WELCOME TO SHARK NATION
WELCOME TO LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY
your journey starts here Student Name:
Created By: Your Personalized First Semester Schedule
Questions about your schedule? Contact your Success Coach! (see back page for contact information)
Get Ready for Your First Semester Become Familiar with your MyLIU Account
Go to https://my.liu.edu and explore the different apps available to you. Be sure to review the Tasks tile for important updates.
Install your MyLIU Email on your Phone
Make sure that you are consistently checking your MyLIU email for updates and important information. • For Apple devices, go to https://it.liu.edu/ tutorials/myliu/myliu-email-on-ios/ • For Android devices, go to https://it.liu. edu/tutorials/myliu/myliu-email-onandroid/
Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Go to https://studentaid.gov and use LIU School Code 002751
If you are a New York resident, you may be eligible for grant money through the NY Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Go to https://hesc. ny.gov and use LIU School Code 0403 for undergraduates and 5403 for graduates.
Accept Your Financial Aid Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the Financial Aid tile 2. Select the upcoming aid year 3. Select “Accept/Decline”
Submit a Housing Application on your MyLIU Account Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the University Housing tile 2. Select “Apply for Housing” 3. Follow the steps to complete your housing application 4. Contact LIU Promise with any questions **Be sure to save a copy of your Housing Agreement for your records. Note that a new housing application is required every year.
Submit a $300 Housing Deposit on your MyLIU Account Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the Make an E-Payment tile and login using your MyLIU credentials 2. Select “Deposits” from the top menu and choose the correct term 3. Select “Housing E-Deposit” from the next dropdown menu and follow the steps to submit your deposit 4. Contact LIU Promise with any questions **Note that a new housing deposit is required every year.
Complete the Housing Selection Process on your MyLIU Account Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the Profile tile and update your Emergency Contact information 2. Open the University Housing tile and open the “Select a Room” link. If you have an intended roommate, follow the steps on the “Set Roommate Request Pin” to provide them with your pin. If you need assistance finding a roommate, open the appropriate RoomSync link 3. Meal plans are required for all students who live on campus; first-year students are required to select Meal Plan 1. Open the “Select a Meal Plan” tool to select your plan 4. Contact LIU Promise with any questions **Note that you can only select a room if you are registered full-time (at least 12 credits for undergraduate students; 9 credits for graduate students) for the upcoming semester, submitted the $300 housing deposit, and updated emergency contact information. Please allow 24 hours after completing these steps before selecting your room.
Sign Up for New Student Orientation Go to https://liu.edu/sharknation
1. Select your campus under the Orientation Sign-Up tile 2. Register for the correct orientation: FirstYear, Transfer, or Graduate
Complete Required Health Forms and Immunization Records
Go to https://webapps3.liu.edu/immunization All students must complete and submit these health forms before classes begin through the Student Health Portal: 1. Meningococcal Disease (Meningitis) 2. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) 3. Health Assessment Form In addition, students are required to upload proof of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine and all applicable boosters or request medical or religious exemption at https://vax.liu.edu.
Waive Health Insurance on your MyLIU Account Health insurance is automatically provided for all student athletes, students who reside on campus, international students, and students enrolled in clinical programs. If you already have health insurance you can waive the LIU insurance plan. 1. Go to https://my.liu.edu 2. Open the Financial Account tile 3. Expand the “Student Financial Links” folder in the menu and select “Student Health Insurance” 4. Log-in using your MyLIU credentials and follow the steps to waive the LIU insurance
Ensure Your Academic Progress & Success Submit All Final Official Transcripts
If you are a first-year student you must submit a final official high school transcript with proof of graduation to the Student Success Team at email@example.com. If you have earned college credits at another institution before coming to LIU, please contact each college’s registrar’s office to request an official transcript to be sent to the Student Success Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have earned college credits through exams such as Advanced Placement (AP) tests, please contact CollegeBoard to request an official transcript to be sent to the Student Success Team at email@example.com. Use LIU School Code 2070.
