by Suzanne Collins
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Let the Hunger Games begin… Spring 2012 saw the release of the block-buster movie The Hunger Games, based on Suzanne Collins’s bestselling novel of the same name. Amazingly, as of March 28, 2012 more than 17.2 billion copies of the book were in print worldwide. (Scholastic) While there are many reasons for the popularity of the book, this much can be said – it’s suspenseful, riveting and instills questions into the minds of those who read it. Why study The Hunger Games trilogy? The themes presented in The Hunger Games can provide for hours of discussion easily tying in to many social issues present in the world today. However, for students studying English as a second language, this engaging novel is equally as valuable in providing new vocabulary, comprehension practice through captivating, interesting and suspenseful reading. The following list of questions are designed to help the reader chapter by chapter in targeting some of the facts and, in some cases, themes important for a comprehensive reading of the novel. How to proceed. Simply read each chapter for as thorough an understanding as possible (understanding vocabulary, expressions, etc. along the way.) Then once you’ve completed the chapter answer the corresponding questions in the book. Answering the questions should be easy, but if you find questions that are difficult to answer, simply go back to that chapter and reread wherever necessary so that you can easily respond to the question. You may write your responses in this booklet, or you may want to create your own Hunger Games Reading Journal. There are many blank writing journals available for sale ranging from simple to fancy. The most important! The most important thing is to enjoy what you read. The Hunger Games can be quite an enjoyable novel and you’ll find yourself turning page after page to see what happens next. As Stephen King said: “The Hunger Games is a violent, jarring, speed-rap of a novel that generates nearly constant suspense... I couldn't stop reading." So immerse yourself in English and the world of The Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!
Books in the Trilogy:
The Hunger Games Catching Fire Mockingjay
Visit the site at: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins
Table of Contents Book Three Part I “The Ashes” Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9
2 2 2 3 3 4 5 6 7 7
Part II “The Assault” Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16 Chapter 17 Chapter 18
8 9 9 10 10 11 11 12 12
Part III “The Assasin” Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 22 Chapter 23 Chapter 24 Chapter 25 Chapter 26 Chapter 27
13 13 14 14 15 15 16 16 17
List of main characters Katniss Everdeen Mrs. Everdeen (Katniss’s Mother) Gale Hawthorne Primrose Everdeen Peeta Mellark Haymitch Abernathy President Alma Coin President Coriolanus Snow Plutarch Heavensbee Finnick Odair Boggs Commander Paylor Johanna Mason
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Part I “The ASHES” Chapter 1 1. What has happened to Katniss’s hometown of District 12?
2. Whom did Gale save?
3. What did Katniss find in the house before she left to return to District 13?
4. Who left it for her?
asses unattended wreckage Chapter 2
1. Where do the people of District 13 have to live?
2. Where is Peeta?
3. Why does Gale say Peeta called for peace during the interview with Caesar Flickerman?
4. What does Katniss decide to accept at the end of the chapter?
strenuous gauge confess
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 3
1. What do Prim and Katniss talk about?
2. What does Gale do that he isn’t supposed to do?
3. What requests does Katniss make of the revolutionaries?
4. What are Plutarch’s immediate plans for Katniss?
ointment peer drawback Chapter 4
1. Who is Alma Coin?
2. After Gale and Katniss hunt what do they discuss before going back to the underground compound?
3. Explain the relationship between Coin and Katniss?
4. What condition does Coin add after explaining the list of Katniss’s requests?
recoil pedigree lack
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 5 1. For what reason are the revolutionaries changing Katniss’s appearance? What problem does the prep team encounter?
2. What does Beetee give Katniss? What’s special about it?
3. Who reacts to Katniss when she says, “ People of Panem, we fight, we dare, we end our hunger for justice.”? In what way does this person react?
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 6
1. What does Haymitch think about District 13’s current plans to “commercialize” Katniss?
2. What strategy does Haymitch propose?
3. What happened to Katniss’s pregnancy?
4. Where does Coin say the filming should take place? Why there?
5. What is the strategy of the revolutionaries in taking the Capitol?
6. How many districts are currently against the Capitol?
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 7 1. Where is Katniss taken upon landing in District 8?
2. How is Katniss dealing with the situation? To whom does she rely to help her?
3. What self-realization does Katniss have while talking to the people in the hospital?
4. What is the target of the Capitol bombers?
5. What does Cressida say to Katniss about President Snowâ€™s telecast?
6. What does Katniss say to the people of Panem during the filming at the end of the chapter?
stench hoax searing unveil
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 8 1. Weapons of warfare. What are some of the different weapons employed by the revolutionaries in the battle against the Capitol?
2. What does Katniss notice about Peeta?
3. What questions does Peeta “ask” Katniss?
furrowing sour grapes (expression) repudiate Chapter 9
1. What song does Katniss sing, and what does she tell us about its meaning?
2. In this chapter we Gale and Katniss’s relationship is unstable and uncertain, what are some of events that happen between them?
What new technology does Beetee reveal?
