeological Review, M-NCPPC Prince George's County Planning Board (Adopted May 2005); and with Maryland law (Criminal Law Article 27, Sections 10-401, 10-402, 10-403, and 10-404, and Health General Article Section 4-215 of the Annotated Code of Maryland). Mechanized excavations will com ply with Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA)'s standards for Trenching and Excava tion Safety (29 CFR 1926, Subpart P), and will be carried out by an operator who has experience on simi lar projects. Permit Applications State law (Criminal Law Article 27, Sections 10-401, 10-402, 10-403, and 10-404, and Health-General Article Section 4-215 of the Annotated Code of Maryland) requires that permission from the State's At torney and a permit from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene be obtained prior to disturbing or moving an abandoned cemetery. It is understood that the Peterson Companies/National Harbor Beltway LC will assume responsibility for obtaining the necessary permission and Disinterment Request and Af firmation permit from the State's Attorney and the Permit for Disinterment, Transit, and Reinterment from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Pursuant to Subtitle 29 of the Prince George's County Code (M-NCPPC 2010), a Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP) summarizing the history, current condition, and executed agreements related to the Addi son Family Cemetery has been prepared by National Harbor Beltway LC. Submission of the HAWP for review by the Prince George's County Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) is pending. This archeo logical Work Plan, following review by M-NCPPC and the MHT, will be included as part of the HA WP. In addition to these permits, Miss Utility/811 will be notified in advance of any archeological fieldwork that anticipates subsurface disturbance. Initial Mapping The Addison Family Cemetery currently is maintained as grassy open space. Several young deciduous trees stand within the open space, which also includes at least five headstone markers, a footstone marker,
CHRISTOPHER GOODWIN & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Addison Family Cemetery Proposed Work Plan RCG&A July 12, 2016 Page 6 archeological team. It is assumed that no more than approximately 18 - 24 inches of topsoil will need to be removed to expose the grave shafts in most portions of the cemetery. Where modern fill material has been deposited or previous land grading has occurred, additional excavation may be required to expose undisturbed surfaces. All soil removal will be monitored by a professional archeologist, who will direct the backhoe operator during the overburden removal process. All shaft locations will be cleaned by hand using flat-bladed shovels, hoes, and trowels to verify the shaft location and dimensions. Once exposed, the location of each grave shaft will be recorded using a Trimble GeoXH 6000-Series GPS unit and a Topcon GTS-303 Elec tronic Distance Machine (EDM). The characteristics of each grave shaft, including its dimensions and soil matrix, will be recorded on standardized forms. In addition, each grave shaft will be digitally photo graphed. Grave shafts will be excavated using a combination of hand- and mechanized- excavation methods. It is anticipated that grave shafts will be of sufficient depth to permit mechanized removal of the upper extent of the shaft fill. Once a sufficient amount of grave shaft fill has been removed, excavation will proceed by hand to determine the amount of shaft fill remaining over the coffin and/or remains human remains. Grave shafts containing more than 0.3 m (I ft) of soil over the coffin and/or remains will be subject to additional mechanical excavation to remove the excess shaft fill. In addition to mechanized removal of the grave shaft fill, a portion of the surrounding soil will be removed to permit safe entry into the excava tion area. The depth and extent of soil removal will be determined by the locations and depths of the grave shafts. The relative depth of all interments across the site will be determined from a fixed site da tum set along the site perimeter. The lower extent of all grave shafts will be hand excavated. Lower grave shaft fill material will be screened through ¼" hardware mesh and, as necessary, through ½" hardware mesh to ensure the recovery of any loose human remains or associated grave goods and coffin materials. All remains will be photo graphed as they are uncovered, drawn in plan, and recorded using standardized burial recordation forms. Remains and associated materials will be placed in appropriately sized containers and labeled with stand ard provenience data. All human remains, grave goods and associated materials will be analyzed in the field and recorded on standardized recordation forms. Artifact Processing and Analysis Analysis and documentation of coffin hardware and personal items such as buttons or jewelry that are recovered during the disinterment process will take place in the field. These items will be cleaned as nec essary, identified, photographed if warranted, and catalogued following laboratory processing guidelines and the curation standards established by the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT). Analyses will include the basic identification of artifact type, function, associations, and integrity of depositional context. Fol lowing cataloguing, the artifacts will be placed within the associated burial container. Artifact information will be computer-encoded and artifact inventory sheets generated for each interment.
R. CHRISTOPHER GOODWIN & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Addison Family Cemetery Proposed Work Plan RCG&A July 12, 2016 Page 9 Epperson, Terrence W. 1980 Addendum Report on the Archeological Reconnaissance of the Proposed Maryland Route 210/Interstate 95 Interchange, Prince George's County, Maryland. Report submitted to the Maryland State Highway Administration. Garrow, Patrick H. and Christopher T. Espenshade 1985 Archaeological Testing of the Addison Family Cemetery, Oxon Hill, Maryland. Prepared for JTL Developers, Inc., Alexandria, Virginia, by Garrow & Associates, Inc. Horsley, T.J. 2014
Addison Family Cemetery, Oxon Hill, Prince Georges County, Maryland: Report on Ge足 ophysical Surveys, October 30 - November 1, 2014. Report prepared for Andre Gingles, by Horsley Archaeological Prospection, LLC, Report No. HAP2014-27.
Markell, Ann B. 2004 Results of Remote Sensing, Mapping, and Delineation of Site 18PRl 76 (Addison Ceme足 tery), Prince George's County, Maryland. Letter Report prepared for the Peterson Com足 panies, L.C., Fairfax, Virginia, by R. Christopher Goodwin & Associates, Inc. The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) 20 IO Approved Historic Sites and Districts Plan for Prince George's County (HS 76A-004). Prince George's County Planning Department, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. 2005 Guidelines for Archeological Review (adopted May 12, 2005). Prince George's County Planning Board. McCarthy, John P. 2010 Oxon Hill Manor: the Archaeology and History of "A World They Made Together". Prepared for the Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. The Maryland Historical Trust Press. Crownsville, Maryland. Owsley, D.W. and R.L. Jantz 1989 A Systematic Approach to the Skeletal Biology of the Southern Plains, from Clovis to Comanchero: Archaeological Overview of the Southern Great Plains. Research Series 35. Arkansas Archaeological Survey. Fayetteville. Quantock, P.C. 2013 Ground-Penetrating Radar Survey of the Addison Cemetery, Fort Washington, MD. Re足 port prepared for Gingles, LLC, Calverton, Maryland. Shaffer, Gary D. and Elizabeth J. Cole 1994 Standards and Guidelines for Archeological Investigations in Maryland. Historical Trust Technical Report Number 2, Crownsville, Maryland.
R. CHRISTOPHER GOODWIN & ASSOCIATES, INC.