V11 N3 Summer 1984 The Lightship 'Columbia' at the Portland Maritime Festival

Page 1

~~R MA.]?lr,

~

~

~

~'v;'

~

i

REVIEW

QUARTERDECK '1sf;:J;~~'.7J~~ VOL. 11

SUMMER 1984

1792 MARINE DRIVE, ASTORIA, OREGON 97103

NO. 3

THE LIGHTSHIP COLUMBIA AT THE PORTLAND MARITIME FESTIVAL Destined to be the principal attraction at the 1984 Portland Maritime Festival, the old lightship Columbia (WLV-604) cast off from her pier, next to the Museum, at 10:00 a.m . on June 28th and got under way-under her own power for the first time since the Coast Guard decommissioned her in December 1979. She operated smoothly and nearly equalled her trials speed of 34 years ago, though she can hardly be called a fast ship. After tying up overnight in Rainier, Oregon, the Columbia reached Portland's Tom McCall Waterfront Park, just upstream of the Burnside Bridge, about 11:00 the next day. Our staff envisioned such cruises, taking the Museum out to other communities, so to speak, from the time we acquired the ship in 1980. But realization of this goal would have been impossible without the help of many volunteers. Last winter, Jim Stover's class of 13 diesel maintenance students from

Clatsop Community College took on the Columbia as a class project and began to bring her machinery back to life. Some, including June McClure, a grandmother who is beginning a new career as a marine engineer, stayed on, donating many hours of work after the class ended. Other volunteers served in the ship's hard-working crew of 16 for the passages to Portland and back, contributing essential expertise as pilots, electricians, and engineers. Captain Donald E. Hughes, a professional river pilot and a trustee of the Museum, volunteered to command the ship. He was assisted by another professional pilot, Captain Chuck Patching. Dale Perkins was the Chief Engineer. The 1984 Portland Maritime Festival was the third such annual event in the city. It ran from the evening of June 29th (continued on page 4}


INTERN TO ASSIST EDUCATION PROGRAM

* *

*

FROM THE QUARTERDECK Reflecting on the success of the Lightship's recent trip to Portland to participate in the 1984 Maritime Festival, I am struck by the thought that only a few generations ago such a plan to "take the Museum out on the road," as it were, would probably not have been considered, much less undertaken. Today, outreach programs are not at all unusual; in fact, they are almost a necessity. At this Museum, as at others, a considerable portion of the staff's time and energy is devoted to programs that are directed beyond the walls of the Museum itself. Education is an obvious example. Last year more than 10,000 elementary and high school students benefited from in-classroom presentations and related, Museum-sponsored activities in maritime history. (This figure does not include the thousands of students from throughout the Northwest who visited the Museum in organized school tours.) Workshops, such as the oar-making workshop mentioned elsewhere in this issue, serve to preserve traditional maritime skills. Temporary, satellite Museum exhibits, such as those mounted on board the Lightship and on shore at the Portland Maritime Festival, introduce our maritime heritage to a large number of people who might not otherwise be reached. These and other outreach activities would have been rare in a museum fifty years ago, yet they represent extensions of, rather than changes in, the basic functions of a museum, which are to collect, preserve, and interpret. If there is a change, it is in what our society expects of its museums. Institutions like ours exist to serve the public. Not just those individuals who pay an admission fee to visit the Museum, or those who support it with membership dues and other contributions, but all of society. Obviously, there are practical · limitations involved, but it is our goal to reach as many people -effectively-as our resources will allow, while at the same time maintaining the high standards we have set for our collections and exhibits. The Trustees and staff of this Museum are firmly committed to its dual role of preserving and relating the maritime heritage of the Columbia Basin and the Northwest Coast. Outreach programs provide an effective way of benefiting a wider audience, while at the same time broadening the Museum's base of support and involvement. Michael Naab, Director

Aleta Zak began a five-week internship in the Museum's Education Department during the last week of June. Her principal tasks will be to revise the Museum's packet of educational material for grade school students and to co-operate with Clatsop Community College in planning a series of workshops on small craft design and construction. She will also write and edit a newsletter for the Museum's volunteers and generally assist Education Co-ordinator Richard Fencsak. Ms. Zak's internship is a required part of her master's program in museum research/management and historical editing at Duquesne University in Pennsylvania. The 25-year-old Oregon resident holds a B.A. in journalism and history from the University of Oregon and has professional experience in newspaper work.