Secure an On-Campus Job Go to https://jobs.liu.edu
Explore on-campus employment opportunities. If you are eligible for Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds, you can filter positions using the Job Category feature.
Sign-Up for Emergency Alerts Go to https://webapps3.liu.edu/ emergencycontact
Log-in using your MyLIU credentials and update your cell phone number to begin receiving emergency alerts.
Review the Student Handbook
Go to https://www.liu.edu/about/universitypolicies/student-handbooks
Go to https://liu.edu/student-success/ learning-center
Familiarize yourself with your campus’ Student Code of Conduct and other University policies.
Reach out to the Learning Center’s Disability Support Services Team if you may need accommodations, academic adjustments, auxiliary aid, or other services related to ability.
Order your Textbooks on your MyLIU Account
Discover other academic support services offered via the Learning Center such as the Peer Tutoring Program and the Writing Center.
Complete your Resume
Go to https://liu.edu/career-success Review LIU’s Career Success platforms Big Interview for resume and interview tips and Handshake for off-campus employment.
Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the Manage Classes tile 2. Select the upcoming semester on the “View My Classes” screen 3. Select “View Books at LIU Bookstore”
Get to Know your Success Coach Go to https://my.liu.edu
1. Open the Academic Progress tile and select “Advisors” in the menu 2. Reach out to your Sucess Coach
Immerse Yourself in a Full Campus Experience Access your LIU Mobile ID
Go to https://it.liu.edu/liumobileid
Enhance your Academics through Experiential Learning Opportunities
1. Install the Duo Mobile app on your device to set-up Two-Factor authentication using your MyLIU credentials 2. Install the Transact eAccounts app on your cell phone to create your LIU MobileID using your MyLIU credentials 3. Contact IT at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
Cultivate real-world business skills well before graduation at one of LIU’s studentrun businesses across all campuses. Be sure to support these businesses throughout the year—50% of all proceeds support student scholarship.
Engage with the Campus Community Go to https://liu.edu/campus-life
Check out the Experience Shark Nation platform to access all student organizations and campus events. Download the Digital ID by Presence app on your device. Apple Devices:
Go to https://liu.edu/campus-life
Give Back through LIU Cares Go to https://liu.edu/campus-life
Our LIU Cares initiative highlights the caring and altruistic nature of our community. Discover all service and philanthropy opportunities on the Experience Shark Nation platform. FirstYear students can kick-start their involvement with the First-Year Service Experience (FYSE).
Become an Ally through LIU Together Go to https://liu.edu/campus-life
Sign-Up for Fraternity & Sorority Recruitment Go to https://liu.edu/campus-life
Long Island University is committed to creating a welcoming community in which all individuals are respected and have a sense of belonging. Explore all of our diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion programs on the Experience Shark Nation platform.
Let’s Go Sharks!
Go to https://liuathletics.com
Long Island University has several national fraternities and sororities on the Brooklyn and Post campuses. Full-time undergraduate students are eligible to join a fraternity or sorority as early as their first semester.
With 36 Division I programs and 3 spirit teams, there’s plenty of opportunities to support Shark Nation. Check out the above website for a full schedule of events.
Contact LIU Promise with any questions about fraternity and sorority recruitment.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Connect with us on Social Media @BrooklynLIUPromise @PostLIUPromise
Our mission is to provide excellence and access in private higher education to those who seek to expand their knowledge and prepare themselves for meaningful, educated lives and for service to their communities and the world.
Brooklyn Campus Sloan, Room 310 Phone: 718-488-1037 Email: Bkln-EnrollmentServices@liu.edu Post Campus Hillwood Commons, Room 270 Phone: 516-299-2323 Email: Post-EnrollmentServices@liu.edu Brooklyn Campus Pratt, Room 321 Phone: 718-488-1042 Email: Bkln-Promise@liu.edu Post Campus Hillwood Commons, Third Floor Phone: 516-299-3737 Email: Post-Promise@liu.edu