4. Of what does Peeta warn Katniss? What were the consequences?
wander groggily tryst
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins
Part II â€œThe ASSAULTâ€? Chapter 10
1. What does Haymitch explain to the others about Peeta?
2. Where does Prim go while every is preparing for the assault?
3. .How does Plutarch tell Katniss to behave in front of the citizens of District 13?
4. How does Katniss react?
5. What does Prim reveal to Katniss during the assault?
counterproductive outweigh uptake appropriated
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 11
1. Why does Katniss sneak out to see Finnick?
2. How does Finnick deal with his loss?
3. What does President Snow leave as a message?
warn quizzical litter harmless trickle Chapter 12
1. What possibility does Katniss contemplate?
2. What does Finnick reveal about his past during his speech in the post-bombing footage
3. What do we learn about Haymitchâ€™s loved ones?
a power play broadcast wound
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 13
1. What word does Katniss use to describe Peeta’s changed personality?
2. According to Beetee and Plutarch how was this accomplished?
3. How does Haymitch say they are trying to remedy this?
4. How does Peeta react to the treatment in regards to Katniss?
disembodied induce trigger Chapter 14
1. What is the Nut?
2. How does Gale feel about Katniss’s emotions for Peeta?
3. What are Gale’s plans for the Nut?
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 15
1. What about Gale’s plan is particularly disturbing to people from District 12?
2. When Gale says “Bring on the avalanches!” what does Katniss now realize about him?
3. In what way does Katniss show her continued bravery?
4. What is her message to the survivors?
inkling garbled rubble
1. Explain the relationship between Katniss and Johanna.
2. How does Katniss feel about what happened in District 2? How does Gale feel?
3. What news does Plutarch bring about the Capitol?
4. How does Katniss feel about herself after her meeting with Peeta??
spleen stitch bruise
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 17
1. Why canâ€™t Katniss go to the Capitol? What chance is she given to change this?
2. Describe the mood at the beginning of the dinner? What happened to change the mood?
3. Of what does Katniss think that night in bed?
shortage deem Chapter 18
1. What revelation does Katniss have during her model combat setting?
2. What setback did Johanna encounter?
3. Who shows up surprisingly at the mission in the Capitol? What reason does Katniss believe this has happened?
rig downtime giddy
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Part III â€œThe ASSASSINâ€? Chapter 19
1. How does Boggs feel about Peeta joining his squad? What measures does he take?
2. Katniss has a suspicion of Coin in the previous chapter. What is the suspicion and how is it confirmed? By whom? (2 characters)
3. What story does Peeta recount to Gale and Katniss?
4. To what does Katniss relate their battle engagement?
unleash worrisome forthcoming Chapter 20
1. What does Boggs give Katniss? What problem does this create later? What benefit does this have for Katniss?
2. What happened to Mitchell? Who is responsible?
3. How does Katniss reinforce her authority?
4. What does the Capitol report on television?
clutch tackle unsustainable
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 21 1. What does Peeta tell the others about himself and what they should do?
2. What does Katniss regret?
3. How does Snow talk about Katniss during his broadcast? Describe what happens.
divvy antics growl Chapter 22
1. Does Peeta react the way Katniss would expect of him? How does he react, what triggered him?
2. Describe what happened to Bath and Leeg 1.
3. What’s wrong with Peeta? How is he “revived?”
utterly gag shriek
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 23
1. What action prompted Tigris to help the rebels?
2. What does Katniss confess to the others? What is their reaction?
3. What do they plan to do next?
4. What is the subject of conversation between Gale and Peeta? What is the conclusion?
bundle garment breach Chapter 24 1. What do Gale and Katniss decide? What is to be done with Peeta?
2. What does Katniss fail to do for Gale? What was her motivation? How does she feel about herself after?
3. What is the reason for the children surrounding President Snowâ€™s palace? What happens to them and what does this achieve?
4. Who does Katniss lose in this chapter?
on-screen strain shiver
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 25
1. Who visits Katniss in the Capitol hospital?
2. What has happened to Gale and Peeta?
3. What news does Haymitch bring Katniss?
4. Where does Katniss stay with her mother?
5. What disturbing information does President Snow give Katniss?
falter pinch slither Chapter 26
1. What doubts does Katniss have about Prim’s death?
2. What form of revenge does Coin propose?
3. Who votes ‘yes’ and who votes ‘no’ for Coin’s propososal?
4. Whom does Katniss’s arrow hit at President Snow’s execution?
vary broach gingerly
MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins Chapter 27 1. What happens to Katniss as a result of her actions at Snow’s execution?
2. How is the rebellion resolved? Who is in power?
3. What happens to Katniss mentally when she is returned to District 12? What does Katniss do that helps us understand her state of mind?
4. What helps her heal?
gape ruckus alter EPILOGUE 1. Where do Katniss’s children play?
2. How does Katniss feel about her children learning about the Games?
3. What does Peeta say the knowledge about the Games will give the children?
If you completed all of the questions you a VICTOR! However if you missed even one, you are one of the fallen. The Hunger Games continues in the third book of the trilogy: Mockingjay …
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Personal Notes and Thoughts Feel free to express your thought and feelings after reading this book.
Comprehension questions for the Hunger Games, book 1 in the trilogy. To be used while reading the book to test your comprehension and to pro...