OAR-MAKING WORKSHOP Albert Smith will teach you to make your own oars in a workshop jointly sponsored by the Museum and Clatsop Community College. It will take place at the Astoria Yacht Club on Saturday and Sunday, August 18-19. Necessary materials will be provided and participants will keep the oars they produce, but a fee will be charged. Call the evening school at Clatsop Community College (503-325-0910) lo regislet.

THE BLAZER Many words and expressions now in common use have a nautical origin that is not realized by most people. One of the more improbable of such cases is the word "blazer," as applied to a type of sports jacket. The name has nothing to do, as one might think, with the garment's bright colors. Instead, it comes from the name of a warship. Before the British Royal Navy first adopted regulation uniforms for enlisted men in 1857, its seamen were permitted to wear almost any decent clothing. Despite the prevalence of certain traditional nautical styles, crews presented a pretty motley appearance. However, for the sake of looking smart, many a naval captain purchased, at his own expense, standardized outfits (of his own design) for the oarsmen of his gig. There was a spirit of rivalry among the wealthier, aristocratic captains to have the most smartly dressed gig crew. About 1845, the captain of H .M.S. Blazer dressed his crew in blue and white striped jackets. Subsequently, when similar garments saw civilian use, they continued to be referred to as "blazers." It is worth noting that this custom resulted in some strange aberrations in costume. The Caledonia's boat crew sported Scots bonnets, since their ship bore the Latin name for Scotland. One captain, who had served in the Greek War of Independence, outfitted his oarsmen in traditional Greek-style petticoat trousers. The commander of H.M.S. Harlequin during the 1820' s went so far as to dress his gig crew in the fantastic garb of the comic pantomime character for which his ship was named!


MARITIME WEEK AT THE MUSEUM A very busy schedule of special activities was carried out by the Museum for Astoria's 1984 Maritime Week, May 20-26. This annual community affair incorporates National Maritime Day (May 22) . Events put on by or hosted at the Museum included two evening lectures, three motion pictures, the annual Salmon Run, a half-day seminar on international trade, the Auxiliary's fund-raising luncheon, a student art contest, our annual ship model competition, a live music program of songs of the sea, and demonstrations of traditional boatbuilding in wood and the old Coast Guard breeches buoy drill. Hundreds of local people attended these events, in addition to visiting tourists. The most dramatic activity was the daily demonstration of the breeches buoy drill, including firing a blank charge from a Lyle gun. This was a method (now made obsolete by rescue helicopters) of getting survivors off a vessel stranded near shore. Rescue personnel hurried to the scene with a special beach cart bearing lines and equipment. A light line attached to a special projectile was fired to the stranded ship from a Lyle gun, a small brass howitzer. Then a stout rope was hauled out to the vessel and made fast at each end, with the breeches buoy attached. The latter was a strong pair of canvas shorts attached to a life ring. It was hauled back and forth with block and tackle by the lifesaving crew to bring survivors to shore one by one . Museum staff members were assisted in the demonstration by a crew of young volunteers from the Tongue Point Job Corps Center's seamanship program. The breeches buoy gear was rigged between the flag mast on our plaza and the lightship Columbia. Visitors were amused by the bearded "damsel in distress' ' played by Education Co-ordinator Rich Fencsak .

Albert Smith shaping oar for skiff in background

Discovery Day Student Art Contest

Hampton Scudder firing the Lyle gun


PORTLAND MARITIME FESTIVAL, CONTINUED

Visitors stream aboard the Columbia

through July 4th and was organized by Sailing Ships Pacific, with sponsorship by several commercial organizations. Blessed with superb weather, the Festival was attended by many thousands of visitors. It featured several visiting vessels, shore displays, food concessions and other vendors, demonstrations, musical entertainment, and fireworks. Other vessels present included an 83-foot schooner, the Norden, built in 1929, two modern 41-foot racing sloops, and two Sea Explorer boats. The 128-foot Columbia was much the largest vessel attending. Below decks she had a new exhibit, created for the occasion, consisting of photographs taken while the ship was still in commission and depicting life aboard for the Coast Guardsmen assigned to her. Open without charge, the Columbia was toured by an estimated 12,000 persons. Among them were Governor Vic Atiyeh and Miss Oregon, Deborah Epperson, who visited following a ceremony honoring Oregon pioneers who arrived by sea. Many more people viewed our special exhibit on shore, "Reef, Hand & Steer: Life at Sea Under Sail," consisting both of nautical artifacts and spectacular photographs. The Columbia further enlivened the Festival by daily sounding her signal horn and firing a roaring salute from a Lyle gun. Each evening her rotating main beacon was turned on, dramatically sweeping the Portland waterfront with its beam of light. The Columbia returned to Astoria on July 5th, making the passage without pause in less than nme hours.

