V1 N2 Summer 1973 An Outing on the 'Bailey Gatzert'

Page 1

16TH

VOL. 1

&

EXCHANGE STREET, ASTORIA, OREGON 97103

./:,

NO. 2

~

~

.

I ~ ...

I

J

-

AN OUTING ON THE BAILEY GATZERT IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME - CIRCA 1910

Early in the century, there wasn't a better way to spend a Summer Sunday than to go on a steamboat excursion to the Cascades. "The Grandest River Trip in America," it was called in the newspaper advertisements of the day, and indeed it was. The outings to this scenic and fast-water area of the Columbia were a "must" for visitors to the Northwest, and a special treat for Portlanders, to be enjoyed at least once a year with family or friends. Every Sunday morning during the summer, excursionists swarmed aboard big sternwheelers by the hundreds, each bustling to get the choicest seat from which to see the river, the passing scenery, and the other passengers. Children were everywhere. Women often preferred gossiping in the comfortable Ladies' Salon to sitting on deck, while some of the men spent a good deal of time at the bar. At midday, picnic baskets were opened by those who had brought them, and the dining room was crowded with those who had not. When the Cascades landing was reached in early afternoon, there was an opportunity to stretch ones legs

on the riverbank while marveling at the spectacular Columbia Gorge and the roaring Cascade rapids. After an hour or so, in answer to a blast on the boat's whistle, passengers returned on board for the trip back to Portland. Invariably, a photographer was present to snap a picture of the boat just as she was about to leave the landing. Among the many boats which made regular excursion trips to the Cascades, the Bailey Gatzert stands foremost. A spotless, elegant sternwheeler, her name was synonymous with speed, polish and flair. Her first years and her last were spent on Puget Sound, but to thousands she remains the symbol of steamboating on the Columbia River. There are a number of items in the Museum which relate to the Bailey Gatzert. Exhibited in the Ainsworth Room is a fine, 3/16" scale model of the Gatzert, part of the Ainsworth Collection of Rivercraft Models on loan from the U.S. National Bank. Also on display is the builder's half-hull model from which the lines of the 1907 hull were taken, given to the Museum last year by David C. Meyer, of Sherwood.


* t

*

*

QUARTERDECK REVIEW

The Bailey Gatzert at the river bank on a summer excursion day! To many it brings back memories of long ago when supplies and people moved into river valleys and coastal inlets primarily by ship or boat. It was a time within which came the era of fishing, sawmilling, road building, land clearing, and much activity on the water as well as great changes on it. Among them came the last days of sail and the end of the river queens. No one dreamed of the changes that would come to pass in the following forty years. It took quite a few of those years before an awakening nation realized that our heritage was not to be forgotten and something should be done to preserve it. In 1962, the Columbia River Maritime Museum emerged with that purpose. It was in a strategic and historical location in the Northwest. It was dedicated to preserve and relate the story of the Great River and our nautical past. This heritage is what made our country strong. Within ten years we had acquired nautical artifacts to a point where storage and exhibit space became an acute problem. A new and more efficient facility was imperative. The decision was made to build.

SPECIAL VISITOR

In April the USS Barbey (DE 1088) visited the Columbia River for the first time, stopping through the day and overnight at Astoria. The new, 438-foot escort vessel is named for the late Vice Admiral Daniel E. Barbey, USN, a native of Portland, who won fame during World War II for his outstanding leadership in the development of amphibious operations. Heading the official welcoming group was Admiral Barbey's nephew, Graham J. Barbey, a founding member of the Museum and an active supporter. Before preceeding upriver, many of the Barbey's 244 officers and enlisted men, including the commanding officer, Commander Theodore Shultz, took advantage of our standing offer of free admission for visiting Naval and Coast Guard units. While at the Museum, Cdr. Shultz presented a medallion commemorating the 1972 commissioning of his ship.

Our capital fund drive for the goal of $680,000 earnestly got under way last year. The drive committees are engaged in a concerted effort to reach that goal. We hope all members and friends will join in our effort to raise contributions for the new building. There are many ways in which one can give and become a part of this important Northwest educational museum. Cash and non-cash gifts may be made with favorable tax advantages. Those wishing memorial opportunities will find many, from sections of the building, special exhibitor display walls, or furnishings . Appropriate plaques will acknowledge these gifts. Join us aboard the Bailey Gatzert for our summer run to success! Rolf Klep, Director

*

* Every Wednesday morning at ten o'clock, the Wednesday Work Party gets underway at the Museum. This institution, whose principal figures are Herb Howell, Fred Cordiner, and Lloyd Halsan, has become invaluable to the Museum's operation. Among other things, the Work Party does a good deal of the exhibit installation, cleaning and preparation of large artifacts, carpentry, painting, and most of the upkeep chores required by a heavily used building. No job, it seems, is beyond the skills of this stalwart crew.

* When we had to move the 15-ton, 40-foot Somali rudder without heavy equipment, we called Herb; it got moved. Fred's old leather satchel has a tool for every job, and he uses all of them like an artist. Lloyd is an accomplished woodworker and a master with a paintbrush. There is always something to be done around the Museum and Lightship. If you have special skills or interests nautical, and time on your hands, contact Rolf Klep or Michael Naab at the Museum. Herb and Fred and Lloyd can use your help.


RELICS FROM THE GALENA

FERRY MODEL JOINS EXHIBITS

What with the hundreds of shipwrecks and strandings that have occurred in and around the mouth of the Columbia River, it is not surprising that many a coastal resident is the proud owner of some relic or souvenir retrieved from a vessel which ended her days nearby. One such individual is Charles Stoner of Youngs River, who has an interesting assortment of gear removed from the British four-masted barque Galena, stranded on Clatsop Beach on November 13th, 1906. A few years ago Mr. Stoner donated some items from his collection to the Museum. He apparently felt good about it, because he returned recently with another armload of plunder.

