Raw Bowl Ingredients: • Salmon • Blue Fin • Ahi • Pineapple • Wasabi • Mango • Seaweed Salad • Fried Onion • Garlic • Cucumber • White Rice • Jalapeño
W R AW B O W L
• It all starts with quality fish, and they always have a local catch available. Quality-focused, Jachura and his partners have been able to include ingredients, cooking techniques and products within his restaurant that go above and beyond what is expected. “We will not buy one grade cheaper fish, just to make three more cents on a poke bowl,” he says.
F R E S H STA RT
• The fried onion and garlic add an amazing texture to the raw bowl that’s not to be missed. Jachura explains that when it comes to poke, “a lot of people are stamping them out now, and they’re not really focused on quality.”
With the recent rise of poke restaurants, one has to ask: what sets Grubby’s apart from the rest? I discovered that the difference is all in the details. Set in The Shoppes at Carlsbad, Grubby’s is a modern space, offering a variety of unique options. With a history of pushing for higher-quality ingredients, owner Justin Jachura and his best-friend-since-sixth-grade, Nhan Lam, have been making a name for themselves by going the extra mile, instead of settling for what everyone else is doing.
ECO-(FIN)LY • Sustainability and supporting local fishermen are important to Jachura and Lam, and it shows in multiple ways, beyond the food. Their serving utensils and bowls are all biodegradable, and they even have alkaline water on tap!
VS. O C TO LOV E
The cooked bowl is made with high-grade octopus, which is soaked in eel sauce for an extra boost of flavor and then torched once it goes in the bowl, along with smoked shrimp, buttery salmon, furikake seasoning and even an optional tea egg to top off your creation.
CO O K E D BOWL
• The cooked bowl is for those that want to enter the world of poke slowly. Jachura likes to joke that it’s like the “gateway drug” to poke; you start there and move onto the raw goodness. One can create a very traditional Hawaiianstyle bowl or go completely opposite with the new style topped with all the delectable fixings.
• Being the cofounders of Señor Grubby’s in Carlsbad Village, they created a restaurant that they’d want to hang out in themselves. They still smoke all their fish at that location.
Stay Poke IT’S A BATTLE OF THE BOWLS AT THE NEW GRUBBY’S POKE & FISH MARKET IN CARLSBAD WRITTEN BY: NADYA MIGALKO PHOTOGRAPHED BY: ANGELA GARZON
Cooked Bowl Ingredients: • Shrimp • Salmon • Octopus • Egg • Brown Rice • Seaweed Salad • Cucumber • Furikake • Spicy Drizzle
• At the in-house fish market, they’ll soon offer create-your-own sushi roll and poke kits, so you can recreate your favorite Grubby’s poke bowl or sushi roll at home!
GRUBBY’S POKE & FISH MARKET 2525 El Camino Real, Ste 218 Carlsbad, CA 92008 760.828.9074 www.grubbyspoke.com