) Photo exhibit of lightship life

Shore exhibit "Reef, Hand & Steer"

Volunteer Pat Jensen at Columbia's helm


AUXILIARY ACTION

VOLUNTEER!

The Columbia River Maritime Museum Auxiliary elected new officers at their May meeting: Mary Stickney, President; Ebba Brown, Vice President; Nancy Newenhof, Secretary; Ottie Dreeszen, Treasurer; and Helen Ryan, Historian. Installation will take place at the September meeting. The Auxiliary's annual fund-raising luncheon was held at the Museum during Maritime Week, as usual, and was quite successful. Some 200 people were served and the effort realized $600, which will be used to purchase additional folding tables for the Museum.

Dedicated volunteers logged an impressive total of more than 750 hours of contributed time during the second quarter of this year. We are most grateful for this generous help, as the Museum could not carry out many of its programs without it. But the Museum always needs more new volunteers. Activities in which volunteers can play a significant part include staffing our gift shop, serving as tour guides, giving technical demonstrations, helping with Museum social events, and maintenance of the lightship Columbia. If you would like to become involved in this volunteer work, please contact us (tel. 503-325-2323).

JOSEPH KELLOGG Pioneer Northwest steamboating entrepreneur Joseph Kellogg was born into a Vermont family in 1812, but grew up in New York and Ohio, where he learned the millwright's trade and married. In 1848 Kellogg's whole family arrived in Oregon by wagon train. Joseph Kellogg took up a donation land grant and soon went into partnership with Lot Whitcomb and William Torrence to develop the town of Milwaukie. Kellogg built a sawmill for the firm and also a schooner, which was sent to California laden with farm produce and sold. The proceeds went to purchase the brig Forrest, which was used to carry their lumber to California. A few voyages netted enough profit to buy the barque Lausanne, which already had a set of steamboat propulsion machinery in her hold. The machinery was used in the sidewheeler Lot Whitcomb, launched at Milwaukie on December 25, 1850. She was the second steamboat built in Oregon, but the first large one. Kellogg became one of the first river pilots on the lower Willamette. Meanwhile, business prospered and his firm kept two brigs busy in the California lumber trade . Ultimately, Kellogg withdrew from this business to become a partner with Bradberry and Eddy in building the Standard Flour Mills, long the largest mill in Oregon. He also participated in construction of Oregon's first macadamized road and the first telegraph line to California. The sternwheeler Senator was built for Kellogg in 1863, but he soon sold her to the People's Transportation Company and himself joined that firm to superintend construction of its steamer basin at Oregon City, just above Willamette Falls. He also started steamboat service on the Tualatin with the little sternwheeler Onward, launched in 1867, and organized the Tualitin [sic] River Navigation and Transportation Company. A canal was built to join the river with Sucker (now Oswego) Lake, thereby permitting traffic via Oswego to the Willamette below the falls. After Ben Holladay bought out the People's Transportation Company in 1871, Kellogg helped establish the Willamette Transportation Company. He served both as its vice president and as a director. Construction of the new company's steamers Beaver and Governor Grover was supervised by Kellogg. Joseph Kellogg sold out his holdings in Oregon by 1878 in order to set up the Joseph Kellogg Transportation Company in partnership with his two sons, Orrin and Charles, and his

brother, Jason. The shallow-draft sternwheelers Toledo and Joseph Kellogg, commanded by Joseph's sons, were put in service on Washington's Cowlitz River. They ran as far as Toledo (then little more than a pasture), some forty miles above the Columbia. The family continued to operate steamers on this route until World War I. Joseph Kellogg lived well into his eighties and was, by then, the earliest surviving pilot of the Columbia River system.