Any highway engineer will tell you that a bridge is superior to a ferry. Bridges allow faster crossings, they require less attention, and they provide a smoother traffic flow. In short, they are eminently more suited to modern travel in nearly every instance. Those of us who, in the face of such flawless logic, persist in preferring a ferry ride to a blurred dash across a bridge can especially appreciate the Museum's newest model. It is a 30-inch replica of the Tourist No. 3, for many years "queen of the fleet" of ferries which operated between Astoria and the North Shore of the Columbia.

The Galena grounded while maneuvering to pick up a pilot off the mouth of the Columbia. She got too far inshore, and was carried onto the beach by the heavy surf, some seven miles from where the Peter Iredale had stranded only 18 days before. Attempts were made to refloat the relatively undamaged vessel, but she was held fast by the sands. In the summer of 1907, Henry Harrison and E. B. Stoner (father of Charles) were hired to dismantle the Galena where she lay. What remained of her after the scrappers had done their work was soon swallowed up by the sand. Among the Galena items salvaged by Stoner and given to the Museum earlier are her watch bell, binnacle lamp, and a pair of wrist shackles. The new additions include a small revolver which belonged to the Galena's captain, and a massive iron and brass padlock which once secured the lazarette.

The original Tourist No. 3 was designed by Joseph M. Dyer in 1931 for Capt. Fritz Elfving, pioneer in Lower Columbia ferry service. Built by Dyer's Astoria Marine Construction Company, the handsome, 120-foot wooden vessel could carry 35 cars and 200 passengers. Her 475 HP engine and three decks made her by far the fastest and most comfortable of the Astoria-North Beach fleet. Tourist No. 3 was the third ferry built for Capt. Elfving, and she remained his favorite even after he sold the line to the Oregon Highway Department in 1948. Other ferries were added to the run, and the first Tourist was laid up, but Tourist No. 3 continued in the service for which she was built until completion of the trans-Columbia bridge put the ferries out of business in 1966. Finally sold to Seattle cannery interests for use as a floating crab processing plant, she was towed to Alaska to begin a new career. Finely detailed, complete and accurate in scale even to curtains at the windows and stools around the snack bar counter, the model was built by Lloyd McCaffery a professional builder in Oregon City. The work was commissioned by the Museum on behalf of Mrs. Karen Wickstrand, Seattle, and Mr. Charles E. Warren, Eugene, grandchildren of Capt. Elfving. The Tourist No. 3 model is included in a new Trans-Columbia Ferry exhibit in the Southeast room on the first floor of the Museum. Don't miss it. If, like the highway engineer, you do not prefer a ferry to a bridge, this exhibit will help you remember when you did. ·

*

We were pleased to learn recently that the Columbia River Maritime Museum will be featured in a new Reader's Digest publication, Treasures of America. Scheduled for release in 1974, the book will describe and illustrate some of the country's outstanding historic attractions. This kind of recognition is extremely gratifying. It is a salute to the hard work and dedication of volunteers, contributors, supporters, and Museum staff.


COME ABOARD 1

-

JOIN THE

COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO BECOME MEMBERS

□ □ □ □

Benefactor Patron Life Sustaining

D Supporting $100 per year D Contributing $50 per year

$ 10,000 or more $2,000 or more

□ Annual □ Student

$1,000 or more .$ 500 per year

$10 per year $2. 50 per year

My Check □

Money Order □ for $......... ...... is enclosed Memberships Start from Month of Receipt

NAME ADDRESS ....... ....... ................... ............. ...... CITY ........................................ ZIP ........ .

DIRECTOR KLEP AND CDR R. A. JOHNSON BID GOODBY TO ADMIRAL McCLELLAND

Rear Admiral J. J. McClelland, commander of the 13th Coast Guard District and a member of the Advisory Board of the Museum, was the guest of honor at a buffet luncheon held recently on board Lightship No. 88 Columbia. The Astoria Coast Guard Officers Association sponsored the event. Admiral McClelland was in the area on his final inspection tour of District installations before being transferred to New London, Connecticut, where he will become superintendent of the Coast Guard Academy. Nearly thirty officers, joined by Director Klep and Curator Naab, attended the farewell luncheon, wishing the admiral well on his next assignment. After a delicious repast prepared by Coast Guard Cutter Y ocona personnel, McClelland spoke briefly on the unique challenges presented to the Coast Guard by Northwest waters and weather. He predicted a bright future and expanding horizons for the Nation's oldest sea-going service, and for the Columbia River Maritime Museum.

QUARTERDECK REVIEW OF THE

COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM ASTORIA, OREGON 97103

STATE

In the last issue of the Quarterdeck Review, we included notices to the effect that subsequent issues would be sent only to Museum members and other institutions. As this issue was being prepared, however, we were overcome by the spirit of summertime, and decided to once again send Quarterdeck Review to everyone we know. If you have been inspired by this issue and you wish to receive future copies, be sure to clip the coupon above and send it in with your dues. You won't regret it.

*

*

*

More than 300 guests were on hand to en joy refreshments and pleasant company at the Annual Commemorative Tea, held at the Museum on May sixth. It was an outstanding success. As usual, the ladies of the Auxiliary outdid themselves in preparing for the event. The table decoration, floral arrangements, and special exhibits set up for the occasion won high praise from all. One traveler from California was surprised -and delighted- to find himself in the midst of the festivities. "This," he beamed, "is my kind of museum!"

Non-Profit Organization U.S. POSTAGE

PA ID Astoria, Oregon Permit No. 209


Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.