Joseph Kellogg


SPECIAL GIFTS, APRIL 1 - JUNE 30, 1984 GENERAL FUND The Autzen Foundation

50TH ANNIVERSARY - ARTHUR & SIGNE FARR Neuberger & Berman, Mr. Fred Stein

MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTIONS, APRIL 1 - JUNE 30, 1984 ERO ASULA Mr. & Mrs. James O'Bryan DR. T. REX BALDWIN Mr. & Mrs. Graham Barbey & Family Mrs . Edith Henningsgaard Capt. & Mrs. Kenneth McAlpin Mr. & Mrs. F.E . Ross Mr. & Mrs . Arthur Smith Mrs. Edward Thompson FRED BOWERS, SR. Mr. & Mrs . Marvin Belcher Mrs. Alice Ranta Mr. & Mrs. Charles B. Stoner MARY ELIZABETH BOYLE Mr. Roy E. Boyle FLORENCE BRAMWELL Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Morrow

ADOLPH HELMERSON Mr. & Mrs. Trygve Duoos Mr. & Mrs. Dan Thiel SHIRLEY HOFFMAN Mr. Buddy Hoell Mr. & Mrs. Larry Telen CARL HOLDIMAN Mr. & Mrs. Graham Barbey & Family ELFORD L. HOUSEMAN Mr. & Mrs. Trygve Duoos Ms. Hannah Seeborg EDITH I. JOHNSON Ms. Helen S. Fowler Mr. & Mrs. Charles B. Stoner FERN LEE JOHNSON Mr. & Mrs. R.A. Mund Dr. & Mrs. Robert Neikes

EBEN CARRUTHERS B.P.O.E. #180 Mr. & Mrs. Edward A. Beard Mr. Ottar M. Dahl Mrs. Alice Eccles Mr. & Mrs. Norman Souju Mr. & Mrs. L.F. Van Dusen

GRACE BERBER KERN The Autzen Family Mr. Walter Gadsby, Jr. Ms. Frieda Jacobson Mrs. Lyle B. Kingery Mrs. Herbert Malarkey

WESLEY ALLEN COOK Mr. & Mrs. Robert G. Hemphill

EMIL H . KIRSCH Mr. & Mrs. Howard Anderson

NATALIE CORLUND Mr. & Mrs. Ruben A. Mund

URHO KORHONEN Ms. Linda Niemelin

LESTER CROHN Mr. & Mrs. A.J. L' Amie Mr. Edwin Parker Dr. Harvey Rones

ANNA LAMBERT Mr. & Mrs. Don Brunner Mr. & Mrs. Trygve Duoos

GLENN DAUGHERTY Mr. & Mrs. George Fulton RALPH GEORGE ELLIOTT Mr. & Mrs. Bill Heiner OTTO V. FISCOLA Ms. Kay Baker Mr. & Mrs. Herb Hansen Mr. & Mrs. James Pilgreen RONALD GILLINGHAM Crown Zellerbach Sales & Purchasing ANNE GJOVIK Mrs. Jordis Tetli ROY HAGLUND Mr. & Mrs. Trygve Duoos Mr. & Mrs. A.J. L' Amie Mr. Walter Lofgren

WALTER LEMPEA Ms. Lou Ann Aldrich Mr. Larry J . Anderson Ms. Sharon Baugh Mr. & Mrs. Wallace Carlson Ms. Lillian Christie Mr. & Mrs. Trygve Duoos Mr. & Mrs. Milton Herold ILWU Local #50 Building Association Ms. Milga Johnson Ms . Nannie Koski Mrs. Vernon A. Larson Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Lawrence Mr. Marion Luce Mr. & Mrs. Claude McCully Mr. & Mrs. Ron McCully Ms. Kathy Neeley Mr. George W. Owens Ms. Wilma C. Opdahl Mr. & Mrs. William Perkins, Sr. Mr. & Mrs. Robert J. Siljeg

NELLIE LUTHE Mr. & Mrs. A.B. Curtis Mr. & Mrs . Ralph Morrow Mr. & Mrs. Vincent M . Zankich ROSE MAKI Mr. & Mrs. F.M. Ginn ANTHA MANELLA Mr. & Mrs. Charles Gustafson The Hugh Seppa Family MARY MARQUART Mr. & Mrs. George Fulton Capt. & Mrs. A.P. Hammon Dr. & Mrs. Robert N eikes Miss Adaline Svenson Miss Leila Svenson CHARLES L. MARSH Mr. & Mrs. Ronald Marsh MIRIAM MARVIN Mr. & Mrs. A.W. Ostrom JOAN M . McCLEAN Mr. & Mrs. Robert Arenz Mr. Ralph Bjorklund Ms. Frances W. Brown Mr. Harrison Greenough Mr. & Mrs. Jean Hallaux Mr. & Mrs. Carl Hertig Mr. & Mrs. C.M . Hogan Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Knutsen Mr. & Mrs. Robert C. Macdonald Ms . Dorothy D. McGregor Dr. & Mrs. Robert Neikes Mr. & Mrs. E.L. Pezoldt Mrs. Shirley Sopko Ms. Dorothy A. Tienson Mr. & Mrs. Bill Van Dusen Mr. & Mrs. Willis Van Dusen Mr. & Mrs. Sion Wentworth EMIL NELSON Mr. & Mrs. Peter Strandberg EVA MARIE NELSON Mr. Lloyd Arena Ms. Grace Eliassen Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Morrow Mr. & M rs. Lawrence Nielsen Ms. Dorothy Spiker Mr. & Mrs. Dan Thiel Mr. & Mrs. Carvel Tinner GEORGE NIEMI Mr. & Mrs. T.E. Koski


MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTIONS, CONTINUED ALAN NILSSON Ms. Vivian Berney Mrs. Joseph Bianchini Mr. & Mrs. Albert W. Larson Mr. & Mrs. Duffy Morgan Mrs. G.A. Niemi JOHAN NYBERG Mr. & Mrs. Peter Strandberg HELEN OBERG Ms. Myrtle Iverson DR. WAYNE PARPALA Mr. & Mrs. F.E. Ross Mr. & Mrs. A.C. Swanson FRIEDA PESCHL Mr. & Mrs. Cecil Moberg Ms. Barbara Tenny CLARENCE A. PETERSON Ms. Marjorie Arnold Mr. & Mrs. A.J. L' Amie KELLY PETERSON Mr. & Mrs. Peter Strandberg

MRS. ELMORE PHILPOTT Capt. & Mrs. Kenneth McAlpin MARY RAITANEN Mr. & Mrs. A. W. Ostrom EARL SANDNESS Mrs. Anir Kary Mr. & Mrs. Ferris Saunders Mr. & Mrs. Paul Stangeland

JOHN TARABOCHIA Mr. & Mrs. A.J. L'Amie Dr. & Mrs. John Parpala Mr. & Mrs. Peter Strandberg Mr. & Mrs. Arnold Swanson Mr. & Mrs. Alan Takalo Mr. & Mrs. Carl Tolonen VIRGINIA THOMPSON Mr. & Mrs. F.E. Ross

HENRY SARPOLA Mr. & Mrs. Eliott Becken Mr. & Mrs. Robert Haskins

ESTHER ULLFERS Ms. Margaret Bowerman Mr. & Mrs. Carl Tolonen

ELIZABETH STEAD Ms. Nell Berg

KATHERINE PREST WADE Mr. P.L. Nock

GEORGE E. STEVENS Portland Steamship Operators Association

CHONG PING WONG Mr. & Mrs. A.J. L'Amie Mr. & Mrs. Armas Niskanen Mr. & Mrs. S.T. Tsu

MEDORA SVENSON Miss Solveig Pedersen PETER TADEI Mr. & Mrs. T.E. Koski

STELLA YANCEY Mr. & Mrs. Charles Gustafson The Hugh Seppa Family

• NEW MEMBERS, INCREASED SUPPORT(*), APRIL 1 - JUNE 30, 1984 LIFE Mr. Robert G. Hemphill, Cannon Beach* PILOT Mrs. Dorothea Handran Mr. & Mrs. W. Louis Larson* Mrs. George K. Voss* SUSTAINING Mr. & Mrs. Peter Anderson, Seaside* Dr. & Mrs. Robert S. Norgren, Beaverton* Capt. Rex Pollitt, Milwaukie Mr. Ralph E. Williams, Portland* SUPPORTING Claus' German Motors* Mr. James H. Brown, Hillsboro* Mr. Herb L. Hansen* Heritage, USS Gambier Bay, Minneapolis Kerr Steamship Company, Inc., Portland Dr. & Mrs. R.P. Moore* Pacific Rim Pizza The Ship Inn* CONTRIBUTING Miss Frances G. Barbey, Portland* BUTCH'S for Sir* Mr. & Mrs. Bob Canessa * Mrs. Catherine Honeyman Engmark, Los Altos, CA* Mr. & Mrs. Joel Haggard, Seattle, WA* Mr. & Mrs. Blair Henningsgaard * Mr. James Porter Holtz, Portland

Mr. & Mrs. Neil A. Jaeger, Portland* Mr. & Mrs. Lou Kennedy, Portland* Mr. & Mrs. Ronald Marsh, Hammond* Mrs. George A. Niemi Mr. John Niemi, Jr., San Francisco, CA* Mr. & Mrs. Erling Orwick* Mrs. Laurel Piippo, Richland, WA Mr. Toivo W. Piippo, Richland, WA Dr. Stephen L. Recken * Mr. & Mrs. Norman Ritter, Warrenton* Mr. James Sayce/Ms. Noelle Congdon, Ocean Park, WA* Mr. & Mrs. Jerry W. Schell* Mr. & Mrs. Mayer D. Schwartz, Beaverton* U.F.C.W. Local 143A, Portland Ackroyd Photography, Inc . Portland* ANNUAL Mr. Larry J. Anderson, Eugene Mr. & Mrs. Leland Ashworth, Portland Mr. & Mrs. Robert D. Benton Ms. Barbara J. Bowers Ms. Virginia C. Bynum Mr. & Mrs. Edward Campbell Mr. Charles Canizio Mrs. Nancy Canizio Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Donald Cassady, Vancouver, WA Mr. Howard R. Cheney Mr. & Mrs. Travis Coley, Hammond Mr. & Mrs. Darrell L. Crawford, Cornelius

Mr. & Mrs. James Crowley, Portland Mr. D.K. Engen, Salem Mr. Harold M. Fisher, Boring Mr. Harry R. Floyd, Shelton, WA Mrs. Richard A. Fuhrmann Mr. Randall G. Greeninger Mr. Mark H. Hendricks, Portland Mr. & Mrs. Jason A. Hervin, Portland Mr. & Mrs. James J. Jarvis, Lake Oswego Mr. & Mrs. William Kitchin, Portland Mr. & Mrs. Robert James Lennon, Jr. Rev. & Mrs. John Mann, Seaview, WA Mr. & Mrs. Richard Megathan Michael's Bike Shop, Cannon Beach Mr. Christopher Pardee Mr. & Mrs. Jack L. Pasco Mr. & Mrs. James S. Peck, Portland Mr. & Mrs. William Perkins, Jr., St. Helens Mr. C.E. Pritchard, Montesano, WA Progressive Services, Olympia, WA Mr. & Mrs. James C. Putman Mr. Ross Reed, Pasadena, CA Mr. & Mrs. Bob Simonsen, Beaverton Capt. C.S. Wetherell, Vancouver, WA Mr. & Mrs. Steven W. Wood

*

*

*


Sign On! AS A MEMBER OF THE

COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM □

Life

$1,000singlepayment

Supporting

$50 per year

Sponsor

$500 per year

Contributing

$25 per year

PILOT

$250 per year

Annual

$15 per year

D Sustaining

$100 per year

Student

$7.50 per year

NAME _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ ADDRESS._ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ CITY _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _

STATE _ _ _ _ _ _ ZIP _ _ _ __

Model of U.S.S. Icefish

SUBMARINE MODEL DONATED TO MUSEUM A superbly detailed model of the U.S.S. Icefish (SS 367), built from scratch by Dr. Robert S. Norgren, a Beaverton, Oregon dentist , has been presented to the Museum by its maker. The model is on a scale of 1/8 inch = 1 foot . It prevfously bested 26 other entries from throughout the Northwest to take the grand prize at our Eleventh Annual Ship Model Competition, during Maritime Week in May. The subject was an American Balao-class fleet submarine, launched at the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin on February 20, 1944. Assigned to the Pacific Fleet later that year, she made five war patrols, sinking three Japanese merchant vessels and rescuing six U.S. Army aviators. The Icefish was decommissioned after World War II, but was modernized in 1953 and transferred to the Royal Netherlands Navy. Renamed Walrus by the Dutch, she served until 1971 and was then decommissioned, returned to the U.S. Government, and sold. She was scrapped in the Netherlands in 1972.

Fantastic detail of model's bow torpedo tubes

LARRY GILMORE, EDITOR

COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM 1792 MARINE DRIVE ASTORIA, OREGON 97103

ADDRESS CORRECTION REQUESTED

Non-Profit Organization U.S. POSTAGE

PA ID Astoria, Oregon Permit No. 209


Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.